Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black Teens Discover Proof to Pythagorean Theorem

Something good happening in school. FINALLY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 12, 2023 5:53 AM

Cool

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2023 5:31 AM

Amazing.

And I thought they would be boys.

But I didn't see the proof in the article.

Where is it???

I teach math part time, and I'd love to be able to explain it.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2023 6:42 AM

Nerdy girls unite!

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2023 8:25 AM

Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 10:26 AM

That's awesome. I wish the article had attempted to present the content of their proof. I hope it's not one of those situations where the reporter fundamentally misunderstands what's been accomplished. I'm a bit skeptical that high schoolers have stumbled upon what (per the reporter at least) centuries of mathematicians have not, but I suppose fresh minds bring fresh perspectives.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2023 10:43 AM

The white supremacists on this forum are fuming.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 10:52 AM

R6 So are the black racists, according to your post.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 11:02 AM

[quote]And I thought they would be boys.

It's like they killed two birds with one stone -- black AND female!

Is Essence, a magazine for black women, the only one covering this story?

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2023 11:15 AM

Scores of media reported this story using qualifiers such as "say", "reported", "claim", "reportedly. TV Station 4WWL even goes so far as to proclaim "New Orleans teens make history". But not one medium includes the proof, but rather ony vague hints. Such as from the American Mathematical Society abstract:

[quote] “There are no trigonometric proofs, because all the fundamental formulae of trigonometry are themselves based upon the truth of the Pythagorean Theorem.” But that isn’t quite true: in our lecture we present a new proof of Pythagoras’s Theorem which is based on a fundamental result in trigonometry—the Law of Sines—and we show that the proof is independent of the Pythagorean trig identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2023 11:17 AM

OPs post is a little misleading, the articles about what the students accomplished are not. The students presented this work at a regional mathematics conference and have been encouraged to present their work to a peer reviewed journal. Additional scrutiny by the larger community of research comes with review, and if accepted, publication. Best of luck to them.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 11:49 AM

So they haven't discovered proof?

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 12:33 PM

[quote] Scores of media reported this story using qualifiers such as "say", "reported", "claim", "reportedly. TV Station 4WWL even goes so far as to proclaim "New Orleans teens make history". But not one medium includes the proof, but rather ony vague hints. Such as from the American Mathematical Society abstract:

I was basically going to say what R10 said.

Their theory now has to undergo scrutiny by various mathematical/scientific organizations to be verified and proven.

I think once that happens, it can be published.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 12:51 PM

There have been a lot of proofs of Pythagoras, but this is supposed to be the first one that has been achieved using trigonometry, is my understanding.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 12:53 PM

Does this mean match isn't racist anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 12:55 PM

^ Goddamn it, MATH not match!

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2023 12:57 PM

See, R15?

You were punished for trying to be a dick.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2023 12:59 PM

Except they haven't. Ofcourse the CCP shills (like psycho R6] in this thread don't care about facts.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2023 1:09 PM

R12 The proof was also presented on 18 March at the Special Session on Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics Research at the American Mathematics Association. Yet there is no follow-up or further news. One would think that the public presentation of a proof this historic, that no one's come up with in 2,000 years, would receive far more attention.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2023 1:14 PM

Good for them & good for all of us 🤗

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2023 1:25 PM

Fine, I’ll be that guy.

Was it necessary for them to title the article Black Teens Discover…

Wouldn’t Teens be as or more impressive than the ‘surprised’ layer that declaring Black Teens has folded into such a title?

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2023 1:36 PM

Urban, low-income, ADOS, teen cis-females discover Proof to Pythagorean Theorem

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2023 1:54 PM

As a white gay male progressive, I’m thrilled that black students discovered this as opposed to just students.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2023 2:28 PM

Oops, Black students.

Didn’t capitalize.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2023 2:29 PM

Is "White gay male progressive, 58" the latest troll moniker?

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2023 2:32 PM

ADOS goals

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2023 2:33 PM

Here's the girls' proof. Surprisingly approachable: It does use a little calculus, but not like multivariable calc. You'd have to be an advanced math student in high school to do this, but it's not completely unreasonable. The "waffle cone" thing was really creative. Good for these two girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2023 4:37 PM

Thanks for the update r26

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2023 5:02 PM

Can they tap dance while they make their presentation?

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2023 5:07 PM

On DL, one is never too far from the cabin.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2023 5:11 PM

It's a *new* proof, not a proof to something we only conjectured. Still, really impressive that two high school students came up with it; most kids these days graduate from high school with the deductive skills of a fruit fly, at least when it comes to math.

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2023 5:17 PM

Sorry, math isn't real.

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2023 5:24 PM

[quote] As a white gay male progressive, I’m thrilled that black students discovered this as opposed to just students.

Oh, Attmay, you may be white but you're not progressive. You're crazy, autistic, racist, and misogynistic. Now, go away and up your dosage.

by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2023 5:27 PM

Do they have to go to another building to go to the bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2023 10:06 PM

How is this theorem useful?

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2023 10:24 PM

Maybe because calculus and geometry are based on it - think about it next time you drive across a bridge.

by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2023 10:30 PM

I wonder who they copied their notes from?

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2023 10:35 PM

The young lady looks like she may be part Asian!

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2023 10:38 PM

R35 Like the Diversity Bridge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2023 10:45 PM

Go suck DeSantis' tiny dick, R38.

by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2023 10:47 PM

R39 = butthurt.

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2023 10:58 PM

Do I need to know this Pythagorean Theorem before I lay down my carpet?

Will this Pythagorean Theorem be vital for me to know before I get on my tractor and plough my field?

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2023 4:07 AM

I'm thrilled for these girls. Doesn't matter if it proves out or not. They're using their brains and they'll keep coming up with new things.

This may have something to do with their success.

St. Mary's Academy

St. Mary's Academy is a private Catholic K-12 school in New Orleans, Louisiana run by the Sisters of the Holy Family. Founded in 1867, it is one of the oldest Black Catholic schools in the country. It admits girls and boys until grade 7, and admits only girls for grades 8-12.

by Anonymousreply 42April 12, 2023 5:36 AM

That is why I don’t believe in all the anti-woke stuff because thanks to the woke movement and the civil rights movement writ large, some white male teacher didn’t come along and steal credit for this.

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2023 5:38 AM

Shut up R43. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 44April 12, 2023 5:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!