Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Detroit Neurosurgeon shot to death in home thread 2

The old thread is impossible to post on . Let’s keep this unsolved homicide going. Dr Hoover deserves justice.

by Anonymousreply 295March 3, 2024 7:13 PM

Link to old thread, Part 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2023 6:33 AM

Hey, I crate trained my dog too. Crates are fine, but in the basement???

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2023 10:25 AM

Do we know for sure that Lucy was in the basement? I guess she was too big to share his bed.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2023 12:20 PM

Are we sure the crate was for Lucy and not for puppy play?

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2023 12:30 PM

An article specifically stated that the crate was in the basement. Keep in mind, Dr. Hoover's basement is nicer than many of your homes.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2023 1:56 PM

R3 12” wasn’t too big for his bed…he could deal with a dog at at his feet

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2023 2:00 PM

Weird that someone broke in seven days after the crime. Apparently hoodlums can wander in and out with impunity in this neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2023 3:21 PM

Whoever broke in knew that house well. You don't steal a statue like this on a whim.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2023 3:35 PM

The AP on the FB group says the person of interest is a convicted felon. I think the AP is crackpot.

There's also on older guy who isn't posting anonymously who says that he owned a restaurant where Hoover was a frequent customer. That guy is a fucking nutter. In one post, he said that a relative of his was killed in the Scandinavian star cruise ship fire. The nutter says that he fielded questions from the press and the media just wants juice to sell papers. In another post, he talks about how he dreams or see signs of deceased relatives. He also had some long post several days back where he said nobody deserves to be murdered and then mentioned the QAnon follower in Michigan who offed his family, some Michigan grandma who shot her grandson, mass shootings, and the Craigslist killer. The post seemed like a half ass attempt to try and acknowledge other crimes. There were posts where he mentions the gay community in Detroit. The restaurant guy never gets hand slapped for mentioning sexuality and the gay community. There have been posters who get hand slapped when they mention or ask questions about Hoover's former live in boyfriend or sexual orientation.

I'll admit that I find some of the naive posts regarding law enforcement, rewards, etc to be entertaining because you can totally see that some of those posters have lived very sheltered lives and trying to come off gung ho justice warriors for Hoover. Those same sheltered posters post things that just give off a classist vibe. There are posters along with the AP who keep posting things like "Dr. Hoover/Devon wasn't just anyone and the police need to hold a press conference ASAP". They basically act like Hoover is above other murder victims and that DPD should be giving the Hoover family VIP treatment.

I said this in the prior thread, but if some other high-profile murder happens in Detroit or somewhere else in Michigan, for example, a pro athlete or an elected official gets murdered. Media attention would shift to that and the fraus in the FB group would probably have meltdowns because the Hoover case would end up on the media back burner. But, in that kind of scenario, the fraus might realize their own biases and they would see that sometimes the media and society don't and can't always treat every murder case with VIP treatment.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2023 4:22 PM

R3 we don't know if Lucy shared his bed. .....

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2023 7:53 PM

The dog being in the crate was a clue!!! If Doctor was leaving town to go see his mother, he may have had someone come by to pick up the dog...the someone who killed him and hid him in the attic...who also knew he was supposed to be going out of town.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2023 7:54 PM

R9 I agree. "Anonymous Participant" is not to be trusted.

He-she penned something back on May 15 claiming that the DPD would be making an announcement in 24 hours. Well, three days have passed. No announcement.

Also, note this poster signs off with things like "Evil never prevails," and how the perp "will burn in hell," as well as other statements about God providing the evidence.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2023 7:59 PM

Was the statue the only thing taken?

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2023 8:02 PM

If he was naked and shot behind his ear and in the back of his head, could he have been on his hands and knees taking BBC from behind and the guy shot him?

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2023 8:43 PM

R14 "Not my Devon" as the fraus on the Facebook site squeal.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2023 10:43 PM

The Facebook group is an example of poor moderation. As much as Websleuths and some reddit true crime threads can go off the rails--at least there are attempts at decent moderation on those sites. The moderation on that group is done in such a cherry picking manner.

I knew the Facebook group was going to turn into a shit show when a woman posted that she believed that a boyfriend killer Hoover and some guy replied "you mean girlfriend". I think those posts were deleted. Early on, some of the people who knew Hoover were treading lightly and writing things like "he had a partner who lived with him". The Anonymous Participant's posts just added to the shit show.

Since the group has been referenced in news articles, l wonder if law enforcement is keeping an eye on the group. The bitchy part of me imagines some detective rolling their eyes or laughing at the stuff the AP posts and other stupid shit going on in there. In some posts the AP bitches about DPD and the DA's office not doing this or that. Then in other posts AP gives praise to DPD and saying that he/she thinks they are going to solve the case and that DPD is working hard.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2023 12:57 AM

Is the facebook page still up ? I can’t find it

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2023 1:20 AM

R17 Yes.

I'm not sure if DL takes Facebook links any longer but I put the link in.

If that doesn't work the page name is: Justice for Dr. Devon Hoover

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2023 1:23 AM

The group is called Justice for Dr. Devon Hoover.

Some anonymous person posted this. This person is dumb as fuck. I get the vibe the person is a homophobic patient of Hoover's who can't accept the details that have come out on Hoover. Just because someone appears to be OCD/perfectionist doesn't mean they don't have flaws.

[quote] "Why is everybody making him out to be a bad guy? .. like he went and picked guys off the streets random guys and one day he picked the wrong one? To me he looked very OCD, and that ocd made him a good neurosurgeon. for example he loved taking care of his garden, and wanting to do the bushes by himself rather than pay someone. He was a perfectionist, classic/antique lover,loved expensive and refined stuff- like his house that he chose to live in. Whose to say that he could have been randomly target to be robbed for money? People say well there was an attic, the one who did it must know the house. The house is part of the historic society, you can find pictures and blue prints of its design online, beforehand. The fact that his body was dragged and covered means that the person spent quite a quality time there before he shot him, even possibly undressing him, was anything said about his clothes he was wearing?, in addition someone in the neighborhood must have seen or heard something? Also, whose to say that maybe a family member of someone’s who died during surgery didn’t do this? They could have felt it was his fault and therefore came for him, people deal with grief differently and it is associated with anger, someone who couldn’t manage those emotions might have thought it was dr Hoovers fault and blamed him. There’s so much speculation that he might have been gay? Who knows this ..justifying it based on the fact that he was single. He could have been schizoid - and enjoyed his life alone. The fact that he is a doctor, it takes a lot of time to be a doctor let alone a surgeon which takes 10+years. he could have been bi maybe, nobody can say this for sure. The fact that he was a perfectionist makes me believe that he wouldn’t just randomly pick someone of the streets, he would have been more carefully with his choice. At least this is what I think, let me know what you might think? …My prayers go to his family specifically to his father who not only lost a son but also his wife in the same month. May they watch over you from haeaven and protect and guide your family through this difficult time."

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2023 1:26 AM

He was a perfectionist and an antique lover! He couldn't have been into skanky rough trade!

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2023 1:30 AM

I am Convinced that this Anonymous Poster has real animus against Devon ..something nefarious about this guy. He’s so passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2023 1:38 AM

R21, trolls enjoy hurting vulnerable people. They often attach themselves to stories that they are not connected to in the real world just for the sake of baiting and manipulating others. Anonymous Poster may have known Devon, but he also could just be troll who is enjoying the attention.

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2023 2:10 AM

R22, true . But there’s a vibe there

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2023 2:13 AM

Ashleigh Banfield gave a brief report on the Hoover case last night on her NewsNation show. The coverage only lasted five minutes. Some people on the FB group whined about it. Some of the comments are below. The people again in that group show how fucking whiny and out of touch they are. Other murder cases don't get as much media coverage as Hoover's case because sometimes the victims are in lower socio-economic classes or were minorities. There's not much info released for Banfield or any other journalists to do in depth reporting. I used to be a person who didn't always buy into the "white privilege issue". But, it's not total bullshit and some of the people on that group are constant reinforcements of entitled upper middle class white privilege.

The AP did bitch about the DA's office. I'm surprised the fraus haven't bitched about DA Kym Worthy. Bitch fests about Worthy could still happen though. I wouldn't be surprised if the fraus have been emailing or calling Wothy's office to try and plea for "quick justice for Devon". I get that Hoover was a great surgeon, but it's a bit classist and sad as to how some of the people on that FB group can't be satisfied with anything the media or law enforcement does. Law enforcement is far from perfect in this country, but there are times due to various reasons they can't do certain things quickly. It's not always incompetence or laziness.

If some of the people in that group were savvy enough they could try to butter up the lesbian Michigan attorney general Dana Nessel in their quest for justice. They could use the pleas of "Devon was a great gay community member in Michigan". They are probably too dense to do that. Also, the Elliot Larsen Civil Rights Act was only recently expanded to include protections for gay and lesbians in Michigan. Some of the people in that group probably don't realize that Hoover had been at risk of being fired by his employers for many years.

The comments on the Banfield coverage.

[quote] Wow a whole 5 minutes!! No, missed it. Doesn't sound like I missed a lot!

[quote] so I understand! His life was only worth 5 minutes???

[quote] very disappointed with the job she did on the story. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2023 5:20 PM

Did Banfield interview any of his gay buddies or even mention that he's gay? .. Did NewsNation obtain the autopsy report and reveal anything more than what Detroit Free Press has done? .. Did they get any spokesperson from the DPD to comment on the status of the investigation?

Or was her report just a regurgitation of what's already out there?

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2023 8:25 PM

Banfield interviewed a friend of Hoover who had been making doors for the carriage house on the property. The guy didn't really say anything new. Just that Devon has nice and everyone loved him. Banfield didn't say anything new. She reported in such an irritating over the top manner. It's sad that she's become like that because in the past on other networks she did some good reporting on major events.

Somewhere on the Facebook group, the Anonymous Participant or others kept mentioning that 20/20 or Dateline should cover the story. If the case ever ends up on one of those shows, it will still cause some kind of drama because a lot of people in the FB group are never happy with any kind of coverage.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2023 12:16 AM

On the other thread there was an article that mentions that the neighborhood had " top notch security ". Wouldn't that mean cameras and Police Patrols? They shot him from behind, but was it at a downward angle or a straight line shot? They'll probably never find that gun and meanwhile the murderer is probably long gone. I know there's no answers right now, but I hope there will be and they catch this person. I know this sounds awful, but what if it was someone who was working Security in his neighborhood? He liked to entertain and many people had been in his house. That big heavy staue was stolen, but nothing else. I mean you'd need a truck to haul it. The guy staying with him and his mother, where were they? I know Cops won't divulge those details, but I hope they do solve this. This man helped a lot of people, and I'm so glad his mother never knew. His poor family and friends and Patients. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought this case was solved until I started reading the 2nd thread earlier. Sorry I'm rambling, I just read both threads, and it's just disturbing. Senseless. I hope he didn't know what was coming. I'm just glad his mom didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2023 3:09 AM

I checked YouTube and there's hardly anything about Devon, I mean a few 2 or 3 minute clips, but that's it. Why aren't some of those Criminal experts asking and demanding answers like they did on the Idaho College Kids?

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2023 3:13 AM

I guess gay men don’t matter . Devon was such a gifted light for world

by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2023 3:40 AM

Click on Detroit has given something of an update on where police are in the investigation and what Wayne County prosecutors have requested.

Well, the gun, yeah. That was one of the first things I mentioned in the first thread.

But there's other information on some of what they do have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 20, 2023 5:28 AM

I wonder if sympathy for his Mennonite family may keep details from coming out?

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2023 11:50 PM

There's a woman in the FB group who posted recently that she hopes that if the murderer is arrested, that they will plead guilty that way there won't be a trial. She states that in murder trials the defense counsel's job is to make the victim "unattractive as possible". I wonder if she was friends with Hoover and fears certain things coming out.

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2023 12:10 AM

If it goes to trial, I don't think they'd be able to keep details out. The prosecution would probably have to include more details about the condition of Hoover's body and what they actually found at the murder site and how it all links to the accused. And journalists would investigate and report on the suspect. Meanwhile if the defense finds itself arguing against Murder One, then they might try to make it a case about the defendant's relationship with the victim.

by Anonymousreply 33May 22, 2023 12:11 AM

^Chatbot summary of a random Dateline episode

by Anonymousreply 34May 22, 2023 12:48 AM

The original report about the autopsy came from the Detroit Free Press. The Detroit News also got the autopsy and added something in there article that the Free Press didn't about what caused abrasions on his face. Quoting from the doctor:

[quote] According to the autopsy performed by Assistant Wayne County Medical Examiner Leigh Hlavaty the same day Hoover's body was found, the doctor had been shot twice from behind. "The decedent was shot first behind the right ear and then sustained the contact shot on the back of the head," the report said. "The abrasions indicate that he was face-down with his left lower face against a firm surface for at least one of the gunshot wounds, and that his body was dragged in the prone position after his death."

by Anonymousreply 35May 22, 2023 7:14 PM

Drag? He died as drag?

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2023 8:12 PM

There is a chilling irony to a brain surgeon, who had spent so many years cultivating a brilliant mind, being shot in the head.

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2023 8:23 PM

That was funny^. I like R37’s sense of the macabre.

by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2023 8:29 PM

Do we think he's gay because his last name is Hoover?

by Anonymousreply 39May 22, 2023 11:08 PM

The "Justice" Facebook posters are all up in arms over another Facebook page that is more like a "true crime" site, and apparently let's posters say all kinds of things about him. Word is, if you challenge someone there about something not being true, they kick you off.

I believe the page goes by the name "Dr. Devon Hoover - Case Discussion by Crime Connect." One has to request membership. Anyone belong?

Someone on the Justice page says people on the other site have referred to him as "Devon Vacuum." Another person raised the (good) question asking who was the last person to see Hoover alive (before the murderer)? .. This led to, "On the other site, there is a guy who says he got a cash app from Devon Saturday nite."

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2023 10:12 PM

This was the first I read about the crate in the basement and it's not necessarily odd. A tucked-away crate is potentially helpful if you hold frequent soirees or if work is done being on the house.

We kept one fully assembled in the basement during a stint in a tornado-prone area, even though the dog had her run of the place. The only people besides close friends and family who would've known about it were those who worked in (or on) the house.

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2023 10:34 PM

Completely agree with R28 about the lack of coverage. I live in Indiana, not far from Goshen. There was zero zip nada coverage that I could find and not even any gossip. Probably because he was gay, which is as much a taboo here as in Florida. But they talked for days about the Idaho killer being stopped by Indiana state police for speeding as if that mattered. I got burned out very quickly by the coverage of those privileged spoiled brats. Don't get me started on the podcast credential "experts" for the Delphi case.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2023 10:53 PM

[quote] Do we think he's gay because his last name is Hoover?

Well he did like to suck - suck dick that is

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2023 3:07 AM

Anger and hate kills sex drive among other things

by Anonymousreply 44May 29, 2023 12:37 AM

Please forgive me at r44 that was for another post

by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2023 12:38 AM

Any updates? This is so frustrating

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2023 12:39 AM

The AP posted this a day ago. I still don't think that AP can be trusted and in some posts he said he's pulling things out of his ass.

[quote]I read this from the other page and thought it may give some clarity, im still hurt and couldn’t comprehend who and why they would do this? But things are starting to line up… [quote]A friend stated : [quote] The killer and victim were acquaintances for years, brought together by unknowing neighbors and the sleaziest salesman, but more recently the killer had demonstrated obsession over Devon and what Devon owned. My wife and I were out with Devon to dinner, at a bar, or event and guess who’d be calling and texting Devon obsessively? Devon told me what he thought this obsessive friend wanted. Devon’s other friends, his family, and I have been working with and supporting law enforcement completely. Since this was a white collar crime committed by men who live in our community, you aren’t going to read much on here from Devon’s friends. We have been and continue to work together to support this air tight case all the way through. I say this to say, stop slandering the dead man. The killer has sat opposite Devon at dinners we attended and next to Devon at events I hosted. Everybody agrees the guy seemed like a creep, but we didn’t figure him for a completely psychotic idiot. But here we are and everything is lined up, from the motive to the paths they took, the incomprehensible greed, narcissistic folly, and dastardly poor character of the lowest white man and his fellow shit stains. Be patient, and if an investigator asks you to share information with law enforcement.. you better do it promptly.

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2023 2:22 AM

The other recent stuff from the FB group is some weirdo woman suggesting that a psychic get involved with the case. The weirdo restaurant guy seems to have toned down his weirdness and hasn't posting stupid crap in the past several days.

by Anonymousreply 48May 29, 2023 2:27 AM

[quote] The "Justice" Facebook posters are all up in arms over another Facebook page that is more like a "true crime" site, and apparently let's posters say all kinds of things about him. Word is, if you challenge someone there about something not being true, they kick you off.

Continuing with that, the Justice group is now debating posts put up at the other FB page. "Anonymous Poster" found the one below that he put on the Justice page. Who knows if any of this is true or who's actually writing this stuff?

[quote] A friend stated:

[quote] The killer and victim were acquaintances for years, brought together by unknowing neighbors and the sleaziest salesman, but more recently the killer had demonstrated obsession over Devon and what Devon owned. My wife and I were out with Devon to dinner, at a bar, or event and guess who’d be calling and texting Devon obsessively? Devon told me what he thought this obsessive friend wanted. Devon’s other friends, his family, and I have been working with and supporting law enforcement completely. Since this was a white collar crime committed by men who live in our community, you aren’t going to read much on here from Devon’s friends. We have been and continue to work together to support this air tight case all the way through.

[quote] I say this to say, stop slandering the dead man. The killer has sat opposite Devon at dinners we attended and next to Devon at events I hosted. Everybody agrees the guy seemed like a creep, but we didn’t figure him for a completely psychotic idiot. But here we are and everything is lined up, from the motive to the paths they took, the incomprehensible greed, narcissistic folly, and dastardly poor character of the lowest white man and his fellow shit stains. Be patient, and if an investigator asks you to share information with law enforcement.. you better do it promptly.

by Anonymousreply 49May 29, 2023 4:03 AM

In other words, a crooked doctor.

by Anonymousreply 50May 29, 2023 4:14 AM

One of the neighbors, a woman who posts under her real name believes that the AP did know Devon. If the AP turns out to be troll, a part of me wouldn't feel bad for those people who believe all his posts. That Facebook group is a good example of piss poor moderation. I did notice that an older woman who said she was friends with Devon early on is no longer posting on there.

by Anonymousreply 51May 29, 2023 4:36 AM

Anonymous Poster could be the killer

by Anonymousreply 52May 29, 2023 8:13 AM

YOu know what ?Devon may have had some creepy friend who hung around and pestered him for years and envied him his art collection. But I would not consider that person to be the killer. I do believe it was d efinitely someone he knew. And the fact that he was wrapped up and dragged naked to the attic tells me the person was familiar with the house. I wish someone who has been following this case more closely than I have would summarize what we know so far ?

by Anonymousreply 53May 29, 2023 2:28 PM

I apologize if this is a repost, but I think this article, from a local Detroit station in early May, says something I haven’t seen elsewhere: it says that the “person of interest” who was arrested earlier on unrelated charges, and then released after 72 hours, “is still the focus of the investigation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 29, 2023 3:36 PM

R54 I saw that too. This is like a movie where someone does something heinous and then puts on a semi convincing facade, and the cops are watching him but nothing seems to happen. Now, in real life I can't believe if they have someone in mind, they can't develop enough evidence to bring charges and build a convincing case.

OK. Let's look at this. There have to be fingerprints around the house, Right? So the cops have to process the prints. Given the size of the house and the number of people regularly running around the place that will take time. They'll have to talk to people to determine who had access to the house. That will take time. Some people will be around more than others. Then comes the process of elimination.

The perp obviously wore gloves.He had a gun. They haven't found the gun, or at least they haven't said. The body was wrapped in plastic. Dragged to the attic or carried? Does that mean maybe more than one person? The Doctor was naked except for one sock. So here's another question. Was the real intent to rob the doctor of some of his treasures and make it look like a date gone wrong?

He was shot exec ution style. Who ever killed him may have used his sexual orientation against him, and killed him. This could have been a robbery/hate crime. Someone he knew, but not a close friend? We went to a date gone wrong motive, but maybe it was meant to look like that.

I think if we raise the questions among ourselves we can get closer to this than any of the other websites and their nut cases. I think we're smarter.

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2023 5:27 PM

Over the past four decades, homicide clearance rates – the metric used to determine how many homicides police solve – have decreased from about 71% in 1980 to an all-time low of about 50% in 2020, according to separate analyses of FBI data by the non-profits the Marshall Project and Murder Accountability Project.

Guardian, 27 Feb 2023

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2023 5:41 PM

You have to wonder though how much of the decrease is due to people not being falsely convicted.

by Anonymousreply 57May 29, 2023 5:44 PM

If prosecutors are telling police that they need the gun to really make the case against their prime suspect (the person-of-interest) -- as reported in the article at R30 -- then that sounds rather hopeless at this point.

It's been six weeks. If the perp hasn't disposed of the gun by now, then he really is crazy.

I'm reminded that LAPD never found knife that killed Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2023 6:58 PM

[quote]Since this was a white collar crime committed by men who live in our community, you aren’t going to read much on here from Devon’s friends.

Is he calling the murder a white-collar crime?

by Anonymousreply 59May 29, 2023 7:04 PM

R59 Whoever penned that seems to have an issue with "white" going on to say:

[quote] ... the incomprehensible greed, narcissistic folly, and dastardly poor character of the lowest white man and his fellow shit stains.

That kind of rambling makes me question the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2023 7:14 PM

R54 that link is a month old…for chrissake

by Anonymousreply 61May 29, 2023 10:03 PM

The female neighbor/friend who posts frequently on the group posted today. In her post, she said that years ago Devon commissioned her to do a painting of his dog. She said that Devon's partner at the time "went into a sulk and threw a wrench into the project" (her words) and that she had suspicions about why it happened. But, she says never shared her suspicions with Hoover and that he insisted on paying her even though no work had been done. She says she argued with him, but he didn't budge.

Her post led to someone questioning her if the former partner was a suspect and she never replied to that person. Another woman who knew Devon replied that she believes that Devon wasn't speaking to that former partner at the time of his death. The other woman said that Devon was too generous and people took advantage of him. There are some people who don't know to limit generosity or say no in many situations.

by Anonymousreply 62May 29, 2023 11:03 PM

I am beginning to think this is a robbery by someone he knew who wanted it to look like it was a sexual encounter gone wrong. Gay doctor found naked allows everyone to jump to conclusions. So a bit of misdirection. The reason I say this is because of the way he was killed. Shot twice in the back of the head. The robber wrapped him in plastic and hid him in the attic because he may have know Devon was leaving town to go to his mother's funeral. So if people didn't see him or hear from him they'd assume he was out of town. For all we know maybe the killer was supposed to come with money t o buy something expensive, like artwork, etc. from Devon, but decided to rob him instead. Or possibly the killer told Devon he was going to deliver some fantastic piece of furniture or art to him and Devon had the money to give him, but the g uy killed him and robbed him. I just think this wasn't as random as some trick killing him. There's more to it.

by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2023 3:16 AM

His mother died days after he did, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2023 3:27 AM

Maybe the killer watched ‘How to get away with murder’ on TV and now he (or she) is literally going to get away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2023 4:49 AM

R65, maybe. But if he was meeting with someone, for whatever reason, his cell phone probably has text exchanges about it, or at least calls to or from a specific number. Cell phones are always a huge repository of useful data.

There's also the interesting question--well, interesting to me--of how the killer got to Devon's house. Someone, presumably the killer, took Devon's car keys and fled a short distance in Devon's car. So the killer didn't arrive in his own car. Did he take a taxi? Did Devon pick him up? Not having a car there cuts against the robbery hypothesis; a robber will plan on leaving quickly. He isn't going to want to risk not being able to find Devon's car keys, or being stopped driving Devon's car.

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2023 3:13 PM

I would think taking his car would have led to a quick resolution to the case - surely you can't drive a car and leave no fingerprints behind? No video cameras in Detroit to see the car driving by though they did have that in little Moscow, Idaho? No one saw anything at all? And all that handling of the body??

Oh well, sometimes they get away. If so, they must have been extremely careful about touching anything or avoiding being spotted - boggles my mind.

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2023 6:19 PM

Maybe it was an uncannily clever and careful fellow doctor - like another surgeon? Or some other effin' genius.

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2023 6:21 PM

Good point, R66. Are we convinced that who ever took his car is implicated in his murder. If I was going to kill somebody like Devon, I’d break his neck and put him at the foot of the stairs

by Anonymousreply 69May 30, 2023 6:29 PM

Just a thought about the car that was taken ....

If the "person of interest" is also the live-in partner (mentioned in the quote from the neighbor in R62), and he's the same person who took the car, then it's possible he was able to show police that driving Devon's vehicle(s) was not something out of the ordinary for him. Maybe this person even had his own key to the car and/or Devon had him on his insurance policy for the car). My live-in partner and I have been on each other's policies for years, because we know we might need to drive each other's car and don't want any problems. Spare car keys are also available to one another.

by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2023 12:55 AM

I'm bumping this thread. I feel like we haven't been as engaged as we should be in coming up with a solid theory of WTF happened. Devon deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 71June 1, 2023 3:05 PM

Justice for Devon!!

by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2023 6:29 AM

R66 & R67 Very good points. Also, this neighborhood pays for private security and patrols. I wouldn’t be surprised if the private security company also had installed cameras at key entry/exit points to the neighborhood. Why no comments from the security company - either way; yes we have information and we turned it over to DPD - or - no, we checked our databases and information and we have zilch. If I lived in that neighborhood and was paying hundreds of dollars per month for private security, I’d be asking, what’s up, where’s the perp?

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2023 9:48 PM

This may be a dumb question-but is the private security in those upscale neighborhoods paid through HOA fees?

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2023 10:14 PM

R73 Of course, they have video. The local, Detroit news update at R30 reported that a couple weeks ago.

But it must all be circumstantial and not enough to identify or charge anyone.

And again, about DNA found in the home and/or the car: if the person was known to Devon, as some have suggested, this would be a reason for that person's DNA to be around the home and in the car, so again could be used as an explanation as to why it was found.

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2023 10:20 PM

R74 Not a dumb question, but already covered in Part 1 of this thread. Putting the same link below.

Yes, Boston-Edison has their own security paid through the HOA.

And in some photos of Devon's house, you can see the security company's "DSS" sign in the front and decals on his garage doors.

Plus, with all the antiques and expensive stuff he collected, I'm sure his homeowners insurance would require him to have a certain level of security in place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2023 10:28 PM

R76 Thank you for posting the link. I must have missed in part 1.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2023 11:40 PM

I’m starting to wonder if this is going to get solved. It’s been several weeks now, and minimal new news, it’s moved to the back burner and will now be slowly forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 78June 9, 2023 3:01 AM

The AP on the Facebook group is saying that DPD is working hard, but he claims that the prosecutor is the problem. He says that Devon was found in the bedroom attic closet and AP says the small bedroom in the attic was where Devon would take his "special guest".

One of Hoover's female friends and others are wondering if the FBI is involved in the case. One guy is claiming that the FBI is involved. I was surprised that the female friend who brought up the FBI had the guts to post that Hoover's case shouldn't get special treatment just because he was a prominent and important person to many in the group. I think that friend realizes that other homicide cases in Detroit don't get much attention. Hoover seemed like a good doctor who went above and beyond for his patients. But, some of his patients, neighbors, and friends who post in that group are clearly upper middle class types or sheltered people who probably don't get how fucked up society is when it comes to crime and how the system doesn't treat all cases as equal.

by Anonymousreply 79June 11, 2023 6:52 AM

Wow. Well we're learning more. I had no idea he was in a bedroom with a closet up in the attic. Who ever did this didn't want him found very quickly. But my question is, was he killed up there or was he dragged up there after he was killed?

by Anonymousreply 80June 11, 2023 12:56 PM

He lived alone in a three story mansion, yet he entertain only in the attic? Ok , then.

by Anonymousreply 81June 11, 2023 1:11 PM

Sounds like the dungeon was in the attic.

by Anonymousreply 82June 11, 2023 1:23 PM

A dungeon is defined as a below ground prison cell or chamber. If there had been a ‘dungeon,’ that info would be known at this point.

by Anonymousreply 83June 11, 2023 1:27 PM

Because justice matters.

Daddy Glenn Kirschner.

by Anonymousreply 84June 11, 2023 1:29 PM

[quote]A dungeon is defined as a below ground prison cell or chamber.

No shit.

by Anonymousreply 85June 11, 2023 2:08 PM

How can we trust AP? I got blocked from page because i pissed him off with my suspicions about him . He could be the killer for all we know. I Go on the site from my work computer and I just secretly peruse .

by Anonymousreply 86June 11, 2023 4:35 PM

So why did you say the dungeon was in the attic? Just curious…

by Anonymousreply 87June 11, 2023 4:36 PM

He was into medieval culture, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 88June 11, 2023 5:11 PM

Just saying, because of my own proclivities and experiences, the kind of dungeon we're eluding to doesn't necessarily have to be below ground.

by Anonymousreply 89June 11, 2023 5:15 PM

Oh I get it. I’m just thinking out loud: if I had a home with so many rooms to choose from to enjoy ‘activities,’ I don’t think I’d choose the attic. 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 90June 11, 2023 5:20 PM

It's might have been a dungeon themed playroom. With slings and paraphernalia for play. He would set it up in the attic so when family and friends visit, they won't stumble upon it. He might have even kept it locked. If the DPD is showing him and his family respect, they might not want to describe it other than an attic crawl space.

by Anonymousreply 91June 11, 2023 5:46 PM

R91 Exactly! He might have also had it up there for privacy from others, in case he had a Mrs. Kravitz type neighbor or photographers, anyone who could possibly blackmail him. As now, that getting out could really damage his reputation.

by Anonymousreply 92June 11, 2023 6:00 PM

R86 I don't trust the AP. I might sound like an asshole for this, but I sometimes laugh at his posts. He often comes off as over the top with phrases like "evil never prevails" and other religious-type quotes tossed into his posts. I recall at one point the AP claimed that the DPD was going to have a press conference or release info on the suspect within a 48 hour period, but that never happened. I find it odd how the AP is always licking DPD's ass in a lot of posts and is always bitching about the prosecutor. He never discusses in depth why the prosecutor is the problem.

There are other people in that group who I don't trust or who I find weird like the one guy who said some "old man neighbor" is involved in the murder. The restaurant owner guy who posted a bunch of weird stuff doesn't come as trustworthy. But, that guy hasn't been posting lately. I thought it was odd how the restaurant guy could pretty much post whatever the fuck he wanted in regards to speculation on Hoover's personal life and the gay community. Yet, when others posted about Hoover's private life activities possibly being connected to the murder they would get hand slapped.

Again, I'll probably sound like an asshole for this-whitewashing is a bit common in that group. But, I think it's mostly Hoover's patients who whitewash him because they can't accept or refuse to believe that he was gay or did things in his private life that they don't like or agree with. Hoover was probably a very competent and compassionate surgeon. But, in his private life, he probably had flaws like we all do. I also thought the one patient who talked to NBC News crossed a line when she did an interview with them. It's one thing to speak out when a friend or relative is murdered, but if it's someone you only knew through medical treatment/appointments it gets a little weird. I appreciate it when healthcare professionals treat me well and are compassionate. But, they aren't my friends and if my doctor or dentist was murdered, I wouldn't be contacting the media for interviews. I would pay respects to the family through an online obit guestbook and leave it at that. I wouldn't be surprised if some of Hoover's friends who post or lurk on that group are annoyed with some of the patients and acquaintances acting like they were buddies with Hoover.

by Anonymousreply 93June 11, 2023 6:06 PM

R80 The autopsy report specifically indicated that he was dragged face down to the attic.

by Anonymousreply 94June 11, 2023 7:51 PM

He had a dozen or more choices other than the attic to play! Think people! Yes, R94

by Anonymousreply 95June 11, 2023 8:33 PM

[quote] It's one thing to speak out when a friend or relative is murdered, but if it's someone you only knew through medical treatment/appointments it gets a little weird.

It's kind of a thing, especially for fraus, to "fall in love" and become rather obsessed with their doctor. I wouldn't doubt his reported kindness and compassion often led to this phenomenon.

There's actually a name for this: De Clerambault Syndrome

by Anonymousreply 96June 11, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote]the kind of dungeon we're eluding to

I know there's something wrong with this sentence but it escapes me right now...

by Anonymousreply 97June 11, 2023 8:50 PM

Fine you your complaint with Apple’s Siri dept, —autocorrect subdivision.

Not the poster who made that error…

by Anonymousreply 98June 11, 2023 8:55 PM

See what I did there?

by Anonymousreply 99June 11, 2023 8:55 PM

R96 I got that vibe from some of the frau posters.

by Anonymousreply 100June 12, 2023 2:21 AM

From the TV news report upthread, and from other news reports, it appears the the police do know who the murderer is, based on cameras inside the house and "DNA" (with no further details), that the victim knew his killer, that it was a "domestic" issue and that there are no other suspects. I think I read about text messages, as well. Mystery solved. The police aren't releasing the suspect's name yet. But there must be a lack of direct evidence that the prosecutor needs. The gun will probably never be found and if the perp was a fuck buddy kept on the down low, it might be hard to establish motive.

by Anonymousreply 101June 13, 2023 4:00 AM

R101 Oh no, this is turning out to be an episode of - how to get away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 102June 15, 2023 3:01 AM

GoFundMe has been set up to raise money for a 20k reward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 15, 2023 11:50 PM

R103, I'll contribute

by Anonymousreply 104June 16, 2023 12:06 AM

I'm thinking this means Detroit authorities have told the family that they've reached a dead-end with all the leads they've looked into so far.

I see that the top donation right now is from the gay-married dentist from Chicago (Jason) who's known Hoover since they were in college together and gave one of the eulogies at his funeral service.

by Anonymousreply 105June 16, 2023 12:13 AM

I checked out some of the latest posts in the FB group. Some guy posted something about why Hoover being gay isn't discussed. The guy wonders if Hover met a guy on a social hook up app and the guy went over to the house to rob him. Some troll guy said he thought Hoover was a lesbian and got into why it with that weirdo restaurant owner guy. There were bunch of cluster fuck type responses. I've said this before, but the people moderating that group do such a piss poor job.

by Anonymousreply 106June 16, 2023 3:55 AM

So many uninformed fools on this thread who have not been paying attention to the facts. The police KNOW who killed him. There's simply not yet enough direct evidence to convict. There is only one person of interest and no other.

by Anonymousreply 107June 16, 2023 5:18 AM

[quote] There's simply not yet enough direct evidence to convict.

R107 Just to clarify, that was what I meant when I wrote in R105 that "they've reached a dead-end with all the leads they've looked into so far" -- meaning in relation to gathering more evidence against this one person of interest and/or finding the gun that will somehow tie possession to him.

But after two months now, I have my doubts that they will ever find the gun. He'd be pretty stupid to not have buried or even destroyed it by now.

by Anonymousreply 108June 16, 2023 7:25 AM

Robert Kardashian had the murder knife and that’s why God gave him cancer. I’m just surprised Dershowitz is still around.

by Anonymousreply 109June 16, 2023 8:42 AM

You can buy a manse like the doctor’s for pennies on the dollar in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2023 8:45 AM

If the police know who killed him, then why the GoFundMe for a reward?

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2023 10:53 AM

r111, it's incentive for someone who knows the killer to provide more evidence against him.

by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2023 12:22 PM

Thanks, 112!

by Anonymousreply 113June 16, 2023 12:38 PM

Aside from $20,000 it might be more of an incentive, if any potential informant knew that the D.A. is of a mind to not arrest and prosecute the informant for anything else they themselves might be wanted for or facing charges on.

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2023 10:01 PM

Banfield on News Nation is talking about it again.

(btw - After a week now, the Gofundme is still about $5000 short of the goal.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 20, 2023 9:15 PM

In this interview today, local Detroit reporter, Gino Vicci -- sporting a tight, pink polo shirt -- talks to Jordan, one of Devon's friends.

As some may recall, it was (gay-married) Jordan who let everyone know that a big statue inside Devon's mansion was stolen during the post-murder burglary.

The way Jordan talks, it sounds like even he isn't privy to who the person-of-interest is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 22, 2023 3:15 AM

Hunny, them peoples know somthin. This Detroit. Everybody knows people who knows somethin. You wait. Ear to ground, baby! Ear to ground!

by Anonymousreply 117June 22, 2023 3:19 AM

R116 Hey that Gino Vicci guy is kinda hot. What’s his story? Anybody know which team he’s on.

by Anonymousreply 118June 25, 2023 11:08 PM

Sisters issue a statement.

I imagine they're back in Detroit, because they'll eventually have to do something with the house and all those possessions, as well as his estate at-large. It's been two months now.

(btw - The article implies they've raised the $20,000, but it's still just under $17.000.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 26, 2023 2:02 AM

So the autopsy report and DNA results didn’t provide any clues.

by Anonymousreply 120June 27, 2023 4:32 AM

I wonder if friends cleared the house of items that may shock the sisters.

by Anonymousreply 121June 27, 2023 10:36 AM

Now it would seem to me, that as a doctor, and as a wealthy person who collected important stuff, he would have had a lawyer, and a will. Someone authorized to have access to his home and belongings. Even family and friends could not, or should not be able to just walk into his house and "move things" .

by Anonymousreply 122June 27, 2023 1:53 PM

[quote] I wonder if friends cleared the house of items that may shock the sisters.

Yes, we got all of the gargantuan dildos and freakishly large butt plugs out of there stat. Also the industrial sized containers of lube and never ending supply of poppers. Those delicate girls didn’t need to see that.

by Anonymousreply 123June 28, 2023 3:40 AM

Can someone explain what this is?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 28, 2023 3:57 AM

It's a massager, ladies. You strap it around the palm of your hand and rub the area on the patient's where they are experiencing pain. It's been known to un-pinch nerves without surgery.

by Anonymousreply 125June 28, 2023 9:25 AM

area on the patient's body.^

by Anonymousreply 126June 28, 2023 9:27 AM

R122 I had some time today and looked into the status of any probate court action.

Believe it or not, it appears that he died intestate, and his elderly father, who would be his next of kin, filed paperwork to appoint a personal representative - some man in Goshen, Indiana. This process was started back on May 12. I have not found out if this personal representative is related to the family in any way, but the address given for him him is a house, not a business. And this personal representative has since submitted paperwork to the court saying that expenses owed by the estate will be handled by an attorney located in Farmington, Michigan. It read like this attorney will be handling the estate taxes.

Also, in the original petition, the father asked for "informal probate" (which Michigan allows), so there's no court supervision just paperwork to fill out and submitted. This was granted.

So if dad is the heir of his single, unmarried, childless son's estate, then the personal representative he asked to be appointed can probably let the sisters into the house whenever he wants to start getting the place ready for whatever they're going to do with it. While this activity is going on, there's a mortgage to be paid, because other records show that Devon refinanced the place in 2022 with a loan of $656,000.

by Anonymousreply 127June 28, 2023 11:53 AM

Is it possible he didn't have much in cash. His lifestyle was a on the lavish side.

by Anonymousreply 128June 28, 2023 12:01 PM

Good job, R127. Thanks. As an aside, isn't it amazing how much complete strangers like us can find out about someone by just going online? It's interesting, but also kind of scary.

by Anonymousreply 129June 28, 2023 12:47 PM

[quote] I have not found out if this personal representative is related to the family in any way, but the address given for him is a house, not a business.

Okay, looked a little further today, and figured Devon's father would more than likely keep this in their Mennonite family. That proved correct.

The guy who is acting as personal representative for the estate is married to one of Devon's nieces (a son-in-law to one of Devon's sisters).

by Anonymousreply 130June 28, 2023 9:13 PM

[quote] Is it possible he didn't have much in cash. His lifestyle was a on the lavish side.

I would say yes. My aunt was a paralegal for a bankruptcy attorney. She said that people in high earning fields can be screwups when it comes to money. It was usually they lived above their means and racked up too much debt.

by Anonymousreply 131June 29, 2023 3:42 AM

Another NewsNation report, this time with Brian Entin speaking to two of Hoover's friends. Includes some additional footage of the interior of the estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132June 29, 2023 4:20 AM

At minute 4 in R132 video, the two friends of his, who looked a bit nervous at times about the question - the guy says, "I'm confident the police know who did this and why. They just need an airtight case."

So it must be a known acquaintance/friend/partner or whatever - I mean they know WHY!

Assuming the friends also know who AND WHY - and they look like they do.

by Anonymousreply 133June 29, 2023 5:45 AM

He's still dead. And we have no one in custody. What a shit mess. Does anyone think one of the cult members in Indiana came to the D and kilt him?

by Anonymousreply 134June 29, 2023 4:02 PM

Matt definitely smells cookies.

by Anonymousreply 135June 29, 2023 6:56 PM

It's amazing how someone of his age, means, and wealth died intestate. I'm a pauper, by comparison, and I have one.

by Anonymousreply 136June 29, 2023 9:34 PM

The part in the video [2:05] where Matt says,

[quote] He had many social circles, many different networks in the city, many different friendships ....

The police need to get out there and broadcast this reward to the rentboy network in the area.

by Anonymousreply 137June 29, 2023 9:35 PM

Not really^^ for a single man who presumably wanted his parents to inherit his estate. Intestate vs. will leads to the exact same result in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 138June 29, 2023 9:37 PM

R116, I have a feeling Gino and Jordan fucked after the interview. Jordan is kind of hot.

by Anonymousreply 139June 29, 2023 9:59 PM

Has anyone been following the thread about this on LSA? There was a poster claiming that he saw a video of Dr. Hoover and that he enjoyed rough trade, bbc in particular. Many of the posters there are blaming him for inviting young "thug" types into his home. All rumours, of course.

by Anonymousreply 140June 29, 2023 10:20 PM

Jordan and his husband Bradley appear very much in love.

by Anonymousreply 141June 29, 2023 10:27 PM

[quote] So the autopsy report and DNA results didn’t provide any clues.

About the DNA. .. It might be possible that the kit they did on his body may have actually confused the matter.

How? .. What if they found more than one sample? .. Two? Three? .. Let's hope there wasn't an orgy!

Something like that could actually provide the so-called "person of interest" reasonable doubt during trial.

I think there has to be a reason why the prosecution has made a point of having the police try to find the gun. (Good luck with that after this long!) I would guess it's because they think it's essential to their case that they link ownership-possession of the weapon to someone in particular, because the other physical evidence isn't enough by itself or is muddled somehow.

As the attorney (at link) points out, finding the weapon is usually only critical when the other evidence isn't strong enough by itself:

[quote] A big question that we have received recently is “Is a murder weapon necessary for conviction in a prosecution for murder or manslaughter?” The quick answer is no, a murder weapon is not necessary and neither is an actual body needed for a conviction on a homicide charge.

[quote] The murder weapon is helpful to the prosecution because it is extremely powerful evidence against the suspect. In addition to the weapon producing potential DNA or fingerprint evidence, it also potentially can sometimes produce an actual record of the suspect purchasing the weapon. These factors, as well as potentially finding the weapon in a suspect’s actual or constructive possession, are all strong examples of circumstantial evidence which is often necessary especially in cases where there is weak direct evidence (eyewitness or video).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 1, 2023 10:01 PM

I checked the FB group earlier this morning. A next door neighbor posed that the police never approached him about having his property searched in case the murder weapon was tossed over the fence onto his property. The older woman who was a close friend of Devon's said that she was outside the house 18 hours after Devon's body was discovered because she was waiting for his family. She says the crime scene wasn't taped off and cops weren't around. Several days ago, another friend posted that the DPD detectives are barely contacting Devon's closest friends and that a detective didn't show up for a scheduled interview. Some of those posts conflict with the AP's claims about DPD supposedly working hard on the case. There are people who are posting that the case should be turned over to the FBI or Michigan State Police.

The other stuff that went on the FB group was some people wanted to organize a prayer vigil at Devon's house. Devon's sister contacted a group mod and said that the HOA had concerns and that the family would be ok if a prayer vigil was done at another location. A guy who didn't know Devon wanted to organize a protest against DPD in which they people march to DPD precincts to demand justice for Devon. Someone suggested a protest outside Mayor Mike Duggan's house. The guy who wanted to organize protests later said a close friend of Devon's contacted him and said that the family didn't want attention drawn and he decided to no longer plan a protest. I'm impressed with one of Devon's female friends who calls out some of the classism in the group. She posted in response to the protest guy that if protests were to be killed that other murder victims should be acknowledged and not just Devon. She has posted similar things before. I find it odd that for all the bitching that goes in that group about DPD, Wayne County prosecutor's office, and Mike Duggan-- nobody ever suggests trying to contact the Michigan AG's office for possible assistance. But, they would probably bitch about Dana Nessel because she was an assistant Wayne County prosecutor years ago and a lot of them are very unhappy with Wayne County.

by Anonymousreply 143July 6, 2023 3:56 PM

Prayer vigils aren't going to solve the case.

They might do better to deputize 25 hot guys to get on Grindr and act as undercover operatives in the vicinity.

by Anonymousreply 144July 6, 2023 6:26 PM

Who’s more nuts, that FB moderator or R142 and R143? That’s not how the real world works. Y’all need to get away from your teevee procedurals and Dateline.

by Anonymousreply 145July 6, 2023 6:30 PM

You get the impression that what his friends want to say is "Police think he was killed by a trick and he wasn't." Maybe the family needs to authorize them to be completely candid. If his personal life didn't fit with the immediate speculation (particularly here) about rough trade, they should feel comfortable providing that clarification.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 6, 2023 6:44 PM

Even in that interview with Devon's gay-married buddy, Jordan, not once does he say that Devon was gay, nor does he give any kind of indication about what kind of sex life Devon had over the many years that he and his husband knew Devon. Any boyfriends? (Long-term or casual?) Random encounters, etc. Are we to believe, he was always the single, third or fifth wheel in their outings and travel adventures? .. Jordan doesn't really say much more than the all the other friends and associates we've heard from: Devon was a wonderful guy that everyone loved.

by Anonymousreply 147July 6, 2023 7:14 PM

It’s approaching 3 months. Why do I feel like someone is going to get away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 148July 10, 2023 11:39 PM

Did they drop this case after they realized he was a gay man ? We need to continue to fight for Devon’s justice. He was a mensch and so gifted. . 😭

by Anonymousreply 149July 10, 2023 11:47 PM

It seems like the only hope now is if the perpetrator blabs to another person who then cooperates. IIRC, the reward offered for information leading to an arrest was kind of small, chintzy. Has it increased? You'd think the hospital and some wealthy friends could come up with a more enticing amount.

by Anonymousreply 150July 10, 2023 11:47 PM

DPD's reward was 1k. The family along with friends set up a GoFundMe The goal is 20k and so far 17k has been raised.

by Anonymousreply 151July 10, 2023 11:53 PM

I'm surprised the hospital hasn't kicked in a generous amount.

by Anonymousreply 152July 11, 2023 12:17 AM

Some people on the Facebook groups were trying to do a social media campaigns to get the hospital to contribute to a reward fund.

by Anonymousreply 153July 11, 2023 1:53 AM

R151 In one of the interviews above, it was mentioned that they've actually surpassed the $20,000 goal, since donations came in from other sources apart from the GoFundMe.

by Anonymousreply 154July 11, 2023 2:04 AM

You can't even b uy a decent car with 20,000. His fucking "family and friends" and interested bystanders need to do better.

by Anonymousreply 155July 11, 2023 5:07 PM

The interested bystanders probably did $10-20 dollar donations and called it a day.

by Anonymousreply 156July 11, 2023 7:04 PM

[quote] Even in that interview with Devon's gay-married buddy, Jordan, not once does he say that Devon was gay, nor does he give any kind of indication about what kind of sex life Devon had over the many years that he and his husband knew Devon. Any boyfriends? (Long-term or casual?) Random encounters, etc. Are we to believe, he was always the single, third or fifth wheel in their outings and travel adventures? .. Jordan doesn't really say much more than the all the other friends and associates we've heard from: Devon was a wonderful guy that everyone loved.

I think Jordan is staying quiet on Devon's sex life and sexual orientation because of Devon's family. He may have seen some of the homophobic posts in the FB group as well.

by Anonymousreply 157July 11, 2023 7:08 PM

Because 55% of murderers do, R148.

by Anonymousreply 158July 11, 2023 7:12 PM

[quote] Does anyone think one of the cult members in Indiana came to the D and kilt him?

How 'bout the local cult he was getting involved with? The Fraternité Notre-Dame.

The nuns who sell baked goods at the market are one thing, but the "traditionalist Catholic" organization isn't recognized by the RCC, and some brand it a cult. Their local Detroit church restoration video on youtube shows a lot "brothers" doing construction work in their habits. These splinter groups attract strange people. Our victim was going to be hosting a fundraising event for them at his mansion on May 4, cancelled because of his murder on April 23.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 11, 2023 7:28 PM

Not addressing the elephant in the room kind of begs the question, Exactly which one of "the many social circles, many different networks in the city, and many different friendships" that Devon was part of do they expect someone to come forward from who can give them more information to use?

by Anonymousreply 160July 12, 2023 12:46 AM

Somebody knows something. The killer cannot did not and will not remain hidden. He will give himself away. Absolutely. In fact someone has a pretty good idea of who did it and they're really scared to step up. They may be scared of the perp.

by Anonymousreply 161July 12, 2023 2:47 AM

Can anyone speculate why such a beloved surgeon who apparently really helped patients, and was close to a miracle worker, got so badly shafted by his former employer? The employer he helped to raise and burnish its reputation in the area? Can't recall the name. Advent? Catholic?

Something smells slightly undercooked.

by Anonymousreply 162July 12, 2023 2:56 AM

You pretty much precisely read my mind, r162. I'd thought maybe Adventists may have Catholic relations, but NO! Totally the opposite.

It seems he was affiliated with a hospital/religion reasons, but Adventists are truly crazy. Do no wonder they no longer care. But, they'll be open-palmed if he left the fuckers any cash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 12, 2023 4:20 AM

Good friend of my older brother's married one of those 7th Day people and when he developed lung cancer things got real nuts. Then he died.

by Anonymousreply 164July 12, 2023 12:57 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 15, 2023 4:30 AM

It’s going to come back to - what others have already said - rough trade.

by Anonymousreply 166July 17, 2023 11:46 PM

@r165, that was a handsome hand surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 167July 18, 2023 12:24 AM

I haven't gone to the "Justice" page for a long, but it seems like there are quite a few loons over there ..lol

The only thing I found of interest was a link to another FB page that profiled what the house looked like back in 1998.

The poster documents historical Detroit, and he did an item on the house in 2019. Back then, he put up 18 photos that had been taken from a catalog writing:

[quote] Designed by Albert Kahn for Benjamin Siegel. 150 West Boston Boulevard built 1913-1914 Boston-Edison Historic District, Detroit, MI. Includes images from the 1998 Detroit Historical Society Designer Show House Catalog.

Below is the photo of the floorplan for the three levels that was included in the catalog. There's a rather large room that was once used as an art studio on the third floor (attic level). It looks like they were set up to do tours with a gift shop in the carriage house and an outdoor tent for a cafe.

If you're interested in seeing more of the inside of the house and have FB, the link to that page with all the photos is in the next post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 18, 2023 10:27 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2023 10:27 PM

Thanks R169. The opulence is staggering! Oh, to be wealthy enough to really live like this! Damn.

by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2023 1:07 AM

Any chance to make this accessible for non FB owning Meta haters?

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2023 10:53 AM

R167, not only was he handsome, but he had the most beautiful eyes (other pics of him on the internets).

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2023 11:32 AM

R171 You're in luck. .. I was able to find the original 1998 Catalog with floorplan and same photos at the Historic Detroit website as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2023 11:34 AM

Thanks R171, love you.

by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2023 11:35 AM

How one can live alone in such a giant house is beyond me. I would feel unsafe.

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2023 11:37 AM

Apparently he was, in fact, unsafe!

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2023 1:23 PM

I would have famous art people come to stay and give Seminars and host parties, and all kinds of wonderful things, and I would have servants. Lots of them.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2023 1:39 PM

It would also make a good porn studio house, with room for about 15-20 guys to stay there at any given time, and lots of interesting places to film scenes.

by Anonymousreply 178July 19, 2023 9:20 PM

R172 Why is it always the hotties getting knocked off.

by Anonymousreply 179July 19, 2023 11:50 PM

R179, I guess it's because God needed more hotties in heaven (as eye candy).

by Anonymousreply 180July 20, 2023 5:09 PM

Three months.

by Anonymousreply 181July 24, 2023 7:21 AM

News story about volunteers passing out flyers/canvassing around the neighborhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 24, 2023 1:50 PM

Pride Source has an article on Hoover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 27, 2023 2:19 AM

The Justice FB group continues to be a clusterfuck group. It's filled with a lot of infighting. The latest drama involves a few posters who knew Devon and have been involved with the Crime Stoppers group that has been canvassing areas in Detroit to put up flyers. The Crime Stoppers group was putting up flyers near or in gay bars and that pissed off some people in the FB group. There's some theory/rumor going around in the group about a funeral home owner who lives in the neighborhood or area being involved in the murder because he wanted to get access to Devon's possessions or the house. Hard to follow what the theory exactly is because there's a bunch of posts/threads on the group.

by Anonymousreply 184August 3, 2023 6:06 PM

R184 Yeah, I was going to post about that guy on the FB group a couple weeks ago, but didn't even know where to begin LOL! It's so hard to follow. What's hjs name? "Jeff" ?? He seems to claim that the murderer is a neighbor. I believe he wrote once that the perp lives over on Arden Park Blvd, which is just a few blocks away from Devon's house. He's referred to the guy as a stalker, and as you've indicated, claims his motive was financial. He's also written that this neighbor is "connected" and hired a hit man to kill Devon. Something like that. As I recall, he also goes on about the politics of the Detroit Police Board and why the case isn't being investigated properly or moving forward. Of course, this plays well on the Justice page.

I did notice in one post that Devon's friend, Jordan -- someone who we actually know was his friend -- challenged this guy once and told him that if he actually knows something to take it to the authorities, otherwise stop blowing hot air. Something on that order.

by Anonymousreply 185August 3, 2023 6:36 PM

There have been times I have wondered if Jeff and the infamous AP are the same person. They both post about issues with/criticism of DPD and the prosecutor's office. The AP however as far as I have seen has never hinted at a neighbor being the killer. That's why I sort of don't think they are the same person. I feel sorry for Jordan and the older woman Carol who was a friend of Devon. They seem to try and base things off what it's known in the case and don't push things are speculation/rumors. But, they are still dealing with seeing weird stuff or unsubstantiated things being posted by "Jeff", the AP, and others in that group. The stuff is hard to follow and Jeff posted something about the funeral home owners saying that they wanted to own Devon's house and sell the things in it.

There's another poster "Douglas" who is annoying. He says he knew Devon because he worked at a restaurant/bar where Devon frequented Douglas. He claimed that he and Devon never became close friends because they worked opposite schedules. He says that they had mutual friends. Douglas said that he used to cruise in the same area, he never saw Devon. In one post, he said that it was distasteful that the "AP" was posting Devon's personal business. It was funny how Douglas could post about not seeing Devon cruising, but somehow it wasn't ok for the AP to post certain things. The group is moderated in a such piss poor manner in which some people get hand slapped for things and others don't. Douglas has been involved in the canvassing and posting of flyers. He comes off as quite smug and condescending towards some of the people in the FB group about it. Something just doesn't smell right about Douglas, Jeff, or the AP. I think they are just posting shit out of their asses. My take is Douglas is someone who wishes he had been close friends with Devon, but wasn't and is desperate to be seen as "gung ho justice warrior" in the group.

Again, I feel sorry for Jordan, Carol, and the other woman Michelle who appears to have been a good friend of Devon. They all trying their best to make sense of things, but have to contend with the fuckery going on in that group. I wouldn't be surprised if the group gets shut down by Facebook. Some of the people are posting shit that may or may not be true and I wonder if someone DPD watches that group. There was a poster there sometime back who was suggesting that a protest be done outside the mayor's house. I thought the suggestion was stupid. While people are entitled to disagree with elected officials on things, suggesting that protests be done outside their homes during the off time isn't appropriate imo. I do think some people in the group at times mean well, but they don't see that some of the things they suggest aren't great in practice.

by Anonymousreply 186August 3, 2023 8:17 PM

I was banned from group r186, and probably due to my interactions with “Anonymous Poster “ this person seemed to actually want to hurt Devon . Hell, he could be the murderer. Something not right with this guy

by Anonymousreply 187August 3, 2023 10:10 PM

I don't get why that AP is protected in that group when some of the things he claims sound like bullshit or they don't come true like the supposed DPD press conference that never happened. It all comes back to shitty moderation. I have wondered if some of the posts by the AP and "Jeff" could possibly fuck up the investigation for DPD and the prosecutor's office.

by Anonymousreply 188August 3, 2023 11:49 PM

There is a woman who challenging Jeff on his claims about the funeral home neighbors being involved.

by Anonymousreply 189August 4, 2023 3:07 AM

Also, Jeff and others are saying that DPD is homophobic. Law enforcement agencies in many American communities are indeed homophobic, I'm not doubting that. For all the whining that goes in that group about homophobia and the police, none of them ever suggest trying to contact elected officials in the state about the issues with law enforcement agencies and how LGBT communities are treated in Michigan. The attorney general is a lesbian, there are two gay men serving in Michigan state house and there's a gay state senator. Also, add in that Governor Gretchen Whitmer is the mother of a lesbian and has been doing her best in trying to help the gay and lesbian communities when it comes to discrimination. The people in that group don't even attempt to acknowledge other social issues involving gays and lesbians. I think classism is indeed an issue in that group, but they won't admit to and they also won't admit their own ignorance of other issues faced by gays and lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 190August 4, 2023 3:18 AM

I checked out the FB group and there are a few more people who questioning the funeral home guy plot. I feel sorry for one woman because knowing some of the people in that group they will rip into her.

by Anonymousreply 191August 5, 2023 2:40 PM

Since I've given up on the Justice page, perhaps I've missed something, but one thing that "Jeff's" neighbor and hit man theory didn't seem to cover has to do with sex.

According to the coroner's report, they ordered a "rape kit" be done on Devon. .. Don't they only do that when there's evidence on the body that sex occurred (regardless of whether it was rape or consensual)?

by Anonymousreply 192August 5, 2023 8:32 PM

[quote]Don't they only do that when there's evidence on the body that sex occurred (regardless of whether it was rape or consensual)?

He was murdered while naked and was known to have sex with men, so in his case a rape kit would've been standard (unless the investigators were idiots).

by Anonymousreply 193August 5, 2023 8:54 PM

In Jeff's posts he said something about Devon's murder being framed/staged to look like a "gay domestic entanglement" and that the murder was probably set up to as "gay as possible" to make people uncomfortable to trigger victim-blaming and reduce the chances of the police trying to solve the crime.

One of the reasons, I keep reading and the Justice FB group is because I'm curious if some of the stuff Jeff, the AP, and few other people post will backfire on them in a legal sense. I think the AP posted a lot of bullshit, but to his credit, he stayed vague on a lot of things and I don't think he ever posted anything directly about the neighbor and the hit man plot theory. He did say something along the lines of someone constantly contacting Devon. Jeff has posted things in a more direct sense and I wonder if he could end up being sued for libel due to the stuff he's posting. Another thing I wonder about is let's say people get arrested and charged, would it be possible for a defense attorney to use the Facebook posts by Jeff and others against the prosecution and say that investigation was tainted?

The group started off with well-meaning intentions. But, it's turned into a shit show and those mods are worse than the people who moderate Websleuths and crime-related subreddits on Reddit. Journalists have posted quotes taken directly from the FB group in articles. Someone in LE has to be watching that group.

by Anonymousreply 194August 6, 2023 12:07 AM

Jeff gave enough info about the guy, so that people there are actually naming the funeral home neighbor now. The story is that he used to own Devon's house and wanted it back. And actually, it's become "funeral home men" with the idea that there's a second funeral home guy who was part of the scheme.

by Anonymousreply 195August 6, 2023 12:48 AM

Anyone else banned by the facebook group?

by Anonymousreply 196August 6, 2023 12:52 AM

[quote] I guess she was too big to share his bed.

r3 Why can't you share your bed? The most loving thing to do is to share your bed with someone. It's very charming. It's very sweet. It's what the whole world should do.

by Anonymousreply 197August 6, 2023 1:17 AM

R195, that sounds like another example of misguided online sleuths upending people’s lives with baseless criminal allegations.

by Anonymousreply 198August 6, 2023 1:29 AM

Reading some of the posts in that group sort of reminds of the Sunil Tripathi reddit debacle that happened with law enforcement were trying to find the Boston Marathon bombers.

by Anonymousreply 199August 6, 2023 2:55 AM

[quote] Jeff gave enough info about the guy, so that people there are actually naming the funeral home neighbor now. The story is that he used to own Devon's house and wanted it back. And actually, it's become "funeral home men" with the idea that there's a second funeral home guy who was part of the scheme.

He also posted a picture of a gathering where the neighbor was sitting next to Devon.

by Anonymousreply 200August 6, 2023 2:57 AM

So Jeff's position is that this is a crime of envy, covetousness, and greed?

Is it also gay on gay crime?

by Anonymousreply 201August 6, 2023 10:09 PM

In one of Jeff's posts, he said that one of the guys involved in the supposed plot preys on vulnerable gay men and that the guy was keeping Devon around for that purpose.

by Anonymousreply 202August 7, 2023 2:37 AM

Is this fag still dead?

by Anonymousreply 203August 7, 2023 2:47 AM

A woman posted yesterday about driving by his house and seeing furniture loaded onto a trailer and the dumpster was in the driveway. That post of course caused a little bit of quarrelling because one poster said that the Mennonite family wouldn't be moving out things on a Sunday and thought something shady was going on. A few people who are neighbors or friends have said that the family is there. The mention of the dumpster made people wonder if the family was throwing out the art collection and other things. I'm going to guess the dumpster was probably to throw household supplies, gardening stuff, and other things may not be of value.

Someone mentioned that if there's a mortgage to be paid, the bank likely wants the house to be vacated. Someone here mentioned that records indicated Devon refinanced the house for a loan last year. There are FB posters who mentioned that there was no will. From what I saw none of the posters know about the home being refinanced. I have wondered if he got himself into debt and was possibly cash poor.

by Anonymousreply 204August 7, 2023 7:02 PM

R204 I'm the one (here) who found the probate court record indicating Devon had no will. Because of that, per Michigan law, everything should go to his dad . The only assets that wouldn't, would be something like a bank or investment account where he specifically named someone else as "a joint tenant with right to survivorship." But dad is the one who went to court and named the personal representative and attorney for the estate.

I'm also the one who found mortgage loan that Devon did in 2022. I wouldn't read too much into that. People refinance their house all the time just to get a better rate. .. His house at that point in time was said to be worth nearly $1.5 million, yet his loan was only for $560K. So it would appear that he already has quite a bit of equity in the home to work with, if needed. And dad will certainly inherit that equity, because the house is listed solely in Devon's name as "a single man."

Also, the bank doesn't care if the house is vacated. As long as someone is paying the mortgage, that's all they care about. As I recall, the probate court record listed an attorney located in Michigan who's taking care of things like debts on behalf of the personal representative.

by Anonymousreply 205August 7, 2023 9:40 PM

Just to add ... Things should probably move fairly quickly on Devon's estate, because dad requested and was granted "informal probate," which means as long as they fill out the standard Uniform Probate Code paperwork correctly, there will be very little court oversight.

The Personal Representative (the husband to one of Devon's nieces) already received his Letters of Authority way back on May 12. That should allow him access to Devon's bank accounts as well as give him the authority to sell the house (if that's what dad wants).

by Anonymousreply 206August 7, 2023 10:00 PM

Is this ever going to be solved? Don’t cold cases get worse with time.

by Anonymousreply 207August 9, 2023 9:54 PM

R207- You never know if a case will be solved, but it isn't looking very hopeful. I backed away from this case for a couple of weeks and I couldn't believe it still hasn't been solved.

by Anonymousreply 208August 9, 2023 10:12 PM

We’ve seen this over and over—many cases aren’t solved until there’s political pressure. (You can see that in the HBO documentary “Last Call.”) Some murders are solved only because family members never stop demanding answers.

by Anonymousreply 209August 9, 2023 11:13 PM

Strong "He could have been a datalounger vibes"

by Anonymousreply 210August 10, 2023 5:15 AM

Given his vocation and avocations, I think Devon had higher aspirations in life than pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 211August 10, 2023 5:28 AM

R209 Yeah, I think the case will come down to political pressure with the City of Detroit and Wayne County prosecutor's office. Even though it was mentioned that Devon's family didn't want any kind of protests to be done. I wouldn't put past some of his friends and patients to end up having some kind of protest at the city hall, the prosecutor's office, and the police headquarters.

by Anonymousreply 212August 10, 2023 5:44 AM

Cowin's actually one of the people interviewed by CBS Detroit in this recent news report on what's not happening in the case.

I notice Cowin doesn't say anything about the theory he puts up on Facebook, and lets the other guy do most of the talking. (Of course, maybe he did, and the producer cut it, saying we can't broadcast THAT.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 14, 2023 8:35 AM

Yeah, if Jeff or Brian mentioned the neighbor/hitman theory to the producer and reporter, there was no way it would air due to legal reasons. The other guy Brian is an oddball on the FB group. There were a couple of posts where he said he wasn't close friends with Devon due to his work schedule and that they had mutual friends. Yet, in later posts on the FB group and in the news interview he acts like he was close friends with Devon. Jeff had a long post a couple of days back on the FB group about "how he feels like the recent headlines aren't hitting the mark" and that they need to "get on message as a team". He did his usual rants about DPD and mentioned wanting to reference an internal affairs investigation. He then says a private meeting should be held so they could "unify our message" and "use the media outlets to Devon's advantage. "

A reporter from The Detroit News posted a few days back about working on a story about the case and wanting to talk to people who knew Devon. I have seen articles that directly reference/quote things from the FB group. I wonder if some journalists have looked around in that group and then got the fuck out once they saw the infighting and other crazy drama that goes on in that group. Some of the more reasonable people in Devon's circles don't post that much anymore. My take is that they got tired of the Brian and Jeff show and other drama going on. They also probably see some of the activity in that group as a major legal issue waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 214August 14, 2023 11:03 AM

Latest from the FB drama group

-There are several posts in which they discuss wanting to set up a gofundme to hire a private detective. The usual bitching about Detroit PD is tossed in. Several people have contacted Dateline and one person showed the email she sent. I have a feeling Devon's family will refuse to have Dateline look into the case. They did tell one of Devon's friends that they didn't want people protesting outside the mayor's house or office. I think they want justice, but they don't want a lot of media attention.

by Anonymousreply 215August 19, 2023 4:16 AM

I haven't been to the "Justice" group for several weeks. .. It's gone "private" now?? .. Hmmm, I won't be joining, so thanks for the update(s) on the crazy there .. lol!

by Anonymousreply 216August 19, 2023 10:50 PM

R216 I just noticed that it's set to private. Several days ago, I did notice the mods turned off commenting when someone posted a question about Devon's neighbors. A few comments were posted before the commenting was turnoff. I'm guessing the mods/admins have finally realized that a good amount of things posted in that group can lead to legal issues. A part of me wonders if some of the stuff posted in that group hindered DPD's investigation.

by Anonymousreply 217August 20, 2023 1:00 AM

If someone isn't willing provide a tip to claim the additional reward money, why would they talk to a private dick for nothing?

by Anonymousreply 218August 20, 2023 9:22 PM

From what I've seen in the FB group, a good amount of the posters have the belief/attitude that a private investigator firm will have more time and resources to devote to Hoover's case than DPD does and they have said that DPD was incompetent because the house wasn't taped off with crime scene tape, the break in incident, and that the police didn't talk to the neighbors right after Hoover's body was discovered. There are posters in the group who also believe that DPD is homophobic and dropped the ball because Hoover way gay. I think their concerns are valid because let's face it law enforcement agencies can do crappy work and corruption and biases still go in law enforcement.

But, it's difficult at times to sympathize with people in that group because some of them have outright posted things like, "Dr. Hoover wasn't just anyone and DPD isn't doing enough". Stuff like that is a turn-off because they are basically saying in their view that Hoover was more important than other crime victims because of his job and that his case deserves some kind of VIP treatment. I'll probably sound like an asshole for this, but I get the feeling some of the people in that FB group are Karen types in various public settings. Classism is an issue with some of those people and they will likely never own to their classist views. The way some of the group members shit on the prosecutor also annoys me at times because they ignore the fact that sometimes prosecutors' hands are tied due to technicalities and other legal issues. The prosecutor may very well need more evidence to have a slam dunk case, But, if the police botched the investigation when it came to evidence or they just can't locate things then I don't get why people have to shit on the prosecutor for things that he or she may not be in total control of.

by Anonymousreply 219August 20, 2023 11:01 PM

They are never going to solve this case. Devon died just wearing a black sock for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 220August 21, 2023 3:06 AM

Instead of a Gofundme to hire a private detective, maybe they should think about hiring a psychic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 21, 2023 6:27 AM

Live panel right now from a decent crime channel I often watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222August 23, 2023 4:46 PM

Just finished watching, nothing new, consisted mostly of ex Detroit police chief recounting his best cases. Family and friends declined to participate.

by Anonymousreply 223August 23, 2023 6:01 PM

It would be interesting to know if the coroner and/or forensics found any other DNA on Hoover's body or any of the (three) materials that his body was wrapped in.

Do they have someone following the so-called "person of interest" around or going through (his) trash to try to collect some DNA from a discarded coffee cup or something?

by Anonymousreply 224August 23, 2023 8:02 PM

An inventory summary has been filed with the court now, and the value of his estate is put at $2.93 million.

Since he obtained a $560K mortgage on the Boston-Edison property in 2022, his equity there might be estimated to be around that same amount or a little higher. (Zillow puts the value of that property at $1.0 million, which seems a little low, imho; however a murder has been committed there, so that could eventually affect sales price the other way.)

In any event. the remaining (approximate) $2.3 million would be other assets, possessions, property, etc. that he owned.

by Anonymousreply 225August 23, 2023 10:34 PM

[quote]How 'bout the local cult he was getting involved with? The Fraternité Notre-Dame.

[quote] The nuns who sell baked goods at the market are one thing, but the "traditionalist Catholic" organization isn't recognized by the RCC, and some brand it a cult. Their local Detroit church restoration video on youtube shows a lot "brothers" doing construction work in their habits. These splinter groups attract strange people. Our victim was going to be hosting a fundraising event for them at his mansion on May 4, cancelled because of his murder on April 23.

He was probably duped by the nuns or other people in that group.

by Anonymousreply 226August 28, 2023 7:24 PM

An update on the case. Jeff from the FB group along with a patient of Hoover's attended a board of police commissioners meeting and the police chief is now saying that they will be making an announcement regarding a suspect "before snow hits the ground". It's interesting how Jeff plays dumb with the media and tells reporters that he and the other neighbors "have no idea what the motive could be". Yet, on the FB group he posted his theory on the motive.

I feel like an asshole for saying this, but the patient who speaks in the interview annoys me a bit. She comes off as an entitled white lady saying she wishes she knew what kind of information they police had and aren't sharing. It's like she basically has the attitude that the police should be releasing info on the case even though it's an ongoing investigation. If one of Hoover's relatives said something like that it would be more understandable because it's a family member. This woman was a patient of Hoover and might have just been that. I get that she liked Hoover and the descriptions from review sites do show that he listened to patients and was deeply concerned for them which doesn't always happen in healthcare. But, there should be boundaries when it comes to patients and their doctors. Again, I'm probably an asshole for this, but I would bet good money that the patient is the type who typically doesn't give a shit about poor people or other minorities getting murdered or being victims of other crimes in Detroit. She only cares about this situation because Hoover was her doctor.

I would love it if a journalist wrote a book on this case, but focused on the classist attitudes of the majority of Hoover's friends and patients. Their classist and "Dr Hoover wasn't just anyone" posts on the FB group have rubbed me the wrong way. I suspect they embellish certain things about Hoover on the FB group. There's one young woman who has posted about Hoover being a humanitarian, but the charities he was known to regularly support were that Catholic type offshoot group and the Detroit opera. He wasn't serving meals in soup kitchens or donating money to organizations that help inner-city kids. Hoover was entitled to do whatever the fuck he wanted with his money. But, it's still annoying how some of the posters on the FB group act like he was some kind of saint who law enforcement should be giving VIP treatment to. Yes, Hoover's family deserves justice, but so do the families of other murder victims. Again, just wish someone like maybe Jon Krakauer would write a book on this case, but focused on the classism part and how Hoover's case is very likely being treated differently due to his job and the people in the neighborhood he lived in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 1, 2023 7:16 PM

I think many of Devon's female patients suffer from some form of doctor-patient De Clerambault Syndrome where they fell in love with their doctor and thought it was mutual, so they developed some kind of fantasy relationship with him.

He was a fit, good-looking, successful man. There are so many stories of how kind, understanding and empathetic he was. Sometimes that's all it takes and the patient thinks, "He's the only one who truly cares about me and what I'm going through." Then, he has to touch them during the exams.

by Anonymousreply 228September 1, 2023 7:54 PM

R228 I get that vibe from a good amount of the female patients who have posted in the FB group. Some of their posts remind me of Hallmark movie-type cringe stuff. The AP was annoying as fuck, but he did throw some shade at the patients in the group. He posted something about how some people in the group knew Devon as "Dr. Hoover" and he knew him as Devon. I think he was trying to drive in the fact that the patients weren't Hoover's friends and the relationships were professional/medical-based.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff is basically using that patient and other patients as props in his dealings with the media.

by Anonymousreply 229September 1, 2023 9:24 PM

Have posted this before, but saying again that the police know who killed him, but don't have enough direct evidence to convict him. For salacious reasons, just wish we knew his name so that we could google stalk him and dish.

by Anonymousreply 230September 2, 2023 4:56 PM

R230 So I guess now that we are going into the 5th month, and minimal updates and little progress, who ever did it, is going to get away with murder. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 231September 20, 2023 3:45 AM

The Detroit Police are hoping it doesn't snow this winter.

by Anonymousreply 232September 20, 2023 7:29 PM

Family gives first interview with the Detroit Free Press at link

Some interesting information within by Devon's 81-year old friend, Carol Goves, whom he had dinner with the evening (presumably) before the murder took place. She's also someone who noticed hat that house had been left unsecured by DPD and filed a complaint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233September 25, 2023 12:34 AM

R233 It's behind a paywall. I remember Carol's post on the FB group about the house not being secured when she waiting outside for Devon's family to arrive. I liked Carol on the FB group, she and the other friend Jordan's posts were always polite and they seemed to only base info on what was known about the case.

by Anonymousreply 234September 25, 2023 3:42 PM

R234 Okay, thanks for letting me know. I read the article free yesterday, so perhaps Detroit Free Press goes paywall after so many days.

Anyway, see if you can read it at this archive.ph, non-paywall link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 25, 2023 7:04 PM

Thank you R233

by Anonymousreply 236September 25, 2023 8:03 PM

One thing I notice in the sisters' email to the Detroit Free Press, they write:

[quote] If we could speak to the perpetrators of this horrendous crime ... we would simply say, "Why? Please tell us, What have you gained?"

"Perpetrators" plural.

I wonder if that was just some kind of a catch-all, or whether they're actually privy to info from the DPD that there was more than one person at the murder itself and/or other evidence that some accomplice is involved.

by Anonymousreply 237September 25, 2023 8:49 PM

Hey DL guys - Dr. Hoover’s house is officially on the market now. $2.5M

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 6, 2023 10:10 PM

R238 Should we get a group together to go to the open house and look for clues? Maybe we can provide some assistance to the DPD. People are still saying that it’s related to rough trade.

by Anonymousreply 239October 6, 2023 10:14 PM

At least the family chose a gay real estate agent. Perhaps they're hoping Mr. Black can find a gay buyer who will have Devon's same passion for restoring and maintaining pretty things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240October 7, 2023 9:30 PM

The real estate listing made it to Newsweek.

They add:

[quote] Real estate agents expect a combination of market factors and the story behind the home could cause the house to be sold for a discount, however. .. "It's a big house and not everybody can afford it," Tom Nanes, of Community Choice Realty told Realtor.com. "Right now, the market is bipolar. It's all over the place." .. And since homebuyers will know of the tragedy that took place within the mansion, they might not be as eager to fork over their money. .. "This may be too soon for the creepy factor," Names said. "Some people like notoriety. Some people can't deal with it."

And they include a quote within from Cowin:

[quote] "This man is nonconfrontational. He wouldn't even evict a tenant who hadn't paid in a year. This man had no enemies," Hoover's neighbor Jeff Cowin told ABC affiliate WXYZ.

I've heard elsewhere that Newsweek has really gone downhill, but they can't even find a photo of the actual house to attach to the article?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241October 15, 2023 7:21 AM

Newsweek is garbage.

I think Hoover's house will be vacant for the rest of the year. It will probably get sold sometime in the next year or so. I actually feel sorry for whoever who ends up buying it because they will have that asswipe Jeff as a neighbor. I love how Jeff posted theories/rumors regarding the motive on the Facebook group. But, when it comes to the actual media he plays dumb and says he doesn't know why Hoover was killed.

by Anonymousreply 242October 15, 2023 1:42 PM

I just checked the FB group. I was traveling recently and hadn't checked that a group in a few weeks. It seems that one of the mods posts as an "Anonymous Member" and he or she was recently asking that people only post things from reputable or accurate sources. The Anonymous Member mentioned issues with misinformation within the group. Also, that annoying blowhard Brian posted recently that he believes the killer and the killer's associates are watching the group. I can't stand that guy because he along with annoying asswipe Jeff have posted tons of things that named the guy they suspect is involved. Now, he's basically lecturing people on being careful about what's being posted. I also can't stand a particular young woman poster who is always condescending in her posts regarding Hoover and the DPD. I think she's someone who was in love with Hoover, but won't ever admit to it. She's almost as bad as Jeff and Brian.

by Anonymousreply 243October 15, 2023 5:06 PM

The other usual shit going on in the FB group is constant bitching about DPD and how they are going to hold the police chief accountable. I know law enforcement sucks in many areas, but the way the people in the group expect DPD to bend to their will annoys the fuck out of me. We all know most of the people in that FB group could care less about the poor and minorities who get killed in Detroit and whose murders are never solved.

by Anonymousreply 244October 15, 2023 5:09 PM

If one reads between the lines, the Wayne County district attorney's office (for Detroit) is directing some of this, if not the whole thing. It sounds like the police have a suspect, but it also sounds like the DA feels that they can't win a case against this person, based on the (circumstantial) evidence brought forward.

That $20,000 reward for information has been out there for a couple of months now, and what have they gained from that? I'm guessing nothing substantial.

The DA isn't going to waste time, resources, and money on trying to prove something to a jury, if they think the defendant will get off due to there being enough reasonable doubt. If that happened, we'd then have the presumed killer being found "not guilty" in actual court of law.

Meanwhile, the angry Fraubook mob is ready to lynch as soon as they get a name.

by Anonymousreply 245October 15, 2023 7:51 PM

I think the Fraubook mob mostly consists of upper middle class white people who are used to having things go their way.

by Anonymousreply 246October 15, 2023 8:41 PM

What was Jeff the neighbor's theory/rumors posted on FB? Am too tired to read this whole thread:)

by Anonymousreply 247October 15, 2023 9:01 PM

Jeff's theory is that the neighbor wanted to own Hoover's house and possibly gain access to the items in the house.

by Anonymousreply 248October 15, 2023 9:32 PM

The Newsweek article refers to Jeff as a "neighbor," but to clarify, he lives over a mile and a half away from Devon's home. Devon's actual friend, Jordan, basically told Jeff that if he had actual evidence, then take it to the police or shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 249October 15, 2023 10:20 PM

I got the vibe from the group that some of the people were acquaintances of Devon, but acted like they were close friends with him.

by Anonymousreply 250October 15, 2023 10:46 PM

Someone needs to tell those Frau patients that Dr. Hoover placing his hands on their neck or spine during a medical examination was not a proposal of marriage.

by Anonymousreply 251October 16, 2023 12:32 AM

A lot of the things the frau patients posted on the FB group made me cringe. The frau patients are typical upper middle class white women who act like certain norms or boundaries don't apply to them. I also remember a post from a male patient who said that he had gone to an appointment at Hoover's office. The guy said that he and his wife had been curious if Hoover was married. The guy said that he asked Hoover at the office if he was married. The patient said Hoover didn't answer yes or no and that employees in the office laughed. My take is Hoover was out with people who worked alongside him. He may have not wanted to be out with patients out of fear of some of them and going to complain to the hospital or practice administration.

I would say a good amount of Hoover's patients and probably some of his straight friends/acquaintances had no fucking clue that for many years there weren't many civil rights protections for gays and lesbians in Michigan. The state legislature only expanded the Elliot Larsen Civil Rights Act to the LGBT communities last March shortly before Hoover was killed.

I also found it funny in a way how Jeff and others kept posting in the FB group that the Detroit police department is homophobic and supposedly they weren't working hard enough on Hoover's case. If Jeff and others in the group were concerned about that then they should have been trying to contact their state reps, state senators, or the AG's office regarding those supposed issues with the police being homophobic. Overall, Jeff and some of them are just blowhards who are clueless on a lot of things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252October 16, 2023 8:47 PM

I have a feeling the synagogue president’s murder won’t be solved either.

by Anonymousreply 253October 22, 2023 10:52 PM

Six months.

by Anonymousreply 254October 22, 2023 11:00 PM

I'm betting some of the people in the Justice for Dr. Hoover FB group are pissed because Mayor Mike Duggan, Dana Nessel, Elissa Slotkin and other elected officials have released statements on Samantha Woll's murder in news articles and on social media. Recently, people in the group claimed that. Hoover had close ties with several politicians and other wealthy people in Detroit and according to those group members. They complained about how "none politicians or wealthy people have commented on Hoover's death." There had been people whining prior to that about how Duggan didn't comment on Hoover's death

A few of the politicians who have commented on Woll's death posted pictures of her at their campaign events and she had worked as an aide to Slotkin years before. If she was very active and pounding the pavement for politicians, then it's understandable why elected officials are commenting on her death to the media. I'm going to be watching the FB group because I won't be surprised if some people start whining about coverage of Woll's murder because it will mean Hoover's case is sort on the back burner.

by Anonymousreply 255October 22, 2023 11:58 PM

Jeff posted today and he and others seem unhappy about how DPD called in the FBI and Michigan State Police for assistance in the Samantha Woll case. He doesn't outright say it. But, you get the feeling from the tone of his post. He's basically urging people in the group to contact the Michigan AG's office to "call out DPD for mishandling Hoover's case". I find it funny how for a while he, Brian, and others had been whining about DPD, but back then none of them thought about contacting the AG's office. Now, he wants everyone to contact the AG'S office. It's a little too late.

by Anonymousreply 256October 23, 2023 8:02 PM

Because of what's going on in Israel right now, I think the DPD almost had to work with the FBI in order to determine whether or not the Woll case was a hate crime, which is something the FBI gets involved with. .. I believe they've now ruled that out(?). .. But one can guess that the national media would not have let up on the hate crime question until some kind of determination was made.

Some would, of course, say Devon being gay might suggest a hate crime, but that would only fly if the crime scene or person-of-interest read homophobic. But if there was no evidence of that, then on what basis do they involve the FBI? .. Let's face it, gay people do get murdered in domestics and robberies, and these don't meet the definition of hate crimes. .. Plus, even Jeff's own theory about the murder doesn't suggest hate crime. As I understand it, the motive according to him has something to do with envy, covetousness, and greed. Deadly sins, but not hate crimes.

by Anonymousreply 257October 23, 2023 9:57 PM

[quote] Because of what's going on in Israel right now, I think the DPD almost had to work with the FBI in order to determine whether or not the Woll case was a hate crime, which is something the FBI gets involved with. .. I believe they've now ruled that out(?). .. But one can guess that the national media would not have let up on the hate crime question until some kind of determination was made.

[quote] Some would, of course, say Devon being gay might suggest a hate crime, but that would only fly if the crime scene or person-of-interest read homophobic. But if there was no evidence of that, then on what basis do they involve the FBI? .. Let's face it, gay people do get murdered in domestics and robberies, and these don't meet the definition of hate crimes. .. Plus, even Jeff's own theory about the murder doesn't suggest hate crime. As I understand it, the motive according to him has something to do with envy, covetousness, and greed. Deadly sins, but not hate crimes.

The recent articles on the Woll case have stated the FBI ruled out it being a hate crime. Jeff as usual is being a blowhard. In one of his recent posts, he said something along the lines "that the community outrage over Hoover's murder must have set the stage for DPD seeking assistance from other agencies". I also think the Israel conflict and anti-semitism issues were the reasons why DPD called in the FBI for assistance. Hoover's case might have had zero impact on DPD's handling of the Woll case. Jeff is telling people in the group to contact the AG's office and "request that the AG have the FBI office in Detroit investigate all the violent crimes in Detroit until the DPD homicide unit is overhauled." He and the others will probably go on a bitch fest towards Nessel once they find out there's zero chance that she can make the FBI get involved in investigating all Detroit homicides.

Yes, Jeff's theory is that the motive for Hoover's murder was greed and that the supposed perp wanted to own Devon's house. He did say in one post that the people involved in Devon's murder tried to make the scene look "as gay as possible" in order to induce homophobia and victim blaming with the cops. Others kept saying that DPD has a history of homophobia. That's actually common with law enforcement agencies. But, who the fuck really knows if homophobia was a factor in the DPD mishandling Hoover's case. It could have just been incompetent police work. and nothing to do with homophobia The FB group will be interesting to watch especially if an arrest is made in the Woll case before the Hoover case.

by Anonymousreply 258October 24, 2023 3:15 AM

[quote] ... and the police chief is now saying that they will be making an announcement regarding a suspect "before snow hits the ground".

There's a chance of snow this evening in Detroit. Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 259October 31, 2023 7:47 PM

The police chief was a moron to make that kind of promise. If another high profile murder case happens before the end of the year, Hoover's case will likely end up on the media back burner.

by Anonymousreply 260October 31, 2023 9:36 PM

[quote] If another high profile murder case happens before the end of the year

I imagine the murdered rabbi case might already be in that slot; especially since both state and federal authorities got involved, which one would think lends some kind of oversight and a push for it to be front burner.

by Anonymousreply 261October 31, 2023 11:08 PM

It snowed in Detroit yesterday and some of the people in the FB group posted things "time"s up", "snow has fallen" "where's the statement Chief White" and similar statements. I figured the police chief's comments "before snow hits the ground" were being done as a lame attempt to appease Jeff Cowin and the others who had been slamming the police department.

I don't think Hoover was a high profile as people in the FB group have made him out to be. There were people in the group pretty much swearing up and down that Hoover had close ties to politicians. One woman said that she was a caterer for an event at Hoover's house years ago when Mike Duggan first ran for mayor. Hoover might not have been friends with Duggan. It could have been some agreement with Hoover and Duggan's campaign for an event to be held there. The campaign probably paid some kind of fee to Hoover for using the house. Jeff Cowin said he and Hoover had interest in supporting a woman who was running for Congress and Cowin held an event at his house for her. The woman in question didn't win her primary. Outside of that, Cowin and others in the FB group have never shown any evidence of Hoover being close pals with politicians.

by Anonymousreply 262November 1, 2023 4:46 PM

Latest-Police chief is now saying the investigation might conclude soon.

On the FB group, members are saying that an arrest is supposed to happen in two or three weeks. One of the members who is known to bitch about the cops is now praising the police chief and DPD. It's almost funny how people in that group go back and forth between hating and loving DPD. There was also a post from a male patient who said he had known Hoover since 2003. I don't think that guy has posted there before. The guy said he hoped that DPD detectives are watching that group and he also suggested that investigative reporters from local news stations be contacted to look into Hoover's case. One reporter from the newspapers did post in that group sometime back seeing if people were interested in talking to him. Some news articles have taken direct quotes from group posts. I think some journalists both print and TV are avoiding getting involved with the Hoover case because that FB group is a clusterfuck filled with in fighting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263November 9, 2023 3:09 AM

So did the DPD Chief give his update on what’s happening with the case? What qualifies as ‘very soon’.

by Anonymousreply 264November 14, 2023 9:28 PM

How soon is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265November 14, 2023 10:06 PM

The police chief doesn't seem to have a true time frame of when an arrest will be made. He's pretty much using canned type statements to appease people who have been complaining about DPD to the board of police commissioners regarding the Hoover case..

by Anonymousreply 266November 15, 2023 8:11 AM

DPD has been talking about their “significant to-do list” that's "just about complete” since August.

What exactly in on that list? I seriously doubt they're ever going to find the gun. (And even that in itself wouldn't necessarily prove guilt.) There don't seem to be eyewitnesses. So that basically leaves DNA, if available. And that particular "to do" should have been accomplished by the CSI and Medical Examiner right when the crime happened. (Recall the rape kid ordered.)

The only thing I can think of is that they think there was an accomplice or paid hit-man that they've been track down.

by Anonymousreply 267November 15, 2023 6:35 PM

Devon's friend Jordan is posting again on the FB group. He posted about the DPD chief for using the same scripted type statements regarding the Samantha Woll case that he had previously used when talking about Devon's case to the media. Jeff replied to one of Jordan's posts, but Jordan didn't reply back lol.

The FB group has been talking a bit about the Woll case and they were upset that the suspect in the Woll case was released. Reading through some of those posts is difficult because when someone brings up the fact that the police and prosecutors sometimes have to release suspects for legal reasons/technicalities, the anti-DPD/Wayne County DA crowd accuses that person of either working for DPD or the DA's office.

by Anonymousreply 268November 15, 2023 6:58 PM

R268, it’s my understanding that, in Detroit, anyone who’s arrested has to be charged within 72 hours. If that’s not done, they have to let go. That’s what happened with the suspect in the Woll case. The suspect can always be re-arrested.

by Anonymousreply 269November 15, 2023 7:25 PM

R267 I agree, the police probably won't find the gun.

by Anonymousreply 270November 16, 2023 1:18 AM

R270 Or the killer, the longer this goes on.

by Anonymousreply 271November 16, 2023 1:30 AM

Police haven't even found that HUGE statue that was stolen, and unlike the gun, it probably hasn't been melted down or thrown in the Detroit River.

by Anonymousreply 272November 16, 2023 5:56 PM

I'm thinking the statue got ditched somewhere like an old warehouse or abandoned building.

I checked out the Facebook group and there was a post from an anonymous member claiming that Samantha Woll was personal friends with "you know who" (I'm guessing Gretchen Whitmer or Mike Duggan) and that Whitmer and someone referred to as "LGBTQ+IA Queen (I'm guessing he or she is referring to Dana Nessel) " aren't happy with Detroit Police and there is "supposed to be some shakeup in leadership soon." The anonymous member is claiming "DPD is shitting bricks". Other posers aren't believing that person's claims.

From what I'm seeing there are three camps in the FB group, some are basically blaming the prosecutor's office for the delay in arrests, there is the anti-DPD camp, and one camp of people who are claiming that DPD is doing a great job and that people need to be patient. I think even if there is an arrest and trial, nobody in that FB group will ever be completely happy.

by Anonymousreply 273November 26, 2023 4:24 PM

Devon's bestie Carol is taking to the media again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274November 29, 2023 8:55 PM

From that article, a federal prosecutor points out:

[quote] He pointed out that police have said the case may be domestic and "that makes it more difficult in the sense that you can’t just say 'X's' DNA was in the house. 'X' must be a suspect. Because if it’s an acquaintance, you expect to find the DNA in the house, so it makes it more difficult to investigate and prosecute."

Forget DNA in the house. The DPD could at least release information on whether or not any other (male) DNA was found from the rape kit that the medical examiner mentioned months ago. .. And I'm not trying to be salacious here. .. If there was nothing found, than fine. Even that might indicate that the motive had nothing to do with "a domestic." .. But if there was, then that might go toward tips from people who might know something relevant about the who, why, what, when of any hook-ups.

by Anonymousreply 275November 29, 2023 9:21 PM

Could that house get any gayer?

by Anonymousreply 276November 29, 2023 9:39 PM

R276 Yes, if there was a full blown dungeon / Gay playroom in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 277November 30, 2023 1:53 AM

Pride Source article mentions Hoover's murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278December 1, 2023 4:47 AM

Hoover and Woll cases featured on Surviving the Survivor and former Detroit police chief James Craig was on the panel. Some of the discussion was regarding frustration people in Detroit have about suspects being released after being arrested and the issues that Devon's friend Carol brought up regarding the house not being taped off was also discussed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279December 6, 2023 4:40 AM

[quote]On the other hand, police have released numerous details about Hoover’s death, including that when his body was discovered, it was wrapped in a blanket and a comforter, naked but for one black sock, and that he had been shot twice in the back of the head.

I'm sure they're not telling everybody everything but how do you shoot somebody in the back of the head twice and not leave evidence of it? Was it an execution or an ambush? Did they strip his body or had they had sex? Was there DNA? It's quite bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 280December 6, 2023 2:01 PM

Did anybody ever find his Grindr or Scruff account?

by Anonymousreply 281December 6, 2023 2:47 PM

I checked out the FB group this morning after the STS live stream. Several days ago, some of them were praising DPD and of course, after STS they are back on the anti-DPD train. Some of those people flip flop so much on DPD that it's become comical to read stuff in that group. The only thing people in that group stay consistent on is their bitching about the Wayne County DA's office.

by Anonymousreply 282December 6, 2023 3:40 PM

Reported back in early November:

[quote] Detroit police Chief James White said Thursday, Nov. 2 that the investigation is moving forward, and that investigators “expect to have an announcement soon,” hopefully by the end of the year.

Two months later ... still no announcement.

by Anonymousreply 283January 5, 2024 1:40 AM

I think DPD bungled the case somehow and they can't make arrests due to some legal technicality.

As usual, there's drama and bullshit on the Justice FB page. They aren't happy that DA Kym Worthy did a recent interview in which she brought up hoping that more attention would brought to murder cases in which black people are killed. In the interview, she said that she didn't want talk about Hoover's case or the Samantha Woll case. Of course, the people on the FB group fucking whined because she dared to bring up race. There's a young woman poster who I think had some kind of crush on Hoover. She said something along the lines that she was sad that Kym Worthy "thinks that Dr Hoover was an arrogant person". Worthy never said anything about Hoover being arrogant. The young woman poster also said some stupid shit about how "she's happy Worthy has never had medical problems that require neurosurgery. " I find it somewhat hilarious that the young woman is butthurt that Worthy isn't swooning over Hoover and giving the case VIP treatment.

One of the male posters who frequently posts has a couple of posts urging people to call or email Mike Duggan's office about "Worthy's out of line and hurtful statements". I don't think Worthy said anything hurtful. She didn't disparage Hoover or Woll and she was right imo about wanting more attention for black murder victims. That guy also said something about how "Worthy's isn't the last word on justice in Detroit or Michigan and that she has bosses and they have to answer us". Of course, she's not the last word. But, I don't think the governor, AG, or others above Worthy are ever going to be able to do anything that completely satisfies most people in that FB group or there might not even be anything they can't do. That Jeff guy was encouraging people to write to the AG's office to request that the Detroit FBI handle or assist with the homicide cases in Detroit. I have wondered if a state AG can even do that. The people in that group rarely or never suggest contacting the DOJ, or the state reps or state senator that represent the district Hoover lived in. Their suggestions are usually "ask the FBI to get involved" "contact the mayor's office" or "go to the police board meetings"

by Anonymousreply 284January 5, 2024 5:40 PM

^^^ I meant to type "they can do" not "can't do".

by Anonymousreply 285January 5, 2024 5:44 PM

The house hasn't sold either. That's not surprising, though. The one (even bigger) comparable down the block has been on the market for a year. A buyer has to really want to take something like this on, and it's still Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 286January 5, 2024 6:44 PM

As day breaks over the murder house...

by Anonymousreply 287January 5, 2024 6:49 PM

R286 I have always been curious if houses, where murders occur take longer to sell.

by Anonymousreply 288January 8, 2024 3:07 PM

Real estate article on the house from MLive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 8, 2024 3:13 PM

R288 Some states actually have laws that say realtors must disclose whether a death, murder, suicide, infectious disease, etc. occurred at the property within a certain period of time. In short, the property is considered "stigmatized" by such incidents, so disclosure is required. .. Example: In California, disclosure of something like that lasts three years. .. Michigan has no such law. .. But as a general rule, something like a murder or suicide may turn many buyers off. .. And while the seller's agent may not be required to raise the issue, one would think that a good (local) buyer's agent would know about things like this and would bring it up, if only to use the incident to try to knock the price down a bit for his client.

by Anonymousreply 290January 8, 2024 8:57 PM

[quote]But as a general rule, something like a murder or suicide may turn many buyers off.

Funny, that.

by Anonymousreply 291January 8, 2024 9:11 PM

In Justice FB group, one of Devon's friends had a post questioning why Hill Harper hasn't stepped up regarding the Hoover case and she thinks it would be good for Harper's US senate campaign. Harper lives near Devon's home in what's known as the Fisher Mansion. One person said that Devon protested Harper's renovation of the Fisher Mansion. A few posters don't believe Harper would be able to help with the case. They are right. Harper is an actor trying to be a politician and he probably can't influence anything DPD does. Also, there was a replay from the frequent young woman poster who had to throw shade at Elissa Slotkin and the Samantha Woll case.

There is still lingering resentment in that group regarding the Woll case. The posters there are upset about DPD calling in for assistance from the FBI regarding that case. They also seem unhappy that politicians who knew or employed Woll have spoken to the media. Last summer, there were occasional posts from people in the group claiming that Devon was well-connected to elected officials and wealthy people. I thought those claims about connections to elected officials were exaggerated. Samantha Woll worked on campaigns and worked as an aide to Elissa Slotkin. There's a huge difference between someone like Devon who probably just donated money to campaigns or had his house used for events versus someone like Samantha who was out pounding the pavement and working long hours alongside elected officials. I'm not saying Samantha was more important than Devon But, I do get the reasoning why elected officials spoke out after her death. She probably worked hard for those people and they at least gave some loyalty back to her family.

by Anonymousreply 292February 9, 2024 6:38 PM

I think we've already been over why the FBI was called into the Woll case. Refer to R257. Given what had just happened in Israel just two weeks prior to her murder even the New York Times was covering the case and asking the "hate crime" question - which is the purview of the DOJ-FBI.

by Anonymousreply 293February 9, 2024 10:54 PM

The infamous AP has returned to the Justice FB group. He's claiming that case is still moving foward and still bitching about the prosecutor. Of course, whenever he bitches about the prosecutor that annoying young woman poster likes or agrees with his posts. That particular young woman just can't accept that Kym Worthy isn't swooning over her precious Dr. Hoover.

by Anonymousreply 294March 3, 2024 3:37 PM

On a Detroit radio show a couple weeks ago, it was being referred to as a "cold case."

by Anonymousreply 295March 3, 2024 7:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!