Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eva Longoria Calls Out Hollywood: 'A White Male Can Direct' a $200 Million Flop and 'Get Another One.' I Can't.

Eva Longoria put Hollywood on notice during her Kering Women in Motion talk at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival.

The “Desperate Housewives” alum, who was joined by University of Southern California Annenberg professor and researcher Dr. Stacy L. Smith, is making her feature directorial debut with “Flamin’ Hot,” an inspirational story about a Frito-Lay janitor who invented Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. The film won an audience award at the SXSW Film Festival.

As a female director, a first-time director and a Latina director, Longoria said she “felt the weight of my community” and “the weight of every female director” when production started on “Flamin’ Hot.” Speaking with Variety chief correspondent Elizabeth Wagmeister, Longoria noted that Hollywood does not play fair when it comes to films directed by women flopping versus male directors. There can be no margin of error for a director like Longoria, as one flop could cost her another directorial gig, she says.

“We don’t get a lot of bites at the apple,” Longoria said about Latina directors. “My movie wasn’t low budget by any means — it wasn’t $100 million, but it wasn’t $2 million. When was the last Latina-directed studio film? It was like 20 years ago. We can’t get a movie every 20 years.”

Longoria continued, “The problem is if this movie fails, people go, ‘Oh Latino stories don’t work…female directors really don’t cut it.’ We don’t get a lot of at-bats. A white male can direct a $200 million film, fail and get another one. That’s the problem. I get one at-bat, one chance, work twice as hard, twice as fast, twice as cheap.”

“You really carry the generational traumas with you into the making of the film,” Longoria said. “For me, it fueled me. I was determined.”

Dr. Smith — founder of the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, which this past week unveiled the The Inclusion List with the Adobe Foundation — praised Longoria for “walking the walk,” having worked closely with the actor-producer-director on the Inclusion Initiative, which provides research on diversity and inclusion in entertainment.

“This was a collaborative effort to reward folks that are doing well on-screen when it comes to representation across multiple categories: gender, race, ethnicity, LGBTQ+ as well as people with disabilities and over the age of 65,” Smith said, explaining the Inclusion List. “Are we showing the stories that aren’t told? And then who is working behind the camera?”

“The metric in which you measure success is important,” Longoria added. She said that studios or networks will pat themselves on the back, saying, “We’ve doubled the amount of women behind the camera!” But Longoria says, “They’ve gone from one to two. And you’re like, ‘Okay, technically, you did, but you still only hired two women.’ So, how you measure success is really important. And inclusion being that metric is so awesome because you can applaud the people who are doing it right.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 29, 2023 9:14 PM

(Cont.)

With “Flamin’ Hot,” Longoria was adamant on making an inspirational story about Latinos with characters who resembled her own family, from her father to her uncles. The motivational and hopeful story looks at how corporate America underestimates the Hispanic community. The same can be said for Hollywood studios, Longoria observed.

“28% of ticket buyers at the box office are Latino,” she said. “Your film will not succeed if you don’t have the Latino audience. Do you know how many Latinos showed up for ‘Crazy Rich Asians’? Do you know how many Latinos bought a ticket for ‘Fast and the Furious’? We over-index at moviegoing, so why shouldn’t there be content for us if we are the ticket buyers? If we are the viewers? … For me, I take great pride in throwing around that buying-power weight. If you don’t speak to us, we may not buy that movie ticket.”

Even with the strides that have been made with Latino inclusion in Hollywood, Longoria says that not only is there a long way to go, but, statistically, the industry is moving backward.

“We’re still underrepresented in front of the camera, we’re still underrepresented behind the camera, we’re still not tapping into the females of the Latino community,” Longoria said. “We were at 7% in TV and film, now we’re at 5%, so the myth that Hollywood is so progressive is a myth when you look at the data.”

“The illusion is that Hollywood is progressive,” she added. “The reality is that we’re still far behind in equal representation.”

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2023 3:57 PM

She’s not wrong…she’s not…

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2023 3:58 PM

Sweetheart, live by the sword, die by the sword. Let's not forget the ONLY reason you got this gig in the first place was because you ARE a "Latina female." And what the fuck qualifies you to direct a multi-million dollar budget film? You were a fourth banana on a terrible show 15 years ago. Aren't you actually taking work from a qualified Latina female director?

Fucking whiny cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2023 4:01 PM

There better be licking of dusty fingers in the film, or it’s 100% unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2023 4:02 PM

It’s always the talentless and not in demand ones that complain the most.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2023 4:07 PM

What lie was told? That’s what every time some white cunt speaks about tokenism I reassure them, bitch no matter how many flops you make you will always get another chance.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2023 4:10 PM

R6 = Eva

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2023 4:13 PM

If any white director gets a second chance it's because they had a highly profitable film sometime early in their career.

Seriously, who the fuck wants to see Eva Longoria's point of view? Also, Mexico has plenty of wonderful directors. They just don't work in Hollywood because Hollywood was created by white men. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2023 4:16 PM

She looks beautiful at age 48 (I thought she was older, actually). Whatever plastic surgeries she's had were well-done. Still looks like herself.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2023 4:18 PM

48 my ass! This bitch is over 50.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2023 4:30 PM

Longoria is simplifying things to a ridiculous degree to try and make her very incorrect point.

Directors, ESPECIALLY studio directors, are NOT where the buck stops when decisions have to be made for a film, and there is so much more to a film's success than what the director does on set. There are producers making decisions, studio heads, marketing chiefs, test screenings, etc, etc, etc. A director is lucky if what comes to the screen even resembles half of what they intended. And this is why directors work over and over, because its not whether the film was successful that will ultimately keep you working in the studio system, it's whether you brought the film in on time, on budget and played the company man. If she actually had any fucking experience in the matter, she'd know that, but that would ruin her bullshit narrative.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2023 4:37 PM

It makes her feel better about her embarrassing flop and gives her sycophants a rationalization why she is dead meat in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2023 4:43 PM

Yes, but not every White male has the opportunity to suck a cock to get a role, eh Eva?

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2023 4:51 PM

Movies about marketing shoes. Movies about junk food. Movies about video games. Yep, movies are better than ever.

Great Alan Pakula documentary out now includes comments about how the "Hollywood golden New Wave era ended and only crap gets made now." Longoria may be right about women directors in Hollywood... but Red Hot Cheetos? Really?

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2023 4:51 PM

She's not wrong

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2023 4:52 PM

So, by her logic, if her dumb movie about Cheetos flops, will it be the Latino community’s fault for not showing up? Or will it still be “Hollywood’s” fault for not supporting a Latina director?

If anything Eva Longoria has been given too much credence by Hollywood as a producer, and now, as a director. As someone upthread pointed out, she’s a has-been actress from an old series. Why the industry treats her production company as a major player is a mystery. Even the name is sophomoric and unimaginative: UnbeliEVAble Entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2023 5:02 PM

Um, yes she is wrong and it's already been deconstructed.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2023 5:02 PM

I wish Longoria would actually name names when she talks about these white men who get chance after chance to direct blockbusters after consistently losing that much money. Does she mean someone like Damien Chazelle? Because that guy is going to direct again, but for the foreseeable future his budgets are going to be a lot closer to La La Land than Babylon.

If you look at a list of the biggest flops of all time, it generally includes movies by directors whose careers never recovered, alongside a handful of movies by directors for whom the flops were aberrations after consistently making studios a ton of money, like Spielberg for The BFG.

The idea that white male directors can move effortlessly from major money loser to major money loser simply is not true.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2023 5:03 PM

This thread is why I love DL. DLers can cut through the bullshit and tell the truth.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2023 5:08 PM

Who the fuck wants to watch a movie about the guy who invented Flamin' Hot Cheetos? JFC of all the stories that could be told, you pick this bullshit to make a movie of?

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2023 5:09 PM

I'm sure it will be just as gripping as the movie about the guy who invented automatic windshield wipers!

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2023 5:17 PM

She's right

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2023 5:21 PM

How many fucking times are you going to type the same thing, R22?

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2023 5:23 PM

She's right

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2023 5:25 PM

[quote]“Flamin’ Hot,” an inspirational story about a Frito-Lay janitor who invented Flamin’ Hot Cheetos.

That's an Oscar nomination right there. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2023 5:34 PM

Has anyone noticed how many biopics have been made lately?

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2023 5:35 PM

R25 Eva "Straight to Streaming" Longoria.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2023 5:36 PM

She's got one talent. Curating and impressive digital Rolodex. She's been everywhere for over a decade and is taken seriously for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2023 5:45 PM

R23 Once

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2023 6:08 PM

You've done it more than once, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2023 6:26 PM

Why does she want to direct a flop? Maybe if she wanted to direct a hit she get more people interested in her projects?

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2023 6:29 PM

I'm surprised she's still working at all. Didn't J-Lo try to tank her entire career after she allegedly slept with Marc Anthony and got photographed sitting on his lap?

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2023 6:36 PM

The story itself is a lie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2023 6:39 PM

R7 Shut the fuck up and never speak again.

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2023 6:41 PM

So she’s doing what Billy Eichner did with ‘Bros.’ and is preemptively blaming the audience for her film’s (expected?) failure.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2023 6:46 PM

Eva starting to grow a man face

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2023 6:46 PM

Awwwwwwww, po' ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2023 6:48 PM

R35 No she didn’t. She is iterating that she should be allowed to flourish in the industry despite the film’s failure.

You can make flop after flop if your a blondie named Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2023 6:52 PM

I agree that women, non-White and non-straight people should receive more chances to tell their stories. I may not see every single one of these releases, but it should not always about me, others want relatable entertainment, too.

But, diversified entertainment usually leads to smaller chunks of profit, since they can't all copy the Black Panther action movie formula.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2023 6:59 PM

My apologies. ... but it should not always BE about me, ...

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2023 7:00 PM

R38 and she can, like hundreds of others do. Jim Cummings made his last movie ‘The Beta Test’ for $300k from crowdfunding. It’s turned a profit and Arrow have put out a great blu-ray release in the U.K. Latino filmmaker Robert Rodriguez started with micro budgets, self funded. etc. No-one is going to give Eva Longoria a $200m budget because she hasn’t proven herself as a director yet. Her argument is quite ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2023 7:07 PM

It doesn't matter what you think of her, you have to be an obtuse asshole to claim what she said isn't true and has been for a very, very long time, because we've all seen countless white males get to fail upward...that would include the last president. Look at Wall St/banking/corporations. Countless assholes who get to fail and then leave with ridiculous golden parachutes. They can all declare bankruptcy over and over again. I mean look at Musk. How much was he allowed to borrow despite Twitter being in the red?

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2023 7:31 PM

[quote]No-one is going to give Eva Longoria a $200m budget because she hasn’t proven herself as a director yet. Her argument is quite ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is you trying to change what she said and told this lie. She never said she expected a $200M budget. She's saying that DESPITE a white male failing after given a $200M budget, he gets opportunities to do it again.

You can't even be honest about what she said. Says it all.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote] There can be no margin of error for a director like Longoria, as one flop could cost her another directorial gig, she says.

It's the exact opposite for actresses. Margot Robbie, Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams and Julianne Moore have starred in one flop after another, and yet they still work constantly, and in major movies. West Side Story was the biggest flop of 2021, and yet Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose and Mike Faist are being cast in several upcoming projects. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2023 7:46 PM

They same people thinking she's wrong are the same idiots who buy into the "Asia will never watch a black movie" narrative.

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2023 7:49 PM

[quote] So, by her logic, if her dumb movie about Cheetos flops, will it be the Latino community’s fault for not showing up? Or will it still be “Hollywood’s” fault for not supporting a Latina director?

[quote] If anything Eva Longoria has been given too much credence by Hollywood as a producer, and now, as a director. As someone upthread pointed out, she’s a has-been actress from an old series. Why the industry treats her production company as a major player is a mystery. Even the name is sophomoric and unimaginative: UnbeliEVAble Entertainment.

The movie is getting released on Disney+ and Hulu. She's probably secretly sour that it's not getting a theatrical release. As R33 said, the story is a lie and I'm wondering if it got dumped off on streaming to avoid further issues with Frito-Lay.

Eva is quite arrogant in how she talks about Latinos. She says things like "my community". She's acting as if all Latinos are monolithic and are living the same lives. There are different Latino communities in the US and socioeconomics can vary in Latino communities and families. If Eva was to go and hang out with Cuban Americans in Florida she probably wouldn't see them as part of " her community" and the Cuban Americans probably wouldn't view her as part of their community. If you put Eva in a room with Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz, it would turn into an ugly shouting match.

Even in Texas, she probably wouldn't fit with Mexican Americans who are opposed to illegal immigration, DACA, or open borders.

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2023 7:57 PM

[quote] You can make flop after flop if your a blondie named Ryan.

Who?

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2023 8:00 PM

[quote] It's the exact opposite for actresses. Margot Robbie, Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams and Julianne Moore have starred in one flop after another, and yet they still work constantly, and in major movies.

Actresses are usually represented by male managers and talent agencies which push and hype their clients to casting agents and studio bosses, and they manage to line up several projects for their clients, so they work on a planned time schedule for years. While flops are unfortunate, the mangers and talent agencies still receive their cut from getting their clients cast.

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2023 8:02 PM

Sorry, the MANAGERS and talent agencies still receive their cut from getting their clients cast.

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2023 8:03 PM

[quote] They same people thinking she's wrong are the same idiots who buy into the "Asia will never watch a black movie" narrative.

Sure, Jan. That’s why Disney hid the black guy in the Star Wars ads, covered Black Panther’s face, and is promoting The Little Mermaid being played by a blue actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2023 8:04 PM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2023 8:04 PM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2023 8:05 PM

[quote] West Side Story was the biggest flop of 2021, and yet Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose and Mike Faist are being cast in several upcoming projects. Why is that?

Because the studios are granted loans based on DEI.

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2023 8:07 PM

[quote] I'm surprised she's still working at all. Didn't J-Lo try to tank her entire career after she allegedly slept with Marc Anthony and got photographed sitting on his lap?

Well, her career will never be on J-Lo's level. Longoria has probably fucked the right men in the industry to maintain her career. I wouldn't be surprised if she has some scandal in which her husband catches her fucking some studio exec and files for divorce right away.

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2023 8:07 PM

Please. She's talking out of her ass. And if R42/R43 refuses to acknowledge the several points made that it is NOT the director's doing 9 times out of 10 if a movie fails, then there's no point in arguing with them.

If you want to look at directors who purposely went overbudget and torpedoed their films for whatever reason, guess what- they AREN'T working. But the ones who can be relied upon to get the job done whether or not their films make money are. And that's a big difference, one Longoria is too obtuse (willfully or otherwise) to understand. As are you, R42/R43.

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2023 8:08 PM

R51 lol

R52 lol

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2023 8:11 PM

Eva Longoria needs to be raked over the coals for directing a movie that is spreading a bullshit story.

by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2023 8:14 PM

She didn’t seem to have any remorse completely ripping off Stanley Tucci to do a food show about her cultural heritage. Will she write a memoir about her cancer as well?

by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2023 8:18 PM

R50, so did Asians walk out of the film when black people showed up on the screen?

by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2023 8:18 PM

[quote]What's ridiculous is you trying to change what she said and told this lie. She never said she expected a $200M budget. She's saying that DESPITE a white male failing after given a $200M budget, he gets opportunities to do it again.

OK let's name names. WHO are these male directors who are allowed to fail big over and over?

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote]It doesn't matter what you think of her, you have to be an obtuse asshole to claim what she said isn't true and has been for a very, very long time, because we've all seen countless white males get to fail upward...that would include the last president. Look at Wall St/banking/corporations. Countless assholes who get to fail and then leave with ridiculous golden parachutes. They can all declare bankruptcy over and over again. I mean look at Musk. How much was he allowed to borrow despite Twitter being in the red?

R42, you have to a blithering idiot to write such incoherent post loaded with information that doesn't have any bearing on what we're arguing. What does the policy of golden parachutes for corporate executives have to do with directing opportunities in Hollywood? What do the careers Elon Musk or Donald Trump apply to anything she said? The existence of bad white men who got opportunities they didn't deserve doesn't mean that what Longoria specifically alleges happens, because it doesn't.

You thought you could cite Donald Trump and Elon Musk and we'd all boo at those names and cheer at your irrelevant diatribe, but you failed with a ridiculous appeal to emotion that had absolutely nothing to do with what we're actually talking about, which is whether white male directors get multiple opportunities to make massive flops in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2023 8:42 PM

R58 She's probably a sociopath. The fact that the movie is going to straight to streaming services is probably karma for all of the assholes who pushed the project through even though Richard 's claims were debunked.

by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2023 8:54 PM

Eva, maybe you're not a director.

by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2023 9:05 PM

OP you've posted a lot here, and I'm curious why on earth - of all topics - this particular one has you so angry?

by Anonymousreply 64May 23, 2023 9:08 PM

She knew the story was fraudulent and filmed it anyway.

Why do I want to waste my time with a bullshit movie that glorifies a fraud?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 23, 2023 9:08 PM

I would love it if some journalist had the balls to question her point blank why she got involved with a horseshit story.

by Anonymousreply 66May 23, 2023 9:11 PM

The story ought to be "Why i went ahead and made this docudrama knowing it was based on a lie." She's trying to change the subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 23, 2023 9:12 PM

She’s overcompensating. Like with John Leguizamo’s current rehab tour on MSNBC. Both were found to have nearly 100% European DNA on an episode of PBS’ “Who Do You Think You Are?” Kinda difficult to play the “down with the peeps” game when you’re just a plain old White female. I laughed out loud in her recent CNN show: “Searching For Mexico” when she made reference to her (1%) Mayan heritage. It’s an old game I lived through having my Black kids in LAUSD schools. All that La Raza bravado went out of the window when it was just Latin kids and my daughters: they became the ‘n’ word and their tormentors let it be known they were very Caucasian.

by Anonymousreply 68May 23, 2023 9:14 PM

Well, one finds one's own level in the business, regardless of skill or work or celebration of victimhood.

Right, Ms. Flamin' Hot?

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2023 9:14 PM

I guess she's sort of right but they consider the previous body of work. If you had a hit before they want you keep in the race. You're like the horse that surprised everyone and won.

But after about three strikes, they don't let you make movies anymore. See Richard Kelly's career. He had a hit with Donnie Darko but everything after sucked, Domino, Southland Tales. He probably should have stuck to independent film making.

M Night had his hit with the Sixth Sense so they kept letting him do what he wanted. Hoping he would have another hit.

They don't usually give an unproven money unless it's like Barbra Streisand vouching for her hairstylist to make Wild Wild West.

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2023 9:25 PM

She may not be wrong, but I'd prefer to watch a Latina/Chicano artist with true grit (and LGB), like Michelle C. Bonilla.

Great actress and writer, and DEAD SEXY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2023 9:39 PM

R70, Shyamalan isn't the best example, because even though I think he's terrible, he is remarkably consistent about making money for studios. He keeps his budgets low and almost always makes a massive profit, and has ever since The Sixth Sense. Even movies that everyone hated like The Last Airbender and After Earth doubled their production budget.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2023 9:44 PM

I'm hoping she fails, solely because she's a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2023 10:21 PM

She doesn't seem like a horrible person. She seems facey facey, try hard, operator, average IQ.

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2023 10:32 PM

She pretty much set herself up for failure by going through with directing the project when she knew it was a bullshit story.

by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2023 10:44 PM

[quote] so did Asians walk out of the film when black people showed up on the screen?

They paid their money and what they did later nobody gives a shit about. No refunds.

by Anonymousreply 76May 23, 2023 11:01 PM

[quote] Shyamalan isn't the best example, because even though I think he's terrible, he is remarkably consistent about making money for studios. He keeps his budgets low and almost always makes a massive profit, and has ever since The Sixth Sense. Even movies that everyone hated like The Last Airbender and After Earth doubled their production budget.

You're wrong about Night. The Last Airbender and After Earth were flops, huge budget flops, and Night pretty much had to start over from scratch after them. But he did, by making low budget films that have turned a profit. Knock at the Cabin was a miss, but the budget wasn't so bloated that it's going to count as a strike against him.

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2023 1:51 AM

[quote] OK let's name names. WHO are these male directors who are allowed to fail big over and over?

Yes. Name names!

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2023 1:52 AM

R77, The Last Airbender made $319 million worldwide off of a budget of $150 million. After Earth didn’t quite double its budget, but it came very close ($250 off of $130). They were terrible movies and were bad for his career because of that, but in terms of financial performance they did okay.

You think of them as massive flops because they were awful, not because they lost a lot of money, which they did not,

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2023 2:14 AM

[quote] She didn’t seem to have any remorse completely ripping off Stanley Tucci to do a food show about her cultural heritage.

I guess in your blind rage you missed the part that Stanley Tucci is one of the producers of Searching For Mexico.

[quote] Stanley Tucci may be done searching for Italy, but Eva Longoria is ready to begin her own journey in the land of her ancestors, Mexico, in the all new series Eva Longoria: Searching for Mexico. Executive produced by Tucci and the production company behind his original show, Searching for Mexico is a spinoff/continuation of the travel docuseries Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2023 2:16 AM

Ava DuVernay bombed with A Wrinkle In Time and still gets chance after chance. Mira Nair has made flop after flop (Vanity Fair, Amelia, Queen Of Katwe) and still gets chances because of Monsoon Wedding and because, in today’s Hollywood, the party line is that only women can tell stories about women.

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2023 2:30 AM

No, R79, I think of them as massive flops because I know how to count box office and what films really spend and make.

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2023 2:32 AM

Female directors usually suck and/or are overrated like Greta Gerwig.

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2023 2:36 AM

Greta Gerwig both sucks AND is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2023 2:37 AM

She’s right.

by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2023 2:44 AM

Straight white males will always find succor on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 86May 24, 2023 2:50 AM

Eva is either a scammer or got scammed in directing this. She's deflecting to try to control the real narrative, which she doesn't want to get out because it would mean her film was promoting a con-artist lie, which does the opposite of show "her community" in a good light--"Montañez’s story also clearly worked because it was mostly true. He did work in a factory and rise to the C-suite. He did work on products aimed toward a Latino market — just, as it turns out, not this product. But the actual truth — that a spicy product developed to stave off competition from Eagle Snacks was probably invented by a bunch of people with business degrees — is just a depressing reminder of how marketing and product development normally works. Oh well."

by Anonymousreply 87May 24, 2023 2:53 AM

R20 I woulda bought three tickets, one for each of my booty cheeks. And bought my girl Christy Metz along too.

by Anonymousreply 88May 24, 2023 3:14 AM

R86, listen closely and you’ll hear the obese elderly yt gay male triggered screaming through your phone just scrolling this thread

by Anonymousreply 89May 24, 2023 3:15 AM

R87, you could make a very compelling story about that included the fraud. In fact, I think it would probably be better, and would offer a Latino actor a more complex and challenging role than the more idealized story offers.

by Anonymousreply 90May 24, 2023 3:15 AM

R87 I wondered if agreed to direct because she had to return to someone in the business. She's still a piece of shit for having involvement in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 91May 24, 2023 4:19 AM

[quote] I'm hoping she fails, solely because she's a horrible person.

She has already had a few failures. She was an EP on a few tv shows Telenovela, Grand Hotel, and Gordita Chronicles which were all canned after one season. On a TV level, she keeps getting chance after chance. On her IMDB, there are a bunch of in-development projects listed. When you look up info on them-several were announced years ago. The projects were probably dropped or are stuck in development.

Deep down she knows a lot of people aren't going to bother watching this movie because the "janitor invented hot cheetos" thing has been debunked. The ones who do watch might google around out of curiosity and will probably feel a bit duped. There's something phony baloney about Eva Longoria and she likely has some enemies in the business. She was dumb to run her mouth recently. It's going to bite her in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 92May 25, 2023 11:49 PM

She probably thought this was a good idea, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2023 12:26 AM

[quote]It’s always the talentless and not in demand ones that complain the most.

You got that right

by Anonymousreply 94May 26, 2023 12:33 AM

[quote]48 my ass! This bitch is over 50.

She's over 55. Easily.

by Anonymousreply 95May 26, 2023 12:35 AM

I would argue that Longoria has benefitted from pretty privilege in her career. She will probably get other opportunities after this movie.

by Anonymousreply 96May 26, 2023 12:35 AM

Jane Campion has made flops but will always get another chance because she actually has talent. The front loading of grievance is really getting tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 97May 26, 2023 1:35 AM

They've already done this is telenovelas and Mexican film but I think an HBO Max historical fiction series on life in the Americas in the 1500s would be interesting.

There's so much brutal history there. Most Americans don't know the details of how enslaved the Natives were, or the story of Malinche, the Aztec Princess who was in love with Hernan Cortes and bore his child.

There is so much there to work with. The collision of American indigenous and European worlds and the mestizo blending into one. I would like to see Tenochtitlan in it's historical accuracy.

We know a lot about English Kings and Queens but barely anything in our own backyard except sanitized mythical Christopher Columbus stories.

by Anonymousreply 98May 26, 2023 1:41 AM

Dances with Wolves was really popular. I could see a similar material working for the people a few latitude lines below.

by Anonymousreply 99May 26, 2023 1:43 AM

Her eyes are cold . Never warmed up to this midget

by Anonymousreply 100May 26, 2023 1:54 AM

As a Latino myself, I can honestly say that 98% of the movies made in the U.S. by Latinos about Latinos are trash, and the directors don't deserve another chance.

When I want to see a movie about my people, I usually watch something made in Latin America.

"Flamin' Hot" is getting good reviews, though, so we'll see.

My understanding is it's based on a lie, though. Supposedly Flamin' Hot Cheetos weren't really invented by the Latino janitor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 26, 2023 2:21 AM

In all honesty, who gives a crap whether a "Latina" directs a film of any budget unless a specific person is being illegally prevented from doing so? It shouldn't matter and in fact it doesn't!

I'm not sure who these imaginary Latina directors are who aren't being given $200 films to direct after directing a flop? None of this is happening! Directors of big budget films are in a wildly competitive pursuit and those who fight their way into this tiny circle have been potting this stuff for years with lots of luck woven in.

I imagine some of these directors are feared and perhaps most women are less feared, but I do not believe this is usually the case. Getting ANY feature film made is a Sisyphean task on any day to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 102May 26, 2023 2:24 AM

[quote]Great Alan Pakula documentary out now includes comments about how the "Hollywood golden New Wave era ended and only crap gets made now."

The good stuff has migrated to TV. Which should provide a way for new directors to prove their worth gradually, since you can do an episode and work your way up to becoming lead director for a series. Be lead director or showrunner for a smash series and they'll probably let you at a $200M film, should you care to direct superhero crap.

Look at Taika Waititi's gradual rise through indie films and TV to Thor. That path should be ever more available now.

by Anonymousreply 103May 26, 2023 2:46 AM

Yeah she's gotta be like Marky Marky, leave the funky bunch back at Wisteria Lane and feel the movie magic calling.

Don't direct movies based on a lie. There's got to be some good stories out there. Why not her own autobiography from growing up in Selena's hometown and her family and how she made it as an actress in Hollywood? Maybe the discrimination she felt. That was a powerful moment in the Selena film. Everyday lives of people we rarely see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 26, 2023 3:32 AM

Her movie sounds like it would have been a wonderful vehicle for Cantiflas back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 105May 26, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote] Don't direct movies based on a lie. There's got to be some good stories out there. Why not her own autobiography from growing up in Selena's hometown and her family and how she made it as an actress in Hollywood?

There have been Latino NASA astronauts. Franklin Chang-Diaz who flew on seven spaceflights might be a good subject for a biopic. Joan Baez might be a good biopic subject as well.

Eva's movie should be called Flamin' Hot Pile of Bullshit. If people want an inspirational story of someone being wealthy from inventing a product, they should read up on Bette Nesmith Graham.

by Anonymousreply 106May 26, 2023 4:44 AM

^^^ R106 here. I meant to type "becoming" instead of "being".

by Anonymousreply 107May 26, 2023 4:47 AM

Everyone knows that the only reason she was given any money for that dung heap was because she was Latina and had a name that some recognize, not for her outstanding work, but for being a publicity whore.

by Anonymousreply 108May 26, 2023 12:10 PM

R106 Mike Nesmith from the Monkee's mom? She invented Liquid Paper, and I guess the money went to his head and he became an asshole, who broke up the Monkees.

by Anonymousreply 109May 26, 2023 1:31 PM

Yeah, she should've sat back, done nothing and lived off HIS earnings instead!

by Anonymousreply 110May 26, 2023 4:17 PM

Ida Lupino's career puts all this horseshit in perspective

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 26, 2023 5:09 PM

Something people may be forgetting is height privilege. Longoria is really small. It's something worth remembering. On sets, they had to resize badges and guns so they wouldn't look ridiculously big next to her. Besides, people tend to focus more on her being a beautiful housewife, which is why they don't take her seriously.

by Anonymousreply 112May 26, 2023 9:30 PM

Pretty privilege would work negatively against her.

by Anonymousreply 113May 26, 2023 9:30 PM

I don’t know much about her except she’s got the right politics. But, yeah, women are still fucked in certain industries.

by Anonymousreply 114May 26, 2023 9:35 PM

Who would trust her with that large a budget? It would be about the Latina experience and I’m not interested in that. Her CNN series was a vanity project. That’s what she’s interested in doing. Vanity.

by Anonymousreply 115May 26, 2023 11:04 PM

I don't like her.

by Anonymousreply 116May 26, 2023 11:06 PM

[quote] But, yeah, women are still fucked in certain industries.

Please describe the ones where they're not. It seems to me that either you're up against toxic masculinity at least part of the time, or you're in a 'caring' profession where you're paid virtually nothing (and possibly surrounded by toxic women, of whom there are not a few out there).

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2023 4:39 AM

R116 I don't either. I also don't think she's well-liked in the industry as her PR people make her out to be. She's not going to be a complete A lister. There's no fucking way any studio would give a 200 million dollar project to direct. She's not the type of person who would be ideal to direct expensive comic book or Disney movies. Eva doesn't seem all that bright and she would likely fuck up something like a war movie or period piece type movie.

by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2023 5:03 AM

Are they going to let Chloe direct another movie? Eternals wasn't that great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2023 7:06 PM

Dune wasn't that great either.

by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2023 7:06 PM

I've never liked any of her work, her politics are fine although she too often gets a 'seat at the table' when she doesn't deserve one. I always look at her 'activism' in politics as just another "look at ME!" trip on her part.

I don't know why she's doing a food journey through Mexico. Didn't she have an awful Mexican restaurant that was savagely reviewed and gave everyone food poisoning? Plus there was some issue with the workers, I don't remember. I'm sure it's out there on the interwebs somewhere. I may be conflating Longoria's bad Mexican restaurant issues with JLo's bad Mexican restaurant issues. Sorry about that.

Years ago Longoria was one of the photos in a "See what photoshop really does" site. It was a sliding one, slide from the photoshop to the real photo and compare/contrast. Longoria's was the only one where they added a bunch of weight. Her legs, her arms, her breasts, other parts of her body all had to be "plumped up" because on her own she looked like a plucked chicken. Terrible chicken legs on that woman.

Anyway, we're just not that into her. She can whine about it in advance of her big movie flop but it will still be true. Not that into her.

by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2023 7:37 PM

Why can’t I fail like Hollywood Jews???

by Anonymousreply 122May 27, 2023 8:04 PM

[quote]I may be conflating Longoria's bad Mexican restaurant issues with JLo's bad Mexican restaurant issues.

JLo is not even Mexican. Did that ho really open a bad Mexican restaurant??!

by Anonymousreply 123May 27, 2023 8:05 PM

Eva Longoria opened two restaurants that failed.

The first was "Beso", a Latin-themed joint on Hollywood Blvd. that filed for bankruptcy after about 3 years.

The second was "SHe", which was touted as a "female-friendly" steakhouse in Las Vegas. I don't think it even lasted a year. It racked up numerous health code violations, plus the concept of a feminist steakhouse was incredibly stupid and doomed to fail from day one.

J Lo also owned a Latin restaurant, "Madre's", in Pasadena (California, not Texas). Even though the reviews were scathing, it managed to last 6 years. She met her fine-ass first husband, Ojani Noa, there. He was a waiter (what could go wrong?). After she dumped him, she offered him a job as manager there as a consolation prize, then fired him 6 months later.

by Anonymousreply 124May 27, 2023 9:15 PM

Thank YOU, r124! Your recollections/information are so much fresher than mine.

R123, that ho did - indeed - open up a Mexican restaurant. I know she's not Mexican, is she Puerto Rican?

I'd completely forgotten about that abomination Longoria tried to push in Vegas. Blech.

Whatever. I'm glad they're all closed down, not that I'd ever eat at any of them. I like Mexican food too much to waste my time or money on celebrity swill.

by Anonymousreply 125May 27, 2023 10:22 PM

JLo is Puerto Rican. When she was cast in Selena, there were Mexican Americans in Texas who were pissed about it.

by Anonymousreply 126May 27, 2023 11:48 PM

R125 J Lo's restaurant, Madre's, was primarily a Cuban restaurant, even though she herself is of Puerto Rican descent. It's one of the many things it was criticized for.

Not sure why she decided to go with Cuban rather than PR, other than the fact that, for some reason, there has always been a dearth of Puerto Rican restaurants in the LA area. Just about every nationality in Latin America is represented in and around LA, except Puerto Rican. Every now and then, somebody will open one, and it always closes down fairly quickly. Cuban restaurants, on the other hand, seem to do quite well in LA. At least that was the case back then, I no longer live in the area, so things might have changed since.

I suppose her investors figured it was less risky to go Cuban. Officially, it billed itself as "Latin", but the menu had a decidedly Cuban slant. It definitely wasn't a Mexican restaurant, though.

Also, I was wrong about her meeting Ojani Noa there. She actually met him when he was a waiter at another celebrity Latina-owned restaurant, Gloria Estefan's Bongo's Cuban Cafe, in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 127May 28, 2023 5:36 PM

That CNN series was a vanity project. She’s perfectly made up and coiffed and over-dressed! The show was a showcase, for her. Every episode was banal and superficial. Almost every guest had something to promote.

by Anonymousreply 128May 29, 2023 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!