Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Poor Unfortunate Souls” from the new Little Mermaid

Very Rob Marshall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2023 8:29 PM

I love the original Disney Little Mermaid and I love Melissa McCarthy but why does she sound so winded?

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2023 9:28 PM

Electronics to make her sound musical?

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2023 9:38 PM

[Quote] Very Rob Marshall.

Uninspired and shit?

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2023 9:44 PM

She looks and sounds like shit. What were they thinking? Melissa is good at what she does, but this role requires someone grand, seductive, and larger than life to be successful.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2023 2:52 PM

Oh no! It’s not enough they have to butcher the classic premise…they’re going to target the songs as well?

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2023 2:56 PM

It looks as though she was directed to play Ursula like Streep in Prada.

Where’s McCarthy?

She actually looks uncomfortable doing this like her hands were tied.

Ursula is extremely expressive.

So is Melissa.

What the fuck happened?

She can be treacherous.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2023 12:37 AM

I think she looks great.

I would see this.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2023 12:48 AM

is she off-key when say sings "need"?

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2023 9:34 AM

It's not awful but meh. I thought she'd be a great choice but not so sure now. Btw, that Halle Bailey (or whatever her name is) is soooooo annoying in interviews. She also looks kinda creepy with all the strange closeups in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2023 11:07 AM

[quote]I love the original Disney Little Mermaid and I love Melissa McCarthy but why does she sound so winded?

Because it's hard to sing underwater, silly.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2023 11:17 AM

Poor unfortunate Melissa, she's not a stage actress so being expressive and grand is not natural for her. Even though this is film she needed to bring some of that to Ursula in order the match the character. This performance from Melissa seems timid, like she was trying not to screw it up or make a fool of herself. Rob clearly didn't help her with direction, she's playing it too straight and it comes off flat.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2023 11:26 AM

She should have learned from here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2023 11:48 AM

R11, she was adequately "expressive and grand" here, so she really "has it in her."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2023 11:58 AM

She sounds more like Ursula the Sea Bookkeeper than a Sea Witch. It’s like she’s reading tax law out loud.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2023 12:08 PM

An animated Ursula is ok. A live-action Ursula is scary and repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2023 12:19 PM

Maybe her hesitation and seemingly "flat" performance is because she's being flown around on wires or something. You can't talk the fear out of certain people if they're terrified of heights or of being hoisted around by cables. Chrissy Metz must have had a scheduling conflict.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2023 12:35 PM

Hey, let's ask Datalounge, they hate everything!

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2023 2:00 PM

I don't understand why Disney doesn't make the animals anthropomorphic in these remakes. In OP's clips the eels are just gross, while in the original they were sinister. It's boring to watch these creatures that have no facial expressions. That's the beauty of animation, you can anthropomorphize animals and inanimate objects. They're cartoons for god's sake, they're not supposed to be realistic. Why can't the Disney people understand that?

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2023 2:16 PM

[quote] An animated Ursula is ok. A live-action Ursula is scary and repulsive.

I think that’s why they went with Melissa. To try and give her a little charm maybe.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2023 3:28 PM

Take a lesson, Melissa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2023 7:27 AM

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to judge that clip without seeing how Melissa McCarthy delivers the line “Life’s full of tough choices…innit?

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2023 12:36 PM

The original singer didn't have explosive pipes either. But hell of a performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2023 10:59 AM

[quote]It's not awful but meh. I thought she'd be a great choice but not so sure now.

The songs in the original LM were some of Disney's best, but I agree, her delivery just seems flat & inspiring & this should be a *big* number.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2023 11:05 AM

I know DL hates her, but Phylicia Rashad would have been a great Ursula.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2023 11:09 AM

Julianna Moore. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2023 11:36 AM

[quote] Phylicia Rashad would have been a great Ursula.

She's 100 pounds too light.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2023 12:31 PM

Glenn would have emoted the hell outta that.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2023 1:04 PM

I knew they would botch this. You can't do The Little Mermaid, in any form, unless you get Ursula right. She's the best part. As Pat Carroll said "Ursula had the flamboyant theatricality of a Shakespearean actress, mixed with the speech of a car salesman and scammer." And of course, the essence of Divine. You've got to play it up, and big. The character is basically a big ol' drag queen.

I always thought they made an obvious mistake in the casting. They did a tv concert version several years ago, and had Queen Latifah play Ursula. She knocked it out of the park.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2023 1:48 PM

This would’ve been a fantastic role for Bette Midler

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2023 2:26 PM

Why is it so goddamned DARK?

I like McCarthy but she isn’t nearly campy enough for this.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2023 2:32 PM

Bette wanted Ariel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2023 2:32 PM

I was going to audition for the role of Ariel but they said I was too young.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2023 8:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!