Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Madden’s $300 million “Citadel” receives terrible reviews - will Hollywood finally sour on the Russo Bros.?

The Russos promised Hollywood (specifically streaming services) they would bring Marvel-sized magic to the small screen and sold streamers on the idea that they could create their own “cinematic universes” in which a shared story would exist over multiple entertainment programs.

Instead their brand has become synonymous with “formulaic”… “generic”… “derivative”… “cliched”… “boring”… “bland”… “cheap-looking”… and expensive

Their reputation has gotten so bad that many reviews for Chris Evans’s Apple turkey “Ghosted” actually pointed out that they were surprised it wasn’t a Russo Bros. movie.

Citadel had preemptively received a two season order due to peak streaming foolishness so Amazon is being forced to stick with this turkey for another year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2023 12:22 AM

I'm just about to watch this. OP's Rotten Tomatoes link shows the critics thought it was average but the fans loved it.

Anyway watched it yet?

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2023 12:07 PM

The show literally premiered today. Fans did not “love it.” Insane fangirls logged in to elevate the score before even bothering to watch the series.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2023 12:11 PM

Yeah I wondered that too R2. Agreed. Rabid fangurls left all those reviews. OK I'll give it a watch.

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2023 12:14 PM

LOL. I meant I was R1.

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2023 12:15 PM

Reddit seems pretty split on it from what I could see. Even the ones who liked it say it's just okay. The problem is that a non-fantasy show that doesn't rely on special effects and purpose-built worlds can't be "just okay" after you've spent $300 million on it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2023 12:16 PM

Brittany Witherspoon thinks it’s “tremendous.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2023 12:34 PM

If you have to go all the way down to Screen Rant to find a good review, you have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2023 12:46 PM

How’s Froy holding up?

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2023 1:04 PM

I don't know which is worse - “formulaic”… “generic”… “derivative”… “cliched”… “boring”… “bland”… “cheap-looking”… and expensive or to have such a high audience rating for such a series.

It says a LOT about audiences that they actually like this kind of crap.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2023 1:10 PM

Madden will need some twinks to comfort him

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2023 1:14 PM

[quote] Brittany Witherspoon thinks it’s “tremendous.”

Any relation to Reese Murphy-Spears?

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2023 3:28 PM

[quote] How’s Froy holding up?

R8 Even the boytoy must know it's a dud because he hasn't liked anything on Madden's instagram for several posts now, nor have they even been in the same city for the past month or more.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2023 4:33 PM

R12 Is he allowed to while hubby is promoting and doing PR?

Richard Madden really threw his career down the toilet trying to cover up his sexuality. He went from the next big thing to a ghost because of those Brandon Flynn photos. He became a recluse and never recovered. Then all his projects bombed and his fans are bored by how private he is. It’s not even interesting following them.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2023 6:19 PM

Well, Froy did like the most recent post. Fangirls are cheering once again.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2023 1:19 AM

Richard Madden wasn’t heralded as The Next Big Thing on GOT, Kit Harington was

That hasn’t gone well either

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2023 1:23 AM

IMO the problem with Dicky is that he chose flashy projects that his agent encouraged him to do and probably paid well, but didn’t pan out. In reality he may have had a better career if he had chosen to do Bodyguard Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2023 1:26 AM

No, Richard WAS hailed as the big new thing but fizzled after The Red Wedding.

Kit was not meant to be the main sex symbol at first. Closeted Richard was.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2023 1:29 AM

Oh, Richard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2023 12:11 AM

A Sears Catalog disguised as a show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2023 12:12 AM

People HATE this show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2023 12:14 AM

There’s literally no buzz on social media for this, despite the massive marketing push it’s an instant bomb, I wonder if Amazon could potentially cancel the second season and figure it is more economic to pay the not-insignificant penalties than to actually be burdened with marketing a show no one wants to see. We saw this kind of thing with HBO’s second season of Perry Mason which just appeared with almost no promotion this spring.

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2023 3:10 PM

[quote] Richard Madden really threw his career down the toilet trying to cover up his sexuality. He went from the next big thing to a ghost because of those Brandon Flynn photos. He became a recluse and never recovered. Then all his projects bombed and his fans are bored by how private he is. It’s not even interesting following them.

Being openly gay has NEVER helped a leading man in the whole history of Hollywood. I should know.

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2023 3:18 PM

Yes but Matt Bomer is more of a Froy-caliber actor. Like even if Froy was straight he was never going to be a big leading man.

by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2023 3:45 PM

[quote] Yes but Matt Bomer is more of a Froy-caliber actor. Like even if Froy was straight he was never going to be a big leading man.

Uh, Bomer is definitely a higher caliber actor than Froy. C'mon now.

I'd say Bomer and Madden are fairly comparable. Both are competent, decent actors, but nothing all that unique or extraordinary. Their looks are their calling card.

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2023 8:27 AM

Richard seems fairly awkward here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2023 8:52 AM

The burning question is whether it’s as big a disappointment as Rings of Power which I was looking forward to then had to give up on after a couple of episodes. Richard is cute but life is too short for crappy or mediocre tv.

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2023 8:56 AM

R25 He seems awkward when it comes to anything these days. He doesn't come off as a fully confident, grown man comfortable in his own skin.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2023 10:25 AM

R27 that’s what I thought. Tbh his body language and behaviour in that little clip reminded me of myself when I was maybe my teens or twenties and had very little self-confidence and wasn’t at all comfortable in my own skin. Madden is this highly successful and ridiculously handsome Hollywood actor yet clearly still has his issues, as we all do. Stanley Tucci on the other hand, while looking a fair bit older now, exudes confidence which is attractive.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2023 10:34 AM

Well Hollywood for most actors is kind of a bipolar business, the excitement and ego-building of being attached to a hit, and the crushing defeat of being attached to a failure. Tucci is a character actor who will always have steady well paying work; but Richard is the star, he is the face of the series, and not only it is a gigantic turkey, unlike almost all other turkeys which actors can bury quickly in the rear view mirror, because of the bizarre business deal which resulted in a two season order, he’s yoked to this thing for another year.

Think of this as analogous to what happened with Batman V Superman, the cast seemed optimistic when making it and genuinely devastated when it was crucified upon release, and then they had to go back and start filming Justice League right way, which turned out to be one of the unhappiest, drama-filled shoots ever.

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2023 11:15 AM

[quote] Uh, Bomer is definitely a higher caliber actor than Froy.

String disagree, Bomer was a soap opera actor at Froy’s age, there’s no reason why Froy wouldn’t be able to have a similar career path. A pleasant actor who coasts on a beautiful face.

Richard is the real deal, he can actually act circles around those two.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2023 11:20 AM

Matt Bomer has a way better career than Richard Madden. He’s not a leading man but he’s a character actor, which I don’t think he’d have ever been had he not come out as gay. He’d have been a failed leading actor who disappeared had he not come out.

It doesn’t matter if Madden is the better actor, Matt is better looking, he’s a non-recluse who will work events and the red carpet and interviews, and he has more personality.

Madden has absolutely nothing. A man hiding a secret. That he’s gay.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2023 11:34 AM

[quote]Matt Bomer has a way better career than Richard Madden.

Madden makes more money than Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2023 11:55 AM

Matt Bomer is not really a character actor, he’s just kind of niche lead. If he is a lead in a project and the whole thing revolves around him, he can do OK but if you put him in an ensemble piece he fades right into the background (Magic Mike, AHS, Boys in the Band).

Richard is a star and a star is the person who is always the most interesting person on the screen even when they are not the main character.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2023 12:05 PM

R33 Yeah but his movies have sucked. He hasn’t done anything notable since “Rocketman” and that’s a stretch. He was big during “Bodyguard”.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2023 12:09 PM

He hasn’t done anything because he’s been filming this thing. Duh.

Some people think show business projects just appear miraculously like hard candies in grandma’s purse.

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2023 12:16 PM

He's also far too lean. So now his face is gaunt. Josh Segarra has the same issue in Scream 6: he is 36 but his face makes him appear to be 10 years older.

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2023 12:16 PM

[quote] Richard is a star and a star is the person who is always the most interesting person on the screen even when they are not the main character.

If Madden is such a star, why does his stuff bomb so much these days? Why isn't he getting better picks at top projects (he couldn't even land the Gladiator gig)? Even in ensemble things, Richard also fades to the back. In Eternals, the other actors took attention in the film, even with less screen time, and even in this new show, folks seem to be talking far more about Chopra and Tucci than Richard. And if a star is "the most interesting person on the screen", why doesn't that translate into him being a real household name (of which he's really not, not in the way his fans think he is), and major projects being sold on his name and image alone? I mean, the man isn't even interesting in real life in interviews, press, etc. He comes off defensive and guarded, and practically lives as a recluse. That's not star power.

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2023 2:11 PM

Richard Madden will always be too short for that gesture.

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2023 2:35 PM

Bomer is like a Ken doll who can deliver lines. I'm surprised he didn't get the part in Barbie.

Madden is like his little sister, Skipper.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2023 2:41 PM

Wow, Amazon using its shows as interactive product catalogs is either brilliant or the most cynical development of the streaming era.

I was thinking about watching this, but everything about it just seems so generic. It really does look like an AI-generated series.

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2023 3:22 PM

What’s the story with Richard and Froy? Are they still spotted together?

by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2023 4:32 PM

Sometimes they are striped r41.

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2023 4:34 PM

R37

BECAUSE NOBODY EVER SAID LIFE IS FAIR

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2023 4:51 PM

With this being such a colossal bomb I wonder if they could potentially move this to FreeVee for Season 2. At least get some money back.

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote]I was thinking about watching this, but everything about it just seems so generic.

I watched the first two episodes, and generic is exactly the right term for it.

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2023 4:55 PM

NGL Richard seems somewhat ashamed of it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2023 5:03 PM

[quote] What’s the story with Richard and Froy? Are they still spotted together?

R41 As for pap pics, they have not been spotted together since last summer (when Froy was caught hiding behind the pillar on the hotel balcony in Italy). Since then, nothing. As for this year, Richard has been promoting Citadel all over the place, and is also shooting his new movie in Greece. Froy has been living in LA.

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2023 1:09 AM

Read between the lines

“ “Citadel, the #1 title on Prime! In its series debut, this show attracted one of the largest global audiences in the history of Prime Video – such an incredible performance for new and original IP,” Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke wrote on Instagram.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2023 12:06 AM

The thing with streaming outlets is they keep all real stats behind closed doors, and much of what they do put out is PR propaganda to hype the products. We've seen plenty of shows do well enough, supposedly, in the top tens of these various streaming outlets (some even number 1), and then only end up cancelled too after 1 season. So who really knows.

That said, if they really do make another season, they don't need to spend 300 million. It's obviously getting a major budget cut.

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2023 7:27 AM

Great points R49. It’s also worth noting that Amazon is getting a 25 million (?? Correct me if I am wrong on the amount) tax break to film season 2 in California. Plus it will not be filming under the Covid protocols they had to follow in 2021 and early 2022 and they have a creative team in place then seem to be pleased with, so reshoots should be minimal. There should be no way season 2 of this show is close to 300 million and if it is, something is very wrong!

by Anonymousreply 50May 9, 2023 12:26 PM

She was on stern show and she is insufferable. She’s so full of herself and he fake gushing over her obvious Mary of a Husband is the worst case of acting. Her fake “I got bad plastic surgery because I needed sinus surgery not to make myself for white and marketable” is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 51May 9, 2023 12:36 PM

[quote] An orphaned teenager traverses the American West with a sweet but mysterious robot and an eccentric drifter in search of her younger brother.

Only other thing the Russo bros have coming out is this starring Chris Pratt on Netflix. It sounds so terrible it may actually finally finish them off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 9, 2023 12:39 PM

Madden was best in Bodyguard and Bomer was best in White Collar.

by Anonymousreply 53May 9, 2023 12:40 PM

It failed to Nielsen chart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2023 12:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!