Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sir Laurence Olivier

Ranked as the greatest actor of a generation, he, along with his contemporaries, Gielgud, Ashcroft, Richardson, Redgrave, and Dame Edith Evans, lead the movement to bring theater to the masses. And they succeeded. Yet, when one things of him, they think of his film roles in the classics: Hamlet, Henry V, Othello, and Richard III and his three unique marriages: First disastrously to Jill Esmond, second notoriously to Vivien Leigh, and third harmoniously to Joan Plowright.

However, pulling back the veil reveals of more diverse body of work across sixty years: Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, Pride & Prejudice, 49th Parallel, The Entertainer, Spartacus, Bunny Lake is Missing, Oh! What a Lovely War, The Battle of Britain, Nicholas and Alexandra, SLUETH, Marathon Man, A Bridge Too Far, The Boys from Brazil, Clash of the Titans, The Bounty, and sadly Wild Geese II.

Tall, handsome, and probably bisexual, let's discuss the British thespian Sir Laurence Olivier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2023 11:24 AM

Legs like baseball bats.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2023 4:35 PM

Sad after 60 years of being THE actor of a century you are forced to do Wild Geese II for health insurance purposes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2023 4:41 PM

I like him

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2023 6:18 PM

Speaking of Nicholas and Alexandra, both Olivier and Eric Porter were in it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2023 7:44 PM

I thought he the definitive Heathcliff, but he sounded as if he was a nightmare of a person to deal with. Maybe that's just how actors were in those days, but still....

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2023 7:51 PM

Hey had a weird, nondescript and cameleon look to him. Like he blends in anywhere and everywhere. Could have been a successful spy. Maybe he was. Or maybe the required but rare glamour of a successful actor.

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2023 8:15 PM

So hammy though.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2023 9:00 PM

R7 Not in Marathon Man.

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2023 9:08 PM

I'm sure he and Danny Kaye made a cute couple.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2023 9:33 PM

[quote]Ranked as the greatest actor of a generation

And yet, was upstaged by Marilyn Monroe in The Prince and the Showgirl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2023 10:00 PM

I don't get Olivier. He never blew my mind like some others.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2023 6:22 AM

[quote] He never blew my mind like some others.

That's because "minds" wasn't what Larry was good at blowing, dear.

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2023 6:29 AM

Peter Ustinov talks about working with Olivier and Charles Laughton on "Spartacus" and does a funny recreation of rehearsals. Starts at 8:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2023 6:33 AM

Not my cup of tea, although I like him better in later roles such as The Boys from Brazil and A Little Romance where he’s leaning into camp or playing character parts. He seems like such a cold and pretentious actor, and when I watch him I think I understand Katharine Hepburn’s insult about Streep (click click click).

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2023 6:34 AM

He drove me crazy!!!!!!!

Granted, it was a very short drive

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2023 6:45 AM

r13 thanks for posting. Ustinov was a brilliant, hilarious raconteur and this vid is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2023 11:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!