Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Bad Cinderella"- everyone is shitting all over this new Broadway show

Some of the TikTok videos about it are tearing it apart, with some people even leaving during intermission. However, everyone talking about how bad it is does have a lot of people curious to go see it. Maybe it will be a terrible show that makes $???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2023 10:12 AM

it will lose its entire capitalization and close in june

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2023 7:36 PM

It was one of the worst Broadway musicals I’ve seen. Well, the first half anyway. We left at intermission.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2023 7:46 PM

I was at a family event in the UK last year and someone there had been to see it and was scandalised that Prime Charming was GASP gay AND GASP black with GASP dreadlocks.

and there was swearing.

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2023 7:46 PM

Yes, it didn’t last long on the West End. But now it’s here in NY.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2023 7:50 PM

it is not worse than "White Girl in Danger" a couple of blocks away.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2023 7:53 PM

[quote] everyone is shitting all over

Foul language and an ugly image.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2023 8:27 PM

I said worst “Broadway” musical R5. But yeah, I’ve heard that White Girl in Danger is awful, too.

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2023 8:29 PM

R5 White Girl In Danger?! Oh god. Please do tell us about this

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2023 8:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2023 8:39 PM

I'd expect a "The Producers" style scam was behind a flop of this magnitude, if Andrew Lloyd Weber weren't involved.

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2023 9:28 PM

Nobody ever shit on a show I was in.

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2023 9:31 PM

Somewhere Patti is laughing…

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2023 9:32 PM

Poor Cinderelly.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2023 9:33 PM

atleast someone seems to like the play

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2023 9:40 PM

Not since Carrie...

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2023 9:40 PM

Shit always recognizes shit.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2023 9:43 PM

Yet it's still not as fraudulent a show as CATS. Nothing could ever be.

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2023 10:33 PM

OP is myopic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2023 10:40 PM

Just how bad is this fairy tale woman?

Moderately bad or execrably bad?

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2023 10:45 PM

An artist of his caliber is permitted to have a misstep or two during the lifetime of a career filled with tremendous success

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2023 10:57 PM

[quote] a misstep or two

No, a misstep of four.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2023 10:59 PM

Andrew Lloyd Weber declined to attend opening. Son has Stage 4 cancer.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2023 11:12 PM

It can’t be as bad as Love Never Dies.

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2023 11:24 PM

Or Aspects Of Love.

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2023 11:39 PM

ALW needs to sober up.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2023 11:39 PM

I've seen shit in the aisle, but not shit on stage.

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 12:22 AM

Oh come on, Hillary, you debated shit onstage.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 2:38 AM

It does sound dreadful, but it doesn’t feel right putting the boot in ALW right now.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2023 12:01 PM

I have a feeling he couldn’t care less what happens with the show. His son is very ill and it has to be his priority.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2023 2:42 PM

He died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2023 8:26 PM

R30 oh no

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2023 12:05 AM

[quote] "Bad Cinderella"- everyone is shitting all over this new Broadway show

I hope just figuratively and not literally.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2023 12:25 AM

Um, R29?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2023 12:44 AM

Everyone is shitting on it

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2023 8:06 PM

Do the ushers hand you a roll of toilet paper when they seat you, or do you have to ask for it at the coat check?

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2023 8:20 PM

I feel bad for the actress who stars as Cinderella. I've never seen such critical attacks like what she's getting since last year with 'Funny Girl'.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2023 8:22 PM

Only Glenn Close can save this show too!

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2023 8:24 PM

Saw it tonight. First half of the first act had me hoping it would be another "fun bad" like "Dance of the Vampires ", but outside the queen and stepmother (Carolee Carmello, walking off with the show), I found it a Styrofoam slipper, not a glass one. The younger prince is cute, but I found Cinderella to be unexciting outside her voice. Definitely a frau show as there were lots of women in groups there, going gaga like a visit to a gay bar. Ultimately depressing that musical theater has become this.

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2023 2:55 AM

since they're all out of ideas, perhaps they should redo past flops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2023 3:03 AM

A reimagining of Cinderella, who’da thunk it??

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2023 3:10 AM

ALW is a soulless, crazy drunk, but he has so much money, and he's made theater owners worldwide so much money, that everyone says yes to all his crazy whims. Each of his recent shows have been a nightmare for the creative/production teams because he blames everyone but the composer. The Love Never Dies shitshow is legendary.

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2023 3:16 AM

This show doesn't appeal to me, really, based solely on the London cast recording. I don't think the score is awful, but it's not great by any stretch. ALW hasn't written a truly bulletproof show in quite a few years now, and seems to be out of ideas and good melodies. I used to live Broadway and a wide range of composers writing for musical theater, but the past 20 years have been a big disappointment. I cannot name more than a couple of shows I was interested in seeing or hearing. Most seem to be jukebox shows, or adaptations of kitschy Hollywood films like Legally Blonde and Mean Girls. I was terribly bored by Wicked and hated Hamilton. I mainly go to the opera now. For one, it can be much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2023 3:17 AM

Throughout the show, I heard strains of "In My Own Little Corner ". Saw the Rodgers and Hammerstein production twice with a recast fairy godmother. Hated that character in the ALW version. The show had the most unappealing lyrics I've heard in years. I disagree that it was far too scaled down. I know nothing about the original production, but thought it looked pretty lavish. One of the few things outside of Carolee I did enjoy. Hoping at least she gets a Tony nod. Most fun diva character for me since Beth Leavel in "The Prom".

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2023 8:38 AM

That’s the worst part, R38. It’s not “fun bad.” It’s a total slog.

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2023 9:31 AM

[quote] Of course, “bad” is a misnomer for Cinderella, whose “sky high IQ” and “style all her own” are meant to signal her virtue. But she is also, as portrayed here by Genao, obviously and objectively beautiful. Which is worth noting only because the entire reconceived plot of “Bad Cinderella” insists that its heroine is an ugly duckling. Cinderella’s moment of weakness — when she admits that she wants to be hot just like everyone else, and visits the town Godmother and cosmetologist (Christina Acosta Robinson) for a ball-worthy makeover — amounts to a wig change.

That sounds like a bad execution. It seems like the show wanted to frame its message branding around sexualized (and shallow) society / entertainment vs. wholesome values / entertainment.

[quote] You could hardly expect the townspeople of Belleville, who introduce themselves in a gyrating opening number called “Buns ‘n’ Roses/ Beauty Is Our Duty,” not to be juiced up and ready to cavort. Clad in a psychedelic fever dream of sexed-up Ancien Regime silhouettes (by costume and set designer Gabriela Tylesova), they are shallow, dumb and single-mindedly obsessed with being hot.

Of course, if they had committed more to that, it would've been slammed for being patronizing and potentially slutshaming.

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2023 10:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!