Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOR : Public schools would have to display Ten Commandments in Texas

Public schools in Texas would have to prominently display the Ten Commandments in every classroom starting next school year under a bill the Texas Senate approved Thursday.

Senate Bill 1515 by Sen. Phil King, R-Weatherford, now heads to the House for consideration.

This is the latest attempt from Texas Republicans to inject religion into public schools. In 2021, state Sen. Bryan Hughes, a Mineola Republican, authored a bill that became law requiring schools to display donated “In God We Trust” signs.

King said during a committee hearing earlier this month that the Ten Commandments are part of American heritage and it’s time to bring them back into the classroom. He said the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for his bill after it sided with Joe Kennedy, a high school football coach in Washington state who was fired for praying at football games. The court ruled that was praying as a private citizen, not as an employee of the district.

“[The bill] will remind students all across Texas of the importance of the fundamental foundation of America,” King said during that hearing.

The Senate also gave final passage to Senate Bill 1396, authored by Sen. Mayes Middleton, R-Galveston, which would allow public and charter schools to adopt a policy requiring every campus to set aside a time for students and employees to read the Bible or other religious texts and to pray.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said in a statement that both bills are wins for religious freedom in Texas.

“I believe that you cannot change the culture of the country until you change the culture of mankind,” he said. “Bringing the Ten Commandments and prayer back to our public schools will enable our students to become better Texans.”

Matt Krause, a former Texas state representative and attorney with the First Liberty Institute, the organization that represented the Washington coach, said the Kennedy case was a victory in religious freedom and this bill would be protected.

“The Kennedy case for religious liberty was much like the Dobbs case was for the pro-life movement,” he said. “It was a fundamental shift.”

In opposition to the bill, John Litzler, general counsel and director of public policy at the Texas Baptists Christian Life Commission, said at the committee hearing that the organization has concerns about taxpayer money being used to buy religious texts and that parents, not schools, should be having conversations about religion with their children.

“I should have the right to introduce my daughter to the concepts of adultery and coveting one's spouse,” Litzler said. “It shouldn’t be one of the first things she learns to read in her kindergarten classroom.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2023 3:51 AM

How long till Texas or Florida pass a bill demanding gays be thrown off buildings or publicly burned to a death in a cage or just plain old beaten and stoned to death in the town square like the Muslim countries do?

American Christians must be salivating at the very thought of all these things.

And we all know they'd do this right now if they could...

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2023 2:11 AM

I went to a friggin' Catholic school and they didn't display the 10 Commandments!! Why are these people so obsessed especially since most of them break the commandments every day! Just watch a few Judge Judy episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2023 2:23 AM

[quote]Public schools in Texas would have to prominently display the Ten Commandments in every classroom starting next school year under a bill the Texas Senate approved Thursday.

Are they displayed in the Texas State Senate? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2023 2:23 AM

I keep telling you guys, this is slow motion 1933 Nuremberg, Germany…laugh and call me paranoid-history has a weird way of repeating

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2023 2:49 AM

Nobody's laughing, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2023 2:53 AM

Challenges are being prepared.

People will fight contributing to the funding of the their local school districts.

Abbott just wants to wrestle attention away from Baby Huey over in Florida. It’s amazing that both states are run by actual lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2023 3:21 AM

Satanists should demand that their commandments be posted.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2023 3:27 AM

This is marvelous! Crime rates will plummet. Taking the 10 commandments out of the classroom years ago was the ruination of society.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2023 3:30 AM

Muslims, too, R7!

And how are these new laws going to affect Jehovah's Witness students?

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2023 3:38 AM

Yawn. Twice for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2023 4:07 AM

Who cares

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2023 4:21 AM

I'm going to my happy place

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2023 4:23 AM

R11 Thank you, Melania for joining the chat.

"Who cares?". you ask.

Those of us who care about democracy, religious freedoms, and separation of curch and state. That's who cares.

Now go back to your third-world country, where you belong.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2023 2:31 PM

George Carlin's got a problem with it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2023 2:35 PM

R13?

I salute you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2023 2:38 PM

But they'll never touch the gays or try to reverse gay marriage because it's all settled law, so quit being so damned paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2023 2:48 PM

R16 Melania dear, that's what they said about Roe V Wade, too - for 49 years. Guess what happened ?

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2023 2:51 PM

Slovenia is not third world.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2023 3:51 PM

[quote]R2: I went to a friggin' Catholic school and they didn't display the 10 Commandments!!

Well, had they done so, it could have potentially drawn attention to the fact that the Catholics removed the 2nd Commandment, and split the 10th into two in order to preserve the number.

I wonder which version the Texas Legislature proposes posting in schools - the one from the KJV, or the one from the Catechism?

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2023 7:49 PM

R15, "salami, salami, baloney" is from the unbelievably racist cartoon 'Pop-Pie a la Mode' (1945).

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2023 7:52 PM

They also want to set aside time in the school day for Bible readings and prayer. Seriously

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2023 7:57 PM

"Thou Shalt Not Kill" apply to school shooters?

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2023 8:31 PM

The Texans truly want this. No protests at all.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2023 9:19 PM

Bill has failed. For now.

[quote]The Republican-controlled Texas State House failed to advance a controversial bill on Tuesday that would have required public schools to display the Ten Commandments in every classroom. Senate Bill 1515 was effectively killed early Wednesday morning after House lawmakers did not meet a midnight deadline for a vote that would have advanced the bill for a third and final passage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2023 5:10 PM

This following story is true and a bit of a reality check for those Texans. I attended Catholic elementary school at the end of the baby boomer years. Classes were HUGE. There was no budget for art class, so art was usually wrapped up in the mandatory religion class. What that meant in practice is that children were given manila paper, scissors that could cut nothing, paste that smelled of wintergreen, and some crayons and were instructed to make religious things for their parents (saint cards, Advent calendars, Lenten calendars and the like). One nun had the brilliant idea (this was probably 4th grade) of having the kids make an illustrated picture book of the 10 commandments. Think that one through....... Of course, the nun was not prepared for the barrage of questions about the commandments, particularly adultery, coveting, etc. She turned beet red - the most she could bring herself to say about adultery was that it had something to do with a man and a woman being naked together in the same room. As a very literal 4th grader and a member of a large family who had at least a rudimentary knowledge of the differences in the sexes, I drew more or less anatomically correct figures, which prompted an immediate phone call to my parents to come to school for a parent-teacher discussion. I don't think my parents laughed in front of the nun, but they thought it was funny as hell.

There are all sorts of reasons why posting the 10 commandments is a bad idea, but this is a prime example of unintended consequences.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2023 9:11 PM

Mixing Education and Religion has worked so well in the UK that most people are now Atheist. Church attendance is now below 2% of the population.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2023 9:25 PM

R2 because Catholics are VERY different from evangelicals and southern baptists. I lived in Texas, I thought I could live anywhere. I was sadly mistaken and moved out at soon as I could.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2023 9:57 PM

As a Texas teacher, I am beyond disgusted. Although if I had to choose between the Ten Commandments and the "In God We Trust" sign that was signed into law last year, I'd go with the Ten Commandments because so many of the commandments are FUCKING ABSURD.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2023 10:03 PM

Let's just piss off Japan, India, the Arab world and all things Tibetan. How will our foreign policy and free trade change if any of these countries are offended by this?

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2023 11:55 PM

The Islamic world won't be offended, they have their own almost identical version. The rest will not give a fuck.

US Exceptionalism makes the rest of the World smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2023 12:27 AM

The people who go on about "Amerixan exceptionalism" are usually low IQ rednecks who aren't exceptional in any way

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2023 12:33 AM

This is far from the biggest problem in the US.

The attempts at separation of Church and State are just viewed as weird in a Country where being an atheist politician is career suicide.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2023 1:11 AM

There were more trans protests than protests about this at the Texas Capitol. It was night and day difference.

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2023 1:40 AM

R33 is the poster who has to drag trans people into everything

If the Christofascists will put all the gay AND trans people in camps

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2023 2:13 AM

In 1860 only 11% of Texans belonged to a church, ANY church. This is anti-historical, violent, revolutionary, and evil. Death To Texas!

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2023 3:06 AM

R33, tell me, what is the definition of pluralism in the context of a democracy?

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2023 3:48 AM

R34 fuck you. I wanted there to be more of a protest similar to the trans one I happened to participate in with protest signs, bitch!

R36 basically that coexist bumper sticker

Any of you other fuckers want to fuck with me we should meet on the wrestling mat! The mat!

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2023 3:47 AM

You see my hobby is making protest signs. I stayed up hours making signs. No one was there. I threw them in a dumpster.

Trans one has been the liveliest one to date.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2023 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!