Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I want to make some money in the stock market

Those of you who've been down that road have any advice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2023 9:22 PM

Don't buy JetBlue. I thought it would take off (ha!) when it started competing with the legacy airlines with its flights to Europe. Uh. . . no.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2023 3:16 PM

Canadian Allied Petroleum

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2023 3:33 PM

Crypto is the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2023 3:35 PM

Invest in a well spread index fund and sit on it long term- perhaps adding to it regularly. Hedge with debt (bonds) and now T notes and bills now that interest rates have gone up. Anyone who thinks they can make bucks short term in the equities markets is barking up the wrong tree. To a certain degree company performance matters- and inside information can work although it’s against the law. Crypto is pretty straight forward gambling if that’s your sport.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2023 4:06 PM

Get elected to Congress. Then get on a finance committee.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2023 4:36 PM

R4 thanks. What about mutual funds?

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2023 12:19 AM

R6, they gave higher fees

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2023 12:44 AM

Thanks. How did you learn? Did you read?

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2023 12:42 PM

Just got a tip from someone on DL and don't know whether or how to follow up. It's to invest in med stocks. Have never invested before so I don't even know where to go to do that lol

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2023 12:28 AM

Plastics.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2023 12:34 AM

Wait until the Republicans default on the debt, so you can pick up some bargains.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2023 12:45 AM

For non-index funds, I've had good returns with $BEP, Brookfield Renewable Partners. I like knowing that I'm investing in a company that is profitable providing green-energy. I first invested during Covid, and even during recession my returns are still at 14.66%. It pays a nice dividend of 4.07%, which at times is better than Exxon levels of dividends, and is also rare for a renewables company. It's also gotten up to $80-$90 and splits 2:1 often.

Additionally, I really wish I had bought more $OTIS (the elevator company) when they went public back in 2020. Decent dividend at 1.44%, but I see the company easily getting to around $100 or more a share. As of 5/22/23 it's at $84.08, IPO was around $45. Otis is basically the only option for elevator installation and repair, but I suppose it could be susceptible to shocks in the construction market.

I made a dumbass buy and bought Carnival Cruises when it was super cheap during covid. I gambled on assuming people would want to get out & away, but its only gone down since then, probably because of recession. I'm at a loss of -57.25% on that turd. Should have bought something more luxury like Norwegian or Royal Caribbean, as cruising companies usually don't pay any dividends.

As R9 mentioned, Gilead is a great stock that pays great dividends. As someone who lives with HIV, you better believe I'm going to invest in the company that literally saves my life.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2023 1:20 AM

R9, I use SoFi for any active investing I make. I only have a Schwab account for stock that I've inherited and never touch. SoFi is fairly easy to use and doesn't overwhelm you with information on stocks. I don't typically throw out referrals, but check them out. If you sign up with mu link and fund your active investing account with a $10 minimum, you'll receive an extra free $25 to buy stock.

I'd recommend an index fund like VOO or QQQ to start with. You don't have to purchase full shares with SoFi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2023 1:39 AM

How much money did you start investing with?

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2023 2:50 AM

Myself, R14? Probably a couple hundred and then after doing my own due diligence I went up.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2023 3:35 AM

R4 has good advice. Throw $10-$50 into a index fund every couple of weeks or so, but If you have the funds the bond market is down and a good way to hedge against the other index funds like mentioned above, like $QQQ or $VOO.

I have recently bought $VTEB (Vanguard Tax Exempt Bonds), $BND (Vanguard Total Bond Market), and $AGG (iShares Total Bond Market).

If you want to create actual wealth in the market, my advice is to buy low & never sell equities (i.e. stocks) or ETFs that pay a good dividend. Reinvest those dividends into the same investment (it's tax-free). Your returns may grow. Realize that every investment is a risk.

I am not a financial planner, nor the famed financial advisor Cassandra of DL. Maybe we can summon her.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2023 12:52 AM

Buy Low.

Sell High.

You’re welcome.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2023 1:06 AM

I’ve got lucky with a few stocks—always with an insider tip. Unfortunately that’s the only way to make real dough.

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2023 1:24 AM

Selling requires you claim that income to the IRS. I still prefer buying low and creating dividends, but your financial needs may vary.

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2023 1:26 AM

I’m R18. Getting tips isn’t hard. It’s mainly listening to idle gossip from people who work at public companies. Not once did anyone tell me on the QT. Almost always at drinks or a party where someone working for a trades company mentions something that suggests stock will rise.

These are closely held secrets. Any staffer at the management level generally has intel on how their biz is performing or whether they’re going to acquire a company or be acquired.

I bought stock years ago after a friend mentioned in causal conversation that the publisher they worked for (you’d know the name) was going public. I bought $10k in stock the day it went public and made a mint.

That taught me to have an ear out. Have made around $100k over the years from that strategy.

The most important part of buying individual stocks—rather than mutual fund, which are designed for longterm growth—is to not be greedy. Sell after you double or triple your money. Individual stock will break your heart if you don’t take the money and run.

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 1:32 AM

^tgese are NOT closely held secrets…

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2023 1:33 AM

R20 ha ha ha haha hahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2023 4:35 AM

I ain’t telling you. I want the money for myself.

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2023 4:42 AM

You can set 52 week low alerts (and high alerts) on stocks of companies that you're pretty sure aren't going anywhere or American life as we know it would be changed. The worst thing would be they'd be acquired or bailed out. Those tend to be decent, cautious investments. Look at how much it fluctuates, how often it takes to pop between low and high, and what the dividend is. Meds, bank stock of major banks, energy, some consumer brands, some tech. Diversify your holdings and set those alerts to text you about those highs and lows. Those alerts will be your friend.

Buy low, sell high as they cycle each year or so and take the dividends in the meantime. Then wait for another dip and buy back in again. You'll get more that way than just taking the dividend and you'll lock in some gains. It may not be the money you'd make as a knowledgeable day trader, but it's pretty close to a set-it-and-forget-it. And it's a lot more than you're going to get on a savings account or CD.

Don't get advice from all one place: compare Schwab, MSN Money, Yahoo Finance and other reliable sites. Watch out for people on public message boards before you take their advice, including me!

You can also do it fantasy football style for a few months with imaginary money until you feel like you've gotten the hang of making good choices, and then use your real cash after that and actually get in.

Right now there are quite a few analysts that put: BAC (Bank of America), DVN (Devon Energy), GM (General Motors), PFE (Pfizer), T (AT&T), XOM (Exxon Mobil), as solid buys. All except GM pay excellent dividends.

You may also want to look at VZ (Verizon) as they're at a 52-week low, if you want to hold on to it for a good while. F (Ford) is in the middle of its typical price range now but it will go up and it pays a solid dividend. People are saying KO (Coke) is in trouble but for a long hold probably the old "you can't go broke with Coke" still holds, though you may have just missed the best moment to get in for a very long hold, when it was below 60.

I've reached a point where I can make supplemental money that amounts to 50% of my annual job salary by putting chunks of capital into trusted companies. It's made a huge difference in my peace of mind and my lifestyle and retirement. I wish I'd started doing it years ago when you could first trade stocks online. Once you get the hang of it, making money isn't that hard, but you do have to give it energy and attention.

If you just want to park your money, and you have enough of it to not need it for a while, wait for 52 week lows and put decent chunks on AAPL (Apple), JNJ (Johnson & Johnson), MSFT (Microsoft), Visa (V), Procter & Gamble (PG), Amazon (AMZN), Disney (DIS), Mastercard (MA), Google (GOOG), WMT (Walmart), INTL (Intel), and Cisco (CSCO). Part of this may be that you have to invest against your conscience, knowing what some of the awful things these companies do to the earth, to the gays, to the economically disadvantaged to keep those dividends coming.

Agree with the posters above: educate yourself and don't go in blind, have realistic goals, don't be greedy.

Tear me to shreds now, DL investors!

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2023 2:27 PM

Boring index funds have done very well for me over the years, but you have to be consistent and have a set-it-and-forget-it mindset. Constantly checking balances and tinkering with your strategy is a surefire way to lose out on long-term gains.

Check out forums like the one at Bogleheads.org (there's also a Bogleheads subreddit) and ask questions about things you don't understand. Take your time reading before you invest. The market will still be there tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2023 2:34 PM

R16 how much return can that bring?

Can you lose it all?

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2023 11:32 PM

R12 don’t sell the cruise line stock, it is definitely going to go back up, cruises are at over 100% of their sales pre-pandemic, carnival will catch up b/ Royal and Norwegian are oversold, their prices are going to go up.

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2023 11:37 PM

R27, for sure. I never sell at a loss. If anything, I should probably buy more but I limit myself a monthly budget for investing, and I'm hedging on the bond market to get more of bond indexes that are down.

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 12:16 AM

R26 if the bond market has a total meltdown we have bigger problems than losing our money. It's a safe investment that provides modest dividends. Basically, bonds go down when stocks go up. By hedging, Bonds are essentially investments in different funds within the government: from Treasury notes, to mass-transit & toll road governenmentally controlled companies, to state pension funds.

As mentioned, I'm more interested in long-term wealth for retirement,so your desires may vary.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2023 12:42 AM

$T (AT&T) is also way down, I need to buy more to pay down my purchase price. The stock sucks for making money day-trading, but it pays a good dividend. Plus I got free $WBD (Warner Bros. Discovery) because of the company spin-off. That may be a good buy because of the writers' strike, but I'm wary as it's never made me money, much less a dividend.

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2023 12:57 AM

By the way, the stock I inherited & never touch is $XOM (ExxonMobil), and I feel like a pice of shit sometimes because they are killing our planet, but the dividends are large enough amount that it pays off most of my bills. I'm talking about shares in the thousands though. My great-auntie got a tip way back when and invested in Standard Oil, which eventually became Exxon. After so many dividends and spits and spin-offs, it created generational wealth.

Maybe greed is good.

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2023 1:06 AM

So it's good to be in the know about what companies are going to thrive and which current thrivers will tank.

It's good to be read job labor market forecasts because everything is tied together to this. It's very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 2:04 AM

R27, $CCL is raising today. Against my own better judgement, bought more to pay down my purchase price.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2023 7:27 PM

How much have you invested, how much have you made?

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2023 1:08 AM

Unless it's play money, don't invest in individual stocks.

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2023 1:57 AM

R27 CCL (Carnival Cruise Lines) is finally rising. Thankfully I Increased my position when it was lower so even though I'm at a loss, I have less of one now. I'm buying more WBD since it's so low, probably because of the strike.

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2023 12:25 AM

Stick with index funds-like most of the hedge fund guys do … for the long haul.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2023 12:54 AM

I want to go on a cruise!

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2023 1:53 AM

Serach for low or no load mutual funds that mirror the S and P Index. Play the long game.

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2023 2:05 AM

No load mutual funds?

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2023 2:41 PM

Yes No load Mutual Funds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2023 3:51 PM

Thank you sweet

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2023 5:15 PM

[quote] I never sell at a loss.

Never, ever?

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2023 11:30 PM

$CCL is going to make me money. Thankfully I bought about 30 shares just before it started to take off. Thanks again, R27. Depending on how high it gets it may pay for my next vacation, easily. Let me buy us lunch!

by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2023 8:24 PM

I have a brokerage account that is actively managed, and a deferred comp (457b) account that is in large cap funds (Index 500, Windsor II) and Growth and Income (Wellsley), etc. The deferred comp I rarely fiddle with, the brokerage account my broker recommends stocks etc. Total between the two, about $2 million.

As far as returns go, I've done just as well in the set and forget deferred comp. account as I have in the brokerage account. There have been some tax advantages in the brokerage account (taking losses, not selling gains).

Retired civil servant, at one point I did have an inheritance of $400,000 that went into the brokerage account. Thirty years of syphoning off from my paycheck--no matches by my employer. I started very small when my income was $20,000 a year. I took my retirement payout from unused vacation time and put it all in the deferred comp account, too.

Start NOW, be patient, don't invest in fads. Only buy stock that you understand what the company does, and not until after you've got some index funds, etc. Read John Bogle.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2023 8:35 PM

Elder gay if you had $500 to invest what would you do if you never did anything before?

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2023 10:51 PM

Assuming that you have set aside money for an emergency (Suze Orman says 6 months of living expenses -- you can learn a lot from her PBS shows), I would put it in an S&P Index 500 fund (via Vanguard or Fidelity). It's a small amount but it will get you started. Don't obsess over it day to day.

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2023 9:14 PM

Crypto is a ponzi scheme.

Don't invest in industries or sectors you do not understand.

Although investors are told to "buy low and sell high," human nature actually makes people "buy high and sell low"

In order to increase returns, risk ALWAYS increases. However, just because you invest in something higher risk, it does not mean your returns will increase.

Bears make money. Bulls make money. Pigs get slaughtered.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2023 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!