Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wes Bentley says he was $400K in debt amid drug addiction: 'I had no clothes, I had no money'

Yellowstone's Wes Bentley opened up about almost losing it all in a "fire" of addiction to drugs years ago. The 44-year-old actor, whose breakout role came in 1999's American Beauty, got candid about his past to Men's Health and revealed how close friend Heath Ledger urged him to get sober.

"I lost everything in the fire. I had no car, I had no clothes, I had no money — I was $400,000 in debt," Bentley recalled.

After moving to Hollywood, The Hunger Games star started taking mushrooms and ketamine, and while he recognized that can now be a mental health tool for some, it wasn't for him. The psychedelics just led to more drugs.

"I ended up going down the cocaine and heroin route," he explained. "Hard drugs. Hard partying. You're in clubs and you're at after-parties, and there's cocaine, and eventually it became heroin."

Bentley said he wasn't "trying to kill myself or anything," but had competitive energy when it came to doing drugs.

"That period was incredibly dark. I did really dangerous stuff. I went downtown. I went and hung with really shady people," he shared. "That was just me: Go far. Be the guy who went the furthest."

Before addiction temporarily sidelined his career, Bentley did the 2002 film The Four Feathers with Ledger. The two were close up until the Oscar winner's shocking death in 2008. Ledger accidentally died from a prescription overdose.

Bentley skipped Ledger's memorial service because he was high. "I tried to go, but I was really messed up, and I felt like that wasn't right. So I got out of the cab on the way to it. And that sits with me forever," he admitted. "That guy loved me. Outside of my family, I've never felt love from . . ."

"I'd never felt love," he continued, "from someone like him. And he didn't care what I was, or what I was like, the stupid things I was doing. He just wanted me to be better. I always thought of him as a brother, and I wish I could've given that back."

Bentley began sobbing during the interview and recalled how Ledger "even begged me to get sober in an email."

"Last email, he was beggin' me. I didn't, at first, but later, getting sober, I'd think of that email all the time. One from him and one from my dad, begging me to get sober," he shared.

After spending nearly a decade in the throes of addiction, Bentley is now sober and married with two children. He's been clean for more than 10 years and stars as Jamie Dutton on the mega hit, Yellowstone. The actor still thinks of Ledger and said he's OK talking, and crying, about his "brother."

"I'm an actor. I'm not afraid to feel things. And it doesn't make me feel worse. It makes me feel better. Because I know I love him and I did love him, but what I’ll take from that relationship is: You've gotta show people now that you love them every day," he said. "Even when you're mad at 'em, even when they're wrong to you... tell 'em you love them, because it means more than you know, to you and to them. And I didn't do that well enough with him."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2023 7:37 PM

Did Kevin Spacey fuck him

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2023 1:49 AM

It's a happy ending story that he was able to shake off his demons and get clean and rebound with a good life.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2023 1:52 AM

R2 He still has many more years to fuck up again.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2023 1:55 AM

That's the spirit, man.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2023 1:57 AM

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as “Joker”.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2023 1:58 AM

Imagine how slutty he would have been on all those drugs...

Yum.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2023 2:28 AM

[quote] Imagine how slutty he would have been on all those drugs...

I wonder if he and Heath ever messed around?

Especially when they were both high.

I get the impression that both of these guys might have been open to experimenting. Especially if they trusted each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2023 3:01 AM

I didn't realize that Heath and Wes were such good friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2023 3:17 AM

The trouble with addiction is you have to fight it every day for the rest of your life to remain sober.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2023 3:28 AM

When Wes was getting HIGH and was broke. Was he sucking cock& getting Fucked hard sellingInquiring ind his body to men. Chasing the next High by blacking out in strange men beds,waking up all sticky,with a bad taste in his mouth with pubes. Are there photos& videos.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2023 3:44 AM

Well whatever the case, Wes has made a stellar recovery.

His first big comeback was on The Hunger Games, then AHS Freak Show, then AHS Hotel, and followed up with his star billing on Yellowstone.

The guy is super hot right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2023 3:51 AM

R10, punctuation, spacing and proper capitalization should be your friends not impediments.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2023 4:55 AM

Good morning OP how are you & your multiple personalities doing today on this glorious Friday!

My personalities are getting along today, they all say "Hello".

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2023 2:38 PM

Has Wes ever admitted to being bi?

He was very cute in his 20's.

I was also surprised to find out that he's from Arkansas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2023 3:37 PM

I will add something I read about them years ago. Wes Bentley was supposed to do Monster's Ball. He fell apart just as they were ready to begin filming and they had to find a replacement quickly. Bentley urged them to get Ledger. When Diana Osana and Larry mcMurtry saw Heath Ledger in Monster's Ball they knew they'd found their Ennis Del Mar for Brokeback Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2023 3:49 PM

Fur Feathers was good. Heath Ledger was really hot back then.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2023 3:50 PM

Four Feathers. Four, not"Fur" That was the animated version....

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2023 3:50 PM

It should have been Wes and Heath in Brokeback Mountain.

Wes can actually act.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2023 3:52 PM

OMG R18 that would have been perfect casting.

Wes looks a lot like Jake Gyllenhaal, but he's a much better actor, as you said.

But with Heath and Wes being such good friends, I wonder if the pairing would have hit a little bit too close to home?

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2023 3:59 PM

Wes Bentley.

Wes NASTY.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2023 4:20 PM

R16/R17 is a furry!

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2023 4:26 PM

Wes is MUCH better looking than Gyllenhaal. My opinion.d

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2023 4:56 PM

I used to get Wes Bentley and Billy Crudup confused.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2023 4:58 PM

[quote]I had no clothes

Pics please!

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2023 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!