Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Facts of Life cast member most hated by fired first season cast-members.

I've often wondered how much hatred and envy was directed towards the remaining (and in one case, new) Facts of Life cast members by the first season cast members who didn't make the cut.

by Anonymousreply 216January 3, 2024 3:35 AM

Nancy McKeon probably. She was brought on after the others were fired.

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2023 5:36 PM

Has there ever been an E True Hollywood story about the show or interviews with the former cast? I'm sure it must've been devastating to those fired.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2023 5:40 PM

Lisa. Natalie was fat and Tootie was Black, so they had a legitimate reason to stay. But Lisa could have easily been dropped for another girl.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2023 5:40 PM

They were all cunts!

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2023 5:42 PM

I'm sure there must've been a lot of surprise in reaction to Mindy Cohn being kept on instead of some of the pretty girls.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2023 5:43 PM

Weren't both Dana Plato and Kim Richards on the pilot episode?

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2023 5:44 PM

[quote]Facts of Life cast member most hated by fired first season cast-members

Charlotte

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2023 5:45 PM

Lisa Whelchel was interchangeable with at least 2 of the other girls, one of whom went on to star in the hit comedy "Zapped" with Willie Aames and Scott Baio.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2023 5:46 PM

I wonder if Charlotte had any say on who stays and who goes?

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2023 5:47 PM

No, Lisa Whelchel wasn’t interchangeable. She was gorgeous and had that it factor charm. That would be like stating anyone could play Suzanne Sugarbaker while overlooking Delta Burke’s talents.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2023 5:51 PM

Charlotte Rae pretty much discovered Mindy Cohn. Mindy owes everything to her.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2023 5:53 PM

R2, there's a behind the scenes doc on Tubi.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2023 5:54 PM

R10 MARY!

But, I agree with you. What I meant to say was theoretically it didn’t HAVE to be Lisa, as a few other girls also fit the build of the pretty one. But, it HAD to be her because she was the best. Thats why the other girls should hate her, because she was selected.

Although I recall S1 did have a tomboy character, so I can see her hating Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2023 5:56 PM

R9: Charlotte was asked about that in one of those Truth Behind The Sitcom Scandals/E! True Hollywood Stories type shows. She said she was not consulted, nor would she *want* to be consulted, because she was fond of all the girls.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2023 5:58 PM

Molly Ringwald was probably envied when she became a superstar in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2023 5:59 PM

Yes there was r2. One of the directors was asked about Mindy Cohn’s post Facts of Life career and he said, “she didn’t want to be the funny fat girl anymore.” I am sure Mindy loved that.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2023 6:00 PM

For R2:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2023 6:03 PM

R15 Thats the correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2023 6:03 PM

Another:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2023 6:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2023 6:04 PM

Molly Ringwald was the only Facts of Life cast member to bare her breasts.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2023 6:05 PM

R21, lies upon lies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2023 6:07 PM

R11 The story of how Rae discovered Natalie is at the 5 minute mark of the video posted on R17.

It is very sweet. I have to wonder it part of it is that Charlotte saw herself in that fat little Jewish girl with the strange voice.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2023 6:08 PM

I hated ALL those cunts!

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2023 6:09 PM

R22 Gross.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2023 6:10 PM

Not only did Jenny O'Hara go on to star in "My Sister Sam" but she was phenomenal in the movie "Devil."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2023 6:11 PM

There was this ridiculous episode of Wonder Woman in which Julie Ann Haddock guest starred

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2023 6:13 PM

The video at R17 at the 14 minute mark pretty much confirms what I said at R3. Five of the girl’s personalities didn’t seem different enough, and that included Blair. Lisa made the cut over the other 4, so I think it is safe to say she is the one they would all be jealous of.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2023 6:21 PM

Lisa got fat!

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2023 6:24 PM

Considering the fact that Julie Piekarski worked with Lisa years before on the new Mickey Mouse Club she probably despised Lisa the most. I've noticed how Julie would try to upstage Lisa in a lot of scenes on FOL. Lisa was a natural, and Julie just didn't have it.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2023 6:25 PM

I was actually shocked that Kim Fields got cast in the first place. She was, and always has been, a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2023 6:27 PM

Everyone always hates the pretty, popular one.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2023 6:29 PM

Molly said on WWHL that Mindy was kind of a bitch, so I voted for her.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2023 6:37 PM

I don't believe that for a moment. A- Molly is the cunt of all cunts and has a lifetime membership in the Society of Cuntitude. B- This was Mindy's first job and she was plucked out of obscurity, had no idea what she was doing, was way less attractive than all the other girls and probably terrified as shit. She was likely the nicest and most cooperative of all the girls that first season.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2023 7:06 PM

[quote] I was actually shocked that Kim Fields got cast in the first place. She was, and always has been, a terrible actress.

Kim definitely memorized her lines, but she always said her lines in the exact same, earnest way.

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2023 7:12 PM

I think of all the "pretty girls" Blair was the only character with any sort of personality that made her stand out - the pretty, snobby rich girl.

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2023 7:14 PM

R34 I also call bullshit. Mindy is still friends with all of the other women, and even still talks to Nancy on the phone regularly. She is best friends with Angelia Jolie who would never be friends with someone in such a different fame class unless she had a good heart.

Molly is just upset because she fucked up her first foray into acting, then hit the jack pot before squandering it all by passing up good role after good role.

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2023 7:38 PM

Kim Fields was 9 when she got cast on the show and was a very cute kid. She was still pretty cute at the end of season one, so I'm pretty sure her place on the show was safe (she was a child actor, so of course, her acting was of the worst 'child acting' variety, i.e. shouting her lines and indicating emotion). Cohn was pretty good at delivering a funny line (she certainly thought so given how often she made herself break in scenes), and she and Tootie had already been paired off in the first season so they made a good match.

That clip of Julie Ann Haddock on Wonder Woman was interesting as going into the show's run, she might have had the best CV, having appeared with Robert DuVall and Blythe (Don't blame me, blame her father!') Danner in The Great Santini. Haddock and Ringwald were the other two 'younger' girls along with Fields and Cohn, and so they were edged out. That left Schactner, Piekarski and Whelchel. Whelchel was HOT in the first season and Blair was much more a 'bad girl' then, and so if you watch those episodes from season one, why she was chosen over the pretty, but dull, Schactner and the 'Karen in training' Piekarski.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2023 7:50 PM

I'm now wondering how little OP has to do that he has the time to often wonder about this.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2023 7:55 PM

R39 Its DL. We have mused about worse.

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2023 8:04 PM

R6: FOL's pilot was an episode of Diff'rent Strokes (a "backdoor" pilot) titled The Girls' School -- about Kimberly's prep school. So, yes, Dana Plato was in it. Kim Richards was not in it, but she appeared in a couple other Diff'rent Strokes episode as Kimberly's friend, Ruthie.

However, I'm pretty sure that's Laurie Hendler -- the middle daughter on Gimme A Break -- in the background (big-ass glasses).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2023 9:50 PM

Kim Richards played Ruthie, Larry’s daughter from Hello Larry. Larry and Mr. Drummond were army buddies.

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2023 10:48 PM

The Facts of Life had one of the best revamps from first to second season along with A Different World. The changes they made were for the better.

I don't like the first season of The Facts of Life because I find the other girls extraneous. Even Molly Ringwald, who I loved in the John Hughes movies, is annoying.

They cut the right girls.

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2023 12:50 AM

George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2023 12:53 AM

Remember the episode where Blair sees Mr. Bradley shirtless in the stables and develops a crush on him (i.e. yanks her clit for the final time ever to a man)?

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2023 1:47 AM

Flash flood underneath my knickers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2023 2:10 AM

R43 Mamas Family as well, but that is 2nd to 3rd season.

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2023 2:29 AM

Melrose Place too, when they got rid of Amy Locane and that other one.

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2023 2:31 AM

I completely agree R43. As for George Clooney, Patrick Cassidy, Pam Adlon, Mac Astin, etc....Kim Fields made a good point in one of those Cast Confessions/Behind the Sitcom Scandals interviews. The producers got rid of all those first-season girls (and Lawlor & O'Hara) because there were just "too many characters" (love Mindy's comment: "It was like Carnivale!"). But then, they turned around & started adding others in the later seasons.....

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2023 2:33 AM

Blllllllaaaaaiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 17, 2023 2:39 AM

Kim was cute, but her acting wasn't!

by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2023 2:42 AM

Some of the girls were bitter as hell they weren’t chosen, I think the actress who played SueAnne in particular. It was surprising because she wasn't selected because she seemed like a co-lead with LW. Getting canned was actually the best thing that ever happened to Molly Ringwald.

I actually preferred the first season. It was sort of cozy, if that makes. I found Jo abrasive and never liked her character that much.

by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2023 2:50 AM

Cerebral Palsey would be a good cover for a raging alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2023 2:51 AM

Rewatching it now, Lisa seems to shine as the most talented actress. Nancy McKeon is fine but isn’t very subtle. Mindy got better. Kim just stayed Kim.

Julie was an entertainment reporter in St. Louis for a hot second.

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2023 2:51 AM

To anyone reading this thread who hasn't already watched this -- you're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2023 2:52 AM

Kim was a terrible dramatic actress when it called for Tootie to "emote" (see: Jermaine Jackson, temporary deafness, etc). But she really was a good comedic actress for her age. As Eve Brandstein (casting director) said, she just knew how to deliver a line for laugh. I think particularly of the scene, in The New Girl, when Tootie started in on Blair about first-person pronouns in the police station. "I" vs. "We". That shit was funny!

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2023 3:28 AM

The temporary deafness plot is probably the worst very special episode of any show ever. Who the hell in the writing room thought “Tootie goes deaf” was a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 57May 17, 2023 3:44 AM

Lisa was great as Blair. They were all kind of one-note, though. I'd say Lisa was the best in her role, then Mindy, then Jo, then Kim Fields.

Kim Richards seems like she's not even a contemporary of the FOL girls. Kim R. seems older than them.

by Anonymousreply 58May 17, 2023 3:51 AM

Didn't some of the girls come back for guest appearances later in the show? That must have been awkward.

by Anonymousreply 59May 17, 2023 3:58 AM

Everyone but Molly, who was filming The Pick Up Artist.

by Anonymousreply 60May 17, 2023 4:01 AM

Felice Schacter is the most bitter. She lost out to Dana Plato as Kimberly on Diff'rent Strokes, then was promised a meaty role on The Facts of Life as compensation, but ended up being the least interesting character and was the first one fired.

by Anonymousreply 61May 17, 2023 4:02 AM

R2 There was this, which was halfway there but still decent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 17, 2023 4:03 AM

Who picked Tootie? She was the breakout of the first season and even had her own catch phrase.

by Anonymousreply 63May 17, 2023 4:04 AM

I was 11 or 12 when the pilot aired and I was scandalized that they went there with the dyke accusations..

by Anonymousreply 64May 17, 2023 4:08 AM

R63 I can’t remember…was it “whatcha talking bout Willis,” “ooooh I’m gonna tell mama,” or “dyn o mite?”

by Anonymousreply 65May 17, 2023 4:24 AM

Mindy has said that the “Lost Girls” from S1 handled the retooling of the show graciously and there was no awkwardness or bad blood when Felice, Julie, and Julie-Anne did their guest spots after being let go as series regulars.

Felice and Mindy actually shared the same manager (Felice’s mom) and Mindy is still in touch with Felice’s former child actress sister, Simone, who was in Little Darlings. Simone married David Levinson and is now an ultra wealthy NYC society matron.

by Anonymousreply 66May 17, 2023 4:47 AM

Lisa was kept because she had the best hair. I'd bet money on that.

by Anonymousreply 67May 17, 2023 4:54 AM

R65: It was "You are in troubbbbbbble!"....(very drawn out)

I've heard a couple female sports broadcasters use that phrase/mimick her (Malika Andrews or Monica McNutt?) while talking about NBA teams on the verge of elimination.

by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2023 5:02 AM

Julie Anne was the last one fired, a bit later than the others. Them bringing in Nancy McKeon probably sealed the deal since her character was similar to Jo, but Nancy stood out more. Blair and Jo's lesbian-like chemistry made Cindy seems like a total asexual tomboy in comparison.

They were right cutting down the cast though and were spot on with their choices.

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2023 5:03 AM

R66 Simone was also on that Aim commercial with Meg Ryan that was shown in another thread.

Is she a Trumper like her bitter “I graduated from an Ivy League school “ sister? Is the mom still alive?

by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2023 5:16 AM

Also, I should say, I have met Simone Levinson without every realizing (until pointed above) that was the former Simone Schacter, because they absolutely look like two different people.

by Anonymousreply 71May 17, 2023 5:19 AM

Oh, they absolutely had to keep Lisa. They had to introduce Jo and Blair was the perfect foil to Jo. And I doubt if they hadn't cut all the first season girls and added Jo that it would've lasted for nine seasons.

by Anonymousreply 72May 17, 2023 5:35 AM

R72 they got that whole idea from Little Darlings, which came out in theatres during the first season.

I always found Whelchel to be the better actress of the two, btw - whatever was McKeon’s “technique” was incredibly hokey.

by Anonymousreply 73May 17, 2023 6:07 AM

It was smart to focus on just four girl characters. Think about all of the TV shows with multiple kids (except Brady Bunch): Partridge Family, even Family Ties. At least a couple of kids end up not very developed, character-wise.

by Anonymousreply 74May 17, 2023 6:28 AM

I think Simone Levinson looks a lot like she did as a kid, just grown up and past the awkward stage that a lot of kids go through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 17, 2023 9:09 AM

The wrong four, r74! What could have been…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 17, 2023 1:24 PM

[quote] It was smart to focus on just four girl characters. Think about all of the TV shows with multiple kids (except Brady Bunch): Partridge Family, even Family Ties.

Huh? Family Ties had 3 kids, just like Diff'rent Strokes, just like Gimme A Break!, just like Growing Pains, just like The Hogan Family, just like Charles in Charge, just like Blossom. 3 was the magic number for sitcom kids. Not sure why you're grouping it with The Brady Bunch and Partridge Family.

by Anonymousreply 77May 17, 2023 2:10 PM

Is Lis Whelchel a cousin to Lens Dunham?

by Anonymousreply 78May 17, 2023 2:16 PM

R77, not that poster, but technically they added a 4th kid to both Growing Pains and Family Ties. I don’t see it as excessive either, but adding kids is always a bust.

by Anonymousreply 79May 17, 2023 2:29 PM

[quote] Huh? Family Ties had 3 kids

I was thinking about the Tina Yothers character.

by Anonymousreply 80May 17, 2023 2:50 PM

I know people who worked on the show and everyone was very sweet except for Mindy who was an outright cunt. Lisa, despite her conservatism, was super nice to everyone. Kim and Nancy were already pros and weren't a bit of trouble. Maybe because Mindy was the least experienced is why she was so nasty to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 81May 17, 2023 2:56 PM

[quote] Cerebral Palsey would be a good cover for a raging alcoholic.

In the episode where Tootie spreads rumors of Mrs. Garrett being a drunk I always thought Mrs. G walking in with a shirt that read "I'm not drunk. I have cerebral palsey" would've been the greatest punchline.

by Anonymousreply 82May 17, 2023 3:04 PM

I can totally believe Mindy is a bitch. She gives off those vibes. I always wondered if the stories of her being Angelina and Brad’s kids godmother were true. I have never seen them together or even heard of speaking of each other. It is totally bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 83May 17, 2023 3:07 PM

I could watch the actor playing Mrs Garrett in r55’s spoof all day! Hilarious! The actresses playing Jo and Natalie were funny too. Was that Kate MCKinnon as Blair? She was surprisingly weak and nothing like Lisa Whelchel.

by Anonymousreply 84May 17, 2023 3:08 PM

R70 I don't know about Felice, but Julie Piekarski is a Trumpster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 17, 2023 3:10 PM

It must have been awkward having the lost girls return in S2. Mindy’s constant smiling probably made it seem like she was mocking them or something.

by Anonymousreply 86May 17, 2023 3:12 PM

R85 oh she’s friends with FB friends of mine. She is. And is a total cunt about it. I think the fact that she knows she doesn’t fit the typical Trumper mold (ie white trash) gives her a haughty superiority about it that makes her even more insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 87May 17, 2023 3:15 PM

Molly really was the weakest of the girls in S1.

I do wish they kept Mr. Bradley who I thought was kind of hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 17, 2023 3:17 PM

Has Mindy ever had a significant other?

by Anonymousreply 89May 17, 2023 3:17 PM

R87 She does actually fit the mold. She looks like a total Fox News cunt. I thought that the first time I saw a recent photo of her.

by Anonymousreply 90May 17, 2023 3:21 PM

[quote] I do wish they kept Mr. Bradley who I thought was kind of hot.

That would've been too creepy with him lurking around as headmaster while those girls are going through puberty.

by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2023 3:23 PM

R30, I somehow misremembered Molly Ringwald as being part of the New Mickey Mouse Club of 1977. Maybe my mistook her for Allison Forte.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 17, 2023 3:23 PM

Felice lives in NYC where voting status is public record. She's not registered as either Dem or Rep, but rather other. I'd guess she just votes for both parties.

by Anonymousreply 93May 17, 2023 3:24 PM

R92 Molly was in the Broadway musical Annie. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

by Anonymousreply 94May 17, 2023 3:31 PM

Out of all the first season girls I've always hated Julie P most. Her smugness along with those big buck teeth and gummy smile.

by Anonymousreply 95May 17, 2023 3:36 PM

R21 Wasn't Charlotte Rae topless in the movie Hair? I vaguely remember a scene with her swinging drunk from chandeliers with her tits out.

by Anonymousreply 96May 17, 2023 3:43 PM

It's a shame that Nancy's brother Phillip has died. The would've been great sharing a role as a pre- and post-op character in a movie about a trans person.

by Anonymousreply 97May 17, 2023 3:47 PM

R84 That is Paul Vogt. Ms. Garret is one of his signature characters, and he also played her on that short lived TV show where they reacted famous TV shows, and I think he played her on MadTV as well.

I think he is one of the underrated MadTV actors, the funniest one on the later seasons, and is always hilarious when playing a woman.

by Anonymousreply 98May 17, 2023 4:01 PM

[quote] Charlotte Rae pretty much discovered Mindy Cohn.

She was wise. She knew Mindy could deliver the heavy emotion. No one will ever forget how real she made it seem after she was attacked by the serial rapist and recounted it right after, saying, "Mrs. Garrett, I was almost home." She was robbed of the Emmy that year.

by Anonymousreply 99May 17, 2023 4:23 PM

I'm surprised Mindy's so unpleasant.

I can believe she's friends with Angelina Jolie. AJ is probably friends with women who aren't competition, looks-wise, for her.

by Anonymousreply 100May 17, 2023 4:37 PM

Mindy is great. She's pleasant but she's not a pushover, and doesn't take shit from people.

by Anonymousreply 101May 17, 2023 4:38 PM

I think that’s true r100. Ang is also close with Jillian Armenante.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 17, 2023 4:40 PM

Mindy is somehow friends with a lot of wealthy gays, per her Instagram . Do they pay her way in exchange for gossip about Lisa Whelchel, or is she a filthy rich bitch?

by Anonymousreply 103May 17, 2023 4:41 PM

The subject of Pitt-Jolie was off limits that night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 17, 2023 4:49 PM

R104 Mindy looks awful in bangs.

by Anonymousreply 105May 17, 2023 4:56 PM

[quote] AJ is probably friends with women who aren't competition, looks-wise, for her.

She's setting the bar pretty low with Mindy.

by Anonymousreply 106May 17, 2023 6:39 PM

Molly hated Mindy the most (based on WWHL interview).

Julie Ann hated Nancy the most (tomboy replaced by butch)

Felice hated Lisa the most (pretty vs pretty)

Julie P hated Kim the most (future Trump supporter - need we say more)

by Anonymousreply 107May 17, 2023 7:04 PM

When you think about it, they did keep the most talented cast members from the first season. Julie Piekarski was particularly bad. Even Molly Ringwald was lackluster, though I will admit they didn't give her much to do at all. And Nancy McKeon was probably more talented than the lot of them.

I will say Tootie was def on the bubble. Could've gone either way with her.

by Anonymousreply 108May 17, 2023 7:15 PM

They chose whom they chose due to potential storytelling and character development.

The new producers were going for more realism and message based episodes. They already knew they were bringing in a poor girl on scholarship so what better source of conflict than to pair her against the one character who came from obscene wealth.

Then Tootie had potential for ethnic based stories and Natalie for "real" girl realness.

Felice is a vile Trumper just like Julie P.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2023 8:29 PM

Charlotte Rae.

by Anonymousreply 110May 17, 2023 8:40 PM

I still don't buy the stories that Mindy was a cunt the first season of FOL. There's just no way. Tell me she's a massive cooze now, or 3 years into the run or any time in between, I'll consider it could be true, but as explained upthread, there is no way she would have been a rude asshole in the position she was in. No experience, not good looking, first role, up against all working child actresses/stars, recommended by the star of the series, who would have looked really bad if her protege was causing trouble... it just doesn't track.

by Anonymousreply 111May 17, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote] Molly hated Mindy the most (based on WWHL interview).

What is WWHL?

by Anonymousreply 112May 17, 2023 9:05 PM

Kim Fields should have been fired and replaced by a black girl who could act and didn't have an annoying speech impediment.

by Anonymousreply 113May 17, 2023 9:13 PM

I hope you're not accusing DL posters of making up stories, R111!

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2023 9:14 PM

Mindy posts here, you know.

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2023 10:04 PM

I think Molly Ringwald sang as a featured guest on The New Mickey Mouse Club during Showtime Day (Friday episodes, which were shot at Disneyland). So, yeah, she appeared on the show, but she was not an actual Mouseketeer.

by Anonymousreply 116May 17, 2023 10:52 PM

Mindy was like 12 or 13 or maybe even younger when she started and had no previous experience. I don’t buy for she a minute she was a mean girl during S1. Smacks of antisemitism if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 117May 18, 2023 12:54 AM

R111: I think it's total bullshit as well, because I knew Mindy when she attended Westlake.

I wouldn't pretend to know her well -- I was a couple years behind her (and she wasn't around much until Feb/March) -- but I knew her. One of my best friends had an older sister who was very close to Mindy. She was totally cool when she was Westlake. There was no bitch in Mindy... at least not as teenager. She did not act like she was hot-shit, or a "star" (which plenty of other girls did just because their parents were famous). She just went to class, attended her friends' sporting events, and behaved like anyone else.

Mindy Cohn is genuinely NICE PERSON. Fuck anyone who says otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 118May 18, 2023 1:08 AM

Yep that’s her. Total cunt (AND, even worse, thinks she’s “smart” because she went to Brown).

by Anonymousreply 119May 18, 2023 1:31 AM

R33 / R107 Do you have a link to that Molly WWHL full episode? I'd love to hear that - searched but can't find it.

by Anonymousreply 120May 18, 2023 1:39 AM

[quote] I don’t buy for she a minute she was a mean girl during S1.

Cunt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 18, 2023 1:39 AM

R121 like Molly Ringwald was such a nice well adjusted person.

Who slept with both John Hughes AND Warren Beatty when she was well under age.

Now that she’s no longer a bigger star than those girls she’s bitter.

by Anonymousreply 122May 18, 2023 2:03 AM

I love Mindy - she seems like a really cool person

by Anonymousreply 123May 18, 2023 2:05 AM

Wait, what R122?

by Anonymousreply 124May 18, 2023 2:51 AM

My dream lineup would be Blair, Sue Anne, Cindy and Natalie.

by Anonymousreply 125May 18, 2023 3:18 AM

Also worth pointing out, re: Molly & Mindy: The first season of FOL was just 13 episodes. They spent maybe three months together??? Mindy wasn't in the backdoor pilot episode of Diff'rent Strokes I'll bet that's what irked Molly about Mindy. That Mindy just came outta nowhere, with no experience, and she was retained.

by Anonymousreply 126May 18, 2023 3:35 AM

R118, how nice of you to join us Mindy. Tell us, why did the crew nickname you "BB" for "Big Bitch"?

by Anonymousreply 127May 18, 2023 3:41 AM

Fuck off, R127. I'm not Mindy, but you knew that. You've posted four times on Datalounge?? Well, four times under whatever account you're currently posting under.....

by Anonymousreply 128May 18, 2023 3:59 AM

But I am curious....why are you taking shots at Mindy?

by Anonymousreply 129May 18, 2023 4:10 AM

Molly wasn't exactly being cruel about Mindy in that WWHL interview...both of them would've been low on the totem pole and it is possible that Mindy with her low status tried to pull rank on Molly with her low status. It happens all the time with teenage girls at the bottom of the pecking order...

by Anonymousreply 130May 18, 2023 4:57 AM

R128, how would I know you aren't BB, especially after you know so much about the production? And after all, who else on DL would defend that fat cunt but Mindy herself?

by Anonymousreply 131May 18, 2023 5:30 AM

R115 She HAS posted here but I don’t think she is a regular, especially since DL has been taken over by trolls.

by Anonymousreply 132May 18, 2023 6:07 AM

I mean, I could see Mindy having a slight bully phase. I recall in grade school, there was a type of girl with a certain heft who could be a bully.

by Anonymousreply 133May 18, 2023 6:56 AM

Poor Mindy. We called her character Fat-alie. We were 10.

A great thrill was meeting someone at college who could do a spot-on Cousin Jeri impression. I knew we’d be friends.

by Anonymousreply 134May 18, 2023 11:42 AM

Remember that very special episode where Blair caught Cousin Geri going down on Jo?

People thought her anger towards Geri was discovering she was a lesbian and being revolted seeing all that drool and quim on her face.

But actually she was JEALOUS!

Mrs. Garrett set her right. "Look Blay-uh, a woman's sugar walls are to be enjoyed by all. Feeling a bit peckish? Ehh???"

by Anonymousreply 135May 18, 2023 11:48 AM

R115 There has been no concrete proof of Mindy Cohn ever posting here. For all we know I could be Molly Ringwald.

by Anonymousreply 136May 18, 2023 1:41 PM

Really, R135? You poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 137May 18, 2023 7:34 PM

I ended up going down a Facts of Life rabbithole last night because of you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 138May 18, 2023 8:50 PM

The above post at R138 might be, officially, THE most DL post I've ever posted

by Anonymousreply 139May 18, 2023 9:46 PM

It’s kind of hard to watch now. The only interesting parts are the lesbian subtexts with Blair and Jo.

by Anonymousreply 140May 18, 2023 11:45 PM

Rewatching from the beginning on Tubi.

2 episodes in...

*Both episodes have been Blair-centric

*Tootie & Natalie are paired up in Ep 2 and really driving the comedy

It's no wonder these 3 were chosen.

Cindy is dull, Molly is annoying, Sue Ann is awkward and Nancy is a total non-entity.

by Anonymousreply 141May 19, 2023 12:54 AM

Am I the only one who things Molly Parker is a little cutie? I love her crazy adorable, eccentric little outfits

by Anonymousreply 142May 19, 2023 12:58 AM

Ep 3

Blair, Tootie & Natalie are getting the majority of lines ...and laughs

by Anonymousreply 143May 19, 2023 1:09 AM

Tootie's delivery is excruciatingly on the nose, but it's perfection

by Anonymousreply 144May 19, 2023 1:14 AM

So Sue Ann, Molly, Nancy, Tootie and Natalie are sitting on the couch discussing Mr. Garrett's return.

Sue Ann, Molly & Nancy are just saying exposition while Tootie & Natalie get all the jokes.

It is really interesting to watch this show from the beginning and see how it metamorphisized into what it became.

by Anonymousreply 145May 19, 2023 1:14 AM

Are you in it to win it, R145?

by Anonymousreply 146May 19, 2023 1:20 AM

R146 you tried

by Anonymousreply 147May 19, 2023 1:24 AM

Now Ep 4 is where it gets interesting...

It is obviously written as a Nancy-Sue Ann centric episode about IQ levels but all the 2 girls are doing is whining.

The jokes (again) are being divided between Blair, Tootie & Natalie.

There is a scene where it is just SA and Nancy bickering back and forth and it is just lame and filled with moments of dead air. Then Blair waltzes in are delivers some jokes and it picks right back up.

Best jokes...

Blair says she knows she can't be the smartest because she has looks, money and everything else going for her. Then Tootie chimes in, "You're right...it's NOT you."

Then Tootie reveals to Natalie they have the same IQ level and Natalie goes "I always knew we were soul sisters!"

by Anonymousreply 148May 19, 2023 1:49 AM

I remember that entire scene vividly!!! Whoa.

by Anonymousreply 149May 19, 2023 1:53 AM

Ep 6 and the tally is:

Ep 1: Blair episode

Ep 2: Blair episode

Ep 3: Tootie episode

Ep 4: Sue Ann-Nancy episode

Ep 5: Tootie episode

Ep 6: Blair episode

by Anonymousreply 150May 19, 2023 2:20 AM

Is Blair the overwhelming star player of the show from the outset?

by Anonymousreply 151May 19, 2023 2:30 AM

It would appear Blair followed closely by Tootie.

I'm on the Emily Dickinson one. Tootie is blackmailing Blair into being her "white maid."

by Anonymousreply 152May 19, 2023 2:37 AM

Just checked out the remaining episodes on IMDB

Ep 7: Blair-Sue Ann episode

Ep 8: Blair episode

Ep 9: Blair-Tootie episode

Ep 10: Blair-Natalie episode

Ep 11: Sue Ann-Cindy episode

Ep 12: Molly episode

Ep 13: Blair-Sue Ann episode

I'm shocked how the other girls didn't know their days were numbered!

by Anonymousreply 153May 19, 2023 2:45 AM

I kind of wish I was with you binging Facts of Life right now, R153. Are you snacking? Lights on, or just the glow of the screen? Chair, sofa or bed? Bring me into your world.

by Anonymousreply 154May 19, 2023 2:46 AM

LOL, R154.

No snacking. Sipping a Diet Coke (caffeine free), glow of the TV and desktop screens, office chair at desk.

I'm just marveling how 98% of the time the other 4 girls are literally just on screen to set up one-liners and jokes for Blair, Tootie & Natalie and the adults. These characters serve no purpose other than to service the other three.

I haven't watched season 1 in probably 30+ years (when I was a kid) so it is fascinating re-watching this.

by Anonymousreply 155May 19, 2023 2:52 AM

Yes I went down the rabbit hole a bit last night and I intend to watch more soon. I haven't rewatched FoL since I was a kid, either. But it's all so vivid, man. One thing I will say in defense of the extra girls, is that, it wouldn't make sense for a school to only have four girls in it.

by Anonymousreply 156May 19, 2023 2:59 AM

See, this is what I'm talking about. Molly's parents are divorcing so eventhough it centers around her, they literally 86'ed Nancy & Cindy for Spring Break to have Molly surrounded by Blair, Tootie & Natalie as comic relief. Sue Ann is still there too but she is constantly positioned away from the other 3 and only serves to act as the "Jo" to Blair.

by Anonymousreply 157May 19, 2023 3:02 AM

Yes and Blair really steals the show when she has her one on one with Molly. Oof. I watched that one last night. Choked me up I must admit.

by Anonymousreply 158May 19, 2023 3:03 AM

I'm just curious how much of this is just organic or producer/director manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 159May 19, 2023 3:03 AM

Sue-Ann and Cindy Lou and whoever else, they are the set-up girls, and there's the punch line girls: Blair, Tootie and Natalie. It's pretty straightforward. Why they pruned all the set-up girls is a question mark to me. But hey, it worked for them. Then they brought on Jo as a wild card after that, and it gelled.

by Anonymousreply 160May 19, 2023 3:11 AM

And somehow an episode centering on Sue Ann's crash dieting becomes all about Blair and Natalie.

by Anonymousreply 161May 19, 2023 3:34 AM

I watched the video at R121. Sounds like Jon Cryer thought that Molly and Andrew McCarthy were "mean girls" during the filming of Pretty in Pink. Molly says they (she & McCarthy) were just trying to help Cryer get angry, get into character. What a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 162May 19, 2023 3:36 AM

I learned from the best.

by Anonymousreply 163May 19, 2023 4:36 AM

Blair was gorgeous on season 1 (I often forget that) but she really wasn’t all that past the first few episodes of season 2 (I mean , of course/she always always all American cute/pretty, but not a knock out. The weight of course and the cheap dye jobs didn’t help). Always loved her though and she was a stand out always.

by Anonymousreply 164May 19, 2023 4:42 AM

R160 Actually, they didn’t use focus groups. Instead they brought in two female TV producers to help salvage the shows. Their main areas of advice were 1. Get Tootie off the skates, 2. Stop having the girls dress in such skimpy outfits and 3. Cut the cast. The two women thought that a lot of the girls were blending together and suggested that the roles that were similar to Blair get cut.

by Anonymousreply 165May 19, 2023 7:42 AM

[quote] Instead they brought in two female TV producers to help salvage the shows

From One Day at a Time, no less (I think it taped next door).

Were they a lesbian couple? I definitely got that vibe.

by Anonymousreply 166May 19, 2023 9:21 AM

I seem to recall Helen Hunt being on an episode or 2 during the first season.

by Anonymousreply 167May 19, 2023 1:25 PM

I still wanna know why the other three girls were separated from Lisa Whelchel at last year’s Norman Lear birthday celebration and didn’t even stop to say ‘hi’. WTF, girls?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 19, 2023 1:37 PM

Posted on another FOL thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169May 19, 2023 1:43 PM

Mindy Cohn posted here once about 14 years ago and ever since then we've had people who constantly post shit about her when the topic comes up, thinking she's still reading the board and it'll upset her.

by Anonymousreply 170May 19, 2023 1:44 PM

What proof is there that was actually Mindy?

by Anonymousreply 171May 19, 2023 1:53 PM

R169 This is the million dollar question right here.

by Anonymousreply 172May 19, 2023 2:16 PM

Mindy is good friends with Josh Kilmer-Purcell, who was a very prolific poster here in the early aughts.

by Anonymousreply 173May 19, 2023 4:02 PM

R173 and?

by Anonymousreply 174May 19, 2023 6:42 PM

That cunt Josh introduced her to DL r174

by Anonymousreply 175May 19, 2023 8:13 PM

There was a similar show in 1981 called The Dorothy Loudon Show. Same premise. The way Louden mugs *mightve* been too much for TV.

There was a tough tomboy character named Frankie played by Linda Mantz. I've long suspected she may have inspired the producers of FOL to bring in Jo. Two tomboys with Brooklyn accents and male first names.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176May 19, 2023 8:40 PM

Natalie. She was too fat for television.

by Anonymousreply 177May 19, 2023 8:42 PM

Actually the show was called Dorothy, and it was 1979, so the timeliness fits.

by Anonymousreply 178May 19, 2023 8:44 PM

*Timeline

Damn it! I HATE that spellcheck on my phone changes shit without telling me!

by Anonymousreply 179May 19, 2023 9:17 PM

I would have expected the Loudon project would have been the one people would be banking on to succeed as Loudon was as famous as she was ever going to get with Annie and Linda Manz was just off Days of Heaven...Two holdovers from the New Mickey Mouse Club, the runner up for Dana Plato's part on Diffrent Strokes along with Julie Ann 'Blythe Danner played my mother but I'm nothing like Gwyneth' Haddock doesn't seem nearly as promising.

by Anonymousreply 180May 19, 2023 11:15 PM

Actually, R164, Blair was gorgeous in the final few seasons as well. Lisa Welchel still looks terrific. The only time she wasnt the best was the few seasons she was chunky (but even then she was prettty) but the clothes they put her in werent things I thought worked for someone from her obscene wealth. But, she also had the right attitude about the producers sending her to a fat camp- she said she was hired to look a certain way and that's what she had to give them.

by Anonymousreply 181May 19, 2023 11:26 PM

[quote] Think about all of the TV shows with multiple kids (except Brady Bunch): Partridge Family, even Family Ties. At least a couple of kids end up not very developed, character-wise.

I'll thay!

by Anonymousreply 182May 19, 2023 11:45 PM

In that Heard Hearted Hannah clip, Loudon looks uncomfortably like Bonnie Franklin's........sister?

by Anonymousreply 183May 20, 2023 1:13 AM

Lisa Welchel as Blair was an absolute perfection confection. Looking at these episodes now, she looks like an angel. And her personality was so big. Wow, she really was a stand-out. Great casting! I certainly wasn't thinking about all of this when I was eight years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184May 20, 2023 2:35 AM

After season 1, most of the fired girls appear in three more episodes over seasons 2 & 3. Except Molly, who only appears once in season 2, episode 2. Feliz Schacter appears in 5 episodes.

Then they call (save for Molly) come back for a Season 8 episode titled The Little Chill. It's retconned so they none of the 3 girls knows Jo, even though they'd shared several scenes together in seasons 2 and 3.

by Anonymousreply 185May 20, 2023 3:25 AM

R181 I actually think Blair’s season 1 outfits were most on point for her character, especially circa 1980. I really don’t know what those two lesbians problem with the clothes were (kiddie porn? Really?)

by Anonymousreply 186May 20, 2023 5:17 AM

Blair was the Suzanne Sugarbaker, Blanche Devereaux and Samantha Jones of her day.

by Anonymousreply 187May 20, 2023 5:25 AM

[quote] Blair was the Suzanne Sugarbaker, Blanche Devereaux and Samantha Jones

Essentially, Blair was a vapid, Cluster B whore.

by Anonymousreply 188May 20, 2023 5:31 AM

R187 Blair was most like Suzanne Sugarbaker, in that she was vain, egotistical but just like Suzanne wasn’t a slut. Both Suzanne and Blair (well in Blair’s case it was hypothetical as Lisa wouldn’t allow the character to have sex) saw sex as more of a means to an end of getting a rich husband.

Thats why I like Blair. She is pretty and vain but she does it for herself alone. Too often the pretty blond characters are bimbos or boy crazy, bht not Blair.

by Anonymousreply 189May 20, 2023 7:10 AM

Regarding Blair: We are let in on a little secret early on in Season One, during Molly's episode about her dad's new girlfriend, that Blair is a poor little rich girl who has every material advantage but is starved for love. She tells Molly that she could only dream of having a father that cared about her feelings, or who would reach out and give her a hug.

Blair is a wonderful person with a good head on her shoulders and a big heart. Blair's preening, posing and self-admiration is an attempt to give herself the attention, validation and cheerleading that her parents never gave or will ever give. Which is a very self-loving instinct.

The fact that she delights in her appearance for the pure self-satisfaction of it, and just not in joyless service of the male gaze, is even more impressive.

I think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 190May 20, 2023 2:46 PM

Great analysis of Blair. Certainly more thought put into it than probably anyone in the writers room!

by Anonymousreply 191May 20, 2023 5:27 PM

I seem to recall Blair being a homophobe in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 192May 20, 2023 8:05 PM

Blair was only prejudice against ugly people.

by Anonymousreply 193May 20, 2023 8:29 PM

Blair was bullying the tomboy in the first season for liking sports and hugging other girls. She then accused her of being a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 194May 20, 2023 11:27 PM

Blair was a cunt. Even Kimberly Drummond pointed that out in the pilot episode.

by Anonymousreply 195May 20, 2023 11:38 PM

Girls, GIRLS!!

Blair was a victim of her upbringing. She quickly outgrew those prejudices and became an ally.

by Anonymousreply 196May 20, 2023 11:39 PM

Watching the first episode. Wow Molly Ringwald is awful. Blair’s homophobia turns to lesbionic flirting when Jo arrives, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 197May 21, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote] Feliz Schacter appears in 5 episodes.

WHO?!

by Anonymousreply 198May 22, 2023 1:58 PM

Felice's cousin from Spain.

by Anonymousreply 199May 22, 2023 3:22 PM

I heard the first version of the theme song was recorded by Jose Feliceshachterano, but was rejected as too urban.

by Anonymousreply 200May 22, 2023 4:32 PM

Felice Navidad!

by Anonymousreply 201May 22, 2023 10:12 PM

Mazel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 22, 2023 10:42 PM

I loved all of them. God bless the Facts of Life!

by Anonymousreply 203May 22, 2023 11:28 PM

Nedra, you old dyke, you weren't even around when they were spun off.

by Anonymousreply 204May 23, 2023 1:04 AM

What are you talking about? She the was Drummond's housekeeper after it was spun off.

by Anonymousreply 205May 23, 2023 1:27 AM

Yes, AFTER.

by Anonymousreply 206May 23, 2023 1:29 AM

Didn’t Charlotte Rae and Geri Jewell not get along.

by Anonymousreply 207May 23, 2023 1:31 AM

Charlotte and Geri got along fine. I read Geri's book and she didn't have a bad thing to say about any of them.

by Anonymousreply 208May 23, 2023 1:43 AM

I'm not drunk, I have cerebral palsy!

by Anonymousreply 209May 23, 2023 3:22 AM

I remember this show vividly, although I was born after the retool, it seemed to be on any channel that would play rerun sitcoms. I remember both casts, and as a kid preferred the first cast, but recently rewatched and it's more and more Blair, Tootie, Natalie, blonde 1, blonde 2 and Nancy. By two thirds of the way into the first season you can see the writers relying on Blair, Tootie or Natalie to move the story along (Natalie being the perfect fit that she was had to have peeved the others with real resumes). Blair being the clear leader, I do think that Nancy could've worked with Blair and still left room for Jo, if they had Nancy go the 'wayward' route. How these actresses were all shocked that they were cut is a mystery, just looking at the trajectory of the first season, Blair, Tootie, and Natalie were the only ones who seemed to not be play-acting, were clearly inserted into any scene that needed 'authenticity'. Sue-Ann was awful, box-jawed, over-the-top, and not likable or relatable. She was basically the Jessie Spano of this show. While I preferred the original cast, I was also a child, so not exactly able to discern the better performers vs the ones I 'liked'.

When I was a kid watching this I never liked Jos character, and Blair embodied the aesthetic of the 80s, even with the extra weight, her hair balanced out enough where she was like the glamazons on magazines popular at the time, if they were younger and in prep school.

The clothes are ridiculous, but I also have photos of my mother in the late 70s wearing the super short shorts- they were definitely a hallmark of that era, but the girls went from overly tarted up to ridiculously over layered, frumps, which would you wouldn't have seen at a school like Eastland. (The type of school that would restrict your calories if you started looking unseemly for the tax brackets it represents) .

by Anonymousreply 210May 23, 2023 10:56 PM

I remember Tracy Ullman appearing on Letterman circa 1985. She said "Have you seen Facts of Life lately, Dave? Those girls are going to crash though the ceiling!"

by Anonymousreply 211May 24, 2023 2:31 AM

What did she mean. R211?

by Anonymousreply 212May 24, 2023 3:01 AM

R212 That they were heavy girls

by Anonymousreply 213May 24, 2023 3:07 AM

She meant they were in a lot of debt, R212.

by Anonymousreply 214May 24, 2023 5:48 AM

R212, she meant their success was pushing them to spectacularly shatter the 'glass ceiling' which restricted actresses in that male-dominated industry.

by Anonymousreply 215May 24, 2023 9:58 AM

We need updates. Will there be a reunion?

by Anonymousreply 216January 3, 2024 3:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!