Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"hip" mother. Do you have one ?

My mother always want to seem in the know and up to date. We were having tea yesterday and I showed her a few pictures of me and a bunch of friends from my last holidays in Spain and she said "you're quite the circus queen". you're quite the circus queen....(and I'm over 50). I know it was a compliment in her mind, but I felt cheap

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2023 2:34 AM

Just embrace being cheap. I mean, you're over 50 and taking holidays in Spain. There are lots of young shut-in, anxious gays who would love to have half the fun you do. Screw it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 1:59 PM

Because ya are, Blanche, ya are a cheap circuit queen. 🤣😉

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 2:01 PM

Not really "hip". My mother has always worn either an Hermes or a Gucci scarf since I can remember, has usually worn massive prescription sunglasses well into the night ( "I can't find my regular ones"), learned how to fly airplanes at age 50 (very well, to my shock) and then helicopters at age 65. She's always been chic, slim, and social, and thereby "up to date", as it were, but she would die if I ever described her as "hip".

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 2:08 PM

At 80 my mom keeps up with pop music in a way I don’t anymore. I don’t know half of who people are these days, but she records SNL and the late night shows to see the musical acts. Also movies, she goes to see new releases in the theaters, and I don’t bother keeping up with new releases anymore since it seems to be mostly crap these days.

And nobody would ever confuse my vacation pics with a circuit party.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 2:41 PM

[quote] she records SNL

you mean, with a VCR ?

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 2:45 PM

Well, no. With DVR or whatever the terminology when you save things from live broadcast. Another way I’m the old fogey since I don’t have cable and just watch streaming services and haven’t a clue how to set that up.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 2:50 PM

You are lucky your mother is supportive and interested. Hell, you're lucky, at your age, to still HAVE your mother.

Buck would NEVER have gone on a free site to complain about me.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 2:53 PM

Yes, its a nightmare.

She's on an a speed diet right now because she says shes two stone overweight. I told her to stop when the palpitations appeared and that it was going to kill her, the doctor told her the same thing and she screamed at him!

Shes currently in her bi-weekly colonic irrigation with her gorgeous chain-smoking bff, who has told me several times that I should've been aborted.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2023 2:58 PM

R8 = Taffy Davenport

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2023 3:17 PM

R9 is a pasta drainer.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 3:18 PM

R10 that was harsh

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2023 3:19 PM

My mother is dead.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2023 3:22 PM

I was speaking with my mother, when all of a sudden, she said," Do you smoke pot?" At that time I didn't, so I answered," No." Her response," That's too bad, because I'd sure like to try some. She was 78.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2023 8:25 PM

Wonderful, R13. Makes me miss my mom, who was very similar to yours.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2023 8:31 PM

My mom (now dead) was somewhat hip. She was curious about pop culture & liked gossip mags, like the Enquirer. She put on makeup every day, even if she was staying home most of the day. She kept up with her hair (color, haircuts). Her clothes were pretty good-quality.

When us kids were young and into rock music, she knew the bands. She liked Axl Rose. I remember watching the MTV awards for best video of the year. They showed clips of all the nominated videos, which included Van Halen's "Jump." After watching the clips, my mom predicted "Jump" would win, and it did.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2023 8:35 PM

My mother wasn't hip but she was well-traveled, liberal and appreciated the Arts.

R13, did you get your mother some pot?

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2023 8:43 PM

Educate her. And, appreciate that she is still in your life.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2023 8:49 PM

No.

She loves and accepts me and my partner, but she's a church lady and always has been.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2023 9:40 PM

[quote]I was speaking with my mother, when all of a sudden, she said," Do you smoke pot?" At that time I didn't, so I answered," No." Her response," That's too bad, because I'd sure like to try some. She was 78.

Colorado made marijuana sales legal on January 1st, 2013(?) and my mother stayed high from January 2nd 2013 until her death in 2022.

High

As

A

Kite

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2023 9:48 PM

She’s been dead for 21 years. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2023 9:50 PM

My mother told me she thought my ex-boyfriend was boorish and probably not great in bed. She was right on both counts. What was I thinking?

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2023 9:58 PM

🎪 👑

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2023 10:06 PM

My grandmother, my last living grandparent, was an IMC nouveau-riche socialite out in Africa in the 60s. She looked like a prettier thinner Janis Joplin, and was an early adopter of the miniskirt and super high-heels at the office (and everywhere else). We have tons of old photos of her where she is dressed to the nines in the contempo fashion and looking money in various international locations.

Grandmama is now 85 and looks melted with massive bunions. She despairs that I her granddaughter of fertile age cut around in sweatpants and walking boots with no makeup, refuse to get a man or pop out kids, and sneer at anything that looks aspirant.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote][R13], did you get your mother some pot?

No, she died before I started up. It would have been a real trip seeing her high, since she was so straight-laced.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2023 2:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!