Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In honor of Tyrone Power’s birthday, here’s him and Cesar “Butch” Romero…

Gearing up for an 8 week couple’s vacation. If the plane’s a rockin’…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 12, 2023 11:18 PM

I do not get Tyrone Power. I don't find him attractive at all - maybe when he was just starting out, but not later. I assume Romero was along for the trip to provide cabin service.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2023 7:59 PM

Two gals *on the go*!

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2023 8:00 PM

I get him, R1. Classic matinee idol. Handsome af.

Side note: rewatched 'Nightmare Alley' recently; blows Bradley Cooper away.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2023 8:12 PM

You were saying, R1?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2023 8:13 PM

I used to watch old movies with my grandmother. She had a B&W TV in her kitchen and I'd help her cook and bake. Whenever Tyrone Power was in a flick, she'd say, "Oh Tyrone Power, such a pretty man! SUCH a pretty man." A humble woman but a seamstress for New York designers so she knew what she was saying.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2023 8:23 PM

He was gor-JUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2023 8:29 PM

I don't get R1. I look at Tyrone in OP's pic and think, "wow, that is the handsomest, sexiest man ever!"

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2023 8:37 PM

R1 might the first person to say this about Tyrone Power. I’ve heard people call him TOO beautiful, but never unattractive! And yes, when given the chance (like Nightmare Alley), he was a very fine actor. He was shoved into stupid romantic comedies (not even witty screwballs) and action films because of his looks, but he had real dramatic talent and a number of acclaimed stage outings before and after Hollywood. Had he not died young, I think he would moved mostly to stage work with the occasional dramatic role.

Both of them were such tall, sexy and great looking men. Imagine the hours upon hours of flip fucking….

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2023 8:42 PM

I'm with R1 to a degree. I mean he's handsome but to me, he's not knock-down gorgeous. That said, I remember reading that many of his contemporaries said he was absolutely knock-down gorgeous but it often didn't come across on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2023 8:42 PM

Gorgeous but didn't age well. Looked 50 when he was 40.

Romero was also hot and DID age well

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2023 8:44 PM

I forget how handsome Romero was in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2023 8:45 PM

Tyrone's nose wasn't that great but imperfections add to the total effect.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2023 9:09 PM

Who's the top?

I assume Romero.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2023 9:13 PM

R13 Romero

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2023 9:37 PM

That smile!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2023 9:41 PM

I love Tyrone Power's voice. Of course, I think his face was beautiful and he had a tremendous sense of style but listening to him seals the deal for me. Sadly, I feel men are not so well spoken today.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2023 9:55 PM

I just realized I’ve never seen a Tyrone Power film, I don’t think. I need to rectify that—what would be the best choice for my first?

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2023 10:22 PM

Was Tyrone really 5ft 11? I don't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2023 10:30 PM

The Razor's Edge!

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2023 10:39 PM

Such smooth skies 🌌 yet such a bumpy ride

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2023 10:44 PM

Cesar Romero one of the sexiest men in history. Thanks for the post that is a great picture of him.

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2023 10:45 PM

Messed that up.....but I like SON OF FURY even better......he and the ravishingly beautiful Frances Farmer.

I like in the fight scene with George Sanders = when George throws Ty on the bed his first reaction is to throw his legs wide open and up into the air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2023 10:47 PM

The Razor's Edge (1946) is one of my favorite films. Every time I catch it while channel surfing, I have to stop and watch. And I have my own copy too.

It has a wonderful cast, 2 of whom won Oscars: Clifton Webb and Anne Baxter. Film nominated for Best Picture.

Tyrone is the older, post WWII Power, which fits the story.

If you haven't seen it, you should. Great performances all around with other cast members Gene Tierney, Herbert Marshall, John Payne, and Elsa Lancaster.

Here's the poster:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2023 11:06 PM

Planes back then were scary looking.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2023 11:14 PM

My grandmother LOVED Tyrone Power. That’s mostly why I know about him.

Also agree with R3, he’s so much better than Bradley Cooper in Nightmare Alley, his performance has such cumulative power, the final scene comes together so well and is deeply moving.

Cooper overplays it to the point where you wish del Toro would just yell “Cut!”

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2023 11:21 PM

I can't believe Anne Baxter has an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2023 11:54 PM

r14 Desi, we're talking about Cesar, not Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2023 12:01 AM

[quote]here’s him and Cesar “Butch” Romero

Oh, dear.

A second "oh, dear" for taking 28 replies.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2023 12:05 AM

My mom remembers sitting through "The Black Swan" (1942) several times as a little girl, because her mom was so in love with Tyrone P.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2023 12:17 AM

You'd have a hard time pulling me away from Tyrone. Look at those eyebrows, there must be a huge bush downstairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2023 12:25 AM

Power attended Purcell High School in Cincinnati, my own alma mater. He died a few years before I was born. I imagined him in the locker room, dick swinging, balls hanging, fluffing his bush with a towel after a shower...

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2023 12:37 AM

Cesar Romero was a very handsome man, and he aged well too. He was reportedly very nice and pleasant too. And he sucked half the dicks in Hollywood.

Here he is with Joan, his #1 hag. They were good friends for decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2023 12:46 AM

Christina Crawford called Cesar Romero "Uncle Butch." I love that.

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2023 12:47 AM

I wonder if Cesar was horse hung.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2023 12:53 AM

Judy&Tyrone&Kay&Janet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2023 12:58 AM

R31 - I took a look at the old Purcell yearbooks and found Tyrone's picture. I've never seen this one before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2023 12:59 AM

r17 Don't laugh, but I'll nominate "The Luck of the Irish" as a good film of his to watch. Witty, somewhat urbane, dramatic when it has to be and sweet and soulful at the heart of it. It does have Anne Baxter in it, an actress not treated too kindly around here.

Once again, don't laugh, but you'll envy Jayne Meadows(Mrs. Steve Allen) she had several good scenes(please don't throw things) with Power and got to kiss him a couple of times. She's very good in that role, and I don't know why she never continued her career. Did she meet Allen and give up everything?

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2023 1:33 AM

I'm surprised that Jayne was the older sister, r37. I'd always assumed Audrey was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 6, 2023 1:37 AM

Tyrone was bi?

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2023 1:38 AM

Both handsome men. I did think " they flew around South America in that tin can"? I wonder if they were doing any reconnaissance ( I know, Mary! ), but I do wonder that. Other stars did that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 40May 6, 2023 1:48 AM

Fresh off the plane in big bad 80's El Lay. Hitting the bars of WeHo . Around 2am cruising down Melrose in my buddies convertible packed with boys. High as kites. Big white Eldorado pulls up in the right lane. The license plate reads"JOKER" Smart ass punk me; 'Who's that Cesar Romero?.. Caddy pulls up beside us . Window slides down. 'High ya fellas" says a leering Cesar Romero.

by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2023 1:54 AM

Didn’t Cesar and Desi do the nasty?

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2023 2:01 AM

Cesar *did* the nasty, Desi *had* the nasty.

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2023 2:10 AM

Hollywood Forever Cemetery screening of some film I've forgotten on side of mausoleum (Tomb O Rama). Generator dies halfway thru. While they try to fix it , I fire up a joint and wander among the ghosts . Magnificent full moon turns the lake and marble into silver. Find myself stretched out on Ty Powers memorial grave bench. Stargazing. Drifting away .Score from Captain From Castile playing in my head. Felt I should poop in Ty's honor but his spirit didn't move me. Suddenly heard a noise ,sat bolt upright. Heard a gasp and a loud "Dios Mio!". Looked into the face of a terrified groundskeeper bringing the gas for the generator to re-start the film. He saw me rise from Ty's slab. When I told George who worked with Power at 20th he snarked "Well you wouldn't be the first boy to lie on top of Ty."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2023 2:19 AM

Wow, R41! How cool!

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2023 2:24 AM

His youngest son was born after his death. Incredibly handsome like his father. I went to college with him, but I never managed to see him in the locker room. He sure provided a few fantasies though!

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2023 2:27 AM

Lol, R44! Did you see Chris Cornells grave?

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2023 2:27 AM

I don't think Cesar even hit the height of his beauty until the 1950s when his hair and sexy mustache started turning silver, which I think gave him a much warmer demeanor. My idea of the perfect daddy when I was a young gayling!

Tyrone who....?

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2023 2:29 AM

Check out Ty and young Henry Fonda in JESSE JAMES in glorious Technicolor. Hot as Ty is, Hank gives him a run for his money.

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2023 2:30 AM

So I guess that tin can airplane didn’t crash? Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2023 2:34 AM

Witness for the Prosecution

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2023 2:35 AM

All us gay boys knew Cesar was an old queen. He would cruise the alley behind Circus of Books in his white Caddy.The hustlers would swarm his car and he'd drive off with half a dozen boys. He and Van Johnson use to share a booth at the Golden Bull and pick up all the hustlers off Ginger Rogers beach. Looking back I thought them comical but now I'm their age I realize they were classy lovely gents. Glad to have met em.

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2023 2:39 AM

Yeah, really, R50. Watching that plane take off at the end of the video, I though maybe Aaliyah was on it.

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2023 3:14 AM

Was Butch a top or bottom?

Do you think he did the nasty on the set of Batman? How did he keep his hands off of young Burt Ward?

by Anonymousreply 54May 6, 2023 3:15 AM

OMG the young Burt Ward must've driven horny old Cesar wild with desire!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2023 3:22 AM

R23 Webb was nominated but did not win the Oscar for The Razor's Edge.

by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2023 3:24 PM

"Nightmare Alley" and "Witness for the Prosecution" are not only my two favorite Tyrone Power movies they're two of my favorite movies overall.

by Anonymousreply 57May 7, 2023 12:50 AM

R52, did you fuck around with Cesar?

Did he top? Bottom? Give us the details!

by Anonymousreply 58May 7, 2023 1:30 AM

r58 You don't want to know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 7, 2023 3:08 AM

R46, are you referring to Tyrone JR? Was he born in late 50’s?

by Anonymousreply 60May 7, 2023 4:08 AM

His son was childhood friends with Dominique Dunne

by Anonymousreply 61May 7, 2023 4:10 AM

Here's another scene with Tyrone and Frances Farmer in Son of Fury. Pity she fucked up her career because she was on the comeback trail with this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 7, 2023 5:01 AM

Died at 44 of heart attack

by Anonymousreply 63May 7, 2023 5:05 AM

When Frances was locked away in the asylum Tyrone was the only one of her Hollywood co-stars to go see her.

by Anonymousreply 64May 7, 2023 5:06 AM

Who is that woman that kisses Ty goodbye? I guess his wife Annabella. I had the idea he was dating Lana Turner but maybe that was later after he divorced Annabella in 1948.

by Anonymousreply 65May 7, 2023 6:08 AM

Yes, R60. He was a senior when I was a freshman. He looks even more like his dad now than he did back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 7, 2023 6:18 AM

Tyrone Power was a very heavy drinker and chain smoker. In his twenties he was the most beautiful actor in Hollywood. By his forties he looked like hell. When he died at age 44 of a massive heart attack he looked like he was well into his sixties.

by Anonymousreply 67May 7, 2023 12:10 PM

Thanks R62 I had been looking for that scene when I found the other one.

by Anonymousreply 68May 7, 2023 3:02 PM

Frances is in another scene where she wears an eye mask for a masquerade party but still looks gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 69May 8, 2023 4:23 AM

I wonder if Ty would have been exclusively gay had he lived today.

by Anonymousreply 70May 8, 2023 6:42 AM

Ty was a water sports kind of guy. He loved being in the Marine Corp during WWII....and the Reserve for the rest of his life.

He was a 1st Lt. during the war and a Major in the Reserves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 8, 2023 12:57 PM

Does the datalounge think that Cesar Romero sucked Tyrone Power to completion ( sucked him till Tyrone had an orgasm and ejaculated all of his semen into Cesar's mouth which Cesar promptly swallowed.

by Anonymousreply 72May 8, 2023 1:21 PM

Yes, r72, that's exactly what we all believe happened. Every night.

by Anonymousreply 73May 8, 2023 1:23 PM

R73-Cool

by Anonymousreply 74May 8, 2023 1:40 PM

Cesar Romero would pay rent boys to throw orange slices at his bare ass.

by Anonymousreply 75May 8, 2023 2:06 PM

Tyrone’s Wikipedia page mentions nothing about his bisexuality. Probably because it was written by a frau on one of those Old Hollywood websites. A few years ago it was filled with references to his sex life.

by Anonymousreply 76May 8, 2023 2:07 PM

Wikipedia frowns on gossipy bios

by Anonymousreply 77May 8, 2023 2:28 PM

Tyrone Power Jr, his son who has been mentioned several times, was in one of my favorite movies “Shag”.

What a nepobaby fest that was! Along with TPJ it had the well-connected Bridget Fonda, Paige Hannah, Phoebe Cates and Carrie Hamilton. It also had one of the most attractive men of that generation, and admitted bisexual, Robert Rusler.

by Anonymousreply 78May 8, 2023 2:31 PM

[quote]I wonder if Ty would have been exclusively gay had he lived today.

If he were around today he would probably be like Pedro Pascal, Bradley Cooper, Chris Pine, etc. Not exactly out, but everybody knows anyway.

by Anonymousreply 79May 8, 2023 3:41 PM

Robert Rusler was delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 8, 2023 3:44 PM

Thanks for the info, R56. You are correct.

by Anonymousreply 81May 8, 2023 3:51 PM

Frances seems a bit mannered in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 82May 8, 2023 4:36 PM

Susie Lee, who used to post here frequently about 10 years ago, often wrote about Tyrone Power and his family. She is (was?) the daughter of character actor Kurt Kasznar and (if still alive) would be in her mid 70s now, I believe, and was very close with some of the same aged Power kids.

IIRC she never denied Power might have been bisexual because she felt he was just an enormously sexual person, a huge flirt who everyone was entranced by and just very sociable with.....everyone. I loved her posts, which were often just her impressions of Hollywood and Broadway people she met as a kid, and admittedly often didn't know well, through her father and step-mother actress Leora Dana.

Does anyone here still remember her and any specifics about Ty?

by Anonymousreply 83May 8, 2023 5:42 PM

After all the pain there is love.

by Anonymousreply 84May 8, 2023 5:43 PM

He inherited his father’s bad heart.

by Anonymousreply 85May 9, 2023 12:57 AM

Hasn't Susie Lee's parentage been questioned? Kasznar's Wiki says he left no known survivors.

by Anonymousreply 86May 9, 2023 2:39 AM

Susie Lee seemed like a fabulist. I was surprised DL took her so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 87May 9, 2023 2:46 AM

I loved Susie Lee!

by Anonymousreply 88May 9, 2023 3:20 AM

Susie Lees opinion of Ty was also stated by Diana Barrymore. Basically he was such a kind and generous person, and people of both sexes were always after him sexually, that he slept with an enormous number of people as an expression of his generous personality. But who really had his heart? It is harder to know.

by Anonymousreply 89May 9, 2023 5:56 AM

I’ve never heard (or read) anyone say a bad word about Ty. He really was one of the most loved people in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 90May 9, 2023 5:58 AM

Ty and Diana Barrymore's fat brother Robin were lovers when young Ty was in NYC before going west to be in the movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 12, 2023 2:55 PM

According to that link, Robin was the cousin of the doomed Marjorie Oelrichs (Mrs Eddy Duchin)

by Anonymousreply 92May 12, 2023 4:01 PM

Why’d he kill himself? So young.

by Anonymousreply 93May 12, 2023 11:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!