Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How has your year been so far?

What's the best and worst thing that's happened to you?

My year has been bad so far. Lost the majority of my life savings gambling. Aged rapidly and seemingly overnight. My dog died. I lost my wallet and all my cards. Tripped over a wire and broke my wrist. Hate my new job and can't see myself sticking with it. Depression and gambling relapse. Getting harassed by local teens.

Can't think of a single good moment.

What about you?

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2024 2:11 PM

Fine, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2023 1:37 AM

You forgot about your dental problems and your cat missing.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2023 1:40 AM

Are you Tom Conti, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2023 1:41 AM

What I’m telling people is that my nose is just below water level, but I can get above it often enough to breathe. One parent died, the other now has early dementia. My dog can barely see or hear, but is hanging in. A leader in my former company who I was close to was just diagnosed with a terminal illness and has a few months before dying at 60 rich and successful and beloved. I owed five digits worth of taxes. My current company is the result of M&A, and all my coworkers left after convincing me to see it through and turn down other offers.

Try to keep your nose above water. Just often enough.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2023 1:44 AM

Op = jinx

Beware

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2023 1:44 AM

Jeeze OP. That's a lot of bad luck. Hope things get better for you. How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2023 1:46 AM

R6 It makes up stupid stuff all the time -

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2023 1:48 AM

r6 mid 40s

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2023 1:48 AM

It's the retarded guy

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2023 1:50 AM

OP, are you the one who flipped the bird at the harassing teens?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2023 1:52 AM

I like to flounce around naked in my vegetable garden

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2023 2:01 AM

R10 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2023 2:04 AM

I'm not sure that you're 100% well OP/R12. You need some help. Are you planning on getting help?

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2023 2:06 AM

Dealt with depression at the beginning of the year. Just got back from NOLA and now listening to Dixieland Jazz so am in a happy place at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2023 2:23 AM

R13 Those teenagers aren't hallucinations, if that's what you're suggesting.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2023 2:25 AM

My mother died. Then I cleaned out her house. It was a mountain of work. Unemployment continues. My car battery died.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2023 2:26 AM

I didn't say that R15. You are obviously experiencing some serious personal issues (gambling addiction, depression etc.) That's what I meant. You need help and support. Get it.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2023 2:27 AM

We lost everything we owned in August of last year. We were babysitting our Grandkids, who are all 3yrs and under. A landslide destroyed our house our car, everything we owned. Thank God my son was at work because his room was buried. I was getting our grandson ( 10 months old) in our room. Our granddaughters ( who are twins 3yrs old), fell asleep on the couch and I was going to move them into my son's room. Thank God I listened to my husband ( which I hardly ever do) when he said just leave them here they're sleeping. About 5 minutes later I heard loud booms and the ground shaking. A giant tree came through the wall and ruble and large rocks ,too. I couldn't find my grandson, but I could hear him screaming. I just remember screaming for him and then screaming to my husband that I couldn't find Jack. I found him under the nightstand, which could have crushed him, but something kept it over him and not on him. I crawled out of the room with him, because the door was crooked. The house was knocked off of the foundation. I don't know why but I thought it was just our bedroom. When I crawled out, I saw the entire house was destroyed and one of our granddaughters was sitting up looking around and the other was still sleeping. By then the Neighbors came and we handed the kids off. When we came out, I saw that the car was upside down, and more trees and rocks came down again. The kids were not hurt, thank God, my husband wasn't either. I had a concussion and needed 17 staples on the side of my head. My ankle was sprained and my shoulder, too. Whenever I go to the store or the gas station, I pass that house and think, everything was in there, photos, home movies, keepsakes, all of my sons scripts and journals. Everything. I'm very grateful we escaped and the kids and my husband weren't hurt and thank God my son wasn't home. It killed our pets. I'm having a hard time moving forward and feel tormented. So that was the bad thing, the good thing is we're all alive. I have very long nights, horrible dreams. The other day about 20 four wheelers passed the apt we're living in and I thought it was another landslide. I guess I need counseling, but I'm leary of that. I've been self medicating but I cry a lot. I love DL, and appreciate everybody. I'm just so tired of thinking about it and seeing that house. People looted it. Some guy was walking down the street with out family picture and a picture I had painted. I need help, but I'm sure how to go about it. Sorry for the long answer.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2023 2:29 AM

A helluva lot better than last year.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2023 2:45 AM

Good lord, r18. You might want to find a therapist who does EMDR, I think it might help you immensely. I wish you well

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2023 3:20 AM

Thank you R20. What is EMDR?

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2023 3:22 AM

"Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapy—or talk therapy—for PTSD. EMDR can help you process upsetting memories, thoughts, and feelings related to the trauma. By processing these experiences, you can get relief from PTSD symptoms."

It's highly effective for addressing the kind of trauma that you've suffered, and surprisingly quick. It involves bilateral eye movements (or sequential bilateral tactile or audio stimulation. It sounds very strange at first, but it really works well. It's described more fully at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2023 3:45 AM

I'm studying Nuclear Science, I love my classes. Got a great teacher he wears dark glasses. Things are going great, and they're only getting better.

The future's so bright- I gotta wear shades.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2023 3:59 AM

Thank you so much R22. I'll read the link now.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2023 4:02 AM

OP, are you the one who posted about the gypsy neighborhood kids pointing and laughing at you?

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2023 4:07 AM

Some sad stories. I hope everyone's year improves, including mine.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2023 4:11 AM

Lol, no R25. We aren't Gypsies, Tramps, or Thieves! No that wasn't me,😄

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2023 4:16 AM

I hope yours does, too R26.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2023 4:17 AM

Sometimes when I feel like killing someone, I do a little trick to calm myself down. I’ll go over to the person’s house and ring the doorbell. When the person comes to the door, I’m gone, but you know what I’ve left on the porch? A jack-o-lantern with a knife stuck in the side of its head with a note that says “YOU.”

After that I usually feel a lot better, and no harm done.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2023 3:07 AM

Great

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2023 10:12 PM

Wow R18 that is a definitive cause of PTSD if I've every heard of one, you need therapy to deal with that- not based on your post, you sound like you are in the best place you can be- but because ANYONE would need therapy to process that.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2023 12:52 AM

I think that's it R31, I can't stop thinking about it. I wasn't sure if would be PTSD, and I've been afraid to read about it. For the first time since that happened, my broke down today, and it scared me more because I've never seen him break down. Thank you for your answer. On Monday I'll call our Dr and get a referral to somebody that can help us.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2023 1:04 AM

I made the mistake a few weeks ago saying that I was happy and felt safe. I got a letter from my landlord yesterday that because of doing major repairs on the building that they're not renewing leases and I have to move in 2 months. I have a large dog, don't make much money and live in a town with under 1 percent availability of apartments. so, not doing so great. should have never tempted the universe like that.

Studios are going for $1500 to $1800 right now.

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2023 1:10 AM

Oh God Rescue Chick, I'm sorry. I'll be sending out good thoughts to you and prayers, too. I really will.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2023 1:16 AM

thanks r34. I have an incredible support system where I work so I can at least take mental time off and time to check out apartments. They're going to make some calls too. I cried so hard I puked yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2023 1:19 AM

I'm really sorry, honey. I can understand crying like that. Cry if you need to whenever you need to. Something will work out. Keep your stuff, you'll find something.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2023 1:23 AM

R29

Brilliant. One of my favorite SNL “skits”. The books make me cry with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2023 1:50 AM

You want to know? Why?

by Anonymousreply 38May 6, 2023 2:06 AM

I retired in March. My parents died last year, 9 months apart. It's so heartbreaking. They were wonderful. They accepted and supported me, when I came out in 1987. I miss them so....

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2023 2:41 AM

Thinking of you today, rescue-chick R35

And also of you, dear R39

by Anonymousreply 40May 6, 2023 6:38 AM

Yeesh, rescue-chick. That sucks. I know you know this already, but get your dog declared an ESA if it isn't already and maybe you'll have better luck finding an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2023 7:14 AM

I thought of that r41 but I hate hate hate people who do that. Although, when I was crying upstairs initially he dragged himself up the stairs to comfort me. he hasn't been able to make the stairs in weeks.

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2023 1:51 PM

Real shitty

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2023 4:11 PM

Rescue-chick, don't sweat it. Where I live some counties have a three domestic pet limit even if you own your home and people want to adopt a 4th cat all the time and I'll flat out tell them, I can't because you could have the county fine you and take your cats away from you and we can be fined because we approved an adoption knowing you were over the limit

I don't think 4 cats is unreasonable when neighboring counties allow up to 6!

I recommend they get one declared an ESA and then come back (paperwork in hand).

As long as people don't do it to abuse it, like bringing their Presa Canario into Target, I'm fine with it if it allows them to keep their pet and not have to relinquish them.

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2023 7:22 PM

One apartment viewing down. Place was super conveniently located and very very cute as well as being affordable for me. Teensy tiny, I would have to get rid of easily half my stuff including my sofa but my dog would not be able to reliably handle the stairs. Very steep and at least 20 of them. She has another place I will look at once the tenants are out, ground floor, yard and affordable but it's really difficult to figure out what the place looks like because man, they have a shitton of stuff. Which may be indicative of it being way too small. This is why I am such a good tenant, moving is one of my worst nightmares.

On the other hand, it's absolutely gorgeous outside today!

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2023 8:58 PM

OP lights up a room when she leaves it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2023 9:06 PM

Rough year- Offered a "promotion' at work that ended up being a 40K per year pay cut.

Higher Base Pay but a nearly non existent commission structure (i was heavily commission based before)

Its a life changing pay cut and my company is absolutely corrupt in how they treat and fool employees.

You had to accept the position and they did not reveal the pay until a few months later. I do not know how this is legal..

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2023 9:13 PM

Still homeless and my tooth decay/rot is getting much worse. I'll probably die from getting an abscess that I can't afford to treat. My major goal is to pay off my credit card debt, which is quite doable, and save enough money to apply for five or six apartments. I'll need a lump sum for the deposit, then $80-120 per application fee. Feeling pessimistic but not giving up. If things don't look up I could put my cat up for adoption (yes she is well cared for at the present time) and live in the car for a while to save money as I've been living in motels which costs anywhere from 2200-3400 a month depending on how the room prices fluctuate. I've yet to spend a day on the street but it's really hard to save money otherwise. I can afford the exorbitant rents in the area but my credit is obviously shot and the longer I'm homeless the more lies I'll have to tell about my living/renting history. Every day I pray for a French revolution. I'm so exhausted and tired and worn out and I don't have the time or energy really to be completely focused on absolutely maximizing my productivity, saving every penny, etc. I'm really really banking on the idea that other people like me will all band together to inflict tremendous violence against the upper class.

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2023 9:20 PM

r45, dammnit, rescue-chick, you're one of my faves here. Hate hearing that you have to go through this, but taking comfort in knowing that you are resourceful. Studios in Vermint going for $1500-$1800? That's absurd. Hope you find something more reasonable.

My year is going relatively well, at least that is what I tell myself. Have lost two friends and then a favorite cousin and just found out another old friend is now battling breast cancer. I think she'll be OK but can't stand that she has to go through this. I did not completely recover from spine surgery from last year and fear being fired from my job which will end my career, but that might be a good thing. This is the year in which old age slapped me in the face and I'm "only" in my 60's. My fiancee is retiring and moving in with me from 2,600 miles away this Summer. He's got health issues, too. If he dies on me, I will kill him! We think we have enough invested to avoid a trailer park lifestyle, but aren't sure. A honeymoon in Paris would be nice, but I just want to adopt a cat. If I get a cat this year, it will have been a very good year. A husband with a thick, obnoxious East Coast accent, a cat, a cane to walk with, and a doublewide. This is the stuff that the year 2023 dreams are made of...

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2023 10:30 PM

r49, me, you and your betrothed can do a modern golden girls!

by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2023 10:54 PM

[quote] it's really difficult to figure out what the place looks like because man, they have a shitton of stuff. Which may be indicative of it being way too small.

I don't think having a ton of stuff indicates that the place is too small. Some people just collect stuff and fill up their spaces to the gills - regardless of the size of their space. You might be pleasantly surprised, once their stuff gets cleared out.

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2023 11:10 PM

r51, agreed, I am definitely checking it out next weekend.

I actually am ready to have my heart broken. I am in love with a possibly perfect place a few blocks away from where I currently am. 2 bedrooms, accepts dogs, washer and dryer, wood floors, ground floor, yard. it's 1800 a month and owned by one of our local slumlords (75 percent of apartments in Burlington are owned by maybe 10 or 15 slumlords).

It would be out of my price range but I pay $60 every other week to the lady who does my laundry so having a w/d and cutting that expense puts it firmly in my price range. I filled out an application Friday and am calling them Monday morning. I will sign immediately and take a loan from my 401k. happy thoughts, my god would that be nice.

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2023 11:20 PM

Rescue Chick- I live over in the seacoast of NH. People have no idea how bad New England is in terms of rentals (much less the inaffordability of housing)

I feel you- and truly sympathize and wish you well...

My rent went up $500.00 a month recently. There are no homes in this shitty state, much less VT/MA/ME. MA is pretty challenging too.

And I always have a soft spot for Mainers/Vermonters- such beautiful states- but heavily taxed with very, very, very limited employment opportunities with a high cost of living -- Don't know how folks make it.

My income comes from Massachusetts.

Needless to say I am looking at North Carolina. I could even afford to buy a house there.

I cannot do this anymore..

So happy that you already have 2 prospects- that is impressive. If I recall you are in burlington area (I may be wrong))

It is impossible to find rentals these days.

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2023 11:21 PM

I am in in Burlington r53 and I totally commiserate with you. I think large swaths of the US can't quite imagine how horrid it is here for renting or even buying. It's really scary but I have to get on it asap because the state hotel program is ending soon and they're all going to be competing for apartments too.

by Anonymousreply 54May 6, 2023 11:29 PM

R48- You have no idea. I wish you well, mate.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2023 11:39 PM

Yeah, sorry to hear, rescue-chick. I, too, hate and dread moving. I hope you get the 2BR place you like. If not, you can do this. You'll find something nice. You sound like a good tenant.

by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2023 11:45 PM

I had a great trip to Jordan in February. Then in April I found out the guy I'd been seeing since November was having an affair-WITH ME! He's very much married to a nice big husbear and I was just his bit on the side. The sex was amazing but at 59 I'm too old for dramatics. Tomorrow morning I'm flying to Japan for another tour. Those souvenir fridge magnets aren't going to buy themselves. All in all, it's been a good year, so far.

by Anonymousreply 57May 6, 2023 11:54 PM

Ooh Japan — I’m green with envy, R57

Safe travels! ✈️

by Anonymousreply 58May 7, 2023 7:28 AM

Best thing. My neighbors in my very small condo building have had it with the HOA President and vice-president and decided they're giving them the boot and without informing me, they got together and decided I WILL be the next HOA president. Apparently it's a done deal. 11/13 have already agreed to it. I like that my neighbors like me

Worst thing: I'm gonna have to be the fucking HOA president for at least a year. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 59May 7, 2023 7:48 AM

Excellent. Winter was mild, got away to the beach for 3 weeks. Saw most of my family at an aunt's 80th birthday festivities. Spring came early. We have great family and friends and are happy and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 60May 7, 2023 10:34 AM

@r53, New Hampshire boasts some THIRTEEN MILES of coastline. So much to explore, lol.

Seriously, Portsmouth is one on the most scenic villages on the planet. Plus, tax-free booze and Menthol cigarettes. Triple win.

by Anonymousreply 61May 8, 2023 5:12 AM

This year has been great so far.

I got a new car after driving my old car for 12 years.

I bought the Apple Vision Pro and have finally started long overdue repairs to my little beach cottage.

I'm starting year 4 of having a net worth over $2.2 million after retiring in 2019.

I'm meeting with my CFP on Monday and will probably ask for $30K-$50K for the home renovations and discuss buying a pied-a-tere in Lisbon.

Anonymity is great for all this unhumble brag. Thanks for starting the thread, OP!

by Anonymousreply 62February 10, 2024 1:34 PM

Rescue Chick, I wish you could move to Southeastern Wisconsin. I would rent my upper duplex to you and your dog.

by Anonymousreply 63February 10, 2024 2:04 PM

Truly terrible.

It started in April last year when my company fucked me and a few other "Top Performing" Sales reps with a promotion that ended up being a 40K pay cut.

I am at the point where I will not even qualify income wise for apartments in my area.

Looking at relocating from the northeast to one of the Carolinas- probably North.

I have some savings and that is the only reason I have not killed myself.

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2024 2:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!