Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should we have a weight loss support thread?

I need to lose 20 lbs.

I'm sure some of my fellow fat whores are interested in improving their diets as well.

by Anonymousreply 257April 19, 2024 10:09 AM

Fat? What is that?

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 6:07 PM

You type malnourished, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 6:07 PM

Sure why not? I’m doing the calorie in, calorie out way of eating. I just started a few days ago. There’s a good subReddit that’s very helpful that I read every day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 6:09 PM

The Ample Community—you can join any time, but you can never leave.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 6:14 PM

Why not.

208.5 here. Gotta get down to 195 by June.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 6:15 PM

Fat people are my favorite because they are generally funny, and aim to please! We've got your back, OFP!!

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 6:19 PM

Great!

I'm the heaviest I've ever been. 170 lbs at 5'6. I should get down to 150 or so.

50 y/o male.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 6:23 PM

Yes, I'd love to participate. I've lost about 15 lbs since January, and would like to lose another 20 lbs. I'm also doing calories in/calories out.

Thanks for that info, r3! I'm not OP, but I'll check that link/subreddit out.

I've been trying to stay around the 1200-1300 calorie mark and get more regular about exercise. Yesterday I walked 2.7 miles and would like to walk every day if possible. We've had a lot of rain in Northern CA lately and apparently we'll be having rain again Tuesday and Wednesday, so if it isn't bad, i'll probably put on my raincoat and venture out. I've decided to do some strengthening exercises at home to begin to build muscle mass.

I've also been trying to get myself to drink smoothies more often, filled with fresh/frozen fruit and vegetables, with the addition of protein powder and chia seeds. I tried hemp hearts this morning in it and it was really good. I've also done flax in them before as well. Really trying to up my vegetable/fruit, nuts/seeds intake while getting as much protein as possible on a daily basis. I started taking a liquid turmeric supplement someone suggested I try, as it can apparently help bring down inflammation and support weight loss as well (but it was more for inflammation reduction, didn't know about the alleged weight loss benefits when it was purchased).

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2023 6:25 PM

r6 Just know that the funny tends to melt away along with the fat. So their gain in health is our loss in entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2023 6:25 PM

I turned 50 this year. I started putting on weight during Covid lockdown. I stopped exercising and ate carbs like it was my job. Those unhealthy habits continue to this day. I know they say bodies are made in the kitchen, but it was easier to stick to a diet when I was exercising as well. Unfortunately, I "jog" (using that word loosely) one day and I'm sore for a week after. I just can't seem to get back on track.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 6:30 PM

Same thing here, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2023 6:35 PM

I talked to my hypnotherapist about this last year. He'd helped me enormously over the past several years for my CPTSD, early trauma, etc. So I said, compared with what we've worked on before, this isn't a big thing, but I'd like to lose 10 to15 pounds, is there something we can do hypnotically to help me lose this weight? And he said yes. And he told me:

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2023 6:44 PM

I’m 63. Tore my achilles from my heel. Two surgeries last year. I just finished PT. Going swimming today. Trying to eat better.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2023 6:53 PM

So how does the support group work? Do we just check in on a regular basis in an ounce how much we lost by referring to our original response here?

Or is it more emotional support, eg, “ you can walk away from the sale that Acme has on buy two get two free lays potato chips”

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2023 6:56 PM

r13 sorry to hear about your achilles tendon/surgeries. Swimming with be a good exercise, hopefully!

r14, I'm not OP, but I think both types of posts would be helpful to people. Just my 2 cents worth.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2023 7:20 PM

Take long walks several times a week. Get a favorite salad dressing that you love. I am obsessed with Marie's Chipotle ranch dressing. Also, make your salads delicious so you can substitute it for meals. I like putting dried cranberries and toasted almond slivers on every salad. The almonds must be toasted preferably to a light medium brown. All nuts must be toasted before eating, fwiw. I like to throw in chunks of cheese when I'm having the big salad for a meal. More filling that way.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2023 7:46 PM

Salads can have more calories than other kinds of meals, especially if you don't watch it with the dressings & nuts.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2023 7:58 PM

Nuts are good proteins

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2023 8:02 PM

Weight loss support thread?

OP, are you the frauiest frau who ever frau'd?

This is the datalounge. Take this "support thread" shit to Reddit or iVillage.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2023 8:05 PM

If you want to feel thin, just go to Arkansas or Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2023 8:05 PM

This thread is why I love Datalounge and hope it never goes away. A poster wrote a long, detailed post about salads and how much eating salad has helped with weight management and then the next poster shits all over him and says that eating salads the way the poster before wrote, will actually make the person more fat!

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2023 8:07 PM

You've got to watch it with the cheeses (on salads), as well.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2023 8:10 PM

24 months ago I was in an accident and broke both elbows and my right forearm. First 5 months I was reliant on partner to do everything for me and it’s taken me till now to get a decent range of mobility back in both arms through physiotherapy three times a week. Needless to say I got fat.

I’ve lost 35lbs in the last 6 months by doing a calorie controlled meal service (1500 a day) for 5 days a week. Friday night through to Sunday lunch I eat like normal. No alcohol during the week.

I do a 20 minute walk three times a day - after breakfast, lunch, dinner. Gets me roughly 10,000 steps. Just started doing clinical Pilates twice a week as well as I found my weight loss plateauing so needed to up the exercise. I also need to strengthen my core because two years of doing fuck all takes its toll.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2023 8:37 PM

“Hey, you want a little salad with your ranch?”

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2023 9:20 PM

Buy a digital scale and weigh out every ingredient in your salad. It can end up being as many calories as a hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2023 9:33 PM

I'm curious r23, what happened?

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 9:35 PM

A driver wasn’t watching the pedestrian crossing and was not going to stop in time. I put my arms out and bounced off the hood. Bi-lateral radial head fractures and a shattered right forearm. Two radial head replacements and a plate needed over two separate operations.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 9:38 PM

I used the website Cronometer to track my calories. I had to set it to “lose 2 pounds a week” in order to see any results. Lost 50 pounds over several months. No exercise. I would weigh myself once a week and type that into the app and it would lower the amount of food I could eat in order to keep up the deficit. A lot of people don’t realize that. The more weight you lose the less you can eat, unless you make up for it with exercise. Though it can be hard to accurately track how much you’re burning with exercise.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2023 9:39 PM

I have a Greater Goods brand food scale that gives you nutrition info on a bunch of different foods. You can also program it for "custom" foods. It costs $40 to $50 and takes up not much space. I really like it. I use it for mail (calculating postage), too.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2023 9:39 PM

[quote] I need to lose 20 lbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2023 9:40 PM

Who tf has a 20lb head? John Merrick? Andre the Giant? OJ?

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2023 10:19 PM

R27 that’s horrible! I’m sorry that happened to you! You must be a very strong person to get through that. Hopefully things will get better for you.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2023 10:19 PM

OP, you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2023 10:32 PM

I recently discovered that packing my breakfast with fiber keeps me full most of the day and I don't even think about food until dinner. The traditional advice of eating a protein rich breakfast never kept me full and adding fat didn't help much either. Now I have two of these tortillas that have 11 grams of fiber each for a total of 22 grams of fiber and I'm very full for eight hours or more. I don't like eggs for breakfast so I make chicken quesadillas with rotisserie chicken or fill the tortillas with chicken salad or tuna salad and throw in some avocado for even more fiber. Getting fiber will fruits at breakfast doesn't work for me as fruit makes me hungry and sets the pace for the day. Yes I know avocado is a fruit but it doesn't have the same affect on me as say a banana or even raspberries which are very high in fiber but make me hungry.

Men should be getting 38 grams of fiber per day. The fiber will keep you full and guarantee a daily bowel movement. It's easy to meet the 38 grams with the tortillas for breakfast and a salad for dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2023 10:40 PM

I would love to join! I got chub chub during covid after a lifetime of hearing “youre so small.” I need help! I was even hungry when I tried ozempic

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2023 11:48 PM

r35 - wow, wonder why Ozempic made you hungry? It's supposed to delay stomach emptying...have you had any abdominal surgeries? Gallbladder out?

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2023 11:53 PM

R36 I have no idea. My friend lost 8 pounds on it the first month. I was still super hungry when I was on it. I try to eat healthy and protein but I would still wake up in the middle of the night hungry when I was on it. Didnt work for me at all

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2023 11:58 PM

R36 yes I had two abdominal surgeries but never thought that might be related bc I was at a healthy normal weight for years before and after both those surgeries and I didn’t start plumping up until 2020

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2023 12:00 AM

Hm, could be a factor, r38

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2023 12:03 AM

I volunteer sometimes at a soup kitchen and this hippy dippy lady who runs the kitchen swears by homemade kombucha. She gave me some and it really did make me feel good. Apparently it has tons of probiotics and can aid with your gut health. Homemade is better since you can control the ingredients and limit the sugar content. I am making my first batch, it is on day three of fermenting.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2023 12:20 AM

^ I forgot to add, she thinks my weight gain is down to bad gut health and that I can heal my gut with healthy foods and probiotics

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2023 12:21 AM

r40 / r41 I'm definitely interested in hearing more about your experience with the kombucha, and also your homemade recipe.

TBH, I've never tasted kombucha before, but I heard the flavor is reminiscent of smelly feet...

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2023 12:27 AM

Wait, wait, wait! Let me say it!

JUST PUT THE FORK DOWN.

Okay, with that out of the way, let me add that I wish there was wider awareness of the National Weight Control Registry, a long-term volunteer study of people who have lost 30 or more pounds and maintained the loss for at least one year.

Reading the participants’ stories dispels the truism that nobody ever really succeeds at weight loss and makes it clear what people have needed to do to achieve it.

The other hot tip is to look at the ways leptin and ghrelin drive the hunger process. Nobody ever suggests that fighting against, say, testosterone is easy peasy but they’d have you believe weight loss is just “put down the fork.” It’s not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2023 12:36 AM

Ozempic you fat whores…….

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2023 12:42 AM

To R27...Did you sue the FUCK out of them? I never knew anyone who broke an elbow and you broke both of them.

I would have killed the driver!!

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2023 12:45 AM

r43 it's true. And I'll bet no one here knows that gastric bypass surgery actually cuts off grehlin for a long period of time, but how long varies between individuals.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2023 12:45 AM

Why not change the name of the Datalounge to Frau fucking Central?

That would be just great!

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2023 12:47 AM

I was athletic when a teen, became horrendously obese while in my early 20s, have been kinda skinnyish in my 30s (apart from the loose skin, which you can remove with surgery but I don't won't to do that). It's not the healthiest or most sustainable, but if you focus on foods that make you feel full (like fibre, meat, cheese, beans, pulses etc) while calorie counting aggressively the weight should slide off. But you need to focus over time on behaviours that mean you eat around the same overall as you expend overall in terms of calories.

Also you really need to be aggressive about calorie counting. No cheese sauce with your vegetables, or covering salads with loads dressing (unless it's lemon juice and some maldon sea salt).

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2023 12:58 AM

R10- I've lost 20 percent of my body weight since my weight peaked in May 2021. My peak weight was 274 3/8 pounds and this morning ( I weigh myself everyday) I was 219 1/8- I use an doctor's scale with the sliding weight hence the fractions.

It takes a long time for the cravings and the hunger to go away and for your body to adjust to your new lower weight. The cravings and the hunger are your body's weigh of sabotaging your weight loss to put the weight back on. Dealing with the frequent hunger and cravings and you will lose all the weight you want to. I do take walks everyday, lift weights twice a week and so floor exercises- leg lifts and sit ups and yoga plows and I'm ruthless about what I eat. All of this IS hard work but worth the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2023 1:11 AM

I like reading everyone's way of losing weight...their diets and exercise. I need to lose at least 10 lbs...ideally 20 lbs. I've always ate pretty healthy, try to be mindful of the foods I eat and nutrition. I do junk out sometimes, get a pizza about one time a month, or Chinese food. I rarely eat sweets, like salt (unfortunately) and savory foods. I use honey or pure maple syrup as sweeteners, though I try not to use too much. I'll drink water, tea/coffee, milk, a glass of orange juice daily with vitamins. I never drink soda. I rarely drink alcohol and don't smoke. I don't think I'm a big eater....sometimes I have to make sure I eat something good, as I get lazy to prepare a meal, or am not too hungry. I don't exercise, though. Sometimes I'll do sit ups (up to 40 in one sitting), maybe pushups. I just bought some exercise bands for strength. I need to walk more. My blood pressure is a little high...my cholesterol is good though...so far. I eat less than I did when I was younger...was always slim. Now, losing weight is very difficult.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2023 1:33 AM

My sister in law (pediatrician) is a hater of fruit juice of any kind.

She always tells us that if we want the fruit juice, we should just eat a piece of fruit. Have two oranges or two apples. But don’t drink a glass of orange juice or apple juice – even if no sugar is added.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2023 2:26 AM

R51- I agree. Fruits and vegetable were meant to be whole. That's the best way to insure you get all of the health benefits. Juicing leaves behind all of the fiber- which is a critical part of the healthful component of fruits and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2023 2:30 AM

I didn't step on a scale for about 2 years and I was shocked when I did. I'm 5'10" and my weight had climbed to 172. I'm small boned with fine facial features and all that weight went to my gut and face. I'm down 15 pounds over the last 2 months. I feel so much better, but want to lose another 5 pounds or so. I really haven't followed any diet exactly, just low carbs, smaller portions, trying not to snack. I'm eating foods I like, so it doesn't feel like torture. I really don't have a sweet tooth, and I feel sorry for those who do...shocking the amount of calories in a simple cookie. Binge on 4 or 5 of those and that's more calories that any meal I'm having.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2023 2:44 AM

I eat one meal a day. It helped me a number of years ago when I wanted to lose weight but not so much now. At times I am too indulgent but I can't really say that I am badly over weight. I would like to lose 5 to 10 pounds but the will power is very slow in coming!!

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2023 2:47 AM

The hard part is to get rid of the belly fat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2023 2:50 AM

Eat less.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2023 2:53 AM

I'm pretty short, so while it's harder for me to lose weight, I'm not a sweets person, nor do I like most snack foods. I like savory stuff, and I've noticed I've really shifted over the past couple years to liking things that are nutrient-dense. My body just feels better when I'm eating non-processed foods.

Example: I just made a curry from tomatoes, onions, spinach, chickpeas, butternut squash and green peas (plus all assorted spices, ginger, garlic and nonfat greek yogurt), served over wild rice. I feel pretty satiated, physically and otherwise.

I strive to eat at least one very healthy, nutrient-dense meal every day and eat other things throughout the day that I like and my body needs. I also listen to my cravings. If I'm craving refried beans, I'll make a big bean burrito with lots of vegetables and that will fill me up until the next day.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2023 2:54 AM

If you are persistent and don't give up, the weight falls off ever so gradually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2023 2:56 AM

I gained 17 or so pounds, most Covid but a few were never lost after I broke my toe and didn’t walk much for a month. I lost it slowly (over 6 months) and haven’t gained it back by doing the following:

-counting calories and looking at macronutrient ratios on MyFitnessPal app, the free version -eating between 1400-1500 calories/day by eating two big meals and a snack in between ( breakfast, snack for lunch or low calorie leftovers, dinner) -eating a hemp/fruit fiber/protein smoothie either as part of breakfast or snack -upping protein and whole grains, upping fish, eggs, beans, nuts, and olive oil for meals and snacks -still eating my favorite foods in moderation (pizza, chocolate, popcorn) and going over my goal calories a few days per week

This has gone from a diet to a lifestyle for me, which is why it works, although I stopped using the app. I basically upped my intake of Mediterranean diet foods and higher protein and whole grains which have more fiber and decreased processed stuff a bit although not entirely. I don’t snack on junk food as much, but still indulge here and there.

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2023 2:57 AM

Belly fat is very hard to lose...especially when you're older (60+). I'm not sure doing sit-ups is enough to fix that now.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2023 2:59 AM

R15 Thank you. Walking any distance is still difficult. I’ve always loved swimming the best. I hope to get on my bike this next week.

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2023 3:41 AM

Mounjaro (tirpetazide) is better than ozempic/wegovy (semaglutide).

And retatrutide is coming and will be better than mounjaro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2023 4:01 AM

Why is Mounjaro better, r62?

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2023 4:12 AM

Ok, I support you. Now decrease your food intake, STAT!

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2023 4:50 AM

R63, studies showed greater weight loss on mounjaro, which is dual action, than ozempic/wegovy, which focuses on one hormone.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2023 2:09 PM

Y'all be back.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2023 2:13 PM

Jenny Craig. It works. You can go to a nearby center or do Jenny at home.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2023 2:15 PM

You and your ilk are why America is obese, Little Debbie, R66, with your sugary calorie bomb snack cakes.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2023 3:49 PM

So how do we get Ozempic and get a pharmacy to actually fill the prescription?

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2023 3:53 PM

Ugh. I'm hungry and I already ate.

I know it's mainly for women, but I joined Weight Watchers and I only have four points left for today!!

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2023 9:44 PM

(R70), How long have you been doing WW? Do you recommend it?

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2023 9:59 PM

I did it before and lost weight, just started again yesterday. Yes, R71, I recommend it, but you do have to keep withing your points. It's very easy to follow though and the app has a barcode scanner.

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2023 10:01 PM

I've decided that I'm going to walk and hike as much as I can. I went on a 3.2 mile hike today with a pretty good elevation gain and felt so great afterwards. I only took a few less-than-a-minute breaks to drink water or catch my breath and completed it in an hour and a half. I've decided to do at least one hike a week to supplement walking, and to try to walk at least a mile day (preferably walking for an hour, however far that will take me).

Still trying to stick the 1200 calories a day diet though. Today I didn't feel like eating until after the hike, and I wasn't ravenous, which was surprising.

by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2023 3:47 AM

A Star Crunch would have put a little pep in your step!

by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2023 4:01 AM

LOL I hate Little Debbie (not you, personally poster r74). Even when I was a fattie I hated them. They all taste alike to me!

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2023 4:06 AM

I have been losing weight for a few months and take vitamins and supplements. Don't shit on me , but I have found that since I added something called K2/m7 that I never feel hungry. Odd?

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2023 4:15 AM

Shit, r76, i JUST got my Vit K yesterday because I bruise really easily, but it doesn't specify K2 (which is what I wanted) and it doesn't have the m7 in it. It was only 5.76; maybe I'll buy this.

I also started taking Liquid Turmeric recently to reduce inflammation (I have an inflammatory disease) and also take a supp called Bacopa, which helps with mental clarity and concentration. I also found out it helps thyroid function too. I've lost about 15 lbs since March.

by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2023 4:29 AM

R76, can you provide a link to the vitamin you're taking?

by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2023 4:31 AM

I take vitameatavegamin, it's so tasty too.

by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2023 4:33 AM

^^I've lost about 15 lbs since JANUARY, not March. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2023 4:34 AM

Cut calories.

My sister lost a lot of weight in a short period of time eating not very healthy (stuff like frozen French bread pizzas, pre-made sandwiches from Whole Foods) because she only ate a certain amount of calories per day. She only ate pre-made or prepackaged things because, in her words, she was "too lazy" to figure out the calories in stuff and prepackaged foods have the calories on the package.

by Anonymousreply 81March 27, 2023 4:36 AM

I'm planning to go retro with my diet borrowing a page from the Solid Gold Dancers. Breakfast - Cocaine, Lunch -Cocaine, Dinner - Cheeseburger Fries and a large Diet Coke

by Anonymousreply 82March 27, 2023 4:37 AM

r78, It's K2/MK7

r76

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 27, 2023 5:00 AM

[quote] Still trying to stick the 1200 calories a day diet though.

That’s untenable.

by Anonymousreply 84March 27, 2023 7:20 AM

R84, possibly not, if it is tied to a One Meal A Day (OMAD) Keto modified diet.

It's like a snake eating a rat diet, as all your food is batched as it travels down the alimentary canal.

by Anonymousreply 85March 27, 2023 7:52 AM

I'm starting fresh today after a not so great weekend. Signed up for WW, but not sure how to best use it. If anybody has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

by Anonymousreply 86March 27, 2023 12:51 PM

Hang out in front of a Chinese buffet and see who goes inside. That works to keep me on my diet.

by Anonymousreply 87March 27, 2023 1:14 PM

R86, did you install the app? I find it really helpful, but you have to add everything you eat including salad dressing, coffee cream, etc...Use your "free" point foods to stave off hunger and drink lots of water.

by Anonymousreply 88March 27, 2023 3:44 PM

Also, R86, stay within your points.

by Anonymousreply 89March 27, 2023 3:45 PM

But for now it looks like it’s still fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products, a variety of protein foods such as seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes (beans and peas), soy products, nuts, and seeds, low added sugars, sodium, saturated fats, trans fats, and cholesterol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 27, 2023 4:23 PM

R86 here. I installed the app and have started tracking. Does anybody buy the WW snacks? Some of them look like they could be somewhat tasty.

by Anonymousreply 91March 27, 2023 9:48 PM

I've never tried them, R91.

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2023 6:13 PM

Figure out your TDEE and restrict your daily caloric intake to 300-500 below that. Anything else is just a way of dressing that up and grifting your money. All you need to understand is calories in calories out.

by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2023 6:18 PM

R60 the only way to target fat loss is liposuction. You don’t lose fat in the area of the body that you’re exercising, your body will consume fat from a random part of your body, or that’s determined by genetics. Anyone who’s saying that you can target fat loss by some routine or technique or device is completely lying.

by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2023 6:23 PM

Completely agree r60. It's the luck of the draw/genetics. And it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2023 7:10 PM

You forgot a zero, OP.

by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2023 8:07 PM

R95- If you're ruthless enough with yourself ANYONE of ANY age can lose the belly fat.

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2023 8:22 PM

r97 yes, if you get scary-skinny (for some people).

by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2023 9:53 PM

Not drinking has helped me tremendously. I was within ten pounnds of my goal weight in October. But there were too many cool Autumn days that made me want to bake things. So I baked, ate, and gained back fifteen pounds by the end of the year.

Currently, I do an hour of cardio and then swim (just more cardio, I know) for an hour five days a week. I need to get a college hottie to teach me how to lift weights, so I can get that started. But for now, I'll be working on finishing losing that Fall 2022 Fiftteen.

by Anonymousreply 99March 28, 2023 10:08 PM

I absolutely love walking and hiking, and have begun doing it every day I can. I took a tip from a poster upthread (and believe it or not, that idiot Gwyneth Paltrow from an interview I saw a snippet recently) to try to walk/move for an hour every day. So instead of just a mile, I've been striving to either walk for at least an hour and a decent pace or hike. I love it because I get to see all the beautiful flowers and trees in bloom, along with the occasional deer, who are all fat and happy.

I got in an hour and 24 minutes today in between the rain showers.

by Anonymousreply 100March 28, 2023 10:17 PM

I began CICO last week and lost 4 pounds so far. I just need to keep it up!

by Anonymousreply 101March 28, 2023 10:22 PM

That’s awesome, R101!

by Anonymousreply 102March 28, 2023 10:32 PM

[quote] "I absolutely love walking and hiking, and have begun doing it every day I can."

I MUCH prefer hiking/walking/exploring to running/jogging, R100. I love being outside. But because I'm already there (and because I'm in a hurry to lose the rest of that fifteen), I either walk the suspended track at the gym, or use the treadmill. But being outside is my preference.

Congrats, R101! Get it!

by Anonymousreply 103March 28, 2023 10:39 PM

r103 i would love to jog/run, but even 13 years ago when I was much younger and trying to do the Couch Potato to 5K dealie, I had to stop after a few weeks because my knees (which have had some level of osteoarthritis since my 30s when I was a fattie) hurt ALL.THE.TIME. I mean, even when I was not actively doing anything, just sitting there.

I realized then that running and me are no bueno and not friends.

by Anonymousreply 104March 28, 2023 11:00 PM

It's probably better that I never got into running. I like to think it will save my joints excessive damage, R104. Congrats on no longet being a fatty! Especially since not being able to run/jog.

by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2023 11:34 PM

Running ages you. Strength training is best.

by Anonymousreply 106March 28, 2023 11:36 PM

Anyone else struggle not so much with solid fat but with flab and low tone? I'm not overweight and don't eat badly or too much, but I'm soft as pudding, and it's no wonder because I'm a lazy depressed so-and-so with little energy.

And I am terrified of weights and very clumsy, so using equipment is not really an option. What are my recourses? Intense pilates? Or has anyone seen results from different bodyweight or functional range work?

by Anonymousreply 107March 28, 2023 11:51 PM

r107, try pill lattes

by Anonymousreply 108March 29, 2023 12:33 AM

R108 the kys Reddt trolls are getting more creative these days huh...

by Anonymousreply 109March 29, 2023 12:35 AM

R107 Bodyweight resistance is more than adequate - with a pull out bar and a box you can get a high quality full body workout. you can get pretty big if you take it seriously, so I would guess that the potential outcome actually exceeds your personal goals.

by Anonymousreply 110March 29, 2023 12:38 AM

r107 do you have Netflix? They recently added a bunch of exercise classes (yoga, strengthening, others) to their lineup, you can search under Nike and it should show all the exercise offerings they have. I've been trying the yoga ones, but I'm probably going to branch out to try other offerings, especially ones that require minimal or no weights/equipment (other than maybe hand weights).

And if you have Netflix already, you really have nothing to lose (extra cost, equipment you don't end up using, etc.). Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 111March 29, 2023 12:39 AM

Are you sure you want to enter that territory ?

by Anonymousreply 112March 29, 2023 12:59 AM

🏃🏿‍♂️ I can be the Inspiring Motivational Coach.

by Anonymousreply 113March 29, 2023 1:04 AM

I fast throughout the week and tend to eat only two or three days a week. I have dropped nearly 70 lbs since October. I would be down a lot more, but I have taken a few weeks off during this time.

by Anonymousreply 114March 29, 2023 2:23 AM

The salad thing is pretty funny. I mean, throw mayonnaise on cold macaroni and it becomes a "salad" as well.

by Anonymousreply 115March 29, 2023 2:28 AM

R114 I'm glad you lost weight but with that routine don't you feel light headed and a loss of energy?

by Anonymousreply 116March 29, 2023 2:34 AM

r116 - maybe so, but think of his lengthened telomeres!!!

by Anonymousreply 117March 29, 2023 2:37 AM

R116, I only feel light headed if I run several times during my fasting window, so I try to run only twice a week (halfway through my fasting window and the morning of the day I break my fast); however, I can walk as much as I want and that doesn't wipe me. I'm good otherwise! =)

by Anonymousreply 118March 29, 2023 2:48 AM

I know people love a fad, a ‘hack’, some trick to losing weight so they might not be interested in my story, but in case it helps someone, here’s mine.

I lost 22lbs in 7 weeks by doing the following:

Three healthy meals a day.

Exercise (HIIT) four times a week (from home).

Avoided sugar as much as possible.

I started at 91.1kgs (200lbs) and am now down 22lbs. I want to lose 2 more kilos (4.4lbs) or a tad more just to be within BMI, though I know that’s not necessarily the ideal for everyone.

It really worked just by cutting calories and being physical. Oh, I walk around a bit too. It did take me about 10 days to 2 weeks to lose cravings, but now, despite eating less I am full more often, my digestion is pet much perfect, my mental state is better, I can look at myself in the mirror again, and I just feel happier. I’m keeping at this for three months because a big aim is to change my relationship with food, so that I can snack without going crazy.

I don’t deny myself stuff either. I eat pasta or rice with meals if I want, for example. I just keep it to three healthy meals a day, very little sugar.

I’d really recommend trying it. I do log my food to keep me on track, though only roughly calorie counting (prob 2000 a day ish?), and I only weigh myself on Sunday morning.

I hope this helps!

by Anonymousreply 119March 29, 2023 2:54 AM

R119, describe your HIIT routine, please.

by Anonymousreply 120March 29, 2023 3:08 AM

R120 - honestly, I just went on YouTube and found cute men who do them. I do a 5min warm up, 15 min HIIT session and 5 min cool down. They can be challenging at first, but soon you are excelling. And when I get bored, I change videos.

by Anonymousreply 121March 29, 2023 4:47 AM

Go to the doctor get a blood work up maybe there is something wrong?

by Anonymousreply 122March 29, 2023 4:50 AM

R115 After you throw mayonnaise on cold pasta, add diced green pepper, chopped hard boiled egg, shredded cheddar cheese , and crumbled bacon. Feel free to add a bit of sour cream if you like. Stir and chill, and enjoy.

That's called Macaroni Salad.

by Anonymousreply 123March 29, 2023 6:10 AM

🍦 🌭 🌮 🍕 🍩 No matter how much I eat, I never gain more than an ounce or two.

by Anonymousreply 124March 29, 2023 6:14 AM

Good Morning! What have you done to support your weight loss today? Or yesterday, if it's too early to have done anything yet because you haven't had your coffee? LOL

Yesterday I had a scramble with lots of vegetables, had a large salad at dinner, walked 4.10 miles.

Today I got up when I woke up the first time (at 6:45) instead of going back to sleep, did 10 minutes of yoga/stretched, took my morning supplements and meds and am now having a cup of coffee.

More walking today, leg strengthening and abs exercises and protein shake. I plan on eating a bit less today, but still healthy.

How about you? Have you started any new health habits? Had any new milestones (or even setbacks)? Please share!

by Anonymousreply 125March 29, 2023 2:27 PM

This book is excellent, the author is a doctor at Duke. Skip the Audible version, you will miss key lists and graphics. Really improved my health, weight and also covers maintenance.. Reflux, migraines and tendonitis are gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 29, 2023 2:54 PM

R126, that link doesn't work for me?

Has anyone bought any of the Weight Watchers food? It's $50 for free shipping, so I want to make sure I'm going to like what I purchase (as much as I will like anything from Weight Watchers.)

by Anonymousreply 127March 29, 2023 3:56 PM

To R123, Thank You for that Macaroni salad recipe.

When I went for my cataract surgery last week, my weight was down to 182lbs. I was shocked by that, the yoga is working.

by Anonymousreply 128March 29, 2023 4:05 PM

I start semaglutide next week. It is Ozempic from a compounding pharmacy and I'm very excited to see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 129March 29, 2023 4:08 PM

Yay, Phillywhore (R128), both about your vision and your weight!!

r129 - what are you starting at (weight-wise)? Any health issues you are trying to correct or head off at the pass? Keep us informed about your progress and how the semaglutide affects you (side-effects).

by Anonymousreply 130March 29, 2023 4:12 PM

We came back from vacation and I am enormous!

I’m eating lots of bagged salad, keto yogurt, and make a broths soup with lots of kale and veggies for dinner.

It worked last time!

by Anonymousreply 131March 29, 2023 4:20 PM

I had a lot of success using the Noom app. Actually found it kind of fun and not at all constraining, so long as you’re okay using your phone quite a bit to track your food and whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 132March 29, 2023 4:26 PM

R127 End Your Carb Confusion by Dr. Eric Westman

Remember to skip the Audible version, you will miss key lists and graphics. My library had it.

Very simple to follow and finally weight is down and fairly stable, no more yo-yoing.

by Anonymousreply 133March 29, 2023 4:44 PM

I Signed up for Weight Watchers, but I'm not following it and now I want to cancel it. I was looking at Klinio. Does anyone know anything about it? Or Noom? The Noom people are super annoying they pester you. Weight Watchers was very disappointing. All they do is try to sell you things.

by Anonymousreply 134March 29, 2023 5:08 PM

Noom worked for me, went from 265 to 223 in about 7 months (42 lbs). I put quite a bit of it back on when I consciously said, "screw it, I have to have something, I don't drink or do drugs and I'm not getting laid regularly" and stopped using the app, started eating my feelings, calories and consumption of junky food unregulated. Then my blood work came in as rapidly approaching pre-diabetic. I started sugar starving my body, though I eat a lot of fruit to compensate. For me meant cutting out a ton of sweets, sodas and snacks (just don't buy it) and refined sugars. It's hard in an American diet to avoid it altogether. It's so easy to eat badly, especially if you are single and don't really cook. Eating well takes planning and/or money. People who say "it just took 15 minutes to throw this together" forget about the time it took to shop for the food, do the dishes, etc. in a grab-and-go world.

Got back on the Noom and I'm approaching a 20 lb loss since mid-January of this year. CICO is true, but a more nuanced version is "control your portions and increase your activity level." The weight comes off when I keep to the good habits, though it doesn't happen overnight. Noom teaches you to seek less calorie dense foods. It's important to not lie to the app and to enter everything you eat. It wants you to weigh every day and it prescribes a certain number of steps to walk and water to drink. If the calorie number they set is unsustainable, you can move the slider so you lose the weight more slowly (and thus can eat more).

What's stunning about weight loss, always, is how everything starts to come into line--at least for me, even without gym exercise, just making sure I walk. The aches and pains subside, I sleep better, my mobility as an overweight person improves doing daily tasks, I have more energy and for longer. I can't wait till I have the time and money to get back to the gym and work on getting these bitch tits turned back into pecs.

The other thing is that my weight came on pretty quickly during a very stressful period. It wasn't my age that made me "invisible" to other gays (walking down the street, in a gay bar, etc.) it was the weight. There are people out there for pretty much every age bracket. When I was back down in that 225 range, I found myself to be far more viable. On the apps now, people see that I say 240 and they probably think that's 275 in actual weight, sort of like internet inches and real inches where cock is concerned.

In my 20s I was quite skinny, 165-175 and over 6' tall. While I won't get back to that, it would be nice to get back under the dreaded 200 and stay in that 185-195 range. Noom has me hitting 185 in late September. I'm watching this thread and I'll check back in and let you know if I've made good on my promise to myself.

by Anonymousreply 135March 29, 2023 6:00 PM

R135, so how does Noom work?

by Anonymousreply 136March 29, 2023 6:04 PM

I've decided to exe.rcise more (mostly walking) drink more water, and cutv back on carbs

by Anonymousreply 137March 29, 2023 6:08 PM

Need to get your heart rate up for 20 -30 minutes daily. Meaning you shouldn't be able to talk at the same time you're walking. Instead practice deep breathing. Intense speed walks are more effective than long strolls.

Avocado toast makes you feel full as does high fiber food taken with black coffee, herb tea, water without sugar.

Intermittent fasting which involves not eating several hours before bedtime and consuming food only during an 8-hour window works well.

Genetics determine if you do better on low-carb or low-fat. Either way up your consumption of spices including garlic and tumeric. Fresh spices are healthier than dried.

Olives with a salad make "rabbit food" less boring.

Eat more salads with

by Anonymousreply 138March 29, 2023 6:32 PM

R136 With Noom you just download the app, answer the questions, set your goals and how fast you want to get there, and it will create a plan and tell you how long (following the plan) it will probably take to achieve the goal. There are good daily nutritional readings too, very short.

Daily you log your weight, what you eat, and how much water. It counts your steps too.

There's a free trial, or there used to be.

by Anonymousreply 139March 29, 2023 6:38 PM

Maybe nobody has an answer for this, but I picked up some local-made sauerkraut yesterday because I hear fermented foods are good for your gut, loaded with vitamin, minerals, can aid in weight loss, etc. [quote] Besides Reuben sandwiches (which I love but are highly caloric), how should I eat this/what should I eat this with??

by Anonymousreply 140March 29, 2023 6:38 PM

^^ Not doing well with html formatting today. Meant to bold:

[bold] Besides Reuben sandwiches (which I love but are highly caloric), how should I eat this/what should I eat this with??

by Anonymousreply 141March 29, 2023 6:40 PM

R141, you could try a veggie/turkey dog (don't know how processed they are and if you're worried about that) and have it on a reduced calorie or "keto" bun.

by Anonymousreply 142March 29, 2023 6:48 PM

Keto works well for me. I don’t count calories. I don’t crave carbs. Cutting our carbs almost completely is easier for me than CICO, etc. I just don’t eat or drink them and that’s all I need to worry about after I got my head and body around the whole thing after a few weeks. I also get some strength training and walking in.

by Anonymousreply 143March 29, 2023 7:11 PM

Does it help you lose weight if you eat your biggest meal at breakfast or lunch? I work remotely, and my breakfast is my lunch. I eat high protein for breakfast around 11 ish, then around 2:30 I have a snack, usually yogurt or hummus with keto crackers. and then dinner. I have protein at every meal. My only weaknesses are two or three cookies at night with tea, and the whole wheat multi grained toast I have in the morning. I cannot seem to lose any weight.

by Anonymousreply 144March 29, 2023 8:13 PM

r144 you'd really have to list out a whole day of food for us to know, plus your height.

by Anonymousreply 145March 29, 2023 8:17 PM

Hey Lardasses!

Still fat as fuck?

(No need to respond, we already know the answer.)

by Anonymousreply 146March 29, 2023 8:53 PM

Hey, Vinnie - you better watch your skinny ass crossing the street today. You never know when some asshole is going to mow you down...

by Anonymousreply 147March 29, 2023 8:57 PM

One minute you are skinny and then the next thing you know your BMI is 23 and your all cause mortality risk is lower, but you need a whole new wardrobe.

R140 I love sauerkraut as a side dish all by itself, but understand it’s a little much for most people that way. A dish that I enjoy although it’s calorie dense is poor man’s pierogies. Boil bow tie pasta, in a sauté pan brown onions in your choice of lard, schmaltz or vegetable oil, drain sauerkraut, add bow tie pasta and drained sauerkraut to browned onions, stir and heat through, serve with sour cream, buy new wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 148March 29, 2023 9:56 PM

I had a check up at my doctor a week ago today. I received the results in the mail today. My doctor said and I quote-

YOUR RESULTS ARE AS GOOD AS CAN BE

Then he said in the letter that my over health is EXCELLENT and that I should keep the weight that I've lost off permanently.

I'm going to try hard to keep it off because I've worked so hard and so long to just gain it all back.

by Anonymousreply 149March 30, 2023 12:44 AM

Congrats r49/r149!!! That's such great news about your health and your weight, and great job on your past (and continuing) hard work. Keep up the good work!!!

by Anonymousreply 150March 30, 2023 12:51 AM

R49 - mate, that is excellent! Well done! Especially as it has improved your health overall. To many people focus on the surface level (looks), but overall health is the best goal - looking good AND being healthy!

by Anonymousreply 151March 30, 2023 1:27 AM

R150 and R151- Thank You 😀

by Anonymousreply 152March 30, 2023 1:50 AM

Has anyone got a Hep B Vaccine decades after they had Hep B?

by Anonymousreply 153March 30, 2023 1:56 AM

R114 is thinsp0

by Anonymousreply 154March 30, 2023 2:11 AM

R154, your source that I have an eating disorder is anecdata and that you're a woman? Get out of here with that. I fast under my doctor's supervision and my lab work is excellent, especially since I do not spike my insulin levels all day as those who partake in the standard American diet tend to.

by Anonymousreply 155March 30, 2023 4:10 AM

OP, you need a support group to lose TWENTY pounds?

Grow a pair and put the fork down.

But if you have any questions I'm happy to help. Let me just finish this chocolate covered apple. Yum yum.

by Anonymousreply 156March 30, 2023 4:15 AM

R140 Sauerkraut is a great w/ scrambled eggs. Make vegan borscht. Have a little on the side of whatever meal. Grill or pan-heat a soft corn taco, fill w/ fish, cilantro, mayo & SK.

Lighter reuben-esque = sourdough rye, kraut mixed w/ ketchup & mayo, organic turkey, melted light jarlsberg, vegan cheese or avocado. Have open-faced if carb-hostile.

R148 Yum. That also serves as ersatz halušky.

by Anonymousreply 157March 30, 2023 9:33 AM

R5 here. I've been trying this intermittent fasting.

On March 24, I was 208.6 pounds.

On March 30, I was 205.8 pounds.

Normally, stuff like this is just random fluctuation. But here's hoping!

by Anonymousreply 158March 30, 2023 10:37 AM

Hit another fat whore diet milestone: I saw my dick for the first time in years when I looked down and peed into the bowl.

I will be typing fat for a while, though.

by Anonymousreply 159March 30, 2023 10:48 AM

R159, that is such a great moment! Enjoy. Give it tug!

by Anonymousreply 160March 30, 2023 12:50 PM

I took a rest day yesterday of no exercise (besides morning yogic stretching) after clocking in 15.6 miles of walking over the previous 5 days (Thursday through Tuesday). It's sunny today, so I'll be walking again and back to strengthening exercises later tonight. Right now I'm just doing some exercises I remember doing a couple decades ago during a time period I was working out twice a day and lost 60 lbs over 4 1/2 months. I'd like to get a formal strengthening program going though because right now I'm all over the place. I'll start looking.

So far, down 17 lbs since January. I took a week off when I went to Oregon for a holiday and crappy food was all around. I didn't come back from that too badly, but it did take me about a week to recover. No matter. My goal is about 16 more lbs, but I'm excited to be only 5 lbs now from being in the "normal" range for my BMI. It's been almost 4 years since I was that weight.

by Anonymousreply 161March 30, 2023 4:20 PM

It's Friday, DL Losers! Are weekends a problem for you in terms of eating, or are they one (or both) of your cheat days? Do you have any fitness related plans this weekend? Are you making this your last weekend before starting a new plan on Monday?

Share it with us!

by Anonymousreply 162March 31, 2023 2:32 PM

So I posted above about homemade kombucha and I have to say i think it is working. Usually at night I am super hungry and night eating is my downfall. But the last two nights I had a small glass of kombucha and some chicken broth right before bed and slept like a baby and didnt snack at all. I am going to keep trying that, plus sticking with healthy foods for my diet (lean protein, veggies and some fruits and sweet potatoes).

by Anonymousreply 163March 31, 2023 2:42 PM

After eating out for every meal for more than 2 months Recently, I began eating better. Coming at home, cutting down significantly on red meat, less alcohol, more greens. But now I can't sleep lol. Just turning in bed. I'm not sure if my body just misses all that salt, sugar and empty calories.

by Anonymousreply 164March 31, 2023 2:46 PM

That's good news r163 that you found something to help quell your hunger, and added benefit of good sleep as well.

This is the kombucha your friend gave you, correct? Is the taste palatable, or better yet, good?

by Anonymousreply 165March 31, 2023 2:47 PM

r164 Great job on breaking the eating-out cycle and making better food choices. Just a thought: if you had made alcohol a regular part of your night, you could be having sleepless nights because of that. I don't know how much you were drinking, but I do know that often when people have been regularly consuming alcohol every day (even just a few drinks), it can take a few days to a week+ to adjust to the lack of alcohol and even out the serotonin and other chemicals. Or you could be experiencing some extra energy because of the change in diet and maybe need to work off some of that energy during the day if you can.

Keep up the good work!

by Anonymousreply 166March 31, 2023 2:53 PM

Thanks, R165! The taste and texture is sort of like beer with a slightly acidic/vinegar undertone. It isnt bad. Definitely palatable although not delicious. She flavors it with organic apple juice but I couldnt taste apple.

by Anonymousreply 167March 31, 2023 2:55 PM

I shed 245 pounds and have kept it off for 5 years. I did some not-so-healthy things but I also did some healthy things and here are some I'd like to share: 1) establish meal times and do not snack (I eat breakfast at 10 AM every day whether I wake up at 6 or at 9; this eliminates overeating between meals); 2) keep searching until you find the healthy food that you actually like to eat (do not try to force down kale if you don't enjoy eating kale--if you haven't found something healthy that is also yummy, keep searching and you will find it)

I have others....

by Anonymousreply 168April 2, 2023 8:46 PM

Stop eating four hours before you go to sleep. Trust me, it helps enormously when trying to lose weight. Smaller portions also help. I lost 25 lbs in 3 mos just following those two rules.

by Anonymousreply 169April 2, 2023 8:55 PM

Now I am not a fat whore per se, but I have a fat whore related question -- how does one get rid of one's old sins on the hips? Will that stubborn padding go away with (even) more exercise?

by Anonymousreply 170April 5, 2023 10:26 PM

R161- It's sunny today- so you walk today

You sound like a FRAU

I take walks outside EVERY DAY. it's not dependent on the vagaries of the weather. I walk take my walk outside regardless of the weather except for a blizzard or a thunderstorm but I rarely experience a thunderstorm in the am.

by Anonymousreply 171April 5, 2023 11:43 PM

R170- I exercise 300 minutes a week but the most effective way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories every day and or week. Make small but significant changes every week or few weeks - in your calorie reduction. Small reductions in caloric consumption are far more sustainable than large weekly reductions in calories.

The answer is yes. You can lose ALL of the padding on your hips if you're motivated and ruthless enough with yourself.

by Anonymousreply 172April 5, 2023 11:46 PM

I am quite chubby, but I identify as thin.

I am translender.

by Anonymousreply 173April 6, 2023 6:14 PM

r.e. fast food i hate usamericans and their one billion different regional fast food chains that they insist are all vastly different. im sorry i just dont believe you that Chunks and Yakko's and Slutty Dan's all provide different experiences and im not in one million years going to rural northeast ohio to check if the Quirko's Cumdump Meal really has better fries than the Burger Cossack Grease Box. all fucking ham burger the same

by Anonymousreply 174April 6, 2023 10:31 PM

R174- You're talking Jibberish

by Anonymousreply 175April 6, 2023 10:31 PM

I meant Gibberish

by Anonymousreply 176April 6, 2023 10:32 PM

I'm dusting off this thread and checking in.

Today I weighed in 20 lbs lighter than I was in mid-January when I decided to revamp my eating habits by infusing more fruits and vegetables into my diet. I'm pretty happy about that, but I'm still 2 lbs from being in the "normal" range for my height, and would like to lose about 10 more pounds. It is getting close to summer, and I typically eat less during the summer because my appetite tends to decrease when the temperature increases. I also have done quite a bit of walking, but have had to take off a week here and there (was on a working type vacation and this last week have had something going on with one of my feet that need to be checked out).

How is everyone else doing??

by Anonymousreply 177April 14, 2023 1:00 AM

I lost 20 pounds over the past few months.

I use an app called "Lose It!" to track my caloric intake and I weigh myself every day with a Renpho smart scale that approximates BMI, body fat, BMR, etc.

It hasn't been hard aside from initial strong sugar cravings. I stay under 1,700 calories a day 9/10 days. There's almost no food or brand of food in the app, so it's really easy and convenient unless you eat a lot of restaurant food; in that case, there's no good way to really estimate the calories you take in.

I'm 5'11" and I've gone down from 182 to 160-162 depending on the time of day I weigh myself.

by Anonymousreply 178April 14, 2023 1:36 AM

[quote] I take walks outside EVERY DAY. it's not dependent on the vagaries of the weather.

MARY. What a He-Man.

by Anonymousreply 179April 14, 2023 1:40 AM

I've switched to eating earlier, including my final meal of the day. I also have been exercising every morning before breakfast. Also, after my final meal of the day, without waiting too long, I'll thoroughly clean my teeth. (Electric toothbrush, flossing.)

by Anonymousreply 180April 14, 2023 1:42 AM

R179- Why is this surprising considering that I'm a dues paying member of

The HE MANS WOMAN HATERS Club

by Anonymousreply 181April 14, 2023 2:31 AM

I started a week ago. Lost 2.7 lbs the first week. I’m eating 2x a day. Going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Eating fruit for “dessert.”

by Anonymousreply 182April 14, 2023 2:53 AM

Good for you r177. I was in my "normal" weight zone for about 45 minutes when I was 16. The struggle continues.

by Anonymousreply 183April 14, 2023 2:56 AM

[quote] I also have been exercising every morning before breakfast.

Have heard that fasted morning exercise is the best, apparently Nicole Scherzinger and Gigi Hadid are proponents.

What’s the science behind it, though? Or is it just easier to work out with an empty stomach? Can you have coffee or tea beforehand?

by Anonymousreply 184April 15, 2023 1:31 PM

r184 I had suspected that so I looked it up recently. In double blind studies of people who exercised after 8 hours of fasting (and a group that didn't fast), the fasting group lost more weight.

Think about it: the body is going to use the more readily available fuel when exercising (i.e. what has been recently eaten/barely stored), but if you exercise on an empty stomach, the body MUST draw on the fat reserves for energy/functions/homeostasis. It makes complete sense to me, and that's why I did a li'l internet research to confirm my suspicion.

However, so far I haven't put it into action yet as I'm just not an early riser. I probably will once my weight loss slows or (hopefully not!) stops. I'm the "lost 20 lbs since mid-January" person (and several others) upthread.

by Anonymousreply 185April 15, 2023 2:23 PM

I can only work out after fasting for at least six hours and taking antihistamines because I have mast cell activation syndrome, and I usually go into anaphylaxis when I overheat, whether from exercise or environmental heat (summer, kitchens, etc.).

I only in the past six months found out I actually can exercise if I have an empty stomach. I've been unable to do it for years and my immunologist told me to try it after six hours of not eating and so far, it has worked.

I only mention this here because I'm guessing that exercise causes some mast cell activation (which release histamine and other inflammatory mediators) in all people, whether you have a disorder or not, and that probably has some effect on digestion and other bodily processes. If everyone has some degree of it, then it may be best for most people to work out on an empty stomach to prevent any level of systemic inflammation.

by Anonymousreply 186April 15, 2023 2:30 PM

That makes sense, r186. I get very red (as in beet red) if I exercise strenuously or in environmental heat (always have since I was a child). I only recently developed high blood pressure (I'm 54), but up until I was 50 I always had low blood pressure.

I also notice my hands and feet swell if I exercise for long periods of times (such as long walks or hikes over an hour).

by Anonymousreply 187April 15, 2023 2:35 PM

About 6 weeks ago I noticed that my knees where starting to feel pain when climbing or coming down stairs.

Two weeks ago I made some major changes to my diet and have already lost some weight and the pain in my knees has ceased.

My aim is to look as thin as Karen Carpenter but not die which means loosing about 50 kilos. I'm currently 91.

by Anonymousreply 188April 15, 2023 2:37 PM

^ LOL

by Anonymousreply 189April 15, 2023 2:39 PM

R187 That's flushing (red and hot skin) and edema (swelling). Both are symptoms of anaphylaxis, but of course both to a non-extreme degree can be effects of exercising strenuously.

I had no idea for years that I was having anaphylactic reactions to exercise because I thought I was just becoming out of shape and that some of the things that happened were normal. I felt really stupid when I finally realized something was physically very wrong.

Here is what happens when I have exercise-induced anaphylaxis, in order:

Skin itches

Flushing (red/hot skin)

Hives develop, usually on my arms or back or thighs first and then all over

Coughing

Lightheadedness

Shakiness

A black cast over my vision

Choking/coughing up water when I drink

Mild wheezing

Disorientation

Extreme nauseousness

Feeling that I am going to black out

The symptoms come on very gradually at first and then escalate very quickly.

I never knew hives are dangerous. I thought they are just a fleeting skin reaction. But they can signal a potentially life-threatening anaphylactic reaction because the hives you see on your skin also can occur internally on the epithelial lining of organs, including inside your sinuses, throat and airway (which hives can swell up enough to fully contrict breathing), digestive system (not life threatening), and other organs including the heart, which in some people has stopped beating because the swelling around the external lining interrupts the electrical signal, and some people have dropped dead of cardiac arrest during these events.

It didn't occur to me for *years* that when I take a sip of water during exercise and violently cough, it is because my throat is severely constricted and I try to force down a large gulp of water.

And the wheezing and gasping that happens, I always thought it was because I was out of shape, when it's asthma induced by exercise intolerance/allergy.

I think that some people probably have milder degrees of this and should be aware of what's going on, because anaphylaxis on rare occasions can present mildly and then become suddenly life threatening, catching a person unaware.

by Anonymousreply 190April 16, 2023 12:17 PM

I have to lose 20. I’m in, OP.

by Anonymousreply 191April 16, 2023 12:18 PM

It's Sunday and I ate like crap yesterday. I think this week I'm going to see if the exercising before eating anything (i.e. fasting for at least 8 hours before exercise) makes a difference in weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 192April 16, 2023 4:18 PM

Yesterday I had a banana and 4 potassium capsules. I am listening to Dr. Berg on YT.

He's another chiropractor who does nutritional research.

Autophagy

Ketosis.

by Anonymousreply 193April 16, 2023 7:17 PM

I read an article yesterday where a nutritionist advanced the argument that at each meal, the important thing to do was to open with vegetables or a salad, because the layer of fibre created a lining in your gut that slowed the absorption of glucose, sugars being a big problem in a lot of ways. I don't see the harm. She also advocated for eating in this order: fibre, protein, carbs, sugars. I'm someone who tends to eat in sequence anyway, so it would work for me. I am combining fasting, exercise and calorie monitoring. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 194April 16, 2023 7:24 PM

I went for a walk this morning to get some sun and ended up going a bit farther than I had planned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 16, 2023 8:38 PM

Anyone else only got a few final stubborn lbs to go that won't shift? I'm only about 7-9 lbs off the perfect weight for my height and frame, but everything I've done so far just won't move this last bit of fat.

by Anonymousreply 196April 16, 2023 9:28 PM

R196 Consider that your weight now may be your perfect weight for your age now. Also, understand that when you have so little to lose it’s going to take much longer see any change. It goes quickly in the beginning, but weight eventually starts slowing down as your body gets smaller and there’s less weight resistance. You can try adding a different activity to your routine. A full body activity like swimming, dancing, rowing or Pilates and/or weight lifting if it’s not already part of your lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 197April 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Good Morning, DL Losers!! I'm reviving this thread again because today...(drum roll please):

I'm FINALLY in the NORMAL BMI range for my height!! 22 lbs lost since mid-January!!

I will say that the first 12-13 lbs was easy and probably due to my body re-adjusting to taking to my thyroid medication after a several year hiatus. But the last 10 lbs have been due to walking/hiking and pushing myself to be more active. I'm unemployed (and really need to find a job), so I've been using my time to get out walking/hiking and taking up gardening again. My diet has improved overall, but over the past couple weeks, I've kind of lapsed with vegetable and fruit intake, which I'll be amending as it gets warmer out. I don't like eating much when it's too warm, so smoothie season and fresh grilled vegetable season is about to happen!

How about you? What has your progress (or lack thereof, as the case may be) been like? Finding anything helpful or not helpful? I'd love to hear from you (especially Kombucha guy!).

Happy Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 198April 23, 2023 2:38 PM

I have heard it suggested R196, that if you commit to a one off, go on a couple days binge of eating like a pig. Your body, fearing it is starving, resists weight loss. If you shock it, you can probably break the back of those last few pounds. I have heard that... I recognise it may be like telling an alcoholic it's just a glass as part of the toasts.

by Anonymousreply 199April 23, 2023 3:13 PM

r199 I'm not r196 but I've also heard that the body gets "used to" routine and adjusts to maintain homeostasis. This is true for eating/nutrition as well as exercise...it does what it needs to adjust and become efficient.

So what you're saying actually makes a lot of sense. It's why when people do the same exercise routine over and over for an extended period of time, they hit a "wall" so to speak (same diet-wise); it's the body doing what it does best - adjusting to whatever conditions in order to maintain homeostasis.

by Anonymousreply 200April 23, 2023 3:19 PM

Hey, losers! How are you doing on your journey? Staying focused, eyes on the prize? Share your success here, as well as your failures or wall-hitting moments.

I'm down 23 lbs today, in the normal weight zone and I'm hoping to see another pound off by the weekend. Warmer weather gets me outside and sometimes I forget to eat when I get involved in outdoor projects, so it's a great time for me.

by Anonymousreply 201April 25, 2023 2:08 PM

That will end in tears op

by Anonymousreply 202April 25, 2023 2:31 PM

If you lose weight, you’ll be taken more seriously.

by Anonymousreply 203April 25, 2023 2:39 PM

Anyone want some CAK??????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 25, 2023 3:00 PM

I'm not OP, but r202 - what will end in tears?

by Anonymousreply 205April 25, 2023 3:15 PM

My business trip to Horry County (Myrtle Beach) was a rousing success, however I gained 12 lbs. while working (eating drinking too). I went to yoga class last week& my favorite instructor was laughing at my stories of depravity, but he was like "You gained weight...12 lbs around". Yes I did!! And I feel Fat too.

by Anonymousreply 206April 25, 2023 3:18 PM

r206 I was out of town in March for about a week and gained about 4 lbs. It came off within a week when i was eating "normal" food.

But your yoga instructor is QUITE the estimator!

by Anonymousreply 207April 25, 2023 3:27 PM

I was one of the first posters here, joined weight watchers, tracked for a few days, fell off the wagon, gained even MORE weight (about 5 lbs) and am now going back to dirty keto. I lost 15 lbs back in 2017 on it and kept it off until the middle of the pandemic. I'm going to a music festival over Memorial Day Weekend, so let's see if I can lose anything before then.

by Anonymousreply 208April 27, 2023 9:21 PM

[quote] What’s the science behind it, though? Or is it just easier to work out with an empty stomach? Can you have coffee or tea beforehand?

R184, re: exercising before breakfast, I don't know what the science is. I just exercise early to get it out of the way. When I exercised in the P.M., I noticed I was dreading it and I kept doing it later and later in the day. So, I was dreading it all day.

At this point, breakfast is like a treat (after exercising). If you want to have coffee or tea beforehand, I don't see anything wrong with that. Whatever motivates you, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 209April 27, 2023 9:43 PM

r209, see reply r185 for "the science," or the theory at least, but I'll quote it here:

[quote] I had suspected that so I looked it up recently. In double blind studies of people who exercised after 8 hours of fasting (and a group that didn't fast), the fasting group lost more weight.

[quote] Think about it: the body is going to use the more readily available fuel when exercising (i.e. what has been recently eaten/barely stored), but if you exercise on an empty stomach, the body MUST draw on the fat reserves for energy/functions/homeostasis. It makes complete sense to me, and that's why I did a li'l internet research to confirm my suspicion.

I'm r185. I've lost 25 lbs now, but I still haven't gotten to the point where I can get myself to exercise first thing in the morning. BUT, the heat has been turned on here in NorCal (87 at home today, 91 2 towns away), so I'll probably get into doing walks and hikes in the morning sooner rather than later in the morning or afternoon because we get hot as balls up here all summer long.

by Anonymousreply 210April 27, 2023 11:41 PM

Good Morning, Losers! Time to check in!!

I'm down 24 lbs now. I ate probably more than I should have on Saturday, and a LOT on Sunday. I truly felt like a ball that needed rolling into bed.

But yesterday I weighed i less than i had though i would and today, down a pound.

I think there really is something behind throwing your body off kilter and changing things up which keeps it on it's toes!

How's everyone else doing?

by Anonymousreply 211May 2, 2023 1:04 PM

I'm feeling icky. After losing 24 lbs, I ate two big meals one yesterday and one the day before and now I'm up two pounds, even though I didn't eat anywhere near 7000 extra calories.

I've got to make time and find more energy to exercise vigorously, maybe just caffeinate myself till I'm so hopped up I have to be moving.

by Anonymousreply 212May 2, 2023 1:17 PM

r212 I'm finding if I shrug off my first inclination of "it's too early, I can sleep more still" and actually get up, I am so much more productive and have time to do things (including exercise). Sometimes being kind of groggy and going through the motions can also help with exercise too, even if you feel you're not giving full effort at first. Groggy brain puts up fewer excuses and less of fight, I noticed!

by Anonymousreply 213May 2, 2023 1:21 PM

[quote]I need to lose 20 lbs.

That's a whole Calista Flockhart!

by Anonymousreply 214May 2, 2023 1:30 PM

I'm skinny, but have a big gut because of all the drinking.

I'm hideous, don't look at me!

by Anonymousreply 215May 2, 2023 2:20 PM

Ascites, r 215?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216May 2, 2023 2:23 PM

😰 , r216!

by Anonymousreply 217May 2, 2023 2:25 PM

I need to lose about 80 lbs. I'm trying the CICO method and trying to be more mindful of what I eat.

I lost some family members over the last 7 years and regressed to my pre-teen years where food was my comfort. I'm going for daily walks as much as possible; you may have seen my posts on the Underwhelmed threads.

For the poster who asked about WW snacks, save your money. They are OK but you'd do better to allow yourself a min 3 Musketeers or Milky Way, maybe even 1 or 2 Dove mini-candies.

by Anonymousreply 218May 2, 2023 3:57 PM

R218, thanks, that was me. I've been doing terribly with tracking with WW anyway, and decided I'm just doing CICO now as well. Keep us updated on how it's working for you!

by Anonymousreply 219May 2, 2023 11:29 PM

24 lbs lost here, and I've been doing CICO for the most part as well, along with walking and hiking when I can. It's also gardening season which has helped me burn a lot of calories.

I usually do 5 days of pretty careful tracking, and a day or 2 of whatever I want to eat (I don't go wild, and I'm not into a lot of snacks or sweets).

However, two things I do take daily: 1 tbsp of liquid turmeric to help with inflammation (I have rheumatoid arthritis) and I also take a supplement called Bacopa Monieri which helps increase mental focus/clarity with a side benefit of boosting thyroid function. I would say I am a little more laser focused on the weight loss since I started taking it in January and I've not had many problems with the weight loss either.

by Anonymousreply 220May 2, 2023 11:35 PM

r218, I used CICO for years to MAINTAIN my weight.

I have found that Keto/Autophagy and OMAD was a good start.

I bought one of those fancy BMI/Bluetooth scales and weigh myself religiously, every morning.

I have found that I lose moderate weight by eating one meal a day every OTHER day. Every other day is a fast day.

On my fast days, I take 100 grams of soy protein to beep the fat burning focused away from muscle tissue.

I'm retired so, so far so good.

by Anonymousreply 221May 2, 2023 11:41 PM

[quote]I need to lose 20 lbs.

Ozempic.

by Anonymousreply 222May 2, 2023 11:43 PM

Hi, everyone - happy Thursday. It's almost the weekend!

I'm reporting in at 25 lbs lost now...3 lbs UNDER the top weight for the normal zone of BMI for my height. I've lost all the weight I gained during COVID plus a few pounds. I'm 5 lbs from my goal weight! I've been doing CICO and exercising as much as I can (but by no means has it been regular).

How are things shaking out for you with your weight loss or change of eating/exercise habits? Report in! Any Ozempic/Wegovy/Monjourno users care to self-report?

by Anonymousreply 223May 4, 2023 3:14 PM

[quote] For the poster who asked about WW snacks, save your money. They are OK but you'd do better to allow yourself a min 3 Musketeers or Milky Way, maybe even 1 or 2 Dove mini-candies.

Yeah, I have Dove "Promises" on hand. There are different flavors, but I like the milk chocolate (blue wrapper) the best. They're 45 calories for each piece.

Yesterday, though, I had a rough day and ate an entire Lindt milk chocolate bar, which was somewhere between 600 and 700 calories.

by Anonymousreply 224May 4, 2023 5:39 PM

I usually overdo it on cheese and crackers, but when I'm feeling like I need a chocolate boost, I eat one of the Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups, which are 70 calories a piece and very delicious (they are bigger than the mini sized Reese's peanut butter cups). However, I had them out on the counter to weigh the benefits last night of having one and one cracker and cheese snack won out (and was far more satisfying). I just tend to be a savory over sweet food person.

by Anonymousreply 225May 4, 2023 5:50 PM

Trying to eat one meal a day. I know from prior weight loss plans that eating dinner before 7 pm works well so I just had lunch. Not a great one but it's going to take me a few days to get used to eating this way.

Congrats to R223! I will use you as inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 226May 4, 2023 6:07 PM

Good job for buckling down, Cosmo. It sounds like you already know what your body needs and what works for you. I know how it feels to have to re-adjust to tried and true when you've been eating differently for a time period. I've noticed during this journey that even when I take two days of paying attention to my diet, I tend to switch into a fatalistic attitude (temporarily) where I think "well, there's goes the diet!"

Then I remind myself that each day is a new chance to start again and do the best I can, that's it not all or nothing and that I can do this and be successful if I just focus my efforts and try to be consistent.

by Anonymousreply 227May 4, 2023 6:21 PM

Weight loss team, ASSEMBLE!

How's it going? Anyone just starting on their journey? Anyone re-starting?

I re-started yesterday and am proud to report that I'm down 27 lbs. since January. I have about 4 lbs to go before I get to goal weight. I had stopped doing my walking and/or hiking at least 4 times a week, but decided that in addition to this helping with weight loss, it just makes me feel better and helps me to clear my mind and get out of my head a bit.

My friend has asked me to help her now as she's pre-diabetic and doesn't think her doctor will prescribe her Monjourno/Ozempic/Wegovy. I think she will, but I'm willing to help her out to see if she can make some headway on her own.

Do we have anybody else who is taking semaglutide or tirzepatide? If so, besides taking the medication, have you added any exercise to your routine?

by Anonymousreply 228May 18, 2023 3:06 PM

R16 Toasting nuts takes nutrients out of them and does some other bad stuff, I forget what.

by Anonymousreply 229May 18, 2023 3:25 PM

I've never heard that toasting nuts removes nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 230May 18, 2023 4:59 PM

Hm. I was skeptical about the claim at r229 and it's partially correct:

[quote]Both raw and roasted nuts are good for you and provide health benefits. Both varieties contain similar amounts of calories, protein, carbs and fiber. However, roasting nuts may damage their healthy fat, reduce their nutrient content and lead to the formation of a harmful substance called acrylamide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231May 18, 2023 5:09 PM

"How about LICKING NUTS"!!

Do we get vitamins that way too?

by Anonymousreply 232May 18, 2023 5:27 PM

R228, not doing too well. This week I attended 2 luncheons and both featured Italian food. I am looking into 2 nearby gyms. I know I can't out-exercise a bad diet but, sometimes, the exercise helps me make better food choices. I'll let everyone know what I decide.

by Anonymousreply 233May 19, 2023 11:55 AM

R190- I thought that’s comes from having an allergy to peanuts 🥜.

by Anonymousreply 234May 19, 2023 12:13 PM

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for two months now. I’ve lost ten pounds so far. But with my cruise coming up next week, I’ll have to make adjustments to my schedule. My nutritionist said that I should indulge myself but be mindful about what I’m eating. I’m on the 10:14 schedule. I stop eating after 10 pm and don’t eat again until noon the next day. Planning on doing some tours, so I’ll try to plan my meals around that.

by Anonymousreply 235May 19, 2023 2:14 PM

r235 great job with the weight loss. Where are you going on your cruise? I went on my first one last year to Alaska. Got the drinks package. That was a mistake lol

Cosmo/ R233 - I agree, when exercise is part of your routine it does tend to help you make healthier eating choices. I think it's the idea that if you just ran xx miles or worked out for an hour, you really don't want to just blow all that time and work by consuming a bunch of calories. I hope that helps you!

by Anonymousreply 236May 19, 2023 3:16 PM

Thanks r236. The Caribbean on the MSC Seaside. I’m going along with a friend of mine who also posts here. Mexico and Nassau. Hearing mixed reviews about the food, so I may end up losing weight anyway lol.

by Anonymousreply 237May 19, 2023 3:52 PM

R237- I'm going on a cruise to Turkey(among other countries) in July. I've been ruthless with myself at home and I shall continue to do so on the cruise.

by Anonymousreply 238May 19, 2023 4:27 PM

Oh oh oh Ozempic.

by Anonymousreply 239May 20, 2023 12:05 AM

r239 is that was you're on?

by Anonymousreply 240May 20, 2023 12:25 AM

Meal prep. Control your calories.

Run on treadmill.

Eat a vegetable for snack. 🍅🥒 🧅 🥬

Marvel at the weight loss. You're a new person. Thin.

Wake up in the night paranoid, feeling your collar bones to see if the fat returned.

Binge/purge. Become obsessed with how thin you are. Compare yourself to others. The thinnest wins. When you're skinny you win.

Say fuck it and eat what you want. If people only like you because you're thin, who cares.

Realize being too too fat isn't healthy either. Watch what you eat. But don't go crazy.

Accept that you are a cute fat manatee and squish glass.

Drink alcohol and spin around doing manic Britney dances.

Cry about your life because a fuck boy is busy.

Eat all the hohos in the pantry. Go on trip fat.

Jump overboard on cruise get saved by hot lifeguard into fatties.

Hot damn he really loves the pound endowed! You had no idea these guys exist.

You are fat and loved. Now you can eat what you want and be healthy. You don't crave sundaes. What you really wanted was love and you got it.

by Anonymousreply 241May 20, 2023 2:43 AM

r241 - is that an autobiography in 15 lines? lol

by Anonymousreply 242May 20, 2023 3:57 AM

Down 28 today! I'm hoping to reach 30 by the end of May - which will get me to 30 lbs lost in 5 1/2 months.

How about you? Where are our medically-assisted brethren at? The Ozempic/Wegovy/Monjourno crew?

by Anonymousreply 243May 20, 2023 4:07 PM

I am down 90 pounds since Thanksgiving. Keto autophagy. I have a large vegetable salad on days I eat, and I alternate with days of minimal nutrition of a 25 gram soy protein smoothie. on the smoothie days I supplement with potassium and phosphorus. I'm retired, live alone and only have to worry about me. 40 more pounds to go.

by Anonymousreply 244May 23, 2023 9:21 AM

R244 90 pounds! Wow! Congratulations.

I plateaued at 22 pounds and regained two, but I am 5'11" and currently 162, so I don't have a lot more to lose.

I would like to be 155 because I am most comfortable when thin with little jiggle. I have a very slight frame and at 182, I felt like I was carrying another person around.

I was excercising moderately for weeks but life has gotten in the way, first personal commitments and then sickness. (I'm sick with a COVID-like illness now that apparently is not COVID.)

I have been using a calorie-counting app and eating more steamed veggies and lean meat, less junk food overall, and that's really all it takes. It's amazing how many calories I can eat without thinking about it.

I regained some weight because of my birthday on May 6. Cake at work, cake at home, cake on the weekends, people insisting on taking me out to eat and then telling the restaurant to bring me cake. It gets to a point of feeling like an assault and making me want to be totally asocial, but I have to keep telling myself that people do it out of kindness because they are trained that food = demonstration of care. I just don't get it. There's so much more to life than fattening people up like animals about to be slaughtered.

by Anonymousreply 245May 23, 2023 11:14 AM

It's crazy how many calories there are in something as seemingly benign and ultimately unfulfilling as a Snickers bar or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Suddenly you have to skip a meal to get the calories to balance out.

by Anonymousreply 246May 23, 2023 5:04 PM

I'm the person who was down 28 lbs and over the past few days I've gone hog wild, literally. I was very hungry yesterday and ate way too much - i'm back up 2 1/2 lbs. But what I've learned is it's not the end of the world and I just need to buckle down for a few days to get back to where I was. Also, my clothes are definitely looser, so it's really just temporary.

For the poster that's lost 90 lbs, amazing job! Although your diet sounds austere to me, it sounds like it's something that's manageable for you and you've adapted to it. Congratulations and wishing you luck for the rest of your journey.

by Anonymousreply 247May 23, 2023 6:08 PM

r247, It's like sitting around all day watching me watch a candle burning in a mirror. That is what burning fat looks like. Next week I am wearing a heart telemetry monitor as I want to nail down the status of my heart. I have a companion CT heart Angiogram next month followed by another TTE and carotid arteries echo. After I turned Medicare eligible, there is no test I pass up.

r244

by Anonymousreply 248May 23, 2023 8:26 PM

How is everyone doing?

Progress?

Fallen off the wagon into a gallon of ice cream?

Spill it.

by Anonymousreply 249May 31, 2023 12:30 PM

29 lbs today lost since end of January!!! Almost at the big 30! (CICO)

Goal weight is in 7 lbs. I'd probably be closer but I admit I've been a bit lax on eating on some days and my focused exercise of hiking or walking almost every day has been a bit lacking while I've focused on other activities. But I have had enough calorie deficit days and other physical activity to keep the ball rolling backward.

How about others?

by Anonymousreply 250May 31, 2023 12:55 PM

I’m addicted to sugar free popsicles, the Popsicle brand Sugar Free Tropical flavors are good, the sugar free regular flavors are not as good from that brand.

There’s another brand that comes in a clear plastic bag, called Budget Savers (or something like that) those are really good, too. The sugar free pineapple-cherry flavor is good, as are the sugar free twin pops, but those are harder to eat.

by Anonymousreply 251May 31, 2023 3:32 PM

R249 thanks for checking in. I had reached a new low and thought I was about to break through a plateau, then I allowed myself two meals relatively unchecked, and 3 pounds right back on.

It's sort of dispiriting. I'm within 10 pounds of my first weight goal, as I have a lot to lose. When I get there, I will have lost 35 pounds. Right now, I've lost 28. The second weight goal is 30 more which will get me under the dreaded 200, then the third and final goal is 20 more.

by Anonymousreply 252May 31, 2023 6:30 PM

r252, those two pounds and three pounds are an illusion. It takes food, relatively, about 24 hours to move through the alimentary canal. Your real effect of the meals would be in three days and after a couple of BMs. Don't be so hard on yourself.

r249

by Anonymousreply 253May 31, 2023 9:47 PM

Yes, I usually weigh 2-3 pounds more by bedtime than I do in the morning, and using the bathroom in the AM can directly shed over a pound sometimes. A few pounds can be very illusory. Dehydration isn't healthy but it can shed a few pounds temporarily and drinking a lot of water while working out adds temporary and illusory weight gain.

Tracking weight over a week or several weeks is a reliahle gauge but from day to day it's not very sound.

by Anonymousreply 254May 31, 2023 10:26 PM

I've lost a couple of pounds. I joined a gym that I really like. That has helped my eating habits as I'm making the conscious decision not to try to out-exercise a bad diet; something we all know can't be done. The tough part is that I re-joined WW online only and their portion sizes for protein are 1/2 as much as the gym's recommendations. I will continue to track my food but eat more protein. With WW, it's all about using your points wisely.

Very happy for those of you who are losing and continuing to lose. I am working hard to be one of you!

by Anonymousreply 255June 1, 2023 1:23 PM

I have lost about 3.5 kg in two weeks. I got new anti-depressants, which made my weight increase by 7 kg in just a month. I stopped taking them. Half of that weight gain is now gone, thanks to starvation (yes, really). I barely eat, maybe just like a salad and two fruits a day. I have also increased my exercise from 2 times a week to 4-5 times a week. I am talking hard exercise, like 2-3 hours hikes... to mountain tops. I am exhausted, but it works and it's well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 256April 18, 2024 6:23 AM

I'm officially down 4 kg... in two fucking weeks. I'm so damn proud of myself. I have worked my ass off to lose all the weight I gained on the antidepressants. I am almost there, over halfway. I have starved myself every day and gone on long hikes and bike rides. I have worked out almost every day! I almost threw up and passed out a couple of times, but it was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 257April 19, 2024 10:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!