Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kidney stones

I have a fucker of a kidney stone. It hurts like hell. I went to the ER yesterday and the CT Scan said it’s a big one (9mm).

Because I likely won’t pass it on my own, the urologist is going to stick a stent up my pee hole to get it on Monday.

This all sounds awful but I want this annoying pain stop. At least they put me on a mild opioid in the meantime that sort of works. I hope I don’t become an addict.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2023 2:52 AM

k

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 2:20 PM

Sorry you're going through this, OP, and I wouldn't worry too much about mild painkillers. I hope you're able to get more comfortable and keep yourself distracted this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 2:21 PM

I'm really scared of getting these when I'm older. I was addicted to energy drinks for years.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 2:21 PM

R3 You will get them. Here's how mine have played out. Out of the blue for a couple days I feel nauseated, then back to normal. One day I realize I have that strange pain in mid back - then it gets excruciating, then gone, then excruciating, repeat several times. All is quiet and normal then a few days later when I'm peeing - CLINK - a kidney stone pops out. I've had about 10 over the years. I drank TONS of soda in high school/college - perhaps that, combined with genetics, has made me more prone to stones. Also, R3, the pain of it churning inside you is 100 times worse than actually passing it - because the churning goes on and on, the passing is (at least for me) just a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 2:26 PM

If you're worried about becoming an addict, OP, try 600 ibuprofen with 2 tylenol. Does more than you think it will, and neither are addictive. Tylenol will fuck up your liver if you take it too long, though. Never drink on it.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 2:32 PM

You can get kidney stones when you’re young too.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 2:36 PM

ibuprofen does more for kidney stone pain that the other shit they’re giving you.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 2:37 PM

OP, what’s the name of the drug they gave you?

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2023 2:37 PM

Stones are the WORST. Absolutely the worst pain I think a human being can feel (and I've dealt with my fair share of chronic pain). And even worse is the cramping and vomiting on top of that.

If they give you the option of surgical removal (due to size), usually blasting them with a laser - DO IT. Do NOT hesitant. It's a godsend. Yes, there's a bit of pain afterward, but trying to pass them on your own is infinitely worse, and can take weeks. Learned the hard way to not avoid the surgery due to my own fears. If given the option, I'll never wait again.

And as others have said above, hydrocodone can feel great, but it only numbs the pain for so long. Ibuprofen, with a Tylenol or two, actually works wonders instead. If you aren't scared, a little CBD gummie or edible can also help you get through the pain too.

I wish you the best of luck. Stones suck. But you will get through it.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2023 2:41 PM

My sister was diagnosed with Nephritis ate the age of four, had and passed her first kidney stone at the age of eight. Initially they thought it was appendicitis .Every summer she ended up in the hospital with a stone. When she reached her teens, she basically outgrew the condition, which is what normally happens.

I do remember the doctor telling my mom that she should avoid foods high in calcium, as they contribute to the formation of stones in someone with this condition.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 2:51 PM

I have a heroin addicted friend who got sober, ballooned to 300,became a sober companion and met a model who could eat anything at any time and still look great, got depressed after that joband then got the most restrictrictive surgery available. It gave her constant kidney stones, so now shes on a genuinely shockingly amount of something like Oxy and her personality has completely changed. Charming when sober, now horrible to be around, holy shit. Trouble is she is still working as an intervention consultant and sober companion for Hollywood. I still like her but God she's obnoxious now. I loved her old, sober self.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2023 2:56 PM

^^^ Also she looks like an old man now. She was peachy-cheeked before, and bright. It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2023 2:57 PM

Stay a away from vitamin C supplements.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2023 3:00 PM

Get some big burly fellow to slug you hard in the kidney. P-O-W!

Knock it out!

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2023 3:05 PM

These threads always give me the jeebies, let me fetch some water.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2023 3:07 PM

I've had two lithotripsies. They were painless. I was peeing a bit of "sand" for a couple days, but that didn't hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2023 3:31 PM

I've been through this four times, OP. Got my first at the age of 23! Two passed on their own, and I had two laser surgeries. The first was for a 13mm stone. All the descriptions of the surgery and the aftermath are horrific, but in terms of actual pain they are FAR less than the pain of the stone. I am doubting those who claim ibuprofen did anything for them. With stone #3 I ended up in an ambulance with the (hot -this is DL after all) paramedics giving me three morphine shots during a 15-minute ride to the ER. And I was still screaming in agony. At the hospital they added Ketorolac and Pethidine to the morphine in an IV-drip, and that only brought the pain down to a manageable level -it was far from gone.

Drink a lot of extra water, guys. Take it from me -you don't want to go through this.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2023 3:56 PM

[Quote] If you're worried about becoming an addict, OP, try 600 ibuprofen with 2 tylenol. Does more than you think it will, and neither are addictive. Tylenol will fuck up your liver if you take it too long, though. Never drink on it.

I was popping ibuprofen like candy before I went to the ER. They took my blood when I first got there. The ER gave me something in the same class as ibuprofen—Toradol which worked wonders. When my blood results came back, however, the doc was really concerned about my kidney values, showing some mild damage. He thought it may be because of all the ibuprofen I took. So, he asked me to hold off on the ibuprofen until I got the stone out and gave me a mild opiate, which works ok but not great.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2023 4:45 PM

When I had my first stone and went to the ER 15 years ago, the ER gave me morphine and it didn’t do a damned thing.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2023 4:47 PM

Stones can be formed by dehydration, Vit. C supplements, heavy meat diet, low carb diet, among many other things

The stones often stay on your kidneys for decades. It’s when then start going down from the kidney to the bladder through the ureters that the pain usually starts

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2023 4:53 PM

Apparently drinking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar helps dissolve small stones. I guess it changes the pH of the urine.

Potassium citrate does too

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2023 5:08 PM

When I first felt of my kidney stone, I vomited like crazy during each wave of pain. Awful

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2023 5:10 PM

OP, sorry to hear you are suffering. If it’s any consolation I drove a friend to and from this procedure and he said it wasn’t nearly as bad as he thought it would be and he hardly felt anything.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2023 6:15 PM

My mother had 3 lithotripsy procedures for one stone. It was a disaster. Two stents too.

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2023 6:17 PM

[quote]OP, try 600 ibuprofen with 2 tylenol.

WHAT???

600 ibuprofen? That's a whole fuck ton of ibuprofen, toots.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2023 7:10 PM

R25, he's talking about the 600 mg tablet of Ibuprofen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 8:36 PM

I thought they could do laser on them??

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 8:46 PM

I know someone who had this procedure and it worked for them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2023 8:49 PM

[Quote] 600 ibuprofen? That's a whole fuck ton of ibuprofen, toots.

Op here. When I first felt the pain, I was taking 600 mg of ibuprofen (3 pills) almost every 4 hours. I went to the ER a day later and the blood showed my kidney was extra fucked up, likely because I took so much. As I wait for the procedure on Monday, I’m taking a light opioid instead because it doesn’t affect the kidneys much. Overall, however, ibuprofen worked the best to relieve the pain.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2023 4:37 AM

You think 600mg of Ibuprofen is a lot? Try the 800mg pill. ;)

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2023 5:49 AM

I had a bad fever and once tried an 800 mg ibuprofen pill that my neighbor gave me.

It completely knocked that fever out. It was awesome

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2023 1:37 PM

Op here—FINALLY went to the OR and got a stent put in that goes from my kidney to my bladder. That has reduced a lot of the pain.

In 2 weeks I’m going back to the OR to get my kidney stone lasered away. Apparently, the doc will put in another stent at that time and then a week later remove that stent.

What a pain! But at least there little pain left.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2023 2:57 AM

the only thing that stops the pain is Toradol injection, either from the ER or your doc. Truly.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2023 3:01 AM

Toradol was amazing!! Got it in the ER

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2023 3:12 AM

Kidney stone under the electron microscope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2023 8:35 AM

add cranberry juice to your shopping list!

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2023 2:05 AM

OP, a lifetime on a filthy, louse-ridden rug in a cellar opium den in Macao is better than enduring a minute of kidney stone pain.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2023 2:08 AM

When my first one took me to emerg my nurse said: I've had a baby and I've had a kidney stone. I'd rather have another baby.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2023 2:13 AM

Went through the same thing just two months ago, OP. It's horrible.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2023 2:15 AM

Worst pain I ever felt other than when I was eight and had to have the tendons connecting my thighs to my groin severed to remove a hernia and had to use those bars for rehabilitation like on murial's wedding ( when having a bitch nurse screaming at me for crying ) was when my optometrist popped a stye in my eyelid with two q-tips with the cotton removed. That shit feels like they are breaking a bone in your skull.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2023 4:10 AM

Op here—this kidney stone removal process has been a nightmare.

Over the last month, I had a stent put into my ureter under anesthesia and then a few weeks after that my doc went in and lasered the stone, also under anesthesia. 2 weeks after that, he took out the stent in his office.

I thought it was over but two days after that, I got fevers and chills. He thinks it might be a prostate infection from the procedure. Now I’m on Bactrim for a month and I feel like an old man when I try to pee.

Cannot wait to get back to normal

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2023 12:57 AM

R25 = Rose Nylund.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2023 1:06 AM

R41 I had kidney stone 3 times in my life. The first time at age 19, that one was the worst. Then at age 30, and more recently at age 60. I hope I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2023 1:50 AM

OP, what you're going through is my worst nightmare. Do you have a companion to take care of you? Are you able to distract yourself with things you enjoy doing? Can you take time off of work?

Sorry to sound like a social work intern. But I hope you'll feel better soon.

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2023 2:01 AM

R44, yes, I have a partner. He’s not naturally much of a caregiver, sadly. He handles illness with stupid jokes.

Thank you for your well wishes. This whole process has gone over a month. It sucks

by Anonymousreply 45May 10, 2023 1:41 PM

It's very weird to have a stent put in and then weeks later the stone lasered out.

I just had my second kidney stone (a huge one that got stuck in the ureter) and they went in with a laser, blasted it out, put in a stent, and then a week later, removed the stent.

That was two months ago. I still don't think I'm back to normal. My previous kidney stone was 15 years ago. So I guess I go through this again in 15 years...

by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2023 1:45 PM

You are more likely to get stones from milk and nuts than soda.

Soda is just flavored water with tons of sugar or artificial sweetener.

Also genetics plays a huge part.

by Anonymousreply 47May 10, 2023 2:00 PM

Op here. After spiking a fever after my stent was removed, the doc put me on Bactrim for a UTI.

That didn’t stop the fevers, so after the urine culture came back, the antibiotic was switched to Cipro.

10 days of Cipro ended today. I feel back to normal at this point.

Except one thing: when I jerk off, it fucking painful! I looked at Google and it says that pain can last up to three months after a stent. FUCK!!

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2023 1:37 AM

All them sperms trying to find an egg in that sore, scoured tissue up and in you, OP at R48.

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2023 1:49 AM

R48, sorry about the hurtful jerk, but I’m really happy that you’ve turned a corner.

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2023 1:52 AM

My sister & father have had kidney stones & told me about the agonizing pain. My mother & I have had gallstones & each had to have our gallbladders removed.

I’ll take gallstones over kidney stones any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2023 2:15 AM

OP types obese person who chomps down too much sodium and don't drink enough water.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2023 2:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!