Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"It Follows" (2014)

I just rewatched this for the first time in years (I originally saw it in the theater) and it is better than I remember it being. The premise is unique, and the scares in it are practical, subtle, and rooted in the mundane, which makes them extremely effective. Aside from the visual/musical odes to "Halloween", I've never seen anything else quite like it. I find it strange that the director has only done one other film since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2023 2:10 AM

The naked man on the roof is the main character's grandfather. So there's some subtext.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2023 10:23 PM

I would have flown to another country as far away as possible and fucked the sluttiest prostitute I could find on a Friday or Saturday night, maybe at a truck stop or something.

She was way too prudish.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2023 10:54 PM

That scene where she thinks she's being protected by her friends being around and then one opens the door to the bedroom and that tall guy just swoops right in scared the ever living shit out of me.

Great, moody film and the music is fantastic. I play the score a lot.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2023 11:00 PM

The director shot himself in the foot with his following feature. Because IT FOLLOWS was such a success, he was able to negotiate final cut on the next movie. It was an overlong mess, the studio begged him to cut it, he refused, the movie flopped.

End of career.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2023 11:26 PM

I remember seeing it with all the hype in my head and found it overwhelming.

I laughed that she kept telling her friends that her vagina would kill them and they kept begging to fuck her.

If it was me, I would've asked my high school crush what the line was. Could I jerk him off? Blow him?

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2023 11:30 PM

R4 was it another horror movie?

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2023 1:32 PM

R6, IMDb can be used without registering. "Under the Silver Lake" was his next film (currently available on Paramount+), apparently a modern film noir. Metacritic scores range from 20 to 100 and user scores from 0 to 10 (don't know why they use different values). Mitchell is also listed as writer/director for "Untitled Ann Hathaway Project," so I guess his career isn't quite over. Fun Fact: DL fave Sydney Sweeney was in "Under the Silver Lake." Thanks, IMDb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2023 2:16 PM

There's a strange dreamy quality to the film. Other than a brief appearance by one of their parents there aren't really any adults around. Aside from the supernatural element it really captured adolescence; a lot of times it's boring and aimless and uneasy. Not present were all the outsized personalities in most teen movies.

Little things also make it disorienting. There's an old tube TV visible in one scene and then her sister is using some device that looked like a kindle on a makeup compact or something that I'm not aware of existing.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2023 2:52 PM

[Quote] IMDb can be used without registering.

I know, i'm just lazy. Thanks for answering.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2023 2:59 PM

Under The Silver Lake is great cause Andrew Garfield shows off his sweet little ass in it several times.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2023 3:02 PM

R10 he gave a great performance (and has a sweet ass), but the movie DESPERATELY needed an editor

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2023 3:40 PM

It's so great. So much better than "Smile" which pretty much rips it off and yet made ten times more money.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2023 3:44 PM

[Quote] and then her sister is using some device that looked like a kindle on a makeup compact or something that I'm not aware of existing.

I remember that and wondered if it was actually real or just made up?

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2023 3:51 AM

The odd little device is one thing that makes it seem a little surreal. Also the fact that the seasons change from scene to scene... summer one minute, autumn the next, then back again. It's cleverly unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2023 6:47 AM

R8, good point. The story is set in the suburbs of Detroit, but the period in which it takes place is left vague. There are a lot of elements suggesting the late ‘70s or ‘80s, but modern things crop up occasionally – or that weird Kindle-type device that you mentioned.

It's a really good movie that rewards on many levels. Thanks to OP for bringing it up; I moved it to the top of my ridiculously long Amazon watchlist.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2023 9:21 AM

I saw Under the Silver Lake, and I really liked its weird vibe and eccentric characters - very LA - but, yeah, it's way too long.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2023 9:36 AM

I saw this with my husband who is a psychologist and NOT a horror fan. He took it to be a metaphor for child abuse. Child abuse victims typically are in a frozen emotional state, which would explain the weird anachronistic flourishes - you cant really tell when this movie takes place.

And the nature of the demonic threat - slow, plodding, always there, wearing the faces of human adults. Creating a sense of anxiety and dread. Never knowing when it might happen again - just knowing that it will at some point.

Trauma basically.

I thought that was an interesting take.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2023 9:56 AM

[quote]There's an old tube TV visible in one scene and then her sister is using some device that looked like a kindle on a makeup compact or something that I'm not aware of existing.

The mix of old and new cultural touchstones and technology is meant to be disorienting, and it is. I really liked that Kindle thing the friend has; she's reading a Russian novel but I can't remember which one.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2023 10:01 AM

‘It Follows’ sounds like it’s a movie about toxic farts

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2023 10:01 AM

[quote]The naked man on the roof is the main character's grandfather

I thought it was the dad? The mom says something on the phone that implies the dad, her husband, is dead, if I recall.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2023 10:02 AM

Like other posters have noted, there is a weird timeless mixture of elements in the film that make it feel like it's taking place in both modern day and in the past, which I'm sure was intentional. The movie opens with the teenagers going on a date to see "Charade" at a baroque movie theater; shortly after, you see the weird clamshell Kindle-type reading device used by the friend, which is a nod that the film isn't actually taking place in the distant past. The interiors of the main character's house look like a mixture of '70s and '90s suburbia, but the teenagers (particularly the lead) feel somewhat modern (the main character, for example, has small hand tattoos that are very 21st-century hipster-esque). I think it's all purposely disorienting. What I particularly liked was the fact that the kids in the film really do appear to come from a lower-class suburban background. All of the houses in the film look dated and shabby. You get the sense that these are working-class people with limited means who are managing to stay afloat in the industrial wasteland of Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2023 1:50 AM

I see every horror movie pretty much. Good, stupid, campy, you name it, love horror. Rarely spooked though. This was one of the few movies that left me legit unnerved when I originally saw it. I was looking out of the window seeing things for several weeks. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2023 1:53 AM

R22 I had the same experience, as did the other people I know who saw it at the time. It's one of those rare movies that managed to effectively twist the everyday into something really scary—just a stranger walking toward you becomes a supernatural threat. It is a minimalist concept that was done remarkably well.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2023 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!