Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tuna salad

Hellman's mayo and good quality tuna. Add lemon juice, fresh dill, and a little red onion. Salt and pepper to taste. That's all you need.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 16, 2023 1:04 AM

I like that recipe, OP. But I also like lots of celery crunch in my tuna salad. In addition, I've added sliced black or kalamata olives on occasion, too.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2023 2:54 AM

Where are the prunes?

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2023 2:55 AM

No lemon juice, no dill, and no red onion.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2023 2:55 AM

Tuna salad is dyke-y.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2023 2:59 AM

Hellman’s mayo, pickle relish, white toast.

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2023 3:00 AM

Tuna is for losers

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2023 3:00 AM

For you whores who like one letter clothing sizes, they do make tuna salad that comes premade in the pouch. When I’m really desperate to be a thin whore, I make it wrapped in lettuce and some tomato. They’re like under 80 calories but taste fairly close to the same old tuna salad you’d make with mayo.

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2023 3:00 AM

Why does Whole Foods make tuna so confusing? Like, what is Skipjack?

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2023 3:01 AM

Chicken of the Sea

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2023 3:03 AM

How does one get that deli taste? Do they use miracle whip?

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2023 3:03 AM

How is this different from the egg salad thread?

Oh yeah, it's not.

Tuna. Mayo. Salt. Pepper. Done.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2023 3:07 AM

No nonnononononooo... all of the above, plus very finely chopped carrots and celery, fennel or caraway seeds and a teaspoon of white wine vinegar. Refrigerate for two hours before serving. It's Best Foods Real Mayo, west of the Rockies, not "Hellman's". An absolute must. Those who use Miracle Whip belong in a trailer park in a Red State during a tornado.

A Tuna Melt must be made with medium or sharp cheddar on sliced sourdough or dill rye, with the outer sides of the bread buttered. The thing has to be heated on both sides in a cast iron frying pan.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2023 3:14 AM

You need to add prunes. THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2023 3:15 AM

Who the fuck puts carrots and fennel in tuna salad?🤮

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2023 3:18 AM

R14: DL QUEENS, of course...

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2023 3:21 AM

I just bought a can of Genova brand albacore tuna in olive oil. I'm gonna make it the same way I make my mackerel salad:

Mayo, Best Foods

Black pepper

Tabasco sauce

Sweet pickle relish

Triscuit crackers

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2023 3:25 AM

I have done tuna salad with oil packed, where I strain the oil and add some sun dried tomatoes and salt and pepper. Probably could add other mixins like olives or capers, like a Mediterranean style tuna salad without mayo.

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2023 3:27 AM

OP posted Cheryl's douche recipe.

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2023 3:28 AM

Editor!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2023 3:30 AM

In our tuna salad today, we are adding fresh cheddar cheese sauce and French’s French fried onions. This is how we say goodbye to lent.

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2023 3:30 AM

r14, We do. We are a Twee Tuna-eating peoples. Our culture, our Pride.

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2023 3:32 AM

I would add crystal hot sauce, finely chopped pickles, Worcestershire sauce, garlic. I use the same recipe for chicken salad. One time my brother made it with an ahi tuna steak he cut into cubes and fried up. It was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2023 3:33 AM

Need the tang of Miracle Whip. Then diced celery and diced dill pickles. Make sure the pickles are well drained so you don’t get a watery salad. Sometimes I add scallions. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2023 3:36 AM

I dont understand how something that stinks so bad people shovel into their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2023 3:46 AM

[quote] I dont understand how something that stinks so bad people shovel into their mouths.

Straight men do it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2023 3:49 AM

I don’t say this but 97% on here went right to the gutter. What they don’t realize is it shouldn’t smell that way. Maybe they will change their mind after they try a fresher one.

by Anonymousreply 26April 11, 2023 3:50 AM

Lots of corny shawns.

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2023 3:50 AM

My mom just added mayo. She had other things to do besides cook. I cook even less than she did; and since I classify making tuna salad as “cooking” you get a pretty good idea of where I’m at.

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2023 3:51 AM

If it's not albacore, you're trash.

by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2023 3:53 AM

Chunk light tuna in water (well-drained; pressed in a sieve to remove all juice)

white onion, finely diced

celery, finely diced

green bell pepper, finely diced

dill pickle relish, drained

black pepper

dash of Sriracha and/or Catalina dressing

dashes of garlic powder, onion powder, ground celery seed

Miracle Whip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I'm in the mood and if I have some, finely diced green olives with pimentos

Served on white bread, preferably Sourdough.

Cheetos on the side. ;)

by Anonymousreply 30April 11, 2023 5:10 AM

Tuna, mayo, chopped gherkin or sweet pickled cucumber, chopped pickled ginger, green onion, salt, pepper.

by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2023 5:30 AM

r30, I was totally with you.

We were following a path together, hand in hand, to Paradise, our hearts beating in harmony as One.

But then you had to add the fucking Miracle Whip and I lost my boner.

Die in a grease fire now!

by Anonymousreply 32April 11, 2023 5:32 AM

Do any of you make your own Mayo

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2023 5:42 AM

At least non of you said chopped hard boiled egg. I’ve ordered tuna salad that unknowingly had egg in it and had to throw it straight into the garbage,

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2023 6:02 AM

(second try at a reply; the first one vanished into the ether)

R32, I have never made any secret of my position regarding Miracle Whip vs Mayo. I was raised on Miracle Whip, and never sampled real mayonnaise until my mid-twenties. My main observation/objection to it was that it's salty. For that reason alone, to me it has no place in tuna salad.

On occasion, I'll buy a jar of it, just for an odd change of pace, especially if I'm trying out a recipe that specifies its use (in such a case, my brand of choice would probably be Blue Plate). But otherwise I have little use for it.

Mayonnaise comes up periodically on the DL, so much so that it's practically a trope. Here's the current incarnation of the thread (I posted at reply 11):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2023 6:15 AM

R35 addendum:

When I order my usual at Whataburger (Double Meat with cheese, everything on it, add jalapeños to the burger), I also specify 'mayo, no mustard.'

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2023 6:28 AM

Friend's Southern black grandmother called it "Toonta fish" - Now I *only* say toonta, to this day 😂

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2023 6:34 AM

I like my tuna salad to be very wet before I toss then taste it. Dry tuna salad is a horrible experience, even if she was at one time, the ultimate 90’s babe, Pamela Anderson

by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2023 6:38 AM

O PoisonedDragon, our once promising relationship has come to a closure. I hope that your inevitable journey into an early death in the grease fire (Miracle Whip is a known toxic, combustible material) is relatively pain-free.

by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2023 7:32 AM

Corn, when did I eat corn?

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2023 7:45 AM

How many millions of times are we doing this thread?

And it's MIRACLE WHIP for tuna salad, not mayo, you bitches!

by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2023 7:46 AM

Que sera, sera, R39. ;)

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2023 8:07 AM

I hate canned or ouch tuna. (I love fresh tuna.) so I never make or eat tuna salad. I make chicken salad and ham salad though.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2023 9:13 AM

R33, this is DL. Half of the posters eat off paper plates in their basements and the other half handcraft their own China. Of course some make their own mayonnaise, dear!

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2023 9:27 AM

You should Google " What is found in tuna?"

by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2023 9:49 AM

Martha Stewart teaches us the perfectly perfect tuna salad recipe. Take note...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2023 3:00 PM

Mayo, a little Dijon mustard, and relish. Serve on wheat bread with avocado.

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2023 3:05 PM

Split pita, a can of 'Italian' brand(it has a yellow label) tuna in oil, lemon/pepper sprinkle and Trader Joe's™ "Everything But the Bagel,"(there's a local nut and dried fruit business that makes a salt-free version which is even better) Chunk up the tuna on one-half of the pita including all the oil in the can, sprinkle on both of the preceding mixtures. Top with the other pita half. Press firmly to distribute the moisture.

I like the 'Italian' brand tuna because it has a fishier taste, which is how I remember tuna tasting and which I prefer. All the other brands I've tried lack that fishy taste. My reasoning? I think tuna packers are squeezing out all the natural tuna oils in order to re-sell it to pharmaceutical companies that package fish oil supplements.

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2023 3:43 PM

I found tuna salad tastes best when you combine one can of chunk light tun in water with one can of albacore tuna in oil. Or I supposed you could do vice versa as far as which is in water and which is oil, but I like this specific combo.

I've been making this simple tuna recipe from a Disney restaurants cookbook for years:

3 oz chunk light tuna in water

3 oz albacore tuna in oil

1/4 cup mayo

1/4 cup finely diced celery

Dash of lemon juice

Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Dash of white pepper

by Anonymousreply 49April 11, 2023 6:35 PM

Finely chopped pickle, mayo and cracked black pepper.

by Anonymousreply 50April 11, 2023 8:16 PM

OP, the red onion + mayo makes the mixture turn PINK.

by Anonymousreply 51April 11, 2023 8:47 PM

A few shakes of jerk chicken seasoning as well.

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2023 8:47 PM

I always use red onion and my tuna salad has never turned pink.

by Anonymousreply 53April 11, 2023 9:10 PM

[quote] "Do any of you make your own Mayo"

Not for tuna salad, R33. But I DID do it once to.be able to say I've done it. I won't do it again anytime soon. I DO make Hollandaise about three times a year or so, though. Always worth it. Homemade mayo? Not so much (on a regular basis, anyway).

by Anonymousreply 54April 11, 2023 9:19 PM

Hard boiled egg in tuna for this elder, please.

by Anonymousreply 55April 11, 2023 9:34 PM

If it's not Salade Nicoise, it's not "correcte" tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 56April 11, 2023 10:11 PM

For hard boiled egg DLer @r55

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 11, 2023 10:31 PM

One can Albacore drained of all water. Two hard boiled eggs, chopped. Chopped onion. Diced Gerkin. Helman's. Yellow mustard. Plenty of black pepper, no salt. Mix in bowl. Consume it all using a package of Saltines scooping as chips with salsa.

by Anonymousreply 58April 11, 2023 10:43 PM

Relish = sugar.

Never put sugar in or on top of fish. Ugh. Baby taste confederates put sugar in fish,

by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2023 10:43 PM

Blue Plate is best. And that's all I want in my tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 60April 11, 2023 10:51 PM

R59 has never heard of Asia

by Anonymousreply 61April 12, 2023 9:04 PM

[quote]R48/Bronzie: I like the 'Italian' brand tuna because it has a fishier taste, which is how I remember tuna tasting and which I prefer.

Hmm. I have a lifelong loathing for "fishier" tastes; the balance of what I put in tuna salad (see R30) is probably deliberately designed to keep that to a minimum, with other flavors overwhelming it.

[quote]I think tuna packers are squeezing out all the natural tuna oils in order to re-sell it to pharmaceutical companies that package fish oil supplements.

Well then, I get it either way. A fish oil capsule is in my daily/morning pill box. ;)

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2023 11:02 PM

r62 I do a fish oil gelcap daily too. Used to also take flaxseed, but IIRC it's not so good for men, too estrogenic.

Of course there's also that "lovely" MERCURY we get to ingest with our tuna sandwich. Free, and we didn't even have to ask.🤫

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2023 12:18 AM

Tuna, (just drain whichever you prefer), chopped onion, chopped celery, mayo, pepper, salt if you must. On fresh rye bread. Sometimes I have sliced tomato when really ripe, and a crisp bacon slice or two.

by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2023 12:32 AM

That's good, OP, but Duke's mayo is better than Hellman's. I'd add a little black pepper and some celery seed.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2023 1:04 AM

The tiniest little squirt of yellow mustard can add a little zip to mayo-and-tuna salad. Mustard powder also works.

by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2023 1:06 AM

OP- Mayonnaise contains a LOT of salt already. I see no need to add salt to the tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 67April 14, 2023 1:08 AM

What bread are we serving this on? I enjoy tuna on wheat, Jewish rye or a roll (kaiser, hoagie, something chewier than soft). For retro school lunch vibes I might slum it with some white wonder bread -- bonus if you add potato chips to the sandwich.

Potato chips with tuna are a must.

by Anonymousreply 68April 14, 2023 1:09 AM

Only ONE person mentioned green onions?

by Anonymousreply 69April 14, 2023 1:12 AM

What does Erna’s tuna salad recipe have in it?

by Anonymousreply 70April 14, 2023 1:36 AM

I don't know where this chopped raw cooking onion thing comes from either, R69.

by Anonymousreply 71April 14, 2023 2:25 AM

[quote]R69: Only ONE person mentioned green onions?

Two did. R23 said they sometimes add scallions, which is essentially the same thing.

[quote]R31/R71: I don't know where this chopped raw cooking onion thing comes from either

White or red onions aren't necessarily "cooking onions." There's all sorts of uses for them raw.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Colcannon recipe on another thread cooks the green onions with the cabbage or kale.

by Anonymousreply 72April 14, 2023 2:55 AM

I was exaggerating, R72. Green onion is better suited to tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 73April 14, 2023 3:53 AM

In your opinion, R73. Its use in tuna salad does not seem to be popular or widespread.

by Anonymousreply 74April 14, 2023 3:57 AM

Are you kidding?

by Anonymousreply 75April 14, 2023 4:09 AM

Nvm, you wouldn't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 76April 14, 2023 4:10 AM

R75/R76, judging by this thread it's not.

From a texture standpoint, it just doesn't sound good to me.

by Anonymousreply 77April 14, 2023 9:00 AM

Chunk light? What is with all the chunk light? Do you want to stink of fish? I mean, if you do, OK. You do you, as they say.

But if you prefer tuna that doesn’t smell like it’s been sitting under hot lights for 6 hours, it’s solid white all the way. It's much less fishy.

Flake the tuna, add mayonnaise (I like Duke's, but Hellmanns is fine, too). Minced onion and celery. Chopped hard-boiled egg (optional). Salt and pepper. Lemon juice. That's it. No need to gild the lily.

by Anonymousreply 78April 14, 2023 10:04 AM

I use mayo, red onion, celery and lemon zest (not juice which will water it down) and eat it in a pita or crusty bread. I never use dill because that takes over everything you put it in.

by Anonymousreply 79April 14, 2023 10:26 AM

Reporting back on Genova oil-packed albacore tuna. It was pretty good. If I had had lemon, a squeeze of lemon would have been really good.

by Anonymousreply 80April 15, 2023 11:52 PM

Now: Tuna Melt recipes. I was gonna make that tomorrow but can't remember how to make it.

by Anonymousreply 81April 16, 2023 12:01 AM

R81, if only you had access to the internet.

by Anonymousreply 82April 16, 2023 12:02 AM

I have access but I need knowledgeable advice... and save my soul, I trust you guys.

by Anonymousreply 83April 16, 2023 12:04 AM

Too much mercury!

Sardines are healthier, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 84April 16, 2023 12:05 AM

Albacore has more mercury than light tuna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 16, 2023 12:10 AM

Tuna melt: Make your normal tuna salad (whatever that may be). Get a slice of bread, e.g., rye bread. Toast the bread (both sides) light to medium. If you want to kick it up a notch, but some butter in a frying pan and “toast” your bread in the frying pan, both sides.

Spread your tuna salad on one side of the toast. Lay down a slice of cheese. I’m thinking Swiss cheese or Monterey Jack.

Place under broiler or in a toaster oven, top element heat, only.

I would recommend chopped pickles or relish in the tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 86April 16, 2023 1:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!