Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's going on in France?

Is Macron okay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2023 7:24 PM

Is he still hot?

Yes? Okay then.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2023 10:18 AM

Macron is raising the pension age by 2 years, and the French see this as his sneaky way to pay for all the recent migrants rather than to improve the healthcare or living standards for the French.

They are really, really pissed. Also, they are world champions at vivid protests.

But yes, this time it's far more serious.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2023 10:18 AM

Zut alors, R2!!

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2023 10:21 AM

Ce n'est rien, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 10:24 AM

Aux barricades!

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2023 10:31 AM

“We’ll sit and drink our wine while the world burns down around us!” That’s so French, and fair play to them.

I’m in the UK and they’ve consistently raised the retirement age, with no protest I’m aware of, alas. It went from 60 to now 66 and is due to go to 68. Fuck, before long there will be a huge increase in the number of geriatrics starting Onlyfans accounts.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 10:32 AM

I hope he makes it through this.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 10:43 AM

Can't they still retire early at 55 like most places?

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2023 10:48 AM

Like which "most places", r8?

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2023 10:49 AM

Like lots of places if you have an early retirement plan. Canada is one, I'm sure retirement at 55 must be possible in the US as well if you have pension eligibility based on age plus years of service.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 10:56 AM

r6 eh, people can be like that anywhere... albeit, we'd likely catch more hell if we admit to it.

It's like the first time you experience a robbery, maybe you react... 2nd, 3rd, fifth,, fifteenth time down the line, you find it more frustrating, like when you're on a lunch break and you're hoping this won't take you too long or they don't need you to make statements to the police after.

I had my own tales but you there's always pearl clutchers of some kind upset that you didn't bust into superhero mode and stop it or were so callous that all you could think about is finishing your lunch, continuing your conversation, albeit from minimal safety under a table and getting back to work.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 10:56 AM

In the US, few people have pensions:

These days, stable sources of income are rare for retirees, making a traditional pension a rare find. Unfortunately, only 10% of workers are currently covered by traditional pension plans (thirty years ago that number was closer to 60%).

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 10:58 AM

I LOVE the fact that they're sitting in the cafe chatting over a glass or two of vin rouge while the world around them is literally burning.

That's true sang-froid. Respect!

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 12:46 PM

The barking dog seems to be the only one who cares that the road is on fire.

Two people just sit there talking, and two other people move tables because of the inconvenient fire that was burning too close to their sidewalk table.

I fucking love it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 1:11 PM

More importantly, how is Sesshie managing? The flames must be an impediment to his pilgrimage.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2023 1:15 PM

That looks quite comical, actually.

The French can just shut the fuck up. The retirement age in the rest of Europe is mostly in the 65 to 67 range, but they feel they're too good for 64. What makes them so fucking special?

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2023 1:16 PM

A long history of entitlement, R16

One that’s impossible to maintain indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2023 1:20 PM

I am still waiting to hear about this place where you can retire at 55. Even where it might be an option, I suspect the payments are a pittance, not any substantial portion of your salary. You certainly can’t get US Social Security then unless maybe some sort of disability.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2023 1:23 PM

Just because things are shitty elsewhere, R16 and R17, doesn't mean the French should have to give up their retirement age.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2023 1:23 PM

R18, you can retire at 55 in Canada. You can't collect CPP till age 60, but many company pensions allow for retirement at 55. I have friends who retired at 55 and their company pension is between $50-60, 000. Of course that's half their working salary, but they'll get topped up once they reach 60 and can are eligible for CPP. Teachers, government workers, people who work for federally regulated industries (like the airlines and the railway) are all examples where early retirement is a possibility.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2023 1:29 PM

[quote] I am still waiting to hear about this place where you can retire at 55. Even where it might be an option, I suspect the payments are a pittance, not any substantial portion of your salary.

In the US, most military members can retire after only 10 or 20 years of service. And with excellent benefits, too.

Free healthcare, and regular cost of living adjustments.

And they're not restricted from working at other jobs after retirement. Even if they're on disability retirement.

I know someone in his early 50's who came to work in my office at $65,000 per year.

He retired from the US military in his 40's, and now he's just bouncing from job to job just for an extra paycheck. He quit after about six months, and moved on to something else because he got bored.

He gets his pension from the military, plus his salary from whatever job he chooses to take from now until he dies.

I think that firemen and policemen in the US get to retire after only 20 years, as well. Regardless of age.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2023 1:32 PM

Fuck him. He took this action by himself. No referrndum.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2023 1:36 PM

This is a commonly used retirement calculator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2023 1:36 PM

[Quote] A long history of entitlement

Interesting that emphasis of personal life over working until your fingers bleed for oligarchs is considered entitlement

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2023 1:45 PM

[Quote] He gets his pension from the military, plus his salary from whatever job he chooses to take from now until he dies.

The military pension isn’t really all that much. It’s a percentage of “basic pay,” which is only one of many different types of “pay” that make up a salary, including housing pay, meals, location etc. one cannot even qualify for a pension until working 20 yard in the military. At 20 years, a pension is 50% of basic pay.

So the pension can be somewhere around $30-$50k per year. To live comfortable, you have to get another job, have saved separately, and also rely on Ss

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2023 1:49 PM

^yards = years

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2023 1:50 PM

[quote] At 20 years, a pension is 50% of basic pay.

[quote] So the pension can be somewhere around $30-$50k per year.

I could live on that SO easily.

I'm not extravagant or materialistic, so I would be very comfortable with a retirement like that.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2023 1:52 PM

Please stop talking in our name when you don't know anything about what's going on, R2. No one thinks this is about migrants.

This is about forcefully and unilaterally pushing this reform without even letting the national assembly vote on it. I don't care if it's constitutional, this is not a democratic process. And choosing to do so while there's already a crisis and a lot of people are struggling financially was such a dumb move.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2023 2:03 PM

There are also many other benefits to being former military, such as preference in federal employment. They frequently get jobs they are not qualified to perform, remain in these jobs (and receive contractor $upport to actually get anything done), and ultimately collect two pensions. Many are anti-government, even though every dime they receive comes from taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2023 2:15 PM

R24, are you suggesting the French are all working their fingers to the bones for oligarchs? Because they're not.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2023 3:43 PM

OP's pic is like the most French photo I have ever seen. Fuck them for raising the retirement age.

I think 50 should be the retirement age. 30 years of hard work and roughly 20-30 years to enjoy the rest of your life as you see fit while still having some healthy/vitality left. Too many people set their hopes on doing what they want in their late 60's only to see (or actually not see) it ever happen. I still want to go on vacation while I have a good body and look hot in a speedo.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2023 6:32 PM

R16 You should read more about it, actually

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2023 6:37 PM

[quote] I still want to go on vacation while I have a good body and look hot in a speedo.

R31, something tells me that time has passed.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2023 7:55 PM

R31, that’s great. How is it supposed to be paid for? You could confiscate every dime from the rich and it wouldn’t pay for this.

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2023 8:00 PM

Of course, what R34 says is correct. R31 is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2023 8:03 PM

The rioting French are correct. Get rid of the Tax Havens and tax the rich fairly. We're talking about the wealthiest countries in the world. What's the point of being a wealthy country if the working stiffs have to work until they drop dead? The wealthiest countries in the world should have retirement at 60. Take the money back from the .1%. They are taking ALL the wealth.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2023 8:10 PM

The very rich are paying nothing. ZERO. And they are getting richer.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2023 8:11 PM

Paris is not beautiful now.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2023 8:15 PM

The retirement age is supposed to go down as humankind advances in knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2023 8:16 PM

Well, R38, they better get their shit together before I visit in May.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2023 8:19 PM

Political tactic meant to calm down mass protests against increasing retirement age by 2 years? France's Minister of labor and unemployment , Olivier Dussopt, just revealed he's gay.

Accused on social networks of instrumentalizing his "coming out" in the midst of political turmoil, Minister Olivier Dussopt replies: "The policy of diversion does not work"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2023 8:21 PM

Lol they don’t take coffee to go even if they’re in the line of fire

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2023 8:37 PM

Désolé mais monsieur le ministre Dussopt n’est pas hot. Au suivant !

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2023 9:05 PM

R39 Alas, we had a very forward thinking US president and they assassinated him.

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2023 9:34 PM

If you are a government worker, you can still retire after 30 years of service in the same job in the US, right?

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2023 9:37 PM

France’s government retirement programs (there are several) account for 14% of French GDP. In the US, Social Security is 5% of GDP.

As in the US, it’s funded by a combination of employer and employee contributions and like the US, those currently working fund the benefits of retirees. People in France live longer than Americans and, as in the US, that means the work force is supporting more retirees.

More benefits for more people collecting benefits for a longer period of time have to be paid for.

How?

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2023 11:43 PM

How? TAX THE FUCKING RICH. PROGRESSIVE TAXATION.

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2023 11:45 PM

You'd think this was brain surgery or theoretical physics. It's not.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2023 11:46 PM

Soaking the rich doesn’t work anymore. Money knows no boundaries and the rich can move it very easily.

Massachusetts voters just passed a 4% surtax on income in excess of $1 million dollars annually that went into effect as of January 1st, 2023. So far, approximately 1500 people subject to the tax have changed their residence to another state, most of them to Florida where there’s no state income tax. If they stayed in MA, they’d be paying 9%.

It’s estimated the Commonwealth will lose six million dollars a day in tax revenue as a result. Not to mention the charitable contributions that used to stay in Massachusetts because they went to MGH or the Symphony or the MSPCA are now going to Florida along with the jobs those people supported.

The rich can move their money as easily as their country of residence. It’s not like it’s brain surgery.

by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2023 12:14 AM

Paris is burning

by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2023 2:57 AM

Are they not scared of a fireball hurling right for that table? Gotta love the French

by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2023 3:00 AM

Macron's a BANKER. Never trust bankers.

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2023 3:13 AM

Je survivrai!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2023 3:27 AM

It's over.

[quote]France's top constitutional body has cleared the raising of the state pension age from 62 to 64, and rejected calls for a referendum by political opponents.

[quote]But the Constitutional Council struck out some of the controversial reforms citing legal flaws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2023 4:31 PM

Oooh la la!

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2023 7:10 PM

This is happening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2023 7:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!