Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Barry' season 4

Final season, premieres April 16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 26, 2023 7:14 PM

Season 3 thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2023 6:20 PM

Can’t wait. Last season was a bit too dark, hopefully this season will be a little lighter. I wonder how Barry will get out of jail.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2023 1:31 AM

I don't think this season going to be lighter.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2023 6:06 AM

This show is so good! Bravo to HBO, Hader, et al. Love how it's gotten progressively darker each season, but the humor is also very present. The action-heavy episodes each season are also great. Love that consequences are in play for everyone and that trauma is real and felt. I hope Hank can find peace with his love, but I doubt it. Keeping secrets is never good.

This was a strong return with no sign of a dip in quality (unlike the weaker writing on S4 of Succession). Don't love how fat Hader has gotten since S1 and his SNL days. Tall, lanky men should remain that way, but I worry he's become irreversibly fat. That HBO money is good and he's clearly been eating since the start of Covid. Love that the show is ending after a tight and tidy four seasons. How long can someone realistically get away with killing people let alone a cop?

Cousineau is making enemies and may end up dead for his grifting ways. Trying to profit off Janet's murder and for rebuffing Barry's admission of love. Uh oh.

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2023 6:43 AM

With Barry in prison, I hope this season becomes Oz 2.0. That long-haired guy staring at Barry in the cafeteria was hot. I want to see some naked men.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2023 6:48 AM

Sally's mom is the worst, no wonder Sally is so needy and a perpetual victim. The way Barry was shouting at her and banging on the glass in the prison while telling her he loved her was yet one of those uncomfortable scenes this show does so well.

I liked the tall handsome Latino guy at the pier.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2023 3:07 PM

Why did the news report the prison guards were watching as Barry came in say that Barry killed Janice's dad? He didn't. I thought that was weird but I watched it twice and heard the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2023 1:57 AM

r7 The report sounded tinny, so maybe that's why you misheard. Here's the transcript.

[quote]Good evening. Tonight, the LAPD and our tactical unit apprehended Barry Berkman, a 44-year-old resident of North Hollywood for the attempted murder of James Moss. He is also being charged with the murder of Mr. Moss's daughter, Detective Janice Moss.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2023 4:05 AM

Thanks R8.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2023 4:33 AM

Sand is a big clue about something. Maybe being buried alive in samd or something. There is sand in the dream sequences, childhood remembrances, Arizona trip and now the importing business.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2023 4:53 AM

What was the whole Muffin discussion about between Barry and Sally?

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2023 4:54 AM

"Muffin" is code word for the guy Sally killed in the recording booth. He's also the guy who appeared to her on the flight to Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2023 5:07 AM

Holy shit, that Guillermo del Toro cameo! With the cane and everything. Loved his shitty live delivery, honestly more directors should cameo as a gag, but the ego probably won't let them.

Sally is killing it as an acting teacher, those snowflakes just couldn't handle it. That one acting student was Mary Elizabeth Kelly who does hilarious videos on mouth/tooth/lip acting, accents, and just impressions in general.

Wish we got a closeup of that Colombian hitman, he looked gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2023 8:32 AM

Nothing better happen to Hank! This outfit 🤌

I think Barry is toast. And Fuches. They will be buried together, under the imported sand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2023 8:42 AM

R6 that scene with sally at the prison was scary. Barry was so creepy with the ‘do you love me? Do you love me? You said you feel safe with me. That’s beautiful. I’d never hurt you… “.

I’d be so worried if I was her because she has to know he’d be coming for her (to keep, not kill) if he ever got out. He’s losing it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2023 8:46 AM

I loved the "preview" for next week's episode.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2023 8:58 AM

E3 was a lot more humourous than the first two. Even the assassin scene was broadly funny.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2023 2:41 AM

That super tall acting student freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2023 2:42 AM

I loved Noho's phone chat with Barry. Well done! And Fuchs getting sentimental watching Rain Man.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2023 2:43 AM

Noho always looks cherubic, but he looked extra angelic on that phone call with Barry, who at this point has a tendency to make everyone look like a victim.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2023 3:31 AM

So did Fuchs get some prison cred for being beat so bad? Is that way eeveryone was silent when he came to chow?

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2023 4:41 AM

I don't know if Sally will go with Barry or turn him in.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2023 4:41 AM

I love this show. I think Sally may become an assassin, and maybe a partner with Hank. Everyone else will become part of a giant Sand Castle.

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2023 5:07 AM

R21 yup. They waited for him to start eating before they resumed their lunch.

Those guys who were laughing at him before are going to be his #2s. Jason and…Jason?

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2023 5:14 AM

I think sally will go with him. He does make her feel safe.

I hope Gene’s son isn’t dead, but would it have been so hard to say, ‘Hey dad, it’s me, not Barry. Don’t be scared or shoot me.”?

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2023 5:17 AM

Damn, what a showcase of Hank's acting abilities.

Sian Heder is such a better actress than del Toro, lol.

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2023 6:13 AM

Dr. Rocket Romano in the house! I heard some helicopter noises when he was onscreen, hope one doesn’t chop his arm off and then fall on him!

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2023 6:36 AM

Does anybody think the time jump at the end of last nights episode was real or just Barry's dream?

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2023 9:22 PM

I don’t get the Henry Winkler connection

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2023 9:23 PM

What do you guys think about the end, when Barry and Sally were in the house with ( their son?) . Was it a time jump, or a dream Barry was having? I could not believe that Mr C, killed his son.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2023 9:25 PM

Sorry I posted twice.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2023 9:26 PM

My first thought was it was real- she went with Barry and that was a flash foward.

But maybe it is all a dream of Barry’s and he’s hiding in the prison somewhere.

I’d believe either. By gut said that Barry was going to die this season and I believe that’s something Bill Hader would do, so I think it wasn’t real.

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2023 10:14 PM

That's what I thought, too, R32. I think Barry will die.

by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2023 3:07 AM

Guess it wasn’t a dream. Interesting.

I hope Hank is thriving eight years after Cristobal’s death! I have no idea what he could be up to.

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2023 3:30 AM

Who knocked at the door? Fuchs? He must be dead 8 yrs on.

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2023 4:38 AM

I thought I heard kids giggling. Like ding dong ditch. But I’m not sure.

Fuchs is probably the prison king and happy in there.

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2023 4:50 AM

This episode was just strange.

32 minute long setup for the reveal.

I liked it. But it was strange.

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2023 6:53 AM

It was a tedious, borderline interminable episode. Probably my least favourite of the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2023 7:08 AM

Same. The only good thing was the Gene comeback. I think when Barry goes to LA to kill him, Barry will die. Maybe by NoHo Hank.

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2023 1:05 PM

I am loving this final season more than Succession's and am surprised by some of the reviews that complain the show has become too dark. What did they think would happen? No consequences for killing? What kind of message would that send? Hollywood has always pushed morality plays even under the guise of auteur, prestige storytelling.

Each season of Barry has been amazingly consistent in delivering its unique blend of black comedy, action thriller, and character drama. I don't care to guess how things will end. I'm enjoying the ride as I do with every season. With only a few episodes left, I'm hoping they've saved their budget. It's been a pretty unglamorous season so far with simple sets. I'd like to see something akin to the amazing action episodes of 2.5 and 3.4.

I never gave Hader much thought beyond Stefon, but this show has thoroughly impressed me. The writing, directing, and acting are all standouts. My one complaint is how FAT Hader has gotten during S3 and especially S4. It's shocking and a bit distracting. I hate seeing tall, lanky men get fat. He definitely can't return to SNL and play Stefon is he doesn't first lose that weight. The chracter is a clubby twink. Fey bears are unsexy beta males.

I love Hank. The actor really should play Fester Addams in the next live action film. It's all I see. Shame it didn't work out with Cristobal, but the time Hank spent chained and captive in the room really changed him. It hardened Hank so as to never allow himself to be in that position again. He's become a true crime lord now. Love the contrast between his gayness which can be disarming and his ruthlessness as a power hungry crime leader wanting respect. A true queen is never afraid to cut a bitch!

I kind of want Janet Moss' dad to die. He continues to meddle and should pay just like his overly curious daughter did. Technically, Barry didn't kill her. Wasn't it the Raven who did it and then he framed Barry? I don't really remember. I just remember the scene at the lake where she confronted Barry and then Fuches leading Cousineau to the car with the body.

Poor Sally. She may not have wanted the kid, but I hope the sex was good. Don't get married and have kids. It's a life killer. Love seeing Janet from The Good Place nail it as the Kaley Cuoco stand-in. No talent. All luck.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2023 5:44 AM

Bill said he gained weight from stress eating because of writing, directing, and acting on Barry. Now that it’s over hopefully he can lose some of it.

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2023 6:00 AM

R40

Barry killed Janice Moss.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2023 12:38 PM

R42 Thanks. I figured he did. I appreciate when events early on continue to reverberate across later seasons. In real life, all it takes is one decision to completely change the trajectory of your life. Barry's flaw is that he resorts to murder to solve problems.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2023 6:32 AM

I’m loving Fuchs right now.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2023 2:12 AM

Glad NoHo Hank is thriving.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2023 2:24 AM

I was a bit worried sally killed the kid by accident. Glad that didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2023 3:26 AM

Well that's was interesting! Who will kill Fuchs first? Noho or Barry? Who was at Sally's house? Was it some family member seeking revenge?

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2023 5:11 AM

I figured it was the guy she nearly choked in the diner bathroom last ep. Bethel? Bethen? Then she told the boss he was stealing and he got fired.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2023 5:22 AM

Where did we leave Fuchs and Barry? Why does Fuchs want Barry dead? Didn’t he warn him about the prison assassination attempt?

I think Barry and NoHo Hank will be cool. As will Fuchs and Barry. But how will Barry escape Janice Moss’ dad? He should kill Barry immediately. But he’ll probably scramble his mind and make him only speak French or something.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2023 5:26 AM

Bevel, the guy she got fired, rammed the mobile home with his truck, but the figure in black was her drunk hallucination/nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2023 5:47 AM

The last scene with Janice’s dad had a noticeably younger looking Barry. What is going on?

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2023 5:52 AM

I’m happy Gene’s son is alright and that he seems okay with seeing his dad. They didn’t need to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2023 5:53 AM

R51 I didn’t notice, but I will rewatch tomorrow. That’d be interesting if there is something going on there.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2023 5:54 AM

Posted on Reddit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2023 6:00 AM

Wow, that’s awesome. I guess he caught Barry eight years ago and fucked with his mind?

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2023 6:03 AM

I thought I was going crazy when a considerably younger-looking Barry was shown tied to that chair. I didn't understand why Janice's dad would shave him, lol.

That whole Sally sequence was most peculiar, there's no way her house would behave like that if someone rammed it with a truck. I think she went into alcoholic stupor/rage and hallucinated the entire thing.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2023 9:43 AM

Maybe. It was weird when she was in the bedroom and the guy in black was trying to get in and he was talking to someone and said ‘she stabbed me in the eye. He’s not breathing!’ And some other stuff.

I figured John had died and sally went into some dissociative state, trashed the house, and made up the whole thing. Maybe John accidentally shot himself with that gun? And then she lost it.

If Barry comes home and finds his son dead, he’ll kill sally for sure.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2023 1:18 PM

Oh, that's a great theory. I agree it'll be something dark.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2023 1:22 PM

The “she stabbed me in the eye” was what actually happened to her at the end of S3, so that part of it was not real, for sure. I do think the fired cook rammed the house with his truck though.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2023 1:28 PM

Is that how Barry killed her ex? I thought it might have been a memory she was reliving. I liked this episode.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2023 1:39 PM

This is the incident Sally was reliving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2023 2:08 PM

Thanks r61. I had forgotten about that. That was intense.

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2023 2:16 PM

I have a lot of respect for Hader and Iike this show a lot, but sometimes I think he went too far to "strange" territory with this season. I miss more relatable stories from first seasons.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2023 4:27 PM

Didn't he say somewhere recently he wants to direct movies now and is using this show as a launching pad towards that end? So I think he's trying to establish his auteur cred by leaning too much into the strangeness sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2023 4:31 PM

The invasion scene was a mix of something happening in real-time and Sally reliving past trauma. The show does this all the time as a lean into the surreal. The house was actually being invaded as seen by the hole in the wall and John waking up to the destruction, but it also trigged Sally's PTSD. The show has also hinted at unrest earlier in the season when Barry had to stand guard overnight (even if it was some kids playing ding dong ditch). They're not welcome and something will need to be done about that.

I'm interested in the scene with Janet Moss' dad. Barry's mind will be harder to break as he's a trained marine and the dad is older and fatter than Barry. I wouldn't be surprised if Barry finds a way to kill him. Or maybe they'll kiss and make nice. I doubt it. Either way, this show remains a compelling watch.

by Anonymousreply 65May 21, 2023 11:39 PM

Isaiah, even in death, an absolute fox.

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2023 5:58 AM

I think John is going to kill someone next week. Shoot ‘em dead.

by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2023 7:55 AM

I don’t want NoHo Hank or Gene to die. Barry or Fuches would be okay. They should go together.

by Anonymousreply 68May 22, 2023 12:56 PM

The destruction of the house was caused by Sally being blackout drunk. There was no home invasion and the people ringing the doorbell were the neighborhood kids. It was all in Sally’s head.

Even with Hader leaning a little too heavily on Lynch and Twin Peaks The Return, I love this show and glad to see him just going for it.

by Anonymousreply 69May 22, 2023 1:21 PM

He looked good again in this ep. The beard wasn’t working for him. Glad Jim Moss shaved him.

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2023 1:24 PM

One of the best penultimate episodes I have ever seen. Not for a single second did I get bored of any of the chess pieces being put in place for the finale. Even the scene with Fuches and his team that seemingly went on forever reminded me of what a good show we're about to "lose" next week.

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2023 1:29 PM

[quote] He looked good again in this ep. The beard wasn’t working for him. Glad Jim Moss shaved him.

And styled his hair!

by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2023 1:34 PM

R66, he really was though. We knew what would happen, but it was still funny. Hank should've kept him back as his new boytoy.

R69, I do agree that when it comes to tension, suspense, and surreal horror, Barry is tonally inspired by Twink Peaks: The Return. That said, I disagree with your first statement. Unless, it's for comedic effect to show incompetence, the show rarely leans so cleanly and clearly in one direction so as to say this is what this is. They prefer to blend. You prefer it to be black and white in meaning for clarity and ease of mind, so that is how you're choosing to see it.

A better reading would be to acknowledge that there was an external threat and that because Sally was previously drunk and now under stress, the situation also triggered her PTSD. The show acknowledged her drinking as a self-destructive coping mechanism, but never suggested that it was causing physical destruction to their home in smaller ways or that she has been blackout drunk before. The door being unlocked and the windows being open was a clear sign of an intruder, but because Sally and John were passed out drunk, she didn't even think to stop and notice. Sally was tired and out of it not blackout drunk and destructive.

In the aftermath, now unable to stay there, Sally ran off to LA to be safe with Barry. Ironically, running to be safe with him put Sally and John in the most danger. I think this is what could cause her to leave him.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2023 1:53 PM

[quote] You prefer it to be black and white in meaning for clarity and ease of mind, so that is how you're choosing to see it.

Good lord the projection. You don’t know what I prefer. I gave my interpretation. You have a different one.

by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2023 4:12 PM

Is Hank going to text Barry the address where Fuches and his men are living? I hope barista lady and her daughter make it out alive!

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2023 8:13 PM

They will. They’ll either be out to lunch with one of the henchmen or chillin inside watching Fast and Furious 6 with noise cancelling headphones.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2023 8:25 PM

The barista and her daughter made their bed, now let them lie in it.

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2023 8:30 PM

It was an okay finale, I don't know what I was expecting. Guess we aren't getting that NoHo Hank spinoff people have been asking for.

Who was that cute homosexual boy with the awful hair and the cold sore who played older John?

by Anonymousreply 78May 29, 2023 3:01 PM

Hated the ending. Worst series finale ever.

by Anonymousreply 79May 29, 2023 8:29 PM

What did you want to happen instead, r79?

by Anonymousreply 80May 29, 2023 8:34 PM

Just watched it. Umm. Was expecting Barry to die, that was fine. Hank, okay, died holding cristobal’s hand, fine. But wtf is Gene doing serving life in prison? He very clearly could’ve convinced anyone with half a brain he didn’t kill Janet moss. And why didn’t sally say something? Barry died so it’s okay that an innocent man goes to prison? Bullshit.

Barry shouldn’t have been made a hero. I guess that’s the ‘Hollywood ending’ sally wanted for Barry.

R78 it looked like Jaeden Martell. He’s a good little actor who has been in a bunch of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 81May 29, 2023 9:16 PM

I would rather have had Barry just be shot by Winkler's character. Then fade to black. The "wrap up" really didn't work for me. But I liked it quite well up to that point.

by Anonymousreply 82May 30, 2023 4:05 AM

The "wrap up" with the dramatisation was when I started looking at the time left, I had a sinking feeling it would go on forever.

I guess it was supposed to show us how Hollywood ruins or at least warps things. Which, fine, but the show wasn't mainly about that, even if it started in that place. I did like John smiling as the very last thing we saw -- that could be either be him being proud of his father, or him being amused by what he just saw on the screen, realising that he and his mom alone know the actual truth.

by Anonymousreply 83May 30, 2023 4:18 AM

I’m glad they didn’t make John a little psycho. I was worried for a sec when his friend asked, “you ready to do this?” I thought it was going to be killing something.

Sally isn’t a great mom still. John says I love you and she asks him how the play was. Boo.

by Anonymousreply 84May 30, 2023 4:48 AM

[quote]“you ready to do this?” I thought it was going to be killing something.

Same, I thought it would be a dark initiation of some kind. Before his friend said that, I thought he was John's boyfriend and they were about to have a sleepover at his place.

And yeah, Sally is as self-involved as ever, with her main bit of growth being that she outright rejects that guy who asks her out. Which is probably more PTSD than growth, honestly. But it's also true to life in that most people rarely change, we just stay mostly the same, running around in circles repeating the same patterns over and over again until we die.

by Anonymousreply 85May 30, 2023 4:59 AM

TIme jumps are never good.

by Anonymousreply 86May 30, 2023 12:27 PM

[quote] I was worried for a sec when his friend asked, “you ready to do this?”

I guess I've watched too many Corbin Fisher/ Next Door Buddies videos. I thought the friend was asking John if he was ready to fuck...

by Anonymousreply 87May 30, 2023 1:53 PM

^That did cross my mind for a sec, too.

by Anonymousreply 88May 30, 2023 2:58 PM

Same, but then I quickly realised they wouldn't put something like that in a show like this, and especially not at the very end.

So you're not the only one with a dirty mind, r87.

by Anonymousreply 89May 30, 2023 3:07 PM

4 seasons? This should have been like a 14-episode limited series. It's a dreary bore.

by Anonymousreply 90May 30, 2023 3:13 PM

Tasteless r90 is tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 91May 30, 2023 3:15 PM

R86 I agree, time jumps are usually awful however The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel used them in their last season and it was very well done.

by Anonymousreply 92May 30, 2023 4:45 PM

Great series. Mediocre last episode. Never really cared about how each character was going to "end"...

by Anonymousreply 93May 30, 2023 4:50 PM

I did like how Barry died. Nothing fancy, bullet to the head, ‘oh, wow’ as his last words. Perfect. Much better than a blazing gunfight with Fuches’ or hank’s teams.

by Anonymousreply 94May 30, 2023 5:49 PM

Secession finale: they stuck the landing. A-

Barry finale: too cute (the time thing, the movie within a movie). C+

By way of comparison: GoT, D; Madmen, B+; Sopranos, B

by Anonymousreply 95May 31, 2023 2:46 AM

How about Breaking Bad, R95? What was its series finale score?

by Anonymousreply 96May 31, 2023 2:47 AM

Breaking Bad was, for me, an A. Partially because I felt the Holy Spirit delivered me of the addiction of watching that show, by ending it.

by Anonymousreply 97May 31, 2023 2:52 AM

R95, I totally agree with your scores.

by Anonymousreply 98May 31, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote] Secession finale: they stuck the landing. A-

R95 Was that a show about the Civil War?

by Anonymousreply 99May 31, 2023 9:05 AM

I think the Mad Men finale was an A. I don’t remember being unsatisfied with it and I would and likely will watch the whole thing again.

Sally sure got a raw deal with the last series of this show. I felt sorry for Sarah Goldberg and not much of anything for the character. Some of the final series was a bit too surreal, a quality the show had come by more naturally in previous series just through the sheer absurdity of its circumstance. In the final season, this felt more heavy-handed. It kind of felt like it needed a fifth series and Sally’s character, specifically, would’ve benefitted from more time being spent with her character’s progression and been taken along that journey. As it was, it felt like her character fell victim to bad writing more than anything else.

A lot of the final series, with the exception of the prison scenes, felt entirely too “writer-led” rather than character led, like a lot of it was written for specific effect and therefore contrived. For instance, I think they did themselves a disservice by cutting the theme music, which just made it seem self-serious. Life out on a desert plain, while intriguing, was a bit too surreal - and surely being in the only house out on a desert plain wasn’t much of a hiding place. The whole time I was just thinking things like “How do they get their mail?,” “Who keeps this place so super clean?,” “How do they afford this?,” “How do they get such good internet out there?” In other words, it didn’t really work. Plus, the character of John…like not even in a Terminator film would that kid exist. (Cont.)

by Anonymousreply 100June 1, 2023 7:06 AM

The son was too conveniently written. The one thing that child would’ve realised is that he had power over his father and mother. And we know from a film like Running On Empty that the child would have to be in on their fugitive lifestyle for it to work - esp. when they refer to being on the run all the time. And either Sally or Barry would know how to cook a pot pie. There are simple instructions right on the box. It wouid’ve made more sense that Sally was trying to do something more elaborate, really trying to succeed and failed (unless the point was they had no gas but they still had electricity out there). Again, contrived.

Cousineau shooting his son should’ve been allowed to land; later the writers tried to make us care about something they didn’t really care about at the time. The whole orchestration of the plot (of fate) against Cousineau just didn’t even make sense that those characters would even be working together and, contrary to the style and ethos of this show, pull something off flawlessly in real time. Keeping the viewers in the dark and at a distance doesn’t necessarily make a reveal work if it’s not earned. The contrivance is why you have a character like Hank breaking down in (some very actorly) tears and yet the viewer feels nothing for either the character in tears or the one they’re mourning. I was grateful that the final shoot out was brief but, in retrospect, would’ve preferred one last shootout for Barry, particularly for the impact it would’ve had on John. (And the final scene with Fuchs and Barry was wasted, which is a shame because Root and Hader are such amazing actors).

The movie within a movie thing….I dunno. Jim Cummings (movie Barry) is a total hottie and really good, distinct comic actor but they didn’t do anything with that. It made some snarky points about Hollywood which Robert Altman’s The Player already did and did better 30 years ago. Obviously another contrivance of the writing. It would’ve been more satisfying if John had claimed his own story and said, “That’s not how that happened.” He was there. And unless they consulted with Sally (which seems unlikely) or John, how would they know Sally said something like, “What’s going to happen to us”? If Sally participated to create a “Barry” worthy of hero worship for her son, wouidn’t she have encouraged him to watch it? And as someone mentioned above, if she wanted Barry to turn himself in, why didn’t she save Cousineau from a life sentence? (Unless she just didn’t work as a fact witness.)

Stephen Root was the most reliable in the final season. He had the best writing and gave a performance that implied and clarified all of the developmental moments we didn’t see and made it make sense. For that reason, I wish he and Barry would’ve had more of a final send off.

Final season: Always watchable, not always engaging.

Final episode: Straining for too much effect.

by Anonymousreply 101June 1, 2023 7:31 AM

Noho Hank is one of my favorite characters from TV in the last few years. I just watched the penultimate episode. "Isaiah has 501 confirmed kills." Hank: "Make that 502."

by Anonymousreply 102October 26, 2023 7:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!