Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m a nutritionist from Japan, home to the world’s longest-living people—here are 6 American foods I never eat.

Growing up in Japan, I fell in love with food at a young age. One of my favorite things to do is to cook for friends and family.

Japanese people are very intentional about their diet — and it shows: Japan is home to some of the world’s longest-living people. My mom, a cancer survivor, is 86 years old, and my aunt is still going strong at 98.

When I moved to the U.S., I tried a variety of popular American diets and food trends. But my body didn’t respond well to a lot of it. Now, as a nutritionist, my approach centers mostly around Japanese eating habits.

I always recommend foods that have medicinal properties and that promote longevity. Here are six foods you’ll never see me eating:

1. Hot dogs Processed meats are almost impossible to avoid if you live in the U.S. But not only are they high in salt, they also contain saturated fats that can raise your risk of certain cancers like colorectal cancer and breast cancer.

What I eat instead: When I want something high in protein but low in salt and preservatives, I opt for tofu. I also love multigrain rice balls with tuna wrapped in seaweed, which is packed with important minerals such as iron, calcium, folate and magnesium.

2. Fast food hamburgers When McDonald’s opened its very first location in Osaka, Japan, it was a big deal. I only ate there as a treat on rare occasions.

But like with most fast food, it made me feel bloated and tired, so I’ve since stopped. Plus, it’s high in salt, trans fats and saturated fats, which can raise the level of LDL “bad” cholesterol in your blood.

What I eat instead: Tofu burgers are surprisingly tasty. I like to put a tofu patty on a crispy brown rice ball, topped with some edamame. It’s both an economical and environmentally friendly choice.

3. Sugary sodas Drinking sugary sodas regularly (one to two cans a day or more) can put you at greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Be mindful of sodas with artificial sweeteners, too, which can make it harder for you to focus and even trigger migraines.

What I eat instead: My favorite refreshing, low-calorie beverages are green teas, like an iced matcha or hojicha (which contains less caffeine).

4. Sugary breakfast cereals When we’re in a rush and have no time to eat in the morning, it’s tempting to default to cereal. But I never eat any with added sugars or ingredients that I don’t recognize.

Too much sugar can lead to issues with your blood pressure, weight gain, increased inflammation, and put you at risk for diabetes.

What I eat instead: My go-to healthy breakfast alternative is natto, a Japanese dish made from fermented soybeans, with some multigrain rice.

5. Cream cheese Dairy is a great source of calcium and protein, but not all cheese products will give you the best health benefits.

I tend to avoid cream cheese because the most popular consumer brands will only get you around five grams of protein. And just one ounce of it can contain a whopping 27 milligrams of cholesterol.

What I eat instead: My favorite flavorful spread is kinako, which is made from soy flour and sesame paste.

6. Candy You don’t have to eliminate all candies from your diet. Dark chocolate, for example, can be rich in disease-fighting antioxidants. But too much sugary, corn starch-laden sweets can be harmful to your heart and your brain.

What I eat instead: To satisfy my sweet cravings, I’ll have chia seed pudding with honey or agave syrup, frozen bananas, or unsweetened dark chocolate. Of course, a small piece of cake with friends is perfectly fine on special occasions.

Michiko Tomioka, MBA, RDN is a certified nutritionist and longevity expert. Born and raised Nara, Japan, her approach focuses on a plant-based diet. She has worked in nutritional roles at substance recovery centers, charter schools and food banks. Follow her on Instagram @michian_rd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 24, 2023 2:55 PM

How utterly boring. Some oriental is telling us to eat tasteless oriental food. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2023 7:21 PM

This person eats tofu as a replacement for hot dogs???

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote]When I moved to the U.S.,

She should start trying big, black cocks, instead of wasting her time lecturing people.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2023 7:24 PM

But, don't you want to live to be 125, r1/r2?

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2023 7:24 PM

Life sucks, I'm not trying to add more years to mine.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2023 7:25 PM

R3.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2023 7:25 PM

We should be lucky tofu wasn’t the recommended replacement for everything…

Sugary sodas? I have tofu frappes!

Cereal? Admiral Ichiro’s Tofu Squares! (tho Margo is basically made from the same as tofu)

Candy? I dip tofu chunks in agave syrup and bake them!

Good for the Halanese and their life expectancy. This person just made my life seem longer by their drudgery.

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2023 7:26 PM

Couldn't have said better myself, r5!

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2023 7:26 PM

Exactly @R5

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2023 7:27 PM

Wait, it's a she? But, she has a mustache?

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2023 7:27 PM

We all die.

Eat the burger.

by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2023 7:32 PM

I don't think tofu existed years ago when all these old people were middle aged. And just because you come from a nation of long lifers doesn't make you an expert

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2023 7:32 PM

She's going to die of uterine, breast, or ovarian cancer with all those phytoestrogens in all that tofu and soy.

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2023 7:33 PM

Isn't tofu (and soy products in general) one of the most processed and genetically modified foods?

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2023 7:34 PM

[quote]Growing up in Japan, I fell in love with food at a young age.

She means "food."

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2023 7:35 PM

American diet is indeed deplorable and disgusting but all of these mediterranean/ nordic/ Japanese diet trends will be of little use here because our primary issue is chronic and extreme stress. Forget 100 year life spans when you're struggling to get by.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2023 7:35 PM

Tonkotsu, Curry rice, Tempura, Yakitori, MOS burger, Okonomiyaki, Green Tea Kit Kats, and KFC for Christmas. That’s what’s making them live so long, not this shit.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2023 7:43 PM

When I crave a succulent steak, I eat grass, and I save a cow.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2023 8:00 PM

Well, smell her!

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2023 8:54 PM

The only item on the list I eat in a semi regular way (like once or twice a month) is the cream cheese. I love my smoked salmon with cream cheese on a slice of toast with the usual tomato, onion and capers on a Sunday morning. Gotta have it. The others I can live without.

I hope to make to 80somehing or more in good health.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2023 9:05 PM

[quote]One of my favorite things to do is to cook for friends and family.

Apparently your other favorite thing was putting far, far too many words together.

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2023 9:09 PM

Diet Coke, cigarettes, speed. Maybe some water, when absolutely necessary.

Food is for fat people.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2023 9:13 PM

I don't see the point in living to over 100 if you haven't enjoyed and made the most of life, most of those super-old people they interview say the same thing

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2023 9:14 PM

Hot dogs are disgusting though

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2023 9:14 PM

This Einstein recommends avoiding fast food burgers, hot dogs, soda, Captain Crunch, and candy.

Revolutionary!

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2023 9:18 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2023 9:19 PM

They may live longer but what's the point when the majority of their men have tiny willies.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2023 9:20 PM

I’m guessing all those Japanese “health” foods must also make people infertile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2023 9:20 PM

"Wouldn't it be terrible if you'd spent all your life doing everything you were supposed to do, didn't drink, didn't smoke, didn't eat things, took lots of exercise, all the things you didn't want to do, and suddenly one day you were run over by a big red bus, and as the wheels were crunching into you you'd say 'Oh my god, I could have got so drunk last night!' That's the way you should live your life, as if tomorrow you'll be run over by a big red bus."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2023 9:22 PM

^^ Cookie had a lot of good sense in there somewhere! ^^

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2023 9:24 PM

[quote]When I moved to the U.S.

Sayonara, Miyoshi.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2023 9:27 PM

[quote]I’m a nutritionist from Japan, home to the world’s longest-living people—here are 6 American foods I never eat.

I don't read DL threads that have clickbait headlines for titles.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2023 9:28 PM

I have no problem with her list until cream cheese. Fuck that. If I can't have cream cheese on a bagel once in a while, I'd prefer to die a few years earlier.

Ditto chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2023 9:29 PM

r10 For some reason, the image used for external links for the article is a man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2023 9:57 PM

r23 Exactly. I'm honestly not trying to be here past 40 because of that.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2023 9:58 PM

'You can live to a hundred if you give up everything that makes you WANT to live to a hundred.'

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2023 10:04 PM

He/she isn’t saying anything that every American doesn’t already know. Eating a hot dog from time to time is perfectly fine. This person sounds socially retarded and I’m sure s/he wouldn’t suggest that Japanese people completely abandon some favorite national treat they have. All things in moderation. And somebody needs to let her know that we have a nutritionist here also and they likely know much more than a sanctimonious, tofu, eating Jap who should be focusing on all the weird shit, the Japanese eat, instead of waxing on about the eating habits of people in America.

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2023 10:06 PM

Fat Whores Mourn!

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2023 10:09 PM

The nutritionist, despite being referred to as her several times, is a man.

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2023 10:09 PM

^ dude writes like a lady

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2023 10:11 PM

Fondant Wedding Cake? No! I opt for tuna-tofu cake with udon and sesame custard filling, umeboshi plums, with whipped rice "frosting" and nori flakes "Black Forest style"

by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2023 10:11 PM

Natto 🤮

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2023 10:34 PM

With all of that soy, I would bet money he has man boobs

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2023 10:40 PM

Eat whatever you want in moderation. The end.

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2023 1:31 AM

I watch Japanese food videos pretty regularly and there are some significantly unhealthy foods that people eat nearly daily in large portions, like katsu over rice with eggs and sauce, things like that. The one I just saw was a cafeteria where people eat over lunch break every day. None of the customers looked fat. I'm finding it hard to believe that this is a culture who only has a tiny piece of cake two times a year, as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2023 1:40 AM

r45 It is extremely hard to be vegan on a Japanese diet. Literally, everything is cooked in fish sauce. And that is not an exaggeration. As for dessert, castella cake is very popular there, and sakura jelly which I personally find too pretty to eat:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2023 2:17 AM

All things in moderation. I think it would be very hard for those of us not raised on natto, seaweed, and miso soup to find them satisfying substitutions for a burger or bowl of cereal.

I'd rather listen to the Italians when it comes to longevity tips...they certainly aren't eating that crap!

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2023 2:35 AM

Osaka yourself off, Nippy.

by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2023 2:40 AM

Tofu and seaweed? No. Just...no. I can't. I can eliminate MacDonalds and 95% of processed meats. I can eliminate red meat. I can not eat fermented anything. Good luck. I can't eat a lot of dairy, but I can do yogurt, and so I will. I eat brown rice. I eat two slices of whole grain t oast every day. I eat vegetables. My biggest most t errible problem is sweets. I'm talking cookies, cake, pies. And when I really fall off the wagon, chips. But I t ry to avoid them80% of the time I do. I like hummus and I just bought some carrot sticks and celery to eat with hummus. I intend to eat more salads this week, oatmeal for breakfast or yogurt with fruit, and fish and chicken. Tuna, Salmon, cod. I have lentil soup in the freezer so that's on my list. And I am going to do more exercise. Those are my goals this week. wish me luck. And this nutritionist can peddle his seaweed and tofu someplace else.

by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2023 2:50 AM

I think one reason why people in other countries look thinner than us is because they aren't as sedentary. They walk, they ride bikes, and they do it out of necessity.

by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2023 2:53 AM

I'd rather die @75 than eat any of that crap mentioned. I'm 68, my parents are mid-90s and grandparents lived to be 98 and 104. ALL smoked, drank and ate what they wanted. It's mostly genetics

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2023 3:02 AM

Errrrmmmmmmm.... If Americans don't know that they are not supposed to eat that kind of food every week or frequently, they are lost...

by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2023 4:26 AM

What about whale meat? Does she eat that or does she sub in tofu yet again?

by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2023 4:35 AM

Haven't read all the posts. I understand about not eating the food & beverages he cites but his substitutions are crap. I'd do without before I'd eat the shit he suggests.

by Anonymousreply 54May 22, 2023 5:15 AM

I thought the longest living people were some Asian mountain people who ate yogurt. I remember reading that in a Smithsonian article.

by Anonymousreply 55May 22, 2023 5:17 AM

Oh dear. The Rejoicing Fat Whores of DL™ won't like this thread at all...

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2023 5:25 AM

Thank goodness pies, cakes and cookies aren’t on the list!

by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2023 5:55 AM

[quote]It is extremely hard to be vegan on a Japanese diet. Literally, everything is cooked in fish sauce.

You mean dashi stock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2023 5:59 AM

Don't forget the fins cut off live sharks, Fish Prostates, and endangered whale steaks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 22, 2023 6:00 AM

[quote]I'd rather listen to the Italians when it comes to longevity tips...they certainly aren't eating that crap!

But they age horribly!

by Anonymousreply 60May 22, 2023 11:24 AM

A Yoko Ono drag king….

by Anonymousreply 61May 22, 2023 11:28 AM

[quote]Eat whatever you want in moderation. The end.

You lost me at "in moderation."

by Anonymousreply 62May 22, 2023 11:29 AM

My grandmother lived past 100 and, although she was raised by Italian immigrants, she ate a typical American diet most of her life.

I read something recently that posited longevity is related more to genetics than lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 63May 22, 2023 11:39 AM

If you watch any of those "living in Japan" videos on Youtube, you'll see that Japanese people now eat tons of Western food, more than they did even 20 years ago - there are burgers and fried chicken everywhere. They also suck down coffee and Western sweets like donuts as if there's no tomorrow. The author is way out of touch with what's going on in Japan now from a nutritional standpoint.

by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2023 11:45 AM

Isn’t tofu a concern for men’s estrogen levels if eaten in excess (i.e. as a healthy alternative to everything else)?

by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2023 11:52 AM

Eating is for the weak.

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2023 12:08 PM

Japan's Colonel Sanders looks like he spends his free time taking upskirt photos of schoolgirls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2023 12:18 PM

this article made me mad, that she just listed a bunch of obviously junk ass food and then frames it like it's this secret wisdom she attained by being such a jet setter. yeah i spent a thousand years meditating in the himalayas and i figured out that you should drink more water and avoid candy bars.

by Anonymousreply 68May 22, 2023 12:18 PM

R1 is commenting from the 1950s.

It’s Asian, not Oriental, you stupid racist.

by Anonymousreply 69May 22, 2023 12:28 PM

"Candy", "sugary sodas" and "hot dogs" are not strictly American foods.

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2023 12:35 PM

R70 No, they're uniquely American. No other country on Earth has them. The whole of Europe only eats unprocessed Vegan food.

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2023 12:39 PM

Instead of sugary soda, try a delicious boba tea, chock full of sugar and blobs of straight tapioca!

On a more serious note, Japanese people do manage to stay thin and live long while eating a diet loaded with fiber-free carbs. So rot in hell, Dr. Atkins. Besides all the rice, Japanese people love, love, love their beer. (Source: My Japanese friend's family get togethers. Homemade mochi and copious quantities of cheap beer figure prominently. Yet the only fat person is my friend who is half Japanese, half American.) Genes.

by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2023 12:43 PM

Japanese eat a lot of seaweed and sea vegetables which counteracts the negative effects from eating so much soy and soy derived products. Fish soup with vegetables is the norm for breakfast or lunch.

Desserts including cake are much less sweet than in the US, and portions are tiny. A slice of fruit is also considered to be an after dinner treat.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2023 2:28 PM

I tried one of these "seaweed snacks" a few years ago. It was the most repulsive thing I've ever eaten

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2023 2:30 PM

[quote]It was the most repulsive thing I've ever eaten

Try eating Janet Jackson's pussy!

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2023 2:32 PM

Short people live longer.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2023 2:38 PM

[quote[Short people live longer.

Yay!

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2023 2:39 PM

Somehow forgot to note that Japan has four times the UK's gastric cancer rate, owing to high consumption of salted fermented foods, like pickled vegetables and soy sauce.

by Anonymousreply 78May 22, 2023 2:49 PM

What kind of hot dog bun and condiments do you recommend for TofuDogs ?

by Anonymousreply 79May 22, 2023 2:51 PM

What diet do Sumo wrestlers swear by?

by Anonymousreply 80May 22, 2023 2:55 PM

😏 Well, the Colin & Talia situation appears to have been resolved.

[italic] The Bakery Is Open for Business !

by Anonymousreply 81May 22, 2023 2:58 PM

😂 😂 😂 ^^^^ So, So very much sorry, Wong Thread.

by Anonymousreply 82May 22, 2023 3:00 PM

It happens, r82! No big deal!

by Anonymousreply 83May 22, 2023 3:01 PM

Look. Some things are not good for you. Obvious things. Fast food. Processed foods like lunchmeats, and smoked cured meats with chemicals. Red meat is very hard on your colon, it raise your blood sugar levels and it 's high in bad cholesterol. Kf you eat a diet of poultry and fish, vegetables and some fresh fruit, beans like lentils, black beans and white beans whole grains very sparingly, and cook with olive oil, you'll be f ine. Eggs and yogurt (plain Greek, low fat) as well. It's not complicated. And eat often, but watch your portion control, also don't eat late at night. Drink water. Exercise.

If you are very g ood 6 days a week, you can have a "cheat day" but don't go nuts on cheat day. I'd also stop drinking distilled alcohol. Stick to beer and wine.

by Anonymousreply 84May 22, 2023 3:03 PM

Food is one of the greatest pleasures of my life. Yes, I'm a fat whore who has struggled with depression almost all my life. Food is reliable and comforting. People, not so much.

I eat what makes me happy, if only in the moment, and deal with the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 85May 22, 2023 3:12 PM

[quote]struggled with depression almost all my life.

Sorry to hear that, r85. :(

Maybe get a little duck pond and add some baby ducks?

I find animals comforting for that, personally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 23, 2023 12:21 AM

[quote]It's not complicated.

But it certainly sounds dreary, R84. Thanks for the advice, but I'll eat what I like, thanks. I'm not going to live forever no matter what I eat, and I have no desire to be 100 years old. I'm already 72, so if I drop dead tomorrow, fine.

by Anonymousreply 87May 23, 2023 1:23 AM

87 replies of Americans being American.

by Anonymousreply 88May 23, 2023 1:44 AM

The nutritionist was describing what she eats not dictating what any of you should eat, but has clearly struck a nerve.

Some of you need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 89May 23, 2023 2:09 AM

R87, God bless! I'm not trying to visit my advice on anyone. You do you. I was merely commenting on the nutritionist's advice. And I just feel like it isn't that complicated. We see ads for new diet techniques or psych methods, etc. all the time and people pay a small fortune on diet fads and powders and all kinds of stuff. But I truly do feel like it's not that hard to figure out what you're "supposed to" do to get healthy, even if you may not lose that much weight. Whatever. One thing I can say is that I have noticed that once I successfully avid something for a period of time, I no longer crave it, and after a while if I do try something it doesn't taste as good as I remember. I started getting heartburn. So I had to figure out what triggered it. Now I just avoid stuff because it triggers memories of feeling bad.

by Anonymousreply 90May 23, 2023 3:17 AM

Wow, this blows my mind! I've never heard of these foods being unhealthy. I wake up every morning and have a Pepsi and a hotdog. Now what am I going to do for breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 91May 23, 2023 3:37 AM

Japanese colonel sanders is hot

by Anonymousreply 92May 23, 2023 3:43 AM

Maybe the Japanese nutritionist is worried because the young kids in Japan don't like seaweed, they prefer a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 93May 23, 2023 3:46 AM

There's too much white rice in the Japanese diet, and too much sodium from soy sauce.

by Anonymousreply 94May 23, 2023 3:47 AM

Hooray for hot dogs. God bless America !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 23, 2023 5:24 AM

They weren't exactly the "longest-living people" in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

by Anonymousreply 96May 23, 2023 7:53 AM

R96 Yes, again, thanks to American junk!

by Anonymousreply 97May 23, 2023 8:00 AM

That's what I find so click-baity about this dubious article. The headline hints of arcane knowledge and secrets to long life that we wouldn't necessarily know for ourselves. Then we're told not to drink sugary sodas and to avoid hot dogs and other processed meats. Really? That's the big secret?

by Anonymousreply 98May 23, 2023 8:43 AM

I think people here were off put by her vague smugness.

by Anonymousreply 99May 23, 2023 9:17 AM

I didn’t need Confucius here to tell me that junk food is bad for me but I hope she enjoyed my clicks

by Anonymousreply 100May 23, 2023 11:29 AM

R100 Confucius was from China. The nutritionist is from Japan.

China and Japan are separate countries.

I wouldn’t usually feel the need to explain that but you’re obviously American and we often need to make allowances for Americans.

by Anonymousreply 101May 23, 2023 11:35 AM

[quote]One thing I can say is that I have noticed that once I successfully avid something for a period of time, I no longer crave it, and after a while if I do try something it doesn't taste as good as I remember.

I drank vast amounts of diet Pepsi for about 10 years -- probably 4-5 20 oz. bottles a day. I quit cold turkey 10 years ago and switched to water and green tea.

About five years ago I was at a conference and the only thing left to drink in one session was diet Pepsi, so I cracked one open and took a sip. It was absolutely vile, I couldn't believe I ever liked that swill.

by Anonymousreply 102May 23, 2023 11:49 AM

r101 Confucianism has been hugely influential in Japan (and Korea and Vietnam).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 23, 2023 11:53 AM

I only eat this. It's Japanese, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 23, 2023 12:00 PM

A sibling gave me some uncooked white rice she wasn't using and I ate it for a few days and it gave me fucking arthritis symptoms. My fingers felt all stiff. I stay the fuck away from white rice. It is trashy empty calories.

by Anonymousreply 105May 23, 2023 12:10 PM

Someone told me that if you leave cooked white rice in the refrigerator overnight, it will lose the glucose and will be ok to eat without spiking blood sugar. I find this not believable. But maybe it's true.

by Anonymousreply 106May 23, 2023 12:12 PM

He’ll take my Bisquick when he pries it out of my cold, dead hands.

by Anonymousreply 107May 23, 2023 12:29 PM

"Chia seed pudding" as a candy alternative is hilarious.

But I am glad to see I no longer ingest almost anything from that list. I have 1/3 to 1/2 a soft drink maybe five or six times a year, usually at a meeting at work when no other drink option is available. (Why are offices so toxic?) Sometimes I do crave Coke, but nowadays I get an alternative like Boylan's cola because it's made with sugar instead of corn syrup, and I never drink more than half.

The only other thing from the list I ever eat is candy—again, always because people bring it into the office or sometimes I eat it when I visit my dad.

I haven't had a hot dog since I was 12 and learned how hot dogs are made. I have a package of them in my fridge because I ordered groceries last week and the store accidentally sent me hot dogs. I don't know what to do with them...so I guess I'll bring them to work.

by Anonymousreply 108May 23, 2023 12:43 PM

I thought the Russian Georgians and Mediterranean people had the better diets and lived the longest. I think these people live longer because their food isn't processed to death.

by Anonymousreply 109May 23, 2023 1:22 PM

People do also just have different genetic programming and there are LOTS of other environmental factors—what's in our drinking water, what's in the air we breathe, cleaning chemicals, infections that trigger immune system problems, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 23, 2023 1:24 PM

This diet helped me maintain my youthful looks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 23, 2023 1:56 PM

Reading this thread has got me thinking that people aren’t getting sick and dying from the foods they eat but rather from stressing out over the foods they eat. Just eat whatever you want in moderation, and you’ll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 112May 23, 2023 2:15 PM

That nutritionist's diet doesn't make you live longer. It just FEELS longer to the people on it.

by Anonymousreply 113May 23, 2023 7:03 PM

R112 No one cares what you think, buddy.

by Anonymousreply 114May 23, 2023 7:19 PM

Thanks for serving as the spokesman for all of us, R114, but nobody cares what you think.

by Anonymousreply 115May 23, 2023 7:34 PM

R115 Nobody cares what you think, buddy.

by Anonymousreply 116May 23, 2023 8:18 PM

That wasn't at all predictable, R116.

by Anonymousreply 117May 23, 2023 8:20 PM

R116 I do!

by Anonymousreply 118May 24, 2023 9:31 AM

R117 No one cares what you think, buddy.

by Anonymousreply 119May 24, 2023 12:55 PM

Who let the children in? It's time for your nap!

by Anonymousreply 120May 24, 2023 1:02 PM

WE need primetime permanently. It always keeps the troll off.

by Anonymousreply 121May 24, 2023 1:09 PM

I’m not giving up my kosher hot dogs and cream cheese. I don’t eat them enough to be a problem but when I want a hot dog occasionally, or a bagel, I’m having one.

Who eats sugary sodas and cereals anyway? Weren’t not 8 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 122May 24, 2023 1:16 PM

R122, actually I just switched to cream cheese. I love my toasted, wheat bread. Good bread from a bakery. I usually slather it with butter and orange marmalade, but I tried whipped cream cheese and it has only 60 calories compared to butter which has about 110 +. I tend to use more butter.

by Anonymousreply 123May 24, 2023 1:21 PM

R122 What a moronic thing to say. Just because you don't, it doesn't exist. Jeesus fack youse stupid.

by Anonymousreply 124May 24, 2023 1:43 PM

I didn’t know adults still ate things like hot dogs and bologna

by Anonymousreply 125May 24, 2023 2:23 PM

Marinated tofu is one of the wonders of the world. I LOVE it.

by Anonymousreply 126May 24, 2023 2:34 PM

R124 speak for yourself. Well, actually you did-

Nice sentence [quote]Jeesus fack youse stupid.

by Anonymousreply 127May 24, 2023 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!