Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

what is your go-to frozen food/meal?

for a meal or a short cut.

by Anonymousreply 87February 15, 2024 11:05 AM

frozen food is getting better and better.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2023 1:12 AM

I love Daiya gluten-free, dairy-free pizza.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2023 1:14 AM

Trader Joe's Paneer Tikka Masala. Or Chicken Tikka Masala.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2023 1:16 AM

R2 so pizza with no crust or cheese? Oh wait, fake crust and fake cheese. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2023 1:18 AM

Don't shoot me. I like quality frozen fish entrees, as well as good old fish sticks. Look for real fillet, not reconstituted, a fish you know, Pacific wild caught. Probably has a terrible carbon footprint but the good stuff tastes fresh and is well priced. Better than fresh fish in the middle of Europe and much cheaper than fish restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2023 1:18 AM

[quote]so pizza with no crust or cheese? Oh wait, fake crust and fake cheese. Got it.

Sure, kween.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2023 1:26 AM

R4, YTF.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2023 1:30 AM

Most anything frozen from Trader Joe’s

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2023 1:30 AM

Chicken Melts (Oh the shame!)

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2023 1:34 AM

Puddle water. Bark.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2023 1:34 AM

Stouffer's lasagna or french bread pizza.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2023 1:35 AM

The more interesting frozen entrees I’ve had: Cod Provençal from Trader Joe’s, Yaya’s Garden Greek Pastitsio, Amy’s Veggie Lasagna, and those meatless chicken tenders in the small bag.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2023 1:38 AM

Safeway's own brand of frozen pizza with rising crust, the 4 (or 5?) cheese variety, is quite good. I bake it & then add canned anchovies on top -- a single pizza makes 4 servings for me & extra slices freeze well for reheating later. Not a gourmet meal but tasty & filling.

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2023 1:40 AM

Ok, besides the TJ Tikka Masala listed above, I also love DiGiornio (Cheese) Stuffed Crust Pizza and add marinated artichoke hearts, sweet peppers and any other vegetables I feel like adding. I eat one or two slices, then wrap the remaining pizzas individually to freeze and break out at later dates when I feel a pizza craving coming on.

I love cheese-stuffed pizza. Sweet nectar of the Gods.

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2023 1:52 AM

I'm dubious of you folks refreezing frozen entrees that have been thawed and cooked.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2023 1:57 AM

Rao's pizza.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2023 2:04 AM

Trader Joe’s frozen spanakopita. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2023 2:12 AM

American Flatbread Pizza, I like the Revolution variety. Needs to thaw before baking but worth the extra time.

The entire Michael Angelo line is very good and short ingredients lists. Bake don't microwave.

Evol Truffle Parmesan Mac n Cheese

Devour Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese and White Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese

Bibigo Korean Steamed Pork & Vegetable Dumplings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2023 2:13 AM

Where’s Greg to post about his favorite frozen meal?

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2023 2:18 AM

Ice.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2023 2:18 AM

Marie Callender turkey pot pies - a classic.

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2023 2:47 AM

I don't eat them anymore. I make my own food and freeze it, BUT when I was fat and eating them often, I loved Deep Indian food Chicken Masala and their Spinach paneer.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2023 2:49 AM

Michael Angelo Eggplant Parmesan is great baked as noted above, but I haven't seen it anywhere for a couple months. Supply chain issues?

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2023 2:54 AM

Stoufer lasagna

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2023 2:56 AM

Banquet chicken pot pie - less than dollar - love the crust, plus the gravy and the two peas and one piece of chicken floating in the gravy. Carb lover's heaven.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2023 3:02 AM

Totino's Pizza Supreme - thin crust and perfect size for one (4 slices)

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2023 3:04 AM

The Rao's people make pizza?

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2023 3:05 AM

R5 I love the battered/frozen raw cod and halibut fish fillets. The ones I remember from childhood were just ok but the ones you can get now are surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2023 3:07 AM

acai smoothie op

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2023 3:10 AM

R27 I know about Rao's sauce and soup but haven't seen the pizza.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2023 3:19 AM

Two that I've discovered within the last four or five months are:

Realgood's Grande Chicken Enchiladas, and

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2023 3:22 AM

Tattooed Chef's Enchilada Bowl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2023 3:23 AM

Thank you but I want nothing to do with tattoosl

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2023 6:52 AM

Large bags of vegetable, shrimp and chicken dumplings from Asian markets or Trader Joe’s. They microwave or steam well. Dipping sauce: soy sauce, vinegar and splash of sesame oil with sliced scallions.

Chicken tikka masala, palak paneer and veg or chicken samosas

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2023 7:21 AM

ice creams

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2023 8:21 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2023 8:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2023 8:42 AM

I like to freeze Watermellon or Cantaloupe chunks during the warm hot months, tastes just like a popsicle, only better for you. Otherwise, anything Italian, I first thaw it half way or so, and cook on the stove top. :-)

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2023 9:44 AM

I can’t stand stink. Especially when it comes from dirty pussy and rotten ass

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2023 1:21 PM

I really would like the chance to viciously face slap everyone here who recommended Stouffer's frozen lasagne! It's DISGUSTING. It tastes like salt and something metallic. Truly awful. Can't imagine the deficit of good taste and intelligence required to recommend such flaming garbage to other people.

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2023 1:39 PM

I was going to post the same thing, r31. I don’t know how they make this with only 240 calories and 38 grams of protein. I have been dieting, and eat one for lunch almost every day. I put spicy green salsa on top.

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2023 1:43 PM

I'll take that meat in Aldi and Walmart's frozen aisle, pictured above. Seems to be fat free and I don't mind a bit of gristle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2023 2:22 PM

This is gong to sound gross, but here it is. A couple frozen El Monterey beef and bean burritos microwaved so they are half cooked. Then I'll finish them in a non-stick skillet until the outsides are crispy and golden and the insides heated all the way through.

Move them to a plate, then in the skillet, I'll mix about 1/2 cup of jarred salsa verde with about 1/4 cup heavy cream and add a teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder. Let that cook together until it's thick and bubbly then pour over top of the burritos. Add some fresh cilantro and avocado.

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2023 2:31 PM

Trader Joe’s palak paneer. I always have steamed rice around to add, plus some shakes of cayenne to spice it up. Also TJ’s Italian meatballs. Add some Rao’s marinara and some grated Parmesan or pecorino, with steamed vegetables on the side. Add a glass of wine, and I’m a happy camper.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2023 3:18 PM

Trader Joe’s spicy chicken curry is really good. They are really stingy with the chicken these days though.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2023 10:42 PM

the fake chick-fil-a nuggets from sam's club

and tater tots

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote] "I don't eat them anymore. I make my own food and freeze it"

Same, R22. So that by the time I reach for something commercially frozen, it's a rare junky treat...like Totino's Combination Pizza Rolls.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2023 10:50 PM

My “goddamnit my afternoon was consumed by meetings and I can’t wait for delivery” go-to are the chicken tikka / paneer meals from Deep Kitchen and more recently an assortment of frozen borek off of Fresh Direct (though those can’t be microwaved).

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2023 10:51 PM

Other than Bell & Evans chicken tenders and nuggets, and cod, I freeze my own cooking in single serving portions to enjoy as "microwave meals".

Curries, stews, bolognese, chili, and soups all freeze well. I'll freeze small portions of roasts whenever there is a gravy involved, especially brisket and chuck roasts. On a somewhat regular occasion, I do buy frozen hash browns, Tater-Tots, and Fries.

by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2023 12:28 PM

I forgot to admit we like frozen egg rolls!

by Anonymousreply 50April 18, 2023 12:29 PM

Frozen vegetables and rice.

by Anonymousreply 51April 18, 2023 12:38 PM

Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pies

DiGiorno’s Supreme Rising Crust pizza

Gorton’s Beer Battered Whole Fish Fillets

El Monterey’s 8-Pack Bean and Cheese Chimichangas

I try to always have one or several of each of these in my freezer for that moment when I’m “in the mood” to go through the ritual of preparing and consuming them. Usually as some kind of reward for having a bad day or something. Sometimes they’ll sit in my freezer for months or even a year before I get around to them. Each of these I have specific ways of cooking and preparing, and many of them I add many additional ingredients to (especially the pizza). And I also have specific ways of eating them (like the pot pies). I will admit that each time I do it’s always a little disappointing (but I always eventually return). I’m convinced this is part of their psychological appeal.

by Anonymousreply 52April 18, 2023 1:36 PM

Pina coladas

by Anonymousreply 53April 18, 2023 1:56 PM

Banquet Salisbury steaks and Onion Rings.

by Anonymousreply 54April 18, 2023 1:59 PM

Head cheese.

by Anonymousreply 55April 18, 2023 2:02 PM

Except for some frozen vegetables and fruit, I don't buy any frozen food. It's so processed that it must have like zero nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 56April 18, 2023 4:10 PM

Stouffer's. Just about any of them. Stuffed bell peppers, cheese and broccoli casserole, turkey and dressing.

by Anonymousreply 57April 18, 2023 4:12 PM

In warm weather months I peel and freeze bananas in Tupperware, along with bags of frozen blueberries (the ones from the dollar store do just fine). I combine them in a blender with semi-sweetened soy or almond milk (vanilla) for delicious, simple smoothies. I’m addicted to them!

by Anonymousreply 58April 18, 2023 4:17 PM

R58- That sounds so refreshing and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 59April 18, 2023 4:25 PM

Yes, Rao's makes pizza and it's excellent. If you go to their website and enter your zip code, it will list the closest stores.

by Anonymousreply 60April 18, 2023 11:36 PM

R56 Well yes, frozen vegetables are nutritious.

"A two-year study in the Journal of Food Composition and Analysis determined that the assumption that fresh produce has more nutritional value than frozen food is incorrect. In comparing nutrients of fresh, frozen and “fresh-stored” produce, the findings suggested no significant differences in assessed vitamin contents. In fact, in some situations, frozen produce proved more nutritious than “fresh-stored” produce after five days of refrigeration."

However, don't discount quality frozen entrees as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 18, 2023 11:46 PM

I love frozen vegetables. I buy mixed vegetables in a 5 pound bag because it's much cheaper per ounce and I know I will eat them. I mix in frozen broccoli. Steam it in the microwave for 6 minutes, add diced chicken, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with parmesan. Delicious, healthy, quick. Then for dessert, some frozen fruit (usually cherries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries).

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2023 12:17 AM

I couple of recent discoveries that are really good and I've already repurchased and will continue to repurchase:

Wow Bao Chinese BBQ Pork Bao (Walmart). 50 seconds in the microwave covered with a damp paper towel and they are delicious. I was surprised how good they turned out in the microwave. I like the BBQ Pork the best but they also have Chicken Teriyaki and Mongolian Beef. Use a small plate to microwave, not a huge dinner plate.

John Soules Southern Style Chicken Breast Sandwich and Bun (Walmart). Very good. Two sandwiches in a box with brioche bun. I air fry the chicken and microwave the bun, perfect. The chicken breast is a filet and not pressed chicken and the bun is good. They also have a spicy version but I haven't tried that one.

Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese Croissant. This is a breakfast sandwich but I often have it for lunch. So very good.

by Anonymousreply 63February 13, 2024 12:08 PM

Frozen fish fillets.

by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2024 12:27 PM

Stay far, far away from the "Chef" frozen meals at Walmart. Gordon Ramsay, Andrew Zimmern, Kardea Brown. All vomitous garbage. Someone should scream in Gordon Ramsay's face about how bad his frozen slop is.

by Anonymousreply 65February 13, 2024 12:32 PM

fish sticks

by Anonymousreply 66February 13, 2024 1:02 PM

frozen North Pacific wild caught white fish filet with butter sauce, and pommes duchesse

I could never bother to make pommes duchesse and the frozen wild fish tastes good and comes in the right portion size. no waste, no mess.

by Anonymousreply 67February 13, 2024 1:12 PM

Bibigo Wontons are good.

by Anonymousreply 68February 13, 2024 4:33 PM

Patton Oswalt on 'lack of effort' (from 'Tragedy Plus Comedy Equals Time' 2013):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 13, 2024 8:19 PM

I second Stouffer's Stuffed Peppers. They taste just like my Mom made them.

by Anonymousreply 70February 13, 2024 8:56 PM

SuperPretzel frozen pretzels

by Anonymousreply 71February 13, 2024 11:53 PM

Motor City Detroit Style Pizza at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2024 3:33 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2024 5:53 PM

Canned tuna over bagged salad with a roma tomato andd DD whatever dressing is on hand.

When it’s time to splurge, I add crushed saltines.

I am tires of cheese and beef being base materials in my fast food diet.

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2024 6:51 PM

Stouffers fish filet with mac n cheese, adding hot sauce on the fish after cooking. Pricey on its own, but I stock up on sale.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2024 6:51 PM

Korean mandu 🥟

by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2024 6:52 PM

Amy’s bean and cheese burrito.

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2024 6:58 PM

Rao's is now owned by Campbells' Soup so enjoy it now before the quality inevitably tanks.

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2024 7:15 PM

I tried a lot of Stouffer's frozen meals recently. Most of them are horrible, particularly any that have pasta. The only ones I've liked enough to buy again were the meatloaf and the turkey and stuffing, both with mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2024 7:46 PM

I like their spaghetti and meatballs (not meat sauce). Their lasagna doesn't heat up evenly.

by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2024 7:54 PM

I don’t eat frozen food much but I do like those di giorno frozen pizzas when I want to have a really thick pizza. They’re actually quite ok for frozen food.

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2024 7:59 PM

The cheapest frozen pizza, then I add stuff to it.

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2024 8:53 PM

I used to love the Trader Joe's spinach lasagna in the red and white cardboard packaging. I haven't had it in years.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2024 8:57 PM

Jenny Craig Orange Chicken, Jenny Craig Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Jenny Craig Chicken Carbonara

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2024 9:04 PM

Frozen ravioli. Boil, drain, stir in olive oil, Parmesan and Italian seasoning on top.

Frozen tortellini, bring to boil in chicken stock, add some stuff…voila tortellini soup.

by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2024 10:46 PM

Saffron Road chicken tikka masala

by Anonymousreply 86February 15, 2024 10:39 AM

Tree Tavern frozen pizza. I add a drizzle of olive oil and pepperoni. Sometimes anchovies.

by Anonymousreply 87February 15, 2024 11:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!