Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Holy Shit! Gene Vincent Looked Twenty Years Ahead of His Time In 1960.

This is How Rock Stars Dressed In The '80s! See Bruce. See Jim Morrison. See David...He looks anything but dated in the clip......Would clearly be a musical trail blazer in music and trend setting if he lived. Andy Warhol and the factory would have welcomed him with open arms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2023 2:29 AM

yes, very, very Jim Morrison, and yeah, he'd fit right in with the Warhol crowd at Max's Kansas City

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 2:16 AM

Agree, OP. Fabulous. I feel this way about the Shangri-Las too. The New York punks idolized them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 2:19 AM

Standard 50s Rockabilly.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 2:21 AM

You are correct, OP. I've never seen this clip but I agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2023 2:22 AM

The Beatles were big fans of him too, in their early Hamburg leather boy days.

Much of late 50s/early 60s music and the rockabilly / girl group style was being worshipped in underground circles in the following 15-20 years, all the way up to new wave. See Elvis Costello and The B-52s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2023 2:24 AM

Jim Morrison died in 1971. He wasn’t dressing this way in the 80s. And just because he had leather pants doesn’t mean he looked like this nerd.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2023 2:32 AM

I imagine parents hated Gene Vincent for different reasons than they hated Elvis.

Elvis looked like he might seduce your daughter; Gene looked like a methed-out gas station attendant who might rape her.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2023 3:14 AM

It sounds like a song Tarantino would choose for one of his murder-torture scenes, with a leather-clad psychopath who looks and acts like Vincent slicing off body parts to the rockabilly music.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2023 3:41 AM

Here's the sequence: Gene Vincent, 1960. See above. Then Elvis 1968 - view clip, then Jim Morrison

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2023 4:45 PM

Then Jim Morrison

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2023 4:47 PM

1970, I believe

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2023 4:49 PM

Absolutely true, OP...Buddy Holley looked like a fucking nerd, as did Phil and Don. Even Little Richard was tame. Performing in suit and tie, for christ's sake.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2023 4:54 PM

Jan & Dean were all about good grooming...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2023 4:57 PM

He looks like Dean Martin's cousin or something. I like his style though.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2023 5:09 PM

I had never heard of him, but he's growing on me quickly. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2023 5:10 PM

Gene Vincent was a remarkable presence and a great singer. Influenced many others.

Oddly, pre-Beatles there was another amazing Gene, Gene Pitney, who had a beautiful voice and had 16 top 40 hits, wrote songs for others, and is also totally forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2023 5:25 PM

I love Gene Pitney — "Town Without Pity," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," and my favorite the oh-so-dramatic "Half Heaven, Half Heartache."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2023 12:34 AM

These bitches all stole my look, especially you, Little Richard. Bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2023 2:19 AM

And Bob's Your Uncle

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2023 2:20 AM

Aw fuck you, pansies, I'm the one who brought leather into the mainstream. Not that skinny-ass Tom of Finland. Look at my clip you wet ones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2023 2:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!