Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I rewatched Priscilla, Queen of the Desert last night

Hadn't seen it in years and years. Takeaways were that I thought their costumes were ugly as shit and Terence Stamp is not a good dancer though he tried. Guy Pearce was the only really good one and what was the meaning of the woman running through the desert hauling that flashing blue light trailer thing behind her?

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2023 7:52 AM

I always took it as Stamp coming out of retirement after his partner dies and he's a little rusty. Loved his work in this but Pearce was most definitely at his peak of gorgeousness.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2023 6:40 PM

[quote]what was the meaning of the woman running through the desert hauling that flashing blue light trailer thing behind her?

When the trio are first launching 'Priscilla,' their going-away party drowns out a ceremony announcing a girl who plans to run across Australia. The girl shows up twice later in the film, once just after the bus takes a short cut, and again when she runs right past the group and takes no notice of them.

It's a recurring joke, like the post-credits return of the kite with the blow-up doll.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2023 6:50 PM

Ah thanks R2. Totally forgot about that scene.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2023 6:52 PM

The costumes were ugly as shit OP? You clearly don't have an HD 4K television! Those costumes were ground breaking, especially the flip flop dresses. The two costume designers deserved that Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2023 6:58 PM

R4 to each his own.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2023 6:59 PM

OP neglected to specify that he watched it on a VHS tape on the CRT Sony Trinitron ("great color") in the smoking "conservatory" (glassed in side porch) at Shady Pines.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2023 7:06 PM

I rewatched it a few months ago on tubi, (saw it in '94 in an art house theater, and several times after) and it was amazing. It really holds up.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2023 7:08 PM

[quote] "The costumes were ugly as shit OP? You clearly don't have an HD 4K television! Those costumes were ground breaking, especially the flip flop dresses. The two costume designers deserved that Oscar!"

The designs themselves were not groundbreaking. But the Oscar win for a film with such a tight budget that many of the supplies used to build them were purchased with a team member's mother's KMart employee discount, is definitely groundbreaking.

Many wonder why those Academy Award-winning costumes aren't in museums. It's because they weren't (and couldn't be) built to last. Most of them lasted just long enough to be filmed, before falling apart/wearing out. It isn't ideal, but it obviously worked.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2023 7:12 PM

The film was somewhat “ground breaking” because straight male actors played drags queens. That said, as such they were not very convincing- so…

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2023 7:15 PM

I did love the get ups worn at the end on the hike up the rock and the ones on the top of the bus to opera music.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2023 7:15 PM

What NWV said. I remember interviews about the costuming - they had next to no budget so they were recognized as being very inventive.

I loved this film. It felt very of a moment with Muriel's Wedding, fun but also a bit melancholy. Quotable lines aside, I think it has held up nicely.

I enjoy/enjoyed To Wong Foo as well, but its story seemed a bit thinner (and the "queens make over the ladies" bit seems so derivative now).

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2023 7:19 PM

Terence Stamp played Bernadette to perfection. He didn’t go for cheap laughs but have her a quiet dignity.

He got a BAFTA nom for best actor and mor than deserved an Oscar nom.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2023 7:25 PM

This film highlights the huge chasm between camp queens (guys in frocks) and pageant queens (I'm a beautiful woman!). I prefer the humor of camp queens.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2023 7:25 PM

Now listen here, OP. Why don't you just light your tampon and blow your box apart, because it's the only bang you're ever gonna get, sweetheart!!!

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2023 7:53 PM

[quote]The designs themselves were not groundbreaking

What movie costumes would you consider groundbreaking, r8? What makes a costume...groundbreaking?

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2023 8:39 PM

I’m really want to fuck Felecia.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2023 8:47 PM

You am, r16?

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2023 8:47 PM

Does anyone have some spare Ping-Pong balls?

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2023 9:05 PM

I loved that film and just the mentioning of its name makes me feel wonderful. I'm not a movie expert, but that. film brought me great warm, wonderful feelings I still remember at age 81.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2023 9:09 PM

You don't look a day over 79 r19!

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2023 9:11 PM

I rewatched The Texas Chainsaw Mascara last night.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2023 9:19 PM

Guy P was HAWF but not convincing as gay. He sure was fun to look at, though.

Hugo Weaving was amazing.

Terence Stamp acquitted himself pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2023 10:01 PM

^ erm, HAF

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2023 10:01 PM

Stamp was ROBBED of a nomination. It’s spectacular work.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2023 10:23 PM

I though Guy got hotter when he got older.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2023 12:09 AM

RALPH!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2023 1:10 AM

There goes the transsexual

Last seen heading south.

We called her Bernie

But her real name was.....

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2023 1:22 AM

The Sydney Opera House costumes were pretty fucking amazing

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2023 1:24 AM

The frilled lizard costumes still kill me - CeCe Penistone's "Finally," the tongues, the frill-hood flips.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2023 1:45 AM

Terence Stamp has said that ”Priscilla“ was the most physically demanding film he ever made.

He said the role was more physically demanding than his role in Superman (because of the choreography and high heels)

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2023 2:32 AM

That's just what this country needs: a cock in a frock on a rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2023 11:25 PM

Terence Stamp was fucking brilliant as Bernadette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2023 11:27 PM

Oh, OP, gurl.

Were you drunk when you watched it again just like you were years and years ago?

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2023 11:28 PM

When this movie first came out I went to see it with a friend. After about 45 mins., she walked out. I went after her and to see what was wrong, and she said the movie was gross. I told her it’s just a fun movie, but she refused to go back in. I told her I’m going to finish watching it and she waited in the lobby until it was over. I couldn’t believe how the movie offended her.

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2023 11:44 PM

Wonder who or what Guy Pearce and Guy Pearce studied to find their characters.

Anthony and Bernadette are just so spot on! We all know or knew gays or trans just like them, which is why film hit home.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2023 3:57 PM

I don't care if the sun don't shine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2023 4:02 PM

Shout out to Tim Chappel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2023 4:07 PM

Please tell me she's dead now, r34

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2023 4:12 PM

Because it's American, To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar is far superior.

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2023 7:10 PM

R34 I hope you quit that friendship. How odd for her to be friends with a gay person and be offended by that movie.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2023 7:36 PM

Lars, Lars and Lars!

Sounds like a Swedish law partnership.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2023 7:37 AM

I saw this for the first time a few nights ago. Fun film plus if you know Australia's Red Centre you know the film captured it's backwardness perfectly. But where were all the flies?

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2023 7:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!