Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I will NEVER EVER TIP for Counter Service

Or non wait service. And only tip Uber eats in cash after the order has been received reviewing expediency and cleanliness.

Any fast food worker or cashier who gives attitude about tipping I will tell them I will never come to this establishment again if they keep that cunt attitude.

Yes my boundaries have been stated. Shit is outta control.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134May 25, 2023 3:18 PM

when did a cashier ever give you attitude about the tip

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2023 5:02 PM

Well for one last summer at this burger joint in San Diego. But it’s happening all over with GENZ culture entering the workforce. Read the article.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2023 5:04 PM

I always tip. These individuals are preparing my food and it is my way of showing them respect for their work. And in turn they show respect in the preparation of my meal .

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2023 5:05 PM

I don't disagree with OP

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2023 5:05 PM

R3 Oh please we never used to tip before for non wait service. These companies oughta be ashamed. And now with all the mini kiosks they ask for a tip in the finalizing of using your card. Fuck outta here. Even the trendy food trucks. Tipping at a food truck? Fuck outta here. And I do take back what I said because I have tipped before for counter service when the person was personable and seemed very hard working. They were always a person of color. As a general rule though I do not tip for non wait service and it’s a shame what’s happening to our culture.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2023 5:10 PM

Cool story, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2023 5:13 PM

You’d better say you’d tip me or I’ll break your ass!

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2023 5:13 PM

They don’t need your 25 cents hon.

I worked in the food service and retail industries for years. I always try to tip when I can. Everyone should be forced to work these jobs for a year or two, it might increase your empathy for others

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2023 5:13 PM

R7 How do you look and time and place? And if ugly how much are you willing to pay?

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2023 5:16 PM

I’m a good tipper; always have been. If the service is good, they deserve it.

Now, slightly off-topic: I’ve been to dozens and dozens of 7-Elevens in different states, and yesterday was the first time I’ve ever seen a tip cup at the register. I stared at it like a one year-old would stare at a shiny object. Tip cup? 7-Eleven? What the fuck?! Unnerving and out of control.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2023 5:17 PM

[quote]a Ben & Jerry's cashier got annoyed when she didn't tip for a $2 cone

Where does Ben & Jerry's sell $2 cones?

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2023 5:22 PM

R9. I look good but I’m not interested in BS. Catch my drift?

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2023 5:25 PM

R11 asked the important question.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2023 5:26 PM

R10, why are put-upon foodservice workers worthy of tips but put-upon convenience store workers not?

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2023 5:29 PM

R8 I have much empathy but it shouldn’t be a cultural standard. And please I am not a tip cheaper nor a cheap person at all. Don’t come for me unless you know me.

We don’t tip the mafuckin cashier at Walmart though that might be coming next.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2023 5:29 PM

I tip at Starbucks if I buy a bag of whole bean coffee and ask them to grind it. Or if I buy a scone (or whatever) and ask them to heat it up.

I would tip if I had a complicated order (hold the _____, extra _____, substitute X for Y).

I don't see the problem with throwing in an extra couple of dollars. It's a small human kindness.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2023 5:30 PM

I always give $1 at Starbucks. I always pay using my Starbucks reward card and leave a tip with it.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2023 5:34 PM

I get around this pervasive bad habit by always paying in cash at an establishment that I I know that does electronic begging when you pay with a credit card.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2023 5:34 PM

[quote] I always tip. These individuals are preparing my food and it is my way of showing them respect for their work. And in turn they show respect in the preparation of my meal.

Some of their "respect" would turn your stomach if you only knew.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2023 5:38 PM

If you worked in a restaurant would you (or have you) ever shit or pissed in customer food?

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2023 5:45 PM

Delivery drivers need to be tipped for sure. My nephew drove for Uber Eats for a bit during the pandemic. We were all shocked by what he earned. A three dollar fee from Uber and then whatever the tip was. That's it. No wage. No gas money.

Most deliveries - from start to finish - took 30 minutes or so. So he would make maybe $12-15 an hour. Before gas and taxes.

He didn't last long doing that! Honestly, I had no idea it was that bad. I'm not even sure how that's legal. It's below minimum wage for sure. This was in Los Angeles, btw.

I tip more for delivery drivers now than I do any other service workers. I don't get people who seem to take joy in being bad tippers.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2023 5:45 PM

Weak comparisons. R14. 7-Eleven cashiers are hardly as you say, “put upon” as compared to “put upon” table-service workers or food preparers. Please.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2023 5:51 PM

We don't care.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2023 5:53 PM

If someone at a counter or drive thru doesn’t speak, they do not get a tip. Capiche?

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2023 5:56 PM

I only tip wait staff who work for tips or a bartender but I will not tip counter staff that already receive a wage from their employer and are doing nothing more than handing over my order.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2023 5:58 PM

People should be paid enough so that they don’t have to depend on tips. I know it’s hard to change a system which pervades the while economy, but tipping not fair on customers who have to work out what’s fair, and is definitely not fair on people being paid a pittance aNd who depend on customers’ generosity to feed their kids.

Service workers should just be treated as professional employees doing valuable work, and be paid accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2023 6:06 PM

Don't tell them until after you get your food, Op. Else you might get shit in your burger.

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2023 6:09 PM

I had a 3 day job at Burger Guy as a 17 yr old. I was showing off in front of other teens working along side me when an uptight looking Karen showed up at the counter. I stood there with my mouth open (my lower jaw dropped) just to get her reaction. She quickly asked “Do you have a problem, dear?!” I was busted.

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2023 6:14 PM

Tipping is completely out of hand in the US.

Yesterday, I was in a bakery for a loaf of Italian bread. The young woman working there asked me if I wanted a large or small loaf. I said large. She walked over to the shelf with the Italian bread, took a large loaf, and put it into the sleeve-bag. She asked if that was all. I said yes. She rang me up. There was a tip jar next to the iPad register. It was $4.99. I gave her a $5 bill, took the bread from her, and left the store.

You do not need to tip employees at stores. They are not offering you a service such as a waiter, waitress, bartender et al.

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2023 6:21 PM

Thank you R29. Thread closed

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2023 6:25 PM

R16 Where does the buck stop. I do tip the bagger at the grocery store. Should I tip the retail clerk at IKEA who helps me pick out furniture?

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2023 6:30 PM

The fact of the matter is I ain’t a tipping a food service worker unless they provide me a strip tease.

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2023 6:45 PM

Then don't EVER leave your fucking house ever again, you fat cheap whore!

Don't EVER go ANYWHERE where someone might have to help you. Make your own food or shop at the grocery store. There, you saved a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 33May 22, 2023 6:49 PM

Glad to live in Europe where the only explanation asked of me is did I mean to leave so much money?

Tipping waiters and hotel staff and valet car parkers and occupations with a long history of tipping is fine, but working hard and being underpaid and underappreciated and feeling too good for the job...fuck that. As if most jobs in the world are not like that, and as if customers were John D. Rockefellers with train cars full of dimes to dispense.

by Anonymousreply 34May 22, 2023 6:50 PM

R29, you’re absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 35May 22, 2023 6:51 PM

I bought two bottles of water at a convenience store last week. Used my phone to pay for it, and was given the option to leave a tip. All the employee had to do was scan two items, and muster a quick hello. Didn't even bag them. Didn't leave a tip.

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2023 6:55 PM

R34 American culture has everyone begging for Pennie’s. In general begging is cool now. Begging via go fund me for your wedding. Don’t have a fkin ceremony if you cannot afford it. Murder somebody. Beg for a defense fee. I loathe American culture sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2023 6:55 PM

R33 Who the hell do you think you are talking to? That post better be parody.

And I may be a whore but I sure ain’t fat.

by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2023 6:56 PM

Stop going out to eat then, you cheap bitch!

by Anonymousreply 39May 22, 2023 7:32 PM

R39 lol. A troll. You fraudulent cunt ilI go out to eat and tip plenty of fine establishments or even Texas Roadhouse. Now cunt on. I’m done with you.

by Anonymousreply 40May 22, 2023 7:33 PM

[quote] American culture has everyone begging for Pennie’s.

Pennie's?

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2023 7:36 PM

R41 Fkin autotype and I kept backspacing but just said fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 42May 22, 2023 7:37 PM

I think R37 was Brendad Ickson.

by Anonymousreply 43May 22, 2023 7:38 PM

I worked in retail management for many years in the UK, and most companies have a policy that forbids staff from receiving cash tips from customers.

It was a bit annoying sometimes as you'd see a member of staff go 'above and beyond' for a customer and the customer try to stuff a fiver or a tenner in their hand to show their gratitude and the staff member would have to politely decline though they deserved the cash. Sometimes I'd turn a blind eye but if it'd been witnessed by other staff they'd have to declare the cash to management. Depending on the situation we'd sometimes stick the cash into a staff slush fund but officially we were supposed to bank it.

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote] Who the hell do you think you are talking to?

Dire, dull suburbanite trash. The type that thinks Panera is fine dining.

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2023 7:45 PM

R45 oh your a lying cunt. When have I ever made such a remark. Take your stankin ass to therapy or call a family member who cares.

by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2023 7:56 PM

Why I Won't Tip For Counter Service by Deidre Hall

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote] I will NEVER EVER TIP for Counter Service

OP has stated her boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2023 8:02 PM

At this rate the self checkout register will start asking for tips.

by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2023 8:04 PM

[quote[At this rate the self checkout register will start asking for tips.

Indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2023 8:05 PM

My aeromechanic now has a tip jar next to his register. I paid him 700 dollars for a repair, and he now wants a tip on top of it.

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2023 8:07 PM

R8 Maybe you should work healthcare. Do you tip the janitor or the orderly or the nurse? It’s always food service workers and entertainers who aggrandize their work.

Do the tips go to the bathroom cleaner at the restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2023 8:08 PM

[quote]7-Eleven cashiers are hardly as you say, “put upon” as compared to “put upon” table-service workers or food preparers. Please.

Kudos to you for the ability to precisely discern which low-wage workers are taken advantage of by the system and which are not.

by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2023 8:08 PM

R48 But I did state my boundaries Blanche. I did.

by Anonymousreply 54May 22, 2023 8:15 PM

R50 In some places it has.

by Anonymousreply 55May 22, 2023 8:15 PM

R52 Exactly. Why the fuck don’t you suckers tip the bank clerk who processes your credit card or transfer money from one account to another.

Why WONT you tip them for their service. It’s long established in America culture and England we only tip for sit down restaurants and taxi drivers or delivery men.

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2023 8:17 PM

If anyone deserves decent tips it would be heath care workers. You can't imagine how much they have to go out of their way at times. I say let's put tip jars all around the hospitals/clinics.

by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2023 8:20 PM

[quote]If anyone deserves decent tips it would be heath care workers....I say let's put tip jars all around the hospitals/clinics.

I say they deserve excellent salaries and respect, and not to have to fish coins and bills out of a fucking tip jar.

by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2023 8:23 PM

Imagine going into surgery and them parking you right next to a tip jar. You'd REALLY feel obligated to dig deep.

by Anonymousreply 59May 22, 2023 8:26 PM

Why tip baristas, but not Dairy Queen workers?

Why tip servers, but not sanitation workers?

Why tip a hairstylist, but not a gardener?

Why tip a masseuse, but not a prostitute?

The world is full of hard jobs that don't pay too well. Why have we decided that SOME jobs require a tip, and others do not?

by Anonymousreply 60May 22, 2023 8:27 PM

R43 It's MS Brenda Dickson and she always tips at Gelson's. Even if she shop lifts.

R47 Deeva Hall has tipped more than you ever have in your life. She might be a fake bitch but she is no cheapskate.

by Anonymousreply 61May 22, 2023 8:31 PM

Harpo, who dis people?

by Anonymousreply 62May 22, 2023 8:35 PM

[Quote]when did a cashier ever give you attitude about the tip?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 22, 2023 8:38 PM

[quote]Maybe you should work healthcare. Do you tip the janitor or the orderly or the nurse?

Years ago, when my brother waiting to be rolled into surgery for a procedure, we tucked dollar bills around him on the gurney. It was a gag, with him telling the surgeon and OR staff he wanted to make sure they did an extra-good job.

They got the joke and laughed. Nowadays, they'd probably bitch that it should have been $10 bills instead of dollar bills.

by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2023 8:38 PM

I’m very generous and I’ll always tip for any service unless they’re ugly, old, fat, female.

by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2023 8:39 PM

R65 That must cost you eight bucks a year in tips!

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2023 8:41 PM

[quote]begging for Pennie’s...

This can be DL's 2023 tagline!

by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2023 8:41 PM

R65 That’s disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 68May 22, 2023 8:41 PM

[quote] oh your a lying cunt

You're an illiterate, gelatinous jigglypuff.

Begone, you cheap whore!

by Anonymousreply 69May 22, 2023 8:42 PM

Someone I know who works at Starbucks told me the employees don't get a cent of the electronic tips. If you actually want to leave a tip for the employees always leave cash in the tip jar.

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2023 9:16 PM

R70 Oh really? Never going to Starbucks again. Disingenuous cunts.

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2023 9:17 PM

It is the same for all those corporations. Subway does the same.

by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2023 9:20 PM

Honestly, I know that Americans think that we Brits are cheap because we don’t tip enough, but wouldn’t it be better to just pay people a decent wage that didn’t leave them utterly dependent on the goodwill of the people they are serving?

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2023 9:26 PM

Nobody thinks Brits are cheap. We understand that tipping is an American thing.

by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2023 9:28 PM

R73 yes but most Americans are psychological sadists brainwashed by the GOP. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2023 9:29 PM

I always leave cash tips. Even at restaurants I'll just right "cash" on the tip line of the receipt and leave it on the table. I don't trust corporations.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2023 9:29 PM

Thank you R53! But, if I may, let me put it to you in a way that even you should be able to understand. Both the 7-11 cashier, and the table service / food preparer workers might be taken advantage by the system, as you indicated, but the TABLE SERVICE/ FOOD PREPARER WORKERS have a lot more job responsibility and put up with a lot more SHIT from customers, than a cashier. Therefore, the table service and food preparer workers deserve to be tipped. The cashier? Ummm, sorry, zero.

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2023 9:39 PM

I’ll give you a tip if you want it so damned bad…

The tip of my shoe inside your ass!

by Anonymousreply 78May 22, 2023 9:48 PM

Basically, you're supposed to tip to save their employer's money so he or she can cheat staff with slave wages.

by Anonymousreply 79May 22, 2023 9:57 PM

R2 so it happened once and you read some junk article and now you’re walking around fantasizing about getting into a conflict with a low level service worker. I hope everybody claps for you when you finally get the chance to stand up for yourself, I’m sure some kid will roll their eyes at you in the next 300 outings.

by Anonymousreply 80May 22, 2023 10:28 PM

I tip. Yes, companies should pay their employees more, but they don't.

by Anonymousreply 81May 22, 2023 11:12 PM

r78 Hi, Dad!

by Anonymousreply 82May 22, 2023 11:13 PM

R80 wtf are you talking about. I listed one example where it happen but there have been others. Where is the fkin fantasy. Stop your self projecting of me.

by Anonymousreply 83May 22, 2023 11:19 PM

OP types very, very fat.

by Anonymousreply 84May 23, 2023 3:19 AM

Where is there a $2 cone?

by Anonymousreply 85May 23, 2023 4:16 AM

What’s going to happen when everyone is old or dead and Gen Z is in charge?

by Anonymousreply 86May 23, 2023 4:19 AM

No, I am not tipping when I order a plain ol' cup of coffee at the counter of my local coffee shop. I pay for almost everything via credit card since it adds to my frequent flyer miles, so we have to go through the computer exchange at the coffee counter when i pay an d request for the tip shows up on the credit card/computer. I simply check off NO. Yes, it's a bit awkward for that moment, but too bad, I'm not tipping.

by Anonymousreply 87May 23, 2023 4:27 AM

Be sure to tip the doctor after your colonoscopy. The nurse only gets 10%. It's the American way, nay, the American Dream. Live on tips.

by Anonymousreply 88May 23, 2023 4:32 AM

R87 I hear ya. It is absolutely nuts.

by Anonymousreply 89May 23, 2023 2:01 PM

I hate the recent rash of articles about tipping. They all say basically: "You MUST tip in all situations no matter what the person is actually doing for you!"

by Anonymousreply 90May 23, 2023 2:45 PM

They should be paid a living wage by the employer.

by Anonymousreply 91May 23, 2023 2:48 PM

If you have to put a jar out to collect tips, you’re not doing anything that warrants a tip.

by Anonymousreply 92May 23, 2023 2:50 PM

I've almost never tipped at counter. The one time recently was at a Subway where the man was basically everything I'd have wanted (basic conversational, very responsive to requests, fast, acted like I was a priority) and yeah it was just Subway but I wanted to chip in. Too bad I learned after that Subway management might be one of the worst for pocketing those 'tips'. No proof, just stuff I read around.

Otherwise the super rare time like that, I strongly refuse. In this area, I think no one should be paid under $20, but the min wage is about $16.

At restaurants I tip 15-18% depending on my feeling. I'd be more likely to tip 10% for mediocre to poor service, than nothing, but I'm willing to tip nothing if they just sucked, and I've done that a couple times.

I try to tip up to 20% at barbers/stylists, especially if I think I'll be returning. They're the one place I'm like 'oh shit, they have to remember and care about me'. If it means a $50 haircut (as opposed to $30ish I could get at a cheaper place and without tipping), so be it?

by Anonymousreply 93May 23, 2023 6:35 PM

Agreed. I tip waiters and waitresses who fill the water glasses, take orders, serve food, etc. I do not tip people working at a counter as a cashier who happen to hand me a bag of food prepared by somebody else.

by Anonymousreply 94May 23, 2023 7:12 PM

I agree with you OP.

Recently I [Bold]picked up[/Bold] food at a nearby mom & pop place. I'm a longtime customer of theirs, and I mean very long time. When I went to pay I zeroed out the tip. The cashier hastily ripped the receipt from the machine to see what I had tipped. He didn't even wait for me to turn and walk away, it was such obvious grift. As if that wasnt enough he then proceeded to get all stink faced after seeing I tipped nothing. This pissed me off, so I was compelled to state to his face "I don't tip for pick up orders, and shouldn't be expected to. By the way, long term customer and as you know I order a lot of food here." Fuck you....it left such a bad taste in my mouth I haven't been back since and doubt I will be. Until this practice starts costing them business they won't learn.

Even more disgusting are places like Subway and other takeout chain places that do this. It's not my responsibility to subsidize your payroll, CORPORATION.

by Anonymousreply 95May 23, 2023 7:25 PM

R95 here again and I also wanted to add that I absolutely and generously tip delivery drivers and when receiving sit down service in restaurants as well as hairdressers, nail techs and the like. This difference should be maintained and is easily distinguished from my prior post.

by Anonymousreply 96May 23, 2023 7:29 PM

OP is a Republican Karen ranting against workers and "Gen Z" when the problem is old business owners who pay shitty wages and Republicans who won't raise the minimum wage.

Fuck off, Republicans

by Anonymousreply 97May 23, 2023 7:43 PM

The Karen at r95 is whining about a cashier just LOOKING at a receipt. LOL. How sensitive you must be. Although at least you realize the problem is the corporations, not the workers

by Anonymousreply 98May 23, 2023 7:45 PM

[quote] They should be paid a living wage by the employer.

Many are. They STILL demand a tip.

It's all become a grift at this point.

by Anonymousreply 99May 23, 2023 7:49 PM

OP, these people of color you speak of. What color are they? What's your favorite color?

by Anonymousreply 100May 23, 2023 7:58 PM

R97, r98, r99.

by Anonymousreply 101May 23, 2023 8:01 PM

I knew there was a reason I blocked you @ r98. Clearly you're a repeat cunt. And I'm not a Karen, you tardfucked morbidly obese cubefrau.

by Anonymousreply 102May 23, 2023 8:03 PM

I hate it when the server at my local Ledo's asks me if I need my change. It annoys me to no end.

by Anonymousreply 103May 23, 2023 8:08 PM

R97 I’m not a Republican nor am I even a woman you presumptive ass bitch.

Why the fuck don’t you tip your garbage man. You could leave a cashier’s check taped in the garbage bin you cheap ass cunt.

by Anonymousreply 104May 23, 2023 8:15 PM

[quote] Fuck outta here. Even the trendy food trucks. Tipping at a food truck? Fuck outta here.

Learn proper English, then get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 105May 23, 2023 8:24 PM

Food trucks prepare food, you dolt.

by Anonymousreply 106May 23, 2023 8:24 PM

R105 I will speak how I speak. And you will accept my black vernacular in all of its glory especially as I am probably more highly educated than you.

by Anonymousreply 107May 23, 2023 8:26 PM

[quote] I had a 3 day job at Burger Guy as a 17 yr old.

Burger Guy? 😂

by Anonymousreply 108May 23, 2023 8:26 PM

I need to start tipping myself after cooking a meal, styling my hair and picking up groceries.

$ for the vacation fund.

by Anonymousreply 109May 23, 2023 8:33 PM

I won't tip at Starbucks often, although I have, mostly because the workers are horrible. I tipped for the exactly one friendly guy actually doing his job, the rest seem like they recently wandered out of Children of the Corn. I have no idea what they make but Starbucks should pay them more since it's clear it's not enough.

by Anonymousreply 110May 23, 2023 8:38 PM

If I'm walking up to a counter and they're putting my order in a bag, like a sandwich or a taco- easy peasy, I don't see why a tip is needed.

For a large to-go order or something with several items like you'd order for a family, that's a lot of packing, especially if there's things like side salads, dressings, salsas, plastic cutlery -- things that take thought and time to check-- yeah I'm going to tip those people. It's a PITA to deal with big to go orders like that, I know from having worked in food service as a waitress. My favorites were customers who thought they had EVERY RIGHT to sit their asses down at a table or booth and then when you come to take their order, they say it's to go. Nope hon, go to the counter. Seats are for dine-in only.

I don't mind tipping most people who deserve it but don't serve me a $7 beer and expect a $2 tip. You poured from the tap for like 30 seconds. Make me a shaken cocktail, then I'll tip you $3.

by Anonymousreply 111May 23, 2023 8:41 PM

It's not that complicated -- these kiosks have given everyone an easy way to ask for a tip that they never would have done aloud before, but you can just ignore it. You tip for a personal service - or a physically demanding one. Waiters, hairdressers & barbers, taxi drivers, movers and furniture delivery guys, food and grocery delivery guys, paper boys (back when that job existed). For bartenders it used to be a buck a drink, but now that seems low. At Christmas the super & staff in your building (and for a service if they go out of their way for you), your mail carrier, dog walker etc. Also, if you hire an escort, tipping them on top of the hourly rate is customary.

You don't tip for any kind of retail store check-out or self check-out. If you are picking up food yourself from a restaurant you don't need to tip but you could, same at Starbucks, coffee shop, ice cream shop, etc -- depends on what you ordered, and if you feel the need, but it's not customary like with waitstaff, and it doesn't need to be anywhere near 20%.

by Anonymousreply 112May 23, 2023 8:49 PM

If the workers at Starbucks are so "horrible" - why do you go there?

Republicans love billionaires but hate workers

by Anonymousreply 113May 23, 2023 9:02 PM

R103 - “ I hate it when the server at my local Ledo's asks me if I need my change. It annoys me to no end.”

That line is a bullet point on the first page of the “How to Grift by Guilting” handbook. It’s cheesy, passive-aggressive, and pure sleeze.

by Anonymousreply 114May 23, 2023 9:02 PM

I cut out manufacturers coupons and give them as tips instead of $.

by Anonymousreply 115May 23, 2023 9:24 PM

^^Also. Stickers make great tips.

by Anonymousreply 116May 23, 2023 9:24 PM

Seems to me like you’re the cunt OP.

by Anonymousreply 117May 23, 2023 9:25 PM

It's in my nature to tip polite, efficient, cute young men.

by Anonymousreply 118May 23, 2023 10:00 PM

R118, and sometimes more than just the tip!

by Anonymousreply 119May 23, 2023 10:23 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ba - Dum - Bump

by Anonymousreply 120May 23, 2023 10:43 PM

Anyone who goes to Starbucks knowing that they’re buying cancer in a cup gets what they deserve from the shitty baristas.

by Anonymousreply 121May 23, 2023 11:02 PM

R121

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 23, 2023 11:08 PM

If only tipping got you the kind of treatment R3 professes to get.

As a general rule, I don’t tip counter people. And I don’t think corporations or businesses should set the expectation that customers will tip. Let execs and shareholders do with less bonuses and profits and in turn provide staff a living wage.

by Anonymousreply 123May 23, 2023 11:10 PM

Kiss my grits, Karen!

by Anonymousreply 124May 23, 2023 11:26 PM

I tip based on the physical appearance of the person behind the counter. If they've got EarPods in their ears, are covered in tattoos, sporting unnatural hair colors, or pierced in weird places, no tip. None. I don't need to perpetuate that low rent district. Now, if they're pleasant, look pleasant, and make an effort to not look edgy, I tip them.

by Anonymousreply 125May 23, 2023 11:42 PM

And to everyone that will clutch their pearls to R125 - you know you do the same thing as well, you're just too woke to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 126May 23, 2023 11:42 PM

[quote]If anyone deserves decent tips it would be heath care workers.

They receive tips via their salaries, benefits packages and first access to treatment without having to go through a fraction of the testing that others do.

They get enough already.

by Anonymousreply 127May 24, 2023 12:59 AM

I've never understood tipping mail carriers who are federal workers, Fedex/UPS workers and city/county workers such as trash collectors. These people all have very well-paying jobs with excellent full benefits packages and retirement plans. I find this ridiculous. If someone feels like being benevolent, why not tip the part-time Walmart worker or fast-food worker with no benefits and taking the bus to work because they can't afford a car?

I had an old fart neighbor who would go out at Christmas with his chest all puffed out and strutting like a peacock and give the trash collector $100 yet would only leave $2 on a $30 bill at Cracker Barrel because "that's plenty for those people". In his mind they should get a better job if they aren't happy. Who will serve you your cheap food if everyone goes out and gets a better job, numbskull? Classic example of the more for those who have plenty and less for those who are working hard and scraping by mindset.

by Anonymousreply 128May 24, 2023 1:58 PM

R128 In the olden days, tipping of letter carriers was often because they walked their routes and residents got to know them, and while some may have called it a tip, it was actually more of a little, annual holiday gift at Christmas/New Years. My parents would give something to our milkman as well. (Yes, we had a milkman!)

by Anonymousreply 129May 24, 2023 7:05 PM

I’ll give you one section of toilet tissue

by Anonymousreply 130May 24, 2023 8:28 PM

R128 I was joking above. You mean to tell people be tipping delivery men and garbage men? Y’all must live in flyover where they ain’t Union.

by Anonymousreply 131May 24, 2023 8:31 PM

And OP We will NEVER ever get back together!

by Anonymousreply 132May 25, 2023 3:40 AM

No one cares what you do in your own country. But when you are in the US you need to follow our customs, just like we are shamed into following yours when we travel to your country. No ice. Shitty AC. No shorts on men in Rome. Blah blah blah. So Mr and Mr Euro 2023, account for that tip when making your travel plans. Bad things happen to people who don't tip.

by Anonymousreply 133May 25, 2023 4:23 AM

R132, Until you do right by me everything in your life will crumble.

by Anonymousreply 134May 25, 2023 3:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!