Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Does Princess Anne Wear a Military Uniform?

We saw the Royal Family gathered for the Queen’s birthday parade, also known as the Trooping the Color celebration. It was an incredible extravaganza with over 1,400 soldiers, 200 horses, and 400 musicians.

However, what caught most people’s eyes in the Royals Parade attendance was Princess Anne in military uniform. Many wondered, “Why does Princess Anne wear a military uniform?”

The short answer is because of her role as the Colonel of the Blues and Royals. For more details on how she came to presume this role, though, you would have to keep reading. So, go on!

Who is Princess Anne?

Princess Anne is Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s second child and only daughter. She is 17th in line of succession. Anne has been Princess Royal since 1987.

She was born on August 15, 1950, in London, United Kingdom. As of writing this, she is 71 years old. Her full name is Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise.

Princess Anne is recognized as an icon of old-fashioned, good public service, as she has done more than 20 thousand engagements since she turned 18.

What is the Trooping the Color Celebration?

This is a ceremony for the Queen’s birthday. It is a 17-century-old tradition. There will be a big parade that showcases fanfare, military precision, and horsemanship. When watching the parade, you can expect the military band to perform, a lot of salutes, and even a gun salute towards the end.

What is “The Blues and Royals”?

The Blues and Royals is a cavalry regiment of the British Army. In some cases, it is referred to as the Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons and had the nickname, “The Tin Bellies.” It has been active since March 29, 1969.

It has served in Northern Ireland, Germany, and Cyprus. It provided troops for the Falklands War of 1982 and a squadron in Bosnia between 1994 and 1995. And, more recently, the Blues and Royals regiment also participated in the Iraq War and the War in Afghanistan.

Is Princess Anne the Colonel of the Blues and Royals?

Princess Anne is the Colonel of the Regiment, which is a ceremonial title. She acts as a patron to the unit but does not have an operational role. Princess Anne is informed of all the important activities that the regiment undertakes and occasionally visits the operational units, though her key duty is maintaining a link between the Blues and Royals and the Royal Family.

So, what does this mean? How does it relate to her wearing a military uniform during the Queen’s birthday parade?

Per tradition, at any function where she comes as the Colonel of the Regiment, Princess Anne wears the regimental uniform with the full colonel rank insignia.

Fun Fact: As a member of the Royal Family, Princess Anne is also referred to as a Royal Colonel.

Going back to the opening question, “Why does Princess Anne wear a military uniform,” it was because of her title as the Colonel of the Blues and Royals Regiment that she wore the Royal military uniform at the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Parade.

She also wears medals that she amassed during her service. Specifically, her uniform was adorned with:

The Silver, Gold, Diamond, and Platinum Jubilee Medals

The Silver Jubilee Medal – A commemorative medal that honors the 25th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession.

The Gold Jubilee Medal – A commemorative medal that honors the 50th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession.

The Diamond Jubilee Medal – A commemorative medal that honors the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession.

The Platinum Jubilee Medal – A commemorative medal that honors the 70th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession.

The Most Noble Order of the Garter – An insignia to recognize those who have held public office, contributed to national life, or personally served the Sovereign.

The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle – An insignia to honor an order of chivalry, which is associated with Scotland.

The Royal Victorian Order – It is awarded by the Queen for personal service or for service to the Monarchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 14, 2023 6:43 PM

Bull dyke.

by Anonymousreply 1May 9, 2023 11:14 PM

Just tell us instead of making us read all that (which I didn't).

by Anonymousreply 2May 9, 2023 11:16 PM

Thank you, OP, that was informative.

by Anonymousreply 3May 9, 2023 11:22 PM

Well this takes care of that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 9, 2023 11:34 PM

R1? If she's a bull dyke, you're a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2023 11:42 PM

Princess Anne actually looks quite pretty and feminine here.

I love the green cloak with the black hat.

It's much more stylish than the blue uniforms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2023 11:44 PM

I thought so too R3. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2023 11:50 PM

Most older women could never pull off this look.

Anne is quite fit for a 72 year old.

Other women her age are usually all lumpy and saggy.

I'll bet Anne has a nice body under her clothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2023 11:51 PM

Anne, the Princess Royal rode a horse at the coronation while wearing military type regalia replete with a red plum in her hat. Then if that wasn't enough, she rode a horse afterward in leu of riding in one of the carriages. She's the tomboy to end all tomboys in her seventies for goodness sake! I've always been a bit taken by her even though she obviously doesn't bat for my team, she's truly just a tomboy.

I don't even need your cut and paste explanation, OP. No offense intended though. It's just more like; "Why wouldn't Anne, the Princess Royal not wear military regalia?" Is the better question. No one who likes her would expect anything less. A ball gown? One of those Easter dresses with a church hat? Heck no! Anne, the Princess Royal could give a crap about any of that. She's going full on Napoleon Bonaparte with it baby just to screw with the status quo and I'm here for it and have been for years.

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2023 11:55 PM

She chooses to wear one whenever it's an option because it means she doesn't have to think about what she's wearing. She said this in an interview once but I can't find it. She's incredibly practical.

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2023 11:56 PM

R10, she said it in this interview a few days before the coronation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2023 11:59 PM

I'll tell you what she thought about but good: that Harry-blocking red plume!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2023 12:03 AM

My mother and me both agreed that seeing princely Anne riding in regalia and chatting to the Royal Guards during the parade to Buck House was the only other highlight of the Cozzy, besides Antonio Pappano conducting like a madlad. The rest was boring, overly-religious, awkward and hideously-expensive conformist waffle.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2023 12:07 AM

Princess Anne has steadfastly refused to be slotted into roles assigned for female members of BRF. If she were a man no one would question her wearing military uniforms and so forth that come as of right.

OP's query is like asking why policewomen no longer are confined to wearing skirts.

by Anonymousreply 14May 10, 2023 12:07 AM

R6 Anne looks the spit of her mother in the face, there.

by Anonymousreply 15May 10, 2023 12:09 AM

She's giving Gentleman Jack and we're here for it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2023 12:10 AM

She's a badass.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2023 12:14 AM

All princesses should wear regalia and aspire to knightliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2023 12:20 AM

[quote] Princess Anne has steadfastly refused to be slotted into roles assigned for female members of BRF.

An example of that is when her mother appointed her to the Order of the Garter, Anne insisted on being named a Knight of the Garter rather than a Lady of the Garter as female members are usually known.

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2023 12:37 AM

R17 beat me to it.

Princess Anne does not suffer fools gladly.

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2023 12:43 AM

Because after the Coronation she was going trick or treating dressed as a soldier, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2023 12:49 AM

I must be a true sociopath because I wonder why no one has ever run up to them, taken their crown and said "I'm the Queen now, bitches!!" and ran away.

Prince Anne would say certainly not, don't think so and I would yes I am! What I say goes and subject them like their ancestors did to make people think they were something special.

by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2023 12:58 AM

For the coronation, Anne served as the king's bodyguard. Thus, the military attire.

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2023 1:07 AM

[quote]She chooses to wear one whenever it's an option because it means she doesn't have to think about what she's wearing

It's too difficult for her to worry about her clothes.

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2023 1:08 AM

Of the whole pack of them, she is the only one for whom I have any respect.

People talk about having a drink with Camilla. I'd much rather have one with Anne.

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2023 1:12 AM

Long tradition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2023 1:14 AM

So glamorous. What a hardworker.

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2023 1:16 AM

For all the theys and nonbinaries out there, Princess Anne is living proof that neither your presentation nor your choice of activities defines or is defined by your sex/gender.

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2023 1:19 AM

A lot of older women stop wearing uncomfortable femmy clothes at a certain age, they get rid of all their Spanx and high heels at 60 or so.

The ones I know, and see at the opera, tend towards loise silk evening pants and fancy shawls, but Anne has a right to wear military uniforms so that's what she does. Military dress uniform is absolutely acceptable as formal wear, at any formal event, as long as you have a right to wear it.

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2023 1:23 AM

She's a total badass. I think she's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 30May 10, 2023 1:28 AM

"There's been a bit of a mix-up at the palace."

by Anonymousreply 31May 10, 2023 1:34 AM

[quote] I think she’s fabulous.

So do I!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 10, 2023 1:36 AM

If she didn't wear anything, she'd be naked.

by Anonymousreply 33May 10, 2023 4:28 AM

[quote] If she didn't wear anything, she'd be naked.

Hot!

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2023 4:59 AM

Anne was Philip's favorite child and he would probably have rather had her inherit the throne.

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2023 5:10 AM

The Blues go all the way back to the last stages of the civil war — the English one, I mean. Sir Arthur Haselrig had declared for parliament and throughout the war had commanded very heavily armoured cavalry in parliament’s service. In 1650 Cromwell asked Haselrig to raise a regiment of heavy horse for the New Model Army. That army mostly wore red, but this regiment was to wear blue coats.

When Charles II was restored to monarchy in 1660, the Blues swore allegiance to him, and Charles was fond of the unit. However parliament didn’t want to keep them embodied because of bad memories of the tyranny of a standing army under Cromwell’s so-called “protectorate” and many units were disbanded, including the Blues.

However, Charles II had a pretext to re-raise the blues and several other regiments when a weird cult called the fifth monarchists started an insurrection against his rule. This was swiftly put down, but led to the re-establishment of the Blues, now under the Earl of Oxford — they were now called the Oxford Blues.

They spent some time in Tangiers in the eccentric British attempt to rule that city (don’t ask) in the later 17th century, and also fought against Monmouth’s rebellion. In the eighteenth century they were ranked second regiment behind the life guards and were referred to as the royal regiment of horse guards. They fought quite a lot, including in the Seven Years War and Napoleonic Wars (including Waterloo). They always kept their blue coats, instead of red, which is why Anne wears one when she attends the regiment.

They were combined with some other guard cavalry regiment after World War Two, I forget which one, and the unit is now called the Blues and Royals. It fights as an armoured recon unit now, and fought in the Falklands and Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2023 5:10 AM

Out of uniform she is quite approachable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2023 5:20 AM

She was her father's favorite child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2023 12:26 PM

R25, me too.

by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2023 1:00 PM

I need that green cloak, gurls.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2023 1:02 PM

Is a dyke uniform.

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2023 1:04 PM

Anne would be a better monarch than Charles. She really cares about it and she’s a ballsy woman. Charles is a retarded pussy.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2023 1:05 PM

It’s a dyke uniform.

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2023 1:06 PM

Otokoyaku realness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2023 1:06 PM

Badass bulldagger, OBVIOUSLY.

by Anonymousreply 45May 10, 2023 1:08 PM

R37 the actresses who play Bea & Eug in The Windsors have me on the floor, they're so funny.

It's not even a terribly accurate impersonation that they do, but somehow it just works brilliantly as character comedy anyhow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2023 2:13 PM

@R11, she looks like Gary Oldman in Dracula.

by Anonymousreply 47May 10, 2023 2:19 PM

So, lots of women opt for lower heels and more comfortable clothes as they get older, but there are all sorts of protocols about what is and isn't appropriate for royals to wear. Mandatory hat, length of skirt, light coat over dress, heels bloody well expected, etc. Which means that a Princess Royal can't just wear a silk caftan and sandals to official events.

But she can wear a military uniform, and who the hell is going to stop her! Charles? Oh, right, like he'd ever tell her to do anything she didn't want to do!

by Anonymousreply 48May 10, 2023 3:19 PM

[quote] But she can wear a military uniform, and who the hell is going to stop her! Charles? Oh, right, like he'd ever tell her to do anything she didn't want to do!

Pay attention, George!

by Anonymousreply 49May 10, 2023 4:21 PM

R41 and R45? See R5, you fucking assholes.

by Anonymousreply 50May 10, 2023 8:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 51May 10, 2023 8:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 52May 10, 2023 8:38 PM

Why Does Princess Anne Wear a Military Uniform?

Because she would look utterly ridiculous attending these events dressed as one of the Lolipop Kids from the 'Wizard of OZ'. Don't you think ?

by Anonymousreply 53May 10, 2023 8:43 PM

Respect her …

by Anonymousreply 54May 10, 2023 9:05 PM

I've never thought that Princess Anne was a dyke. As a matter of fact, I think when she was much younger, she was a good looking woman who was very fit privately randy and liked a good shag. Of course, the man she shagged had better be ready for a tough/rough ride. Her years of equestrian training had given her quite strong legs, she knew how to take a good piston-hipped fuck and damn if she didn't do the riding in a cowgirl position.

Over time, she took her duties as the Queen's daughter and public face/duties of the royal family seriously. She has endeared her to the British public.

Don't mess with Anne, she thwarted her own kidnapping! I'd love to have scotch with her, in a castle, by a fire, in Scotland with her. I bet she has a great laugh, especially after she tells a dirty joke.

Oh - and her daughter Zara? She is her mother. An equestrian, fit as get out... why do you think she took to Mike Tindell as a husband/mate? He's a big man, who sat.is.fied her! Their kids are proof of their fertility and funkiness in the sack!

by Anonymousreply 55May 10, 2023 9:26 PM

That interview posted by R11 is such a joy to watch.

by Anonymousreply 56May 10, 2023 9:33 PM

Anne's not lesbian. She simply has a love for "Pirates of Penzance" and has always wanted to play the role of Major-General Stanley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 10, 2023 9:39 PM

I expected her to speak like Queen Elizabeth, but.... she doesn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 11, 2023 12:21 AM

She is a closeted bulldyke who likes to dress in men's clothing

by Anonymousreply 59May 11, 2023 12:45 AM

Gay face. I'm surprised she doesn't walk with a cane

by Anonymousreply 60May 11, 2023 12:46 AM

Major General Biddy Regiment. Medals are for extreme bravery while cunting the enemy

by Anonymousreply 61May 11, 2023 1:01 AM

Anne looked nearly as old as her mother.

Why is that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 11, 2023 1:02 AM

The young Windsors---particularly Anne, Andrew, Edward, and William---were very good-looking in their youth.

But then The Windsor physical change occurs, and the nose bends and lengthens; the teeth and jaw become more prominent; in males there is hair loss. This change is absolutely in George's future, perhaps not in Louis's, while Charlotte seems on her way to "handsome."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 11, 2023 1:03 AM

Hardest working Royal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 11, 2023 2:10 AM

^^ what kind of work do they do?

by Anonymousreply 65May 11, 2023 2:52 AM

R63, Windsor? I call it the Hanover gene. It’s amazing how it comes through after so many generations. Charles strongly resembles George II.

I was also struck by how Charles had to affirm he was a Protestant at the coronation and then apparently had to affirm his affirmation. The Protestant Hanoverian succession really was a defining point in UK history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 11, 2023 9:19 AM

It's all this inbreeding

by Anonymousreply 67May 11, 2023 9:55 AM

R67 demonstrates the cumulative inbreeding of its own stock by coming up with the most trite, overused and witless response possible on a Royal thread.

Please hand in your card. You're an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 68May 11, 2023 10:11 AM

R67 demonstrates the cumulative inbreeding of its own stock by coming up with the most trite, overused and witless response possible on a Royal thread.

Please hand in your card. You're an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 69May 11, 2023 10:12 AM

Please join me in F&F ‘ing the BullDyke @ R5 who clearly forgot where the fuck she is and why she shouldn’t be here in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 70May 11, 2023 11:38 AM

The thing about Anne is that she would have matriculated at Sandhurst had women been given the opportunity at the time and would have been a better career officer than her brothers.

by Anonymousreply 71May 11, 2023 1:33 PM

She's a top, silly. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 72May 11, 2023 2:58 PM

R63, You would call it that, pedant @ r66.

And while you may assert that Protestantism also traces to the Hanoverians/Georges, the ANGLICAN royal identity goes further back.

by Anonymousreply 73May 11, 2023 6:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 11, 2023 6:49 PM

Her cock-blocking Harry was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 75May 11, 2023 6:59 PM

How big is her cock?

by Anonymousreply 76May 11, 2023 7:19 PM

Much bigger than yours, r76. But then, whose isn't?

by Anonymousreply 77May 11, 2023 7:28 PM

Is Anne into pegging as well?

by Anonymousreply 78May 11, 2023 7:31 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 11, 2023 7:34 PM

[quote] Is Anne into pegging as well?

Yes, but she wears the cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 11, 2023 7:34 PM

Maybe 🤔 she’s just a DYKE

by Anonymousreply 81May 11, 2023 7:49 PM

closeted bulldyke

by Anonymousreply 82May 11, 2023 7:58 PM

Who is her girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 83May 11, 2023 8:01 PM

I bet she had the hots for Diana

by Anonymousreply 84May 11, 2023 8:01 PM

She had nothing but contempt for Diana.

by Anonymousreply 85May 11, 2023 11:17 PM

Princess Anne should be thankful Horsemilla came along, as before she was the homely one of the immediate royal family. Although, to be fair, she at least didn't reach hideous level. But the reality is most people dont give a shit about her.

by Anonymousreply 86May 11, 2023 11:31 PM

Oh OP: HONESTLY. As Anne once famously said to the press: NAFF OFF.

by Anonymousreply 87May 12, 2023 1:26 AM

This is a disgrace to the military. The loser royals play dress up and give each other medals for attending a party

by Anonymousreply 88May 12, 2023 1:36 AM

"The thing about Anne is that she would have matriculated at Sandhurst had women been given the opportunity at the time"

I dunno about that, maybe she would have still chosen to put horses first if she'd been young today, she was good enough to go to the Olympics after all.

We'll see what Charlotte does, she's also reportedly into horses and riding.

by Anonymousreply 89May 12, 2023 2:31 AM

R65 "Working" primarily means attending engagements and representing the monarch. May not sound like "work," but going to all these places, which frequently involves traveling, and being the point PR person isn't necessarily fun. Article published a couple of days ago.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 12, 2023 11:52 PM

R85, of course she had contempt for Diana. As Diana was beautiful and beloved the world over. Anne was beloved nowhere to say nothing of her looks.

by Anonymousreply 91May 12, 2023 11:59 PM

R89 - her ex-husband was an active army captain when he medaled at the Olympics. Horses are part of their military tradition so there was probably a niche for her. And she's royal, so...

by Anonymousreply 92May 13, 2023 12:01 AM

She was nice looking in her youth. Here she is at 22, watching Dad barbecue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 13, 2023 1:50 AM

[quote]I dunno about that, maybe she would have still chosen to put horses first if she'd been young today, she was good enough to go to the Olympics after all.

dunno?

Equestrian sports are so expensive. Probably the most expensive sport. Most people don't have access to that type of thing. And in all countries, it's usually just rich people that go to the Olympics for that type of "sport". She was one of the few people that afford it.

by Anonymousreply 94May 13, 2023 11:12 PM

"Equestrian sports are so expensive. Probably the most expensive sport.Equestrian sports are so expensive."

A racing yacht costs about a hundred million times more than an Olympic-level horse!

And BTW I know some equestrian people, while back in the day they said that Anne did have the advantage of a family that would buy her the best horses and training available, she also had real skill and athleticism. Oh, and BTW through the horse people I've met middle-class people with Olympic aspirations. The sort of upper-middle class people who could afford a place with a stable in the country. So it's not a sport for the poor, but the upper levels of the sport are not limited to the ultra-rich.

by Anonymousreply 95May 14, 2023 6:12 AM

Was she wearing one of the specially designed royal tampons with her brother’s face on them that I gave out to all the ladies in the court?

I had each one of them designed so that Charles's mouth would touch the clitoris- even one as old and recessed as Anne’s.

by Anonymousreply 96May 14, 2023 6:20 AM

Cosplaying as a military "woman"

by Anonymousreply 97May 14, 2023 6:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!