Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

There are 1246 episodes.

Dark Shadows certainly started off slow. I am on episode. 59 and absolutely nothing has happened really. How did a show like this stay on the air before the vampire arrived?

by Anonymousreply 270June 3, 2023 1:45 AM

Have you met The Phoenix yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2023 5:37 PM

That's my favorite time period of DS. I loved the focus on Victoria Winters and the dysfunctional Collins family. I still watched after Barnabas arrived, but I thought he was awful and I hated how he took over the show.

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2023 5:39 PM

The show doesn't get going at all until the Phoenix storyline, and then things move really quickly after that. Before then they just wanted the show to be Gothic with nothing supernatural in it, but they quickly learned that meant nothing was happening, so they decided to make the show more overtly supernatural with the Phoenix. But until then it's a long slog.

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2023 5:39 PM

ABC didn't have anything to put in its place, so it just stayed on the air.

Barnabas was only supposed to be on for a short story line and the DS was going to be off!

Barnabas saved the show!

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2023 5:54 PM

What episode does the Phoenix storyline start?

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2023 5:56 PM

What a bizarre question, r5. How should we know?

Do some digging on-line. We're not an information service.

by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2023 6:06 PM

She checks in at #123, r5.

Save the cuntery for the first response, r6. It’s a rather slow start to her full supernatural self, but the clues are there from the get-go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2023 7:47 PM

I actually really enjoy these early episodes. More atmospheric and less silly than the later episodes. David is a total monster along the lines of Damien! They tone him down a lot as time goes on.

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2023 7:50 PM

Thanks R7 👍

Fuck you R6 you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2023 8:23 PM

OP, have you been to The Old House yet?

There is some business with ghosts and a secret room there. They even show a lady ghost racing around OUTSIDE. No spoilers!

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2023 8:35 PM

Did they preserve every episode? If so that's impressive for an older serial. A lot of times television stations misplace or destroy old tapes due to lack of care. I don't even think Dr. Who had all of its episodes preserved. If it was before tape broadcast like in the 1940s and early 1950s, forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2023 12:41 AM

Yes, but a couple exist only from the old kinescope copies. They’re grainy but comprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2023 2:14 AM

^.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2023 2:15 AM

The early episodes move at a glacial pace, but there is something hypnotic, almost surreal, about them.

Also, soaps at that is understood that their audience only tuned in few times a week, so a lot of the episodes included repetitive dialogue that was intended as a recap in case viewers had missed the day or two before.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2023 2:26 AM

I’ve been watching it on Tubi. It really went downhill when Vicky left. It still amazes me that Barnabas was a teen idol. He was so unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2023 2:45 AM

I started watching it recently as well, via YouTube, and am approaching the introduction of color in August 1967.

Agreed, there is something about the earlier, glacial episodes that works well, before the terror becomes defined. (The Burke Devlin character is a little overused and overwrought, but still the early episodes through most of The Phoenix period are the best.

My childhood memories favored the poking around in cemeteries and the mausoleum at night, but not as an adult. I also enjoyed The Blue Whale scenes and the Orson Welles-like voice of character Sam Evans -- in this case both when I was a child and now.

I love the opening narration from Elizabeth Winters.

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2023 3:11 AM

Victoria Winters.

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2023 8:36 AM

Of course. Cheers, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2023 8:45 AM

Pluto runs a 24/7 Dark Shadows channel and it's a lot fun to just pop into various episodes.

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2023 8:49 AM

🐳

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2023 8:55 AM

^ I want to see the B-52s perform at the Blue Whale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2023 12:05 PM

Josette’s ghost is at ep 70.

It’s a good, albeit brief, storyline and an intro to a character who figures heavily in the series lore.

Then there’s a lull before The Phoenix.

And another lull before Barnabas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2023 12:13 PM

Do the movies work as stand-alone pieces, or do you have to be a hardcore buff to understand them?

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2023 12:21 PM

They work as stand-alone pieces, but aren't very good.

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2023 12:39 PM

In our household one of our lines said sporadically as a joke is borrowed from Elizabeth Stoddard Collins and goes as, "I want to talk to you."

A verbose scene in the library usually ensued after that line and the very measured, careful shutting of the double doors that that effectively sealed off that room.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2023 12:49 PM

[quote]Do the movies work as stand-alone pieces, or do you have to be a hardcore buff to understand them?

Agreed with R24 that they stand alone and also that they are quite different from the series and not very good. You won't have spoiled anything if you were to watch the films first, they are so different in focus, pace, and mood.

House of Dark Shadows (1970) was filmed concurrent with the TV series and Night of Dark Shadows (1971) was done after the series had stopped. Both were filmed at Lyndhurst, the mid-19th Century Gothic Revival mansion on the Hudson River in Tarryton, NY. If nothing else, the house --and it's a splendid one-- is by far the best Collinwood ever, and includes scenes of the then ruined 19th Century greenhouses and grounds. The house was owned by of financier Jay Gould from about 1880 and is now a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. It's been a location for many films, including ̈́'Newport, Rhode Island" interiors from Reversal of Fortune.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2023 2:19 PM

I like how they would use a big build up line of dialog and then have a music sting....and then go to commercial.

And then EVERY FUCKING TIME this would happen after the commercial:

Dr. Hoffman: Did you say Caroline was now a vampire?

Roger: Yes, but never mind about that now - let's talk about the old house.

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2023 7:51 PM

Like R19 I watch the PLUTO Dark Shadows channel.

My favorites are when they go to the past and Joe Haskell (Joel Crothers) wears his Revolutionary War tight pants.

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2023 7:53 PM

The scene from r22, with the ghost of Josette descending from her portrait before running around outside as a glowing, hazy apparition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2023 7:55 PM

For r28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2023 7:58 PM

The kid who played Davey Collins was an interesting child actor. He was for a long time paired on the show with Denise Nickerson, who played his friend Amy--later she went on to play Violet in WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and one of the Short Circus on THE ELECTRIC COMPANY. She was the first choice to play Regan in THE EXORCIST but her parents wouldn't let her do it.

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2023 8:03 PM

Denise Nickerson was also in the preposterous Brady Bunch episode when Peter discovers he has a doppelgänger.

She died in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2023 8:30 PM

I loved the pre-Barnabas eps, and who didn't love Vicki Winters? She was great, so were Carolyn and Maggie. The fact that we got to know all these characters before the supernatural took over, only made it better.

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2023 9:18 PM

I bought the entire "coffin" set on Blu-Ray. Magnificent. I watch them while I clean. Downside: about 500 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2023 9:20 PM

I've been working my way thru the whole series each Halloween season over the last few years.

My question to the aficionados: Is the show still worth watching when it gets to the alternate timeline stuff?

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2023 9:57 PM

Thanks so much, R30.

Sigh.....

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2023 10:19 PM

The first pre-Barnabas season is my favorite. A very film noir vibe about it. Don't get me wrong, I love Barn, but when he sort of ate the show they dropped a lot of promising stories, like who in the fuck was Victoria Winters. Who was Betty Hanscombe? And what was the deal with Seaview House. But in the trade we got the fabulous Julia Hoffman, so all is forgiven.

I loved the Laura the Phoenix storyline. And I think Roger's real issue with Burke was that he was fucking Laura instead of him.

by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2023 10:31 PM

I wanted them to resolve Victoria’s origin mysteries just so she’d stop talking about that fucking foundling home.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2023 1:08 AM

I know people who stopped watching The Last of Us because episode two was boring. I wonder how long they would have lasted with DS.

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2023 1:27 AM

^ They wouldn’t have gotten past the first 800.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2023 1:32 AM

I always liked it when Barnabas choked (barely) Julia - his hands weren't even touching her throat. And then she spent the rest of the scene rubbing her neck with her own hands - strangling herself harder than Barnabas ever did.....

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2023 2:40 AM

As I recall, a lot of time in the early episodes was spent mixing/pouring cocktails and answering the phone.

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2023 2:48 AM

The Crown Jewels of Dark Shadows was when Victoria Winters, by way of a seance, went back to the year 1795 and we found out all the secrets of Barnabas and the Collins family. It was fantastic!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2023 2:49 AM

Barnabas was not fond of Julia in the early days of their relationship!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2023 2:54 AM

Barnabas strangled Julia more than anyone else on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2023 2:57 AM

If I had a son like David I would drown him.

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2023 3:39 AM

OP has a little wait before experiencing the wonder of Dr. Julia Hoffman.

She treats Maggie in an insane asylum after a traumatic shock (no spoilers!) before taking up lodging at Collinwood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2023 11:29 AM

Early Joe Haskell - at the outset of the series - is a dreamboat, though the crisp b/w image sometimes isn’t kind with his acne scars.

He reaches peak sexiness in the 1795 storyline playing the randy and duplicitous Lt. Nathan Forbes.

Two sides of a handsome coin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2023 11:56 AM

According to this site, the ratings got a bump with the ghost of Josette running around the grounds of Collinwood, which led them to The Phoenix, which opened the door to Barnabas.

Baby steps into the supernatural.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2023 12:05 PM

The entire film House of Dark Shadows in on YT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2023 1:45 PM

Thanks, R50. It's been 15 or 20 years since I saw it last.

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2023 1:51 PM

"Yes, but a couple exist only from the old kinescope copies. They’re grainy but comprehensible."

I thought one episode near the very end only exists as audio, R12?

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2023 1:54 PM

Bearded, murdered Bill Malloy was the first ghost on DS. I thought he was hot, but I have a type.

He - and his ghost - was fond of singing the sea shanty “What Do You Do with a Drunken Sailor?”

I always added an obscene answer verse in my head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2023 1:59 PM

Correct, r52. It’s on the dvd collection with stills and fan-gathered audio. I have t gotten to that point yet.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2023 2:02 PM

Another fan of Bill Malloy. He and Jose Haskell deserved more screen time in the long run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2023 2:15 PM

Bill Malloy wanted to stick it to Elizabeth so badly. Shame he never got a chance to.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2023 2:43 PM

R34 you mean dvd, right? It’s not had a blu-ray release has it?

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2023 5:40 PM

Can you blu-ray something shot on video?

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2023 5:42 PM

R58 you can but the quality is only as good as the source. The only advantage of putting this show on blu-ray would be the amount of space and discs it would save.

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2023 5:43 PM

A typical day on Dark Shadows. David took a photo of Carolyn and Barnabas and an eerie hanging woman (Victoria Winters) is seen in the background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2023 7:50 PM

R60 is that a spoiler for Victoria Winters?

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2023 7:52 PM

I wish there had been a character named Jose Haskell......he could have been Eddie's evil cousin from Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2023 9:31 PM

It might have lent a twist, R62.

Filthy autocorrect knows what country I'm in (not Mexico) but doesn't care about what country I'm writing about. Worse, I'm too lazy to look before I hit 'post.'

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2023 10:11 PM

Mitch Ryan with his lantern jaw and perpetually angry alpha demeanor was hot as fuck as the original Burke Devlin - a highlight of the early episodes.

Too bad he was such a drunk that he became unemployable. He got sober later, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2023 10:28 PM

My brother with Down syndrome is obsessed with Dark Shadows.

That's the level of intelligence the show was geared to.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2023 10:36 PM

Joanne Woodward, Katharine Hepburn and Jackie Kennedy were all DS lovers. Hepburn worked in Hollywood with Joan Bennett, and had been in plays with Jon Frid. Apparently she'd tune in whenever she could. Imagine Kate doing a guest spot on DS?

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2023 11:36 PM

Now all I see is Jackie on Assistance seated next to r76’s Down Syndrome brother on the couch, both glued to Dark Shadows.

They’re watching Barnabas bricking up Reverend Trask in the cellar. Jackie is covering her eyes.

But she’s peeking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2023 4:33 AM

R50 I watched this last night, and quite enjoyed the atmosphere of it, the visuals and camp qualities.

The story is mostly rubbish and the pacing is off, it stops chugging along in several places. I would lose interest, and then there would be an engaging development or performance and I'd get pulled back in.

This type of romantic gothic horror was already very outdated by 1970, but it kind of works in a Hammeresque way.

The acting was suprisingly mostly strong. Grayson Hall was very good in her part.

The visuals are on par with with some of the better Italian horror flicks of the same era. Joan Bennett seems to playing an early version of her (much more evil) character in Suspiria.

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2023 5:26 AM

I just watched episode 61 and Burke, Sam and Roger Collins had a few drinks.

by Anonymousreply 69April 6, 2023 6:36 AM

Grayson was memorable, to be sure. She sold it, but I think Nancy Barrett and Lara Parker were better actresses, both delivered without being hammy.

by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2023 9:50 AM

Drink every time someone stumbles over their lines.

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2023 9:53 AM

Denise Nickerson was also Miss San Diego in SMILE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2023 10:33 AM

R67. That plot! That episode! I was terrified for weeks, but I still ran home from school to make sure I was ready to watch what’s next.

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2023 10:39 AM

The Gilded Age could take a page from Dark Shadows on how to goose up an underperforming soap.

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2023 11:54 AM

OP, you may need to consult this Google Earth map while familiarizing yourself with the local geography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 6, 2023 1:19 PM

Any map that omits the fishing shack is woefully incomplete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2023 1:25 PM

Movie sequel Night of Dark Shadows has a slightly more coherent story, and is a little more artistically accomplished than the first.

More removed from the source material than the first movie?

It's less laggy. It's also not as camp or as scary. The nice soundtrack, and a gorgeous young Kate Jackson help immeasurably.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2023 1:32 PM

Here is some Dark Shadows music along with readings by Jonathon Frid & David Selby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2023 4:37 PM

It says something about the pacing of the early episodes that they spent this much time going over the diagram of an braking system so daddy Bill Malloy could explain a bleeder valve to effete Roger.

Spoiler Alert: David fucked with it so his father would crash his car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2023 5:06 PM

I admire the ambition of the map in R75, but between the omissions and the crazy scale...

Collinwood is bigger than the entire town, yet it has a hospital and a hotel. Is the canning factory not shown? The town seems to have 14 or 16 little fly specks to represent houses - chihuahua houses, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2023 5:35 PM

Another map.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2023 5:52 PM

Still another. This one is hand drawn and harder to read, but feels more appropriately gothic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2023 5:55 PM

R874, are you suggesting a hint of ghosts, or maybe an outright werewolf?

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2023 7:03 PM

My two favorite characters are Julia and Angelique. Julia, because, she is just awesome and Angelique because she was the original Alex Forrest. As the kids say, Barnabas fucked around and found out.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2023 7:08 PM

Yes if Dr Hoffman or Angelique were around - something was bound to happen!

The show was taped at the same time it aired - so the actors rarely got to see themselves, unless they happened to have a day off.

Lara Parker said she would take the subway home and the kids were all afraid her.

ABC eventually built a new studio for them at 433 W 53rd street. There used to be some fan home movies of the kids who would hang out in front and talk to the actors.....hopefully someone can find them on YouTube. I must not be searching correctly.

I think the location now is a bunch of condos.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2023 9:52 PM

For r85.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 7, 2023 1:23 AM

Did anyone ever read any of the novels?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 7, 2023 1:32 AM

The original Dark Shadows studio was in Chelsea? Kind of fitting, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 88April 7, 2023 1:47 AM

On Episode 63 Carolyn and Joe cut a rug at the Blue Whale.

by Anonymousreply 89April 7, 2023 2:15 AM

I belong to a number of Dark Shadows fan groups on Facebook. It still has a huge cult following.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 7, 2023 3:57 AM

Even with her head in a noose, Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters still looked beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 7, 2023 4:00 AM

That first journey into the past was great. It explained how Barnabas became a vampire, and introduced the vivacious Angelique. My favorite scene was when Barnabas walls alive the evil Reverend Trask.

Victoria Winters was the glue that held everything together. When she left, the show just lost something for me.

I read that when Quentin became so popular during the second trip into the past, Jonathan Frid was not at all bothered. They were working him to death prior to David Selby's arrival, and now he was able to get time off.

by Anonymousreply 92April 7, 2023 4:08 AM

R92 Yes, Victoria Winters was very important to the show, especially during the 1795 Storyline!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 7, 2023 4:14 AM

The whole show was Grayson Hall opening and closing doors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 7, 2023 4:18 AM

Collinwood was "property of ABC TV" Who knew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 7, 2023 4:25 AM

Hasta Manana ghouls gotta roast in the oven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 7, 2023 4:36 AM

Dr Julia Hoffman pre med.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 7, 2023 4:37 AM

[quote] There are 1246 episodes.

Last year I considered watching the series and was amazed there were that many episodes. I had no idea

Absolutely no way I could commit to 600 hours for one series.

I do like this bit of Dark Shadows music though. Very simple and pretty melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 7, 2023 4:38 AM

Tubi has 26 seasons. Is that the full run?

I remember my Mom having this on when I came home for lunch as a young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 99April 7, 2023 4:41 AM

Just noticed this. Showing how they did the television theme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 7, 2023 4:46 AM

[quote]Absolutely no way I could commit to 600 hours for one series.

It's a still huge but substantially less 420 hours or so. Watching on YouTube with full credits, the episodes are 20, 21, only sometimes 22 minutes, and if you fast forward through the long end credits, it frees up more days of one's life.

by Anonymousreply 101April 7, 2023 8:39 AM

The hot action in the Collins Fishing Fleet and Cannery office was enough to keep me interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 7, 2023 9:14 AM

R101, the credits, both opening and closing, are integral to my DS experience!

Seriously, the crashing waves at the beginning and the chance to hunt for a prop master wandering into frame at the end are priceless to me, along with the eerie, tone-setting theremin, of course.

At the beginning, there are usually only five actors credited with speaking lines in an episode. The low record that I counted was three.

These linked credits break the record at the high end. It’s the one where we finally find out what happened to Paul Stoddard in the basement. No spoilers for OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 7, 2023 12:23 PM

I do wonder how Alexandra Moltke managed that "and" credit. Wasn't she an unknown when she was hired? I understand Joan Bennet's top billing, but not Alexandra's

by Anonymousreply 104April 7, 2023 12:54 PM

Victoria was the heroine, and did the opening narration for the first year or so. Also, had she wanted to be a huge star, Moltke could have done it. She was talented, beautiful and likable, even if she felt her character became an idiot over time. Moltke came from loads of money, her mother was a Vogue editor. She was connected.

by Anonymousreply 105April 7, 2023 12:59 PM

She even said she’d have come back after having her baby if they’d have let her go bad, like have a vampire arc or something along those lines, but they said absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 106April 7, 2023 1:37 PM

[quote]Did anyone ever read any of the novels?

Yes, and I still have several packed away somewhere.

But even as a kid, I knew that "Barnabas, Quentin and the Serpent," hinging on an Aztec Quetzalcoatl flying around Collinsport (maybe), was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 107April 7, 2023 2:00 PM

I has to look that one up.

it’s real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2023 2:44 PM

[quote], the credits, both opening and closing, are integral to my DS experience!

R103, I agree on the opening/credits which are well constructed and set a great mood, even as I laugh that the same language to describe the cliffs at Collingwood has be heavily reused for the third time in a two week span. The opening and credits are critical.

Watching in spurts of 8 or 12 episodes at a time as I do, I watch the end credits the first couple of times and then check my phone or fast forward for the rest. Your attention is more rapt than mine!

by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2023 2:45 PM

There were THIRTY-THREE novels released during the DS era.

Apparently the writer wanted to resolve Victoria’s origins by making her Barnabas’s daughter, but the producers put their foot down.

It wouldn’t have made sense anyway. Wasn’t Barnabas in the coffin since the 1870s?

The writer, writing under the pseudonym Marilyn Ross, is apparently not a gay, which I found disappointing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2023 2:51 PM

Thanks R86.

I know the most recent Wendy Williams Show episodes were recorded there, so maybe it's still around.

Loved the photos from the fans!

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2023 4:03 PM

The old house at Collinwood stands silent tonight, as if it had just farted and didn't want anyone else to know.

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2023 4:39 PM

They absolutely should have had Moltke back for Parallel Time, and then had Vicki as the Angelique character, a scheming witch married to Quentin and repulsed by Barnabas. The Vicki none of them would want back. That could have been fun.

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2023 4:45 PM

I was a child when Dark Shadows was on. Although it was wildly popular, I was not allowed to watch it. I caught a few episodes here and there. I remember liking Quentin. The series was available on one of my streaming platforms and I started to watch it from the beginning. It was so slow I gave up.

by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2023 4:51 PM

If I watch 3 episodes a day I will be finished with the series in 415 days.

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2023 5:26 PM

Just in time for death, R115 .

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2023 5:28 PM

R114 Skip forward a couple of hundred episodes to when Barnabas shows up.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2023 6:49 PM

While you're waiting for things to heat up on the show, enjoy this 4-minute precis of Dr. Julia Hoffman's most exciting scientific discoveries. Truly one of the *greatest* women doctors in American herstory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2023 9:24 PM

Here is what happened so far?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2023 11:06 PM

R118. Dr Julie Hoffman discovered the cure for cancer in 1967... a brandy.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2023 11:33 PM

Hey! Victoria Winter's was Klas Von Bulow's sidepiece!

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2023 11:54 PM

R121, she had some great moments on the witness stand, too.

by Anonymousreply 122April 8, 2023 12:11 AM

In episode 65 Roger and Sam had a drink at the Blue Whale. Sam had a double.

by Anonymousreply 123April 8, 2023 12:25 AM

Joel Crothers, Jonathan Frid, and Louis Edmonds all got married the same month/year and their wives had their first children within two months of each just over a year later. Frid and Crothers second kids were also born close to each other. Their wives were good friends and the men would joke about how they were lucky to get out of the house and away from the screaming babies.

by Anonymousreply 124April 8, 2023 12:28 AM

Moltke desperately wanted to do other characters like almost every other actor/actress on the show got to do. Although she was the heroine, she felt her character was reduced to always saying "I don't understand what's going on here".

Doing different roles must have been fun for the cast, like Hall going from doctor to countess to gypsy. But even though Bennett and Edmonds played different characters, they were almost always the same type. It struck me funny that Edmonds was so flamboyant in real life, but always played stuffy, uptight guys on DS.

by Anonymousreply 125April 8, 2023 1:01 AM

Vicki even had to be herself in 1795!

by Anonymousreply 126April 8, 2023 1:47 AM

The actors who played Caroline and Sam were married to each other in real life.

by Anonymousreply 127April 8, 2023 2:17 AM

There were Dark Shadows comics?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 8, 2023 3:03 AM

The assassin plants from the comics give r107’s Quetzalcoatl from the novels a run for its money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 8, 2023 3:06 AM

I could wallpaper an entire room with these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 8, 2023 3:18 AM

Here is Jonathan Frid on Merv (not like that, get your mind out of the gutter)

I'm not sure if any of us can grasp just how big this show was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 8, 2023 3:20 AM

R124 Obviously in Parallel Time.

by Anonymousreply 132April 8, 2023 5:38 AM

No wonder Angelique could never get laid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 8, 2023 6:14 AM

I really enjoyed much of the pre-Barnabas DS era, but I will admit that some of it is shockingly slow going.

For those who want to skip the first 209 episodes, this is a very basic primer on what you will have missed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 8, 2023 4:04 PM

Here are some warm reminiscences of the early episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 8, 2023 4:07 PM

Everybody was just so damned hostile to Victoria in those pre-Barnabas episodes.

by Anonymousreply 136April 8, 2023 4:29 PM

R121

I believe she also went out with vicious theater critic John Simon.

by Anonymousreply 137April 8, 2023 5:57 PM

You can get reprints of the comics on Amazon. No idea what the originals would go for.

I guess we can’t link to Amazon now.

by Anonymousreply 138April 8, 2023 6:04 PM

The episodes were often taped out of order.

by Anonymousreply 139April 8, 2023 7:13 PM

They couldn’t have been too far out of order.

I think the episodes aired very shortly after taping. They didn’t have time to fix anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 8, 2023 9:55 PM

R139, I’ve read a lot about the show and I’ve never heard that. DS always had that “desperately trying to finish my term paper at 5 a.m. in the morning” feeling, I don’t think they could write episodes far enough in advance to allow them to be filmed out of order.

by Anonymousreply 141April 8, 2023 10:38 PM

R141 I think you're right.

The only exception was when Barnabas was in the old age makeup.....several of his parts were filmed together so that he didn't have to get into and out of the makeup so much.

The DS episodes were filmed from 3 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. each day - that's when they had access to the ABC tape bank...

by Anonymousreply 142April 8, 2023 10:51 PM

They did a lot of out of order taping when Jonathan Frid was on his tour to promote the show.

by Anonymousreply 143April 8, 2023 11:01 PM

i think the Dark Shadows wiki episode guide notes which eps were shot out of order.

by Anonymousreply 144April 8, 2023 11:20 PM

Just found out the Tubi DS series starts at Episode 210.

by Anonymousreply 145April 9, 2023 12:50 AM

Besides the comic books, if you can, try to find the six-part, gay porn parody called "Darkly Shadowed."

Pt.1: A frustrated, middle-aged Roger Collins is seen polishing off a bottle of brandy, then dozing off by the fireplace and having a flashback-dream of when he and Paul Stoddard were young studs in their 20's, fucking on the downlow behind Liz's back. Surprise! Roger isn't a total bottom and it's a hot flip-fuck.

Pt. 2: Hot ginger daddy-artist, Sam Evans, asks his daughter's young, athletic boyfriend, Joe Haskell, to pose nude for him. During the session, Sam leans-in to adjust the lighting, and a randy Joe touches Sam's inviting bulge, with one thing leading to another.

Pt. 3: While Master Barnabas Collins is putting caged Servant Willie Loomis through obedience training, Reverend Trask is caught spying on them. This leads an angry Barnabas to chain Trask to a fuck machine while Barnabas pile drives Willie right in front of him. (Note: The reaction from drag queen, Dr. Julia Hoffbrauhaus, walking in on this scene is priceless.)

Pt. 4: Unhappy in his marriage to crazy Jenny, young Quentin Collins has taken to having random hookups with 'exotic' men who cruise the local woods. But one night Quentin fucks the wrong guy, because he happens to be jealous Count Petofi's young boyfriend, Aristede. This leads the big fat bear to show Quentin what his world-famous hand is really capable of! ... Actually, it's more like Petofi's very large fist and entire forearm!

Pt. 5: Exceptionally-tall 'creature' Adam, isn't happy with the 5-inch dick he ended up with when he was sewn together, so Willie Loomis and Jeff Clark are enlisted to help Adam find a new donor penis. To do so, they set up a spy-cam in the men's restroom at The Blue Whale. They narrow the potential candidates down to three well-endowed hustlers working the docks and arrange to bring them home to Adam, so that they can test these men during some group action to see how big they get when they're actually hard. SPOILER: Don't worry! No one gets their cock cut off, because when it's all over, Adam decides he's going to be a power bottom. Apparently, the prostate he was given is absofuckinglutely stellar, and Adam discovers he's able to have hands-free orgasms almost at will.

Pt. 6: David Collins FINALLY comes of age, and on his 18th birthday, our resident twink tosses some I Ching sticks, which transport him into the future, where he lands smack dab in the middle of the Collinsport White Party 2015. There, he is immediately befriended by Jeremy Grimes III, who loans David one of his Speedos to wear. This is when we learn that, at some point, Collinsport surpassed Provincetown as New England's premiere gay destination. This time travel experience basically turns into "David's 25 Load Weekend" with all of the guys we've seen in the first five parts getting to take their turn. And no - none of them are related to David, because they're all playing different characters at this point in time. Special guest fucker: Sky Rumson, who may be in his late 60s, but everyone agrees looks 35.

by Anonymousreply 146April 9, 2023 1:41 AM

I'm currently watching the 1897 Storyline where Quentin Collins became wildly popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 9, 2023 3:35 AM

The show reached it's highest ratings during the 1897 story. Which is probably why they kept extending it. It went on too long.

by Anonymousreply 148April 9, 2023 3:37 AM

Barnabas fell in love with Vicky but the feeling wasn't mutual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 9, 2023 3:39 AM

Why did they write Joe Haskell out?

Joel Crothers was really gorgeous at the turn of the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 9, 2023 3:52 AM

Is there a cheap way to get all the episodes including the pre-Barnabas stuff on dvd or digital? Most streamers start at ep210 and the dvd set costs a small fortune!

by Anonymousreply 151April 9, 2023 3:54 AM

You can watch the entire series on soap2day.ac but be prepared to watch Roger Collins have a drink or two.

by Anonymousreply 152April 9, 2023 4:45 AM

Thanks R152

by Anonymousreply 153April 9, 2023 5:21 AM

As mentioned previously, Tubi (a free streamer with commercials) has all of the Dark Shadows episodes from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 154April 9, 2023 7:37 AM

Tubi, Pluto, Freevee, Amazon Prime, peacock (one season, I think) all have or recently offered it in some form...in some countries.

I'm not in the U.S. so I watch it via YouTube (several channels offer it in whole -- 'burntprinz' is the one I use; it's very attentive to the order, and to the including the complete episode, with the first couple hundred having the clapperboard openings - complete with surly announcer.). These channels' Dark Shadows runs are usually organized in subfolders by year.

by Anonymousreply 155April 9, 2023 9:05 AM

R155 you’re a star!

by Anonymousreply 156April 9, 2023 9:59 AM

Ahh, just realized that the first 209 (pre-vampire) episodes are separated into Dark Shadows: The Beginning. So, TUBI and probably others do have all the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 157April 9, 2023 7:18 PM

If you watch DS on Tubi be careful. You might want to make a note of the last episode you watched.

I was up to the Spring of 1970 episodes but I took a break for a few months and when I went to watch it the other day, the show was no longer in my “keep watching” list and I could not resume watching where I left off because I had no idea which episode it was.

by Anonymousreply 158April 9, 2023 11:45 PM

R150 Joel Crothers wanted to leave Dark Shadows and pursue other acting opportunities. His character of Joe was a real cutie pie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 10, 2023 2:37 AM

Hail, hail, the gang's all here! I watch at least 1 episode of Dark Shadows late at night in Tubi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 10, 2023 2:40 AM

Quentin Collins/David Selby was devilishly handsome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161April 10, 2023 2:42 AM

What happened to the DLer who got drunk at night in front of Dark Shadows?

by Anonymousreply 162April 10, 2023 3:44 AM

Grayson Hall was a looker when she was younger.

Also, I did not know she was an Oscar nominee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 10, 2023 7:12 AM

Barnabas got 'im, R162.

by Anonymousreply 164April 10, 2023 8:42 AM

Thread for the DLer drinking himself into a Dark Shadows stupor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 10, 2023 11:25 AM

Crothers wanted to spend more time with his wife and young children. He was hoping to book films that would give him time off, or a primetime series that went on hiatus.

by Anonymousreply 166April 10, 2023 5:52 PM

Joel was tired of the character and wanted Joe to more like Nathan or just more interesting. Joe was kind of like the male Victoria. I believe he left DS and immediately booked Secret Storm, where he played Julian Cannel.

by Anonymousreply 167April 10, 2023 6:01 PM

R28 - Vicki did milk that sob story pretty hard.

by Anonymousreply 168April 10, 2023 10:21 PM

Julia was a fucking ragdoll on that show. EVERY man roughed her over, and she was forever pining after obviously gay men.

by Anonymousreply 169April 10, 2023 10:23 PM

R65 - Lovely. So you're disparaging your brother and thousands of fans you've never met. You must be special.

by Anonymousreply 170April 10, 2023 10:30 PM

Here’s a plea to watch the 200+ episodes before Barnabas turns up in the mausoleum to enthrall Willie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 10, 2023 10:50 PM

R167 he played Ken Stevens on SS, and romanced Barbara Rodell and Stephanie Braxton's characters. Ken was killed off in a plane crash, and then he popped up on Somerset, opposite DS-er Chris Pennock, and Lois Smith and Lois Kibbee.

by Anonymousreply 172April 10, 2023 11:03 PM

[quote] to watch the 200+ episodes before Barnabas turns up in the mausoleum to enthrall Willie.

With the proper technique you can watch the entire series in just several weeks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173April 10, 2023 11:05 PM

The original Willie Loomis (James Hall) was hotter than John Karlen, who was cute but aged like milk.

by Anonymousreply 174April 10, 2023 11:05 PM

Original Willie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 10, 2023 11:29 PM

There should be a Dark Shadows compendium that details the cast changes throughout the run of the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 10, 2023 11:31 PM

I much preferred DS pre-Barnabas.

by Anonymousreply 177April 10, 2023 11:56 PM

"Dark Shadows" found its demographic niche in teenagers coming home from school in time to watch the show at 4 p.m. Eastern/3 p.m. Central.

In 1966 opposite the Edge of Night on CBS and You Don't Say on NBC.

by Anonymousreply 178April 11, 2023 12:22 AM

[quote][R167] he played Ken Stevens on SS, and romanced Barbara Rodell and Stephanie Braxton's characters. Ken was killed off in a plane crash, and then he popped up on Somerset, opposite DS-er Chris Pennock, and Lois Smith and Lois Kibbee.

Thank you for the correction. I have a lot of useless soap info in my brain and it gets jumbled up sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 179April 11, 2023 12:34 AM

Many people assumed that Grayson Hall was a lesbian because of the way she looked and acted. Her second husband nick-named her "Grayson" because he reminded her of an army buddy. Make of that what you want. She also played a lesbian in several movies.

by Anonymousreply 180April 11, 2023 2:28 AM

R180 Grayson wasn't exactly the epitome of a heterosexual woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 11, 2023 2:30 AM

In those days she would have been called a "handsome woman", kind of like Bea Arthur. Grayson had an interesting look and it caught your eye, loved her in Night of the Iguana. And from all accounts she was just a charming lady, she and her husband Sam threw great parties.

by Anonymousreply 182April 11, 2023 2:35 AM

I loved the story that Sam Hall told of writing The Brighter Day. The patriarch was a minister, and Sam would deliberately write nonsensical sermons poor Reverend Dennis would deliver, very few viewers picking up on the contradictions. In one, he had Rev. Dennis advocating for the town tramp to pursue his character's son in law with a, if you want to do it, just go ahead and do it, and face God later. Oh to have seen that!

by Anonymousreply 183April 11, 2023 10:34 AM

Thank you R175 / R176. I couldn't find him online other than more recent photos as an old man. He aged better than Karlen too.

Those photos really don't do him justice. He's far better looking on the screen. I also thought that junior lawyer in love with Victoria was pretty cute in a young Michael York kind of way. Vicki really screwed with that poor guy's heart, that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 184April 11, 2023 11:51 AM

As I'm a dumb fuck who is too young to know about these things (and google ain't helping), can anyone tell me if the music for Dark Shadows was played "live" when they taped the show or was it added on afterwards (and therefore orchestrated I guess)? I can't find out the answer. All I could find is that live soaps used to have live music but obviously Dark Shadows was shot "live on tape" from the very start so was there pre-broadcast post production going on?

by Anonymousreply 185April 11, 2023 11:54 AM

I highly doubt there was any live music involved in the production of that program.

by Anonymousreply 186April 11, 2023 12:01 PM

Joel Crothers was gay. He did not marry a woman and he never had kids. Same with Frid and Edmonds. A delusional poster on this thread keeps mentioning their wives and kids.

Crothers was about to get married due to pressure to appear straight but he died from AIDS before that happened.

by Anonymousreply 187April 11, 2023 12:11 PM

Except that time the Supremes performed at the Blue Whale.

by Anonymousreply 188April 11, 2023 12:11 PM

My mother was addicted to DS. I was only five and I remember having to pretend to be interested in a book instead of secretly watching the show. Jon Frid was a lovely man, described as having perfect manners. He also helped to care for Lois Edmonds when he became bed bound from cancer. A lovely man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 11, 2023 12:13 PM

^Very true. I had dinner with friends at Frid's Village apartment in 1990. He had the portrait, cane and ring nicely displayed. Except for telling him how much my brother loved DS, I never brought it up again. Charming man.

by Anonymousreply 190April 11, 2023 12:14 PM

[quote]Joel Crothers was gay. He did not marry a woman and he never had kids. Same with Frid and Edmonds. A delusional poster on this thread keeps mentioning their wives and kids.

We know. That poster thinks it's "funny" to repeat the misinformation every time Crothers is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 191April 11, 2023 12:19 PM

I was six years old when Dark Shadows first aired. It would not have gone unnoticed but I had a wacky sister-in-law who liked to introduce to exotic things in our backwater semi-Southern town: Myra Breckenridge, the evils of NYC, foreign foods...and Dark Shadows. I watched it faithfully through its run, and the two Dan Curtis films at the end. By 1971, I recall hoping for some reprieve to the show, but probably just as well as my interests were expanding then.

by Anonymousreply 192April 11, 2023 12:26 PM

The infamous 1968 episode when the Doors played the Blue Whale was scrapped and lost forever.

Jim Morrison pulled his dick out of his tight leather pants in mid-song, leaving Joel Crothers, Louis Edmonds, and Jonathan Frid more entranced than any spell Angelique could ever hope to cast.

Carolyn just kept dancing, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 11, 2023 12:39 PM

R185, in the late 60s Dark Shadows, Days of our Lives, The Doctors, Bright Promise, and One Life to Live (I may have missed one or two) were the only soaps with orchestrated music. The other soaps (PG and the CBS shows) used organ music or some kind of synthesized organ music that was played live during the scene.

The orchestrated background music was on a cartridge or an album or something like that and played in the booth during the scene. It was all recorded on to the videotape. Everything was on the videotape. The audio and video.

Soaps, until I think the late 90s, didn't have separate music tracks. This is why it has been tough for old soaps to be rebroadcast (especially the 80s episodes) because the popular music (Top 40, not the original score) that was played can't be separated from the video. It's also one of the reason why some old soap clips get removed from YouTube. Because some music company claims a copyright violation and gets it removed.

Now there is a voice track, a music track, and a sound effects track.

I want to say that Dark Shadows and The Doctors were the only soaps with original background music, created just for those shows, at the time. The others got their music from various music libraries. Days used the Screen Gems library for their music. Robert Cobert who did the music for Dark Shadows also did the music for The Doctors. And if you watch that show, you can hear the similarities between some of the Dark Shadows background music and The Doctors.

Fun Fact: the CBS Soap Love is a Many Splendored thing started out with orchestrated music and switched to organ music in its first year.

by Anonymousreply 194April 11, 2023 12:55 PM

Professor Stokes' interest in Adam seemed very gay to me, lol.

by Anonymousreply 195April 11, 2023 12:56 PM

Many thanks R194

by Anonymousreply 196April 11, 2023 12:57 PM

R194 you are dead on. I loved the DS music cues, and as I hardly paid attention to the credits, never made the Cobert connection with the Drs. - but yes, somewhat eerie music would pop up in Drs. that reminded me of DS.

Y&R, like DS had an album of its themes. The main characters had their own themes, and regular 'mood' themes were also used. The nightime Peyton Place was another that actually pre-dated DS & Y&R for theme music - not just the opening - but the main characters Allison, Connie, Betty and Steven had the most memorable themes. When PP became a daytime re-boot, they used the same themes for that show, too.

by Anonymousreply 197April 11, 2023 1:02 PM

I remember seeing the smoke floating up from his coffin from Barnabas former cigarette habit. Also planes flying in the air during the scenes from the graveyard. Hearing bangs and doors slamming during a scene. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 198April 11, 2023 1:09 PM

^The tombstones in the graveyard wobbled a good bit, early on. I remember one night scene when 2 characters are going through the "spooky" forest, and the "trees" they're making their way through are clearly ALL rubber plants and big philodendrons in (unseen) pots.

by Anonymousreply 199April 11, 2023 1:25 PM

I watched soaps from the 60s through the 90s — CBS/ABC. There was never any Top 40s music played on any of the ones I watched.

by Anonymousreply 200April 11, 2023 2:53 PM

Years ago in the early days of the internet, a seller on Ebay offered a video tape of the last five episodes of THE EDGE OF NIGHT.

There was Joel Crothers as Dr. Miles Cavanaugh. He was getting married to someone and there were all sorts of complications - cars breaking down, ring gets lost.....the ceremony finally went off on Thursday. And on Friday we found the happy couple in bed talking about how wonderful their lives were going to be.

He was wearing his Tom Selleck moustache in EON....but I liked him better like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201April 11, 2023 3:01 PM

R200, you missed "Almost Paradise" by Ann Wilson & Mike Reno, which was used extensively for GL's Lujack & Beth? Streisand & Summer's "No More Tears," which accompanied the Roger/Rita funhouse scene on GL? Anne Murray's "You Needed Me" for GL's Kelly & Morgan? Billy Ocean's "Suddenly" for ATWT's Craig & Sierra? ATWT's Lily singing "I Can't Make You Love Me" over and over? etc. etc. etc.

I didn't even watch those shows and I know they used pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 202April 11, 2023 3:03 PM

'Baby, Come to Me' by Patti Austin and James Ingram was Luke and Laura's theme song.

by Anonymousreply 203April 11, 2023 3:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 11, 2023 3:09 PM

Herb Alpert's RISE on GH 1979.

by Anonymousreply 205April 11, 2023 4:25 PM

What about me, Danny Romalotti? Pop icon and committed heterosexualist. What would Y&R have been without my covers of '60s hits?

by Anonymousreply 206April 11, 2023 5:01 PM

In episode 68 Miss Winters wore her hair up and Roger had a drink. This is progress.

by Anonymousreply 207April 11, 2023 5:42 PM

I read somewhere that Lois Edmonds use to wait for his cue to walk down the staircase and he would walk down in only his shirt and underwear. Joan Bennett found it amusing. 😆

by Anonymousreply 208April 11, 2023 6:09 PM

^Puny cocklet?

by Anonymousreply 209April 11, 2023 6:43 PM

R208 The story in Louis Edmond's bio "Big Lou" is that there was one scene where Lou did it in his underpants. He thought he was done for the day, so went back to his dressing room and started undressing. But he then got called back to the set -- like RIGHT NOW !! -- and the only way he'd make his cue is if he ran there without putting his pants back on, and they shot the scene from his waist up.

by Anonymousreply 210April 11, 2023 6:58 PM

Love this photo of Frid and Louis Edmonds from the early years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 11, 2023 8:34 PM

Lou and his then-lover, Bryce. often hosted his fellow gay actors out at his place on Long Island known as The Rookery. Joel was a frequent guest. He'd also have Joan out there for dinner and bridge parties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212April 11, 2023 10:01 PM

[quote] I watched soaps from the 60s through the 90s — CBS/ABC. There was never any Top 40s music played on any of the ones I watched.

I can't speak for all the soaps, but General Hospital frequently cranked out Top 40 songs like "Baby Come to Me", "Think of Laura", and perhaps most notoriously, "Rise". The Campus Disco scenes alone could generate a Greatest Hits album. I very briefly watched Y&R in the late 70s and clearly recall some brunette songstress belting out "If" ( her storyline had something to do with a "Maestro").

by Anonymousreply 213April 11, 2023 10:18 PM

[quote] "Baby, Come to Me' by Patti Austin and James Ingram was Luke and Laura's theme song.

Actually, that was Luke & Holly.

by Anonymousreply 214April 11, 2023 10:19 PM

Speaking of Top 40 Songs ... Dark Shadows has "Quentin's Theme" by the show's composer, Bob Cobert.

From Wiki:

[quote] In 1969, the soundtrack to Dark Shadows, credited to the Robert Cobert Orchestra and featuring sixteen tracks written or co-written by Cobert, reached No. 18 on Billboard's Top 200 album chart. The song "Quentin's Theme" earned Cobert a Grammy nomination for Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition, but lost to John Barry's theme to the film Midnight Cowboy. A recording of "Quentin's Theme" by Charles Randolph Grean was released as a single, and in August 1969, peaked at No. 13 on Billboard Hot 100 and No. 3 on their adult contemporary chart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215April 11, 2023 10:37 PM

My personal favorite is "Angelique's Theme."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216April 11, 2023 10:42 PM

^^^ Or I should say, "Ode to Angelique." ;)

by Anonymousreply 217April 11, 2023 10:43 PM

Actress Marie Wallace who played Eve/Crazy Jenny/Megan on the show said that there was no music going on while they were taping the show - the perfect eerie music was added on later on when the episode was finished.

by Anonymousreply 218April 11, 2023 11:02 PM

I think my favorite Dark Shadows moment happened on another TV show. Megan got a break landing a role on a Gothic-Occult daytime soap opera, and there's a scene of her walking on to some cheap-ass seat with a tired-looking older redheaded woman with a lesbian haircut. They're both dressed in mod 60s Satanist garb in front of a huge smoking cauldron. The show was never named, but LOL. I assumed Megan was supposed to be one of the several Victoria Winters recasts.

by Anonymousreply 219April 12, 2023 1:43 AM

^ Maggie Evans fires back on the DISRESPECT that Mad Men showed for Dark Shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220April 12, 2023 2:23 AM

Looks like Joanna Going was playing Joan Bennett playing Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.

by Anonymousreply 221April 12, 2023 12:18 PM

The vibe was Joanna was playing Grayson, and whatshisname show killer was playing Sam, when they propositioned Don and Megen for a swap. What's funny about that ep of MM, the blonde who played Vicki Winters in the WB DS pilot, Marley Shelton, played Joan's pal.

by Anonymousreply 222April 12, 2023 12:27 PM

[quote]Actress Marie Wallace who played Eve/Crazy Jenny/Megan on the show said that there was no music going on while they were taping the show - the perfect eerie music was added on later on when the episode was finished.

They could not hear it on the studio floor, it was played from the booth. And you can kind of tell, sometimes the cue music would start late or finish before the scene was done.

by Anonymousreply 223April 12, 2023 12:29 PM

R202, don't forget when Jermaine Jackson and a then-unknown Whitney Houston appeared on As The World Turns , singing Steve and Betsy's theme "Nobody Love Me Like You Do". Whitney later put it on her debut album.

by Anonymousreply 224April 13, 2023 1:44 AM

Did Whitney snort all the coke at the Crafts table, and never invited back?

by Anonymousreply 225April 13, 2023 11:42 AM

Envisioning DS as a 1970s Saturday morning cartoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 18, 2023 3:40 AM

^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227April 18, 2023 3:47 AM

[quote] Envisioning DS as a 1970s Saturday morning cartoon.

Guest starring the Harlem Globetrotters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 18, 2023 3:57 AM

Been there, done that R226

by Anonymousreply 229April 18, 2023 11:39 AM

Whoops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230April 18, 2023 11:40 AM

Funky Phantom?

Fruity Phantom is more like it.

Gayer than Barnabas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231April 18, 2023 11:55 AM

Okay I have been wanting to start watching this from the beginning for years and this thread has convinced me. Is Tubi the best place to stream it? Should I skip the first 100 episodes or be a completest? Help me, DL

by Anonymousreply 232April 18, 2023 6:47 PM

Watch it from the beginning. The on location filming is worth it alone, it helps create the atmosphere. Getting into the heads of Liz, Rog, Vicki and the rest is good, too. Little David is really the chief villain before Barnabas.

by Anonymousreply 233April 18, 2023 7:26 PM

Tits: You should watch some of the pre-Barnabas episodes, fitfully, as the mood strikes, to get a feel for the spooky ambience. The thing about this show is that they were very good at having virtually nothing new happen for, sometimes, 2 weeks at a stretch. During its run, I didn't get into the show until the vampire was in it, but I did obtain the complete set of cds a while back and have kind of fast-forwarded through the early episodes. You'll get a feel for it. Once Barnabas shows up, I think it's pretty amazing. I am pals with some pretty well-known actors who are (independently of one another) really obsessed with this program and watch it regularly.

by Anonymousreply 234April 18, 2023 11:09 PM

R234, I co-sign this recommendation. There was a reason that the show’s ratings were so low that they were driven to introduce Barnabus. You don’t need the early shows to understand the characters—it’s a soap opera, their motives can change from week to week.

by Anonymousreply 235April 18, 2023 11:40 PM

For those wishing a shortcut but want a very basic summary of the early episodes, this video was posted somewhere upthread.

I love the early episodes, though. Some of them are so slow and boring that it doesn’t seem like it could be real. I used them to lull me to sleep for months. And yes, I still recommend them.

Also, the storylines with Josette’s ghost and the Phoenix are great precursors to Barnabas, whose arrival does indeed shake up the show in a fantastic manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 18, 2023 11:46 PM

There is a company in England called Big Finish that does audios of shows like Doctor Who featuring the original actors - they have an entire line of Dark Shadows audios! Some of them are dramatic readings with a few actors, and some of them are full cast audios! An interesting thing to note - although Jonathan Frid reprises his role as Barnabas for one audio, and they recast him for the full cast audios, the rest of the line expands story lines from characters from the past and future. So we kind of see a Dark Shadows universe that is not so dependent on Barnabas. David Selby (Quentin ) Lara Parker(Angelique) Kathryn Leigh Scott ( Maggie) Jerry Lacy ( Trask/ Tony) Nancy Barrett (Carolyn/ Leticia/Pansy), and John Karlen (Willie) all return for new stories! The 2 Big multipart Stories that reboot the series in the 80s are Bloodlust and Bloodlines. They create a lot of great new characters to follow and expand the scope of the series to include people around the town of Collinsport. All while integrating classic characters into the story. If you haven't heard of it I recommend checking out the Big finish site. I'm linking the wiki because it gives you the order of the stories and an idea of how to follow them. I believe there's a link to the big finish site on it.Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 19, 2023 12:38 AM

I started from the beginning (Prime Video) about a year or so ago. Yes, at times it is a slog, but that's true even in the later seasons. It was a daytime soap which are built to move with glacial speed and abundant repetition. I enjoyed some of the early years, in particular I was fascinated with the 5 lbs. of hair precariously poised on the heads of Victoria and Elizabeth. I also very much enjoyed the coded gayness of Roger (Louis Edmonds makes Paul Lynde look butch). Alexandra Moltke Isles (Vicky) has curious diction and while poor Joan Bennett constantly struggled with her lines she was to me absolutely captivating to watch -- huge screen presence. And I loved her constant resting bitch face. My favorite stories from the beginning are Diana Millay (fantastic as Laura) playing the Phoenix and the mystery of what happened to Paul Stoddard. Watch it if you want the full experience.

by Anonymousreply 238April 19, 2023 11:59 AM

If Dr Hoffman was so smart why was she so clueless about Bernabaaas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 30, 2023 2:23 PM

Did they drop the idea that David was actually Burke's son so as not to spotlight the improbability that Roger was straight?

by Anonymousreply 240April 30, 2023 2:28 PM

R239 - Julia was the OG fag hag on Collinsport: Barnabas, Roger, Dr. Stokes, Philip Todd, Joe Haskell, Chris Jennings...

by Anonymousreply 241April 30, 2023 2:31 PM

B52s on Guiding Light for R21

The Blue Whale it wasn’t, but Copper Kettle’s Wired For Sound was pretty groovy in its own right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242April 30, 2023 3:24 PM

^ I loved it! They opened with a number from Mesopotamia!

I wonder how the stars aligned to bring the B-52s onto Guiding Light?!?’

by Anonymousreply 243April 30, 2023 3:32 PM

[quote]Did they drop the idea that David was actually Burke's son so as not to spotlight the improbability that Roger was straight?

Roger kept questioning it, but Elizabeth would hear of it. It sort of resolved itself since David looked like just like his grandfather Jamison

by Anonymousreply 244April 30, 2023 3:39 PM

That should have been:

Roger kept questioning it, but Elizabeth wouldn't hear of it. It sort of resolved itself since David looked just like his grandfather Jamison

by Anonymousreply 245April 30, 2023 3:40 PM

Don't ask don't tell at the Pink Whale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246April 30, 2023 3:51 PM

[quote] Copper Kettle’s Wired For Sound was pretty groovy in its own right

Did it have a tin roof, rusted?

by Anonymousreply 247May 1, 2023 11:37 AM

R244 - Yes, in all probability David remained a Collins so he could be part of the time travel stories. I never did understand how people who didn't really have any relationship with the Collins family, would however appear as relatives in the past. Were Mrs. Johnson, Willie, Julia, Maggie, and Prof. Stokes all not good enough to be a Collins in the 20th century?

by Anonymousreply 248May 1, 2023 11:40 AM

Would you rather their 20th century counterparts remain in perpetual servitude to the Collins family?

by Anonymousreply 249May 2, 2023 8:59 PM

In another thread I found a link to an auction of film and TV sets, props, and memorabilia. The only item pertinent to this thread is a group of board games, including one for Dark Shadows. Not a surprise, I suppose, but had no idea, or if I once was aware of it, it was long since forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250May 2, 2023 11:01 PM

I had the board game, which was lame. The cool thing was the glow in the dark, green tinged Barnabas fangs. I wore them all the time in 3rd grade, until a mean nun said I scared a girl on the bus and she took them away from me.

by Anonymousreply 251May 3, 2023 1:51 AM

I am on episode 90 now and can honestly say David is a great reminder that I am happy I didn't have children.

by Anonymousreply 252May 10, 2023 6:46 AM

David was a pain in the ass, but it was Carolyn who most deserved a Mildred Pierce two-slap. What a sniveling little twit she was.

by Anonymousreply 253May 10, 2023 10:24 PM

Burke and Roger should have just fucked like crazed weasels and resolved all that tension. They'd have been much happier.

by Anonymousreply 254May 15, 2023 12:58 PM

Burke would have gone for Joe, even Willie, before he'd fuck Nellie Roger!

by Anonymousreply 255May 15, 2023 1:22 PM

R254 / r255 - They came so close to consummating their antagonistic relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256May 15, 2023 1:33 PM

Well....Roger would have loved it!!

by Anonymousreply 257May 15, 2023 1:56 PM

Actually it always kind of creeped me out how fascinated both David and Burke were with each other. Who lets their 8 year old son spend every afternoon alone in the hotel room of an ex-convict? Different era, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 258May 16, 2023 11:48 AM

Original Burke Devlin.

He died a little over a year ago at 88.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259May 31, 2023 2:08 AM

Mitch Ryan aged magnificently considering he was such a drunk in 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260May 31, 2023 2:15 AM

Mitch always looked like the cartoon strip version of Dick Tracy, he would have been perfect as DT. Apparently everyone at DS loved him, despite the problems his drinking caused. Did he - even more than Selby or Karlen - have the best post DS career? He worked all the time.

by Anonymousreply 261May 31, 2023 3:29 AM

More Joel Crothers stories please.

I love Kathryn Leigh Scott's books. I bought a used one on EBAY. The description was "writing on the inside cover" - turned out is was Scott's autograph.

My sister took it to a DS event and she laughed and signed it again to me.

by Anonymousreply 262May 31, 2023 1:31 PM

Karlen went on to play fuck machine Harv on Cagney and Lacey.

by Anonymousreply 263May 31, 2023 2:32 PM

Mitch Ryan’s Burke Devlin always seemed to be a simmering rage of booze and alpha masculinity. He must’ve been an electrifying rough fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264May 31, 2023 8:46 PM

Ryan’s replacement, gay Anthony George, was milquetoast by comparison. He made the jump into color and got a plum part in the 1795 storyline, the zenith of the series, but he exited shortly thereafter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265May 31, 2023 8:50 PM

Anthony George was worse at remembering his lines than Joan Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 266June 1, 2023 2:19 AM

Frid and Bozo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267June 2, 2023 12:19 AM

R267 - I wonder which one was wearing more make-up.

by Anonymousreply 268June 2, 2023 11:42 AM

Bozo has the more natural looking wig for sure.

by Anonymousreply 269June 2, 2023 1:17 PM

R267 Cousin Bozo Collins from England

by Anonymousreply 270June 3, 2023 1:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!