Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andrew McCarthy working on a "Brat Pack documentary"

Demi Moore and Andrew McCarthy enjoyed a mini Brat Pack reunion at the weekend.

McCarthy, 60, shared a photo of him and Moore together on Instagram while praising his former costar and revealing he's working on a "Brat Pack documentary" about the group of '80s teen actors, which also included Rob Lowe, Molly Ringwald and Emilio Estevez.

"So great to see (for the first time in years and years) my St. Elmo's Fire co-star, the wondrous Demi Moore, and catch up for my Brat Pack documentary," McCarthy, 60, wrote alongside the photo of him and Moore which he juxtaposed with a photo from their 1985 film.

St. Elmo's Fire was McCarthy's big-screen debut, while it was one of Moore's first movies after she started out on General Hospital.

They both went on to star in several more of the era's iconic teen-focused movies, with McCarthy starring in Pretty in Pink (1986), Mannequin (1987) and Weekend at Bernie's (1989), while Moore led a series of '90s hits including Ghost (1990) and Indecent Proposal (1993).

While Moore continued on with her acting career, McCarthy moved behind the camera to direct episodes of shows like Gossip Girl, Orange is the New Black and The Blacklist.

He also pursued a career in journalism and has worked as both a writer and editor at National Geographic Traveler.

Earlier this month, McCarthy also released his fourth book, Walking with Sam, which chronicles the 500-mile trek he took through the Camino de Santiago with his son, Sam, two years ago.

Speaking to PEOPLE on May 3, he reflected on the journey with his son, whom he shares with ex-wife Carol Schneider, and called it "the best thing I've ever done twice."

"I'll remember it my whole life. I hope that he will, too. It's a thing that's hard to forget," McCarthy told PEOPLE. "I have to give a lot of credit to Sam for being willing to do that with his father."

He also opened up about his own acting days as he shared that Sam is keen to pursue acting in his own right after starring on Netflix's Dead to Me.

Though he said he never wanted Sam or his other children, Willow, 16, and Rowan, 9, whom he shares with his wife Dolores Rice, to take up "the family business," he said he understood the pull too.

"The Camino brings you home to yourself. And so if that's what [Sam] said to himself, then so be it. Acting saved my life when I was 15, so who am I to say what?" asks Andrew. "I was flailing around. And teenagers have to find something or else they get lost. It gave me a foothold in my life."

McCarthy has been open about his struggles with drugs and alcohol after his rise to fame in the Brat Pack — he entered rehab in 1992 and has been sober ever since.

Aside from pursuing a directing career and spending time as a journalist, the Pretty in Pink actor has also drawn on his own experiences to highlight the elusive world of the Brat Pack.

In 2020, he released his first memoir, Brat: An '80s Story, which explored the inner workings of his life in the days leading up to his iconic '80s roles, and the comedown that followed.

"I've carried the brat pack around with me all these years, I thought it was time I took a good look under that rock," he told PEOPLE in a statement at the time. "What I found surprised me."

In recent months, McCarthy has shared similar posts with other members of the Brat Pack, including two of his other St Elmo's Fire costars Lowe and Estevez — who he revealed he hadn't seen for "more than 30 years."

Despite this, he said his reunion with Estevez "felt like meeting a long-lost brother."

Lowe on the other hand was the first actor McCarthy met in Hollywood. It "felt like yesterday" to see him again, he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 29, 2024 9:40 PM

Wow, they both still look great.

Rob Lowe, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2023 2:08 AM

That’s the hottest I’ve seen McCarthy look since he was young. Total DILF.

Didn’t someone on here post about hooking up with him? West Village?

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2023 2:10 AM

He looks fantastic…better than his younger, goofier look.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2023 2:13 AM

Andrew McCarthy was in Class with Rob Lowe, two years prior to St. Elmo’s Fire.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2023 2:13 AM

Looks like Demi's cheeks have finally settled.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2023 2:26 AM

Andrew's son Sam is very cute.

He looks just like his dad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2023 2:34 AM

I want to read Andrew's book, "Walking With Sam."

He literally walked 500 miles (like the song!) across Spain, with his son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2023 2:35 AM

I’ll watch it.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2023 2:39 AM

He always looks like he has a mouthful of cum.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2023 2:44 AM

Gee, I never thought he was overly attractive and I don't think he looks good there, either. He certainly looks like a McCarthy, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2023 3:02 AM

That has to be a filter because Demi looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2023 11:12 AM

I think McCarthy has aged really well and was sort of the dark horse of the group through the years. He would definitely turn my head even if he weren’t well known.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2023 12:12 PM

Has he never used moisturizer?

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2023 12:28 PM

I always found him the hottest and he’s still looking good. I’d watch this

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2023 2:24 PM

Oh I'd love to see this. and Andrew is such a kind, down to earth dude.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2023 2:48 PM

He looks better now. The weathered effect is kind of sexy on him.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2023 2:56 PM

Nice weiner.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2023 2:56 PM

I didn't realize his son Sam is also an actor.

He starred in Dead Again for about four years.

Is it worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2023 3:01 PM

R7 Emilio made a movie about waking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela with Martin Sheen about a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2023 4:11 PM

I was confusing him with Andrew Shue, who was just cuckolded by TJ Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2023 4:25 PM

As mentioned above, Andrew made his film debut in 1983 in "Class" which also starred Rob Lowe (in his second big screen role ever) and Jacqueline Bisset.

He also starred in 1985's "Heaven Help Us" also known as "Catholic Boys," also starring Kevin Dillon (Matt's brother, who went on to star in TV's Entourage).

The writer was very mistaken saying Andrew made his debut in "St Elmo's Fire."

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2023 4:51 PM

R21 Ok cool thanks for clarifying

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2023 4:54 PM

My DC boyfriend, back in the 80s, looked exactly like him. I always thought he was hawt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2023 8:32 PM

A reunion may be awkward with Molly Ringwald, as she has disavowed all her 1980's films.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2023 8:40 PM

R24 For real??? I wasn't aware. Why?? Thought she was OK with it all in previous brat pack reunion interviews of past?

R21 "CLASS"!!!! oh my god I used to LOVE that movie. Its hardly ever acknowledged. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2023 9:00 PM

I think he was good-looking in a super-bland way. Even his facial expressions are bland and non-committal.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2023 9:16 PM

R26 probably why he aged so well.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2023 10:39 PM

Did Andrew and his son skinnydip while on their Spanish hike?

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2023 10:46 PM

[quote] he aged so well.

R27 Oooookay

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2023 10:50 PM

I saw him in something a few years ago and thought he looked sickly. He looks better now. I was surprised he has a son (and yes, he's a handsome guy). I always liked Andrew's flirty smile. It was his "thing" and worked well for him.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2023 10:59 PM

What kind of skank would cheat on Andrew Shue?

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2023 11:12 PM

Fuck off, Andrew/R31!

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2023 11:17 PM

R24 It's a bit strong to say she disavowed them, but she's talked about how she reevaluated her feelings about different aspects of her movies with John Hughes.

I think she'd gladly talk to Andrew McCarthy to talk about her take, and her complicated feelings about those films.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2023 11:20 PM
by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2023 8:27 AM

Did the Brat Packers generally get along /were any of them close friends in real life? Or were they very overtly competitive and a lot of rivalries and not really “friends”? I genuinely don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2023 9:29 AM

At 59, I'm from that Brat Pack movie era, enjoyed the 80s films then, still watch them on occasion. Andrew McCarthy looks like a normal 60 yo man. I look forward to his documentary with much anticipation. :-)

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2023 10:19 AM

Glad he had something to fall back on since his acting at times was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2023 4:36 AM

He had the balls to stand up to Shep. They were both hot!

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2023 6:52 AM

They were my teen and early 20's, I am definitely watching this. I used to love Rob Lowe back then.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2024 7:12 PM

Judd Nelson refused to take part in the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2024 5:39 AM

I loved Andrew in 'Less Than Zero', and have watched it thousands of times, mostly when I'm depressed cause it's literally the story of my life.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2024 6:13 AM

[quote] Did the Brat Packers generally get along /were any of them close friends in real life? Or were they very overtly competitive and a lot of rivalries and not really “friends”? I genuinely don’t know.

The term was created by a magazine writer, David Blum, in 1985 when he saw Demi Moore, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, and Judd Nelson partying at the Hard Rock Café and decided to write a funny-mean article about them for New York Magazine. Several of them actually did spend quite a lot of time together before the article came out--Moore and Estevez were engaged to be married for a time, and Estevez was always considered the social center of the group.

Usually the term encompasses all of the twentysomething stars of "The Breakfast Club" and "St Elmo's Fire," but Andrew McCarthy complained repeatedly he socially had nothing to do with the others, and Mare Winningham (who was in" St. Elmo's Fire") not only never partied with the others but was much more professional and much less of a partier in general than any of the others, and so was pretty much agreed not to be a part of the group. Ally Sheedy later said the article mocking them basically destroyed any interest they had in hanging out together with each other anymore.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2024 6:35 AM

I used to think Rob Lowe was so beautiful when I was a teenager, but seeing old clips of him in the trailer, he was kind of strange looking.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2024 2:56 PM

They are keeping cosmetic surgeons in business I see...

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2024 4:29 PM

Andrew doesn't look like he's had any work done.

Demi obviously has.

Emilio in the short clip doesn't seem to have.

Rob seems to have had a few nips and tucks, but not excessively.

Molly doesn't seem to have had a lot of work done.

Ally could go either way. She looks a bit odd, but not so drastic as Demi.

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2024 4:41 PM

There were plenty of outliers who were never true brat packers - Kiefer Sutherland, Nick Cage, Ione Skye, Anthony Michael Hall, Matthew Broderick, Robert Downey Jr., Jennifer Connelly, etc.

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2024 4:46 PM

Emilio is looking more like his father now

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote]There were plenty of outliers who were never true brat packers - Kiefer Sutherland, Nick Cage, Ione Skye, Anthony Michael Hall, Matthew Broderick, Robert Downey Jr., Jennifer Connelly, etc.

I'd argue that the Brat Pack would be the folks in the Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire - Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore.

Some combination of them appears together in most of the coming of age movies from that era - Sixteen Candles, The Outsiders, Pretty in Pink, Class, About Last Night, and the like.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2024 5:10 PM

I never put Anthony Michael Hall into it, maybe because he was a bit younger.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2024 5:18 PM

R49, but so was Ringwald, though she was the "face" of the Hughes movies

by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2024 3:29 PM

Demi is VERY photoshopped in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2024 3:33 PM

Judging from pictures from Cannes, Demi more is one of the few celebrities who has had enough work done to appear younger…while managing to still look recognizable. I know she’s been nipped and tucked a thousand times over, but she somehow still looks as good as she did in the 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2024 3:56 PM

Why is Timothy Hutton in this? He certainly wasn’t a brat packer.

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2024 4:01 PM

Buck wouldn't have been in the Brat Pack

by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote]but she somehow still looks as good as she did in the 90’s.

The last time she looked good was Charlie's Angels in 2003. In a bikini, she looked better than Cameron Diaz.

by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2024 5:32 PM

I saw a picture of Demi at Cannes and her boob looked hard. I remember how cute she was in 'About Last Night' before she started messing with her looks.

by Anonymousreply 56May 25, 2024 5:39 PM

McCarthy never turned my head even when we were both young. Pasty-faced twerp.

by Anonymousreply 57May 25, 2024 8:25 PM

Did he ever begin or finish the doc?

by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2024 8:27 PM

Wow, Demi Moore looks great. I didn't think it was possible to come back from that disastrous plastic surgery she had a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2024 8:33 PM

She looks like someone else, though.

by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2024 8:35 PM

It's airing on Hulu on June 13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 25, 2024 8:43 PM

Interesting how Andrew has that chicken neck and looks 10 years older than Emilio. Also interesting how none of them went bald or even have thinning hair.

by Anonymousreply 62May 25, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote] interesting how none of them went bald

Hello??

by Anonymousreply 63May 25, 2024 9:50 PM

R63 Haha. He says he was NOT a brat-packer. But I forgot about him.

Ally Sheedy doesn't look bad. She looks more like herself than Demi or Molly.

by Anonymousreply 64May 25, 2024 9:58 PM

I was sometimes told I resembled Judd Nelson back in the day. Usually followed by "You have the same big nostrils".

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2024 9:59 PM

Judd Nelson was like an alternate version of RDJ. The one who wasn't pretty and who no one liked.

I actually thought he was a talented actor.

by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2024 11:16 PM

You have flare, R65!

by Anonymousreply 67May 25, 2024 11:24 PM

Stupid fake mouth clencher

by Anonymousreply 68May 25, 2024 11:26 PM

I never thought Andrew McCarthy was good-looking but somehow I was always on his side. He had a weedy, delicate, unloved look that brings out the awww-little-puppy-left-out-in-the-rain in me.

by Anonymousreply 69May 25, 2024 11:33 PM

He brings out the "wretched wrinkly scrotum who needs to be throat punched" in me.

by Anonymousreply 70May 25, 2024 11:39 PM

Rob Lowe has to be lit right to still look good. He's past the point where he still looks great at his age.

by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2024 12:06 AM

R66 Many girls back then thought he was hot in The Breakfast Club.

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2024 12:08 AM

Note the comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2024 12:09 AM

[quote]Rob Lowe has to be lit right to still look good. He's past the point where he still looks great at his age.

I don't like the guy, but his features and bone structure make his looks pretty much indestructible. His vanity ensures he looks after his skin and body.

by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2024 12:17 AM

R74 I guess I don't agree - and I do like him.

by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2024 12:24 AM

I always was attracted to Emilio. He doesn't seem to be a big gay fave but I always thought he was hot.

One thing I noticed is that McCarthy and Estevez stand eye to eye. Emilio is pretty short.

by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2024 12:26 AM

Where's Mare Winningham?

I was surprised to see Timothy Hutton. Never thought of him as one of that crowd.

by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2024 12:29 AM

Shouldn't the cast of The Outsiders be included as proto-Brat Pack?

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2024 12:39 AM

R78 Since it's a film by Andrew McCarthy and he was not in The Outsiders, I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2024 12:41 AM

So it's essentially St-Elmo-centric.

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2024 2:13 AM

The original article lumped in Timothy Hutton and Sean Penn, I guess because THE FALCON AND THE SNOWMAN was released in 1985.

Molly Ringwald wasn't mentioned in the article but she was a hot property and THE BREAKFAST CLUB, SIXTEEN CANDLES and PRETTY IN PINK were consecutive hits for her she got lumped in.

NY Mag has re-upped the original article in connection with the documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2024 2:19 AM

Molly doesn’t seem like she had work done???

She has an entirely different face!

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2024 2:25 AM

That looks good. He was a bit of a whiney little bitch in autobiography but he clearly hates himself so it was okay

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2024 2:30 AM

I watched him filming "Fresh Horses" way back when in Cincinnati. He looked me straight in the eye at one point which means, from what I've read, that a couple of his brain cells are devoted to me forever.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2024 3:32 AM

r81 THANK YOU FOR YOUR ALL CAPS

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2024 5:00 AM

They included Timothy Hutton and Tom Cruise in the article because they were both in Taps

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2024 6:01 AM

A few of them wanted to be in Bright Lights Big City, how did Michael J Fox get cast? That movie ended up bombing anyway.

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2024 6:11 AM

Oooh in that article one of them says he doesn't think Andrew McCarthy is going to make it in the business.

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2024 6:21 AM

It probably was Judd Nelson, he sounds like an ass. Ironically his career died first

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2024 6:21 AM

His son and Demi’s spawn should team up for a Nepo Baby Club spoof movie.

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2024 6:27 AM

Did Judd Nelson ever play a sympathetic character?

by Anonymousreply 91May 26, 2024 6:33 AM

I found him to be the least attractive brat pack member. Something about his eyes looked empty and almost creepy. Even though I'm a completely gay man, I was more attracted to Ally Sheedy.

by Anonymousreply 92May 26, 2024 7:43 AM

[Quote]I watched him filming "Fresh Horses" way back when in Cincinnati. He looked me straight in the eye at one point which means, from what I've read, that a couple of his brain cells are devoted to me forever.

I wonder if he'll talk about you in the doco!

by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2024 8:22 AM

Ally Sheedy was pretty good as an androgynous-looking lesbian photographer in "High Art."

by Anonymousreply 94May 26, 2024 11:27 AM

What I remember about Ally was her weird delivery when she acted. I saw her in High Art back in the day, she got great reviews, but I can’t remember what I thought of her performance.

by Anonymousreply 95May 26, 2024 3:54 PM

R87 It was originally supposed to have been Tom Cruise, iirc.

by Anonymousreply 96May 26, 2024 4:27 PM

R88 And wasn't wrong.

by Anonymousreply 97May 26, 2024 4:28 PM

Having read his autobiography I have to say I was astounded at how unfocused he was and how he was on drugs all the time (even when filming), how he left Hollywood to do foreign movies with somebody or other (Bertollucci?). He didn't seem to love making films or the actors he acted with. And he still was in demand and got hired for everything. I don't understand the luck.

by Anonymousreply 98May 26, 2024 4:31 PM

R80 The Outsiders was a couple years before the article.

by Anonymousreply 99May 26, 2024 4:39 PM

[quote]Judd Nelson refused to take part in the documentary.

Why? I wonder if he is jealous of Andrew's success.

by Anonymousreply 100May 26, 2024 4:48 PM

I thought Judd was great in Billionaire Boys Club but people didn’t seem to like him in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 101May 26, 2024 4:53 PM

[quote] but people didn’t seem to like him in the industry.

Curious about this - can you elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 102May 26, 2024 4:54 PM

I don’t recall the majority of the details tbh. I just remember there was a period (when he was still acting) where the gossip was that he was difficult in some way. He got hired for a job after a dry spell and then he was fired. Apparently he didn’t see it coming. The gossip was almost gleeful that he had gotten fired so unexpectedly. Kind of like, haha his career is officially toast.

by Anonymousreply 103May 26, 2024 5:07 PM

For r102.

by Anonymousreply 104May 26, 2024 5:07 PM

An article where Judd Nelson explains why he declined participating in the doc. He basically says all the things he could have just said in the doc. Why go into detail in the article if you didn’t want to participate in the first place? It’s really not that serious. He does come across as just kind of, unnecessarily difficult. Also, apparently he almost got fired from The Breakfast Club for being too method.

by Anonymousreply 105May 26, 2024 5:34 PM

Whoops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 26, 2024 5:35 PM

[quote]Also, apparently he almost got fired from The Breakfast Club for being too method.

Imagine "going method" and then somehow overlooking that you're playing 17 but look 32.

by Anonymousreply 107May 26, 2024 5:39 PM

Maybe Judd Nelson is just not that happy about his new living situation under the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 108May 26, 2024 5:46 PM

He sounds insufferable. I can imagine any conversation with him must be excruciating and exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 109May 26, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote] I found him to be the least attractive brat pack member. Something about his eyes looked empty and almost creepy.

McCarthy always had a non-committal demeanor. Bland, also. I hate non-committal people.

by Anonymousreply 110May 26, 2024 5:51 PM

I had a crush on Andrew McCarthy when I was younger. he looked best in his late thirties-early 40's.

by Anonymousreply 111May 26, 2024 6:04 PM

Nelson studied with Stella Adler. So I guess he'd learned some acting techniques to use in his performance.

by Anonymousreply 112May 26, 2024 6:09 PM

“After that article, not only are we strongly encouraged not to work with each other again — and for the most part we haven’t — but it was insinuated we might not want to be hanging out with these people,” Nelson claimed during his Easton Ellis podcast interview. “And it was like, I didn’t know that good friends are so easy to come by in this world that they should be tossed asunder."

by Anonymousreply 113May 26, 2024 6:10 PM

"Asunder"?

It's "aside" you brittle, beaky twat.

by Anonymousreply 114May 26, 2024 11:48 PM

At this point all the brat pack does it talk about the past. Even Molly Ringwald - while pushing the Capote series - talked endlessly about the prom dress from PrettyIn pink

by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2024 12:05 AM

Who can blame them? There's a whole lot of Gen X'ers alive and yearning for youth. Those movies and the actors that starred in them are popular subjects STILL. You're not exactly going to IGNORE that these people were superstars during that time, and that movies (and music) were THE WAY we got our entertainment back then.

by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2024 12:08 AM

Judd Nelson sounds like someone who thinks everyone should like or at least agree with him.

Except he's so arrogant and dislikeable. Or at least, he comes off that way if he's not trying to.

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2024 12:19 AM

Judd Nelson seriously looks like the Unabomber now.

by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2024 12:34 AM

R114 I think he had a point. I never had any particular dislike of Judd Nelson. What are people hating about what he said. Is it because he didn't participate in the movie? So what?

by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2024 2:59 AM

I apologize for my unnecessary capitalization at r116.

I was way too emphatic about my points.

by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2024 3:00 AM

McCarthy used to mention being a huge fan of Montgomery Clift in interviews - I remember reading one in the Village Voice years ago. I noticed there was always some point in a performance when he would get "crazy eyes" exactly like Clift. I used to wait for it. With Clift it was original, maybe not even conscious, but with McCarthy it was just copying someone better.

by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2024 3:03 AM

r121 I do remember his doing some weird eye rolling shit.

by Anonymousreply 122May 27, 2024 3:06 AM

Andrew McCarthy was my favorite. I had a huge crush on him. Saw some pics of Demi at Cannes and gurlfriend looks amazing!

by Anonymousreply 123May 27, 2024 3:07 AM

I met Rob Lowe at an airport back in the late 80's. In person, he looked just as gorgeous as his pictures. Flawless.

by Anonymousreply 124May 27, 2024 3:07 AM

With so many people here loving Andrew McCarthy, I wonder why his career went down the shitter as soon and as fast as it did?

by Anonymousreply 125May 27, 2024 3:08 AM

I saw Rob Lowe in a play at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. It was Chekhov. I think it was the only appearance he ever made there.

by Anonymousreply 126May 27, 2024 3:10 AM

They made Hollywood tabloids mainstream. Then Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, John Depp and Winona Ryder took them to the next level. Then it became what it is now. Reality stars who enjoy being chased around. Most of the those older actors hated it and were upset by it. Tabloids were always a part of Hollywood but in the 80's they became more mainstream and no longer niche.

by Anonymousreply 127May 27, 2024 3:13 AM

Demi really does look fabulous. And seems like she'd be fun to be around. Ashton left her for younger Mila, who now looks older than Demi with her wizened old prune face.

by Anonymousreply 128May 27, 2024 3:15 AM

R127, MY MOTHER AND MY AUNT USED TO BUY cONFIDENTIAL MAGAZINE WHEN i WAS A LITTLE KID AND THEY LITERALLY HID THEM UNDER THE MATTRESS. SORRY FOR THE CAPS.

by Anonymousreply 129May 27, 2024 3:18 AM

R122 It was more like bugging his eyes out. But we probably mean the same thing. Glad you remembered it too!

by Anonymousreply 130May 27, 2024 3:19 AM

Judd Nelson was excellent in Breakfast Club. I thought he was the best part of that movie.

by Anonymousreply 131May 27, 2024 3:22 AM

Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen both look like their father but look nothing alike. Random thought, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 132May 27, 2024 3:26 AM

He’s had the most impressive career

by Anonymousreply 133May 27, 2024 3:30 AM

I don't know. Demi Moore could potentially be considered the most successful of the bunch. She actually moved on to adult roles and made some hit movies. And for a period was there considered with Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts and later Sandra Bullock. Interesting bit both Moore and Roberts turned down While You Were Sleeping thus bringing in Bullock as a rival to them.

by Anonymousreply 134May 27, 2024 3:36 AM

R133 Who's had the most impressive career?

by Anonymousreply 135May 27, 2024 3:45 AM

I agree that Demi Moore had the best career. She was in Ghost and A Few Good Men and some other big movies.

Rob Lowe has the most name recognition out of the men although generations younger than Gen X might not know who most of them are.

I don't consider Tom Cruise as part of the Brat Pack even though he is mentioned in the article, obviously he had the biggest career of all.

by Anonymousreply 136May 27, 2024 10:55 AM

Demi could have had an even more successful career if she hadnot gotten f ucked up with drugs.

by Anonymousreply 137May 27, 2024 1:16 PM

Cruise was definitely considered one of the Brat Pack by the public at that time. Apparently he was the one that most successfully shed the label.

I don't know if everyone here remembers when in '80s Hollywood became obsessed with youth. There were large amounts of movies about high school (or earlier) and college. Summer vacations. Coming of age. I don't think there's been anything quite like it before or since. Michael J. Fox and Matthew Broderick were among the many other young stars. Matt Dillon, Vincent Spano, Michael Schoeffling, Matthew Modine, Jennifer Grey, Nicholas Cage, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, Johnny Depp, Christian Slater, Ralph Macchio, John Cusack, Patrick Swayze (older but playing younger).

by Anonymousreply 138May 27, 2024 1:30 PM

Elisabeth Shue also seemed Brat Pack adjacent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 27, 2024 3:31 PM

An inordinate number of these movies seemed to take place in the suburbs or the city of Chicago. And not just John Hughes movies.

by Anonymousreply 140May 27, 2024 3:32 PM

How about me? Can I be Brat Pack?

by Anonymousreply 141May 27, 2024 9:03 PM

No r141 but I enjoyed you in North and South with Patrick Swayze.

by Anonymousreply 142May 28, 2024 12:55 AM

I liked McCarthy in the Joy Luck Club

by Anonymousreply 143May 29, 2024 4:52 AM

It played Tribeca with post-screening panel with McCarthy, Ally Sheedy, Demi Moore and Jon Cryer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 8, 2024 10:35 PM

Was Tom Cruise part of the Brat Pack?

by Anonymousreply 145June 8, 2024 11:01 PM

I was born in 1969 and I.CAN'T. WAIT!!

by Anonymousreply 146June 8, 2024 11:06 PM

Demi looks fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 147June 8, 2024 11:40 PM

Howie Deutsch, the Pretty in Pink & Some Kind of Wonderful director, & Lea Thompson, both featured in the documentary, have been married 35 years & have two children.

by Anonymousreply 148June 26, 2024 8:12 PM

Anyone watch this? How was it?

by Anonymousreply 149June 29, 2024 9:23 PM

R149, no, none of us watched it, not even one person.

I hear it was better than Citizen Kane, Sunset Boulevard and To Have and Have Not put together.

by Anonymousreply 150June 29, 2024 9:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!