Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Guy Reviews Every Episode of Lucille Ball’s Final Sitcom, the Failed “Life with Lucy”

Holy shit, this crap was on at the same time as “The Golden Girls”?

Has anyone watched the entire show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 12:05 AM

Google shows one of the DL posts on this show as being posted in 1986.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 10:22 PM

She wasn't really funny ever, after "I Love Lucy".

She was all slapstick and cornball afterward.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 10:23 PM

It killed her.

Well, that and the smoking and the.... you know, what we couldn't talk about.

And I was raped!

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 10:24 PM

Lucy trying to hold onto her wig in the electric chair. The audience gasping at the prat falls worrying that Lucy and Gale might have broken something. Why couldn’t Lucy get a Golden Girls-like show? Gary?

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 10:24 PM

Her character was supposed to be a heath nut? With THAT voice?!

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 10:24 PM

I guess that was the joke?

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 10:24 PM

[quote]Gay Guy Reviews Every Episode of Lucille Ball’s Final Sitcom

Bravely going where no man has ever wanted to go...

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 10:27 PM

She got old and scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2023 10:27 PM

I remember her appearance at the Oscars that year. Her death was sudden and I remember feeling a little sad from it. Had grown up watching her so it felt like a death in the family. I still have yet to see that final series however.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2023 10:32 PM

Without a tv series to star in her life had lost its meaning. When she couldn't do that anymore, she didn't care whether she lived or died. The failure of the tv series definitely hastened her death.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 10:35 PM

The supporting cast was more bland than the kids on The Lucy Show. Potato flake bland. Hallmark movie bland. The Boys in the Bland, bland. Super bland. Forgettable except for how forgettable they were.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2023 10:39 PM

I watched the sitcom in its original run. Lucy was too old to be doing slapstick. If she had done a series like Golden Girls she would have been better. She could have stretched herself and done a nighttime soap like Bette Davis in Hotel.

She ended her career playing a bag lady in Stone Pillow, which in certain scenes she can’t rid herself of the slapstick, even in a drama.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2023 10:51 PM

Lucy was a former-whore with a judgy attitude...she thought The Golden Girls was too dirty and too sexual.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2023 10:53 PM

r1 has reading comprehension issues.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 12:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!