Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Hampshire

#1 in overall freedom

#1 in public safety

lowest crime rate

zero income taxes

lowest poverty rate

fastest growing economy

#6 highest salaries

#2 healthiest population (hot guys who aren't fat)

All of this is possible if you just vote for sane republicans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 8, 2023 1:42 AM

#6 in education

#3 in economic mobility

#1 in taxpayer ROI

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2023 4:55 AM

OP- That's a LOT of fuckin money for a house ESPECIALLY in New Hampshire and it's only on .93 acres?

What is that small building near the dock- a Snack Bar for FAT WHORES

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2023 4:55 AM

Both of their congressional reps are Dems, not "sane Republicans" (one is openly gay, too).

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2023 4:55 AM

r2 #1 in fastest increasing property values. Also, #1 in most population growth in the Northeast.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 4:56 AM

r3 Yes but the state is run entirely by non-MAGA republicans.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2023 4:56 AM

r2 its a love shack hon

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 4:56 AM

It's on the fanciest lake. Think Kennebunkport expect without Babs gray pussy.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 5:01 AM

Atrocious. HATE IT

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2023 5:04 AM

I have a friend who lives there. First time I visited it was -13 degrees.

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2023 5:06 AM

r9 It's amazing in the summer though.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 5:15 AM

Tucked Away was gorgeous until the feds came.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 5:16 AM

I still wouldn't want to live there. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 5:20 AM

It’s a nice state but the grass is always greener. I’m outside of Boston and friends with a lot of New Hampshire people who moved to Massachusetts to get away from their redneck towns.

I personally have nothing bad to say about it but I wouldn’t want to live there.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 5:34 AM

Right-wing propaganda thread.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 5:36 AM

What's its ranking in terms of diversity?

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2023 5:37 AM

r15 It's 94% white but it was also the 5th state in the country to legalize gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2023 5:40 AM

Asking nearly four times what they bought it for less than seven years ago, with just a few improvements. Over 220 days on Zillow. All of the bedrooms are small and the bathrooms are basic except for the master bedroom/bathroom. Someone's likely to get injured schlepping laundry up and down all of those stairs. Apparently single-pane windows that won't keep out the cold in the those NH winters. Are you the desperate Republican realtor, OP?

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2023 5:43 AM

[quote] #1 in overall freedom

WTF does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2023 5:44 AM

The ugliest $2 million dollar house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2023 5:46 AM

The safest city in the US is Frisco, Texas.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2023 5:47 AM

Libertarians are trying to take over, so no thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2023 5:47 AM

r18 Gun rights, weed, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2023 5:48 AM

Born and lived in the Boston area for my first 48 years.

Been in New Hampshire for almost 5 years and I love it and only regret not moving here sooner.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2023 5:50 AM

r23 Same story as me except NYC.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2023 5:57 AM

You can keep your Sununununununus

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2023 6:00 AM

[quote] non-MAGA republicans

No such thing anymore!

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2023 6:04 AM

NH used to be 50-50 reps and dems. Now it's a three way split between reps dems and libertarians.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2023 6:07 AM

They go dem in national elections and rep in state elections.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2023 6:08 AM

Portsmouth is jammed with amazing architecture and full of well-educated people.

Concord was an arts colony that ranks with the most beautiful places in the world.

The Republicans are of the Rockefeller type overall.

Alas, libertarians are flooding in in an attempt to take over. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

I'm thinking "a lot of dead libertarians"

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2023 6:10 AM

[quote] It's 94% white

OP's statistics clarified.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2023 6:15 AM

It's a frozen uncultured new money redneck shithole, by and large.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2023 6:20 AM

If I'm going to live in a place with a real winter, give me CO any day.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2023 6:24 AM

Gay friendly?

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2023 6:26 AM

The house's exterior color is weird. I don't care for it.

What color or shade is that, anyway?

Oh, the city of Manchester, New Hampshire, about 55 miles from downtown Boston,, is, ummm "diverse," so not as lily-white as some may think who aren't from the region. Relatively high crime rate for the state, I think.

Still traces of French Canadians in the area?

At least it has Manchester Boston airport, popular with Southwest airlines. It included Boston in the name a few years ago to show its near Boston -- and not the U.K.

Manchester has low-level pro baseball and hockey teams. Southern New Hampshire University arena hosts the hockey team and some concerts, so some things to do. And it has a stage theatre downtown and a museum and a good steakhouse.

Don't forget the Forbidden Fruit adult bookstore with booths, if you're still into that scene in 2023. I went once in 2012, surprised it's still there; I still see a Craigslist reference occasionally in the now-smallish and less profane Missed Connections section since its revamping five years ago.

Market Basket and Hannaford supermarkets seem popular.

Oh, and a poster mentioned actually moving to nearby Massachusetts to avoid the "rednecks" in New Hampshire. Hmm...I have lived in the Boston area most of my adult life, and you'd be surprised how many "redneck" types I see on the subways and such. (Bad grammar, cursing, spitting, sloppy). Surprising to me, as parts or much of the Boston area, as well as parts or much of Massachusettsz are considered educated and high-acheiving. Right?

Hmm....I don't know why I just went off on a Manchester tangent, but I did At least it gives info to those who may believe its (yes ..its, not it's or even its'!) urban area is all white and safe, only because it's New Hampshire..

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2023 6:29 AM

My family lived there for decades until recently. I love NH, it's pretty, smells good, the people are reserved and not phoney and it's fucking freezing half the year so the less hearty never come bother us!

It is clean with tons of great lakes to swim in. It can be a bit red necky, but mostly very accepting and pretty friendly if you understand Yankees. I love it.

You must visit this place!

Jordan's Ice Creamery, Route 106 & North Main St., Belmont, NH. Tel. (603)267-1900

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2023 6:33 AM

r34 Manchester and Nashua are gentrifying really fast. The opposite most other northeast cities.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2023 6:34 AM

Biden has been sending some migrants there so it might diversify very fast. But the libertarians are also sent 2,100 white tech bros last year according to their official numbers. So it's a race to see who can get their faster.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2023 6:38 AM

And isn't Keene, NH, still a cute little town, plus it has Keene State University for some culture? Too bad its famous pumpkin festival was shut down just a few years ago. Bad behavior by patrons, if I recall?

And isn't Monadnock artsy? It has Mt. Monadnock right there? And I've started to see Monadnock spring water gallons at some Star markets in Boston in recent years

Dover, and its tiny downtown, near the University of New Hampshire in Durham, seems appealing from what I've read. Plus Durham should be fun, with the college right there? And I think Newcastle next to Durham is highly desirable with expensive homes?

Oh, and don't forget Dartmouth College, ivy league, and the many prep schools scattered thru the state.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2023 6:48 AM

Why would I want to live somewhere that property values are skyrocketing through the roof?

I can get that here on the West Coast, with much better weather and nicer people.

No fucking thank you.

It's funny how every goddamned shit hole in the world seems to think that they can charge millions of dollars for what should TRULY go for $100,000 to $200,000.

Get real.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2023 6:49 AM

Oh, and New Hampshire has its own PBS station. I get it in Boston on my YoutubeTV. Plus WMUR, ch. 9, its ABC affiliate, has a weeknight New Hampshire Chronicle magazine show just like in Boston on WCVB ch. 5, featuring local and regional restaurants, culture, history, people, festivilals, etc. That's unique to most American tv markets nowadays.

And I assume Manchester has a Pride celebration? So yes, parts of it can be appealing to some of us possibly too-stuffy urban and urbane DLers.

And...winters are not nearly as snowy and bitterly cold this generation, just like the Boston area.. Boston had almost no snow this winter -- and just one 36-hour stretch of bitter cold (though record setting or nearly so for that short span). But even NYC and way beyond suffered the arctic blast that weekend.

Yes, southern and especially northern New Hampshire are much colder and snowier than Boston, but I assume it was relatively mild there this winter like in Boston. And I think many Christmases have had no snow in recent years or even decades, at least in the southern parts of the state like in Boston.

And no, it's not winter six months of the year...many day temps in the 40s, 50s and even 60s here and there, most winters, in between the cold and snowy days, if like the Boston area. Probably not snow on the ground for too long in most of the recent years...and ski resorts at times beg for snow, even in NH some winters.

Yes, its humid and warm at times in summers.

But if it's backward culture and extreme winters keeping DLers away from New Hampshire, maybe it's time to reconsider. It's not totally accurate.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2023 7:12 AM

Portsmouth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2023 7:38 AM

R34 yeah there’s white trash in Boston. All I said was my NH friends said they moved to Boston to get away from the redneck towns they came from.

New Hampshire has a small population. I think in Boston between the North Shore, Boston, and South Shore there’s more people.

So in NH the towns are smaller. Towns with 2,000 or 5,000 people. I guess those towns in NH can nice to move into when you’re an old white person. But you can see why young people would want to break out and move to a bigger city like Boston.

Also being gay, the NH guys I know come to Boston from Grindr. A small state with a small population is going to have a small gay population.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2023 8:20 AM

Shitty weather.

Poor taco selection.

No Willie Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2023 9:15 AM

r25 I could picture him being hot. He kinda has BDF and I'm assuming he's pretty muscular under that suit.

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2023 9:32 AM

Way too cold. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2023 9:49 AM

[quote]It's 94% white

This is why it has the lowest crime rate. Has nothing to do with guns.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2023 9:57 AM

I knew we'd get around to overt racism eventually.

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2023 9:59 AM

No, John Sununu was not a "sane" republican. There is no such thing, as he proved. Republicans are evil, period.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2023 10:08 AM

I have friends in Wolfeboro on Lake Winnipesaukee and it is absolutely gorgeous and the town is charming but I thought the people are kind of frosty - I’m from Charleston, SC and I don’t think they liked my accent. The winters are brutal though and my friends tell me about shoveling snow off their roof. I got on Scruff while I was there and the pickings were slim and horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2023 10:57 AM

How are the pickings in Charleston, SC R49?

I'll bet there are lots of hot guys.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2023 12:54 PM

R47 it's inevitable, given all the libertarians.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2023 1:13 PM

[quote]Portsmouth is jammed with amazing architecture and full of well-educated people.

It's also jammed with traffic and tourists pretty much year-round. And housing costs are through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2023 1:26 PM

[quote]Portsmouth is jammed with amazing architecture and full of well-educated people.

It's also jammed with traffic and tourists pretty much year-round. And housing costs are through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2023 1:26 PM

Tell me more about sane Republicans I'm not seeing any around.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2023 1:33 PM

I find it to be just the opposite of the person who said many New Hampshire people moving to Massachusetts to avoid the rednecks.

The housing market is booming in New Hampshire. Many, many Massachusetts people moving here to avoid the overpopulated state of Massachusetts. Avoid the 45 minute trips (each way) to the supermarket, 1.5 miles away due to the miles and miles of traffic in all the cities outside of Boston. Even as far up as Beverly. Avoid/getting away from the rude, entitled people in the supermarket, shit hole employees who give you an attitude for simply walking in to order something from the coffee shop etc..

Granted, This will also happen to many of these towns in NH with the housing boom going on now, but I give it a good 10 to15 years before my town and the surrounding towns are destroyed by these cucarachas.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2023 1:35 PM

[quote]the people are reserved and not phoney...

Sadly, R35, I do understand "Yankees" (as opposed to folks like me from the mid-Atlantic states); I spent 3 1/2 of the most miserable years of my life in CT. And that little tidbit of yours I quoted above captures the very essence of the Yankee culture better than anything else I've ever read.

You people are so sour, dour, and paranoid that if you think a stranger is pleasant to you, they're "phoney" and want something from you. I got news for you "reserved" Yankees: yes, there are places (most of the rest of the country, in fact) where people are actually warm and affectionate, laugh right out loud at things that are funny, and go out of their way to be kind and welcoming to strangers.

You Yankees need to get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2023 1:46 PM

What do these mean in terms of statistics?

[quote] #1 in overall freedom

[quote] #1 in public safety

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2023 1:53 PM

R56…I dunno on that. I’m from the south and people in the Massachusetts hilltowns wouldn’t stop talking to me. All were very friendly, curious about where I live (especially the weather) and funny about their towns.

You know we have nasty people in the south, right? Ritzy areas of CT are no worse than Buckhead or Green Hills.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2023 2:05 PM

I lived in NH for a year 40 years ago, and what I remember is the ungodly cold, the depressing little cities like Nashua and Manchester, and the people, many of whom struck my teenage self as frankly weird. I would not go back.

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2023 2:21 PM

You guys are also failing to mention it ranks in the Top 5 biggest opioid involved deaths in the US.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2023 2:59 PM

Astronomical property tax rates more than offset no income or sales taxes.

Minimal social services.

Huge drug problems.

Shitty healthcare.

Paradise, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2023 3:05 PM

Yeah someone here mentioned Manchester.

That’s like Gloucester, MA to me. Everyone wears sweatshirts in the summer to hide their collapsed veins.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2023 3:13 PM

R46 It’s cause a large portion of the population is too dozed off on heroin and fentanyl to commit crime.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2023 3:26 PM

Op if it's so great why are you telling people about it? You want to have more people move there? Are you insane? Do you know more people there means it's going to go to shit!?

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2023 3:32 PM

Homes are expensive on Lake Winnipesaukee.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2023 3:38 PM

Libertarians are one thing - a bad thing when a bunch of the move to a single town and try to take over local government as is happening now in NH.

The Sovereign Citizens up there are quite another. They think the state’s “Live Free or Die” motto means they don’t have to recognize any government: none of the rules or laws apply to them. You’d love them as neighbors.

The stretch along the Massachusetts border is mostly populated by former Massachusetts residents who thought it would be cheaper. It’s not and they’re fucked. The commute to where the jobs are down I 93 sucks, too. The rest of it with a couple of exceptions (Portsmouth, Jeffrey, Peterborough - Thornton Wilder’s “Our Town,” Hanover, Dublin and the towns on Lake Winnipesaukee) is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2023 4:33 PM

My parents purchased a home in Concord, NH in 1956 for $ 9,500. The house is now accessed at $ 380,000 and the property taxes each year are higher than what they paid for the house in 1956. It far offsets any lack of sales tax.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2023 4:34 PM

I think that may be Romney's house.

One of the best Italian restaurants I've ever eaten at was in Nashua NH. 'Michael Timothy's' The last time I was there - pre-pandemic - it had changed (though still owned by the chef and his wife) and was lackluster. I thought I was eating at a chain restaurant. Too bad. Maybe a victim of popularity.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2023 4:43 PM

I think no matter where you move to in this country, people are suspicious of you because you didn't grow up there. I grew up on Long Island but my mother's family was from New England. My grandmother was born in Manchester -by-the -sea MA and my grandfather's family was from Colebrook NH which is 6 miles from the Canadian border. My grandfather used to tell me that I would always be accepted there because he and his family came from there but anyone that didn't have a connection wouldn't be. It was a very progressive state though. My Great grandmother owned a coal and ice business which she inherited from her parents. She was always accepted as the owner and that was in the early 1900's. On the other hand my grandmother on father's side was from Michigan and was a pathologist who was never allowed to advance because she was a female. She ended up having a boss young enough to be her child and who she had to teach everything to. My grandfather had a plane when he was 18 in 1928 and used to barnstorm with Lindberg. My grandfather used to fly in and out of this little town of less than 2,000 people and they had a runway and hangar.

I loved my time in the summers in NH. I learned how to row a canoe at the Balsams. My grandfather worked there one summer so my sister and I got to spend everyday with the kids who were staying at the hotel and were entertained by a counselor. My grandparents were the 1st to build a house on a hill so they were allowed to name the street their house was on which they named after me. I think there are about 10-12 houses on it now.

I moved to PA where it took a long time to be accepted and I think what it is, is that you are raised with the values of the place you grew up in but those are different where ever you go so if you move to a place where the values are different or you see things differently because of where you grew up, that is where the problem lies. Because I grew up in a progressive place and then moved to rural America we had a hard time relating to each other. I have been in PA now for 48 years and I am still amazed how rural people live in their own world which is what surrounds them. I have friends that never ever watch the news because it either doesn't affect them (they don't think it does) or they do not want to know what is going on in the outside world because it scares them. I have friends that never travel more than 100 miles from where they grew up. One time a 23 year old said this was the furthest she had ever been away from home. When I asked where she was from, it was less than 50 miles away.

I think all places are welcoming as long as you don't try and impose your beliefs that go against what they learned growing up. The south is supposed to be the most welcoming but I found it to be the worst place in the country. If you weren't on the tourist route the people treated you awful because you were a Yankee and they let you know it. I had been raised without prejudice and my mother hated the way black people were treated in the South so I already had formed an opinion of them but they just proved it when I got there. I vowed to never go back and I haven't. I have always felt bad for those Southerners that have tried to change the view of the South with little to no avail.

So no matter where you go you will always be more comfortable with those that you grew up in the same generalized area as yourself.

No matter where I have gone, NH has always been my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2023 4:53 PM

R67 By way of contrast, my parents had a house built in Massachusetts in 1951 for $12,000 and doubled its size in 1958 for ten grand more. The last time it was sold it went for $1,200,000. The property taxes there are now $6600 a year.

IOW, a house that’s worth more than three times as much with taxes a third (or more) less than those of the place in NH.

NH’s much-touted Freedumb costs a lot.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2023 5:07 PM

r69 Fantastic post!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2023 5:47 PM

I want to move to New Hampshire, said nobody I have known, ever. It sounds like it is freezing cold and looks expensive. I have fantasized about living somewhere where life is easier, cleaner, and the people less complicated. I feel like it's been cold/rainy in SF since pretty Christmas and I've realized anything under 50 degrees is just too cold and I've let go of the fantasy. I would never leave the house with snow everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2023 5:55 PM

NH #1 for Tiddlywink players!

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2023 5:56 PM

R68 Romney's place is in Wolfeboro.

by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2023 5:56 PM

R66 And that’s the biggest problem with New Hampshire.

Almost 16% of NH travels outside the state and 10% of it is to Massachusetts.

How much you want to bet that 10% of Massachusetts workers in NH are a driving force behind NH’s boom.

Like yeah you can live in a beautiful neighborhood in NH and drive to Boston everyday for 2 hours back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 75March 26, 2023 5:59 PM

R75 nails it.

Also, Portland Maine's boom is thanks to Massachusetts as well- Remote workers.

I have lived in the NH seacoast for 20 years since college and have always been employed in Massachusetts.

There are very few well paying jobs in NH, Maine, and VT.

by Anonymousreply 76March 26, 2023 6:05 PM

It's a gay friendly state. Also, remember Pete B won the primary here.

by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2023 6:07 PM

[quote] My parents purchased a home in Concord, NH in 1956 for $ 9,500. The house is now accessed at $ 380,000

[quote] By way of contrast, my parents had a house built in Massachusetts in 1951 for $12,000 and doubled its size in 1958 for ten grand more. The last time it was sold it went for $1,200,000. The property taxes there are now $6600 a year.

The only thing that R67 and R70 have proven, is that greedy house flippers, real estate agents, and developers have made owning a home in this country COMPLETELY unaffordable for the average person.

And the ones who can "afford" it will be in debt for most of their lives.

They have put the so-called "American Dream" out of touch for future generations, who can no longer look forward to owning a home, the way that their grand parents and great grand parents could.

Because the entire system is corrupt and fucked, and based purely on money and greed, and not making housing affordable for anyone but the extremely wealthy.

That's exactly why this thread is completely bogus.

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2023 6:16 PM

Yeah. Like I said before, I have a lot of friends from NH and I’ve gone to their neck of the woods and visited for parties and vacations and etc.

But a lot of it was very blue collar. Like Gloucester. I mean some entire towns are all waitresses and cooks.

It’s just like Massachusetts. You have to be really wealthy to live further away from Boston but the further away from Boston, the less high paying jobs there are. But in Massachusetts there’s still Worcester on the other side. And if you live in central Massachusetts, Rhode Island isn’t far away.

I have a friend who’s a wedding photographer and he lives close to the middle of Massachusetts and he’s able to nail Providence, Cape Cod, Boston, and New Hampshire without having to drive for more than an hour.

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2023 6:19 PM

R77 Mehhhhh being from Massachusetts I think gay friendly and gay tolerance are 2 different things.

As a gay person, the most comfortable place to be gay is in P-Town (obviously) and Somerville, MA. You’ll get looks everywhere else if you’re out with your boyfriend.

Even in Salem, MA which is super gay friendly, people turn their heads like the Exorcist when a gay couple walks down the street.

In Somerville they don’t blink twice. I’ve found “gay friendly” mostly means “we tolerate you”.

Maybe I’m just being picky.

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2023 6:26 PM

[quote] Even in Salem, MA which is super gay friendly, people turn their heads like the Exorcist when a gay couple walks down the street.

Salem is a haven for lesbians, and not really for gay men.

So it's not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2023 6:28 PM

R80 Somerville welcomes everyone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2023 7:18 PM

Great place OP. Everything is beautiful from the home itself to the placement and surrounding area.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2023 7:44 PM

Somerville is an overpriced sardine can. No thank you.

Crime central Chelsea is right next to Somerville and is up and coming too... just be sure to not make a wrong turn off your route. Your Audi will belong to some hood rat and a cap may busted right in your ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2023 7:46 PM

[quote]Why would I want to live somewhere that property values are skyrocketing through the roof?

It keeps the POC out and the crime down.

by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2023 9:22 PM

My friend lives in Nashua and I've been there in the summer and winter. BOTH were horrid. The summer was a humid, sticky mess and the winter was cold AF. There isn't really anything to do there. My friend is pretty isolated. Stays home, watches movies. She's depressed quite often but she has not made many friends since moving there. I like some isolation, but I remember coming home to LA and being really glad I live here. NH is beautiful but give me the varied cultures of LA. I have so many friends here and enjoy just meeting up whenever the mood strikes us.

by Anonymousreply 86March 26, 2023 9:43 PM

R78 Had you invested the same amount of money mentioned in both examples in the S&P 500 in the years cited, you’d have $350,000 more than the house is worth in NH and $120,000 more in Massachusetts. You’d had to have to pay income taxes on the investments and property taxes on the houses, not to mention repairs and updates, so it’s an imperfect but illustrative comparison.

And a comparison that doesn’t factor in what you would also have saved what you’d otherwise pay for rent for about 70 years. That’s not greed. It’s mostly inflation and location.

by Anonymousreply 87March 26, 2023 10:05 PM

[quote]But a lot of it was very blue collar. Like Gloucester. I mean some entire towns are all waitresses and cooks.

Signed,

Veda Pierce Forrester

by Anonymousreply 88March 27, 2023 12:32 AM

R78, additionally, people are listening to financial gurus who tell them not to pay off their mortgages. That’s crazy pants in my head. I put 20% down and got the 20 year mortgage; my house was paid off by 48 years old. Now at 55, I’ve only had to be concerned with property taxes and insurance for 7 years. The peace of mind and security is the best thing I’ve ever done. Your home is your foundation and base of your life. Give yourself the gift of security; it’s much easier to walk away from a job when your total overhead is $1,200 versus $$3,900. I could work at Target and continue to live in my home at the same level.

by Anonymousreply 89March 27, 2023 2:31 AM

R69 on the west coast especially California and Las Vegas many people are transplants. It's normal. They're not suspicious because they didn't grow up either.

by Anonymousreply 90March 27, 2023 2:24 PM

One of our resident racists at R85.

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2023 5:12 PM

Third lowest taxes in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 30, 2023 10:43 AM

Isn’t Somalia #1 in overall freedom?

by Anonymousreply 93March 30, 2023 11:20 AM

WTF does 'overall freedom' mean?

As already said, NH is nothing without Mass - just low paying jobs and neverending fireworks. The 'low taxes' thing is shit too - what you aren't paying in sales tax you are paying in NJ-level property tax and getting very little infrastructure and in return. NH got effed by the capping of the SALT deduction. You can only tout your low tax burden in NH as someone who works in NH and not MA - and is a renter (except that there's no housing).

by Anonymousreply 94March 30, 2023 11:33 AM

OP stated that “overall freedom” means weed and guns. Typical American “freedom”….

by Anonymousreply 95March 30, 2023 11:34 AM

Chelsea is awesome and has the best Market Basket.

by Anonymousreply 96March 30, 2023 11:50 AM

[quote]Concord was an arts colony that ranks with the most beautiful places in the world.

Paris, Rome, Venice, Concord NH...

by Anonymousreply 97March 30, 2023 12:10 PM

R96 All of the Market Basket's are SO crowded because they're cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 98March 30, 2023 12:14 PM

The views are stunning, and most of the house is attractive (some of the décor is questionable). But I shudder to think what that heating bill must be for, what, six months of the year or more? It's the polar opposite (pun intended) of a gorgeous ocean view mansion in Miami... with $50K a month on AC.

by Anonymousreply 99March 30, 2023 12:14 PM

Better value for money and it's in Portsmouth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 30, 2023 12:23 PM

R89 Having a mortgage allows you to deduct the interest and the taxes on the property. As most of us age we spend more on health insurance and medical and dental costs. Those costs can be deducted as well to the extent they exceed 7.5% of gross income if you itemize deductions. Keeping AGI down is important, otherwise your Medicare premium rises. In Massachusetts anyway - but not in NH - there’s what’s called the Senior Circuit breaker for property taxes, rebating the part of the total if the tax again exceeds a percentage of AGI.

Mortgaged or not, you need housing whether you’re paying rent to a landlord or paying the mortgage to the bank. If you can’t deduct part of that cost, you’re paying more. If you’re not making any (or much) money, paying off the mortgage when you retire can make sense, but if you have an income in addition to Social Security, it often makes more sense financially to pay down a mortgage and avail yourself of the deductions.

by Anonymousreply 101March 30, 2023 12:36 PM

The taxes on that place, R100, were $33,000 a year three years ago. Given the increases in RE prices, it’s about 10% more now, or roughly $3,000 a month for property taxes, $26,000 of which are not deductible.

That is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 102March 30, 2023 12:46 PM

Arizona. All THAT can be yours if you vote republic party.

by Anonymousreply 103March 30, 2023 2:04 PM

There is no such thing as a sane Republican.

There may be Republicans who are kept in check or hate Trump. But when given the chance they always show their true colors.

Any Dem who places any faith in them is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 104March 30, 2023 2:16 PM

R96 I’m on my way there now…and not much waiting in line when there are 44 cashiers.

As for anyone who thinks it’s too crowded, figure out when to go that’s not crowded. Early mornings and anytime Wednesday - the slowest day of the week in the grocery business. Wednesday night if you go after work is even slower. Don’t go early in the month as MA loads the EBT cards on the first of the month and lot of people need to stock up if they’ve exhausted last month’s benefits.

by Anonymousreply 105March 30, 2023 2:54 PM

R100 - Hmmm, no water view. That's not exactly apples to apples.

by Anonymousreply 106March 30, 2023 10:15 PM

I worked at a hotel there once...

by Anonymousreply 107March 30, 2023 10:17 PM

The governor was on Bill Maher tonight. He did an okay job but they kind of just talked past each other a lot. Bill was surprisingly hostile and pushing him on a lot of trump stuff.

by Anonymousreply 108April 1, 2023 8:39 AM

New Hampshire is also the least religious state in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 1, 2023 10:14 AM

Democrats have controlled the governorship of NH for 18 out of the last 26 years, and the state’s ridiculous 50,000 member state legislature routinely swings back and forth between the two parties. The state is not some “sane Republican” stronghold.

R77 Bernie Sanders won the NH Primary both in 2016 and 2020

by Anonymousreply 110April 1, 2023 12:37 PM

Just saw the hyper NH nepo baby governor on Bill Maher. He’s exhausting. So many words, so little substance.

by Anonymousreply 111April 1, 2023 12:47 PM

[quote]#1 in overall freedom

And yet, the only state in the Northeast that doesn't have recreational marijuana.

by Anonymousreply 112April 1, 2023 2:02 PM

Lowest covid deaths in the continental US

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 8, 2023 1:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!