Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeopardy! Masters Tournament

Six of Jeopardy!'s highest winners compete for the title of Jeopardy! Master and a $500,000 prize.

Tournament starts Monday, May 8 in primetime on ABC.

Competing are Amy Schneider, Andrew He, James Holzauer, Matt Amodio , Mattea Roach and Sam Buttrey.

Use this thread to discuss the Masters Tournament. Use the other thread to discuss the daily syndicated Jeopardy! game (linked inside).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261June 4, 2023 3:44 PM

Thread linked below is the thread to discuss the daily syndicated Jeopardy! game.

Use this thread to discuss the Masters Tournament.

Some people may not be watching the daily syndicated show, but will be watching the Masters Tournament. Thus the need for separate threads to discuss the games.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 8, 2023 6:14 AM

Thank you for creating this thread, OP. I'm unable to watch any Jeopardy tonight and tomorrow so I hope they will show up on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 2May 8, 2023 1:02 PM

FYI: Jeopardy Masters tournament will be available on Hulu as well as ABC on Demand.

Don't know is Masters will be on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 3May 8, 2023 4:25 PM

I hope they don’t spend too much time in mutual masturbation. Just get on with it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 8, 2023 10:35 PM

Might be interesting to see Andrew jerking off James.

But I doubt ABC would be airing that. At least not in primetime.

by Anonymousreply 5May 8, 2023 10:47 PM

Used to like James, but now find him annoying.

by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2023 1:48 AM

James has always been annoying, R6. And an asshole. And super fugly.

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2023 3:01 AM

Plus, the daily Jeopardy! thread has been paywalled for a good while now, R1.

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2023 3:02 AM

Already sick of it on the first night.

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2023 3:18 AM

I lasted about 10 minutes. Then I realized that I didn’t like most of these people the first time around.

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2023 3:42 AM

I thought the questions were pretty tough, except for the Final Jeopardys. Andrew had an awesome game.

by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2023 4:48 AM

Nine more episodes of this? Not sure its worth it.

James playing the villain is already annoying. But I do admire his daring with betting everything on the Daily Doubles, like he did during his 2019 run. Should he be playing in this Masters Tournament since he's also one of the experts on The Chase?

Was happy for Andrew and his win. He's grown on me. I didn't especially like him during his original run, but I've come to like him more and more thanks to the ToC and now the Masters.

Matt's still doing his pauses to think of an answer after "What is." That's going to get old quickly.

Didn't know Final for the first game but knew Manhattan Bridge for second Final.

by Anonymousreply 12May 9, 2023 6:26 AM

Honestly, I feel like they have pushed it enough with James et al. I am kind of sick of seeing them again and again. Most of them are not very likeable and they've already won a shitload of money. Time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 13May 9, 2023 6:34 AM

I think Matt has slimmed down a bit since the TOC.

by Anonymousreply 14May 9, 2023 6:56 AM

I wanna see James rub one out.

by Anonymousreply 15May 9, 2023 11:02 AM

Didn't James throw some shade at the casting of The Chase? Could he be referring to that obnoxious fat expert who seems to have been canned?

by Anonymousreply 16May 9, 2023 12:31 PM

He was throwing shade at Ken.

by Anonymousreply 17May 9, 2023 12:38 PM

Is Amy trans ?

by Anonymousreply 18May 9, 2023 1:06 PM

R11 I found the questions difficult as well. Someone will earn the $500,000.

by Anonymousreply 19May 9, 2023 8:06 PM

Yes, R18. And Matea is non-binary.

by Anonymousreply 20May 9, 2023 8:29 PM

R20 Thanks for clearing that up !

And what's the deal on James ? Cis straight male or something more trendy ?

by Anonymousreply 21May 9, 2023 8:56 PM

What is the point of revealing the location of the Daily Doubles to the audience beforehand? All it does is cheat the audience out of the surprise. Stupid.

Once again, Matt is folding like a kleenex. He's just not a tournament player.

by Anonymousreply 22May 9, 2023 9:01 PM

[quote]What is the point of revealing the location of the Daily Doubles to the audience beforehand? All it does is cheat the audience out of the surprise. Stupid.

You can always look away and be surprised just like the contestants.

Ken gave fair warning each time before revealing the location.

by Anonymousreply 23May 9, 2023 9:12 PM

It's still stupid.

by Anonymousreply 24May 9, 2023 9:14 PM

How can Mattea be non-binary with a gendered name? Needs to change it to MatteX

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2023 12:40 AM

These games are hard, I'm impressed with the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2023 1:04 AM

I'm watching live Jeopardy and it's not the Masters Tournement...

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2023 1:40 AM

The theory behind showing the viewers where the Daily Doubles are is that we will get excited when a player picks a question nearby, knowing that they just missed it. According to producer Michael Davies, this is something the production crew has experienced during tapings for years and thought they might share the fun with the audience. They're trying this out during the tournament and will make it a part of the regular show if they get a positive response.

I don't get it, either.

Another of Mr. Davies' suggested innovations was a bonus for any player who ran a category. I think that one's been rejected, but I would be in favor of that change if it required the category to be played from top to bottom in order. That would nudge the players back to the traditional game play and away from the annoying Daily Double hunt that James Holzhauer has popularized.

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2023 1:56 AM

So Amy Schneider has penned her autobiography. I can't imagine her having a life interesting enough to make it a best-seller.

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2023 3:05 AM

I’m not a foot person at all, but for some reason when I saw James barefoot I decided I wouldn’t mind fucking him. Matt absolutely repulses me.

by Anonymousreply 30May 10, 2023 3:22 AM

The second game was exciting, but I guessed Nicaragua too.

by Anonymousreply 31May 10, 2023 4:53 AM

Excellent games. If the next 8 episodes are good as this one, the Masters will be riveting and worth the hype.

Nice to see Matt back in form and really trying (something he didn't really do during the ToC or the first Masters game).

Nice also to see Mattea doing so much better and really trying to win.

Nice to see James not deliberately trying to be an asshole.

I had no idea on Final for either game.

by Anonymousreply 32May 10, 2023 8:05 AM

Nice to see Matt. Period.

by Anonymousreply 33May 10, 2023 1:05 PM

I just finished watching the first double episode.

First, revealing the DJ locations is completely idiotic.

Alsp, I don't get the point of James being a sort of comic foil.

That makes him really irritating in a way I didn't find him before, although I nonetheless I still find the guy attractive.

I should also say that his dominating his first game quieted Mattea, which is always a good thing to me.

A little of Mattea goes a long way.

To me Andrew and Sam are thoroughly likeable guys.

Amy may be one of the best ever players, but I still find her to be blandness personified.

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2023 4:36 PM

Amy always seems to have a five o'clock shadow on her face.

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2023 4:41 PM

First it was a shout out to Grandpa Amodio.

Now it's telling girlfriend (!!) Melissa to get him Taylor Swift tickets.

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2023 6:38 PM

Good for Amy with Rome; that was a tricky one. I guessed Byzantium.

by Anonymousreply 37May 11, 2023 4:21 AM

I got Rome.

by Anonymousreply 38May 11, 2023 4:26 AM

Good game tonight. Not quite as edge of my seat as Tuesday's game, but quite thrilling, especially Mattea's comeback.

I like the fact they're all relaxed enough to joke around and let their personalities come out.

But they sure are trying to play up the fact James donates to charities and does charitable things. I guess that's to counter the "game show villain" image.

I'm impressed that Ken is able to remember that Mattea's pronouns are now "they/them" and use those pronouns consistently.

I guessed Constantinople for the first Final. Knew Balmoral for 2nd final.

No Masters game on Thursday night, but it is back on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 39May 11, 2023 6:58 AM

Fuck off Johnny Gilbert! Annoying asshole.

by Anonymousreply 40May 11, 2023 7:49 AM

I'm sorry but the 'they / them' with Mattea is confusing, at best. I keep expecting to see a hole team of players behind her when he refers to her as 'they / them'. Why use pronouns at all ? Why not just use her first name instead, and keep it simple ?

As for the bantering between the players and the quips to KJ, I believe those are all scripted by the show's writers and directed by the directors to bring levity to the game. It just doesn't come across as organic and natural from each of them.

by Anonymousreply 41May 11, 2023 2:44 PM

My fave, Sam Buttrey, is doing better than I expected!

But let's face it...Holzhauer is a machine - he was eating that board UP yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 42May 11, 2023 4:52 PM

Sam is a very hot daddy !

by Anonymousreply 43May 11, 2023 5:45 PM

But just an associate professor. Tsk. At his age.

by Anonymousreply 44May 11, 2023 5:47 PM

Sam bugs the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 45May 11, 2023 7:53 PM

If you're like me, and need to catch up, it's on ABC On Demand.

Probably on YouTube too.

by Anonymousreply 46May 11, 2023 10:50 PM

Masters Tournament is on ABC on Demand and on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 47May 11, 2023 11:00 PM

R46 / R47 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 48May 11, 2023 11:38 PM

Why isn't it on tonight?

by Anonymousreply 49May 12, 2023 12:06 AM

I checked and it's back on Friday. No idea why they skipped tonight.

by Anonymousreply 50May 12, 2023 12:15 AM

I'm caught up. Enjoying this, but rather surprised at who is at the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 51May 12, 2023 2:01 AM

James is annoying, but I want to see him naked. I sense he has a tight body.

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2023 12:49 AM

He got away with, "Keep it in your PANTS, Ken!!"

by Anonymousreply 53May 13, 2023 2:53 AM

Has James ever had sex? He seems too aspie, although I think he's very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 54May 13, 2023 3:34 AM

Matt looks like he wears boxers and, after a few drinks, would sit back on a sofa, unzip his pants, and pull out a fat, soft dick and tell you to get to it. While wearing his boxers and shoes. He would stay silent, even when he shoots his load.

by Anonymousreply 55May 13, 2023 3:57 AM

Three runaway games in one night. James saying he watched "It's a Wonderful Life" "unwillingly" made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 56May 13, 2023 4:34 AM

Another exciting episode. Great games. 60 minutes just seems to fly by!

As much as I admire James' skill and knowledge, his ego seems out of control. I agree with Ken that he's someone best taken in small doses.

I had no idea on first Final, but guessed Lilliput for second Final.

by Anonymousreply 57May 13, 2023 8:09 AM

R57 No one cares what you guessed you ignorant fool Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2023 9:27 AM

I also guessed Lilliput. Shocked James missed it.

by Anonymousreply 59May 13, 2023 9:51 AM

R55, “What is cum?”

by Anonymousreply 60May 13, 2023 11:11 AM

When is the tournament over and we get Ken back?

by Anonymousreply 61May 13, 2023 12:19 PM

[quote] When is the tournament over and we get Ken back?

Sorry to disappoint, but Mayim will continue to be the host of regular Jeopardy until the end of the season, save for the last week when Ken returns. This tournament is not keeping Ken from hosting; the currently divided hosting duties are simply part of the schedule that the producers agreed on months ago.

by Anonymousreply 62May 13, 2023 12:57 PM

Amy seems kind of pissed she's doing so poorly

by Anonymousreply 63May 13, 2023 1:21 PM

Agree. Think Amy might be a handful backstage.

by Anonymousreply 64May 13, 2023 2:43 PM

Ken is obviously dickmatized by James. It’s cute.

by Anonymousreply 65May 13, 2023 3:06 PM

Ken was a speaker at a local university in my town the other day speaking at a conference on AI. I haven't heard much feedback on it. He was a week late in presenting as he had COVID the week before when he was originally scheduled.

by Anonymousreply 66May 13, 2023 8:39 PM

When Ken was a contestant on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune the other night he was playing for the Equal Justice Initiative, which impressed me.

by Anonymousreply 67May 13, 2023 8:43 PM

I think Amy is unnerved by the speed of both Holzhauer and He. Sam, on the other hand, is doing surprisingly well.

by Anonymousreply 68May 13, 2023 8:54 PM

Ken will be back on the regular show sooner than scheduled. Mayim has left the show in solidarity with the writers during the strike. The shows until the end of the season were written, but not yet filmed. Ken has crossed the picket lines to host, but he may not be a member of SAG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 13, 2023 9:33 PM

[quote]Sam, on the other hand, is doing surprisingly well.

"Bring it!"

by Anonymousreply 70May 13, 2023 9:37 PM

This show is being ruined by all this folderol.

by Anonymousreply 71May 13, 2023 9:49 PM

To whomever was asking about this above: the contestants pre-plan their shtick, not the producers. Ken was in on the one where Amy asked him about what it felt like to win his 40th game.

by Anonymousreply 72May 14, 2023 3:17 AM

I was surprised that none of the master trivia experts got the second Final Jeopardy question right on Friday night. It seemed so obvious to me.

by Anonymousreply 73May 14, 2023 6:04 AM

the one odd thing about this tournament is that since they are playing for points in each game, there's no incentive to get the highest score possible, since they only have to win the game. So, if you have a runaway game going into final say, theres no need to bet anything since all you have to do is win-which changes the wagering quotient. (if that were not the case, it would have been interesting to see what the difference $ totals would have been over the 10 games)

by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2023 1:23 PM

I'm sick to death of seeing James and Mattea. In anything. Ship him back to Vegas and her to Mooseville.

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2023 5:18 PM

Matea is doing well surprisingly. Can't stand James

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2023 5:18 PM

How does James know the answer to almost everything? Does he have a photographic memory and memorized Wikipedia?

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2023 5:26 PM

Is James a college grad?

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2023 5:28 PM

What's the " bring it" crap about?

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2023 5:47 PM

R79, the "Bring it" is from Sam. He would say that, or something like "Ken, if you'd please ..." during the Professor's Tournament and TOC, as he was often the one who got to choose the last clue on the board.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2023 6:01 PM

James is almost unwatchable this time around. Such an egomaniac.

He does seem to look better and have a nicer body somehow, as someone mentioned upthread.

Matt Amodio gives off “Pat” from SNL vibes.

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2023 6:41 PM

James's job on The Chase is to dash people's dreams of winning big money by knowing more trivia than they do. They pay him to be an asshole on that show.

He seems to be carrying that Chase character onto Jeopardy Masters. That's why he describes himself as a game show villain.

I suspect he's got at least a mild form of autism -- super smart but lacks basic social skills. That's why its easier for him to play a character than just be himself.

by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2023 6:50 PM

All of the experts on The Chase are paid to play some version of an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2023 8:27 PM

I think that's why Ken didn't stay on The Chase. He didn't really feel comfortable playing an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2023 8:39 PM

James has always been a jackass.

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2023 8:44 PM

James is better groomed this time around, hair and skin.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2023 8:53 PM

Oh, but when James showed his feets....

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2023 9:31 PM

What’s up with James Holzauer and his bare feet?

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2023 9:54 PM

[quote] Oh, but when James showed his feets....

Chris Cuomo would love them all over his face.

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2023 9:55 PM

I guessed FJM correctly (1st part) thanks to CNN and its non stop coverage of every Trump fart during Trump's presidency.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2023 1:53 AM

I like Sam but he is nowhere near the level of his fellow competitors in this tournament, save for Amy who is woefully underperforming.

I understand he qualified by besting fellow profs in that "tournament" but the more "tournaments" they have the more watered down the contestants become. What's next "Tournament of Trans?"

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2023 2:46 AM

Yes, I thought Amy would be near the top of the standings; she seems surprised at her underperformance too. I got UN Ambassador, but would never have got Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 92May 16, 2023 4:28 AM

Ken is comfortable playing an asshole, R84, because he is one, so that can't be the reason he left The Chase. However, I imagine, if he wanted the Jeopardy! hosting job, he'd have to refrain from assholery in order to have a chance.

by Anonymousreply 93May 16, 2023 5:39 AM

Another great game!

Amazed Andrew did so well if his partner, Sarah, just gave birth to their child less than 24 hours before the game was shot. Even on no, or virtually no sleep, he's still a phenomenal player.

Really surprised Amy isn't doing better. I always figured Sam would be last on the tote board.

I guessed SEC chair for first Final. Dolly Madison for second Final. I figured each was wrong, which they were.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2023 6:42 AM

[quote] Chris Cuomo would love them all over his face.

He doesn’t just like Jake Tapper’s feet all over his face?

by Anonymousreply 95May 16, 2023 10:55 AM

I guessed UN Ambassador correctly, and then I guessed Dolly Madison, also.

by Anonymousreply 96May 16, 2023 2:57 PM

[quote]James has always been a jackass.

I watched one episode and realized I had sufficient of this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 97May 16, 2023 3:16 PM

James turned into a jackass right before our eyes halfway through his original run.

by Anonymousreply 98May 16, 2023 4:50 PM

I always thought he had Asian heritage in him, last night James did say his grandmother was Japanese. Gives him that 'attractiveness' for me.

by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2023 5:01 PM

Andrew has really come into his own during JM — he’s funny, charming and ridiculously smart. I’m loving him a lot more now than during his original run.

By contrast, I’m with the posters above re: James. Is he being forced to play? He seems perpetually annoyed by being there/the game, and his reactions to finding the DJs make it seem like he’s frustrated that he found one AGAIN. I’m rooting for him to lose.

by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2023 5:18 PM

James definitely got a style makeover in his subsequent tv outings. I do agree though that his personality is somewhat disagreeable

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2023 5:44 PM

[quote]I always thought he had Asian heritage in him, last night James did say his grandmother was Japanese. Gives him that 'attractiveness' for me.

He mentioned watching Jeopardy with his Japanese grandmother a couple of times during his original run in 2019.

Somewhere I saw photos of him as a kid, maybe about 10 years old. You could definitely tell he was part Asian in those photos. But nowadays, its not so noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2023 6:19 PM

I really enjoy James. He seems a lot more self-aware than people give him credit for being.

I'm really enjoying this tournament, but are they always pitting the winners of the previous day's games against each other? That seems designed to try and make the match points closer than they should be if the groupings were random.

by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2023 6:41 PM

Does Mayim Bialik still chew her sons' food for them? How "attached" is her Attachment Parenting in 2023?

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2023 7:34 PM

James makes my peen hard.

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2023 8:08 PM

say what you want about James-but, in his initial run at least, I never saw anyone play the game better or more strategically--his approach was a literal game changer. (and he had the balls to make huge wagers)

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2023 8:10 PM

I have to say I was into all these players during their initial appearances and its genuinely exciting when someone is on that kind of roll and making a ton of money--they were all pretty likable and I was rooting for them. Continued explore however makes them less appealing each time out-and this tournament is relatively close to the last Tournament of Champions and they are all wearing out their welcome (although Andrew isn't grating on me)

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2023 8:14 PM

Watching the syndicated game back to back with the Masters Tournament is like watching a junior high school play and then a Broadway play -- amateurs stumbling around vs professionals at the top of their game.

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2023 8:35 PM

Annie Sullivan was such an obvious answer, I'm surprised that the Jeopardy Masters didn't get it for one of last week's Final Jeopardy questions.

by Anonymousreply 109May 16, 2023 8:37 PM

admittedly, the questions (answers) for the most part on Masters are significantly harder

by Anonymousreply 110May 16, 2023 8:43 PM

Has it been reported how many days were involved in taping all of these Masters games?

by Anonymousreply 111May 16, 2023 10:16 PM

I think on a regular season schedule they shoot 5 episodes in a day-so at 20 games for Masters it was probably a week or 10 days?

by Anonymousreply 112May 16, 2023 10:33 PM

Just joining this thread and the tournament which I finally caught last night and will now continue to watch.....so forgive me if I'm not the first to say I don't particularly care for any of these contestants. Well, maybe Sam.....

by Anonymousreply 113May 16, 2023 11:35 PM

Apparently the Masters Tournament was filmed recently --- at the end of April and in early May.

The article linked below details how Mattea's 57-year-old father died of a brain aneurysm on May 2 while Mattea was filming the final episode of the Masters Tournament.

Very sorry for Mattea's loss. Wonder how this news will affect her performance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2023 12:50 AM

I don't get how Chris knows the answers to some of the most obscure questions yet he hasn't had the answer in several FJ's.

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2023 2:40 AM

R111 Jeopardy! tapes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the regular season. I'm not sure about this tournament. At five episodes a day, it probably took them four days, or two weeks of Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

The "Green Room" for Jeopardy! is actually the set of Wheel of Fortune, which tapes on Thursdays and Fridays. The wardrobe room is shared and is adjacent to the Wheel set.

The infrastructure for Jeopardy! and Wheel is intermingled. Even the area of the parking structure, where contestants gather in the morning, is shared.

by Anonymousreply 116May 17, 2023 2:47 AM

I don't like Big Country or the bagpipes, but I got that one, Too bad I guessed Riyadh and Wailing Wall... James is coasting to victory.

by Anonymousreply 117May 17, 2023 4:57 AM

R115, Who is Chris?

by Anonymousreply 118May 17, 2023 5:57 AM

Another great game. Great play.

Andrew continues to impress. Such an amazing comeback after losing twice on the DDs.

Interesting to hear James spearheaded a Jeopardy-like trivia contest in Las Vegas and got other Jeopardy champs to participate, including Amy. I was sensing some tension between James and Amy earlier.

Looks like it will be a battle between Amy and Matt for 4th place. Obviously, Sam won't make it to the semi-finals.

I had no idea on either first or second Final.

by Anonymousreply 119May 17, 2023 6:19 AM

How does the semifinal work? I

by Anonymousreply 120May 17, 2023 6:21 AM

Wednesday's match up will have Mattea, Matt and Sam playing in the first game while James, Andrew and Amy playing in the second game.

That's going to be some tough competition for Amy to play James and Andrew. She needs to at win or come in second if she has any chance of making it to the semi-finals. James and Andrew will be hard for her to beat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 17, 2023 6:39 AM

I'm liking Mattea the best so far.

by Anonymousreply 122May 17, 2023 2:41 PM

James blew through his match last night like a buzzsaw

by Anonymousreply 123May 17, 2023 2:43 PM

The GOAT tournament wasn't all that long ago either-I think they need to stop promoting these same winning contestants ad nauseam although im sure it's a rating thing. (However, I do love me some Brad Rutter)

by Anonymousreply 124May 17, 2023 4:05 PM

When is the next teen tournament? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 125May 17, 2023 4:08 PM

Yeah I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Brad Rutter again myself.

by Anonymousreply 126May 17, 2023 5:16 PM

R118 I meant James. Don't know why I said Chris.

by Anonymousreply 127May 17, 2023 5:22 PM

How the hell was James ever defeated in his original run? Did his defeater have much of a run?

by Anonymousreply 128May 17, 2023 5:28 PM

Which one of the six Masters are you most like?

Take the short quiz below and find out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 17, 2023 6:46 PM

I took that quiz. Some of the questions are ridiculous and have no bearing on my life. But it was fun nonetheless.

Seems I'm most like Mattea.

by Anonymousreply 130May 17, 2023 6:49 PM

R128 - James was defeated by Emma Boettcher, who later ended up competing against him again in that year's TOC.

by Anonymousreply 131May 17, 2023 7:01 PM

I hope Andrew kicks the shit out of James and hits every single DD and beats him at his own game. His schtick is getting pretty old; bringing that stupid belt onstage was stupid.

The surprise to me has been Amy's collapse; I think the speed got her rattled and she can't shake it off.

by Anonymousreply 132May 17, 2023 7:03 PM

[quote]The surprise to me has been Amy's collapse; I think the speed got her rattled and she can't shake it off.

Amy may be off her game this time, but she could come back in the next tournament.

Remember, Matt collapsed during the Tournament of Champions last fall. Didn't even make it to the finals. But he has come back strong in this Masters Tournament.

by Anonymousreply 133May 17, 2023 7:08 PM

R128. if I remember correctly, James either wagered too much too late on a daily double that he missed-or that it was really the difference of one clue that went the wrong way for him late in the game and he would up just being shy of having the most money going into FJ and then they both answered correctly--it was all just kind of a fluke she won-and then she either lost the following game or the one after that.

by Anonymousreply 134May 17, 2023 8:20 PM

I'm Matea--do I have to wear a Ferdinand the Bull nose ring now?

by Anonymousreply 135May 17, 2023 8:23 PM

I took the quiz and apparently I'm Andrew! I'm fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 136May 17, 2023 8:23 PM

I'm Mattea, too, but some of those questions needed "none of the above."

by Anonymousreply 137May 17, 2023 10:10 PM

I’m an Andrew

by Anonymousreply 138May 17, 2023 10:18 PM

I came up with Amy.

by Anonymousreply 139May 17, 2023 10:29 PM

r134 I don't remember all the specifics of James' initial downfall from four years ago.

What I do recall is that Emma found the daily double and bet big. She went into Final with more money than James -- a first for him. For Final, she bet high and he bet lower. They both got Final right, but Emma had more money and won.

James' final gamed aired on June 3, 2019. I'm sure the episode is out there on YouTube somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 140May 17, 2023 10:33 PM

Is that the woman with a penis?

by Anonymousreply 141May 17, 2023 10:33 PM

Mattea mentioned going on vaca and listening to "Dad music." I hope she wasn't planning a vacation with her dad.

Bye Sam.

by Anonymousreply 142May 18, 2023 12:38 AM

Matt did really well tonight. James is just out of everyone else’s league.

by Anonymousreply 143May 18, 2023 12:56 AM

Sad trombone for r139.

by Anonymousreply 144May 18, 2023 1:23 AM

I'm still in Matt's camp. I have a soft spot for him.

Wonder if Grampa Amodio got jealous when Sam hugged Matt.

by Anonymousreply 145May 18, 2023 2:50 AM

R128-If you saw James finale in his original run, he seemed to deliberately throw the game, as if he'd had enough.

by Anonymousreply 146May 18, 2023 3:06 AM

Why does Amy always look like a frumpy housewife, that pant suit ensemble was hideousness indeed.

by Anonymousreply 147May 18, 2023 4:39 AM

Matt had a good game, particularly with geographic clues, which makes me more convinced than ever that HE deliberately threw in the towel with his notorious Polish Alps answer.

by Anonymousreply 148May 18, 2023 4:44 AM

I’d love to have James inside me.

by Anonymousreply 149May 18, 2023 5:18 AM

Another great game.

Matt did exceptionally well. Very impressive.

And James betting it all on a DD so close to the end of the game! His spot in the semi-finals was already locked up, so he wasn't really risking anything. Nonetheless, it was still a daring bet.

Sad to see Amy and Sam go. I like them both.

After watching theses pros play, its hard to go back to syndicated Jeopardy and watching the amateurs play.

I had no idea on either Final.

by Anonymousreply 150May 18, 2023 7:05 AM

Here is Final for June 3, 2019 -- the last game in James' original winning streak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 18, 2023 7:14 AM

Here is the Final where Matt Amodio ended his original run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 18, 2023 7:22 AM

You do know that Amy is a man, R147?

by Anonymousreply 153May 18, 2023 12:55 PM

It was clear after the first match-given that Matt and Matteo were safely into the next round-- that Amy was out even before the second match started because James and Andrew were already in the 1/2 positions

by Anonymousreply 154May 18, 2023 1:12 PM

R147, When they showed James, Andrew and Amy sitting in the green room, Amy looked like the chair had swallowed her.

by Anonymousreply 155May 18, 2023 1:21 PM

Amy should use some of her winnings for a stylist

by Anonymousreply 156May 18, 2023 1:34 PM

since the finals are a two day combined points total=they are going to be more serious about wagering and getting as most points as possible and less casual about all in bets and blowing off FJ with joke answers

by Anonymousreply 157May 18, 2023 1:36 PM

Sam had just won the teachers tournament-its hardly like he was one of the most impressive champions of all time

by Anonymousreply 158May 18, 2023 1:37 PM

I think Sam is there because he's become a 'fan favorite' since he won the Teacher's Tournament. Otherwise, why not bring the College Tournament winner in also?

by Anonymousreply 159May 18, 2023 2:11 PM

Sam is very likable. He’s not the strongest player but I’ve enjoyed him in this tournament. I thought what Matt Amodio said about their friendship was incredibly sweet.

by Anonymousreply 160May 18, 2023 2:17 PM

Amy looks like a frumpy housewife with a five o'clock shadow every day. He really needs a better electric razor. He's not convincing as a woman.

by Anonymousreply 161May 18, 2023 2:20 PM

Not to kick the trans hornet's nest but it really bothers me that Amy holds the title of longest-winning female contestant. Mattea should rightfully be the recipient of that title.

by Anonymousreply 162May 18, 2023 5:15 PM

Amy still had a penis, right?

by Anonymousreply 163May 18, 2023 5:35 PM

[quote] Not to kick the trans hornet's nest but it really bothers me that Amy holds the title of longest-winning female contestant. Mattea should rightfully be the recipient of that title.

Yes, let's argue about that meaningless title. Who do we see about righting this great injustice?

by Anonymousreply 164May 18, 2023 6:10 PM

[quote]Not to kick the trans hornet's nest

No, you're definitely NOT trying to do that. Not in the least.

by Anonymousreply 165May 18, 2023 6:11 PM

It's not a meaningless title, R164. I'm so sorry if you think it's shit-stirring when it's mentioned yet another title has been given to a man when it was earned by a woman.

R165, eh, not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 166May 18, 2023 6:16 PM

[quote] It's not a meaningless title

Tell us all about why it's so meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 167May 18, 2023 6:18 PM

Well, R167, we're posting in a thread titled: Jeopardy Masters Tournament. The title is indeed the title of their latest tournament. The irony of reading comments saying that a Jeopardy title is meaningless is not lost on me. Is it lost on you?

Now I'm off to garden. Have a lovely day.

by Anonymousreply 168May 18, 2023 7:19 PM

[quote] Is it lost on you?

Completely. It's a game show.

A

Game

Show

Is that lost to you?

by Anonymousreply 169May 18, 2023 7:34 PM

Watching the video linked above to Matt's final game in his original 38-game winning streak, it is clear he deliberately lost the game with his wrong answer. The man knows geography very well and would have easily known a question as simple as that one.

Watching the video linked above of James's final game in his original run in 2019, he bet poorly and lost the game to Emma. But if he'd bet it all, he still would have lost to Emma since she had more money and also bet it all. His low wager bet was based on the assumption that she would get Final wrong, but she didn't get it wrong. I cannot say conclusively that James deliberately lost that game.

by Anonymousreply 170May 18, 2023 7:56 PM

[quote] But if he'd bet it all, he still would have lost to Emma since she had more money and also bet it all.

Correction: She bet most of her money but not all of her money on that Final. She bet enough to beat James even if he had bet everything.

by Anonymousreply 171May 18, 2023 8:01 PM

Matter doesn’t want the “highest scoring woman” title since they are not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 172May 18, 2023 8:13 PM

Mattea is non binary. So the longest woman's winning streak wouldn't be theirs anyway.

Unless she felt like a woman on enough days of her streak?

I guess?

by Anonymousreply 173May 18, 2023 8:21 PM

Mattea is a biological woman and Amy is a biological man. What is so hard to understand?

by Anonymousreply 174May 18, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote] What is so hard to understand?

What is so hard to understand is why this matters to you so much.

by Anonymousreply 175May 18, 2023 10:23 PM

Conservatives are categorical thinkers. Nuance gives them headaches and makes them feel stupid which they deal with by calling everyone else stupid.

by Anonymousreply 176May 18, 2023 10:25 PM

The "theying" of American is bullshit-especially for those that are fine with other pronouns. So if you're a biological woman and youre good with either She/They--why do you need the they? Its all cosplay and the need for attention

by Anonymousreply 177May 18, 2023 10:44 PM

Well, R175, R169 says it's just a game show. Amy seems to have forged a career out of the exposure she received when she appeared on Jeopardy. Mattea's potential earnings could be affected without the title.

So it's just a game show. Let's add that to the list: Just like it's just a sports competition, a scholarship, a college admission, a woman's shelter, a shared prison cell, a locker room, a dressing room, a public bathroom, a sorority, a sauna and the biggest tragedy of them all? It's just the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival. It's no big deal it's just a game show.

I'll say no more. Enjoy your evening.

by Anonymousreply 178May 18, 2023 10:45 PM

r177, and should we all get off your lawn?

by Anonymousreply 179May 18, 2023 10:46 PM

you can stay on my lawn, but they can get off

by Anonymousreply 180May 18, 2023 10:47 PM

I had a born male cousin who died unexpectedly in a fall several years ago at age 55.

Even though he had been living as a female for decades and legally changed his first name, because he still had his penis, the medical examiner insisted that MALE appear on the death certificate.

And this was in ultra liberal Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 181May 18, 2023 11:02 PM

[quote] I'll say no more.

Please let that be true. Because a game show "record" is nothing like any of the other things in your list.

by Anonymousreply 182May 19, 2023 12:22 AM

Next episode is Monday.

by Anonymousreply 183May 19, 2023 12:28 AM

It is ironic that Amy holds the title of longest-winning woman when in fact Amy is not a woman and Jeopardy is a show about FACTS.

by Anonymousreply 184May 19, 2023 12:42 AM

R182, you replied to me six times in reference to my original post. If you want me to be quiet on the issue please stop asking me to elaborate on the issue.

As for your assertion a game show is not on the same level ? I suppose not but it is another example of just how far this cancer has spread.

Have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 185May 19, 2023 4:13 PM

I'm rooting for Mattea. She annoyed me during her original run, but I've grown to love her.

The "in" jokes—"Bring it!," James' joke FJ answers, etc—have grown extremely stale.

by Anonymousreply 186May 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Vulture, the cultural news website of New York magazine, just did an interview with Jeopardy! EP Michael Davies. He answers lots of our Jeopardy! questions in this interview.

Interview is linked below, but Vulture is a subscription site that only gives you one or two free stories a month. Since some people may not be able to access the story, I'll copy and paste it below. It's a long interview so it will take multiple posts to get it all on here.

By Devon Ivie, a staff writer covering classic rock and TV

America’s favorite game show of objective, blue-tinted truth has given us a new spectacle to behold. Jeopardy! Masters reconvenes six of the most prolific champions in the show’s recent history — Amy Schneider, Andrew He, James Holzhauer, Mattea Roach, Sam Buttrey, and Matt Amodio — many of whom have previously faced off against each other from across the lecterns. Through May 24, this sextet is working within a point system to outsmart their way to glory, with each episode consisting of two back-to-back games hosted by Ken Jennings. (If you win your game, for instance, you’re awarded three points, while zero points are given to the third-place finisher.) The $500,000 prize is a nice touch for whoever is eventually crowned “master,” but perpetual bragging rights, of course, is perhaps the most important stake of all.

Executive producer Michael Davies has been steering the good ship Jep! ever since the demise of Mike Richards in 2021, bringing forth decades of bold development experience to the franchise. (He’s the one who brought Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Stateside.) With a current contract signed for three years, he’s enacting a vision that approaches the game show as a sport, with spinoffs, new visuals, and rule changes all possibilities in the near future. “I have lots of ideas,” Davies tells me. “There are limits on my power, there are limits on my knowledge. But I’ve spent a career developing shows and adjusting based on feedback. I’m truly open to it.”

Jeopardy! debuted the Second Chance Tournament near the end of last year. Why was now the right time for another new event?

To be honest, I’m not convinced I could say that it was the right time to launch it. I was compelled to produce it because I love the concept. I’m not an impatient person, but when I get excited about an idea, I want to see it happen. I knew the network wanted it, and one thing I’ve learned over the years is that when a network wants an idea, you don’t delay it for a year — you strike while they’re excited. So this was the timing.

It would’ve been hard to do this before now. My predecessors couldn’t have done it earlier because we just had that season of super-champions, which is where almost all these players emerged from. There’s been some talk out there like, Oh, is there a recency bias? Why do we only have the most recent champions other than James Holzhauer? But when you go through what these players do statistically and how they play the game, you realize they’re playing at a different level in terms of the number of correct answers per show. Now we look at their buzzer data. We can see their buzzer attempts and their buzzer speed. We had six masters and Ken who were able to carry this franchise, put that title on it, and have it mean something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187May 19, 2023 9:33 PM

Part 2

Do you fear that too many new programs and initiatives could perhaps be seen as overkill for the franchise?

Jeopardy! is a Monday through Friday show in syndication. Obviously a lot of the people who watch the syndication show are also watching the prime-time Masters or Celebrity Jeopardy!, but the large part of the audience is different; it’s an audience on a different platformThe prime-time Jeopardy! has a definitive evening time slot on ABC and is also available to stream on Hulu. . I think Jeopardy! deserves to be a prime-time brand. We can afford to make a prime-time version of the show and a syndicated version of the show.

I’m managing Jeopardy! as though it’s a sport. I want to build an elite pyramid of competition that plays a postseason every single year at the same time that allows our best players to compete against each other, whether they directly qualify for the Tournament of Champions, Second Chance, or come through the Champions Wildcard we’re introducing this year. I want a real postseason. I’ve talked long and hard about the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament, where I want the best players who ever played Jeopardy! to come back and play again. That is where I see it going. Sony, ABC, and the majority of the Jeopardy! community — which is incredibly active and passionate — have supported me in that vision. It doesn’t mean that Monday through Friday Jeopardy! isn’t as important and every contestant who has a dream of playing isn’t important. But I do believe our very best players deserve to be in competition with each other. I think it makes Jeopardy! an even more appealing and important program.

I took the job on an interim basis thinking I was going to stay for three months. I fell in love with Jeopardy! It’s this incredible community of fact-based knowledge and intellectual curiosity of book reading, learning, merit, and words. It says everything that’s great about this country.

What’s the difference between the prime-time and syndicated audiences?

We have Nielsen, so we don’t have pure numbers, but we have a sample of both audiences. The prime-time audience is a little bit younger, but other than that, it follows the same patterns of the Jeopardy! audience. This platform makes a big difference. A lot more people are available to watch it. We always think that Jeopardy! is on at 7 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. at night, but it’s not in every part of the country Jeopardy! airs in different markets on syndication at different time zones. In Chicago it airs in the afternoon, for instance, and New York City is 7 p.m. .

by Anonymousreply 188May 19, 2023 9:33 PM

Part 3

Were all six of these champions open to the idea immediately or did it require convincing? I remember Ken, back at the Greatest of All Time tournament, told me he didn’t want to do it at first.

I spoke to all of the masters personally about what I was planning. I felt that I had buy-in. Some of them had legitimate points about the prize structure and the format of the competition. It was a ten-episode order and there was no way of getting away from the episode count, so we had to jury-rig it to work. I would’ve liked to truly test out the masters in this tournament — seen every single combination of three-play game. We were close to every combination, but you can’t get every combination in seven quarterfinal episodes.

What adjustments did you have to make?

We threw a little more money at the lower end of the prize budget. I realized we were asking these people to spend a lot of time doing this tournament, and perhaps the prize at the lower end of the leaderboard wasn’t sufficient. That was the major thing, as well as a charitable component to the first-place prize. James Holzhauer deserves credit for that. In terms of the format, they had questions, but we worked through as much as we could on paper. I’m interested to see how the tournament is received. I think there are some things we broadly got right, and there are some other things we’ve got to wait and give some time to see if we’re right.

How was the point system settled upon for Jeopardy! Masters? Were any other formats considered?

The way I work with my creative team at Jeopardy! is that there’s a very healthy pushback against me. More conservative voices question my radical and overexcited ideas. I was questioned hard about the points format, specifically about its relatability to an American audience. It’s very soccer-based — three points for a win, one point for a draw, zero points for a loss. Would that format give somebody such an unassailable lead that they could never be caught? I felt it wasn’t enough to give someone two points for a win and one point for second place. Winning is a major difference. We also talked a lot about the tiebreakers. We got them mostly right, which is that first tiebreaker would go to the amount of games won. That encourages risk, especially in the finals. The second tiebreaker is clues answered correctly, and that’s because we have the data to figure out how strong our players actually are.

ABC gave a very good note. I had this being a round-robin format until we got to the final and had a champion in the standings, but the network wanted a definitive final where everything was on the line because they could give it more promotion. I understand that. We’ll see how that plays out and what the appetite is for how many episodes ABC will want to make next year. I’m very confident that it will be on again this time next year. This is the pinnacle of our game, the top of our pyramid. While I’m in the chair doing this job, this is my contribution.

A creative flourish that debuted in the tournament is Ken showing viewers, but not the contestants, where the Daily Doubles are located on the board. Why did you want to include this more interactive element?

The genesis came from the Tournament of Champions. We have these big grids printed out of the game board, which is how we read the material. When we were sitting at the producers’ table in the control room during those epic games between Amy and Andrew and Sam, it was like we were playing Battleship. We were constantly following where the Daily Doubles were and how they gutted around them. You could feel us gasping every time they just missed a Daily Double. Within this elite competition of players, that’s the difference between winning and losing. We felt we should be offering fans and viewers the same opportunity we have as producers. The jury is still out. There have been some people who love it and some who don’t. But you can just turn away and not look at it.

by Anonymousreply 189May 19, 2023 9:34 PM

Part 4

I know this Masters tournament has been on your franchise wish list for a while. What other ambitions now replace it?

My dream is to have a second-screen Jeopardy! experience. People could get live statistics throughout the show, such as buzzer-speed data and how many attempts contestants have tried to buzz in. The other thing I’m quite fixated upon is the game board. The huge advantage of watching this show in the studio while we’re filming is that we see the game board full. The speed of these games move so fast that I often lose track of what category we’re in. That’s the other feature I’d love to be able to offer on the second screen: the full game board. One of the things we’re experimenting with in the off-season is figuring out where, within the real estate of a full-screen clue, we can include the category title — or whether we go for a slightly different shot sequence before we reveal the clue so we can see which category it’s coming from.

Listen, the live experience of watching television is really about sports and Jeopardy! at this point. It’s become the end use. It sits and competes with sports for eyeballs and viewers. But the player base has changed. Indulge me here. Even to my own closest friends and biggest fans, many of them think that I’ve lost the plot in what I’m about to say.

All right, let’s hear it. I’m intrigued.

I think the nature of trivia and general knowledge has changed, so the canon has changed. In the 1990s, Jeopardy! was just another game show because everybody knew the same general knowledge. It was a test between three people. At this point in 2023, there’s so much more knowledge in the world. We have a much broader view of culture. It’s so hard for anybody to know everything. Jeopardy! is harder than ever. People think we’ve eased up the material, but we haven’t.

This seems reasonable to me. How is it losing the plot?

Maybe a clue we would ask about John Steinbeck or F. Scott Fitzgerald might seem simpler than a clue about John Steinbeck or F. Scott Fitzgerald 25 years ago. But that was when everybody was reading Steinbeck and Fitzgerald. Now the reading list — the canon that people read in literature — is much broader. We have to push people against a better range. The effect that’s happened on Jeopardy! is on our contestants. You don’t get on Jeopardy! unless you’re really good. You need a really good test score to get on the show. But the delta between our really good contestants and our elite super champions is enormous on any statistical basis. That sort of forced the sport.

When Harry Friedman made the greatest decision ever in the history of Jeopardy!, which was taking away the capped five-win rule, it led to super-champions existing on the show who regular players couldn’t really compete with. There was no competition for elite players to play against other elite players except the occasional Tournament of Champions or the Greatest of All Time tournament, which was a huge inspiration for everything I’ve done. It’s the changing nature of general knowledge, the changing nature of education, and the internet in terms of the quality of our players that’s forcing this change.

by Anonymousreply 190May 19, 2023 9:36 PM

Part 5

How are these changes reflected in the writers you hire?

I should know and I apologize, but I don’t know what happened before I arrived on those periods of the show. We certainly have more writers. This past season, we had more Guild writers than ever before. With the demands on writing between the additional franchises, we promoted a couple of researchers into writing positions. I think the job has become harder because of our material. Our clues become famous. Every night, a bunch of our clues get laser-focused on social media. They get endlessly taken apart and discussed. We have 61 clues per half-hour. The quality of the writing has never been stronger. I see it improving constantly. Each clue has to test an audience and entertain in and of itself.

We also need to understand that to some extent, we’re part of the culture and need to make sure we’re representing everything. Last year we didn’t write about Edward Hopper at the Whitney. I was like, “How do we not write about Hopper at the Whitney?” It was one of the cultural events of the year in New York and we didn’t cover it. I felt we should have. It’s hard because we’re often writing in advance. We’re trying to just figure it all out. Jeopardy! is the last place in America where people from all over the country, from all different backgrounds, agree about facts.

When Ken and Mayim were announced as dual hosts last year, the verbiage made it fairly clear that she would be handling new tournaments as they emerged. But Ken is hosting this one. How was that decision made?

I’m not being evasive, I just don’t know. That wasn’t the decision I came in to make. When I joined Jeopardy!, there was already a deal that existed with Mayim to do all prime-time events. At that point it was just the Jeopardy! National College Championship. I don’t think anybody had thought about any other prime-time events. Then Celebrity Jeopardy! happened, which became natural for Mayim to handle. I think Mayim would agree that Masters was a more natural Ken tournament in terms of where his true hosting expertise lies. To me, it was pretty clear from the start that Ken was going to host.

by Anonymousreply 191May 19, 2023 9:38 PM

Part 6

You’ve stated that you’re active in monitoring online responses to the show and take audience feedback seriously. Have you gotten the sense that viewers prefer one host to the other?

I couldn’t give you an absolute number. We read data from everywhere. In terms of the tiny percentage of our audience that do go on Reddit or Twitter, there are Ken fans and there are Mayim fans. There are some people who love Jeopardy! and will watch both. We also have various fans who post that they don’t like either of them. That’s just part of the data we look at. One of the biggest things is the ratings of the show. When Ken is hosting and Mayim is hosting, there’s zero difference. It’s exactly the same and that’s the broadest part of the audience. When I arrived, there had been an incredible fracture at the heart of Jeopardy! with the loss of Alex Trebek and then the awkward months of the summer of 2021. There was a lot of rebuilding to do. I stand by the decision to bring Ken in and have Ken be a second host along with Mayim. I back both of them. I go to the studio every day and try to make both of them better at hosting the show and make a better program environment around them. They have my full support.

This show is so hard to host. Alex made it his own, but it wasn’t his own the first couple of years. A lot of what happened on Jeopardy! came from him possessing this job for so long. I do read everything, and look, the strongest thing we’ve got is the passion of our fans. I wish many of our fans were more patient in understanding that we’re dealing with two hosts. Mayim is a very experienced actress. Ken is a very experienced Jeopardy! player. They’re both at the beginning of their hosting careers. There’s an idea that I hold absolute power in making decisions around Jeopardy!, but I don’t. That’s not the nature of the job. I’m a caretaker for this. I made a deal for three years and I’ll do everything I can to make this successful for the three years I’m in the job. Maybe that’s why I’m moving so fast to enact the things I want to do. I’m like a new coach on a basketball team. I’ve got to get in and do it very, very fast before I get fired.

James has repeatedly teased Ken about wanting a rematch after their Greatest tournament. Is there any scenario in which that could happen?

There are various rules that exist at Jeopardy! that were laid down by the greats. Every now and then I bump up against them. One of those rules is once you’ve hosted Jeopardy!, you can never play Jeopardy! again. This question of eligibility comes up more frequently than anybody else with Buzzy Cohen, who is the host of two of our podcasts. Ken has very directly told me he’s retired from Jeopardy!. I understand the reason that no one who’s hosted can ever play again. But Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus played the Masters long after they were hosting tournaments on the PGA. I’m probably more open to the idea than other people, but that would never be my decision. Would I like to see Ken and James play again? Absolutely. We’ll see.

James said something to me the other day, though, which really made me laugh. He mentioned that his wife had asked if the prize for Masters could be allowing the player to go back on the Monday through Friday version of Jeopardy!. What he wants more than anything else is to go back on the show. We don’t allow anybody back on the show who’s played before. There’s a little part of me that thinks, Does that make sense? If I want the best possible people playing this game on the Alex Trebek Stage, do I need to deny previous players from those who never played before? I’m not convinced. I always want to find new players, but I’m not sure we should be eliminating everybody who’s ever played. There could be another James Holzhauer out there who just had a bad day.

by Anonymousreply 192May 19, 2023 9:39 PM

Interesting! Thank you r187

by Anonymousreply 193May 19, 2023 10:05 PM

Wow! What a quote from the story above:

[quote]You need a really good test score to get on the show. But the delta between our really good contestants and our elite super champions is enormous.

by Anonymousreply 194May 19, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote]There could be another James Holzhauer out there who just had a bad day.

That's more or less what happened to Andrew. He lost after 6 or 7 games in regular play. He'd proven himself a good player there, but nothing spectacular. There was little in those early appearances that indicated he was a super champion.

It was only during the Tournament of Champions that we really got to see how phenomenal Andrew is. And he's proven that to us once again with the Masters Tournament.

by Anonymousreply 195May 19, 2023 11:43 PM

Thanks for posting that article. I do wish it was dishier!

by Anonymousreply 196May 20, 2023 1:49 AM

I want Michael Davies deep inside me!

by Anonymousreply 197May 20, 2023 8:08 AM

So many hard questions, but I'm sure most DLers got "Stella Dallas" and "Broadcast News." But I missed "Peterloo" and The Golden Hind.

by Anonymousreply 198May 23, 2023 4:32 AM

Good game, of course. Nice to see James not running away with either game.

I thought the questions were rather easy for a Masters Tournament as I got many of them including Stella Dallas, Broadcast News and Peterloo.

However, i didn't get either of the Finals.

by Anonymousreply 199May 23, 2023 7:07 AM

I thought Mike Richards was hot. Stella and Broadcast easy easy answers! never heard of Peterloo.

by Anonymousreply 200May 23, 2023 7:52 PM

Peterloo was a massacre in Manchester, England in 1819 where 18 people protesting for government reforms were killed and another 400-700 injured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201May 23, 2023 7:56 PM

James just answered"Where's the beef?" without phrasing it in the form of a question. They better catch that and correct his mistake.

by Anonymousreply 202May 24, 2023 12:12 AM

He just did the same thing three more times. If the answer is already a question like "What's New Pussycat?" The contestant doesn't have to preface it with a What is or Who is before they answer?

by Anonymousreply 203May 24, 2023 12:25 AM

Suck my asshole

by Anonymousreply 204May 24, 2023 12:28 AM

Mattea looked shocked that she'll be in the final. It was a squeaker between her and Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 205May 24, 2023 1:04 AM

Pretty impressive comeback by Matt to secure a spot in the finals.

by Anonymousreply 206May 24, 2023 1:04 AM

Don't know about you guys, but I'm really enjoying this Tournament.

by Anonymousreply 207May 24, 2023 1:20 AM

Mattea, who seemed so unstoppable in regular Jeopardy is really not impressing in ToC.

by Anonymousreply 208May 24, 2023 1:22 AM

I'm over James. It's just boring watching him steamroll the other contestants. Yesterday I stopped watching after he got two daily doubles and left everyone in the dust. He also has really annoying fanboys.

by Anonymousreply 209May 24, 2023 1:24 AM

R208, her father died early on in the tournament. I thinks she's doing damn well considering the circumstances. Her emotions were so raw when she spoke of her father's passing and her reaction to advancing shows she's barely holding it together.

by Anonymousreply 210May 24, 2023 1:27 AM

Will they start from scratch in the finals?

by Anonymousreply 211May 24, 2023 1:49 AM

Yes r153, that was the bitchy part of DL.

Can't they do a Queer Eye for the Tranny guy or something? They need help, perhaps a drag queen consultation?

by Anonymousreply 212May 24, 2023 2:08 AM

R212 - it would make sense they'd start from scratch, just as they did with the semi-finals.

I was shocked to see Andrew go.

I thought for sure he would win over Mattea.

by Anonymousreply 213May 24, 2023 2:21 AM

Oops - meant to reply to R211.

by Anonymousreply 214May 24, 2023 2:21 AM

Yay Matteo

by Anonymousreply 215May 24, 2023 3:09 AM

For those interested, here's the obit for Mattea's dad. So sad - he died unexpectedly May 2, at the age of 57. He would be 58 on June 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216May 24, 2023 3:23 AM

I’ve never really been a huge fan of Mattea, but I thought that her discussion about how kind everyone had been when her dad died suddenly was extremely touching.

by Anonymousreply 217May 24, 2023 3:42 AM

In Shakespeare this man is a rival of Prince Hal; in real life he was older than Hal’s father

The fact that Hotspur was older than Hal doesn't discount him from being a rival; shouldn't they have said "a contemporary" or "a coeval" rather than "a rival"?

by Anonymousreply 218May 24, 2023 4:41 AM

The clue for “Where’s the beef” specified that the correct response was three words.

by Anonymousreply 219May 24, 2023 4:45 AM

Any form of a question has always been accepted as long as it is correct. “Where’s the beef?” is a properly formed question and it was correct.

by Anonymousreply 220May 24, 2023 5:47 AM

Clara Peller made me moist - down there.

by Anonymousreply 221May 24, 2023 6:35 AM

Wow! Another great game. I'm shocked Andrew is the one eliminated. I would have bet that either Mattea or Matt would be the one eliminated.

That was a nice tribute Mattea did for her father. I can't imagine playing in this Tournament just days after learning a loved one had died. She has my great admiration. And her shocked reaction to seeing she had bested Andrew was so genuine and sincere. So touching that she immediately went to hug Andrew.

One thing that has become clear in this Tournament is how much these contestants all genuine like each other and have become friends.

Will be excited to see this all wrap up tomorrow. But also sad to see this Tournament end. I've enjoyed it so much!

by Anonymousreply 222May 24, 2023 7:10 AM

^They

by Anonymousreply 223May 24, 2023 1:02 PM

Oppps, you're right. Mattea is a they. Sorry, thanks for catching that.

I don't know how Ken manages to keep up with the they/their when he is referring to Mattea on camera. My hat's off to him for that!

by Anonymousreply 224May 24, 2023 5:06 PM

R224, you seem to have complimented Ken multiple times about that. It’s not a remarkable accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 225May 24, 2023 5:25 PM

R224, According to her father’s obituary, Mattea was his first born child, followed by three sons.

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 226May 24, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote]It’s not a remarkable accomplishment.

Its something I can't seem to manage to do, so it does seem to be remarkable from my perspective, r225.

by Anonymousreply 227May 24, 2023 5:50 PM

R222, I believe Mattea said her dad passed away when she was in LA taping the show. I wonder if they paused production in order to allow her to attend her dad's funeral.

by Anonymousreply 228May 24, 2023 9:35 PM

I find James annoying and boring to watch, but he is on another level. In the Quarterfinals, he had 193 correct responses and the second highest was Andrew with 131. In the Semifinals, he had 72 correct responses and the second highest was Mattea with 50.

That said, I'm rooting for Mattea.

by Anonymousreply 229May 24, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote] I wonder if they paused production in order to allow her to attend her dad's funeral.

I wondered that too. The way Mattea phrased it when talking about her dad's death on last night's show, it did sound like they stopped production for several days while she went to the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 230May 24, 2023 10:06 PM

In case you missed it....Slate is not happy with the Jeopardy "multiverse".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231May 24, 2023 10:56 PM

Where is the new regular Jeopardy thread? Any links?

by Anonymousreply 232May 24, 2023 11:31 PM

Here you go,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233May 24, 2023 11:33 PM

That's the old one, r233. Or were you making a limp joke?

by Anonymousreply 234May 24, 2023 11:35 PM

Oh, shit. The thread just hit 600 and is closed. Sorry, R232.

by Anonymousreply 235May 24, 2023 11:35 PM

No worries, r235. Thanks for trying.

by Anonymousreply 236May 24, 2023 11:39 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237May 24, 2023 11:40 PM

Interview with EP Michael Davies.

Interview was done by Clair McNear, who wrote the story in August 2021 exposing previous EP Mike Richards' dirty deeds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238May 24, 2023 11:46 PM

I hope the scores are are close all the way through the final.

by Anonymousreply 239May 25, 2023 12:11 AM

[quote]I wondered that too. The way Mattea phrased it when talking about her dad's death on last night's show, it did sound like they stopped production for several days while she went to the funeral.

When Andrew mentioned that his wife had delivered their baby, it sounded like the show flew him to be with them.

I read on some other forum (Reddit or Quora? Don't recall) that the shooting schedule got all messed up, so this is probably why.

by Anonymousreply 240May 25, 2023 12:19 AM

r231 Your Slate article reveals the most gorgeous Jeopardy player I've ever seen, Justin Bolsen, a freshman at Brown. His voice is so deep. He reminds me of Seth Cohen, though (Seth's voice was not deep).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241May 25, 2023 12:47 AM

Is James holding back?

by Anonymousreply 242May 25, 2023 12:55 AM

James didn't beat Mattea by much. Ken Jennings said that those three will be back next year at Masters.

by Anonymousreply 243May 25, 2023 1:03 AM

I know they're young but was surprised that none of them knew The Warren Commission Report.

by Anonymousreply 244May 25, 2023 1:08 AM

R244, Their ages are no excuse. It was an historical document dealing with the assassination of a President.

And the year 1964 should have made it obvious.

by Anonymousreply 245May 25, 2023 1:40 AM

I also thought for awhile that maybe James was throwing the game to Mattea.

by Anonymousreply 246May 25, 2023 2:31 AM

Re: Justin from the 2023 High School Reunion Tournament quarterfinal game 4,

[quote]I think Justin is really cute, though I do agree about his hair. He didn't start out very well in the game, but then he hit his stride. Glad he won. [bold]Also, I think he may be family :-)[bold]

He only got one football question, and anyone who knew OK is the sooner state would have gotten it. No football knowledge required.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247May 25, 2023 3:23 AM

[/bold]End bold.

by Anonymousreply 248May 25, 2023 3:24 AM

Now that James is a “Master,” I don’t see the need for him to return next year just to win again. Once you’re in the Jeopardy Masters Hall of Fame it seems unnecessary to compete again.

by Anonymousreply 249May 25, 2023 4:34 AM

James was the only one who had a chance at Warren Commission as it was a Daily Double. As soon as I saw Latin in Literature I was sure I would be stumped, and I was. If they've invited these three back next year, the amount of money they can potentially keep earning annually for three weeks work is kind of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 250May 25, 2023 4:41 AM

James feels the need to mention his wife several times. Such a weird person with an annoying personality.

Justin Bollen is sexy as fuck. I would love to hop into bed with him, floppy hair and all. His voice is yummy.

by Anonymousreply 251May 25, 2023 11:37 AM

Having just read a T.H. White bio, I knew the Malory answer. Surprised that James used White as his response, given that the answer included 15th c.

by Anonymousreply 252May 25, 2023 6:46 PM

I have a feeling I'd like James IRL, but he's assumed this asshole persona as The Villain and it seems like it's consumed him.

by Anonymousreply 253May 25, 2023 6:47 PM

Matteo came this close to winning

by Anonymousreply 254May 25, 2023 7:00 PM

Another great game. Have enjoyed this tournament so much. Sorry to see it go.

Not surprised that James won. In fact, I think he deserves the first Masters title -- he's far and above the others in the Tournament. But Mattea could have won if she had bet differently.

In the second game, James seemed to be holding back, deliberately letting Mattea get points so they would have a real competition. And she did very well in that second game.

Very nice what James said about Mattea's dad being so proud of her as he went over to congratulate her.

by Anonymousreply 255May 25, 2023 11:48 PM

James and Matt acted like protective big brothers towards Mattea. Matt looked especially concerned for Mattea when she was talking about her father's sudden death.

by Anonymousreply 256May 26, 2023 12:43 AM

I've always thought Matt is a good egg.

by Anonymousreply 257May 26, 2023 1:49 AM

R257, He’s the best.

by Anonymousreply 258May 26, 2023 2:26 AM

Agreed R257. I’ve always liked Matt.

by Anonymousreply 259May 26, 2023 2:28 AM

Matt seems to have his head on. his shoulders regarding the game, unlike some others who have put their egos on the line. and are fierce, humorless competitors. I suspect Matt has an easygoing, fulfilling life off-camera. Wonder what his gf is like.

by Anonymousreply 260May 26, 2023 12:36 PM

Amy is now a “writer.” Is that the go-to profession when you don’t have to work anymore.

by Anonymousreply 261June 4, 2023 3:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!