Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

From the Good Wife and the Good Fight to NYC: Elsbeth

CBS is spinning off Elsbeth from the Good Wife and the Good Fight. Never watched the Good Wife, only know her from the Good Fight. Isn’t Elsbeth the character a bit too much to put her front and center of a show? I feel like that schtick could get old way too fast. What do you think?

On a side note: Should I start watching the Good Wife? Is it worth to go back?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2024 10:26 PM

She was amazing in the tile but I grew weary of the act really fast.

I share what I assume are your concerns.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2023 11:40 PM

A little bit of that character goes a long way. Like a minute per episode.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2023 11:44 PM

ELSBETH!

ELSBETH!

ELSBETH!

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2023 12:00 AM

I saw two episodes of this show...it was dreadful. I can't believe it is succeeding in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2024 7:42 PM

I enjoyed The Good Wife, OP. Try it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2024 7:44 PM

She was good as the dingbat married to a gay in "Straight Jacket."

"My husband, a homosexual? Please! He lifts weights constantly!"

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2024 7:47 PM

I watched all ten episodes. I agree they need to carefully measure her personality. But she hasn't gotten old on me yet. They seem to give her a couple edges and tone her down, but very slowly. The whole thing is written like a comedy, so it may have some mileage.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2024 7:51 PM

It is the Colombo/Monk/House formula that people simply love.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2024 7:51 PM

I actually don't care much for the Columbo aspect. The season ending wasn't so clear about the killer and it was a bit more interesting right away.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2024 7:54 PM

It's a fun show. I ❤️ Elsbeth. For network tv, it's a nice change from the endless parade of FBI/Law and Order/NCIS shows.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2024 8:10 PM

I remember her from SATC - an interior decorator who steals Miranda's British boyfriend.

She was on Law And Order- Criminal Intent as a wife who has her husband and brother in law killed and as a woman who is poisoned by her doctor boyfriend. The doctor boyfriend was also in an episode of SATC as a shoe salesmen with a foot fetish who plays with Charlotte's feet.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2024 8:12 PM

OP, you should get out of your muumuu and get out and get some fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2024 8:14 PM

I really enjoyed the series. I thought I'd get tired of it after a few eps, but it never wore me out. She's a talented actress and knows how to play her character.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2024 8:15 PM

I've only seen a few episodes but she's growing on me. I had put her on as background noise while I was "seriously reading something more worthy of my precious time" and ended up dropping the ebook in favor of watching her. Good supporting cast and guest stars too.

My first thought was that she might want to rein-in a bit of the quirky but no.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2024 8:28 PM

I hope they grow the supporting cast in Season 2. Maybe her gay son will show up. I hope we get more of Molly Price's surly detective and I liked Officer Kaya, her sensible sidekick. And who doesn't love Wendell Pierce and Gloria Ruben?

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2024 8:31 PM

We tried maybe three episodes after loving her on The Good Wife and the sequel. But the fey quirkiness got on our nerves.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2024 9:08 PM

R15 There were clear lez vibes between Elsbeth and Officer Kaya, but CBS would probably never let that go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2024 9:21 PM

As some others have noted, the show is easy to watch, the character's quirks seemed to have been smoothed a bit and with the first big underlying story out of the way, they're set to move ahead. An easy hour.

I feel the same way about Will Trent... was surprised at the ending of the season finale, now curious as to where the show and characters go next.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2024 9:22 PM

I like your comparison to Will Trent but yes, after that finale I feel the need to rewatch more closely.

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2024 2:43 AM

Is she retarded?

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2024 4:05 AM

Retarted

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2024 4:11 AM

"The Good Wife" is great. Diane is flawless

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2024 4:48 AM

Maybe there'll be some crossovers from the Good Wife/Good Fight universe. How about Eli Gold or Diane Lockhart getting caught up in a murder investigation that only Elsbeth can solve? We know that Alicia Florrick would never show up because Miss Juliana Margolies would want 800 million dollars per episode.

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2024 5:47 AM

It's been a big success, to my complete surprise.

I have no interest in watching this show.

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2024 6:01 AM

The Good Wife was great until its final season, which was blah because the star of the show was by then an exec producer calling the shots, with predictable results.

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2024 7:15 AM

She a producer long before then. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2024 8:53 AM

And R25, she was never an EP. She was a producer. Since the start of season three, I believe.

Everyone here likes to demonize Julianna but, as I’ve shared before, I know a prominent recurring cast member who had only raves for her.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2024 9:28 AM

"Schtick" worked for "Columbo," "Monk," "Elementary," "Sherlock," multi-nationally with "Professor T," and countless more shows (with the egregious exception by CBS of the delightful "So Help Me Todd").

I'm an "Elsbeth" fan. People like quirky crime-solvers.

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2024 9:42 AM

There's "schtick" and then there's "full on alien aspie existing in her own heightened, almost cartoonish reality." Stop being facetious and making it out like we're not aware of the quirky detectives of yore, whore.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2024 9:50 AM

r20, more of a spaz.

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2024 10:42 AM

[quote]People like quirky crime-solvers.

Absolutely the best of the quirky crime-solvers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2024 10:50 AM

Oh look, another tv show set in New York! There have been so few.

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2024 1:07 PM

So it’s Monk for the Aspie set.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2024 1:18 PM

Wasn't Monk Monk for the Aspie set?

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2024 2:28 PM

I think Astrid’s co-cop is hot. As is Astrid’s boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2024 2:42 PM

Gawd, this looks really annoying!

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2024 3:30 PM

[quote]Wasn't Monk Monk for the Aspie set?

Monk was Monk for the OCD set, r34.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2024 3:38 PM

I agree with the Columbo comparison. Both zero in on a suspect and annoy the shit out of them until they mess up.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2024 3:53 PM

It’s actually really good. Carrie Preston pulls it off.

I’m as shocked as anyone because I started tiring of her character on the Good Wife.

She manages to find the right balance. Elsbeth can seem cartoonish at times but then you see the smarts behind her act. She’s quite likable and fun.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2024 4:04 PM

Remember when Kate Mulgrew did that awful "Mrs. Columbo" series that never once showed Peter Falk's character? They even renamed it a few times, but it was always some dizzy dame solving mysteries and name-dropping her husband.

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2024 5:40 PM

Kate Loves a Mystery.

Smell the polyester!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2024 5:42 PM

She was good in Claws as well.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2024 7:05 PM

who, R42, Kate Mulgrew?

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2024 9:32 PM

Carrie Preston

by Anonymousreply 44June 1, 2024 7:20 PM

R29, I was building on the OP's use of the word "schtick."

Giving a few examples to support a point is not being condescending, which is the word I think you wanted instead of "facetious."

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2024 8:31 PM

Anyone tuning in for Season 2 ? Just watched the premiere episode - seems the writing is tighter, and the story is more focused. I liked it. Great pairing with the new MATLOCK.

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2024 2:14 AM

I’ve been watching The Good Wife for the first time. I’ve seen the first 2 seasons.

It is good. Except I don’t understand why she keeps putting up with her husbands bullshit.

Why did Juliana and Panjabi loathe each other by the end?

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2024 2:31 AM

I am rewatching The Good Wife and it’s just SO good, great scripts, fantastic cast. Not dated at all. The 5th season is the best. R47, many of the secondary characters show up again in The Good Fight.

Nobody knows why Margulies and Panjabi fell out. Supposedly the latter was nominated for more Emmys? I don’t pay attention to awards shows. The last two seasons is when the show fell apart. Alicia had her own storyline that had no connection to the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2024 2:46 AM

Although the series itself and everyone in the cast were getting rave reviews, it was said that Panjabi was getting the most attention in the media, which upset JM and CB. So the creators decided to write her out of the series (stupid idea). When 'The Good Fight' premiered starring CB, the creators wanted to bring her character back - but star Baranski shot that idea down. At least this is what was said on different message forums.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2024 2:54 AM

Interesting, R49. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2024 2:59 AM

Preston also costarred in True Blood. That’s where I first noticed her.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2024 3:25 AM

The first episode of Season 2 was good. Nathan Lane was every DLer, having to tolerate sitting behind an obnoxious asshole at the theater! But not for long.....

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2024 3:37 AM

Have not watched The Good Wife yet. I started with The Good Fight. That show was great in its first two seasoned. But then the writers became too clever for their own good, and the stories turned from excellent to ridiculous in a bad way.

I only know Elsbeth from that show. She worked in a cleaning supply closet, and I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2024 7:26 PM

[quote]Nathan Lane was every DLer, having to tolerate sitting behind an obnoxious asshole at the theater! But not for long.....

He would've only needed one DLer on the jury to be able to walk free.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2024 10:24 PM

I only knew Carrie Preston from "Claws," that crazy show that featured Dean Norris as an old queen named "Uncle Daddy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2024 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!