Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hideous City of London

Why does it look so bad? The old Miesian building in the center is probably the most attractive of the lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2023 4:12 PM

I think skyscrapers are just not mean to be built on irregular parcels

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 8:01 PM

I think skyscrapers are meant to be surrounded by gardens and regular boulevards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 8:07 PM

[quote] look so bad?

These ugly, gimmick-shaped building are confined to the financial district in the east end.

I think London realised their mistake back in 1959 when the Shell Building was built. It was too close the important vistas of the Houses Of Parliament. It tried to remediate its ugliness by allowing that touristy Ferris Wheel to party obscure the dimoninanceby of this Sub-Miesian block.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2023 12:12 AM

This video gets interesting around the 5 minute mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2023 12:21 AM

What is the big egg shaped building in the left corner?

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2023 12:23 AM

I hope Le Corbusier is getting his ass kicked 24/7 in Ditch 11 of the Malebolge of Hell, the run-down brutalist ditch filled to the brim with flimflam starchitects

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2023 12:23 AM

r5 Why that's The Gherkin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2023 12:34 AM

All the worst of Dubai and Shanghai plonked down with no apparent consideration to scale, relationship with other buildings or the impact on the skyline.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2023 12:34 AM

Very Sydney-like shapes.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2023 12:35 AM

We'll take care of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2023 2:06 AM

The British cannot do skyscrapers. I wish they'd stop trying. Just build some more fake Ye Olde Tudor buildings. They're no good either, but at least we wouldn't have to hear all the fucking whining.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2023 6:41 AM

Thank God for all the beautiful parks.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2023 7:00 AM

Trying to shove modernity up the ass of a classic city looks like that. I guess that explains the giant butt plug.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2023 7:32 AM

R13, plenty of classic cites have great Modernism. The British hate Modernism and are condemned to the worst possible version of it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2023 7:35 AM

[quote] I hope Le Corbusier is getting his ass kicked

R6 You need to specify whether you mean Early Corbusier or Late Corbusier. He changed a lot over 40 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2023 7:38 AM

The colours in OP's image make the agglomeration look yet worse - like loud ugly people over-dressed for a night out.

I happened to see this cluster a few weeks ago from the South Bank - the very grey day lessened the charmless impact only slightly.

It struck me as a deliberately exaggerated collage of futurism devised by a conservative a generation ago to warn off modernism. Sadly though it's all too real.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2023 8:05 AM

Hideous.

We have some of these stupid things in NYC, too. a couple are colorfully lit with moving displays at night. It’s like the Vegas strip in the skyline.

Do these abominations light up, too?

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2023 11:11 AM

I hate the monotony of Manhattan’s skyscrapers. There are, of course, some great buildings. But there’s an awful lot of boring architecture.

London’s recent skyscrapers, by contrast, are much more interesting. They are not Grampa’s aesthetic, though.

I can see how that might be jarring to some.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2023 11:22 AM

I actually appreciate these attempts. They're not perfect. But at least they were trying. What I cannot stand is the hundredth version of the same glass and steel building that look the same in every f***ing city of the globe. I would prefer architecture to be more region specific.

But better architecture and city planning will always remain just a dream. There will always be a need for quick and cheap buildings to meet some important and immediate needs. Think public housing or basic commercial buildings. Most buildings are not developed to be the city's family jewel.

Question: What city does city planning best in your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2023 11:28 AM

Worst - Toronto

Best - Chicago

This is my opinion, based solely on how the city center appears as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2023 11:30 AM

I think It's one of the most interesting skylines that exist. Grumpy Brits hate everything new.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2023 12:00 PM

Well lots of horrific stuff is “interesting” isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2023 12:05 PM

Not to me

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2023 12:10 PM

I love the Gherkin!

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2023 12:26 PM

R2 Cities only work because of streets, not in spite of them.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2023 12:30 PM

There's a reason why Paris has one skyscraper and one alone and the Parisians loathe it.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2023 12:34 PM

Blame the pension fund landowners, corporate leaseholders and the power of the City of London's financial institutions for the monstrosities.

Sir Christopher Wren is rotating in his grave as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2023 12:35 PM

Parisians hate the Tour Maine-Montparnasse because it's rubbish - it's generally considered one of the ugliest buildings in Europe. At least London's skyscrapers are quirky, interesting and distinctive. You couldn’t mistake that skyline for anywhere else. The higgledy-piggledy look works.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2023 12:43 PM

Best views in Paris are from the Tour Montparnasse... because it's the only place where you can't see the Tour Montparnasse.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2023 12:59 PM

The towers look like tarted up slags. Appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2023 7:12 PM

British modern architecture is full of schoolboy contrarianism and class-consciousness, just like everything else the British do. It's a classic case of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

"Do the frogs do it? Do the yanks do it? Do the kikes do it? Then we're not going to do it!"

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2023 11:13 PM

Whoever approved building shaped like a phone handset is brainless.

Gee, whoever thought that a giant curved glass surface would operate as a huge lens and fry everything in in sight when the sun hits it.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2023 11:11 PM

R18, London's skyscrapers don't come anywhere close to New York's best, which are far more prevalent.

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2023 2:55 AM

Paris is starting to approve higher building all over Paris. And of course there is the tower financial district, La Défense, bordering the official boundary of Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2023 11:38 AM

Tour Triangle coming soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2023 11:40 AM

This vantage is utterly appalling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2023 12:04 PM

20 Fenchurch Street (The Walkie Talkie) is my "Ugliest Building Anywhere."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2023 2:37 PM

It's certainly the walkie talkie which sets the seal on the unappealing cluster. In fact the three rectilinear buildings in the centre are just about tolerable, as is the gherkin. But the walkie talkie drags all in its orbit right down - guilty by association. Its comprehensive wrongness reminds me of Trump, and sadly it'll last much longer.

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2023 4:52 PM

The New York architect who designed the walkie talkie died last month. It's a shame he couldn't take that building with him.

by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2023 10:53 AM

Isn't it because we don't really 'do' skyscrapers in the UK? Or rather, historically, we never have done.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2023 11:05 AM

Ok. What's for luch?

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2023 4:08 PM

We call it The Lady Shaver, R37.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2023 4:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!