Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James and the Giant Peach (1996)

Let's discuss the stop-motion animated musical film James and the Giant Peach. Young James Henry Trotter flies from England to New York City on a giant peach and many insects.

Directed by Henry Selick

Produced by Tim Burton

Music by Randy Newman and Johann Sebastian Bach

Paul Terry as James

with Simon Callow, Richard Dreyfuss, Jane Leeves, Joanna Lumley, Miriam Margolyes, Susan Sarandon, David Thewlis, and PETE POSTLETHWAITE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2023 6:09 PM

Based on the novel by Roald Dahl

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 2:47 PM

One of my favorite animated movies ever. Just listen to the Old Green Grasshopper play Bach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 2:48 PM

Golly, it must have taken loads of men to fill that peach!

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 2:49 PM

R3 lol it was stop-motion

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 2:55 PM

fun film

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 5:49 PM

No other comments? I thought this thread would be hot

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 12:04 AM

Cool movie but FUCK ME, I HATE RANDY NEWMAN. Why was this bland ass motherfucker the default go-to guy for every animated film score from 1995-2010?

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 1:26 AM

I could never make it through the end of the book. All those insects creeped me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2023 2:41 AM

Who doesn’t love Joanna Lumely?

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2023 3:01 AM

R9 James doesn't

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 7:10 PM

Still holds up

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2023 2:23 PM

I really hate his music, too, R7. The first note in that stuffy-nosed, twangy voice sends me leaping for the Mute button. I read in the liner notes to the Nilsson Schmilsson album that Harry Nilsson loved Randy Newman's music, and it made me think less of him. It was a long time ago, though, and maybe Newman was justifiably respected at the time.

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2023 2:32 PM

Newman is a good composer, bad singer.

Fortunately in this, there are a few violin works from Bach (Partition No 2 and 3) to make up for it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2023 2:38 PM

Miriam Margolyes and Joanna Lumley are so effective as the evil aunts. Their comeuppance at the end where they get their wigs ripped off and wrapped like mummies in in the spiders' web is genuinely creepy.

by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2023 3:27 PM

R14 they are so ugly here too.

by Anonymousreply 15April 17, 2023 5:25 PM

I found it unappealing. It was like they were applying the techniques of Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas or The Corpse Bride to the wrong kind of story.

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2023 5:48 PM

R16 I disagree. I think it fits. The stop motion was only for the insects and the "magical world"

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2023 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!