Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don't Mess With the Mouse!

History will write Bob Iger fired the first shots to save America from the extreme right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 25, 2023 4:31 AM

I really don't understand his feud with Disney. Is it because it's a gay friendly corporation?

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2023 6:26 PM

[quote]“Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?” Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said on an earnings-related conference call with analysts last week.

Shrewd of Iger to separate state from governor.

Dispenses with asking if DeSantis wants the revenue stream and puts it right into the lap of Floridians.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2023 6:26 PM

Team Mouse! May Disney OBLITERATE the Meatball.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2023 6:35 PM

^ Disney is not withholding jobs, this was a plan to move employees to Florida as part of a relocation. The employees are staying employed in California.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2023 6:49 PM

R4 - Why are you even visiting the DataLounge????

Most people do not care one iota about 'woke' and 'transgender' politics if it does not affect them directly.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2023 6:50 PM

We found our MAGA troll! Hi R4 !

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2023 6:51 PM

r4, How is life there in Moscow? Glad they're keeping you employed.

Maybe one day, if you save all the rubles they pay you at the troll farm, you'll be able to visit Disney World.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2023 7:00 PM

DeSantis' m.o. is to punish any organization that doesn't go along with his BS.

Totally anti-business.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2023 7:01 PM

DeSantis' m.o. is to punish any organization that doesn't go along with his BS.

Totally anti-business.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote] Thus, Disney will seem out of touch and petty for withholding out jobs due to the trans agenda and other woke policies.

Disney World continues to break records for profits, so DeSantis' tantrums aren't hurting it in the least. What may actually hurt is people refusing to spend money in Florida (like me) so They stop going altogether.

Unsure exactly what Disney's "Trans agenda" is (something that this troll made up, of course) but is it "woke" to believe gays should be treated like equal human beings?

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2023 7:03 PM

Don't fuck with me, Rhonda, this isn't my first rodeo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2023 7:11 PM

The parks will fine and this reversal does not impact attendance. Conservatives will still come to the parks while they complain online about woke Disney because the truth is that they don’t really care as long as their children and families are happy.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2023 7:17 PM

This is not related to DeSantis. The Lake Nona project was a problem since it was first announced. People whose jobs were in California didn’t want to be forced to relocate to the other side of the county, to a bad location in the Orlando area. Now Disney is being forced to cut costs because of the previous bad decisions with Disney+. The Lake Nona development had already been delayed and it was low hanging fruit to save money. I’m going to guess that all the continuing cuts at the parks will be associated with DeSantis too, even though the cost cutting predates the DeSantis feud.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2023 7:20 PM

^ Might as well get that good PR even if those cuts were going to happen anyway 😉

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2023 7:21 PM

R14 - I believe it is all the fault of DeSatan.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2023 7:22 PM

DeSantis is making it much easier for disney to pull the plug on this initiative

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2023 7:22 PM

[quote] ^ Might as well get that good PR even if those cuts were going to happen anyway

No way of knowing if the cuts were going to happen anyway, right?

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2023 7:23 PM

If only corporations could just do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2023 7:24 PM

@r18, According to the article and what r14 said these cuts were happening anyway, might as well stick it to Ron and make him the bad guy

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2023 7:26 PM

Dear God, cheerleading Disney.

How craven we've become.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2023 7:27 PM

Is no one standing the way of Fascists a better option?

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2023 7:28 PM

Won’t Ron DeSantis PLEASE shit in my mouth!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote] According to the article and what [R14] said these cuts were happening anyway.

No, according to the article, Disney is blaming DeSantis for changing Florida's business climate.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2023 7:30 PM

I can't help but wonder if this would be different if Chubbo was benefitting financially on the side some way. Maybe he's just pissed Disney isn't offering bribes.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2023 7:35 PM

Disney are the fascists R22.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2023 7:36 PM

@r24, Yes, they're blaming Ron, but it was probably going to happen anyway. Disney is out politicking the politician. Very smart mouse

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2023 7:37 PM

I don't know about Disney but Chubs is definitely a fascist. Removing access to books in libraries is big red alert.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote] Disney are the fascists [R22].

For daring to challenge the emperor? I think not

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2023 7:43 PM

Are we saying Disney is fascist based on the type of entertainment they’re choosing to provide? Don’t go to a Disney then I guess.. it’s not like they’re controlling citizens’ access to factual information. Ah-hem.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2023 7:44 PM

That woke, black Little Mermaid is really pissing off Skid-Marked DeSantis. He should be hog tied and dumped in the middle of the It's a Small World attraction so he has to listen to that song on a loop for days.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2023 7:48 PM

^ Him and Megyn (There ain't no black Santa) Kelly would make a nice pair 🙄

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2023 7:52 PM

They're an international mega corporation that has been caught using sweatshops, tax dodging, abusing employees, etc. many times.

They're often touted as an example of an evil corporation by leftists. At least they were when the left still existed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2023 7:54 PM

^ All corporations are evil, but at least Disney is pro-Gay evil

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2023 7:58 PM

[quote] They're an international mega corporation that has been caught using sweatshops, tax dodging, abusing employees, etc. many times. They're often touted as an example of an evil corporation by leftists. At least they were when the left still existed.

And suddenly the right cares?

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2023 7:59 PM

[Quote]All corporations are evil, but at least Disney MARKETS ITSELF AS pro-Gay evil

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2023 8:04 PM

Disney should sell the Florida property and move Disneyworld to a more receptive state, which I guess would need to be Georgia? The problem is that they need someplace far enough away from CA and warm enough so that they can operate all year long outdoors (and most of those places are MAGA heavy)

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2023 8:05 PM

The Galactic Starcruiser is closing this year., it has been announced. Another Disney project that was losing money. They had cut back on it schedule and still couldn’t fill the hotel.

Please feel free to pretend that this is somehow related to the DeSantis feud.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2023 8:10 PM

@r36, What? They promote Gay initiatives, they hire a lot of Gays, of course who else would wear those silly outfits? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2023 8:10 PM

Some people don't get how huge Walt Disney World is. It's not going anywhere, ever.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2023 8:10 PM

Amazing how many times I've seen complete imbeciles (incl. on here) use that moronic "go woke, go broke" line and yet I haven't seen any evidence of it.

FYI: White trash imbeciles shooting at Budlight cans, didn't exactly take down AB.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2023 8:11 PM

@r40, I'm sure they look at Ron as being a temporary pimple on their ass

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2023 8:12 PM

There are wall-to-wall gays working at Chik-Fil-A.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2023 8:14 PM

Exactly. Ron DeSantis is NOT going to make Disney World fold. Imagine Disney says, "Fuck it, we're outta here." They'd need a landfill the size of Rhode Island if they tore Disney World down.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2023 8:15 PM

R43, you’re telling me!

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2023 8:18 PM

Disney is making Ron look like the ineffectual ass that he is. How can Ron take on Putin if he can't take on Disney?

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2023 8:19 PM

R4 = Dumbvida.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2023 8:22 PM

More shit is about to come out about how his soft-launched (or limp-launched?) campaign is being financed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2023 8:59 PM

[quote]they look at Ron as being a temporary pimple on their ass

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2023 9:01 PM

Why are corps only evil when they don't lick the taints of your fat, fascist, Republican daddies R4? If they can't do enough for your Nazi peepaws, you love it when they make all of the rules including laws about the ladies bodies, working little kids in their factories, setting unsafe conditions for their workforce, etc.

Seriously, go fuck yourself R4.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2023 9:04 PM

R38, absolutely no one is linking the closing of the hotel to the DeSantis feud--but keep on trolling

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2023 9:05 PM

You'll have to pry my evil corporation from my cold, dead hands!

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2023 9:07 PM

I often wonder if NY Governor Kathy Hochul can tell NY-based Fox News what they can air and how they train their employees.

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2023 9:36 PM

The Star Wars hotel... it could have been a success if the rates weren't so damn high. They will probably reopen a modified version of it in the future. It has Zero appeal to me; although I am Gen X, the franchise never appealed to me.

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2023 9:39 PM

I live in Florida. Disney is not a favorite corporation of anyone in Florida.

However, Ron DeSatan DeSantis is pure concentrated evil. If Disney wants to kick DeSatan's a$$ and stomp the fucker flat, I support Disney 100%! If they start a crowdfunding site for an anti-DeSatan action campaign, I will gladly contribue $5.00,

by Anonymousreply 55May 18, 2023 10:18 PM

R26 doesn't know what a Fascist is.

by Anonymousreply 56May 18, 2023 10:18 PM

I love how dumb MAGAs are like, “Half those employees would’ve been imported from CA.”

Yeah, because having another 1,000 people earning 6-figure salaries would do nothing for the local economy.

These people are such idiots.

by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2023 12:25 AM

R4 is so funny. It thinks MAGAs are Americans!

Good one.

by Anonymousreply 58May 19, 2023 12:27 AM

R4 = too ugly to be trafficked for sex

by Anonymousreply 59May 19, 2023 12:28 AM

That’s okay, R14. We like this story better. Nobody bothers with facts anymore anyway so why should we. Your facts don’t matter. Thanks for nothing.

You can go fuck yourself now.

by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2023 12:32 AM

How quickly people choose to forget that the original quarrel with a state was with California over keeping the parks closed. Disney was then going to punish California by relocating some jobs to Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 19, 2023 12:36 AM

Fuck Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 19, 2023 12:48 AM

R61 Chapek is not Iger. He lacked the ability to be be diplomatic, likable, and win people over. His savage cost-cutting measures cost him his job. His tone deaf response to Don't Say Gay didn't help either. I'm not saying Iger was a perfect CEO. He made some bad calls too that have strained Disney financially by pushing for rapid expansion, but Iger is better at the interpersonal game, has more goodwill, and frankly, is more attractive. He is tasked with helping Disney navigate a lot: the Florida situation, Disney+ shedding subscribers, Star Wars park experience going bust, and MCU fatigue.

Long out of fresh ideas, I'm sure HBO is figuring out a way to do a new prestige show around an Iger-like figure. Who would play her?

by Anonymousreply 63May 19, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]History will write Bob Iger fired the first shots to save America from the extreme right.

Until they put the brick in Marsha's hand.

by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2023 1:30 AM

Please stop with the Marsha myth. The old drag queen/criminal/drug addict had nothing to do with Stonewall.

She was nodded out in the park during the riot by her own admission.

There are real heroes. Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2023 1:53 AM

[quote] Please feel free to pretend that this is somehow related to the DeSantis feud.

I will...

Any normal, effective governor would demonstrate to his constituents that he did everything possible to encourage further investment by the state's largest taxpaying corporation. But FatAss is seen as actively antagonizing them. He's term-limited and this whole thing was a show because he wants national office. So he will compromise FL's tax base and let Ft Lauderdale drown and Miami collapse into the ocean in service of his aspirations beyond Florida. There is absolutely no way Disney's news could be construed as a victory for his cause, it will be seen as his failure regardless of Disney's actual rationale.

by Anonymousreply 66May 19, 2023 2:17 AM

[quote] I live in Florida. Disney is not a favorite corporation of anyone in Florida.

I hear you and believe that. It's still a black-eye for FL.

Californians despise Elon Musk but Newsom made conspicuous and reasonable efforts to keep him from moving to TX -- and Telsa was far from our largest taxpayer. That's effective leadership.

by Anonymousreply 67May 19, 2023 2:25 AM

Good point r66, DeSatan is term limited, so he has absolutely nothing to lose by throwing his constituents under the bus.. there is literally nothing they could do. I hope if he’s nominated he loses Florida.

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2023 2:44 AM

DeSantis is extremely popular in Florida. He has them all convinced that Disney is evil.

by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2023 3:30 AM

R6 Jeremy Strong. Who else ? Sara Snook can play his wife.

by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2023 3:39 AM

poor Florida

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2023 3:52 AM

I bet there’s no Dole Whip in the Governor’s mansion either.

by Anonymousreply 72May 19, 2023 3:53 AM

Omg - just walked by the Disney store in MCO

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2023 4:31 AM

[quote]Chapek is not Iger. He lacked the ability to be be diplomatic, likable, and win people over. His savage cost-cutting measures cost him his job. His tone deaf response to Don't Say Gay didn't help either. I'm not saying Iger was a perfect CEO. He made some bad calls too that have strained Disney financially by pushing for rapid expansion, but Iger is better at the interpersonal game, has more goodwill, and frankly, is more attractive.

I thought Iger would be better at smoozing and would work to assuage DeSantis' concerns about Disney interfering in politics, but if anything, he's made the situation worse.

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2023 6:15 AM

@r71 "poor Florida "

Just wait until the state is up to it's ankles in sea water 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 19, 2023 6:19 AM

Warner Bros. tried to warn Disney...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 19, 2023 6:29 AM

As someone who has worked with Disney for years, they have managed to outsmart EVERY attempt at a boycott. Kids are addicted to Disney like crack, and MAGAT parents are fucked.

Yes, Ursula was based on Divine. Suck it.

by Anonymousreply 77May 19, 2023 6:42 AM

DeSantis is not boycotting Disney.

by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2023 6:51 AM

R78- retard.

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2023 7:14 AM

@r78, No, but it seems he would like everyone else to... Ain't gonna happen rednecks love DisneyWorld

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2023 7:21 AM

DeSantis has not called for any boycott of Disney World.

by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2023 7:23 AM

^ He's implying it by trying to make Disney the evil woke leftist

by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2023 7:25 AM

How stupid are you? No, he has not called for a boycott. Assault, yes. Which is worse.

by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2023 7:34 AM

Somebody got disrespected in the Kingdom of the Mouse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2023 7:57 AM

Rhonda may not have used the words "boycott Disney" but he used equally nasty statements about the

1. Biggest taxpayer in the state

2. Largest employer in the state

3. The place he got married!

"They don't run this state!" "There's a new Sherriff in town!" (LOL - said while wearing high-heel boots!)

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2023 11:40 PM

r85, those are the reasons he would never boycott Disney World or ask anyone else to.

by Anonymousreply 86May 20, 2023 12:28 AM

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 87May 20, 2023 12:55 AM

^You first nitwit.

by Anonymousreply 88May 20, 2023 1:01 AM

White trash can find another trashy beer to consume (and probably owned by AB, too), but there is nothing like Disney, so good luck boycotting them if you're MAGAt trash.

by Anonymousreply 89May 20, 2023 1:07 AM

Just like he never told libraries to ban books….

by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2023 1:29 AM

The DeSantis apologist needs someone to shit in his mouth endlessly.

by Anonymousreply 91May 20, 2023 2:06 AM

It's time for Rhonda to introduce a state personal income tax to prepare for lost revenue.

by Anonymousreply 92May 20, 2023 2:15 AM

He wants you to live your life the way he thinks you should. I saw a clip the other day where he was talking - I didn't really listen since he pisses me off - and his wife was next to him nodding in agreement with his every word. She's a fucking bobblehead.

by Anonymousreply 93May 20, 2023 2:45 AM

Woke Disney Fights Back! Hell Yeah!

by Anonymousreply 94May 20, 2023 3:11 AM

Anyone who uses the word "woke" should be shot in the face R94.

by Anonymousreply 95May 20, 2023 3:13 AM

[quote]It's time for Rhonda to introduce a state personal income tax to prepare for lost revenue.

Maybe Rhonda will gain some taxes on the $17 billion dollars of Disney investment that parks chairman Josh D'Amaro acknowledged in the same memo as the Lake Nona announcement.

[quote]D’Amaro reiterated in his memo that the company still plans to invest $17 billion in Florida over the next 10 years, including the addition of around 13,000 jobs. The company currently employs more than 75,000 people in the state.

by Anonymousreply 96May 20, 2023 3:24 AM

I wonder how much it would cost overall for Disney to leave the shithole state of Florida? Is it a financial hit they could take?

by Anonymousreply 97May 20, 2023 3:27 AM

Theme parks like Disney's cost at least a billion to make when done right. For example, under Eisner, Disney's. California Adventure came in at around $500M. But that was in 2000-2001 and it was done on the cheap and felt it. Iger spent at least one billion fixing it just a few years after opening. In years later, additional, costly expansions were also added abd to have that done all at once likely would have added another billion to the price tag. Disney isn't like Suzlx Fkags where e erythjbg us bought offline and given a shroud and a little theming; more or less, each attraction is designed and built for the exact spot assigned it. So, even if Disney wanted to, they can't just recreate WDW in a day or even a few years. But--AS we saw with the Lake Nona plan they just pulled from Florida__what they can do is, instead of Florida, concentrate all their efforts on California and invest there, instead. And the Florida cruise industry that Disney reignited with their cruise ships and terminals? Those boats can be homed in other states, taking that part of the cruise industry with them, out of Florida. The $17 billion Disney planned on spending in Florida - - while not announced, included a long-rumored and allegedly long-planned fifth Florida park - - will be in serious jeopardy. Iger doesn't fuck around. Bit he won't move the Kari's. There's just too much there to re-create elsewhere and the only states with weather that couod accommodate such a year-round operation are red states that would likely offer the same challenges we're seeing Florida give Disney now.

by Anonymousreply 98May 20, 2023 3:50 AM

Oh Jesus. Forgive my typos. Very tired.

[quote] Disney isn't like Suzlx Fkags where e erythjbg us bought offline

Disney isn't like Six Fkags where everything is bought offline

[quote] Bit he won't move the Kari's.

But he won't move the parks.

by Anonymousreply 99May 20, 2023 4:00 AM

Damn, I just cleared out a lot of my blocked poster list, and must have accidentally removed r95. Back you go.

by Anonymousreply 100May 20, 2023 5:17 PM

[quote]The DeSantis apologist needs someone to shit in his mouth endlessly.

I imagine anyone who sinks so low as to defend DeSantis, enjoys that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 101May 20, 2023 5:54 PM

R99 I cackled at your typos. Sorry. Glad you didn't have a stroke and are well.

by Anonymousreply 102May 20, 2023 6:36 PM

Disney knows very well that it will outlast DeSantis. It’s playing the long game

by Anonymousreply 103May 20, 2023 6:55 PM

I’m so glad we cut through all the bullshit to land on THE biggest point and most critical idea to consider in this huge mess: Iger is fucking smoking hot. OMG, can you imagine how he throws down? There is no doubt he is rough, and I mean that as a compliment. Hot hot hot.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 104May 20, 2023 7:10 PM

Iger does cut a dashing figure.

by Anonymousreply 105May 20, 2023 7:44 PM

So sad to be leaving Disney now. *sniff* *sniff*

by Anonymousreply 106May 24, 2023 10:00 PM

I'm waiting for Disney to announce it's moving Disney World to a spot near Atlanta. It will be closer for East Coast and Midwestern folks. Closer for Texans, too.

I think Florida's population will rebel at this. Tourism in the entire state will be affected. They'll sweep DeSantis out of office by demanding his resignation.

When I was a kid, we drove to Disney World from our motel in Pompano Beach. We were so excited we didn't complain about the drive. We fell asleep right after we left the park and slept the whole way back to our motel.

I know people who vacation in Clearwater and Sarasota and take their families on a one day trip to Disney.

by Anonymousreply 107May 25, 2023 12:26 AM

It’d be easier to move Rhode Island than to move WDW.

by Anonymousreply 108May 25, 2023 1:38 AM

Walt Disney World is about the same size as the city of San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 109May 25, 2023 2:06 AM

Still, it is moveable in the sense that they can replicate it. It’s just a template they use for all these parks anyway — obviously, the *construction* would take years and cost billions upon billions. If GA’s governor was smart, he would be publicly wooing Iger right now. If Louisiana governor was smart, he would be doing the same. Same with Alabama and Mississippi. Think of the JOBS this would bring these shitty states. Florida WILL miss Disney. If Iger does move it out, think of what will happen to DeSantis! He will be completed hated, for real.

They could do it in south GA where land is cheap and there’s no industry aside from agriculture, so it could be just a couple hours from the ocean. The towns closest to it will revive their beach hotel industry (plus restaurants and retail) so it is a win-win.

by Anonymousreply 110May 25, 2023 4:21 AM

Yes! And lord knows there won't be anything to worry about in those bastions of intelligent voters known as Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama!

by Anonymousreply 111May 25, 2023 4:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!