Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New John Mulaney Netflix Special: “Baby J”

What did you think?

by Anonymousreply 46May 9, 2023 11:31 AM

I can't stand him

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2023 5:58 AM

A world-class GRIFTER

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2023 6:10 AM

IT IS DAAAAAAARK.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2023 2:57 PM

Saw him live. It was hilarious

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2023 3:16 PM

Hi comedy is so bitchy/ gay.

Why hasn’t he come out again?

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2023 3:19 PM

I don’t understand the puce suit. Gives him a child molester vibe.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2023 4:04 PM

No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2023 4:27 PM

I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2023 6:59 PM

I’ve almost watched all of it. I found it less funny, but the overall style is the same. Every now and then he lets an intense sneer creep into his voice that I find off-putting even if it’s not surprising. (In his last stand up you could hear it a bit when he talked about his wife having no clue about the painting of Jesus and the last supper.) So, yeah, he is letting the charming likable persona go a bit, but it’s the same rhythm and style, just darker and more honest. I was kind of hoping he’d talk about Olivia, though what he could say about her that would be funny? Plus, they’re still together.

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2023 7:06 PM

Is this the filmed version of the "From Scratch" live show that many of us caught in 2021? I found that show hilarious but also, yes, far less formal and stylized. Way more raw.

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2023 7:20 PM

This is the From Scratch tour, but he changed the name because he used that while he was working out the material.

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2023 7:26 PM

Reviews have complained that he cracked jokes about his problems without exploring WHY he has drug problems. Would that be comedy, though?

I think he struck a pretty good balance. Acknowledged his problems but still kept it funny.

Whether that’s good for his sobriety— who knows. He’s still adopting a persona.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2023 11:07 PM

I just finished it and loved it. I thought it hit all the rights notes and was really funny. He painted a picture without slicing open a vein and just allowing all of his personal life and private demons to spill on stage. A good special, I would like to see it get some awards love.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2023 11:49 PM

Love him

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2023 11:50 PM

Very funny, big dick, sexy nerd

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2023 11:51 PM

He is still very angry about the intervention 21/2 years later.

And despite the fact there is no doubt he would be dead if his friends hadn’t intervened.

This isn’t an “I drink a bottle of wine every night but I function fine” situation. He. Would. Be. Dead. If he hadn’t gone to rehab.

So it’s interesting he’s so angry about it— still.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2023 7:27 PM

Bitchy hipster creep.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2023 9:29 PM

Plan to watch it tonight to see the Netflix-finalized version of the From Scratch material. Curious what makes the cut regarding Anna Marie and the divorce (if anything)

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2023 9:33 PM

He didn't say anything about the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2023 9:34 PM

It was often amusing but not funny. Smiles, not laughs.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2023 9:42 PM

Does he know everyone judged him? Does he feel judged?

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2023 9:43 PM

Shameless namedropper.

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2023 10:03 PM

Mulaney is funny enough but doesn’t have the raw genius (or innate charm) of a Bill Hader.

So it’s interesting that Mulaney feels so sneeringly superior to everyone, including his own Dr. Feelgood who presumably was smart enough to go to med school. Even if you are a terrible doctor, getting into medical school is pretty fucking difficult.

Superiority complexes are usually the province of insecure people, but one gets the feeling Mulaney truly believes he is superior.

Thanks to his parents, he lucked into a university (Georgetown) that serves as a pipeline for young comedians. He’s no doubt worked hard but—again— lacks raw genius.

So I wonder why he feels so superior.

As for the root of his troubles, he had by all accounts truly neglectful parents. He’s given multiple clues in his routines over the years that he may have been molested as a child.

Whatever happened, it fucked him up good.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2023 10:15 PM

My husband, who has mild cognitive impairment, said, when it ended, “So, were we supposed to find that funny?” Good question, even with impairment.

by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2023 10:30 PM

Quite the contrary, R23. He feels inferior. He feels like a complete loser at life. And he is FULLY aware of these feelings, and he projects the snooty superiority vibe CONSCIOUSLY knowing how big of a piece of shit he feels inside. It is, quite literally, an inside joke. Between himself and himself.

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2023 10:47 PM

Yes, r25, that is usually how it works. But something else seems to be going on with Mulaney.

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2023 10:51 PM

The thing with Dr. Michael was fascinating. That is a story that most people would never tell. But the fact that Mulaney not only went along with taking his shirt off to get drugs, and then relates the story to us is pretty remarkable. People usually keep stuff like that hidden, let alone a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2023 10:56 PM

It's a traditional standup routine. Mulaney is likeable but his self-effacing, submissive humor is not exactly breaking new ground. It feels very familiar.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2023 10:57 PM

Amusing - not as funny as his last stand up special, but darker.

And not as good as “Sack Lunch Bunch” - which I think has been the best thing he’s done so far.

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2023 10:57 PM

R27, a man taking his shirt off has to be the tamest thing any druggie has ever done. If he had gotten naked and probed that would have been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2023 11:01 PM

R24, so you hate John Mulaney but watched a John Mulaney set? Okay

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2023 11:03 PM

I hate watch shows all the time.

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2023 11:41 PM

The funniest bits for me, truth be told, were when he riffed on the 11 year old being in the audience. I guess I prefer the lighter type of comedy even if it’s superficial.

by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2023 12:31 AM

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2023 12:37 AM

The funniest parts for me:

“Get in here, you addicts!”

“Ask your mom if SHE thinks your dad’s mom did a good job and deserves to live.”

“Is this some kind of white Harvard thing?”

by Anonymousreply 35April 27, 2023 2:09 AM

Taking his shirt off is all he admitted he did.

by Anonymousreply 36April 27, 2023 3:01 PM

I squirmed a little with the 'weren't they dumb' Motown singers joke. But I don't think there was anyone Black in the audience, and it was Boston.

by Anonymousreply 37April 27, 2023 8:41 PM

Whatever happened to Baby J?

by Anonymousreply 38April 27, 2023 9:10 PM

I don’t remember the Motown joke. What did he say?

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2023 11:51 PM

The Motown joke was from “New Kid in Town.”

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2023 1:32 AM

R40 Then he repeated it in Baby J.

R39 He says, first calling them 'young, shiny and dumb':

I'm like (in a Motown/black accent): “aww man, you're gonna give me a whole hundred dollas for all of my songs? Where do I sign Mr. Berry Gordy?

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2023 2:12 AM

That joke wasn’t in “Baby J.”

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2023 2:28 AM

The Doctor Michael bit was …very sanitized.

I bet Mulaney did a lot more than take his shirt off.

by Anonymousreply 43May 9, 2023 11:22 AM

He’s funny but I find him repellent.

by Anonymousreply 44May 9, 2023 11:27 AM

He’s packing.

by Anonymousreply 45May 9, 2023 11:30 AM

“New in Town” is his funniest special. But it has a few bits that would get him canceled these days.

I wonder when he started using again.

by Anonymousreply 46May 9, 2023 11:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!