Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mainland Australia turns red after NSW Labor victory

[quote]All states and territories on mainland Australia will be governed by the Labor Party for the first time in 15 years, after victory in the New South Wales Election.

[quote]The outcome means the whole of Australia, except for Tasmania, will have a Labor state and federal government for the first time since Kevin Rudd became prime minister in 2007. It is the second time this has ever happened in Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 2:58 AM

see? DARKGEMINILORD?

this is why u vote

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 5:41 PM

Didn’t the British stage a coup the last time this happened?

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 5:42 PM

Is Labor conservative or liberal in Australia?

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 6:44 PM

Labor are lefties. Red signifies left outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 6:50 PM

It used to signify left here, too. For some reason, it got switched around and now it's the reverse. Red is also associated with communism, which is obviously as far left as you can go.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 6:56 PM

Per my Bing A.I., this distinction between the red and blue US states was cemented in the national psyche in 2000. Before that, it flipped back and forth from election to election and network to network.

I'm surprised it was this recent, thought it happened ages ago.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 7:11 PM

Red's association with the Republican Party and blue with the Democrats is recent, owing to the use of the colors on TV election-night maps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 7:12 PM

R7, I heard it was solid ORD during the Bush v Gore election, prior to that, the networks would play with the colors. I think the person that told me that may be wrong

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2023 7:31 PM

Yes, like it says at r6, the distinction was cemented in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2023 7:34 PM

Solid Chicago O'Hare?

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 7:42 PM

R5 The continuum of politics between left and right is complicated. Having been exposed to various flavors of anarchism, the brutal centralized authoritarian culturally retrogressive Communists in the last 100 years are not "all the way to the Left at all."

I've friends in Australia who are committed Labour Party members/activists. Australia tittered on the edge of the reaction Populism growing in the world a couple years ago - evangelicals in power etc. This is a welcome, but not unexpected swing back to "normal".... the Labour Party policy map is about Bernie Sanders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 2:33 AM

I See Red.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 2:53 AM

[quote] Red's association with the Republican Party and blue with the Democrats is recent, owing to the use of the colors on TV election-night maps.

But very apt, given that the Republican Party is now a fully Russian-owned franchise.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 2:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!