Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Poet Amanda Gorman's Inaugural Poem "The Hill We Climb" now banned in Florida Schools

An objecting parent cited it as "not educational and have indirectly hate messages."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2023 8:38 PM

It should be banned for its horrible poetry.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 1:14 PM

Can you imagine that ONE asshole got to decide for everyone. And why is the person with that much power allowed anonymity?

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 1:15 PM

R1s are usually clever, R1. What a waste of an R1, but don't worry, you'll get "likes" from the usual dumbasses on here.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 1:16 PM

Fuck Florida

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2023 1:21 PM

R3, oh, you mean the ones with actual good taste in poetry?

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2023 1:23 PM

Translation of ban: She's black and wrote this for Biden's inauguration

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2023 1:25 PM

So who’s the fat hillbilly with the problem?

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2023 1:26 PM

R2 It's the exact type of person you'd expect it to be. Some Cuban MAGA hag named Daily Salinas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2023 1:27 PM

Why are Republican Cubans even bigger assholes than other Republicans? It's like they pride themselves on being white nationalist pets.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2023 1:31 PM

Amazing that just one parent complaint locks the whole thing down.

Time to complain about any book that mentions christianity or white people

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2023 1:39 PM

Florida parents need to file to remove every right wing book from the library.

I read almost all of these complaints come from eleven people. Those eleven are filing hundreds of complaints and shutting down books for the whole state, millions of people.

If they can do it, no reason why Democrats can’t file to remove anything remotely right wing from the library. Watch it stop.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2023 1:42 PM

Good God is that woman heinous.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2023 1:43 PM

An example of Amanda's horrid poetry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2023 1:48 PM

Can we just ban Florida?

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2023 1:56 PM

Click to see the ugly bitch and read a thread about her white supremacist ties. Who's going to tell her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2023 1:57 PM

I love the detail that the complainer seems to think the poem/book was written by Oprah Winfrey.

Stupid, stupid cocksucker

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2023 1:58 PM

Cubans are fucking crazy

I don’t even really believe in Communism but it was a useful way to get the biggest assholes off the island

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2023 2:00 PM

Florida… where swamp people live.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2023 2:04 PM

Overrated hack. Her poetry reads like an emotional young person imitating better artists. Gorman is meant to be their new Maya Angelou, Tracy K Smith, Rita Dove, Gwendolyn Brooks, etc. but it all reads as fancy summer writing program homework.

She got pushed as the hot, new thing in a field desperate to gain relevancy with the Gen Z by issuing SJW brownie points for easy material. All the while upholding tried and true stereotypes we see across the upper echelons of academia which prefers to compartmentalize their minorities (i.e.- black people writing about black things).

It worked. Gorman went to Harvard (and therefore has access to the Obamas), is signed with IMG Models, and was interviewed by Oprah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2023 2:05 PM

Archived version of the article at r13

[quote] Take the poem away from the moment of delivery and look at the actual text, and The Hill We Climb turns out, I think, to be just a bit rubbish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2023 2:08 PM

Thanks! Now send that wetback back.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2023 2:09 PM

Now you see, R1? I don't mind R19's criticism. At least R19 put effort into his critique.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2023 2:09 PM

R15 Already posted R8.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2023 2:10 PM

I hate Florida. Really honest question: how does anyone who is banning these books, attacking the gay community rationally justify that it is in furtherance of free speech? It obviously isn’t but I can’t understand how anyone who has passed first grade could even buy into that and obviously lots of idiots do. The Cato institute lists Florida as number 2 in support of libertarian values and doesn’t even mention any of these laws; meanwhile they go after other states for seatbelt laws. Even if it’s bullshit, what is their argument?

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2023 2:15 PM

Let's just remember that ALL of this bullshit they're doing in Florida started with unhinged progressives. Canceling everything and everyone they could. Now, it's happening on the far right. Why is this so shocking to anyone?

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2023 2:15 PM

R21 Gorman is black not latino. Wrong racial epithet.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2023 2:17 PM

Both suck. A) The MAGAT parent and Florida for shutting gown a poet. And B) Gorman's poetry.

It's lose lose - many times, nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2023 2:19 PM

R25, list all of the "unhinged progressive" things done as you omitted that word in describing the far-right...who tried to overthrow the entire govt, but that's not unhinged, right?

So your defense of the right-wing being fascistic is "You progressives made us beat you"?

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2023 2:19 PM

The Hill We Climb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2023 2:20 PM

But I'm sure that ugly Cuban woman would be fine with the Ten Commandments in public schools, right?

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2023 2:22 PM

[quote]Without a single NOTE about the African slaver billionaires

For fuck sake, now you're just being an hysterical douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2023 2:23 PM

[quote]Overrated hack.

I am so fucking sick and tired of the halfwits like r19 who absolutely flood Datalounge with their "it sucked anyway" excuses about EVERY bigoted thing that happens in the world.

Books get banned? Good, they were overrated anyway. Homophobic laws get passed? Good, teachers shouldn't talk about their private lives anyway. Stores have to take items off the shelves because of death threats? Good, they were tacky items anyway. Gay organizations get disinvited from a ceremony that was meant to honor their charitable work? Good, those fake nuns are offensive to Catholics anyway.

Fuck every single one of you who acts like this, you childish morons.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2023 2:24 PM

Now if they banned it on literary-merit grounds you could see it . . .

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2023 2:25 PM

R32, at least R19 stated Florida is in the wrong, but I agree with you on the assholes who use their personal dislikes to be flippant about censorship or what is absolutely fascist.

You can dislike her work, but to be so apathetic about what is being done is pretty disgusting. It's not cute anymore being so unbothered by what the right-wing is doing and then stupidly trying to pull the "both sides" horseshit. This is why a terrorist, rapist, stupid dogshit became president and is allowed to run again. We've now normalized anti-democratic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2023 2:33 PM

[quote][R32], at least [R19] stated Florida is in the wrong

With respect, I don't think adding a little postscript in the name field that says Florida is wrong is really saying much.

Did you guys know that only people who are logged in can see what's in the Posted By line? So anyone who isn't a DLer and who happens to see r19's post won't see that "Florida is wrong" signature.

Not that this is an important point, I just don't think most people on DL know that's how these threads look when you're not logged in.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2023 2:41 PM

bow...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2023 3:34 PM

r25 in the *Why is violence against men still considered funny/acceptable to some degree?* thread:

[quote]OP, remember that DL is trolled by a lot of lesbians and sexually frustrated white women over the age of 50. So of course they’re going to take issue with you. The truth is that we’re in a matriarchal society. The myth of male power is just that, a myth. And women often find the abuse and torture of men as either humorous or justified. Most of them are vile.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2023 3:38 PM

Some of us think Gorman is mediocre at best and an identity artist, not a poet. We have a right to that opinion and we don't have to shut up because some deplorable racist cunts want to censor her. I don't want to censor her. And she still mostly sucks.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2023 10:26 PM

R3, you still don't want to admit that I was right, and everyone agrees with me. Ha!

R1

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2023 1:21 AM

“I’m not a reader. I’m not a book person,” says Florida woman who was caught promoting a Nazi propaganda book on her Facebook page.

This is the same non-reading woman who got Amanda Gorman's poetry restricted in a Florida public school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2023 1:22 PM

[quote] Let's just remember that ALL of this bullshit they're doing in Florida started with unhinged progressives. Canceling everything and everyone they could. Now, it's happening on the far right. Why is this so shocking to anyone?

BULLSHIT!!! Cancelling a teacher who quotes Hitler -- an enemy of America, thousands of American men died defeating him -- is not the same as cancelling an inauguration poem intended to inspire ALL American to move toward a more perfect union!!! This white supremacy run amok, Americans finding nazism preferable to democracy. What a f*cking hateful moron you are to compare the two!

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2023 1:29 PM

Florida is nuts. But it's getting worse in other places too. We're doomed.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2023 5:16 PM

"I'm not a reader" says it all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2023 5:28 PM

R38 sucks and probably reads Nicholas Sparks. Your "identity" comments give you away

by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2023 8:19 PM

R27 thinks we should ban anything he doesn't like. How would you feel if someone banned the Bill O'Reilly books that you love so much?

by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2023 8:21 PM

Book-banning moms = Klanned Karenhood

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2023 8:21 PM

If these book-burning PTA CUNTS knew how to read, then they'd be able to get real jobs and wouldn't be stuck trading gash for a shot at a working man's whiskey.

by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2023 8:29 PM

[quote]Some of us think Gorman is mediocre at best and an identity artist, not a poet. We have a right to that opinion and we don't have to shut up because some deplorable racist cunts want to censor her. I don't want to censor her. And she still mostly sucks.

Do you need attention, r38? Is that what you need?

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2023 8:41 PM

Nazi mom "apologizes":

*The Florida mother who complained that Amanda Gorman's poem "The Hill We Climb" is hate speech, which prompted a high school to restrict access to the works, was busted for posting antisemitic memes on her Facebook page.

Daily Salinas is now apologizing, claiming she has "love" for the Jewish community, Jewish Telegraphic Agency reports.

"I want to apologize to the Jewish community," Salinas told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency on Wednesday. According to the outlet, she was called out for sharing portions of "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion," on social media, which is "a notorious antisemitic forgery written more than a century ago in Russia," JTA writes.

"I'm not what the post says," Salinas said. "I love the Jewish community."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2023 9:52 PM

She posted a notorious, and all too influential, anti-Jewish forgery but says she loves the Jewish community? Why do we let these fascist bottom-feeders get away with their backpedaling and gaslighting?

by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2023 10:22 PM

Nobody in the Jewish community should give a shit about this woman. Nobody in any community should.

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2023 10:35 PM

R49 Thanks for finding this.

What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2023 3:05 AM

R1 gave himself 17 w&w votes.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2023 3:41 AM

R53, envy becomes you.

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2023 4:25 PM

Cunt who started the bans says she only read parts of the works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2023 8:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!