Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Idaho Republicans Call Free Tampons In Schools Too ‘Woke’ — And Block Them

An Idaho bill aimed at providing students with free feminine hygiene products in school failed on Monday after Republicans slammed the prospect as “woke” and “liberal.”

The one-page House Bill 313, introduced on March 13, would have required that public and public charter schools provide students with free tampons, sanitary napkins and other menstrual products.

Dissenting Republicans decried the bill as “woke” and overly generous.

“This bill is a very liberal policy, and it’s really turning Idaho into a bigger nanny state than ever,” said state Rep. Heather Scott, according to The Daily Beast. “It’s embarrassing not only because of the topic but because of the actual policy itself. So you don’t have to be a woman to understand the absurdity of this policy. And you don’t have to feel that you’re insensitive to not address this.”

The cost of the bill would have been $735,400 — $435,000 allocated toward product dispensers and the remainder for the actual menstrual products, according to the fiscal note.

The cost of the products was calculated at about $3.50 per student for 85,825 female students.

“It’s not a lot of money in the state’s budget,” Republican state Rep. Rod Furniss said on March 16 to the House Education Committee before the bill failed, according to the Idaho Statesman. “Today is a step to preserve womanhood, to give it a chance to start right, to not be embarrassed or feel alienated or ashamed, or to feel like they need to stay home from school due to period poverty.”

Still, the House vote was split down the middle, with 35 in favor and 35 against. Ten of the nay votes came from conservative women on the floor.

“What’s gonna be next?” Scott asked. “We can’t help but sweat. So are the schools now going to be providing deodorant for these kids?”

Another conservative lawmaker, state Rep. Barbara Ehardt, said the phrases “period poverty” and “menstrual equity” used to discuss the bill were “woke terms.”

“Period poverty” refers to the idea that some people, particularly low-income students and students of color, can have trouble accessing the menstrual products they need because they can’t afford them. Factors like sales taxes can make it even harder to obtain these necessary products, the American Civil Liberties Union notes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 26, 2023 6:44 PM

Free bleed in protest

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2023 7:47 AM

[quote]”This bill is a very liberal policy, and it’s really turning Idaho into a bigger nanny state than ever,” said state Rep. Heather Scott, according to The Daily Beast

That’s rich, coming from a politician who’s been fighting to remove books she deems “inappropriate” from school libraries.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 8:02 AM

The topic is embarrassing?!

Grow up, you stupid fuckwad.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 8:03 AM

From the party that wants miscarrying women to bleed to death. They really have a thing about not helping bleeding women.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 8:06 AM

Tap into your telekinetic powers, bleeders!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 8:12 AM

Fuck these assholes!

In places like India and countries in Africa, girls regularly fall behind in school because they have to miss a week out of every month - which only fuels the “they’re just not as academically capable as boys” narrative. Fuck that shit.

At the risk of alienating everyone here, I’m female. I only mention this because it’s relevant here. When I was in my early ‘20s, I was too poor to afford period products, so I had to sew my own out of old clothes and towels (yeah - I know it’s fucking gross, but half the human population knows what it’s like to have uncontrollable bleeding for what amounts to a quarter of a year. Deal with it.) They worked okay, but that’s an added stress that guys don’t even have to think about (along with the stress of possibly getting pregnant if you have sex.)

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 8:12 AM

R6 I’m sorry you had to go through that. The Idaho GOP calls “period poverty” a woke term, which just shows you how out of touch and cruel they are.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 8:21 AM

Better that free guns be provided in schools. Now THAT would not be woke.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2023 8:24 AM

[quote]Another conservative lawmaker, state Rep. Barbara Ehardt, said the phrases “period poverty” and “menstrual equity” used to discuss the bill were “woke terms.”

Well, it's true that normal people don't use those kind of terms.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2023 8:29 AM

How about those “woke” free toilet stalls in school bathrooms and other public areas? Water ain’t cheap y’all. Bring back the pay toilets. Make people pay to piss and dump!

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 8:32 AM

Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, et al, should donate truckloads of free feminine hygiene products to these schools

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2023 9:41 AM

or they could distribute Diva cup, I've never been able to use one myself (female here), but at least it reusable? I just find them very unpractical when you need to clean them at school/work, it's like tampon, you can't keep them too long or you can die from toxic shock syndrome, if you survive you can end up amputated of your arms and legs.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2023 11:12 AM

Does anyone know what these morons are FOR?

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2023 11:42 AM

Actually, putting deodorant into schools isn't a bad idea. Kids can be real stinkers sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2023 1:04 PM

R14

They don’t want to pay for anything, especially for public schools.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2023 1:17 PM

I bet they'd pay for free Bibles, r15

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2023 1:23 PM

Every time, that I get frustrated with some of our politicians (CZE), I read something that came out of some, well, pretty much any US Republican. And then I think to myself, it could be worse. The outrageous stupidity and complete lack of basic human decency is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2023 1:27 PM

The hard left and hard right are desperate to make life miserable for women. When will voters wake up and stop voting in extremists?

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2023 1:29 PM

There is a significant number of the white population that suffers from insanity and cruelty. These people will do anything to keep the white male power structure in place because they benefit from it and this power structure encourages them to think they are protected members of society. They will not give up their special place for anything and the things they are denied by the power structure they delight in keeping from all those they hate. They don't care if they go without as long as the Black folks and all the others go without as well.

The real tragedy is the good white people don't do anything to oppose this.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2023 1:35 PM

Providing period products is a small and easy thing that can be done that will help others. Anyone against it is a sociopath as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2023 1:37 PM

Providing period products is a small and easy thing that can be done that will help others. Anyone against it is a sociopath as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2023 1:37 PM

How come you capitalized black but not white, R19? Are you a white gay male progressive?

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2023 1:38 PM

No r22 I capitalized Black because that has been the common practice for some time now.

You will have to do some research for the answer why that is the norm. It didn't start with me you dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2023 1:42 PM

[quote]No [R22] I capitalized Black because that has been the common practice for some time now. You will have to do some research for the answer why that is the norm. It didn't start with me you dumb ass.

Yep, you are a white gay male progressive.

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2023 1:46 PM

Idaho is over 90% white. The overwhelming majority of poor people in Idaho are white. Trying to bring some racial division nonsense to this thread is kind of lame R22.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2023 1:48 PM

White women still vote for the GOP by a majority.

Cunts, this is what you voted for

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 1:48 PM

Of course the DL trolls will come out and say “Menstrual products should only be between a girl and her mother…”

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 1:49 PM

They would do the same for toilet tissue but white boys need that

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2023 1:49 PM

[quote]Idaho is over 90% white. The overwhelming majority of poor people in Idaho are white. Trying to bring some racial division nonsense to this thread is kind of lame [R22].

As opposed white gay male progressives who capitalize black but not white? That’s not what only divisive, it’s supremacist. Which is doubly-lame.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2023 1:52 PM

R9 Only abnormal people.

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2023 1:57 PM

I agree that there should be a consistent policy for all paper products used in bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2023 2:04 PM

[quote]period poverty

May that asteroid hit us. God I hate nuSpeak.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2023 2:14 PM

Idaho also has a town where the hospital shut down its maternity ward due to Roe vs Wade being overturned. Reap what you sow.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2023 2:15 PM

Reads like the onion. I'm surprised the rethuglican witch didn't use food as the example of something else that a child should not be provided. Giving kids deodorant is also a good idea. Actually give everybody deodorant please.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2023 2:17 PM

R33 The teenage girls getting these free tampons aren't responsible for those laws. Yeah, their parents probably suck, but they shouldn't be punished for that.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2023 2:18 PM

Of course not R35. My statement was just to reinforce how White Christians, and Idaho is full of them and most are die hard Magats, view females in general.

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2023 2:25 PM

I hate when the young’uns use new terms too R32. I mean the bees knees was a perfectly good phrase but the bobby soxers had to come around with their “peachy keen.” Well I never!

Why can’t the just call it the curse cash crunch? Poverty is such a modern term, I have to get out my smelling salts.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2023 2:32 PM

Before you know it they’ll demand that tampons be placed in boys bathrooms because boys can also have periods.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2023 2:39 PM

My cousin's wife spent part of her teen years living with her shitty dad and stepmom. Her mother died when she was 12 and her dad and his then wife took custody. They constantly bitched about having to pay extra money because she was living with them one of their gripes was paying for pads and tampons. Her maternal grandparents agreed to buy her pads, tampons, and toiletries to shut up the dad and step-mom. This went on for a couple of years before her dad agreed to give guardianship to the grandparents and allowed her to move in with them. Some kids have shitty neglectful parents who just don't want to shell money for certain things. My cousin's wife has said that she was lucky to at have grandparents and relatives who were willing to take on responsibilities that her piece of shit father didn't want to do.

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2023 2:44 PM

You've never heard of prosperity gospel? You're supposed to pray for whatever you need and if God doesn't grant it to you it's because you're a worthless piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2023 2:51 PM

R15. I doubt these people are paying for anything anyway.

These are Republicans we're talking about. The only thing they like to do is complain about is other people getting free stuff instead of them. They want to be catered to 24/7 with free bibles and soothing messages that everybody loves them.

And everyone else gets shit all.

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2023 2:54 PM

R39 My stepdad was like that too. Even though my bio father was dead and had been in the military, so I got social security and military death benefits until I turned 18. My stepdad still hated paying for anything for me and my sister. He also hated us getting anything, even if it was free. We went to a private school on scholarship, until our mom got remarried. My stepdad said that his tax dollars went to fund public schools, so we were gonna use them.

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2023 3:05 PM

R18, the "hard left" isn't doing this. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2023 3:08 PM

R43

Some people are so desperate to “same thing both sides” absolutely everything. And it’s telling that it’s almost always in a thread where we’re discussing shitty Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2023 3:15 PM

there should be a subsidy for the poor

by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2023 3:39 PM

These shitbags make me hope there is a hell so they can go burn there, sooner rather than later.

"Pro-Life" my tight ass!

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2023 3:47 PM

The right hates females

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2023 5:02 PM

My only beef with this are the terms our side uses. “Period poverty”?!?!? Of COURSE they’re going to slay you. We have to be smarter than that! We keep walking into these traps, it’s so frustrating. If we would refuse to use terms that can be labeled as woke, we are giving them less ammo.

I’m a woman, I of course 100% support this type of bill. Remember, these are the same mother fuckers who don’t want to feed hungry school children, so they sure as fuck aren’t going to give away tampons. I hate them so much.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2023 5:27 PM

Why is providing something that is a human need “woke”?

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2023 5:52 PM

The irony is that the GOP has worked very very very hard to make “woke” a hated term, it originated with black people. But recent data shows that most Americans like the term “woke”, they understand what it means and the GOP campaign has actually failed. But for the love of God, get rid of “period poverty”. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2023 5:58 PM

They tried to get rid of it.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2023 6:17 PM

What the hell is wrong with the term period poverty?

Go away, both sides trolls

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2023 7:04 PM

Pay toilets were primarily a burden on women, since men don’t have periods and can use the urinal for free. And of course, men and other “undesirables” were scapegoated as the for reason pay toilets to exist:

[quote]Nik-O-Lok and American Coil Lock Company, another stall-door lock manufacturer, argued that pay toilets “discourage drug addicts, homosexuals, muggers and just plain hippies from haunting public restrooms.”

Sound familiar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2023 7:13 PM

^^ GAY MEN and other “undesirables” were scapegoated…

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2023 7:15 PM

I'm sure this was already on my list of "States to Avoid" but just the same...

IDAHO - avoid at all costs

Not to be confused with IOWA, also to be avoided at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2023 7:17 PM

R55 That quadruple homicide of college students last November really shed light on Idaho’s violent, male-dominated culture. It’s no wonder that dozens of gun-loving, animal hunting men who chronically stalked and harassed women in the area were likely suspects. It must have been a nightmare for the local P.D. to rule them all out.!

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2023 7:33 PM

My daddy always said that tampons were "the devil's fingers".

Good girls wear sanitary pads.

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2023 7:45 PM

Lindz, I hope South Carolina starts giving free sanitary pads out to beautiful belles like yourself!

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2023 7:46 PM

Hey, Idaho, are you really going to let Qatar be a better place for women's education than Idaho

[bold]Nine Afghan girl robotics team members safe in Qatar[/bold] 20 August 2021

After scrambling for days to bring them to safety, nine members of an Afghan all-girls robotics team have arrived in Qatar, the team's parent organisation has confirmed.Their flight out of Afghanistan was organised by the Qatar government, which expedited visas and sent an aircraft.The team first made headlines in 2017 after winning a special award at an international robotics competition in the US.

They have been widely praised as a shining example of the potential of women's education in Afghanistan.

The departure of the team members, aged 15 to 19, as well as a 25-year-old teacher, comes amid a worsening security situation in Kabul, the Afghan capital.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2023 9:10 PM

Idaho's good, conservative CHRISTIANS would consider those referenced in R59 and deem them woke, slatterns, and bound for hell.

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2023 9:17 PM

This only proves they use a term that is undefined and one that they can't understand.

What does woke mean?

by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2023 9:17 PM

Empathy is woke.

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Why do women put words in all caps when they post comments?

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2023 9:24 PM

Let's go back to the good old days when it was shameful to even say the word out loud. You just handed the clerk a silent coupon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2023 9:36 PM

[quote]“discourage drug addicts, homosexuals, muggers and just plain hippies from haunting public restrooms.”

I've been in a lot of restrooms in my day. And I'm one of those homosexuals.

I've never haunted one. I'm not even dead yet.

by Anonymousreply 65March 25, 2023 11:03 PM

Hippies??

by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2023 11:10 PM

Yes, dear, they were a thing in the '60s, which is where that copy is from.

by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2023 11:12 PM

They were the non-binary of their generation, r66.

by Anonymousreply 68March 25, 2023 11:13 PM

What were the hippies doing in the public restrooms??

by Anonymousreply 69March 25, 2023 11:13 PM

[quote]The right hates females

So does the left with its love affair of putting males in female spaces where they’re the most vulnerable and mutilating little girls. Sorry, but both sides are dreadful when it comes to women.

by Anonymousreply 70March 25, 2023 11:18 PM

Don’t forget taking women’s scholarships aware by putting bio males in female sports, even bashing their heads into the ground during one-on-one sport.

by Anonymousreply 71March 25, 2023 11:20 PM

It’s called female trouble.

by Anonymousreply 72March 25, 2023 11:20 PM

Shocked it took this long for the trolls to turn this into yet another anti-trans thread.

Fuck you bigots and your fucked up propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 73March 25, 2023 11:22 PM

Someone correct me if Im wrong,but have schools ever given out personal care products before? I dont think I ever heard of that,and I was in school in the 60s-70s. That being said,the cost of that stuff is disgraceful. My mother has to use pads,and theyve gone up so much in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 74March 25, 2023 11:25 PM

Repuglicans are doing the best they can to ensure next year is a Dem blowout.

by Anonymousreply 75March 25, 2023 11:30 PM

Slice a 2 inch cut in their taints, hand them a wad of those stiff brown hand towels to stick in their boxers and follow them all day chanting "plug it up!" while periodically, heh, kick them in the guts.

by Anonymousreply 76March 25, 2023 11:47 PM

they should be free, people who can afford the fancier varieties can buy them with their own money

by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2023 11:56 PM

I wonder if many of the no votes were due to use of terms like "Period Poverty" and "Menstual equity"? Those are terms that would get DEI directors motivated but they come across as smug and self righteous. I don't know what would have been better terms to change a vote or two, but it does show that progressives can trip over themselves when it comes to communication to help get legislation passed.

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2023 12:36 AM

R78. Truly a sign that Republicans are some of the dumbest people on the planet then.

If you can't look past the terms to see what the bill actually does you shouldn't have an opinion on it.

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2023 2:30 AM

[quote] Someone correct me if Im wrong,but have schools ever given out personal care products before? I dont think I ever heard of that,and I was in school in the 60s-70s. That being said,the cost of that stuff is disgraceful. My mother has to use pads,and theyve gone up so much in the last few years.

I was in elementary and middle school in the 90s and high school in early 2000s. I grew up in a small town and it was known that the school nurses and several designated teachers kept supplies of pads for female students who needed them. I'm a female and I started menstruation when I was 12. The first time I was at home and I remember my mom after that insisted I keep pads in my backpack at all time because cycles sometimes change. Some of my female friends did the same because of their moms. I remember an incident in middle school in which a friend said she needed a couple pads for the day because she got her period a week earlier than she expected. We went to one of the designated teachers and we saw that she keep a supply of pads in a cabinet. She did ask my friend if she needed pads for multiple days and my friend said no. Back then I figured that there were probably some students that very dependent on those free pads that the school offered. I also remember the pads my friend was given were in small individual boxes and not the plastic pouches that are mostly common with the ones sold in stores.

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2023 4:32 AM

[Quote] Someone correct me if Im wrong,but have schools ever given out personal care products before? I dont think I ever heard of that,and I was in school in the 60s-70s. That being said,the cost of that stuff is disgraceful. My mother has to use pads,and theyve gone up so much in the last few years.

Since about the 1990’s, there’s been a movement to have such items in school bathrooms. They used to be in vending machines to be bought but then started being offered free

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2023 4:46 AM

[Quote] I wonder if many of the no votes were due to use of terms like "Period Poverty" and "Menstual equity"?

Who cares? All the votes were because the right doesn’t prioritize the health of women

by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2023 4:47 AM

What's their excuse for voting against free breakfast and lunch for school kids? Which terms do you think offend their delicate sensibilities, that they would vote against that one?

Wake up. They're pieces of shit, brother.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2023 4:52 AM

This is what Iowa voted for. This is what the women voted for.

Fuck them and their bloody cunts

by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2023 4:57 AM

If the kids don't have tampons, then the parents should be investigated. If they are spending their cash on chips, pop, cigarettes, alcohol, and lottery tickets instead of tampons, they should be held accountable. Stop addressing symptoms and go for the root cause, which in this case is parents' bad life choices.

by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2023 9:58 AM

Yes, let’s put the children of poor parents in foster care! That’ll be so much less expensive R85. Why you are a downright conservative fiscal genius.

by Anonymousreply 86March 26, 2023 10:22 AM

R85. Is this supposed to somehow be an example of smaller government?

Instead of "nanny" putting tampons in schools, we have Big Brother raking through your finances to see whether you've overspent on chips or lottery tickets this month.

And, of course, it'll be up to Big Brother to decide what constitutes an unreasonable expense/bad life choice.

"Oh your child isn't wearing a three-piece suit to school? Clearly that means you're a bad parent who spent too much on soda this month. Off to jail with you!"

by Anonymousreply 87March 26, 2023 12:06 PM

A better plan would be to go back to the scheme r 80 described

by Anonymousreply 88March 26, 2023 12:19 PM

[quote]I’m a female.

Isn’t that a given on DL?

by Anonymousreply 89March 26, 2023 12:31 PM

Same people who cry about the "nanny state" banned discussion of "Critical Race Theory" not just in school but college (so they can't even claim it's about protecting the children)

by Anonymousreply 90March 26, 2023 1:21 PM

Oh please. Idaho isn’t investigating poor people. It’s entire economy is based on poor people buying chips and lottery tickets

by Anonymousreply 91March 26, 2023 1:31 PM

If they only banned drag shows. Apparently that fixes everything

by Anonymousreply 92March 26, 2023 1:32 PM

I have reached the point of not caring about these people. The people of ( insert name of any red state ) have the government and leadership they elected.

In case you missed it, crazy ass MTGs' divorce has already happened. Self inflicted wounds deserve no sympathy.

Truth and common sense are pretty much dead and these idiots.

I'm sure Ted Nugent and the Pillow Princess will give them leadership and direction.

by Anonymousreply 93March 26, 2023 1:34 PM

[quote]It’s entire economy

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 94March 26, 2023 2:47 PM

Given that the real beneficiary of this bill if it were to pass would be the company that secures the state contract to provide supplies to the schools, maybe that company can offer contributions to one or two legislators necessary to change their vote next time this comes to pass. Let's face it there is a corporate welfare component to this bill.

by Anonymousreply 95March 26, 2023 6:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!