Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ma and Pa Kettle

Just watched one of their movies for the first time and was really entertained, now I’ve seen three. How have I never heard of these? The camp is high for the time they came out, how are they not Gay camp classics?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2023 3:04 AM

They were hilarious for sure. But you lost me at gay camp.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2023 11:31 PM

They were funny. Trailer trash before there were trailers

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2023 11:33 PM

R1 yes, because there was plenty of man-on-man buttfucking action in Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2023 11:34 PM

^ Mommie Dearest was glamorous, the Kettles not so much. BIG difference

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2023 11:38 PM

R4 the house-of-the-future was glamorous and Ma too when she put on furs.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2023 11:40 PM

Ok, you win 🙄

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2023 11:43 PM

Ma Kettle is my role model

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2023 11:43 PM

R7 are you a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2023 11:44 PM

After the audiences' positive reaction to the Kettles in the film, Universal Studios produced nine more films, with Marjorie Main reprising her role in all and Percy Kilbride reprising his in seven. The films grossed an estimated $35 million altogether at the box office and are said to have saved Universal from bankruptcy.

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2023 11:46 PM

I love their corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2023 11:47 PM

We don't know them.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2023 11:50 PM

Never heard of them 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2023 11:52 PM

Corn? Corn??? Now when did I eat corn, r10?

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2023 12:01 AM

You probably know that the characters first appeared in "The Egg and I" with Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert. Very funny to see them introduced, with Richard Long as their poor, smart son who really wanted to go to college.

Hint: After many trials getting their chicken ranch up and running and keeping their marriage going, it all works out for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2023 12:06 AM

My grandmother referenced them all the time and I never knew what the hell she was talking about. I guess maybe I should watch one now in tribute to my grandmother's rotting corpse

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2023 12:08 AM

Did you know that the Kettles were real people, or lightly disguised versions of real people?

The book "The Egg and I" is a memoir, a young woman's story of how she and her husband went to live on an egg farm in rainy Bumfucke Falls, Washington State. I found a copy of the book in a used bookstore ages ago, and was surprised to find the original Ma and Pa Kettle featured in it, they actually lived down the road from the author. It's an entertaining and likable book, that doesn't bear much resemblance to the film, if you ever find a copy.

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2023 12:14 AM

They made great drums, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2023 12:19 AM

Pa gives the best math lesson ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2023 12:55 AM

LOVED ma and pa kettlt, HENNNNRY

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2023 1:06 AM

[bold]LET ME TELL YOU THE STORIES OF MY PEOPLE[/bold].

Ma and Pa Kettle, Hee Haw and the Lawrence Welk show. a/k/a my fucking childhood.

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2023 1:15 AM

That maths lessons is similar to an Abbott and Costello routine.

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2023 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!