Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What makes someone “handsome” or “pretty”?

This guy is objectively handsome. Nearly all of the world would agree on that.

But if his eyes were 1 inch closer together, he could look like a freak.

It is what makes Bruce and Demi hot, but Rumer ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2023 6:04 PM

Oh Christ.

Not this shit again!!!!

OP, your self confidence MUST NOT HINGE ON YOUR LOOKS.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2023 8:54 PM

Lol r1. You are seen!

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2023 8:55 PM

Am I pretty?

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2023 8:58 PM

Basically, symmetry is what our eyes like to see. But little flaws can also make a guy super sexy. There is a lid for every pot. Do the best you can with your looks, and be a good conversationalist. Also, most people look better in person.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2023 9:01 PM

OP, I was quite beautiful at one time. No more, and that’s fine by me. I do NOT, nor have I ever expected, to be a 8, or a 9, into my elder years.

Also?

Being beautiful isn’t everything it’s cracked up to be. The party ends one day, as it should. Let the youngsters get their day in the sun now, ya know?

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2023 9:13 PM

Isn't there something called the "Golden Ratio)? Which is the triangle or distance from the corners of the eyes and then the nose. I'm sure how to explain it, but it's something like that. Jared Leto's eyes are too close together, but I think he's still attractive. It's hard to explain what makes people attractive, but it's a very good question.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2023 9:17 PM

Looks are only half of it. Wit, charm and intelligence go a long way in making a man attractive. A lot of money doesn't hurt either 😉

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2023 9:42 PM

9+ inches

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2023 9:52 PM

Apparently when they look like their suitor because so many couples look alike.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2023 10:39 PM

It's takes a very good photographer and flattering lighting.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2023 12:30 AM

Like Barbara Streisand. She's not conventionally beautiful, but I think she's attractive.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote] Like Barbara Streisand. She's not conventionally beautiful, but I think she's attractive.

Because...

[quote] It's takes a very good photographer and flattering lighting.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2023 3:20 AM

If his eyes were 1 inch closer, he'd be a Cyclops!

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2023 11:16 AM

OP didn't say "attractive," R7

I find Henry Cavill objectively handsome, but I don't find him attractive.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2023 11:20 AM

Ian Somerhalder was a good combo of handsome and pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2023 11:25 AM

^ He's scary good-looking 😍

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2023 3:27 PM

Handsome & pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2023 5:16 PM

R17 Link issues

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2023 5:31 PM

I’m the eyes-too-close-are-a-big-red-flag troll, and my casual observation is that eyes-too-close-togethers tend to mercilessly beat or kill their girlfriends’ offspring and sometimes their own.

It’s plausible that from an evolutionary standpoint that the human brain has its own ‘biometric scanner’ that determines whether a person is reproduction material.

Obviously, some people have broken scanners and let these guys babysit anyway. You can look through the Most Wanteds or Arrests and see the correlation— they’re usually wanted/arrested for assault/bodily injury, etc.

Other red flags are really obvious and the result of poor life choices such as face/neck tats, necks larger than heads, etc. you don’t need to pelt them with rocks, just don’t let them watch your kids, pets or elderlies.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2023 6:06 PM

^ This guy must really freak you out 😳

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2023 6:17 PM

OP, have you not picked a nose and/or new face yet?

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2023 6:30 PM

R19 What does it mean to you when someone's eyes are too far apart? What traits go with that?

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2023 11:51 PM

The lefty podcaster/Youtuber David Pakman's eyes are close together and I am so attracted to him, it is bizarre. I think he is Jewish guy sex on a stick, even though he's totally impressed by ridiculous manqués like Bernie and AOC.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2023 2:32 AM

facial symmetry

it is in the animal kingdom too: peacocks whose spots are symmetrical on both sides do better than ones whose aren't

by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2023 4:16 AM

Everything that human beings find attractive or physically beautiful comes down to balance, proportion, symmetry - whether it’s food, music, design, looks. The human brain likes balance and things in the right proportion. That’s why babies respond to harmonies they way they do. It’s why we like certain foods over others.

So yes physical beauty is very scientific and we respond to certain traits for evolutionary reasons. In my personal opinion David Gandy is (was) the most beautiful, pretty, handsome man I’ve ever seen.

Now physical beauty a lot of times, can be the opposite of what we find hot or sexy. We can be drawn to it while at the same time NOT be turned on by it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2023 5:26 AM

I don’t think he’s handsome. I can’t pinpoint what it is but his face is not at all attractive to me.

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2023 5:34 AM

@r25, "Now physical beauty a lot of times, can be the opposite of what we find hot or sexy. We can be drawn to it while at the same time NOT be turned on by it. "

Well said, guys that turn me on aren't always the prettiest ones. Sexy and pretty aren't always the same

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2023 5:35 AM

You are in the minority r26

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2023 5:35 AM

Man makeup makes a man handsome. Some concealer, foundation, manscara, and a setting powder. A little goes a long way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2023 6:03 AM

Dead eyes troll

Womanly ass troll

Yellow skin troll

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2023 7:05 AM

@r29, Does Pete Davidson know about that make up?

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2023 8:11 AM

R29 He's got real pretty eyes to start with, the makeup just emphasises his natural beauty

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2023 8:22 AM

Good grooming does it for me. When I’m with a guy and he has clean teeth, clean and groomed hands and feet. Everything else is a man’s ruggedness.

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2023 10:16 AM

What makes a troll attractive?

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2023 12:34 PM

^ A lot of money

by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2023 12:39 PM

That man OP posted is neither handsome or pretty. He’s actually quite average, and his looks are made worse by the fact he’s paid money to try and look better (you can tell he fucked around with fillers and got a nose job).

Anyway, back to the question at hand:

Pretty is Cillian Murphy or a young Leonardo DiCaprio. Handsome is Denzel Washington or George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2023 12:42 PM

[quote]But if his eyes were 1 inch closer together, he could look like a freak.

I'm all for Down syndrome people sharing their opinions and joining in the DL discourse, but posting a thread noting that a cyclops is not pretty and asking why is a topic best left to the short bus.

by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2023 1:37 PM

White people's idea of pretty or handsome. Look like a Disney prince or princess. Drilled into gay men's brains when they are very young through images on movies and TV.

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2023 1:52 PM

r38 I think the Disney prince thing is specific to gay men of a certain age (an old age lol). But I can't blame the eldergays, that's all they had to get them off back in the covered wagon days!

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2023 2:01 PM

r39, we also had the men's underwear section in the Sears Catalogue. Which also speaks to r38's point - the models were all white and WASPy.

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2023 6:02 PM

Enough to make schoolchildren drool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 9, 2023 5:58 PM

These Irish lasses of the same time period offer their opinions of what comprises an attractive man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2023 6:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!