Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

5 years without Craiglist personals

Craigslist shut them down 5 years ago this month. I still miss it, that's where I got most of my hookups for 14 years.

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2023 1:23 PM

Outrageous! Tragic! Criminal! Them Mrkans are a bunch of prudes! Prewwwwwwdes I say!

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2023 3:09 AM

I concur, OP. It was so deliciously low. It was so horribly dirty.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2023 3:11 AM

It was the absolute best.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2023 3:14 AM

You want to know where they all went? I took every single Craigslist personal ad in existence and put them on an everything bagel. 🥯 🕳

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 3:15 AM

since I am not a whore, I don't care op

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2023 3:16 AM

R5, more likely, you couldn't score anything even on Craigslist.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 3:19 AM

Same OP. I loved it, and am still bitter about them getting rid of it..

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 3:34 AM

Memories, of the men I left behind...Misty watered colored memories-of the married guys who shot their loads.

Best times I had in Philly and Wash DC.-So many men...so many times to make them feel better.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2023 4:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2023 4:30 AM

I was surprised when a friend said he bought something through Craigslist. I didn’t even think it still existed.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 4:33 AM

What can be done to bring it back? Another casualty of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 4:38 AM

[quote] I was surprised when a friend said he bought something through Craigslist. I didn’t even think it still existed.

They only shut down the personal ads.

I think they were afraid they were going to get sued.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 4:40 AM

score what?

stds?

robbed?

homophobic bait & switch?

srsly, gay men & their unhealthy complex toward questionable venue 4 intimacy is why they r slim pickings

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 4:50 AM

Depending on the area, back in the day you could score decent dick, sometimes better than the apps.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 5:08 AM

r12 Yes, the flood of female hookers that didn't know how to be discrete and their pimps trafficking in possible jailbait but of course, homos get blamed for chasing old married cock and hole, when other people were turning it into a chicken ranch.

There was govt intervention... mostly targeting the backpages, which ended up inevitably getting a mistrial.. but damage done to many, many, many sites. Not just classifieds/personals., And it hasn't even made a dent in human trafficking or child prostitution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2023 5:31 AM

I got the clap from Love@AOL. And herpes about the mouth.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2023 5:32 AM

r13 is this where you say they should join a monastery instead?

r16 Yeah, the younger generation of puriteens is full of idiots, like yourself, that think sex positivity, in turn, sex education is passe. Plus it requires interpersonal skills and they're all self diagnosed as autistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2023 5:36 AM

Unclentch R17

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2023 5:47 AM

[quote] And it hasn't even made a dent in human trafficking or child prostitution.

Of course not. It was just virtue signaling. I hope the person who introduced this bullshit bill was run out of office.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2023 7:05 AM

I remember there was a bisexual couple that picked up some dude on craigslist and he beheaded the guy with a sword and strangled the pregnant woman to death.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2023 7:09 AM

r20 so, we should never use any personals at all. Ever. We should only attend the church social.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2023 8:01 AM

r21 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2023 8:54 AM

r22 So, let's use the confessionals then... they already got a built in gloryhole.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2023 9:01 AM

Craigslist in the UK was fantastic. It was the last great sex and hookups that I had, once it closed I was at an age were I couldn’t be bothered to look elsewhere. I had about 40 years of having sex and the best years were the ones where I met guys at Craigslist.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2023 10:26 AM

[Quote] I remember there was a bisexual couple that picked up some dude on craigslist and he beheaded the guy with a sword and strangled the pregnant woman to death.

You left out the part that they both deserved it

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2023 1:36 PM

[quote]that didn't know how to be discrete

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2023 2:03 PM

[quote]I remember there was a bisexual couple that picked up some dude on craigslist and he beheaded the guy with a sword and strangled the pregnant woman to death.

And that's solely CL's fault. There was no criminal activity, much less homicides, before CL and its hook up ads.

Nope.

None.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2023 2:04 PM

I had many years of hot dick and ass through CL. Tons of bi and married guys, they were the hottest.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2023 2:07 PM

r26 oh thank you for showing me the error of my ways. I'll use ain't next time.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2023 2:21 PM

I miss the ‘missed connections’…it is still there, but nothing like it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2023 2:22 PM

Seriously that was such a fantastic era - so easy for quick anonymous dick. Doublelist sucks, and I hate the apps.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2023 2:24 PM

R20 Thank god no one gets murdered anymore!!

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2023 2:26 PM

Sadly, there is no good alternative to Craigslist.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2023 11:51 PM

Double list is ok.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2023 12:24 AM

I got the best dick ever from there in 2010. French-Canadian guy from New Brushwick. 28yo blond blue-eyed, Hung. Kind of a dumb hillbilly, but soooo HOT.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2023 7:26 AM

CL should seriously consider bringing back the personal ads. Those ads are no different from what we see offered on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2023 7:40 AM

I met great guys on there. Ended up having 5 fuck buddies (all at the same time!) who I still keep in touch with, but no sex. I also met the love of my life on there.

I had a couple of Missed Connections shout outs, too.

Good times.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2023 7:49 AM

R37, we can assume you also found someone treat treat your STDs on CL, too. You're a whore, dear.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2023 7:52 AM

[quote] I miss the ‘missed connections’…it is still there, but nothing like it used to be.

I wonder why it just isn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2023 8:12 AM

r36 The more things stay the same.

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2023 8:13 AM

I'd assume proximity to the larger personals audience? I would browse the other personals sections and kind of hop on over to Missed Connections for a change of pace.

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2023 8:14 AM

I hooked up with my sexual ideal at a bathhouse. He totally vibed off each other and spent the entire at the bathhouse together, making love. He was beautiful and smart—unfortunately married to a woman, and they had a kid. He told me that he usually found sex by posting on Craigslist personals. I thought about him alot but knew I would fall head over heels if I met him again, so I never tried. About 6 months later, I thought about him. I looked on Craigslist and there he was—picture of his gorgeously hairy torso.

I hesitated. And then figured I’d write the next day to say hello and if he remembered me.

That just happened to be the last day of Craigslist personals. FUCK

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2023 12:24 PM

My dear friend found his partner after a post on missed connections.

He was visiting the west coast and met a guy at a coffee shop. They talked for a long while and got along very well. My friend had some errands to run so had to leave but kicked himself the whole time for not getting the guy’s number. He told a few of his West Coast friends about the encounter. A day or so later he returned his home on the east coast, still thinking about the guy.

A few days later his west coast friends called him and told him about a post in missed connections that seemed to be about him. It was!

He reconnected with the guy, they had a cross country relationship that went strong for three years and then my friend relocated to the west coast to be with the guy. It’s been about 10 years at this point

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2023 12:29 PM

[quote] Craigslist in the UK was fantastic.

UK banned personals as well?

by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Today horny folks use the Activities section to post cryptic personals.

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2023 12:33 PM

I hate nothing more than whores. All apps and sites that mention sex should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2023 12:36 PM

I agree with everyone above about having the best hook-ups on Craigslist. After my long-term partner and I split, I moved to Charleston and didn’t want a relationship or to go to bars so I used Craigslist. I immediately found out there were a lot of married guys on there abs they were so eager for dick - I had so many hot guys giving me head, it was unbelievable. I was so bummed when they ended the personals - it made no sense really. Grinder and Scruff just aren’t the same.

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2023 12:41 PM

[quote]I thought about him alot

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2023 3:02 PM

I miss it too, OP.

Although my heyday on the site was almost 20 years ago, when I moved to a little Midwestern college town for work. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. For almost two years. Almost every time I posted, I'd hook up with either a horny young college guy or some horny married DILF. It was a blast.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2023 3:12 PM

I learned a hell of a lot from the time I spent cruising that site.

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2023 3:33 PM

Married men are now safe from prostitution and LGBTQI soliciting. Hallelujah!

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2023 3:45 PM

Missed Connections was amazing.

I remember checking it CONSTANTLY after a long conversation with a guy while waiting to get an oil change at Jiffy Lube (Yeah, I know) in the early aughts.

I was seriously positive he would post, but it never happened. I did, however become addicted to looking at Missed Connections every day.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2023 6:09 PM

Me too, r52.

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2023 6:32 PM

I used to get a lot of hookups with AOL and then Craigslist. It’s very rare with Grindr. Maybe that’s because I’m no longer a hot, young thing.

It seems on Grindr, they want 100 pics whereas with AOL and CL, one or two were sufficient. And maybe that’s because technology has improved and you now can have a pic instantaneously.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2023 1:34 PM

I know we do a lot of repeat threads but this topic is so egregiously pathetic.

semi annual Craigslist nostalgia troll needs to let it the fuck go already.

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2023 2:03 PM

By the way, I hate to break it to you but most of those guys weren’t really married nor did they have a girlfriend. They just tell you that to keep you at arms length and at their beck and call.

Besides, social media and a change in men’s culture have allowed genuinely closeted guys to find each other instead of relying on the town’s biggest gay tramp to provide their needs. Instagram is a hotbed of dl guys who put on a straight front. From there it all goes down on Snapchat and what’s app

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2023 2:09 PM

I also missed it a lot. Was removing the CL personals actually accomplished what it's supposed to aim? We need stats, we need receipts!

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2023 2:14 PM

Did anyone ever have a successful Missed Connection ad?

I posted a few here and there and never did. I mean, I had a very hot hookup with a Marine out of one posting but he wasn't the intended recipient.

by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2023 2:54 PM

[quote]you also found someone treat treat your STD

Is that you, Whoopi?

by Anonymousreply 59March 29, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote]the town’s biggest gay tramp

Why, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2023 5:39 PM

You can check 'missed connections' on gas station toilet partitions now.

by Anonymousreply 61March 29, 2023 6:20 PM

Has anyone reached out to your old Craigslist hookups to rekindle things?

by Anonymousreply 62April 6, 2023 12:15 PM

It's hard to do because for the last few years, CL had their own unique email addresses to forward messages. No longer did the person's actual email address show up.

I got a lot of info from some of those people who were dumb enough to use either their work/government email addresses, or even just ones that linked to Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2023 1:04 PM

R63 did you reach out to have more sex with those guys?

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2023 1:22 PM

Not anyone I haven't seen in years, no. I do have some regulars that I originally met through CL, though.

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2023 1:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!