Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever gone down a Twilight Zone rabbit hole?

Some of the episodes are on Paramount +. I watched one for shits and giggles and haven't been able to stop. What is it about this show?

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2024 3:52 PM

Every New Year's Day as a kid. It's just great writing.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2023 6:16 PM

What's your favorite so far OP?

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2023 6:19 PM

R2, The Martian Zoo episode called People are Alike All over. An astronaut lands on Mars and sees people who look like him and he thinks everything will be okay, but they've put in a zoo. I also liked Long Live Walter Jameson.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2023 6:37 PM

The writing is wonderful. Smart and eerie.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 6:42 PM

Have you ever smelled my asshole?

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2023 6:46 PM

Great writing, unusual situations, good casts, eerie premise, unforgettable theme song, and Rod Serling!

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 6:48 PM

One of the best TV series of all time. None of the remakes will ever live up to the original.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 7:34 PM

I have often wondered why the remakes have never caught on. What is missing from the remakes that was in the original? Or maybe it was just a show that was a product of it's time and can't be replicated.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2023 7:36 PM

R8 poorly directed, poorly acted. Stories poorly chosen.

The Twilight Zone was deeply tied to social criticism and the politics of the Cold War.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2023 7:45 PM

During its original run, the scifi/horror genre was just a couple decades old. So people were still seeing these stories and themes for the first time. They had been reading scifi anthologies and stories, for example the Cthulu mythos, and seeing scenarios that were truly scary. Now for the first time, these stories were appearing in visual form on the small screen, in your own home. Yikes!

Unfortunately it's 2023 and we've seen about a million supernatural/scifi/alien/paranormal TV shows produced since the original Twilight Zone. We're used to it, which is kind of sad. Nothing is thrilling. I actually got more thrill a month ago when those "unidentified objects" were being spotted over the US for a week. Of course I walked around town wearing a Tshirt that said "I'M READY" with a UFO above it 🤣

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 8:05 PM

I record and binge watch the NY marathon on the SiFI channel. It is so well written.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 8:08 PM

And the show still can scare the shit out of me, just like when I would watch it on Friday evenings as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 8:08 PM

There's something so satisfying about the episodes where people turn out to be the playthings of aliens. It's really viscerally disturbing, but you're kind of left thinking it's very honest and kind of true. At least I am.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 8:11 PM

^For R2

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 8:12 PM

Agree that the writing was strong, characters and stories were well done and memorable, and was done in a bygone era that cannot and should not be replicated. It’s such a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2023 9:21 PM

For anyone interested, Heroes & Icons is having a 3-day TZ marathon starting today at 12 noon eastern.

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2023 3:29 PM

It was actually supposed to be about the ugliness of humanity, but Rod knew it would seem too preachy so he made it take place in a fictional world called Twilight Zone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2023 3:38 PM

R11, SyFy shows shortened versions. MeTV has been showing full versions, in order (except for season 4, the one hour episodes), for years. Season 4 is on Paramount+. MeTV also doesn't show 'The Encounter,' a season five episode with George Takei and Neville Brand continuing to fight WWII.

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2023 7:20 PM

Just watched "Jess Belle" again, an hour-long episode in Season 4 where a backwoods girl (Anne Francis) makes a fateful bargain with a witch (Jeanette Nolan, having a ball as the local sorceress). I love how TTZ combined romance, horror, tragedy, and social commentary in episodic morality plays. There were a few moments in the early seasons of "American Horror Story" that came close to achieving that combination, but the curse of most Ryan Murphy productions--start promisingly, end disastrously--took hold.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2023 2:57 AM

There's a marathon today on the SyFy channel.

by Anonymousreply 20May 11, 2024 4:23 PM

Such a great series. I think Black Mirror is the only series that can rival TZ.

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2024 4:44 PM

Wish it into the cornfield.......

by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2024 4:47 PM

[quote]Great writing, unusual situations, good casts, eerie premise, unforgettable theme song, and Rod Serling!

And that crisp black&white photography, beautifully lit. The poetic dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2024 5:00 PM

Where are the monsters due?

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote]R8: I have often wondered why the remakes have never caught on. What is missing from the remakes that was in the original? Or maybe it was just a show that was a product of it's time and can't be replicated.

A lot of people haven't seen the later series.

And people have difficulty evaluating things on their own merits, but only in comparison to something else. The original series elicits a lot of nostalgia.

The 1985-89 revival was quite good, especially its first two seasons, but these were created in a one-hour format, and that's a bit difficult to justify in syndication. (The same thing happened with 'Night Gallery'.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2024 9:49 PM

There’s an incredible Bluray box set of the complete episodes. Many episodes with commentary, some episodes with more than one. A real argument for physical media.

by Anonymousreply 26May 11, 2024 11:35 PM

R22? I read that story long before I saw the Twilight Zone episode, and I'm very glad I did.

I read lots of science fiction as a child and young adolescent. Lots of the Twilight Zone writers were actual published sci-fi writers who had written classic short stories already. That's why the series was so good.

The title of that story was It's a Good Life. I posted it at the link if you want to read it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2024 12:23 AM

R27 is a bad lesbian, a very bad lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2024 12:28 AM

Also it’s fun seeing well-known actors such as Robert Redford, Agnes Moorhead, and Jack Klugman playing different sorts of roles than we know them for.

The twists at the end didn’t hurt, either. Everyone lives a twist.

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2024 1:12 AM

How do you spell "loves"?

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2024 1:13 AM

No

I only watch 227

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2024 1:17 AM

DL fave “To Serve Man” is at 1:00 a.m.

It’s…it’s a cookbook!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2024 4:36 AM

I should’ve posted “Spoiler Alert” at R32. My bad!

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2024 4:36 AM

PlutoTV has a dedicated Twilight Zone channel in their Classic TV category. Original TZ, 24/7, 365 days a year.

You don’t need SyFy or MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2024 5:03 AM

R34: Are the PlutoTV episodes complete, or have they had time shaved off for commercials?

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2024 11:10 AM

Thanks R27 I had read the story, too.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2024 1:55 PM

It's...it's a cookbook!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2024 4:38 AM

There's a marathon on SciFi Channel today.

You're a bad man, a very bad man!

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2024 3:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!