Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Springsteen interpreters: Manfred Mann's Earth Band

I have been listening to '70s Manfred Mann's Earth Band albums and they covered a number of Springsteen songs, mostly from his Greetings From Asbury park album. I have never been a big Springsteen fan. I don't love his voice and I especially don't love his arrangements most of the time. I hated the whole album of Born in the USA (but loved Tunnel of Love & Hungry Heart).

Much like Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen, Are Springsteen's songs better when interpreted by other artists? Look at Fire by the Pointer Sisters or Pink Cadillac by Bette Midler (but NOT by Natalie Cole).

However, I think the best interpreters were Manfred Mann's Earth Band, who covered three songs from Greetings From Asbury Park- Spirit in the Night, For You and the #1 hit Blinded By the Light. These guys really had something in both their lead singer, Chris Thompson, and their amazing arrangements of what were dull Springsteen dirges and turned them into great pieces of 70s rock. Here are the examples. What say you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2023 10:59 PM

Spirit in the Night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2023 4:51 PM

For You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2023 4:52 PM

"Blinded By The Light"

never liked that song - horrid title.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2023 4:53 PM

Manfred Mann certain did better jobs with those early Springsteen songs. No doubt about it.

Springsteen just had a lot to learn about arranging songs and got much better with subsequent albums. Greetings from Asbury Park was especially raw and needed better arrangements which Mannfred Mann was able to deliver.

I'd have loved to hear Manfred cover of some of Springsteen's later hits from the 70s and early 80s, just to see what they did with it. But those three songs were all improved by Manfred, especially Blinded by the Light.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2023 5:00 PM

“Revved up like a deuce?” Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2023 5:03 PM

Yeah, I wish they would have done a full album of Springsteen songs, especially after they had a minor '80s comeback in 1984 with their single "Runner" (not a Springsteen song, but it was the same year he had released Born in the USA. I think at that point Chris Thompson was long gone to a solo career (a not very successful one), but maybe they could have brought him back.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote] I hated the whole album of Born in the USA (but loved Tunnel of Love & Hungry Heart).

Hungry Heart? IMO, that song is basic (in a bad way) and cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2023 5:20 PM

I also loved the song he wrote that Gary U.S. Bonds covered, This Little Girl. Where the Manfred Mann and Pointer Sisters songs didn't immediately scream Springsteen, this one is almost like a Bruce demo with Gary doing the scratch vocal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2023 3:47 AM

Wrapped up like a DOUCHE, ya know

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2023 3:49 AM

Well, if you've never been a big Springsteen fan I guess that explains it.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2023 4:40 AM

I didn’t like many songs on BITUSA until I heard the live versions on the 1986 box set. “No Surrender” is a classic live. And “Jersey Girl,” which had not been released before, is such a great song (thanks, Tom Waits). The very best of all, however, is the live version of “Thunder Road,” which was already one of the ten best songs of all time.

So my favorite Springsteen interpreter is Springsteen.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2023 5:58 AM

Bowie: game recognize game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2023 7:37 AM

My favorite Bruce cover is done by Rage Against the Machine- the Ghost of Tom Joad. Bruce was such a fan of this cover he had RATM guitarist Tom Morello play on an electric remake Bruce and the E Street Band did. That version is also great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2023 8:26 AM

What genre of music is this? Could never tolerate it

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 9:23 AM

Springsteen's recordings are like Thomas Kinkaide paintings so of course other artists do it better

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 10:02 AM

It's easy to cover something, hard to create it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2023 3:36 PM

So you would discount all the great vocalists, from Sinatra to Fitzgerald, because they "covered" songs instead of writing them?

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2023 3:38 PM

R17 I was talking about Manfred Mann's Earth Band (the subject of the thread). But I don't consider singing pop standards as "singing covers". The term originated with rock music, I think.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2023 3:46 PM

Fine, then I'll add Linda Ronstadt into that, since she had a 15 year career "covering" rock songs before she switched to standards.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band did more than just "cover" the song. They aren't a wedding band. They came up with the arrangements and produced the record themselves, as well as performing it. Is that easy? Let's see you do it.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2023 4:12 PM

R19 Sorry I hurt your feelings, Manfred, I didn't know you were posting in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2023 10:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!