Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

KYLIE MINOGUE Gives The Gays... TENSION

New album, TENSION, out Sept. 22.

First single, Padam Padam already leaked in low quality and is likely out through proper channels next week.

(Padam Padam is supposedly an onomatopoeia for the sound of your lover's heartbeat)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532March 3, 2024 9:04 PM

Teeny preview here. Sounds a little edgier than her more recent work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2023 10:21 PM

Why was she never much of a thing in the States?

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2023 10:24 PM

I sure hope the whole album isn't as overproduced as this song is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2023 10:27 PM

Sounds horrible. And Disco is so fucking good!

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2023 10:47 PM

She is ALL about production. I’d hate it if it was NOT overproduced I think.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2023 10:57 PM

R2 Too poppy and European-looking/sounding.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2023 10:58 PM

Please for the love of God not another why wasn't Kylie bigger in the US thread? R2 she wasn't because Americans are stupid and have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2023 11:00 PM

Saw Dannii the other day guesting on The One Show. She looked fucking hot. How does she look so good, and at her age?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2023 11:03 PM

R8 - Dannii's not THAT old. Fifty-one isn't what it was a generation ago. Plus, you know, good genes and lots of $$$ helps.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2023 11:10 PM

R9 true lol. That said I know current fifty-somethings who look like gargoyles covered in melted candle wax.

Dannii's looked after herself fantastically (that skin on an Aussie!), and must have a top-notch personal trainer and stylist if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2023 11:14 PM

R8 A never ending stream of cosmetic procedures.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2023 11:16 PM

Something WILD is going on. A BUNCH of demos (and, seemingly fully completed but unreleased) tracks from the DISCO era are leaking one by one right now. And some of them are fabulous and better than the final Disco tracks. If you an track down The Loneliest Kind of Lover (Disco unreleased track) it's SO good. It's like Kylie does Disco through a Janet lens. How did THAT song not make the album, but Monday Blues did???

Sorry, don't want to provide direct links and get banned, but if you search via Bing (because for some reason Bing is better for leaks), Twitter or Discord, you might find them, too.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2023 11:27 PM

R12 Kylie always had some very good unreleased tracks/b-sides. This one is better than at least half of Light Years, but wasn't included on the album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2023 11:36 PM

R13 - true, she did leave some gems behind. I love this one that got left behind in the Aphrodite era....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2023 11:40 PM

[quote] she wasn't because Americans are stupid and have no taste.

Honey, go back listening to your childish Eurovision crap.

That being said, Kylie is great. Madonna has ripped off her looks for years.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2023 11:53 PM

R7, I didn't realize this is a recurring topic. I was only wondering out loud why she isn't more popular. Her music isn't much different than other pop music.

by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2023 1:41 AM

Kylie needs to take a rest now. She's been pumping out vanilla garbage for years just for the sake of it. Time for a rest and then in a year or so a greatest hits tour and then time to retire and come out of retirement for special appearances occasionally. Madonna needs to do this too.

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2023 2:01 AM

Kylie doesn't care about changing for America and thank God for that. She belongs to the world (and enlightened Americans). The US music industry stinks.

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2023 2:25 AM

There are now almost 20-something leaks out there in the past 24 hours or so. Guess some intern had had enough or something.

by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2023 8:23 PM

Kylie, do not take a rest now!! The world needs you now more than ever!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2023 8:35 PM

Suck my left nut r17. You take a rest. Kylie last album in 2020 the Disco album was fucking brilliance. I can’t wait to hear what she does next.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2023 11:02 PM

Can I also say Disco debuted at number 26 on the Billboard 200 here in the US and Number 1 on the US Dance chart. So she has a solid base here.

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2023 11:05 PM

The single out's Thursday and she's performing on the American Idol finale. She always does American promo, but doing it this early perhaps suggests there's some validity to these Vegas residency rumors? Or maybe it was just opportunistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2023 8:23 PM

35 years ago today Kylie was in the UK top ten with her second single.

Other artists in the charts that week who are still releasing new music are Bananarama, Belinda Carlisle, Pet Shop Boys

Other artists in the charts that week who are not releasing new music, due to being unalive, are Prince, Michael Jackson, Natalie Cole, Ofra Haza, George Michael. Patrick Swayze

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2023 8:33 PM

The chorus sounds very... Eastern European? Or perhaps even Middle Eastern in influence?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2023 12:57 PM

R25 That snippet has a very "Bollywood meets electronica" sound.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2023 1:00 PM

I like the vibe of this look. It's very... Area 51, glam aliens land near abandoned motel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2023 1:01 PM

R26 - oh, yes, you're absolutely right. I'm not hating it. Though, I hope it turns out better than her last foray in that direction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2023 1:04 PM

It's just officially debuted on UK radio and is on streaming. It's going to be a huge hit for her.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2023 8:19 AM

Bitch, please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2023 8:58 AM

I'm obsessed it's so great.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2023 10:03 AM

I wish she’d tour with the Disco album.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2023 11:30 AM

She will definitely do Disco material in the next tour.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2023 11:56 AM

I wish this didn't look so cheap. I know music video budgets aren't what they once were, but, still.

Catchy song, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2023 1:19 PM

Catchy. Will get old fast. I generally like her music because she puts out these catchy, listenable tunes. It’s ear candy and not really meant to be more than that.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2023 1:30 PM

Thanks, Kylie. Now “takeadump, takeadump”:is stuck in my brain.

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2023 3:41 PM

I love it. It would have absolutely destroyed Eurovision.

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2023 3:43 PM

R34 I think the video is meant to look cheap, with a trailer trash meets glam vibe.

The song is okay. Catchy, but forgettable. It won't be a hit in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2023 4:12 PM

I don’t get it- is the title supposed to indicate the sound of her heart? Is that a reference to something? I’m American, it sounds kinda dumb. I’m a Kylie fan but this one is a No for me, dawg.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2023 6:20 PM

I don't think the video looks especially cheap for 2023. It's not one of her better ones though.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2023 10:14 PM

R39: The title refers to the noise a heart makes and is French slang.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2023 10:15 PM

R38 Kylie have up on the US along time ago. I actually really like it, sounds breezy and not hugely overthought.

She looks great in the video, sexy without being underdressed. A little harder in her features maybe but she's 55!

I hope she gets some airplay, radio is very ageist

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2023 10:25 PM

Love the song and video. On first listen, wasn't too sure. On second listen, I was hooked. It's got an issue in that it's too short; it needed to come back for two more repeats of the chorus at the end. At 2:45, it's too short because it's very addicting.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2023 10:26 PM

Btw that's one of my favourite album covers she's done

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2023 10:27 PM

R43, I agree - under three minutes is far too short. I like the new song - I have decent hopes for the album. Love Kylie and her specific brand of disposable dance music.

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2023 10:48 PM

Now I know who she reminds me of: those helium-voiced songstresses who sang Middle Eastern music.

Actually they all sounded the same; maybe it was just one woman.

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2023 11:03 PM

I wish she hadn't had work done on her nose back in the 90s. It was not needed and it's not ageing well. Great song.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2023 11:10 PM

I think these short singles are here to stay. They help drive up streaming numbers. Agree that it could use another chorus or a middle 8 or bridge or something.

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2023 11:48 PM

I always wondered why she never made more of an effort to learn how to dance for videos and concerts. She essentially poses.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2023 11:53 PM

R49 Probably because she just doesn't have the skills to be even a passable dancer. Plus, now that she's reaching the other side of her 50s, moving around becomes more physically challenging.

They tried to get Whitney Houston to dance in videos and finally gave up on that, too.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2023 11:55 PM

R49 her performances are entertaining and she puts on a great show, I don't care if she dances

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2023 11:56 PM

R49 I once saw an interview with Sheena Easton, and she said they tried to teach her to dance in her videos in the 1980s, but everyone soon realized she had two left feet, and that's why she mostly stood and posed instead.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2023 11:56 PM

Has there ever been an artist who could dance well and sing live at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2023 11:58 PM

R53 Madonna was pretty good at it during her heyday.

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2023 11:59 PM

I think Madge was the first. She visibly struggles now. But I think she led the way for “entertainers” like Britney. It’s the whole package of autotune, sexualization and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2023 12:01 AM

But was Madge actually singing live? It seems like it would be very hard to breathe well enough to give good live vocals unless the dancing is pretty simple

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2023 12:03 AM

What's your favourite or least favourite album cover? I like the simplicity of her 1994 album although I wish they'd given it a distinctive name and released a different third single and a fourth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2023 12:06 AM

Madonna did sing and dance at the same time in the 80s at least, before lip synching became a thing with pop stars during dance routines. She was good at it. Having seen most of Kylie's tours I can objectively say she puts on a much better show than Madonna. More crowd pleasing in most senses, including delivering the hits and creating a fun spectacle. Complaining Kylie doesn't formally dance when she is a better entertainer onstage than Madonna seems a silly detail.

by Anonymousreply 58May 19, 2023 12:09 AM

I really like the song. She's gorgeous and great as always. But the video is largely a series of missed opportunities. The excessive number of dancers clutter the screen doing choreography that doesn't really work with the tone of the song, and that a number of locations (or the way they staged those locations) featured are wrong for a song whose themes are darkly intimate, is what blows it for me.

Tonally, it should have been a bit darker, sexier, and more intimate (the "intimate" bits are the best bits in this video). Like a dark, sexy dance music perfume commercial, if one wants starting references.

Perhaps what I'm suggesting is the obvious choice they may have attempted to avoid in making the video the produced, but I guess that's only because I feel the video they delivered feels like most of it belongs to another song from twenty-five years ago. And not in the good way.

But I enjoy the song, and I'm definitely looking forward to perusing the album.

by Anonymousreply 59May 19, 2023 12:15 AM

I don't know why people compare her to Madonna (other than Madonna ripping off Kylie's looks for two of her albums in the 2000's) They really have nothing in common.

Kylie has always been obviously influenced by Olivia Newton John. So much so, that I was a little surprised that Kylie didn't take part in Olivia's state funeral, not even giving a video tribute as others did (Rupaul, Mariah Carey, Elton John, Nicole Kidman). Danni attended.

by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2023 12:16 AM

Nah, R58. Madge’s concerts are infinitely better.

by Anonymousreply 61May 19, 2023 12:17 AM

R61: No they aren't. They are self indulgent; the lack of hits and catalogue material, the coldness, the lack of fun. Recent Madonna concerts suck.

by Anonymousreply 62May 19, 2023 12:19 AM

Oi R62 pay your $400 and shut up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 19, 2023 12:27 AM

R53 Yes Kate Bush on her 1979 tour, many years before Madonna. There was only one song that Kate couldn’t sing live and dance at the same time, so instead of miming she simple performed a dance to that track.

Kate Bush was the first to use a microphone wired next to her mouth on this tour to allow her to dance. It was an amateur contraption compared to today’s microphones, but it did the job.

Kylie did dance on stage and in her videos earlier in her career. However post cancer treatment she scaled this back.

by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2023 4:58 AM

Madonna can’t make good music anymore. She’s cursed.

by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2023 5:11 AM

It'll be interesting to see how this does.

Kylie's last two albums did well in her major markets without what one would call a real "hit song" (whatever that even is in the streaming era). None of the singles cracked the top 20.

Will this song change that?

by Anonymousreply 66May 19, 2023 5:35 AM

Kylie never hit big in the US because she's not that pretty facially. Kind of horsey with large teeth.

If you want to make it in American pop you have to be pretty in a bland way (Britney) or a knockout (Rihanna).

by Anonymousreply 67May 19, 2023 5:40 AM

Kylie's face had nothing to do with it. The musical genres she's worked in for most of her career have never been strongly supported by US media. In places where she did get a lot of exposure, like the US gay and club scenes, she was and is popular. Enduring exposure is the issue.

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2023 5:43 AM

R67 What? Rhianna isn't even 36 yet, and both of them are already running fat. Kylie was more of a knockout than either of them.

by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2023 9:18 AM

Rihanna was never a great looker

by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2023 9:20 AM

Looks have never been a significant factor in gay men adopting a diva for life. Style can be a significant factor, but looks, no.

by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2023 9:37 AM

Kylie Minogue - Into The Blue

This song came up on my shuffle a few days ago and is still in my head. Love IT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 19, 2023 10:33 AM

Hasn't Padam Padam gone Top 10 in the US? DL's always saying she's not very big in the US but it can't be just the gays listening to her for it to go Top 10?

I get she's not the household name she is in much of the rest of the world but might DL be underestimating her US fanbase? It's like the inverse of when Americans say Oprah or Janet Jackson are worldwide icons and non-Americans are like "Who??".

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2023 10:40 AM

Besides the UK and Australia, Kylie is massive in a Mexico and Brazil apparently.

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2023 10:51 AM

R73: She's in the US iTunes top 10. How that factors in the broader scale of things I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 75May 19, 2023 11:12 AM

She's #3 on iTunes Worldwide

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 19, 2023 11:20 AM

I think these early iTunes charts are largely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. They reflect the momentary bumps from releasing the single and from the album on-sale in which all of the 57 physical variations the artist is selling come bundled with instant digital access to the lead single. Streaming will be the real tell. BMG have apparently gotten Kylie's streaming numbers up meaningfully over the last two album cycles. To me, this song feels like it was (almost cynically) tailor made for streaming (short length, instant sing-songy hook made for replay) and for TikTok. I could see it and its slightly silly, but easily replicable choreography catching on with TikTok and then randomly becoming a streaming hit.

I guess we'll see if her American Idol appearance this weekend will have any impact.

by Anonymousreply 77May 19, 2023 12:56 PM

Lol, this thread is filled with delusional queens. Reasons why Kylie never fully crossed over in America:

1. Kylie has Old World features. She looks vampiric with those showy teeth, old lady cheekbones, and domed dinosaur forehead.

2. Her dance pop music is way too generic to penetrate the US market. The top US pop acts get first dibs on all the real hits. Kylie gets left with derivative album filler. Her songs with their diluted hooks and generic lyrics appeal to the most basic, dumb gays looking to be buoyed by the familiar. The less thought required, the better. It's made for those mindless Europeans who don't really care what music is playing as long as they can bop around to it while drunk.

3. Her thin, nasal voice can be shrill and grating on the ears after a while. It's headache inducing. Madonna left the high-pitched, pop tone in the 80s. After her 1994 eponymous album, Kylie regressed vocally. All she has now is her head voice which is not enough. Roisin Murphy is a better singer even if she has less overall range.

4. She can't dance. USA has Madonna, Beyonce, Gaga, JLo, Britney (in her prime), heck, even Ciara, etc. Nowadays, you have to be able to do it all.

5. Padam Padam is a stupid name for a song title that sounds like she is trying to break into the Indian market. The hair is flat and she looks washed out. These leaks are to generate interest in another flop era. They'll blame the leaks for weak sales.

Simply put, America is a tough market to break into. We export culture more than we import it. That's beginning to change with the k-pop fad muscling its way onto the Billboard charts, but the truth is, only Asians and the rice queens who love them bother with that tacky, manufactured shit. Plus, those k-pop stars are dropping like flies from the stress.

X, Kiss Me Once, and Fever were Kylie's last decent, consistent albums (i.e-6 or more good songs) that had any sort of presence in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 20, 2023 12:20 AM

The only notable culture that America exports to the world these days is end of the line crap like Netflix's "Cleopatra". You're dome as a force or as an authority.

by Anonymousreply 79May 20, 2023 4:45 AM

R79 and you think Kylie Minogue is a cultural force? I'm laughing.

Her music is boring generic crap, her voice is average and she can't dance. And she has a long English face and teeth.

by Anonymousreply 80May 20, 2023 4:57 AM

She's not English. Even by descent.

by Anonymousreply 81May 20, 2023 4:58 AM

R78 what a pathetic waste of your time typing all those biased statements. Get on your red hat and start chanting U-S-A! Ethnocentric fucker

by Anonymousreply 82May 20, 2023 4:58 AM

She's not English? Damn that has to sting. To look English and not even be English....

by Anonymousreply 83May 20, 2023 5:03 AM

^ And what are you doing with your life, while she's still kicking at 55? Calling pop stars ugly on the Internet?

by Anonymousreply 84May 20, 2023 5:06 AM

Good lord we have a Kylie bot.

by Anonymousreply 85May 20, 2023 5:12 AM

R80 And you sound like grandpa Simpson. Go away and suck the life out of another thread.

by Anonymousreply 86May 20, 2023 7:40 AM

Sunday!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 20, 2023 11:51 AM

R57: I love the Rhythm of Love cover. One of her best albums too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 20, 2023 11:55 AM

R83 she’s Welsh by descent I think, so British. Just not English.

by Anonymousreply 89May 20, 2023 11:57 AM

R77: yeah the days are long gone when the iTunes chart means anything for chart positions in the actual chart. Sales on there are so low compared to streaming numbers.

I much preferred Dancing and Say Something as the last two lead singles off her new albums but I’d always rather see Kylie in the charts over the shit that does well now so I hope the new song does chart.

by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2023 12:03 PM

How exactly are the charts added up and composed these days? Is there a publicly available breakdown?

by Anonymousreply 91May 20, 2023 1:31 PM

R91 A mix of physical sales (cds, vinyl), digital sales (iTunes, etc.), radio airplay, and the biggest piece of pie: streaming numbers across all platforms (Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 92May 20, 2023 1:41 PM

Radio should not be in there. That's pure corruption left over from another time and does not reflect actual public demand. .

by Anonymousreply 93May 20, 2023 1:43 PM

r91 - this is a long, but very interesting summary of how the Hot 100 on Billboard works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 20, 2023 11:04 PM

And a similarly helpful post on the Billboard 200 (the main albums chart)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 20, 2023 11:05 PM

"The Hot 100 is composed using a formula that is mostly kept as a trade secret. Streams, airplay, and sales are divided by certain numbers. The resulting quotients are then added up to create the charts."

So in other words it's a corrupt farce.

There's no legit reason at all why the composition and calculation of the charts shouldn't be 100% transparent. None.

by Anonymousreply 96May 21, 2023 11:24 AM

Kylie and Nutsack perform!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 22, 2023 5:03 AM

Last album was superb, Eurodisco magic. But not sure what I think of this new single. Kinda sounds drab and generic, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 98May 22, 2023 5:24 AM

I didn't like it at first either, but it quickly got lodged in my brain. It's catchy. I'll giver her that.

by Anonymousreply 99May 22, 2023 6:27 AM

Great post r78.

Diluted or derivative is a great way to explain her music. I like Kylie well enough and think she's had some great songs...

-Can't Get You Out Of My Head -Red Blooded Woman (Narcotic Thrust Remix only - seriously it's amazing!) -I'm The One -Slow -Dancing -All The Lovers -Come Into My World

...but her voice is really quite unpleasant live (just listen to that American Idol performance!) and yeah - she's rarely gotten ahead of the curve. Can't Get You Outta My Head had an awesome sound and video that felt completely fresh. I still remember when that video hit I was like "who IS this woman??" totally unaware it was a comeback of sort for her. It was a hot video - great dancing and sound.

But otherwise, she seems like a hand-me-down version of other big divas. Someone sexy and small and femme enough to sell all over Europe and Asia and the Middle East, but with vapid lyrics and a vaguely "mmmm ohhhhh sexyyyyy" air about her, which falls apart as soon as she, you know, tries to actually sing about SOMETHING. Her songs are fluff, at least the good ones. She doesn't make you think, and if you're just going to be dancy music, you have to have fresh and catchy gimmicks. She doesn't, usually.

As much as people in North America love their divas, I think we've almost outgrown the idea of worshipping the divas, you know? We lost Whitney to drugs, Madonna's become a complete horror, Britney's insane (poor thing), Mariah is delusional and silly (can still sing but....eh), Aretha's gone (RIP) and Celine is very ill...

...so that leaves.. Rihanna? Beyonce?

I agree Kylie is great and should be celebrated, but I don't see the States getting on board now. She'd need a huge, HUGE hit song or two to take over the summer, and even then. With clubs having been closed for the better part of 3 years, where are people going to dance to her music? MTV doesn't show music videos anymore. YT is fine for getting her stuff out there, but the market sees her as "cheesy euro dance music woman" and that's about it.

Is the problem that she or her label won't cough up the money for better-written material? Or just that she's happy with her level of success and being a B-lister?

by Anonymousreply 100May 22, 2023 7:02 AM

[quote] She's not English. Even by descent.

Yes she is.

Ethnicity: Irish, Welsh, English

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 22, 2023 7:18 AM

Kylie's parents were what we call £10 poms.

by Anonymousreply 102May 22, 2023 7:39 AM

She generally identifies as Irish and welsh by descent.

by Anonymousreply 103May 22, 2023 7:49 AM

R93: agree radio is easy to manipulate by record companies. So is streaming though. Record companies now pay Spotify and the others for songs to play after the ones a listener has specifically chosen to listen to have finished. Or they get them added high up a ‘new release’ playlist. In the past I’m sure record companies would go out and buy physical copies of singles to cheat the charts but it seems easier to do now it’s mainly based on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 104May 22, 2023 8:17 AM

Artist management would also go out and buy singles en masse. This was a standard thing in the UK at least, for a while in the 90s, where that could heavily impact chart position. One particular boy band manager was notorious for it.

by Anonymousreply 105May 22, 2023 8:21 AM

Which one R105? A clue?

by Anonymousreply 106May 22, 2023 8:22 AM

Sorry i zoned out.

by Anonymousreply 107May 22, 2023 8:24 AM

Kyla Minot has a horse face just like SJP. How she succeeded with her fucking ugly mug and horse body is mystifying.

by Anonymousreply 108May 22, 2023 8:42 AM

Wow! I read your posting history R108. Not sure what to say.

by Anonymousreply 109May 22, 2023 8:49 AM

I have R108 blocked for some reason

by Anonymousreply 110May 22, 2023 8:59 AM

Kylie almost certainly called a favor or two to get the 'Idol' gig. They will get a nice bump in ratings this year, and she will gain good exposure for the younger demographics who watch. Her song will probably have at least 10 million views on youtube by next week.

by Anonymousreply 111May 22, 2023 9:06 AM

Young people watch broadcast TV?

by Anonymousreply 112May 22, 2023 9:36 AM

Idol is a good sign that the label is prioritising this release. And **if** anyone was required to call in favors to get Kylie on the show it would have been the label. The video budget has also been upped from the Disco video messes (which admittedly were made during Covid).

by Anonymousreply 113May 22, 2023 11:24 AM

R111 - do you mean an artist's label could "buy" a slot on Idol? I suppose anything's possible. Katy Perry's $25 Million/year salary isn't going to pay for itself. But, BMG is an indie and Kylie budgets aren't what they were in the Fever era. And her most fruitful efforts will remain in the UK, Europe an Australia, so I imagine they're holding budget until closer to the album release in those markets.

It honestly just could be that programmers like her and saw her small, but passionate fanbase filling a niche in the Finale lineup that was worth the 3 mins of airtime. Despite her relatively low profile in the U.S., it seems like bookers like her here and like playing on the cache of her being a much bigger star globally. In the past 2-3 campaigns she's done Fallon, Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers, James Corden, America's Got Talent, Dancing with the Stars, Good Morning America, the Today Show and probably some others I've forgotten about.

by Anonymousreply 114May 22, 2023 1:03 PM

Who's the whore that comes in and steals Kylie's thunder in this AI performance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 22, 2023 1:35 PM

R115 - She's a contestant who got eliminated earlier in the season. And, she's apparently spoken with gratitude for getting to sing with one of her childhood icons. She's from Georgie (the country), so I don't think that's just some lipservice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 22, 2023 1:58 PM

R116 How did an eliminated contestant get to share the spotlight with an iconic performer like Kylie? Did she blow somebody?

by Anonymousreply 117May 22, 2023 2:06 PM

You think Debbie Gibson threads still gets 117 replies?

by Anonymousreply 118May 22, 2023 2:09 PM

All the stars performing last night shared their time with contestants.

by Anonymousreply 119May 22, 2023 6:00 PM

Thank you OP for posting about this, I'll always have love for Kylie but I don't really keep up with her, haven't been too interested in her later work. This is easily the best thing she's done since her Body Language era so I'm definitely paying attention to what comes next from her!

by Anonymousreply 120May 22, 2023 11:54 PM

R120 - my pleasure! I was kinda cool to the song originally, but I cannot get that damn earworm out of my head now. And, I've really warmed to it. Kylie is one of the few artists who can balance coolness with a slight silliness and pull it all off. The song has a bit more bite and edge than her most recent work and, yet, the title also has a playfulnesss and even silliness that wouldn't work in another artist's hands.

by Anonymousreply 121May 23, 2023 1:46 AM

Kyla should have her twin horse face/horse body SJP as her cohost. It'd be a wheeeeeeeeee-nin combo.

by Anonymousreply 122May 23, 2023 10:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 24, 2023 4:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 24, 2023 4:37 AM

I like her gameboy song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 24, 2023 6:07 AM

I love the song and really hope it can be her next hit here in the States. To all those trashing her, I get not liking her voice (truth be told, he live voice isn't my favorite), but are you saying she's a bad singer and shouldn't be making albums? That's just being obtuse. For every 1000 recording artists, there's maybe 1 or 2 who actually have legitimate talent, and even then, sometimes that talent is fleeting (e.g Adele). Otherwise, they were the most talented kid in their podunk high school who got discovered and a recording gig where they were auto-tuned to heck. Plus, let's be good to her; she survived cancer and she's a classic and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 126May 24, 2023 6:54 AM

R125 Kylie always finds a way to breathe new life into the song when performing it live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 24, 2023 6:56 AM

Why would you try to engage or reason with trolls? They are here to attack Kylie because they want a reaction, it makes them feel alive. When normal and mentally healthy people see a thread on an artist they don't like, they just scroll by.

by Anonymousreply 128May 24, 2023 7:06 AM

I like Kylie but she's 55. This song won't be a hit anywhere.

She's still releasing catchy new material, so just enjoy that.

by Anonymousreply 129May 24, 2023 10:33 AM

It's already half way up the UK top 40.

by Anonymousreply 130May 24, 2023 11:10 AM

Bullshit r129. It’s already a hit. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 131May 24, 2023 11:24 AM

R127 I love this version with the "Love to Love You, Baby" mix.

But that's not a live performance.

by Anonymousreply 132May 24, 2023 1:21 PM

It's been in the iTunes Global Top 5 since day of release.

by Anonymousreply 133May 24, 2023 6:30 PM

127 - it's a 'hybrid', I guess. From her Infinite Disco special she recorded during the height of the pandemic since she couldn't tour DISCO. That whole show was fabulous. Even some of the cheesier DISCO tracks came out great in that special. I think largely to music direction from Biff and Steve Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 134May 24, 2023 7:11 PM

Kylie has never been huge in the states because she has only toured here once and it was like 9 shows...I was lucky enough to see her in Chicago in some college basketball arena....It was an amazing show and one of the gayest

by Anonymousreply 135May 24, 2023 7:18 PM

r135 - she's actually toured twice in the U.S. The For You, For Me tour and the Aphrodite tour.

by Anonymousreply 136May 24, 2023 7:36 PM

Padam Padam

What's a Padam?

by Anonymousreply 137May 24, 2023 7:46 PM

R137 "Padam" is the sound your heart makes when it beats.

"Padam Padam..."

by Anonymousreply 138May 24, 2023 7:59 PM

It's French. Edith Piaf did a song called 'Padam padam'.

by Anonymousreply 139May 24, 2023 8:00 PM

I don't think it's actually French. I think it's an onomatopoeia in both languages.

by Anonymousreply 140May 24, 2023 8:17 PM

Apparently there was a Tension album listening party for LA gays-in-the-media last night. A music/pop culture blogger posted about it on Twitter, but has since deleted the whole thread? According to him, Kylie attended, listened along with everyone else and answered a few questions. She was apparently coy about any live shows in the U.S. but didn't shut down the possibility. The guy said longtime Kylie fans will enjoy the album, but said Padam Padam was an outlier. He wasn't complimentary about her outfit... maybe that's why he deleted it?

by Anonymousreply 141May 24, 2023 8:30 PM

The various Padam memes are giving me life!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 24, 2023 8:38 PM

Padam sucks as bad as that shitty attempt at a country album she did.

by Anonymousreply 143May 24, 2023 8:59 PM

Kylie MEMEnogue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 25, 2023 4:08 PM

Don't give up, Eldergays!!

[quote]I got the opportunity to hire 60 year old dancer for @kylieminogue video #padam our journey doesn’t stop at a certain age ! So proud of her #PadamPadam #padam #kylieminogue 🔥🔥🔥❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 25, 2023 4:13 PM

ok

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 27, 2023 2:55 PM

55!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 28, 2023 11:56 AM

She deserves all the success and good will, I've never heard a bad word about her. Didn't she used to feature on those airline crew gossip pages as one of the nicest celebs to have onboard?

by Anonymousreply 148May 28, 2023 12:33 PM

I liked Locomotion as a kid and I loved Can't Get You Out of My Head.

Otherwise, I have never gotten the adoration of her music at all.

It's so bland to me, like factory-made gay dance template stuff.

I'm not trolling Kylie herself. She seems so sweet and I'd really love to love her music. I have tried. It's just all totally vapid, less interesting lyrically than even Britney Spears songs. I cannot understand the love of her songs.

I am seeing everywhere online that 'the gays' MUST MUST MUST love her new single. It feels like a conformist mandate. It's not a great song. It's another confection with the depth of a Blow Pop.

Yet everyone is conforming to the mandate.

by Anonymousreply 149May 28, 2023 12:59 PM

R149 Excuse me, Blow Pops have great depth. You have to lick the lollipop to get to the chew gum center.

by Anonymousreply 150May 28, 2023 4:26 PM

R149 - Not even....

Love at First Sight

Slow

The One

Say Something

Crystallize

Confide In Me

...? None of those sound like overly generic, anonymous pop-girl songs.

by Anonymousreply 151May 28, 2023 5:38 PM

R151 don't forget

Put Yourself In My Place

On A Night Like This

I Believe In You

All The Lovers

Did It Again

Breathe

by Anonymousreply 152May 28, 2023 5:47 PM

R151 I kind of like Slow, but the lyrics are still vapid.

I mean, better than the braindead new Beyonce songs, but just barely.

by Anonymousreply 153May 28, 2023 5:50 PM

I dunno, I'm not sure there are many dance pop songs which are lyrical masterpieces. I'm not expecting Dylan'esque lyrics out of dance pop songs.. hell... I'm not even expecting Fleetwood Mac'esque lyrics.

I think you almost need them to be lyrically simple for them to work. Some of Kylie's lyrics are absolutely silly, it's true, but I think she's one of the few artists who can match the silly with the sublime within the same song and make you come away a believer. I mean, even the new song is inherently a bit silly and yet icy and cool at the same time.

Maybe they shouldn't work on paper and, yet, they often do. I think that's just part of her charm.

As for Beyonce, I've never been a massive fan, but I think calling the lyrics to her latest album braindead is a bit over the top. Renaissance is a very layered album (musically, production wise and lyrically.) The lyrical references are innumerable and often pay homage to and uplift LGBT dance music pioneers who came before her. I adore Kylie, but if you're going by lyrics alone, she's never done something as meaningful or ambitious as that (nor would I expect her to.)

by Anonymousreply 154May 29, 2023 1:10 AM

Padam Padam is now #1 most played song on Capital/Heart's Top 40. And that just a week after it was added to their playlist.

For those not in the UK, Capital is a network of pop/hit music stations across the country and part of the largest commercial radio company in the UK. Radio listenership is still very high in the UK compared to the U.S. and Capital has a young audience so it's increasingly rare for an artist of Kylie's age to get airplay on Capital, let alone to have the #1 song on the network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 29, 2023 2:31 AM

Out at the gay bars last night and heard “Padam Padam” probably four times.

“Tension” has an opportunity to be this summer’s “Renaissance.”

by Anonymousreply 156May 29, 2023 2:45 AM

Oh dear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 29, 2023 10:10 AM

R157 Shouldn't you, ya know, actually learn the lyrics to the song before you decide to lip synch it?

by Anonymousreply 158May 29, 2023 10:16 AM

R157 lol

by Anonymousreply 159May 29, 2023 10:20 AM

I'm so sick of all the Tension

by Anonymousreply 160May 29, 2023 10:38 AM

I've really started to warm to the budget Sophie Muller video. And, no, not JUST in comparison to R157. LOL. It is actually better directed and edited than I gave it credit for and it has just the right amount of weirdness as the song, too.

I guess ol Sophie knows how to make the most of a $10,000 video budget.

by Anonymousreply 161May 29, 2023 10:41 AM

Apparently, her wines have now sold more than 9 million bottles since launching. If the average bottle were $20USD (some cost more than that, some cost less) that would be $180 Million since she launched the brand. I wonder what her cut is.

by Anonymousreply 162May 29, 2023 3:24 PM

You think there's a chance this will chart on the Billboard Hot 100 in the U.S.?

The song's getting a lot of buzz and momentum stateside.

by Anonymousreply 163May 29, 2023 3:31 PM

It's a lot more catchy and fun than most of the shite clogging up the US charts

by Anonymousreply 164May 29, 2023 3:35 PM

Is no one else actually annoyed by 'Padam Padam' memes being shoved down our throats and the suggestion that it casts some kind of spell over gay people?

I really don't get it. It just seems like a marketing scheme that works every time on groupthink gays.

The song is fine but gay performative hyperconformity is so alienating to me.

by Anonymousreply 165May 29, 2023 3:38 PM

And I guess when I say her music feels generic to me, this is a good example.

Padam Padam is effectively the same song as this ATC song My Heart Beats Like a Drum. Same genre and a similar overall sound, same concept, lyrics are effectively interchangeable.

And I remember when this group had a few hit-ish singles, they were generally regarded as a paint-by-numbers factorymade Eurodance group assembled by formulaic producers.

Their songs were still catchy. But all the lyrics were basically filler words.

I dunno. Kylie's music seems universally adored and so this does seem to just be a case of me missing a chip that would make me get what is special about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 29, 2023 3:44 PM

r163 - yes, I think there's a chance it could continue to build over the early summer and make it into the Billboard 100, but I will be VERY surprised if it makes it anywhere near the top. It's apparently on track to hit the top 20 in the UK this week and THAT is being heralded as major news in her most favorable market, so I think charting anywhere in the Billboard 100 would be remarkable in the U.S. now. I would not be surprised if it does well on the Billboard dance charts. I think she's earned a few #1s on those charts over the years.

by Anonymousreply 167May 29, 2023 3:46 PM

Yes, R53, she died last week.

by Anonymousreply 168May 29, 2023 3:52 PM

Good one r168!!

by Anonymousreply 169May 29, 2023 4:15 PM

Padam Padam wtf does that mean? It sounds stupid as hell to see you motherfuckers on here go on and on and on and on about such a stupid ass song title. Talk about having shit 4 brains! I like Minogue but give it a fucking rest. Go get some fresh air! Listen to something else for an hour or two! Fuck me!

by Anonymousreply 170May 29, 2023 4:18 PM

R170 if you expect us to fuck you we'll need a picture first. To make sure you make our hearts go

by Anonymousreply 171May 29, 2023 4:32 PM

R170 Thanks for weighing in, Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 172May 29, 2023 4:35 PM

I just found out why the sluts like this song especially.

“Padam Padam I know you wanna take me home.

Padam Padam and take off all my clothes”

Slut song

by Anonymousreply 173May 29, 2023 5:03 PM

I’m a Kylie fan and listen to all of her stuff. Unfortunately, this single sucks. It won’t be added to my Kylie playlist.

by Anonymousreply 174May 29, 2023 5:04 PM

R174 maybe you just need to take it home & get to know it close?

by Anonymousreply 175May 29, 2023 5:13 PM

R174 I'd be interested in your opinion in what songs should (or should not) have been Kylie singles over the years?

by Anonymousreply 176May 29, 2023 5:14 PM

It's okay, girls, we don't all have to like the same things.

by Anonymousreply 177May 29, 2023 5:14 PM

R174, I’m another fan who is lukewarm on this single.

by Anonymousreply 178May 29, 2023 6:16 PM

Yeah, I’m not feeling it at all.

by Anonymousreply 179May 29, 2023 7:31 PM

R176 I think most of her singles were great choices. Not this time out. I hope the rest of the new album isn’t this lackluster.

by Anonymousreply 180May 29, 2023 7:32 PM

She's poised to hit the U.S. Billboard Top Ten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181May 31, 2023 1:28 PM

Um, no. Kylie is not going to be anywhere near the Top 10 in the U.S. That "article" at R181 was written by some random 19 year old in India who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and is misinterpreting reporting from other sources. There's a *possibility* she might enter the Billboard 100 eventually but even that may be a little ways off for her. The new Billboard 100, dated June 3, was just published, and she's not there... yet.

The last time Kylie entered the Billboard 100 (which is for individual songs), was in 2004 with 'Slow'. She's had better luck on the Billboard 200 (album sales) and the more specialized dance charts.

See this week's Billboard 100 here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 31, 2023 3:55 PM

Padam Padam IS #12 on the Billboard Hot Dance / Electronic Songs Chart.

Explanation of Billboard Hot Dance / Electronics Songs chart: [quote]The week’s most popular songs, ranked by audio and video streaming activity on leading digital music services, radio airplay audience impressions based on monitored airplay and sales data, all compiled by Luminate. Audience totals are derived, in part, using certain Nielsen Audio listener estimates.

As you can see from her chart history on the Hot Dance / Electronics Songs chart (link below) she's made it onto this chart many times. Note: this chart hasn't been in existence as long as her career. It's why you wouldn't see Can't Get You Out of My Head on here, as you would expect to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183May 31, 2023 3:58 PM

I'm not going to post every Billboard chart she's made, but here you can use the drop down menu on Billboard.com to see them.

Some highlights...

Billboard Hot 100 peak: #3 - Locomotion (Can't Get You Out of My Head peaked at #7),

Billboard 200 peak: #3 for Fever

Artist 100 peak: #26 (during the Disco era),

Radio Songs peak: #8 for Can't Get You Out of My Head,

Top Album Sales peak: #2 for Disco (this is pure album sales, no streams counted),

Top Dance/Electronic Albums peak: #1 for Disco,

Dance Club Songs: She has EIGHT #1s! The most recent being Dancing (I think she'd have even more recent ones if it weren't for clubs being closed due to Covid, of course),

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184May 31, 2023 4:10 PM

Padam Padam HAS been the #1 selling song on the Billboard Dance / Electronic Digital Song Sales chart for two weeks in a row. It strictly measures sales (not streams). Okay, that's enough. Sorry for multiple posts, but you can only put one link per post.

by Anonymousreply 185May 31, 2023 4:12 PM

Back in the day she would have been no.1 in the UK already as she topped the sales chart. Just not strong enough (yet) on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 186May 31, 2023 4:39 PM

Is it just streams on paid sites that count towards chart positions? I bet there are industry employees whose jobs it is to stream their artist's tracks day in and day out to boast "success". Sales & downloads, whilst still open to manipulation, seem a better way to compile a chart.

by Anonymousreply 187May 31, 2023 4:51 PM

R187 - it would be meaningless to have charts based solely upon physical and digital sales. For better or worse, things have evolved and streaming is dominant. That said, there are charts solely for streaming as well as charts solely for digital and physical sales. But, yes, the main charts are a hybrid of both.

by Anonymousreply 188May 31, 2023 5:10 PM

R188 I guess you're right, I just meant if anyone can stream the sing for free then the chart no longer represents what's "selling". I can totally understand the inclusion of paid streams.

I've lost interest in new music (apart from the occasion catchy song) as I get older.

by Anonymousreply 189May 31, 2023 5:16 PM

Her new song is pure shit!

by Anonymousreply 190May 31, 2023 5:17 PM

R190 what songs of Kylie's do you actually like, as a matter of interest?

I wouldn't say it's a great song but it's very catchy

by Anonymousreply 191May 31, 2023 5:28 PM

R189 - Streams are still "paid" media, but through a different model. Most streaming services have a "freemium" model in which the free version of the app is ad-supported. So, the platform is earning advertising revenue when you listen and are served ads in-between your streams. But, Spotify free (ad-supported), for example, does not let users choose which tracks they're listening to on-demand. Users who pay for the premium service (which is now more than 40% of Spotify users) allows the user to choose which songs they're listening to on demand. And every time one of us streams one of those songs, the artist earns a teeny tiny commission. The combination of the ad revenue + subscriber fees are the source of the "sales" back to the artists.

Of course, you have to have a hell of a lot streams to make meaningful sums off of Spotify and Apple Music etc. For example, in 2022, it's estimated that The Weeknd earned more than $13 million from streams of his inescapable song 'Blinding Lights'. The song was played more than 3 BILLION times to earn that revenue, though.

Based upon those Blinding Lights numbers, Kylie's Can't Get You Out of My Head will have earned her about $1.5 million from about 365 million streams. (These are just Spotify numbers)

by Anonymousreply 192May 31, 2023 5:50 PM

R191 I like 90% of all of her music. I’m not a Kylie Stan. When she puts out something shitty, which is rare, I’m gonna call it.

by Anonymousreply 193May 31, 2023 5:56 PM

Maybe we SHOULDN'T be encouraging Gen Z gays to 'discover' Kylie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194June 1, 2023 7:06 AM

"Meanwhile, Kylie Minogue’s Padamic is sweeping the country. The catchy electro-pop number “Padam Padam” is on the rise, and could crack the top 20 for the first time."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 1, 2023 10:52 AM

I don't believe this for a second...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196June 1, 2023 6:13 PM

R194 a good reason to gag

by Anonymousreply 197June 1, 2023 9:20 PM

r197

by Anonymousreply 198June 1, 2023 9:37 PM

I'm not r190 but, Chocolate, for a start. That should have been a single.

by Anonymousreply 199June 1, 2023 10:21 PM

R199 Chocolate was the third single from her Bridget Bardot album, peaked at no.6 in the UK. If memory serves it had a really basic video, they probably blew the budget on all those male models in "Slow".

by Anonymousreply 200June 2, 2023 12:41 AM

I don't know if I'd describe the Chocolate video as basic. I thought it was lovely. It was directed by Dawn Shadforth (Can't Get You Out of My Head) and choreographed by Michael Rooney (Mickey Rooney's son and choreographer of 'Slow' as well.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 2, 2023 12:29 PM

“Spinning Around” (on several Gap playlists in 2000!) is Kylie’s best video because of the hunky men dancing in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202June 2, 2023 12:33 PM

Kylie's featured on Jake Shear's new album. This is nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203June 2, 2023 12:38 PM

R201 you're right, it's a good vid. I was probably misremembering it as being like the videos for "The One" or "Get Outta My Way". She looks beautiful there

by Anonymousreply 204June 2, 2023 12:42 PM

Icons supporting icons. ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 2, 2023 7:17 PM

Love that Jake Shears song. Feels like a late Fall/early Winter single.

by Anonymousreply 206June 2, 2023 9:15 PM

The Kylie historians can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jake and/or Scissor Sisters worked with Kylie on a couple of numbers like this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207June 2, 2023 9:20 PM

and this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208June 2, 2023 9:21 PM

Yeah, I believe In You was kept off the Christmas No.1 slot by a re-release of Do They Know It's Christmas. It's her highest peaking single since Slow went to no.1 in 2003

by Anonymousreply 209June 3, 2023 9:22 AM

I'm the person from above who has never been able to 'connect' with her music, as likable as I think she is.

I just listened to her exclusively via Spotify while working out. I liked most of the songs. One was a strange slow duet with a man with a deep voice that threw me. I didn't really like it but I was impressed she recorded something with a different sound than the electronic stuff I've heard.

Several songs sounded to me like they could be on a Britney Spears album. Exactly the same kind of music and lyrics, but equally well produced.

Don't scream at me thinking this is a critisim; it's just an observation based on my auditory processors: her voice really sounds like it is smack in between Britney's baby voice and Madonna's nasal high range. And her voice usually sounds to me like it is more processed than Madonna's usually is and less than Britney's always is.

I still don't feel anything 'special' in her music but it did make me want to keep moving.

And from everything I have heard of her, she seems like a lovely person, so good for her success.

by Anonymousreply 210June 3, 2023 2:53 PM

R210 we all have our own tastes. Cathy Denis (writer of Can't Get You Out Of My Head) offered "Toxic" to Kylie who refused it (or her label did) so there's definitely some overlap in writers/music sounding similar as they were both making popular pop songs for the era's tastes.

The ballad you mention is "Where The Wild Roses Grow" from 1995, during Kylie's more "experimental" phase. Many were shocked someone as "cool" as Nick Cave from The Bad Seeds would collaborate with Kylie as she was dismissed a lot at this time by the British media who bullied her for trying to be more than a generic SAW pop singer.

She deserves credit for trying different sounds in the 90s when she could have gone the safe route and stuck with what had brought her huge success at the start of her career - simple pop.

She returned to pop/disco in 2000 and I think there's even an interview where mild-mannered Kylie slapped the faces of some music journalists who had been especially cruel to her when she wasn't so popular in the 90s. Ironically, her "Impossible Princess" album which didn't do well at the time is now considered a brilliant piece of work but the initial dismissal made her retreat from taking so many risks in the future or being so personal with her lyrics.

Her music isn't especially ground breaking but she's a born entertainer who puts in a great show and has taken some risks in the past. She is very happy to admit her sexy persona is/was just "end-of-the-pier" fun and it makes her laugh to be considered a sex symbol. And as you said anyone who's met her says she's lovely and doesn't give herself airs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211June 3, 2023 3:31 PM

I personally love "Some Kind Of Bliss" from Impossible Princess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212June 3, 2023 3:39 PM

And her 1994 "Put Yourself In My Place". If you have a dirty mind you could the lyric to mean Put (your dick) in my "place"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 3, 2023 3:44 PM

Last one: Confide in me. Her only big hit between leaving Stock, Aiken & Waterman and getting her (beautiful) arse out in "Spinning Around" 8 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214June 3, 2023 3:47 PM

R214 - have you seen the Golden tour performance of Confide in Me? It's killer. Takes the song to a whole other level.

by Anonymousreply 215June 3, 2023 5:22 PM

No R215 haven't seen that!

by Anonymousreply 216June 3, 2023 5:30 PM

It starts at about 16:33 here. I don't always like it when the pop gals 'rock out', but in this case it works REALLY well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217June 3, 2023 5:40 PM

r217 was in response to r216. Sorry for not tagging.

by Anonymousreply 218June 3, 2023 5:41 PM

Oh my! That's... um... not subtle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 3, 2023 5:55 PM

Thanks R218 I am very impressed. She is great at reinterpretation of her old songs!

by Anonymousreply 220June 3, 2023 10:20 PM

R220 - Agreed. I mean, just look at the myriad reinterpretations of 'Slow'. I think Bowie would've liked this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 4, 2023 7:35 AM

She’s heading for the top 10 in the UK singles chart this week. I’m still a bit lukewarm on the song itself but love that she’s having some decent chart success in amongst all the crap that does well now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2023 1:54 AM

r222 - wow! Good for her. Those are early looks at the charts and I saw on Instagram she was promoting a physical CD single of Padam Padam, so... my guess is that her early numbers are very positive because of that, but because she's not a streaming powerhouse, I wouldn't anticipate that she'd hold onto that #6 position as the weekly chart gets finalized. But, somewhere in the mid teens or possibly still within the top 10 looks within reach. How exciting!

by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2023 3:34 AM

This is cute. I'm struck by two things...

Kylie's genuine warmth -- look at her adorably interacting with the young girl dancer between takes.

Kylie moves so well. No, she's never been a great dancer, but she knows how to move and position her body so well.

Is that good ol Sophie Muller sitting on the bed with Kylie at one point?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224June 6, 2023 8:47 PM

Not one attractive dancer in the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 225June 6, 2023 9:16 PM

Did they film a night scene?

by Anonymousreply 226June 6, 2023 9:25 PM

She didn't wear that fluffy wrap in the vid?

by Anonymousreply 227June 6, 2023 9:25 PM

R226 and R227 There's lots of footage that gets shot that doesn't end up in the final cut.

by Anonymousreply 228June 6, 2023 9:27 PM

Well, this is disturbing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229June 6, 2023 9:30 PM

R229 - LOL! A little... avian?

by Anonymousreply 230June 6, 2023 9:34 PM

R229 It looks like she's being skewered on a pole that's up her ass.

by Anonymousreply 231June 6, 2023 9:38 PM

So she shot a scene against a green screen that got cut? And they filmed something at night? They should use the cut scenes for an extended version, the song is too short!

Also, how did they get that cape blowing up behind her without wrecking her hair as she dances on the car?

by Anonymousreply 232June 6, 2023 9:52 PM

Go touch grass!

by Anonymousreply 233June 6, 2023 9:55 PM

R232 I'm guessing it was a plastic wig on her head.

by Anonymousreply 234June 6, 2023 9:57 PM

R234 wow never occured to me! Is that a thing?

by Anonymousreply 235June 6, 2023 11:47 PM

R235 Yes, there are synthetic wigs designed to withstand wind machines like the one in Kylie's video.

by Anonymousreply 236June 7, 2023 3:01 AM

R236 any other interesting facts? I honestly would never have considered that haha

by Anonymousreply 237June 7, 2023 7:17 AM

I just looked up the lyrics and discovered she is singing 'shivers and cold champagne.'

All I could hear was 'shivers and kosher things.'

by Anonymousreply 238June 7, 2023 11:49 AM

Try “I like u” from Tove Lo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239June 7, 2023 3:25 PM

Try “Wet” from Claud

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240June 7, 2023 3:26 PM

Ha!! Kylie's a Barbie girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241June 8, 2023 7:43 PM

R241 Very creative!

by Anonymousreply 242June 8, 2023 7:47 PM

This can't be Kylie's FIRST top 10 dance/electronic song in the U.S.??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243June 9, 2023 3:04 AM

She's had several number ones on the Billboard dance chart. This is one of Billboards what-the-fuck-is-this charts.

by Anonymousreply 244June 9, 2023 4:57 AM

Oh, so this is... what a newer chart, R244?

by Anonymousreply 245June 9, 2023 5:34 AM

Yea I think it's a new one. She's had 10 US dance no.1's bearing in mind most of her songs between her first album and CGYOOMH weren't given a US release so didn't chart.

by Anonymousreply 246June 9, 2023 8:17 AM

after reading the mindless, blind devotion replies, i'm turned off

by Anonymousreply 247June 9, 2023 12:00 PM

The Billboard Dance chart is the true measure of an ARTISTE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248June 9, 2023 12:04 PM

#12 in the UK. Up eleven spots from last week when it was #23. Her highest charting single in the UK in more than a decade. Looks like she could get top 10 in the weeks ahead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249June 9, 2023 11:39 PM

R249 while I feel it should be higher I like that it's gaining momentum!

by Anonymousreply 250June 9, 2023 11:59 PM

Kylie stans

by Anonymousreply 251June 10, 2023 12:26 AM

Kylie was a surprise guest at Capital FM's big summertime show at Wembley Stadium today. Lucky ducks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252June 11, 2023 7:10 PM

I'd give a couple of those dancers at R252 a blowie

by Anonymousreply 253June 11, 2023 7:30 PM

This Mum was VERY excited by the surprise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 11, 2023 7:43 PM

r353 - she's always known her audience when casting dancers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255June 11, 2023 7:48 PM

Not on the US top 100 chart or any of the streaming charts. Despite all the basic bitch gays, trying to foist the mediocre song upon the world, no one bit, and she’s definitely no Morgan Wallen. The Yassss Kweens who are always decked out in nail polish, rainbow flags, and hideous slut clothes, have turned us all into cartoon characters and made us lose our cultural gatekeeper status.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 11, 2023 8:33 PM

Is she really only 55? Why does it feel like she has been making music forEVER?

by Anonymousreply 257June 11, 2023 8:53 PM

R256 go take your face for a shite!

by Anonymousreply 258June 11, 2023 9:09 PM

The dancing is Thriller with gay zombies

by Anonymousreply 259June 11, 2023 9:18 PM

I’m an Old, at least in DL standards, and I rarely ever know what’s popular in current music…but even I have been hearing about this song everywhere and just assumed it is a big hit. It’s not on the actual Billboard Hot 100 at all?? That’s weird.

by Anonymousreply 260June 11, 2023 9:18 PM

R257 because she stopped changing around the year 2000

by Anonymousreply 261June 11, 2023 9:22 PM

The only place the song is popular is gayville

by Anonymousreply 262June 11, 2023 9:23 PM

r260 - it's on the cusp of becoming a top 10 hit in the UK. In the US it's #1 on some Billboard Dance/Electronic chart, but, no, it's not in the Hot 100 (yet?).

At the end of the day, we all live in our own, custom bubbles online so it might feel like Padam Padam is everywhere, but for the majority of the American gen pop the song doesn't exist.

I do think it will eventually enter the Billboard Hot 100 but I don't think it will come anywhere close to the top of the chart like she did, briefly in her Locomotion and Fever eras.

by Anonymousreply 263June 11, 2023 9:36 PM

If Madonna had recorded this she would have been full Dominatrix in the video, with her ass and tits out, writhing in fishnets and snapping whips

by Anonymousreply 264June 11, 2023 9:41 PM

Outside of the Drag Race crowd it’s a flop

by Anonymousreply 265June 11, 2023 9:45 PM

yeah, this is very exciting for Kylie, but U.S. fans should temper our expectations. She's only had two top 10 hits on the Billboard 100 in a 5-decade career (Locomotion #3, Can't Get You Out of My Head #7. ) And, the last time Kylie was in the Billboard 100 was February of 2004 when Slow was 91. That year, Usher and Lil Jon were #1 with 'Yeah'. Doesn't that feel like a million years ago?

by Anonymousreply 266June 11, 2023 11:55 PM

Kylie, below the stage of Wembley Stadium

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267June 12, 2023 12:42 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268June 13, 2023 2:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269June 14, 2023 12:18 AM

Kylie under the stage where she was forced after releasing the boring and tedious Shithole Shithole single to her moronic Drag Race fans

by Anonymousreply 270June 14, 2023 12:30 AM

Padam Padam song of the game at the Chicago Cubs v. Pittsburgh Pirates game at Wrigley Stadium. LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 14, 2023 2:44 AM

Surprised BMG hasn't taken this down. Low quality snippet of the title song here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272June 14, 2023 2:55 AM

R271 Where does it say "Padam Padam" was the song of the game?

by Anonymousreply 273June 14, 2023 10:36 AM

r273 - it must have been updated. There was a three-song vote between Cher's 'Believe', Kylie's 'Padam Padam' and one other song which I am totally drawing a blank on. And Padam Padam won with ~45% of the vote. The song was played during the fifth inning. Obviously, it was Pride Night at Wrigley.

by Anonymousreply 274June 14, 2023 11:26 AM

R219, stuff like that annoys me. I appreciate his love of the song, but it's baffling to me that these fat drag queens think any attractive man sees them as anything sexual. That video is gross. Have to admit though, that guy is highly passable and quite beautiful as a woman. And those poor kids in the self-made videos. God I feel for them, I used to be like that. God I am so glad there were no camera phones back in my early days.

by Anonymousreply 275June 15, 2023 5:01 PM

There's a pan for every lid.

by Anonymousreply 276June 15, 2023 11:26 PM

R276 OBVIOUSLY. Life never ceases to amaze.

by Anonymousreply 277June 15, 2023 11:30 PM

New Extended Mix and video. I prefer the original (the original's more tightly constructed,) but for those who wanted a longer version, here you go. I guess it is fun seeing some new shots from the video shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278June 16, 2023 9:35 AM

R278 I like this one. It doesn't remix the song; just extends so we can enjoy it longer.

by Anonymousreply 279June 16, 2023 10:07 AM

“Padam Padam takes Kylie's career tally of Top 10 singles to an incredible 35. She scored her first Top 10 single in 1988 with I Should Be So Lucky – the first of her seven Number hits to date – which means career run of Top 10s now stretches to 35 years. With Top 10 hits in the 1980s, ‘90s, ‘00s, 2010s and ‘20s, Kylie becomes only the fourth female solo artist to score Top 10 hits in five consecutive decades. The other enduring chart queens are Cher, Diana Ross, and Lulu, who each scored Top 10 hits in the 1960s, ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s and 2000s.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280June 16, 2023 6:33 PM

R280 thanks for posting, very glad it's doing well!

by Anonymousreply 281June 16, 2023 8:16 PM

R282 you’re welcome and I am too. I’ve been a fan of hers for decades and while I don’t LOVE the new song, I am thrilled that it’s doing so well for her.

by Anonymousreply 282June 16, 2023 8:55 PM

Why so self-congratulatory, r282?

by Anonymousreply 283June 17, 2023 1:38 AM

Good for Kylie! At this stage, clearly, she was not expecting to bother the UK Top 10 again.

by Anonymousreply 284June 17, 2023 4:30 AM

Anyone see her in NY tonight?

by Anonymousreply 285June 18, 2023 5:19 AM

ny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286June 19, 2023 2:39 AM

Rumors: US tour and a duet with Madonna. I hope the second part is false.

by Anonymousreply 287June 19, 2023 11:51 AM

Madonna leaches onto whoever is hot so watch out Kylie.

by Anonymousreply 288June 19, 2023 12:09 PM

R287 Kylie would be a fool to let Madonna drag her down.

by Anonymousreply 289June 19, 2023 2:07 PM

Don't do it, Kylie! Don't let that hag kill a potential U.S. comeback!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290June 19, 2023 3:17 PM

There is no way in hell Kylie's management would allow this to occur.

by Anonymousreply 291June 19, 2023 3:31 PM

I think she was just bring polite when Madonna did her Rebel Heart tour she was in town when Kylie was. Kylie was noticeably NOT at the show, despite fans speculating the two would duet. Kylie's not being at the show was a very good thing because that was the tour where Madonna would call celebrities up on stage and bump and grind them and every single one of them looked like idiots, from Anderson Cooper to Katy Perry and so on. Instead, a drunk-assed Madge wandered the stage singing Can't Get You Out of My Head and asking where Kylie was. I doubt she will ever do anything with her unless Kylie has complete control--which you know Madonna would never agree to.

by Anonymousreply 292June 19, 2023 10:41 PM

I don't see it happening, either. One reason being ageism. As in ageism on Madonna's part. Look at who Madonna DOES collaborate with... Sam Smith, Dua Lipa, The Wkend, M.I.A., Kanye, Nicki Minaj, Quavo, Swae Lee, Anitta, Chance the Rapper, Britney Spears, Maluma, Nas etc. They were all significantly younger than her when they collaborated. While Kylie is younger than Madonna, no way that Madonna seems a 55-year old woman in her fifth decade of making music as young.

by Anonymousreply 293June 19, 2023 11:14 PM

Kween Kylie

by Anonymousreply 294June 21, 2023 10:09 PM

[Quote] no way that Madonna seems a 55-year old woman in her fifth decade of making music as young.

R293 that’s because Madonna will be 65 years old in August. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 295June 21, 2023 10:24 PM

R295 the poster was talking about Kylie being 55

by Anonymousreply 296June 21, 2023 10:47 PM

R296 that’s not what she typed. Sorry you’re so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 297June 21, 2023 10:51 PM

R293 meant to type “While Kylie is younger than Madonna, no way that Madonna SEES* a 55-year old woman in her fifth decade of making music as young”

It’s pretty obvious that’s what he meant to type if you read the whole post

by Anonymousreply 298June 21, 2023 11:22 PM

R298 0/10

by Anonymousreply 299June 21, 2023 11:35 PM

Kylie's on the Today Show Thursday morning. (not sure if interview, performance or both)

by Anonymousreply 300June 22, 2023 3:53 AM

It's a bit early for Padam Padam but I'll watch, thanks R300!

by Anonymousreply 301June 22, 2023 6:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302June 22, 2023 7:19 AM

I don't really understand UK radio, so someone correct me if I have anything wrong, but apparently BBC Radio 1 is the biggest pop music station in the UK, but, as part of BBC they have a broadcasting mandate to cater specifically to a young audience of those under 30 years old. As such, older artists (especially older women) rarely get playlisted on BBC Radio 1. But, funnily enough, BBC Radio 1 also has a weekly chartshow where they countdown the biggest selling songs in the UK that week based upon the UK Official Charts org. And Padam Padam has been climbing up that chart every week (now, officially a top 10 song in the UK.) But even after it kept climbing the chart, they wouldn't play the song and took heat for it. So, now they've officially playlisted the song which is, apparently, the first time the've done so with a Kylie song since the Aphrodite (2010) era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303June 22, 2023 8:09 AM

R303 pretty much. It's very hard to get a hit in the UK (or US) if you're older as they refuse to play you. Blatant ageism.

That's probably why Madonna pursues collaborations, it's the only way to get radio airplay

by Anonymousreply 304June 22, 2023 10:30 AM

Now even some of the straight women at work are talking about and loving this song. Hard to believe it’s not anywhere on the US Hot 100, but I don’t really understand how that all works these days.

by Anonymousreply 305June 22, 2023 10:46 AM

R305: What city do you live in?

by Anonymousreply 306June 22, 2023 10:53 AM

Yeah, it's tough to get onto the Hot 100 without a combination of radio playlisting and streaming playlisting (getting added to much-listened-to playlists on Spotify, Apple Music etc.)

It keeps hovering in or close to the top 10 on Spotify's Daily Viral Songs for the USA chart which suggests it *could* be gaining some steam in the US, but not enough yet.

by Anonymousreply 307June 22, 2023 10:59 AM

Too bad the song isn’t being used in big show like Stranger Things, like the Kate Bush song that went to #3 last year.

by Anonymousreply 308June 22, 2023 11:13 AM

The Guardian...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309June 22, 2023 12:40 PM

This week is the 11th anniversary of Kylie's clap back at this clueless tweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 22, 2023 12:47 PM

Hoda and Jenna fangirling:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311June 22, 2023 2:36 PM

On Today, Kylie seemed to pretty much (almost) confirm that a Vegas residency would be coming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312June 22, 2023 2:39 PM

R309 “Queering”? Oh, The Guardian never change.

by Anonymousreply 313June 22, 2023 5:44 PM

Today show interview where the Vegas residency seems to be confirmed. Don't know what the fuck she's wearing, but her makeup looks gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314June 23, 2023 2:12 AM

There are definitely gays on the production team there...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 23, 2023 2:14 AM

R314 Jesus, those fucking cackling hens barely let Kylie get a word in edge-wise. But Kylie is a consummate professional - poised, charming, friendly.

And she knows what she needs to do to get this song on the charts in America - get up out of your chair, go join the crew (the people who download music and can make things go viral), and get them into it. Smart woman, she is.

by Anonymousreply 316June 23, 2023 1:58 PM

R314 Who's the annoying Asian bitch?

"You're 55."

"You had breast cancer."

"What does Padam Padam mean, anyway?"

by Anonymousreply 317June 23, 2023 2:53 PM

Lol R317 what a nosy sow!

by Anonymousreply 318June 23, 2023 2:54 PM

R317 Yeah. I'm surprised she didn't throw in, "You had a boyfriend who died from autoerotic asphyxiation..."

by Anonymousreply 319June 23, 2023 2:58 PM

"Do you regret paying for Joshua Sasse's hairplugs?"

by Anonymousreply 320June 23, 2023 4:23 PM

R150 was sucking her daddy's "lollipop" from the time she was a foetus. She gives the best cock sucking advice fo sho.

by Anonymousreply 321June 23, 2023 4:25 PM

R297 you are a fucking moron

by Anonymousreply 322June 23, 2023 9:08 PM

Try and ignore the annoying Andy Cohen in this interview, but at about the :55 mark, Kylie does that computer-generated woman's voice you hear in a lot of Tik Tok posts, and she's pretty good at it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323June 23, 2023 10:05 PM

R322 You made the fucking typo and you’re calling me a moron? Lmao. Keep it up ass clapper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324June 23, 2023 11:09 PM

R324.

by Anonymousreply 325June 24, 2023 12:01 AM

Breaking news from the Washington Post!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326June 24, 2023 3:03 AM

Padam Padam climbs one spot this week, up to #8 in the Official Singles Chart of the UK. Highest level yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327June 24, 2023 3:07 AM

Hopefully with added airplay it can go higher yet. It's also descended into the top 20 in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 328June 24, 2023 8:06 AM

Apparently she surprised clubgoers at some Pride night thing in NY last night. Imagine going to a club and Kylie shows up as a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 329June 24, 2023 12:10 PM

The leaks are starting again. This time it looks like they're songs that didn't make the cut for Tension. "Running" sounds very Miley. Kylie's vocal is very strong... even in what is presumably an unmastered track, but the song's just okay.

by Anonymousreply 330June 24, 2023 4:48 PM

She seems to be doing well without being dependent on the US market…good for her!

by Anonymousreply 331June 24, 2023 4:54 PM

Kylie makes smart choices (leading with Padam Padam) and dumb choices (leaving Running on the cutting room floor.) Running is great. It sounds so contemporary and fresh. This could be a hit for someone like Miley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332June 25, 2023 5:44 AM

Pride DJs speak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333June 26, 2023 4:20 PM

Kylie is a sweet soul. She aged gracefully. I like she's not catty and always supports other female artists. She's praised Madonna, Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce and Janet and many others. She and Rick Astley never talked poorly of their beginnings as SAW artists and still perform their old tunes. That lack of pretentiousness is refreshing

by Anonymousreply 334June 26, 2023 5:47 PM

How is it that Padam Padam hasn't cracked the Billboard Hot 100? It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 335June 27, 2023 9:15 PM

R335 - Cracking the Hot 100 is tough without at least one of these...

- Massive streaming numbers on Spotify, Apple Music etc. - Massive American audience - Playlisting on hundreds of radio stations - Playlisting on the curated, most listened to playlists on Spotify, Apple Music etc.

It SEEMS like Padam, Padam is everywhere because it is... for those of us in certain circles. We live in content bubbles so it feels like the song is ubiquitous, but most of its context (thus far) in the U.S. has been very gay-centric. Guarantee you all the media coverage of Padam in the U.S. is by fellow gays (whether writers at NY Times, Vulture, Wash Post or bookers or segment producers at American Idol, Today Show etc.)

I think it's still possible for it to enter the Hot 100 sometime this summer, but it will take longer to get there and no way in hell will it be top 10 as it is in the U.K. That's okay, Kylie seems genuinely happy and energized. I think it's going to be a really fun era as the album rolls out.

by Anonymousreply 336June 27, 2023 10:34 PM

R336 Kylie was on The Today Show last week promoting the song, so it's breaking out of the gay-centric demographic.

Hell, I was at the baseball game last Saturday, and one of the songs they played as the crowd was walking in was Padam Padam. So it's definitely out there.

by Anonymousreply 337June 28, 2023 12:39 AM

This must annoy Madge and Janet…a little bit…

by Anonymousreply 338June 28, 2023 1:19 AM

R337 - I know, I saw her on the Today show. My point was that I bet you that most of the writers, editors, bookers and producers who are talking about Padam Padam in the 'mainstream' US media right now (whether NY Times, Washington Post or Today Show) are as gay as us. In other words, she's not getting all this media in the U.S. because the song has hit with the U.S. gen pop (yet), but because gays in media are doing their duty and getting her booked. And God bless them for it. Maybe eventually it will pay off in terms of U.S. charts. But, keep in mind, she hasn't had a single song on the Hot 100 in nearly 20 years -- the last one was Slow in 2004.

If all this media attention doesn't pay off for the Hot 100, I bet it WILL benefit the albums sales. I imagine she's going to chart high on the Billboard 200. The DISCO album debuted at #26. I would not be surprised if she manages a top 10 album with TENSION.

by Anonymousreply 339June 28, 2023 3:20 AM

R335 It should definitely crack the Billboard charts.

Christ, yesterday I heard some insipid piece of trash on the radio called "Cupid" by some cookie cutter K-Pop tarts and saw that it's at #23 on the charts. What the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 340June 28, 2023 2:09 PM

[quote]This must annoy Madge and Janet…a little bit…

In what way?

Madonna has a current single actually charting (with The Weeknd) plus upcoming sold-out shows all over the world.

Janet's current tour is also doing extremely well, selling out every night.

Kylie can't crack the USA Top HUNDRED Singles, and has a little Las Vegas residency to announce.

I'm sure Madonna and Janet are so annoyed by Kylie.

by Anonymousreply 341June 28, 2023 2:56 PM

Janet, Madge or Kylie never competed with each other even in their prime. Why DL pits them against each other, I'll never know. Stan culture ruined pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 342June 28, 2023 3:09 PM

R341 tut tut, Janet is doing just 39 shows. Kylie will never be big in the US and that's cool. Madge is climbing up the charts because of the trendy people she is "collaborating" with

by Anonymousreply 343June 28, 2023 4:21 PM

Then what is there to "annoy" Madonna and Janet?

Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 344June 28, 2023 4:32 PM

R344 I'm not the one to suggest it but possibly the fact Kylie has a viral hit as a solo artist that's completely current with widespread appeal?

by Anonymousreply 345June 28, 2023 5:05 PM

After decades of flying under the radar in North America…suddenly, ZING! So happy for her.

Now Madge will fuck her face up some more and Janet will huff Mac and cheese…

by Anonymousreply 346June 28, 2023 5:20 PM

I actually heard Padam Padam on a Top 40 radio station this morning. There's hope she'll make it onto the charts.

by Anonymousreply 347June 28, 2023 10:11 PM

I heard it on the radio in Orlando, as well. It may be breaking because the station was one of those only top 40, every-other-station-is-playing-it types that never break a record or takes a risk and only play what they know is hitting.

by Anonymousreply 348June 28, 2023 11:15 PM

And just like that... Madonna pushes Kylie out of her brief, brief time in the spotlight.

Good play, Madge.

by Anonymousreply 349June 29, 2023 4:37 PM

Vice President likes Padam Padam (ignore Andy Cohen).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350June 29, 2023 11:32 PM

PRIDE is over, as is PADAM PADAM.

Your move, Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 351July 1, 2023 1:53 PM

Padam is still climbing the charts. If you hear it then you'll know.

by Anonymousreply 352July 1, 2023 5:01 PM

No charts updates?

by Anonymousreply 353July 3, 2023 11:46 PM

You suck ass!

by Anonymousreply 354July 4, 2023 12:03 AM

R354

by Anonymousreply 355July 4, 2023 12:59 AM

#10 this week R353

by Anonymousreply 356July 4, 2023 2:10 AM

She’s #8 again midweek UK. Which would be a return to her peak.

by Anonymousreply 357July 4, 2023 3:08 AM

She's gone to no.10 in Ireland. The rest of the chart looks like crap I've no idea who most of these "artists" are

by Anonymousreply 358July 4, 2023 8:25 AM

No USA improvement?

by Anonymousreply 359July 4, 2023 11:42 AM

no r359. get over it.

by Anonymousreply 360July 4, 2023 11:55 AM

r360

by Anonymousreply 361July 4, 2023 12:06 PM

r361

by Anonymousreply 362July 4, 2023 12:23 PM

Is Cher still the oldest woman to have a US no.1?

I'm not counting Mariah because AIWFCIY goes to no.1 every year

by Anonymousreply 363July 4, 2023 12:30 PM

Kamala's obsessed.

Apparently, the song's been served to U.S. radio now. Maybe there's a modest chance of it charting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364July 6, 2023 1:12 AM

Kylie thanked Spotify for putting the song on a hot playlist today.

by Anonymousreply 365July 6, 2023 1:22 AM

One of her label's execs speaks to the plans for the album. Says they have some surprises planned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366July 6, 2023 5:10 AM

Happy for Kylie.

by Anonymousreply 367July 6, 2023 3:31 PM

Apparently, the song is getting more radio playlisting in the U.S. now. I was in (God forsaken) Oklahoma City of all places for work this past week and heard it in one of my Ubers. The driver was listening to what sounded like one of those Top 40 / "Hit Music" stations.

by Anonymousreply 368July 8, 2023 9:26 PM

Unofficial collab from VP of Design at Lego. Very cute and amazing attention to detail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369July 9, 2023 8:30 PM

R369 That's cute. I love it!

by Anonymousreply 370July 10, 2023 1:19 AM

Kylie's on Watch What Happens Live (along with Adam Lambert) on Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 371July 10, 2023 5:56 AM

Will Kylie conquer the USA for the third time in 35 years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372July 11, 2023 2:38 PM

r372 - doubtful, but I think she could still end up with a minor hit. Padam Padam is apparently not even being officially serviced to U.S. radio until Aug 1 even though several stations have started playing it, so I guess her label is playing the long game.

by Anonymousreply 373July 11, 2023 11:11 PM

Kylie looked nice on Watch What Happens Live. More teasing of that potential Vegas residency, but nothing particularly exciting came up. It was mildly interesting to hear her and Adam Lambert compare notes on the intricacies and challenges of performing pop music live.

by Anonymousreply 374July 12, 2023 3:56 AM

R374 She looked great. She must have a wonderful makeup artist and/or brings her own filters for the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 375July 12, 2023 1:50 PM

At Kylie's level, yes, she most definitely travels with her own hair, makeup, styling people.

by Anonymousreply 376July 13, 2023 4:25 AM

More details on her (yet to be officially announced) Vegas residency here.

According to the Las Vegas Review Journal she'll be the opening headliner for a new hybrid club/theatre venue at the Venetian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377July 13, 2023 4:27 AM

She is such a pro—she was a delightful guest on WWHL.

by Anonymousreply 378July 13, 2023 10:58 AM

so good , should've saved it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379July 14, 2023 6:46 PM

That is a good track. If that’s not good enough to make the record, maybe a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 380July 14, 2023 7:27 PM

R380 I was thinking the same thing. It's a really good song, so that give me hope for the songs that *did* make it.

by Anonymousreply 381July 14, 2023 8:21 PM

It's a different sound for her, too. Could imagine Miley singing the song.

by Anonymousreply 382July 14, 2023 10:28 PM

I watch the Extended Video for PADAM PADAM all the time, and I wish it would show the hot Latino guy more, the one who looks like a gay porn star.

by Anonymousreply 383July 14, 2023 11:26 PM

New remix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384July 18, 2023 3:32 AM

It's happening! I heard her on our Top 40 radio station for the first time this morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385July 20, 2023 2:33 PM

Blow it out your sad ass. The song is no longer new. It’s months old.

by Anonymousreply 386July 20, 2023 7:53 PM

r386

by Anonymousreply 387July 20, 2023 10:22 PM

R386 Madonna has entered the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 388July 21, 2023 12:24 AM

Good grief, R386. Why so quick to anger?

What R385 is referring to is hearing Padam Padam on U.S. Top 40, Hit Music and Dance radio. It might feel like the song has been out forever, but its cultural dominance has been limited primarily to the UK and Australian and 99% of the homosexual population in the U.S.

In the U.K. the song has already been in the top 10 for multiple weeks, been #1 on the very popular Capital FM's playlists, been playlisted by BBC1 (which is highly unusual for them to do with an artist over 40, let alone an artist over 50.) And, at this stage, it has probably peaked in the UK.

But, in the U.S. it's just getting started. BMG has not even serviced the song to U.S. radio yet -- that is scheduled to happen on Aug. 1. So, all U.S. stations currently playing the song are doing so somewhat "organically" before her label officially distributes it as a radio single.

And it's being well received by U.S. DJs and programmers who are taking a shot on it now. Whether it gains some traction after Aug. 1 remains to be seen, but there's potential there for her to have a modest U.S. hit for the first time in 20 years, so that's why it's kind of exciting.

Because of the massive size of the U.S. market it takes a lot longer to go through this process than it does in the U.K. -- especially if you don't already have huge streaming and/or playlisting pull in the U.S. market.

See? I was able to explain that to you without calling you a name or referring to any of your orifices.

by Anonymousreply 389July 21, 2023 4:53 AM

Thank your, R389. You know what you're talking about.

This reminds me of many, many years ago when I was in college and all the gay dance clubs were playing Soft Cell's Tainted Love. Everybody loved that song, but it didn't start getting U.S. airplay until almost 8 months after I had first heard it. It takes a long time for songs from international artists to gain traction.

I really hope Kylie can score another U.S. hit. It would be great for her, especially at age 55.

by Anonymousreply 390July 21, 2023 11:30 AM

It's a disgrace it hasn't done better just because Kylie isn't young and trendy.

by Anonymousreply 391July 21, 2023 11:36 AM

While Padam Padam is now out of the top 10 in the UK (#14) -- specifically, the Official Singles Chart Top 100 (the UK equivalent of the Billboard 100), it is now the #1 playlisted song on radio in the UK! That's wild. Under any circumstances, the success of Padam Padam in her primary market is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 392July 22, 2023 7:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393July 22, 2023 11:29 PM

She definitely conducts herself in a classy fashion. Not like She Who Shall Not Be Named…

by Anonymousreply 394July 23, 2023 1:58 AM

R394 Fuck you, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 395July 23, 2023 2:26 AM

If there were any remaining doubt about the Vegas residency, she's confirmed it. Official announcement must be around the bend...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396July 27, 2023 3:36 AM

Kylie's trending on Twitter for three reasons today:

- People are waiting for her to announce her Vegas residency dates - "Tension"'s August 2nd release - This performance with Sinead:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397July 27, 2023 1:24 PM

^ Sorry for the formatting errors, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 398July 27, 2023 1:34 PM

Here's a snippet of the song "Tension." Ignore the attention whore doing her "look at me!" routine.

Sounds very techno and autotuned and layered up the wazoo, but catchy nonetheless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399July 27, 2023 3:10 PM

She’s going to make good money, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 400July 27, 2023 5:25 PM

Apparently this has been in the works for three years. Guess I'm going to Vegas sometime between Nov and Jan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401July 29, 2023 2:52 AM

Padam Padam has reached #1 on U.S. Dance radio stations. It has also entered the Top 40 on Billboard’s Adult Pop Airplay chart (her first entry since 2002.)

by Anonymousreply 402July 30, 2023 8:18 PM

I was watching the INXS Michael Hutchince documentary "Mystify" the other day and never realized that he broke our Kylie's heart! She was devasted for years afterward.

by Anonymousreply 403July 31, 2023 7:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404August 2, 2023 5:21 AM

Kylie's coming to fleece the gays! I was talking to a friend about doing the show sometime in December, but he has a bad knee and... well... the $200 standing room I'd do (I actually prefer standing at concerts), but I'm sure as shit not doing this table service.

[quote]The 1,000-seat Voltaire, formerly the Opaline Theater, which previously housed Blue Man Group and Rock of Ages, will open November 3 with tickets on sale August 9 for Minogue’s performances. General admission standing-room-only tickets start at $200 plus taxes and fees. Table packages start at $1,000 for two people plus taxes and fees, inclusive of tickets and a beverage spend requirement of $600.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405August 3, 2023 3:32 AM

R400 Get outta here. Artists making good money in Vegas, who’d have though.

by Anonymousreply 406August 3, 2023 6:42 AM

I planned to go to Vegas, but told my friend I’d rather go to Europe to see her stadium show for that price.

by Anonymousreply 407August 6, 2023 2:23 AM

Tickets went on sale today and apparently sold out, though it sounds like the Venetian and Ticketmaster were not prepared for demand and people spent hours trying (and failing) to get tickets because the ticketing site kept crashing. I'll probably wait to see if there's a U.S. tour before considering resell tickets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408August 10, 2023 4:15 AM

My birthday is in November and I tried for hours to get tickets but the site crashed. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 409August 11, 2023 11:39 AM

I heard "Padam Padam" three times on my Top 40 radio station yesterday. The song's gaining traction. It could enter the Hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 410August 11, 2023 1:50 PM

r409, there are rumblings they could be adding Vegas dates given the demand. We shall see!

by Anonymousreply 411August 11, 2023 11:10 PM

"Tension" was released today.

Doesn't have quite the catchiness of "Padam Padam." Won't be a hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412August 31, 2023 5:26 PM

r412 you dumbshit. Of course it will be.

by Anonymousreply 413August 31, 2023 9:12 PM

R413 Padam Padam never hit the Billboard Hot 100, so Tension definitely won't.

by Anonymousreply 414August 31, 2023 9:18 PM

I still don’t understand how it hasn’t made the Hot 100 AT ALL, but when I look at that chart I don’t understand anything anyway. I know one song in the Top 20 (“Flowers” by Miley) , but I don’t really listen to the radio anyway. Most of the radio stations here are country these days.

by Anonymousreply 415August 31, 2023 10:05 PM

WOW, that intro is HOUSE PIANO circa 1992!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 416August 31, 2023 10:09 PM

'Tension' (the song) is one of the freshest, most modern things she's released in ages. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 417September 1, 2023 3:05 AM

I gotta say, the video is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418September 1, 2023 1:39 PM

The new song slams!

by Anonymousreply 419September 1, 2023 4:10 PM

Listen up Madge - this is what the gays want.

by Anonymousreply 420September 1, 2023 5:28 PM

Hopefully this becomes a hit as well

by Anonymousreply 421September 1, 2023 6:36 PM

That was crazy! The song took a minute to hook me but damn. It's an earworm. I heard it this morning and heard it in my head all day and just seeing the video now. That thing is nuts in the best way.

by Anonymousreply 422September 1, 2023 7:51 PM

I actually like Tension a bit more than Padam Padam

by Anonymousreply 423September 1, 2023 9:36 PM

THIS is "Queer" House Music, Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 424September 1, 2023 9:49 PM

I can't stop listening to Tension. It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 425September 2, 2023 2:49 AM

That video is absolutely bonkers (in a good way)

by Anonymousreply 426September 2, 2023 5:37 AM

It moved into the rarified air of her genius by about the third listen, my initial reaction being taken aback by the icky Ari-isms vocally (the cooing) that somehow seemed way more charming in the video, and she's 55 and once again seems to have fallen back into cool favor, which I am way good with, as I don't think she left..

by Anonymousreply 427September 2, 2023 6:05 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428September 2, 2023 12:03 PM

How many references to other Kylie videos can you spot in "Tension?" I see the following: - Red dress Kylie in the same room as the "Padam Padam" video - Hologram Kylie dancing in a disco ball dress like in "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Multiple Kylies like in "Come into My World" - Kylie sitting across the table and singing like she did with Jessie Ware in "Kiss of Life" - Showgirl Kylie

What are some others?

by Anonymousreply 429September 2, 2023 10:22 PM

Not necessarily a Kylie video reference but an unreleased song reference: Dark Kylie has a "White Diamond" on one of the controller screens.

by Anonymousreply 430September 2, 2023 10:23 PM

Omg

by Anonymousreply 431September 2, 2023 10:24 PM

Also, the hotel room is similar (vintage tv set, LAN like phone, lamp) to the too in Padam Padam which, in turn, is similar to the one in Dancing. And the room explodes into a club-like set as in Crystallize.

by Anonymousreply 432September 2, 2023 10:26 PM

Too = room

by Anonymousreply 433September 2, 2023 10:27 PM

Am I the only gay man who cannot stand Kylie Minogue, her whiny little voice and the string of soundalike, mostly mediocre dance offerings with which she assaults our ears every three years? I won't say that all her songs are subpar, but most of her repertoire is entirely forgettable (including many of her hits), and I'm utterly mystified as to how people find these inoffensive, dull, unmelodious little ditties appealing in any way.

Padam Padam sounds like something written for ten-year-old children, disco was just fast beats and pretty garnish spread over unmemorable melodies, and this is the case with almost everything she's ever released.

I will concede that there are some good songs in her discography, though, and Golden had some memorable moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434September 2, 2023 10:37 PM

R434 Thanks for visiting this thread, Madge!

I hope you're recovering well from your drug overdose.

by Anonymousreply 435September 2, 2023 10:53 PM

Said no to you more than once, didn't she Madge? Plus I don't think you ever got to fuck Michael Hutchence either!

by Anonymousreply 436September 3, 2023 2:53 AM

R434 is beyond help and needs to be euthanized.

by Anonymousreply 437September 3, 2023 3:24 AM

The whole Vegas debacle left a terrible taste in my mouth, and I’ve been a fan forever. I’m no longer excited about the new album nor any of the new singles.

by Anonymousreply 438September 3, 2023 3:27 AM

R438 Explain, please. I heard some rumblings of a ticket snafu but couldn't figure out what the deal was on ElonTwitter.

by Anonymousreply 439September 3, 2023 3:31 AM

Padam Padam was a fun romp but I grew tired of it within the first month of the gay clubs blasting it every hour on the hour on the in house mix. Tension doesn't cut it, it's too sonically similar as we head into fall. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 440September 3, 2023 3:33 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441September 3, 2023 10:58 AM

R441 Very interesting article. And it's true that radio - American radio in particular - has a problem with women artists of a certain age.

That's a real shame.

by Anonymousreply 442September 3, 2023 11:37 AM

R7 Americans are stupid and have no taste? Everybody wants to be like us. Most stars of the world are American get with the winning team. I don't understand why the British think they're so sophisticated when most of their "taste" is shitty dance music sung by harlots with with very thin voices Ala Minogue who's never been original she's Madonna with shitter music and without the star power or dance movies. Most of the singers from across the pond don't pop over here because they tend to be too fake and calculated and we Americans can see through the bullshit. R35 is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 443September 3, 2023 12:07 PM

R443 You were onto something until you said "we Americans can see through the bullshit."

So how do you explain Trump?

by Anonymousreply 444September 3, 2023 12:11 PM

I wasn't referring to politics R444 I was making a point about "Americans having no taste" in entertainment when most of our entertainment is pop culture. Politics is different area, howeve you don't want started on the Royal Family but again that's another topic.

by Anonymousreply 445September 3, 2023 12:19 PM

R441 I didn't know there was such a thing as a "C" playlist on Top 40 radio until I read this article, but now it makes sense. I heard "Padam Padam" several times on the radio, but only during the early morning hours, when most people were asleep.

But I've been hearing that damn Miley Cyrus song "Flowers" for five months now at every other hour.

by Anonymousreply 446September 3, 2023 12:24 PM

Sorry for the typos from R445. I'm a bit drunk and I have big fingers.

by Anonymousreply 447September 3, 2023 12:30 PM

Cut them off then, R445

by Anonymousreply 448September 3, 2023 1:10 PM

Anyway, continuing the Tension video references, the red dot that emerges from a centered horizon line on one of the control screens also appears on the Padam Padam hotel room TV screen. And the Showgirl costume can be seen as a reference back to the Showgirl tour but could be a reference to the (assumed) future video for Vegas High.

by Anonymousreply 449September 3, 2023 1:21 PM

Sure yeah, American pop stars have nothing fake or calculated about them.

by Anonymousreply 450September 3, 2023 1:28 PM

Just look at the American charts to show how much taste American audiences have. Utter drivel

by Anonymousreply 451September 3, 2023 1:33 PM

Tension predicted to enter at #14 on the Official UK Charts, the week's highest newly charting single and her 53rd top 40 UK single.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452September 4, 2023 4:45 AM

R452 glad she isn't back to being ignored as Padam became a sleeper hit.

by Anonymousreply 453September 4, 2023 6:22 PM

Padam was a hit with the gays and UK elders only, point blank period. Kylie and her team have yet to move into the TikTok age of music and set Kylie up with decent playlisting and radio deals. No song in the States gets played without hundreds of thousands of dollars in radio marketing. She doesn't put in the work and stans wonder why the public isn't budging. The song didn't hit radio until AUGUST. Old hat.

by Anonymousreply 454September 5, 2023 12:56 AM

[quote]@kylieminogue’s “Padam Padam” rises +2 spots to a new peak of #34 on Billboard’s Pop Airplay chart this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455September 5, 2023 5:50 AM

[quote]'Padam Padam' by Kylie Minogue is now the Biggest Gain in Airplay of 'Billboard Hot Dance/Electronic Song' Chart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456September 5, 2023 5:52 AM

Her new single “Tension” is already a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 457September 5, 2023 6:36 AM

R454 Kylie was all over U.S. television promoting Padam Padam and the song writers and her producers did everything they could to get it on the radio.

She definitely put in the work. U.S. radio just doesn't play songs by women over 50.

by Anonymousreply 458September 5, 2023 10:19 AM

R454 if a song needed that much money spent on it just to market it to radio, something's corrupt, no? And Kylie worked her socks off promoting it and it also became a viral tik tok hit so you're wrong on multiple counts there

by Anonymousreply 459September 5, 2023 11:03 AM

The full album is out. It’s really good. Hold On To Now the second track is easily the best tracks on the album. Why this wasn’t one of the first singles is a mystery to me. A good solid B +

by Anonymousreply 460September 22, 2023 12:50 PM

Favorites so far: One More Time, Things We Do For Love, Story

by Anonymousreply 461September 22, 2023 1:49 PM

Lots of throwback pop sounds, which is great to hear. Some weaker spots, but overall she’s made this gay happy.

by Anonymousreply 462September 22, 2023 4:08 PM

It's really good. Hands and Somebody to Love were my my personal faves. Can't wait to get my vinyl.

by Anonymousreply 463September 22, 2023 4:49 PM

I can enjoy a Kylie album as much as the next person, but it's always surprised me how many reviewers credit her with significant involvement in making them. She turns up and does one vocal - with so much post-production done on the vocals, what point could there possibly be in doing more? Even harmonies can be generated by synthetically altering the lead vocal. There'd simply be no point in saying, 'Sing the melody but three tones higher for the next few bars, love'. She may get the odd co-writing credit, but that's going to be down to manager finagling. Kylie albums post-2010 are a good 70 per cent AI.

by Anonymousreply 464September 22, 2023 6:40 PM

A good, solid pop album. Better than "Disco." My Top 5 tracks so far:

1. Tension

2. Padam Padam

3. Hold On To Now

4. Somebody to Love

5. Hands

That could change as I give the album a few more listens.

by Anonymousreply 465September 22, 2023 6:48 PM

I.... don't like it? I usually love virtually every album she releases, but this one isn't clicking for me. Most of the songs sound like they're meant to be on the end credits of a John Hughes 80s movie. Some of them sound like songs that The Weeknd would release. A couple sound like Doja Cat knockoffs. Very few of them sound unmistakably Kylie.

Padam Padam and Tension (the song) are outliers here. Absolute bangers -- sleek and (for Kylie) experimental. I'm kind of bummed that they don't really represent the album's overall sound at all, though.

by Anonymousreply 466September 22, 2023 7:10 PM

I've listened to it a few times. It's growing on me. Besides Tension and Padam Padam, I think Hold On To Now is the strongest track. It's got kind of a Robyn vibe to it.

I think Hands and Love Train are the weakest tracks. Kylie shouldn't have tried rapping. She should've learned middle-aged white women shouldn't rap after Madonna's American Life tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 467September 23, 2023 3:01 PM

R467 - apparently, that's not Kylie rapping on 'Hands', but the session singer from the demo. They apparently decided to keep that session singer's vocals on the rapped verses. It's also apparently a male session singer with his vocals pitched up to sound more feminine. Probably for the best. Not sure a 55 year old white woman rapping with a 'blaccent' is the best idea.

by Anonymousreply 468September 23, 2023 9:47 PM

Also, sorry, I have no idea why I had to say "apparently" 57 times in one paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 469September 23, 2023 9:48 PM

Listen to Starfucker by Slayyyter!

by Anonymousreply 470September 23, 2023 9:58 PM

R468 Regardless of who's doing the rapping, it just doesn't work on a Kylie album.

by Anonymousreply 471September 23, 2023 10:14 PM

R471: apart from on One Boy Girl on Rhythm of Love.

by Anonymousreply 472September 24, 2023 12:50 PM

And the single version of Shocked

by Anonymousreply 473September 24, 2023 12:52 PM

R473 Kylie was also in her 20s when she recorded that one.

by Anonymousreply 474September 24, 2023 2:19 PM

I'm loving the "visualizers" she's done for some of the album tracks. Honestly, they're better than the actual music videos. Sometimes all you need is tasteful camera work, editing and lighting, good styling and an insanely charismatic star.

She really seems so confident this era!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475September 24, 2023 11:30 PM

R448 You're a godamn moron. I think your brain circulation is cut off. R450/R451 Suck my big American Dick you uncircumcised british CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 476September 25, 2023 12:44 PM

Is "visualizer" the new term for a music video produced on the cheap?

by Anonymousreply 477September 25, 2023 12:48 PM

R477 - it's not that new. It's been a pretty common practice for the last years or so in which an artist produces either lyric videos or "visualizers" (not 'full' music videos -- often animated -- but in this case, a mix of animation and live action) for several album tracks. It helps with their streaming numbers and, as a bonus, tests the waters on possible future singles.

by Anonymousreply 478September 25, 2023 9:57 PM

Has anyone heard the new bonus tracks 'Heavenly Body' and 'Drum'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479September 26, 2023 12:37 AM

This is a good record. Madge should be paying attention. Kylie's not trying to be deep or win critical acclaim. It's beats and simple lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 480September 27, 2023 12:42 PM

Tension is....

#1 in the UK (her 9th UK #1)

#1 in Australia (her 8th Australian #1)

#5 in New Zealand (her highest charting album since 2001's Fever)

#3 in the Dutch charts (her highest charting album there ever)

#5 in France (her highest charting album since 2010's Aphrodite)

#2 in Ireland

#1 in Scottland

And, it's predicted to hit #20 in the US Billboard 200 tomorrow (which would be her highest charting U.S. album since 2010's Aphrodite)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481September 29, 2023 10:22 PM

My brother owns a vinyl record store and he says they sold out of Tension within two days and the album is now on backorder.

by Anonymousreply 482September 30, 2023 12:37 PM

Did not like the album at all on first listen and now can't turn it off. Bought the Bonus Deluxe abd don't understand why Heavenly Body or Drum were left off the standard album while 10 out of 10, which was originally stated NOT to go on the album except as a possible bonus track DID. Heavenly Body is infectious as hell, with hooks all over, and Drum is hook-ladem, as well but more IP-ish. There are two other leaked tracks, Piano and Guitar which, to me, say there was another conceit going on during recording. Which means the direction changed a few times because you can hear the New Wave direction of the original conceot on several tracks with an early 80's vibe.

by Anonymousreply 483September 30, 2023 1:14 PM

Sorry for typos. No coffee yet.

by Anonymousreply 484September 30, 2023 1:14 PM

She did a free intimate (for her) show last week in London to celebrate the album's release. I think this was the first live performance of 'Story'. I assumed those crazy ABBA-esque high notes in Story were pitched up, but she hits them here in the live setting. Love how happy and confident she seems, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485September 30, 2023 8:32 PM

The whole "bonus" track stuff drives me fucking mad.

I understand a re-issue maybe a year with remixes and tracks that were left off the initial release but just release the whole album in one go already.

It's not 1992 when Madonna released the special edition of Erotica with the extra track on it.

by Anonymousreply 486September 30, 2023 8:44 PM

R486 - most artists do this + multiple variants these days because it works. Fleece us, Kylie!

by Anonymousreply 487September 30, 2023 11:25 PM

Here's how Kylie did in the U.S. last week on Billboard's charts...

**TENSION (the album):**

BILLBOARD 200: #21 (highest charting album since Aphrodite)

CURRENT ALBUM SALES: #2

DANCE/ELECTRONIC ALBUMS: #1

INDEPENDENT ALBUMS: #4

TASTEMAKER ALBUMS: #1

VINYL ALBUMS: #2

And, PADAM PADAM is #1 on the DANCE/MIX SHOW AIRPLAY chart (which measures performance of dance songs on dedicated dance radio stations as well as Top 40 radio stations that include dance music in their playlists)

by Anonymousreply 488October 3, 2023 11:33 AM

Is anyone seeing Kylie in Vegas? Tickets were too rich for me. Hoping she does another American tour. She hasn't toured the U.S. since Aphrodite.

by Anonymousreply 489October 10, 2023 10:04 PM

Kind of sleepy in Kylie-ville, but I guess these days, it's all about first week sales for legacy artists. Or maybe she' just busy preparing for the Vegas shows. Two small nuggets.

There are new Tension (the song) remixes out on Friday -- from actually very legit artists....Chromeo, KDA, Shadow Child and George Reid. These could be quite good!

by Anonymousreply 490October 18, 2023 9:04 PM

...And, Kylie is the face of a new JIMMY CHOO / JEAN PAUL GAULTIER campaign. Although JPG is most closely associated with Madonna (rightly so), he's also done some great costumes with Kylie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491October 18, 2023 9:06 PM

Cute video from the campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492October 18, 2023 9:08 PM

BTS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493October 20, 2023 9:59 PM

Nice extended mix of the upcoming third single

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494November 4, 2023 5:04 AM

First Grammy nomination in 15 years!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495November 11, 2023 4:45 PM

Padam Padam seems to have made dozens of year-end Best of 2023 lists from Pitchfork to Rolling Stone to Billboard to Time to Fader, NY Times, Washington Post and many, many others. Nice to see our gal getting this recognition.

by Anonymousreply 496December 15, 2023 9:50 PM

It keeps getting taken down, but if you can find an active link, this was a lot of fun....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497December 15, 2023 9:53 PM

That looks like Patti LaBelle in r497's video. If it is, she looks great!

by Anonymousreply 498December 15, 2023 10:12 PM

Ha. R498. Um... that's Alison Hammond, a very well liked morning host / TV personality in the UK. Even if you have no idea who she is, you really think she looks like Patti LaBelle??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499December 15, 2023 10:19 PM

R498 It's not, but there's a resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 500December 15, 2023 10:19 PM

Kylie's featured on CBS Sunday Morning this weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501December 16, 2023 8:06 PM

Here's her CBS Sunday morning interview. She's very likable. She gets emotional when she talks about her cancer battle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502December 18, 2023 3:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503December 19, 2023 11:58 PM

She's getting Billboards Icon award, apparently....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504January 24, 2024 8:15 PM

re: R504....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505January 24, 2024 8:16 PM

R505 Ice Spice?

What the fuck has this nobody done to earn an award?

by Anonymousreply 506January 24, 2024 9:02 PM

R506 - hers is the HITMAKER AWARD, presumably for selling a lot of music in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 507January 24, 2024 11:03 PM

R507 What hits does she have? I think the only thing I've ever heard was her "rapping" on a Taylor Swift song.

by Anonymousreply 508January 25, 2024 12:28 PM

R508 - Look, Ice Spice isn't my thing, either. I think there are far more talented rappers, but, since you asked, she had three singles in 2023 that landed at #2, #3 and #4 respectively on Billboard's Hot 100, making her the artist with the most top-5 singles on the Hot 100 in 2023. Interestingly, all of them duets, so, let's see if she can stand on her own. While I don't get her appeal, she's obviously found an audience.

Anyway, back to Kylie, she's apparently rumored to be doing a career retrospective medley at this year's BRITS, where she once did THIS (definition of iconic)....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509January 25, 2024 7:41 PM

R509 Yes, duets.

Let's give her an award when she's able to chart on her own.

What incredible bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 510January 25, 2024 7:42 PM

So I was working last night and met a father and his 10-year-old son who were here on vacation. We were chatting, and I asked the boy, "So do you like Kylie Minogue?"

His eyes lit up and he smiled and said, "yes!" Future gay in the making!

Still, it's amazing that a 10-year-old boy knows about a woman who began her career decades before he was even born.

by Anonymousreply 511January 25, 2024 7:46 PM

R511 - Aw. That's sweet.

R510 - Why so angry about inconsequential little Ice Spice? It's just some made up award from what is, essentially, a trade magazine. You're acting like she's been awarded a Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award and been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 512January 25, 2024 8:01 PM

R512 I just think there are artists more deserving.

Obviously, Ice Spice has a good publicist.

by Anonymousreply 513January 25, 2024 8:03 PM

Okay, but who should be given that award, R513?

by Anonymousreply 514January 26, 2024 4:49 PM

R514 Someone...anyone...who's had some solo hits.

by Anonymousreply 515January 26, 2024 6:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516February 7, 2024 3:01 PM

Meh. It's fine...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517February 7, 2024 3:01 PM

R517 Not memorable. But hey - Kylie's just striking while the iron's hot.

by Anonymousreply 518February 7, 2024 3:11 PM

I wonder if it's a relic from the Kiss Me Once days. Sia exec. produced that Kylie album.

by Anonymousreply 519February 7, 2024 3:43 PM

She's doing that U.S. promo hustle. I guess being frequently in the US for the Vegas residency helps. Interview is at about 1:50-14:00....

Speaks about a possible U.S. tour and about her brief flirtation with collaborating with Prince....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520February 9, 2024 12:36 AM

This is an interesting one since she's (obviously) not nominated. But, get that exposure, queen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521February 9, 2024 12:38 AM

Kylie was the guest on Paris Hilton's podcast. Paris is actually a genuine fan... asking her some deep cut questions instead of the usual hot pants etc questions. Surprisingly good listen.

by Anonymousreply 522February 9, 2024 10:41 AM

I love me some Jennifer Hudson, but she is a terrible interviewer.

That said, Kylie has great skin!

by Anonymousreply 523February 9, 2024 10:59 AM

R523 - I agree, she seems like a lovely person, but J. Hudson is not a natural interviewer. Sheri is much better. And as for big pop girls, Kelly Rowland would have been a much better host. If you've seen her on talk shows, she's a natural with both heavy and lightweight topics.

by Anonymousreply 524February 9, 2024 11:44 AM

Dang, Kathryn Hahn is a Kylie stan, it seems

by Anonymousreply 525February 19, 2024 2:18 PM

I’m surprised Prince didn’t write material for her like he did for Sheena Easton, The Bangles, Chaka Khan, Martika, etc.

by Anonymousreply 526February 19, 2024 2:27 PM

R526 He did. She told a story about it. But the song was never released.

by Anonymousreply 527February 19, 2024 3:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528March 3, 2024 8:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529March 3, 2024 8:33 AM

Cuts off most of Dua Lipa's introduction...including the bit where she called Kylie the Queen of Pop. Don't tell M!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530March 3, 2024 8:35 AM

R530 Where does she cut off Dua Lipa?

by Anonymousreply 531March 3, 2024 2:09 PM

R531 - no, that clip cuts off most of Dua's introduction from the broadcast. She spoke for about a minute before giving Kylie the Icon Award.

by Anonymousreply 532March 3, 2024 9:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!