Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brooke Shields spent 'years' attempting to replace the trophies ex Andre Agassi smashed after watching her 'Friends' episode

Brooke Shields shared more details about her relationship with her ex-husband Andre Agassi and her claim that he smashed all of his trophies after watching her film a guest spot on a season two episode of "Friends."

Appearing on SiriusXM's "The Jess Cagle Show" this week, Shields told Cagle and his cohost Julia Cunningham that she spent "the next couple of years" after the alleged incident trying to get Agassi's trophies replaced because she wanted the kids she believed they'd have in the future "to see their father's achievements."

The "Suddenly Susan" star recalled how she went into "fixer mode" to make Agassi's behavior feel "okay for him," telling herself that as a tennis player, he had no idea how acting worked, and so maybe that's the reason he found it hard to separate Shields from her "Friends" character, an obsessive stalker named Erika.

As previously reported by Insider's Kirsten Acuna, on Shields' episode of "Friends," titled "The One After the Super Bowl Part I," Erika goes on a date with Matt LeBlanc's character, Joey. Erika is a "Days of Our Lives" fan and believes that Joey really is the character he plays on the soap opera.

It all culminates in some hysterical, outlandish finger-licking, which Shields implied in a March interview with The New Yorker was what Agassi reacted to so angrily.

"The extreme sort of behaviors were not dissimilar to what it was like living with an alcoholic and loving an alcoholic," Shields said on "The Jess Cagle Show," possibly referring to her relationship with her mother, Teri Shields, who was her manager and an alcoholic. Teri died in 2012 after many years trying to treat the condition, according to Today.

Shields told Cagle and Cunningham that she was experienced in dealing with someone who had "Jekyll Hyde" personality shifts, so Agassi's behavior "wasn't really scary" to her. In her March interview with The New Yorker, she said she found out later that Agassi's behavior and extreme reaction might've been because he was "addicted to crystal meth at that point."

The couple married in 1997 and were divorced by 1999 — they never had children. She said that relationships like the one she had with Agassi reinforced the idea she had that "when you give your heart away, you get hurt."

A representative for Agassi did not immediately respond to Insider's previous request for comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 10, 2023 7:31 PM

I didn't know that Agassi was hooked on meth.

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2023 2:58 AM

I for one am so fucking grateful for the daily updates on Brooke Shields news.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2023 3:00 AM

I’ve had similar reactions watching Friends episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2023 3:02 AM

Agassi screams INSECURE MAN WITH A TINY DICK!

Whatever happened to him, any way?

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2023 3:04 AM

I’m watching that doc. Christ, her mother would be crucified and locked up today, along with all the pedo photographers and directors who exploited her. It’s so odd how she comes off as not feeling, or at least not admitting, how exploited she really was. Being photographed nude at age 9, dolled up like a hooker - and then a judge allowing the photos to get printed? Mary!

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2023 3:05 AM

[quote] I’m watching that doc. Christ, her mother would be crucified and locked up today, along with all the pedo photographers and directors who exploited her.

At least she didn't end up dead in a pool of her own piss and shit, like I did.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2023 3:06 AM

She talks about him during this podcast. They no longer speak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2023 3:08 AM

Another hot head male tennis player remember McEnroe?

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2023 3:12 AM

Married a whole two years ?

In their youth, both Brooke and Liza were catnip to gay males.

And André has pinged forever

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2023 3:13 AM

I've read a couple of recent interviews with her and she comes across as surprisingly intelligent and grounded. I can't reconcile it with her trying to make a marriage with a drug addict work.

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2023 3:14 AM

Was André a pass-around parTy bottom?

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2023 3:21 AM

From what I recall hearing at the time, their marriage came undone because she wanted kids and he told her he didn't, but then after they break up, he marries Steffi Graf and they immediately start having kids. If true, that would suggest that it really wasn't that he didn't want kids, he just didn't want to have them with Brooke.

Thankfully, she was able to move on and have a nice life without him.

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2023 3:21 AM

I had no idea that Andre Agassi dated Barbra Streisand!!!

Was that real??

And where are you people getting that he's gay? He has only ever been linked with women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2023 3:22 AM

Okay, great Brooke. Thanks. Can you shut the fuck up now?

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2023 3:25 AM

Andre and Steffi's 22 year old son Jaden Gil is a cute twink!

He looks a lot like his mother. Hopefully, he won't lose his hair like his father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2023 3:26 AM

Will someone please ask Brooke's opinion on Megan Markle?

Inquiring DLers need to know!

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2023 3:26 AM

Of course he dated Streisand.

Why no mention of Susan Sarandon when talking about Pretty Baby? She slapped Brooke for real while filming!

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2023 3:27 AM

Streisand !

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2023 3:30 AM

The photos of the two of them are… something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2023 3:33 AM

Agassi doesn't look well.

by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2023 3:37 AM

I for one want to know what Brooke thinks about our dear Paul Mescal, and whether or not she thinks he has yellow skin and/or a womanly ass.

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2023 3:41 AM

I’ve dealt with Andre Agassi, professionally. He’s the phoniest, most hollow and most lost “success story” ever. Just zero grounding or authenticity on any front, including his sexuality, of anybody you’d ever meet. The late-stage Saint Andre routine with the philanthropy and the Steffi Graf marriage. It’s all pitiful and just generally uncomfortable to be around.

by Anonymousreply 22April 9, 2023 3:41 AM

[quote]Whatever happened to him, any way?

A pretty typical trajectory for an elite pro athlete. He had a great career (including a late-career resurgence), and then he was getting older and having physical issues and he retired in his late thirties. He published a memoir—actually a very good one, with the same ghostwriter who did the honors for Prince Harry recently—and then he went into coaching with the occasional old-timer exhibition match. I think he's done some broadcasting as well. He has a family with Steffi Graf.

by Anonymousreply 23April 9, 2023 3:47 AM

She comes off a bit odd in the doc-----she's bright and grew-up having to compartmentalize so there was a lot she had to wall-off. The mother gets off easy although Brooks (and Laura Linney) make her sound like absolute hell. Shields obviously spent lots of time in therapy and there's almost too much disclosure which makes me wonder how much she's really been able to move on with her life. It's clear that she still makes excuses for people who did horrible, sometimes bizarre things to her. Her daughters seem more worldly and free spirited than she was---they also seem a little bratty. The husband only appears once and gives oof an odd vibe---I wonder if he's as controlling as so many other figures in her life.

by Anonymousreply 24April 9, 2023 3:49 AM

I have also dealt with him in a job that I had in tennis. Not a nice person, catered to so much he became a nightmare. Not all sports people are like that, I feel bad for her, she just married the wrong person. Apparently she has a high iq but not so much common sense.

by Anonymousreply 25April 9, 2023 3:50 AM

R19 he looks like British soap actor Ross Kemp!

by Anonymousreply 26April 9, 2023 3:52 AM

Why in the living hell should anybody care about a relationship between two dimwits that ended in 1999? Evidently Brooke Shield's need for publicity is pathological.

by Anonymousreply 27April 9, 2023 3:55 AM

R14 = A. Agassi

by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2023 3:59 AM

[quote] Apparently she has a high iq but not so much common sense.

Who are you talking about? Surely not Brooke Shields. She seems dumb as a rock, always did. Nothing but air between her ears.

by Anonymousreply 29April 9, 2023 4:00 AM

r15 Oh my god, I recall flipping a tabloid as a gayling chilling on the beach with my family just as he was born, and I saw one of those shitty computer composites of what he might look like when he grew up. It looked so laughable that it stuck in my memory. But now, looking at his photo, he looks just like that rendering!

by Anonymousreply 30April 9, 2023 4:02 AM

She and Hulu are promoting her new documentary hard, r27. The focus on Agassi makes sense in the context of the doc.

His reaction of smashing all of his trophies is a really weird reaction in response to that scene on Friends. Did her see Brooke as another trophy? She’s lucky her didn’t bash her head in.

And on the subject of the documentary Susan Sarandon and Eric Roberts should be dragged more than Brooke has been about Pretty Baby. They were adults and willing took the role knowing the script called for sexualizing a child.

by Anonymousreply 31April 9, 2023 4:07 AM

[quote] Who are you talking about? Surely not Brooke Shields. She seems dumb as a rock, always did. Nothing but air between her ears.

She actually did very well at Princeton. LIFE Magazine published her grades when she graduated, and she got mostly As during her time there.

by Anonymousreply 32April 9, 2023 4:13 AM

[quote]her "Friends" character, an obsessive stalker named Erika.

To me, that character actually seemed seriously mentally ill to the point of psychosis, so the storyline wasn't actually funny. The audience guffawed anyway.

by Anonymousreply 33April 9, 2023 4:14 AM

How does one do meth, & play tennis professionally?

Glad she got away from him. He sounds like an abusive asshole.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2023 4:14 AM

[quote] And on the subject of the documentary Susan Sarandon and Eric Roberts should be dragged more than Brooke has been about Pretty Baby. They were adults and willing took the role knowing the script called for sexualizing a child.

Eric Roberts wasn't in "Pretty Baby."

by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2023 4:18 AM

[quote] She actually did very well at Princeton. LIFE Magazine published her grades when she graduated, and she got mostly As during her time there.

She was allowed to graduate without the requisite math and science courses usually required. Why was that? Probably because Princeton wanted to make it easy for the celebrity in their midst.

I knew someone who went to Princeton and some some inside knowledge. Her SAT scores were low, but she was accepted at Princeton, anyway. By the way, what education did she get before she went to Princeton? Correspondence courses? I mean, how could she have gone to school since she was modeling from the time she was an infant and appearing in movies and tv appearances by age 11 or 12? Where would she have had time for an education? Education didn't seem big on her mother's list of priorities.

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2023 4:23 AM

I've never liked Agassi. Brooke was too good for him.

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote]And on the subject of the documentary Susan Sarandon and Eric Roberts should be dragged more than Brooke has been about Pretty Baby.

Eric Roberts wasn't in Pretty Baby. You might be thinking of King of the Gypsies.

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2023 4:38 AM

R35 and R38 you are right. I meant Keith Carradine. Eric Roberts and Sarandon were in King of the Gypsies together.

As for her schooling she was at the same school as Laura Linney at some point.

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2023 4:46 AM

Eric Roberts was a very good actor before all the crazy.

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2023 4:49 AM

Did she talk about Michael Jackson at all in this documentary? He was evidently a big part of her life for a while.

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2023 4:54 AM

It's a shame they never reconciled, whoever is to blame for it.

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2023 4:58 AM

I've always liked Brooke Shields, and glad she's putting her side of the story out there. She's a good person, a sweet girl, just had some real stinkpots in her life, but has managed to move on and build a life for herself. Life is sometimes messy, but Brooke found a way to tidy things up and find happiness. Keep talking Brookie 👄, we are all loving it on DataLounge. 😀

by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2023 5:01 AM

What about her date with George Michael? Did she mention that George was the one she wanted to take her virginity, but for some reason, that didn't happen!

by Anonymousreply 44April 9, 2023 5:01 AM

She couldn't emulate Foster's career because she wasn't as talented. And was a different type. Jodie was never a sex kitten. She was not a traditional leading lady like a Julia Roberts when she was active a the same time. Should would choose dark dramas the pretty girls pass on.

by Anonymousreply 45April 9, 2023 5:03 AM

George Michael was getting busy in the men's room

by Anonymousreply 46April 9, 2023 5:04 AM

Yes r41. They were friends and he used to call the paps when they would be out together. There was a clip of Michael Jackson telling a reporter that he was dating Brooke and she was upset because she was in a relationship with Dean Cain at the time. She said she had to ask him to stop doing that. They lost touch after that.

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2023 5:04 AM

R33 MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2023 5:19 AM

André had a really horrible dad. From his biography

“Agassi calls his father "violent by nature", and recalls being in the car when his father pointed a handgun at another driver.

• He writes about making money by hustling people on tennis courts and remembers when, at nine years old, he beat former NFL great Jim Brown in a match to win a $US500 bet for his father.

• He poignantly recalls a telephone conversation with his father after winning Grand Slam title No.1 at Wimbledon in 1992. Dad's initial reaction? "You had no business losing that fourth set," Agassi writes.

• He writes about using crystal meth "a lot" and in sometimes-positive terms, including reference to "a tidal wave of euphoria that sweeps away every negative thought in my head. I've never felt so alive, so hopeful — and I've never felt such energy."

"Apart from the buzz of getting high," he says, "I get an undeniable satisfaction from harming myself and shortening my career," he writes. But the physical aftermath is hideous. After two days of being high, of not sleeping, I'm an alien. I have the audacity to wonder why I feel so rotten. I'm an athlete, my body should be able to handle this."

by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2023 5:31 AM

Her movie career evaporated after she wasn't the teen sex symbol anymore. She just wasn't talented enough to evolve into a mature actress. She did tv movies after that.

I remember she went on a highly publicized "date" with...John Travolta! I saw a picture of them in a limo and the tabloid headline screamed "When the Pretty Baby Met The Urban Cowboy It Was Endless Love!" They both had new movies out at the time, so I guess it was all publicity. Brookie always loved the publicity.

by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2023 5:31 AM

A remember when Agassi was the hot new thing in tennis and Barbra Streisand gushing over him like an old fool, saying he played like a "Zen master."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2023 5:33 AM

I really enjoyed the doc. I came out of it really liking Brooke. She is a bit aloof generally but I think she is intelligent and I appreciated her talking about post partum depression. My sister dealt with this as a lot of women do but it was not widely discussed then and she helped make more people aware of it. Andre seems unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2023 5:40 AM

[quote] I’ve dealt with Andre Agassi, professionally. He’s the phoniest, most hollow and most lost “success story” ever. Just zero grounding or authenticity on any front, including his sexuality, of anybody you’d ever meet.

OMG please share more, R22.

I would love to hear more details about your experiences being around Agassi.

Especially about his sexuality.

I have never heard of him being anything but straight.

by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2023 5:53 AM

Brooke Shields went to Dwight-Englewood Country Day in New Jersey for high school.

Other famous grads include Mira Sorvino, Lesley Gore, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, and Secretary of State Dwight Schultz.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2023 6:31 AM

Like McEnroe and Sampras, who also married actresses, I think probably Agassi wanted Brooke to basically give up her career like Tatum O'Neal did for McEnroe and Bridgette Wilson would later do for Pete.

It's almost a requirement that a player at the very top of the sport be completely self-centered, and I'm sure Agassi didn't appreciate anything that took the focus off of him.

In his book, he was more or less kind to her, but he also sort of implied that Brooke was this superficial Hollywood type, obsessed with her image and going to premieres and parties, and he was oh-so-above all that.

One thing she did to for him and for which she should be forever grateful, was getting him to ditch the wig and just go bald. It didn't look too bad, but it interfered with his tennis.

His older brother Phillip Agassi, who toured with him in his early days, was reportedly a really nasty piece of work, as was their father, so it's not all that surprising that he's an asshole too.

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2023 6:54 AM

[quote]Eric Roberts was a very good actor before all the crazy.

Yeah, at one time, he looked like the next great American leading man, but he started saying yes to seemingly anything, no matter how low-grade (I'm sure drug problems played a part). His performances got more mannered and lazy, and he got typecast as psychos and crime bosses. But he still works constantly, and the talent is still there when he has a good role.

by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2023 7:40 AM

[quote]Okay, great Brooke. Thanks. Can you shut the fuck up now?

You may have noticed one or both of her daughters accompanying her on these interviews. That's because she's trying to jumpstart her careers of her nepobaby daughters. One wants to be a journalist and the other wants to be a model.

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2023 7:41 AM

As a couple of other posters here have noted, Agassi's father was incredibly abusive. A number of years ago there was a lengthy piece in the NY Times (Sunday magazine I think) abut Andre and Steffi and the life they had created for themselves and the children in Vegas. Graaf is as damaged as Agassi - her father is another adult who lived out their failed dreams of super-stardom through a talented child - it's really quite something that they have settled down, quietly raised children who do not seem to the train wrecks - like the spawn of so many other celebrities. I give Steffi, Andre, Brooke and other child athletes and actors a lot of credit for finding their way into an adulthood with a long term spouse and children who are not (yet) tabloid fodder.

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2023 9:47 AM

Did Andre ever beat her?

by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2023 1:08 PM

Agassi is a big fat person now.

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2023 1:19 PM

Only on the tennis court, R59!

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2023 1:19 PM

Big fat bald rich person.

by Anonymousreply 62April 9, 2023 1:20 PM

Is he rich though, R62?

Steffi Graf's mom, brother, and four nieces and nephews live with Andre and Steffi in one house.

That sounds kind of ghetto, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 63April 9, 2023 1:24 PM

Between the two of them they surely are loaded.

by Anonymousreply 64April 9, 2023 1:27 PM

There is an apocryphal story out there that, following a victory, a young Agassi was asked how he was feeling, and he replied "I'm as happy as a faggot in a submarine!".

There is no actual, concrete evidence that he ever said it, and it has been stated that he said it at the U.S. Open, at the French Open, or at a smaller tournament. Some reports have him saying it as late as 2005 (which is a year before he retired), while others attribute it to when he was an up-and-comer. It's like his version of the Donna Summer "Adam and Steve" comment.

However, I think I remember Brooke saying that Andre was indeed rather homophobic, and that that was one of the reasons she was no longer married to him.

by Anonymousreply 65April 9, 2023 6:07 PM

She came off as really dumb and superficial in Agassi's book. It seems like they got together because they were both hot and famous.

by Anonymousreply 66April 9, 2023 6:48 PM

Pretty Baby & King of the Gypsies both were released in 1978. Brooke & Susan Sarandon were daughter/mother in both films. Eric Roberts was the brother/son although he was only 10 years younger than Sarandon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 9, 2023 7:29 PM

Brooke is also 5 years older than Agassi. She mentions in the Mark Maron podcast about the arrested development that she and Michael Jackson both had. She seems very pragmatic & self-aware.

by Anonymousreply 68April 9, 2023 7:33 PM

She really is a great comedic actress. I kind of wonder if producers just never really knew what to do with her. I had no idea she has 3 kids.

by Anonymousreply 69April 9, 2023 9:09 PM

It wasn't like the way Brooke was marketed/exploited went unnoticed during her heyday. It was commented on by the public and the press. I remember because I grew up in that era. But she made lots of money for people, so it continued until her career dried up.

by Anonymousreply 70April 9, 2023 9:31 PM

Stop the Brooke Shields troll posts

by Anonymousreply 71April 9, 2023 9:32 PM

Let’s keep bumping this thread for R71. Since he can’t seem to skip over it.

by Anonymousreply 72April 9, 2023 9:40 PM

Stop your incessant BS threads!!

by Anonymousreply 73April 9, 2023 9:50 PM

Stop your incessant bs posts first, R73.

by Anonymousreply 74April 9, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote] Brooke Shields went to Dwight-Englewood Country Day in New Jersey for high school.

How did she find time to do that since she was constantly working and getting her picture taken while out at nightclubs smoozing with all the celebrities? And where did she go to school BEFORE high school? She's never struck me as being an educated person. She always seemed like a COACHED person, someone who was told what to say and do.

by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2023 1:12 AM

In R15's pic the older woman is Heidi Graf, Steffi's mom. She was a buxom broad during Steffi's playing days. She would have been good Bond villain or villain helper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 10, 2023 1:20 AM

One- I'd forgotten she was with Agassi

Two- wow, wow. Brooke is just dishing the tea on her life for the world...

Three-- he was on what?!?!

by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2023 1:35 AM

I haven’t seen the movie yet but she comes across very well on Maron’a podcast. Funny and self aware and relatively intelligent, and says things like “you can’t have it both ways” which is certainly not a typical “victim hood” way to see things. She also seems to not be too keen on the super righteous puritanical ways of her daughters generation. So there’s a lot more nuance to all of it then I would have expected.

by Anonymousreply 78April 10, 2023 1:42 AM

R30, I remember seeing a charcoal sketch in a teen magazine - back in about 1983! - of what Brooke would look like in the future and their rendering looked like Golda Meir or Aunt Bea.

My hand to god, I always remembered that!

by Anonymousreply 79April 10, 2023 2:26 AM

R76, I’m cracking up at that photo, imagining what my mother would say. “They look fresh off the boat. Foreigners!”

(Her father was second generation, her mother was DAR.)

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2023 2:29 AM

[quote] She came off as really dumb and superficial in Agassi's book. It seems like they got together because they were both hot and famous.

That seems to sum it up pretty well. I'm sure Agassi is telling the truth about her. He doesn't make himself out to be an angel, either; he's pretty honest about his own shortcomings.

They seemed incredibly mismatched. I guess it seemed right at the time. They both considered the other a trophy. That's quite a superficial reason to marry somebody but it was the 80s. All that mattered was looks and money She was the beautiful mode/actress, he was the hot young tennis player; it was a shallow 80s relationship that of course wouldn't last.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2023 3:12 AM

Also, R81. A common theme in the Brooke interviews I've heard recently, is that between her mom and the general chaotic nature of her life being a young star, she liked structure and rules to some degree. She says that Agassi came a long at the perfect time - when she felt like things were spiraling a bit - both with her mom and financially. She said she liked that he could just take care of things or have them taken care of by his team. He was a professional athlete, used to routine, used to getting things done. She says that her and her mom had a lot of properties at the time but the cash situation wasn't great and Agassi helped her sell some of the properties. Just got it done.

by Anonymousreply 82April 10, 2023 3:18 AM

R82 that acdtually seems very practical on Brooke's part.

Unfortunately, she had to deal with a man who is both batshit crazy AND on meth.

by Anonymousreply 83April 10, 2023 6:04 PM

R81 she said (I didn’t know this was an old trick, btw) that Agassi showed Brooke all the passages on her, ostensibly for approval, but then came back to her and said “he couldn’t change it because that’s not how he remembered it.” She said that’s an old publishing trick so the author can say “I showed it to so and so before going to press.” Why she wasn’t aware of it after upteen years in the business is a mystery, but I wasn’t. It’s a pretty dirty trick.

by Anonymousreply 84April 10, 2023 7:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!