Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Being kind

It’s telling that I remember moments so clearly throughout life of people being especially and unexpectedly kind to me.

This came up because I work in a large doctors office. A (beautiful) young man signed in at the front desk for his appt. After he was done seeing the doctor he came back to the front desk and asked for the person he had talked to the day before when calling to make the appt. A colleague identified herself as the person who likely spoke to him.

He saw her and literally started to sob. He profusely thanked her for being so kind to him. He said he had been in such pain and was desperately calling doctors on his insurance hoping to find an appt but all were booked months in advance. Only she had taken the time to squeeze him in despite the doc being booked. The patient was so grateful, and he wanted her to know how much that meant to him.

When he left, we sort of sat there stunned because no one ever gives credit to the front desk. And yes, my colleague is a lovely person and her kindness is felt by so many.

Be kind.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 7:18 PM

Thanks for this post, OP, especially given the snarky climate of this site...

It really is so important to be kind to people because you never know how that kindness is going to strike in people. Maybe it comes when people need it the most... maybe they take your kindness and are able to pass it forward to someone else... and it generally costs nothing. I always appreciate the reminder, because it is so simple, yet so easy to get wrapped up in your own life and forget.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 5:30 PM

Stop fighting. Just be kind. Please! People may think I’m weak-hearted or too sweet for my own good and they may be right. But that’s a choice I made. It’s strategic and a necessity. It’s how I fight in this world. In another life, I would have really liked to just do laundry and taxes and work out and be an alpha and not give a shit but not in this universe.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 5:39 PM

I find the simple gesture of thanking someone for how they helped you, even years later, makes an amazing effect.

Last summer I was walking with a friend who’s a college professor. A woman comes up to him and ask if was a history professor. When he said yes, she said that she was his student 20 years ago, and it was the best class she had taken. Even though it wasn’t even in her field (she’s an architect), she still uses snippets of what he taught her all the time.

What a wonderful moment for my friend. He beamed the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 5:41 PM

On my headstone “be kind to children and animals “.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 7:15 PM

I have had experiences of receptionists and medical or dental assistants being very kind in difficult situations. The one that stands out to me was when I had abscessed tooth in 2014. At the time, I was going through other personal issues as a close friend of mine had died of cancer several months before and I was working high stress job in home health care. I was really depressed from those issues and physically ill from the abscess. My prior dentist had retired several months before and a friend recommended her dentist to me. I went for the exam and the dentist was very kind and compassionate and immediately prescribed the antibiotics and pain meds. I hadn't slept much the night before and looked exhausted. The dental assistant was very kind and I think she sensed all the stress I was in. I was sitting in the dental chair and she put her hand on my shoulder and she said in a very kind and concerned voice "I hope you feel better in parts of your life". The dentist performed the root canal a week or so later and that particular dental assistant was very kind in making me feel comfortable during the root canal and the crown build up process. I went that to that dentist for a couple of years after and when I moved away I was sad because of the care and service I received from them.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 7:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!