Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Talk about Hawaiian Cuisine

I've developed a taste for Hawaiian food in recent years, and it's hard to find on the mainland but quite worth it.

Who here enjoys it?

Common dishes include:

-Macaroni Salad (the essential Hawaiian starch)

-Chicken/Pork Tonkatsu (like Japanese Shake-and-Bake)

-Flame-broiled pork

-Loco Moco (white rice, topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, gravy, and maybe grilled onions/pineapple)

-Spam (the essential protein of the Islands)

-Poke bowl

-Hawaiian Sun canned juice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2023 11:47 AM

It’s all about Aloha Maid.

Hawaiian cuisine is just a mish mosh of Asian cuisine: pork, rice, fish. I get the hankering for it from time to time. Chicken lau lau (when done right!) is fab and of course can’t go wrong with kailua pork.

But macaroni salad and a burger patty with mushroom gravy (loco moco) on it isn’t really some haute, ethnically special, cuisine. That’s white people food.

Poke is fabulous, though. When I think Hawaii I think fresh poke. Mmm. Grab it from Foodland or even a Don Quijote. 🤌🏻 And then there’s mac nut on everything. And lilikoi desserts. Hell yeah.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2023 2:18 PM

OP, your list is, without exception, revolting,

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2023 2:40 PM

Loved Kailua Pork when I visited Hawaii last year. Found a couple recipes when I returned home and tried them out, but haven’t done it again for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2023 2:54 PM

KALUA pork, not Kailua.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2023 2:55 PM

OP is haole Greg.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2023 2:58 PM

There's a reason why they are fat.

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2023 3:06 PM

So you know of no indigenous cuisine whatsoever, OP? Captain Cook sailed up in the 18th century and found a bunch of people eating canned meat and macaroni salad?

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2023 3:17 PM

More breadfruit, Princess?

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2023 3:19 PM

I don't like sand in my overcooked pit pork, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2023 3:19 PM

Love it. Kalua pork (usually served with cabbage), chicken katsu, island fried chicken (smaller fried, deboned thigh pieces, lightly breaded), teri short ribs or beef, poke, potato mac salad, spam musubi, loco moco, teriyaki chicken or beef, fried rice with fish loaf or bacon or pork - yum. I've had taro as well, poi is a little weird. I love the asian cabbage slaw too. I don't eat much of the rice or the steamed rice, because carbs, but I will make an exception for the mac salad. Mmm hmm, thick thighs here I stay.

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2023 3:22 PM

Top ten dishes you must try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2023 3:31 PM

When I lived in Honolulu, I used to go to the Columbia Inn, a local restaurant not far from Waikiki, where I’d get my favorite Hawaiian dish: fried Saimin.

I also enjoyed regular Saimin, a soup of fish broth with ramin noodles, strips of Spam, egg, and slices of this rubbery stuff, colored white with a spiral of pink Day-Glo.

I miss that.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2023 4:42 PM

I remember seeing Saimin (and rice) on the menu at McDonald's in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2023 4:43 PM

Update to [R12]: The Columbia Inn, originally opened in 1941, finally closed in 2001.

Great place for local food and people.

It is missed.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2023 4:47 PM

Puka Dog!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2023 4:52 PM

There's a Hawaiian coconut pudding that is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2023 4:52 PM

𝕋𝕀𝕂𝕀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2023 4:56 PM

Hawaiian meat servings are generous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2023 4:57 PM

Poi tastes like library paste.

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2023 5:14 PM

Poke is great.

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2023 5:20 PM

Haupia r16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2023 5:21 PM

some of the best japanese food I've ever had

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2023 5:29 PM

R21, thanks! That's what I tried.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2023 5:40 PM

Preach, R2.

R7 is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2023 6:01 PM

[quote] -Spam (the essential protein of the Islands)

Meat from a can is their essential protein…?

I’m not doubting you, it just seems odd.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2023 6:14 PM

Odd, but true r25. It is served in just about every bento you order.

Spam fried rice is really popular and surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2023 6:26 PM

Does this make my ass look big?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2023 6:39 PM

>>>>Spam (the essential protein of the Islands)

Thank God for that, we're off the menu!

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2023 7:12 PM

SPAM is the only food that is cooked after it is canned.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2023 7:17 PM

I just put on 5 lbs. of blubber just reading OP's list.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2023 8:25 PM

R29 ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2023 8:30 PM

I love Hawaiian Pizza

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2023 8:57 PM

Is Hawaiian pizza really Hawaiian?

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2023 11:54 PM

Huli Huli Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2023 10:29 AM

Loco Moco is basically the Japanese hanbāgu, but with an egg added on top. I make hanbāgu regularly, also a seasoned ground pork patty with grilled pineapple on the side, though I cut it with ground chicken so it's probably not that authentic as far as modern Hawaiian post-contact food goes.

Spam really is a staple on the island (my partner's family is from there) but I never developed a taste for it.

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2023 10:46 AM

Can someone give a history of how spam became a staple in Hawaii? Is it due to the lack of local meat sources?

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2023 11:21 AM

Yes, R36. They can keep pigs and chickens, but not cows. So Spam and canned corned beef took over.

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2023 11:30 AM

R36, from wikipedia:

The difficulty of delivering fresh meat to the front during World War II saw Spam become a ubiquitous part of the U.S. soldier's diet.

During World War II and the occupations that followed, Spam was introduced into Guam, Hawaii, Okinawa, the Philippines, and other islands in the Pacific. Immediately absorbed into native diets, it has become a unique part of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Pacific islands.[12]

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2023 11:39 AM

Disgusting, Asian whale food.

by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2023 11:45 AM

I like spam. It was a part of the diet in the rural South when I was a boy. Probably due to the poverty of the region and a holdover from WW II practice. I bought some during lockdown in case meat disappeared. I love the taste for nostalgia sake but it’s too salty for me now. I think I even tried a reduced sodium version.

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2023 11:45 AM

People who refuse to eat pork but happily eat other meat are mentally ill, like R39.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2023 2:11 AM

Hawaiian pizza is from Canada.

[quote]They can keep pigs and chickens, but not cows.

The 9th-largest cattle ranch (Parker Ranch) in the US is on the Big Island.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2023 3:43 AM

It’s for sale, or was.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2023 11:49 AM

The most memorable taste I took away from Hawaii was a mouth full of racial abuse from a couple of locals.

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2023 11:53 AM

Sad but true r44.

Aloha is just the name of an airline.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2023 11:56 AM

Hawaiian Punch

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2023 12:28 PM

Much of the "Hawaiian" food is actually Portuguese or Japanese..

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2023 4:31 PM

Hawaiian cuisine is a fusion of Polynesian, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Filipinos, and Portuguese. Oh, and Spam from American GIs.

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2023 4:40 PM

I was in Hawaii 6 months ago, and had real trouble finding good vegetarian food. I ended up breaking training and just getting fish, a fried fish plate lunch or a bowls of poke, there didn't seem to be much else available for a person who wanted to eat on the go. Even the plate lunch near me only had the fried noodle plate lunch as the meatless option, and a meal of fried noodles, rice, and macaroni salad is too carby even for me!

So, what to look for next time?

by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2023 4:51 PM

Honolulu was where I was introduced to coffee jello. Yum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2023 5:59 PM

I like how brown rice is an option at every meal even breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2023 9:54 PM

R45 - Glad I’m not the only one who feels that way. Fuck that racist one-horse town.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2023 1:04 AM

Where can an haole find some good pu pu?

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2023 11:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!