Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are sharks becoming more aggressive?

Now they're just randomly attacking people on kayaks.

This is really fucked up and terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2023 8:24 PM

"We're gonna need a Bigger boat."

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2023 10:47 AM

No, humans are.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2023 10:55 AM

I wouldn't be in a rush to go out in that thing again.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2023 12:33 PM

Yes, they used to be such pacifists. What happened? Did someone say something to them?

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2023 12:39 PM

There are no words that can fully describe my love of and for R4.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2023 12:48 PM

Shark WEAK you say? Well, I’ll show you!

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2023 12:48 PM

I’m with R2. Humans are everywhere destroying everything. Think a locust storm. And you know what happens at the end of the storm.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2023 1:06 PM

We need the Jets. When you're a Jet...

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2023 1:13 PM

Every time there's a shark attack, the media always say how attacks are very rare....yet, you hear of at least one, every week or so during the summer. They don't want to scare the beachgoers and beaches don't lose their revenue. The shark that attacked the kayak was a 20 footer, according the news. Holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2023 1:19 PM

R9 once a week around the globe isn't a lot

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2023 1:29 PM

Humanity has jumped the shark. It’s our turn to level out things.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2023 1:34 PM

What R9 said. The typical fuckery of the U.S. media always putting their own spin on issues and news. "It's VERY rare!", so as not to hurt tourism. And yet, shark attacks AND deaths are indeed increasingly more common.

And no, Humans aren't encroaching onto shark habitats to such a degree that they're getting "mad". They live in ocean waters. The climate is warming but they're also warm-weather fish, (technically elasmobranchs, same as mata rays, etc.). Also, the increased aggression isn't merely from Great Whites but Tiger Sharks, Sand Sharks, etc..

There's no reported evidence that their food supplies have diminished. Add to that sharks have incredible eyesight, especially great whites and it makes attacks like this one even more curious. It could be territorial, maybe it was a parent protecting its young or something, or there was a feeding ground nearby. But the shark in OP's link doesn't just bump the kayak out of curiosity. It launches itself out of the water and attacks the boat, likely knowing it wasn't organic. It gave a couple of chomps on it. So no, this wasn't a confused shark, it was an aggressive one, and there doesn't seem to be any reporting on why that may be.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2023 1:34 PM

THEORETICAL violence!

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2023 1:39 PM

Don't FUCK with me!

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2023 1:39 PM

A teen girl in Florida was attacked by a bull shark last week. She fought it off, punching it and it went away, only to return to attack her again. She kept fighting it and was rescued. Luckily, she survived with all limbs still intact, with bites marks on her abdomen. You're not safe even in shallow water.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2023 1:42 PM

That guy was fishing so it's going to attract sharks and he'd just gotten a fairly large one. h

It approached fast as hell though.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2023 1:43 PM

If you stay out of the shark's house, there won't be any problems.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2023 1:45 PM

People still get hit by cars or bit by dogs an X amount of times than getting attacked by a shark.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2023 1:57 PM

Interesting statistics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2023 2:05 PM

I would have shit my pants and died on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2023 2:41 PM

We know, dear

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2023 2:43 PM

Just try and take my fins now motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2023 2:45 PM

I think it's because we have become such a divisive country.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2023 4:16 PM

It doesn't take a genius to realize, as a human, you're not on top of the food chain out there. Besides its fair enough he's fishing and so is the shark. Personally I'm on the sharks side.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2023 4:33 PM

The ocean is the shark's house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2023 4:46 PM

R12 = Shark whisperer

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2023 4:48 PM

List of recent Hawaii shark attacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2023 5:19 PM

No, we just document them better with more cameras available as well.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2023 5:24 PM

I'm sure Ron DeShitus will make a connection to drag queens, or lack of prayer in school, or even guns "Always keep your gun on you, even in the water."

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2023 5:26 PM

Amateur. I fucked a baby in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2023 5:58 PM

I think we should use ronde saints as bait to see if they are more aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2023 9:14 PM

Like humans, maybe sharks are living longer, too, leading to marked cognitive declines among some elderly of the species. Probably mistook the kayak for a seal or something.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2023 11:51 PM

Hmmm maybe with climate changing, seals & whales are migrating elsewhere, elsewhen, and sharks are getting hungry and curious.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2023 3:50 AM

Whoever is saying that the shark was going after the fisherman's fish, please notice that the guy had no fish on his kayak.

No smell of blood in the water, or anything that would typically cause a shark to attack.

The shark was coming after the man on the kayak.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2023 4:03 AM

r25 that's one of my favorite videos!

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2023 4:12 AM

You just have to give them a good shove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2023 4:57 AM

[quote] You just have to give them a good shove.

Lol.

If you can get past the razor sharp teeth!

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2023 5:07 AM

Pitbulls cause more deaths.

I feel sorry for sharks. I love them and think people are far worse.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2023 5:12 AM

A shark came up to me on the street last week and said "Mister, I haven't had a bite all day", so....

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2023 5:29 AM

R33 Umm, sharks don't eat whales, my friend. Killer whales on the other hand, eat sharks

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote]Whoever is saying that the shark was going after the fisherman's fish, please notice that the guy had no fish on his kayak. No smell of blood in the water, or anything that would typically cause a shark to attack. The shark was coming after the man on the kayak.

Tell me you haven't read anything about this without....

[quote]He was out on his kayak fishing over a mile offshore from Kualoa in Windward Oahu. He happened to accidentally leave his GoPro turned on after catching a fish.

[quote]Haraguchi says he was able to kick the shark away from his kayak and keep fishing.

[quote]He's not sure what prompted the shark attack, but says shortly after, [bold]he noticed what appeared to a wounded seal. He believes the shark may have mistaken his kayak for its wounded prey.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2023 6:02 PM

I'm currently fighting r5 for the affections of r4, as I, too, love him!

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2023 6:10 PM

r40, sharks most certainly do eat whales. Whale carcasses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2023 6:42 PM

Uh oh.

by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2023 6:43 PM

Stochastic shark attacks!

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2023 6:46 PM

Shark Attacksh!

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2023 6:48 PM

It's ok, it identifies as a friendly seal.

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2023 7:18 PM

That looked like a SOC. Just fighting back against White Supremacy.

Joe sure knows what he's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2023 7:22 PM

I read just the other day that in the Philippines, witnesses saw a group of tiger sharks devouring a fisherman. They initially thought it's a large bird but realized it was a human corpse.

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2023 7:34 PM

Thanks for the link.

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote] I read just the other day that in the Philippines, witnesses saw a group of tiger sharks devouring a fisherman. They initially thought it's a large bird but realized it was a human corpse.

Sharks like adobo.

by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2023 1:05 AM

[Quote] sharks most certainly do eat whales. Whale carcasses.

There's a documentary about this called The Shallows starring Blake Lively.

by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2023 2:18 AM

[quote] This is really fucked up and terrifying.

Mary!

Realistically, how often are you in tiger-shark infested waters?

Uh-huh... that's what i had thought.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2023 2:20 AM

Not a good idea to swim with the big fish.

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2023 2:23 AM

And here I was going to go swimming in the middle of some chum I wanted to spread around the bay of our hotel in Maui! Guess that will have to wait for another evening.

by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2023 2:24 AM

That movie is on SyFy as we speak, R52.

Scary!

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2023 4:45 PM

R56 as far as shark movies go, it's not bad. I'll take it over The Meg 😄

by Anonymousreply 57May 18, 2023 2:52 AM

Candy-Gram….

Plumber…

by Anonymousreply 58May 20, 2023 2:35 AM

Human have given them reason to be.

by Anonymousreply 59May 20, 2023 2:36 AM

Sad. Probably all the Adderall in the ocean waters.

by Anonymousreply 60May 20, 2023 2:37 AM

Maybe if people don’t want to risk a shark attack they shouldn’t go out into the middle of the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 61May 20, 2023 2:37 AM

I don't understand the appeal of kayaking. Might as well just pop an apple in your mouth and garnish the boat with parsley before you sail out. After all, the best chefs know that presentation is everything.

by Anonymousreply 62May 20, 2023 2:54 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 20, 2023 2:56 AM

Same type of attack happened to this guy.

He's so dumb for dangling his feet off the kayak. I never do that.

The shark could have chomped on it and dragged him under.

Not only that, but he's in deep water and cloudy/dark conditions, which sharks love.

Never swim in dark/deep/murky water, early morning or late evening.

That' when sharks feed.

And NEVER dangle your legs over the edge of a kayak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 20, 2023 2:59 AM

[quote]And NEVER kayak.

^ FTFY

by Anonymousreply 65May 20, 2023 3:23 AM

"I don't understand the appeal of kayaking."

Then don't go kayaking!

by Anonymousreply 66May 20, 2023 3:37 AM

r66 I bet you go well with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

by Anonymousreply 67May 20, 2023 4:15 AM

And the whales are starting to attack boats. The fish are getting mad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 20, 2023 5:10 AM

[quote] [R56] as far as shark movies go, it's not bad. I'll take it over The Meg 😄

But not nearly as great as Deep Blue Sea!

by Anonymousreply 69May 20, 2023 5:23 AM

R69 nothing will ever top Deep Blue Sea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 20, 2023 7:03 AM

This one seems quite friendly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 20, 2023 3:20 PM

[quote]The shark that attacked the kayak was a 20 footer,

25 … three tons on em

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 20, 2023 3:32 PM

R71 that woman has ovaries of steel.

by Anonymousreply 73May 20, 2023 3:34 PM

That is a fucking massive shark at R71, and those are some of the most incredibly stupid human beings on the planet.

"Why, yes, let's just swim in front of the mouth of a gigantic 20 foot long great white shark. She's so graceful!"

CHOMP.

Goddamned idiots. Just let it be.

by Anonymousreply 74May 20, 2023 3:46 PM

“I thought the bitch was a seal !!!”

by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2023 3:49 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 20, 2023 7:45 PM

R76’s link reminds me of a SF novel where Dolphins and Orcas were “uplifted” evolutionary-wise. The Dolphins were conscientious helpmeets to humans, whereas the Orcas wanted to dominate everyone and plotted the humans downfall.

by Anonymousreply 77May 20, 2023 8:20 PM

You who we have boat sinking coming after what we’ve done to killer whales

by Anonymousreply 78May 20, 2023 8:20 PM

[quote] U.S. woman reportedly loses leg in shark attack in Turks and Caicos

An American woman visiting Turks and Caicos is hospitalized in serious condition after being attacked by a shark while snorkeling, police said.

In a news release shared on social media on Wednesday night, the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force said that the unidentified woman, 22, was from Connecticut.

According to additional police reports, she and a friend were snorkeling on Providenciales, the third-largest island in the country.

It's not clear how the two escaped the shark and returned to shore. Police said that a resort employee called the police around 3:07 p.m. local time to request an ambulance.

"The employee indicated that the female victim had her leg bitten off by a shark," police said.

The woman was transported to the Cheshire Hall Medical Centre, also on Providenciales, where she remains in what police described as serious condition.

Shark attacks are rare, with the University of Florida's International Shark Attack File recording only 57 unprovoked shark bites in the world last year. Of those, five were fatal. Experts say most shark attacks are a case of mistaken identity, like a shark mistaking a human for a seal or other prey.

To stay safe in the water, wildlife experts recommend staying close to shore and swimming with a buddy, being careful when swimming on a sandbar or dropoff, being careful not to wear shiny jewelry or high-contrast clothing, which can tempt sharks, and avoid swimming with open wounds or injuries. Swimmers should also avoid being near fishing activities, which can draw sharks, and avoiding murky or cloudy waters, which can disguise an approaching shark. If you see a shark, slowly and calmly make your way back to shore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2023 11:49 PM

"You're land animals."

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2023 12:10 AM

Team orca

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2023 12:21 AM

Read this thread,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 3, 2023 7:53 PM

Thank God for harpoons.

by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2023 8:08 PM

Last week I was surfing and I a shark swam up beside me. In shark talk radiated by a huge plane over us translated he told me to stop pissing in his ocean. I said but I’m not. He said you aren’t allowed to piss here. If you want to piss go to the lake. He said faggots remind him of dolphins. He didn’t try to eat me though.

by Anonymousreply 84June 3, 2023 8:13 PM

Has there been any shark attacks of late at Sandals...

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2023 8:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!