Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Major Douglas Murray speech

He just made this in the UK and it's gaining traction on social media. Posted here because he's a significant cultural cultural figure, and (although it gives Millennials brain freezes) hearing alternative opinions is important, including for one's own development. My executive summary of the speech:–

Very witty opening, then methinks a wrong and fatuous error (which drives one crazy with conservatives) – the belief that the desire for social justice is driven by envy rather than a recognition of the need for such true justice. Midway in the speech, without questioning trans rights, he then sticks a simple common sense biological dagger into the heart of the gender ideology war. He then concludes with a winning point "What would we do if we were not held back", which is a variation of the life mantra "What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"

Rather than a fatuous crossing out, it would be good to see a reasoned analysis, or takedown if you will, of his principal arguments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2023 8:52 PM

can't click on it - nothing happens - how can that be?

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2023 9:38 AM

Try this link. Forgot to say for those not aware of him, that he is of course gay, so we need to keep tabs on the brothers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2023 9:42 AM

[quote]Forgot to say for those not aware of him, that he is of course gay,

Most people here know who he is and that he's gay. The gurls don't like him very much.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2023 9:45 AM

[quote] he's a significant cultural cultural figure

So significant that he gets two cultures! How meta.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2023 9:45 AM

R3 The girls are so narrow minded and zealous that they make the Puritans blush.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2023 9:47 AM

[quote]The gurls don't like him very much.

Noted. He's always been measured in his speech, but here seems measured AND smug. I hope fame isn't going to his head, because the culture needs incisive thinkers across the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2023 9:51 AM

Forgot to add: Gore Vidal was never not smug, and it didn't affect his intellect, so maybe the charge is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2023 9:53 AM

[quote]but here seems measured AND smug.

yes

[quote]I hope fame isn't going to his head,

You hope in vain.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2023 10:05 AM

He has a very vociferous fanbase.

"If Douglas Murray is speaking, then I am listening."

"The speech is utterly brilliant..and utterly Spot on…I believe every word…Brilliant Murray"

They leave comments like those - then dozens and dozens arrive to thumbs up and leave "I agree" comments.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2023 10:09 AM

Very slow and draggy delivery.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2023 10:12 AM

One can’t possibly talk about Douglas without mentioning his hunky fellow conservative-adjacent dudebro podcaster, Chris @chriswillx

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2023 1:39 PM

Okay, one more Mr Chris Williamson and I won’t highjack this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2023 1:41 PM

Love Doug.

Chris is clearly in love with his own face. When you watch him on YouTube you can see him gazing and his face and widening his eyes and he drinks himself in. I can’t watch him.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2023 1:55 PM

^Lmao

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2023 3:35 PM

[quote]When you watch him on YouTube you can see him gazing and his face and widening his eyes and he drinks himself in.

Oh how I hate that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2023 3:38 PM

I've just seen that the plenary speech at this conference was Faith Family Flag.

I think there's a missing F there. Perhaps two. Fuhrer and Fucked.

Wouldn't it be lovely if neither end of politics fell into strident certainly it had all the answers!

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2023 4:24 PM

Murray's speech was actually promoted by the organisation running the conference with Murray's quote about Germany "mucking it up twice" in reference to WW1 and WW2. Naturally it didn't go down well with British Jews and countless others. I get that he was being flippant but for fucks sake.

Conservative Nationalism or National Conservatism whatever it's called seems to be at odds with the secular liberal small state conservative policies we've had in Britain for generations now which saw a serial adulterer elected as Tory leader followed (after LT) by a British Asian Hindu.

There are some batshit loons in the Tory party.

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2023 4:36 PM

I refuse to pollute my brain with conservative garbage.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2023 4:41 PM

Fuck off, alt right trolls. This thread will be handy for F&Fing you so that Muriel can do her house cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2023 4:51 PM

[quote] Posted here because he's a significant cultural cultural figure, and (although it gives Millennials brain freezes) hearing alternative opinions

You mean liberals, not Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2023 5:14 PM

R20, I suspect Murray's concept of liberalism is the European one which is different than the current U.S. usage of the term.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2023 5:28 PM

And I thought he was still Sergeant Murray.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2023 7:28 PM

Fools like R19 think they're champions of democracy, whereas they're its worst enemies. Because a healthy democracy requires recognising the legitimacy of both sides. Part of the reason for the present convulsive state of politics is because both sides have become so polarised they're screaming at each other with their hands over their ears.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2023 2:44 PM

Your championing a speaker at the joke National Conservatism conference? Oh boy.

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2023 3:30 PM

So disgusting that someone is promoting the far right like Murray here. He doesn't even have any charisma although the Spectator and GB News loyally promote him, of course. F&F.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2023 3:40 PM

He always comes across as a smug dickhead to me.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2023 3:40 PM

Is he at least fuckable?

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2023 3:49 PM

From his wikipedia thread:

[quote]A number of academic and journalistic sources have linked Murray's ideology and political views to the far right,[159][160] the alt-right,[161] the Islamophobic[162] right or some combination thereof. Murray has also been accused of being xenophobic, chauvinist and racist, while he is regarded by others as "a great defender of free speech".[163] Critics accuse Murray of promoting far-right conspiracy theories, including the Great Replacement theory,[167] the Eurabia conspiracy theory[168][169] and the Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory.[170] However, he has indicated that he dislikes the term "Cultural Marxism".

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2023 3:56 PM

[quote]Rather than a fatuous crossing out, it would be good to see a reasoned analysis, or takedown if you will, of his principal arguments.

[bold]DEBATE MEEE! DEBATE MEEE! DEBATE MEE![/bold]

You Tory cunts can all just fuck off into the sun.

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2023 4:26 PM

[quote]Because a healthy democracy requires recognising the legitimacy of both sides.

Really, R23? So to you, democracy is one side telling the other side they have no right to exist? Really? That's democracy?

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2023 4:44 PM

Douglas Murray and Owen Jones are right/left versions of each other, except Douglas has more of a sense of humour about himself and is a lot more self aware.

Murray has been mostly incorrect about many of his observations but he is correct on his assessment on aspects of Islam and what is essentially a deeply conservative and intolerant strand that goes unchallenged by the left.

This is best demonstrated by Owen Jones and his coverage of the Batley and Spen by election in 2021 where Jones giggled his way through an interview with Putin sympathiser George Galloway who was courting Muslim votes. The Labour candidate was Kim Leadbeater, a lesbian who effectively returned to the closet for the election, the sister of Jo Cox MP who was murdered in 2016. Owen Jones was clearly upset that Labour won.

When a Labour insider said that Galloway was courting the Muslim vote (he'd been giving speeches in mosques about kids being taught about anal sex in schools) Owen Jones was furious that muslims were being smeared as homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote]I suspect Murray's concept of liberalism is the European one which is different than the current U.S. usage of the term.

It’s not. He’s on American shows all the time including Bill Maher. He hates some culture with a passion and destroys it bit by bit exposing the ignorance of the left when it comes to history.

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2023 5:44 PM

Douglas is called far-Right because he calls out Islam as being homophobic and misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2023 5:45 PM

It's funny to see him ask what could we all be doing if the Left weren't holding us back? Maybe this is actually a big difference between the UK and the US, but here in the US the obvious question is what could we be doing if conservative morons weren't constantly dragging us all back down to the bottom of the barrel?

Addressing climate change. Shriek! Howl! Darwin is evil! Genesis! Jeebus! Environmentalists are of the Devil! Science upsets me!

National Health Care. Shriek! Howl! Communism! Poor people just gotta die cause God Wills It! Negroes!!!

Poverty. Didn't you hear me before? NEGROES!!!! They're poor cause they're poor and any attempt to do something about it overturns God's law and pisses off white people!

People's sex lives. Leviticus! Will of Gawwddd! Noooooo!!!! Punish that bitch with a baby!

Guns. Oh fucking Christ. The shrieking and howling about ma gun, mah gun, my motherfucking gun!!!! can be heard on Mars.

And on and on and on. Nobody on the modern right, at least nobody in office or with a real following, has an intelligent answer to a real-world problem. Absolutely nobody. In the U.S. Again, this may be different in the U.K., where things like national health care are at least already in place and generally accepted.

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2023 6:22 PM

Douglas gets called a "cis white straight man" by a Yassss Kween British comic. The same Kween who, just before that, states on camera that he'd willingly have sex with Sam Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2023 7:59 PM

Culture wars aren't won by speeches, OP. If they were, we'd never get Trump in the first place because we all know how much Obama loved his speeches.

Both sides are preaching to their own choir, now it's only a matter of pure numbers and those numbers getting translated into political will. You know, democracy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2023 8:18 PM

I wonder when he'll do the fashionable gay English conservative thing and convert to Catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2023 8:20 PM

With a name like Douglas Murray I should think he's Scottish.

[quote]I wonder when he'll do the fashionable gay English conservative thing and convert to Catholicism.

I did that. I didn't know it was fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2023 8:23 PM

[quote] I did that. I didn't know it was fashionable.

You did? Really? Are you still gay? Is it some big torment or can you still have fun with it?

Okay, I'm not entirely sure about the fashionable, although I still picture gay Tories all gathering once a year at Brideshead to toast Sebastian.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote]You did? Really? Are you still gay?

yes. yes and yes.

[quote] Is it some big torment or can you still have fun with it?

have fun with what?

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2023 8:41 PM

Oh, good lord.

TFN, OP. We've heard this cant before and it didn't play to sensible people then.

Or now.

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2023 8:44 PM

Have fun having sex with guys, or is it some grim cross to bear and some "occasion of sin" to be avoided? Basically, are you okay being gay or is it some terrible problem to be solved or endured?

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2023 8:44 PM

oops, somebody slipped in. that was for r40.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2023 8:45 PM

You have a very bizarre idea of what becoming a Catholic entails. Really dark and horrid. I came/come to the religion on my own terms. I didn't throw my keys at the church.

If you think Jesus was anti-gay you've been indoctrinated. It's totally absurd.

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2023 8:51 PM

Nor was his Mom - for God's sake! (I'm sure you know us Catholics, unlike the protestants, are very into his Mom and pray to her often).

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2023 8:54 PM

Well, that's fine r44, if you are a happy gay Catholic. If that works for you, that is great. It is not entirely absurd however to wonder if converting to a religion that has preached for many, many centuries that homosexuality is a terrible sin might affect the life of a gay man. That is not a dark and horrid thought. That is historical reality. Nevertheless if you don't feel the slightest tension about that, well, good for you. And I mean that.

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2023 8:55 PM

Gotta laugh at Christian conservatives saying they support "common sense"

Dude, you morons believe in virgin birth.

You think drag queens are a threat to kids, but not the thousands upon thousands of clergy members who have actually molested kids.

Republicans chose a serial child molester to be Speaker of the House.

Fuck off with your "common sense" you brainwashed self-loathers

Oh, and you elected a vice president who thinks homosexuality can be cured through prayer

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2023 8:58 PM

Fuck off, right-wing assholes

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2023 9:00 PM

[quote]Nevertheless if you don't feel the slightest tension about that, well, good for you. And I mean that.

No. Not the slightest.

The church has never and will never wag its finger at me.

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2023 9:01 PM

Bjkk

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2023 9:02 PM

R47 have you one original thought in your head? You just spew that same old muck all over the place. Tuffgurl!

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2023 9:03 PM

Douglas Murray is lucky Christopher Hitchens is dead. Murray is a pale imitation with a generous sprinkling of right wing talking points to make it more palatable to the less intelligent on the right.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2023 9:50 PM

I like watching him. He’s hot, smart and has a sexy voice.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2023 1:33 PM

You think Hitchens wouldn't be calling out all this bullshit we have to put up with today from the far left?

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2023 1:33 PM

R54, I’m not sure exactly what Hitchens would find fault with and what he wouldn’t, he could be surprising in what drew his ire, but I am sure he would not be doing it in such an artless way as Murray. Murray isn’t anyone’s great rhetorician and generally I find his fans to be the same group who think portmanteau is witty and that anyone who’s managed to master received pronunciation is an intellectual.

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2023 1:50 PM

Not sure if he's got something to promote but Murray has been doing the rounds in the UK media. He's currently in Israel and made some good points about the Palestinian marches (how many times do you see people holding Nazi signs and think "just bad apples" before you stop going) but he's also described the dreadful Scottish First Minister Humza Yousaf as having "infiltrated our system".

Which is fine provided you think Rishi Sunak and Suella Braverman and David Lammy and Sajid Javid have also "infiltrated" Britain.

God knows there's plenty to judge Yousaf over, especially his Apprentice-sacked-in-week-3 levels of competence, charisma and charm, but talking like a conspiratorial racist does Murray no favours.

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2023 7:12 PM

[quote]a healthy democracy requires recognising the legitimacy of both sides

But both sides aren't legitimate. Right wing views are a cancer on humanity and a danger to all life on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2023 7:17 PM

Mary! @ R57

by Anonymousreply 58November 9, 2023 7:24 PM

He's over the top pro-Israel/ anti-Palestinian regarding the conflict. He must've scored some hot dick in Tel Aviv to be this much of a Zionist zealot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 9, 2023 7:40 PM

R55 I agree. Hitch and Sam Harris are the two giants in this field. Everyone else pales in comparison.

Hitch would attack ANY bad idea - from the right or left - with equal vigor. I would pay money to hear him eviscerate the world we live in now. I miss him so damn much.

Murray is just a boring, derivative right wing conservative. Not as bad as Shapiro, but in the ballpark.

by Anonymousreply 60November 9, 2023 7:48 PM

LOL a gobshite lawyer called Murray a Nazi apologist

He took legal action and she pretended to be affronted before backing down almost immediately.

[quote]I will be deleting all my tweets because I have a family to support. My father’s family was killed in Auschwitz. I am deeply disturbed and upset by what Murray has said about the SS. I am now deleting my tweets from yesterday.

[quote]@DouglasKMurray I responded as I did to your article, for the reasons I have explained. No one should diminish what happened in the Holocaust, nor the responsibility of those involved. I apologise for the language I used.

This is a woman who openly mocked the concerns of British Jews scared about the prospect of a Corbyn government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 11, 2023 11:30 AM

Hitch was a boozy old misogynist. Americans always mistake a British accent for intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 62November 13, 2023 4:14 PM

The way Dougie poses for photos is V amusing.

"How do my arms look?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2023 8:47 PM

His recipe for spotted dick is subpar.

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2023 8:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!